Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• bheaslipbheaslip Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that I live in Canada.
    My Olds is just about to turn 300K kilometers (about 160K miles)
    Mileage on the T.C. will be about 75K (kilometers) when the lease expires and is an Executive model.
    It retails for around $37,500.00 (Can.) (Which makes $30,000.00 U.S.(real money) sound about right).
    Any thought about what I might look for before the warranty expires?
  • limolimo Member Posts: 20
    Our fleet consists of nine T. C. s, model years 1995 (403+K miles) to a 2003 (<35k miles). We have experienced very, very few problems with these cars, but we also have a rigorous maintenance schedule for them. All of our cars and the van use FULL synthetic oil (Mobil, Castrol, etc.) in the engine, and Castrol full synthetic trans fluid. we also drain out all the fluids at 100K intervals and replace them with fresh fluid. We drain the brake fluid, rear end and power steering. We have never had to replace a coolant hose or heater hose on any of the cars. Regular maintainance is the absolute key to longevity, and the fact that we usually drive these cars 350 miles daily. There are no specific problems to be aware of, such as trans or drive line conditions. We have had a few "ABS" warning lights, especially in wet weather, but these correct themselves as they dry out.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My experience with Town Cars has been extraordinary. I think they are the best large car going, and I would never be afraid of them mechanically. Sounds like your mechanic is just a Ford bigot.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    New Executives are offered for $30 in Portland while Seattle offers new Signature Premiums for $33 USD. Check out autotrader in your area.
  • ehardison1ehardison1 Member Posts: 21
    I just purchased a new 2003 town car,executive series. It is my first Lincoln since my 1973 continental Mark3.So far I love it and just wanted to get on the board as I hope to be asking some questions and maybe answer some questions
    Congratulations, ehardison! You should enjoy it very much.
    Just got back from a 600 mile trip in my new town car. As expected it performed perfect and I averaged 24.7mpg and that included some severe traffic congestion around Knoxville,TN. tried to not maintain a consistent speed as the owners manual suggested,but that car wants to run.
    Overall I am extremely pleased with it.
    Lovely vehicle, isn't it?
    The owners manual specifies 5w/20 blended synthetic oil for my new town car. That is the thinest oil I have ever seen recommended for an automobile. Just wonder if that is the oil most of you use in your lincoln?
    Yes, and I recommend you follow. Todays engines are so different from the old cast iron engines we're used to. They need oil fast, and thin oil gets around. On the other hand, they're sealed very well, and don't burn or leak it, even when runny. But if you use the traditional 10-40, the oil won't flow as quickly on start up as it should, exposing critical areas to start up wear, and early engine failure. Believe me, the manufacturer knows what works best in their engines. The 4.6L engine is a great workhorse that if properly cared for, will run 200,000 miles easy without a teardown. I do wish it put out a wee bit more HP, but it is a lovely power plant. Give it the oil it deserves....
    Thanks for the information regarding oil.As you probably know,the factory gives a 3 yr,36,000 mile free service plan for the lincolns. I plan to take it to the dealer for that service and I am sure they will use the recomended oil.
  • hardy16hardy16 Member Posts: 1
    My '02 TC has several problems which the dealer indicates is simply common to all '02 TC's.

#1. Above 30 or 35 mph,there is excessive wind noise at the front doors. The dealer says it is caused by wind turbulance over and around the outside mirrors. This would seem to a design problem which Ford Motor Co should remedy.

#2. The emergency SOS feature, which is touted, will only work if the installed Sprint phone is activated. Sprint does not serve my area of the country, so I didn't activate the phone and do not, therefore, have the SOS feature. Some feature, huh? And frequently the radio is interrupted with a message that the phone system is disabled. A real annoyance!

#3. Headlights provide "panoramic" illumination of the roadway and are POOR compared to the illumination provided by more focused beam lights. Am told the '03 TC gives the buyer an option of "panoramic" OR focused beam.....but the people dissatisfied with the "panoramic" lights on the '02 are simply stuck!

This is the third TC and compared to the previous cars, this one has had lot taken out of it. While the riding comfort is excellent, it doesn't really offset the above problems nor others I've not mentioned.

This TC is probably my last one!
    It's true - the 03 is much improved over the 98-02 models. You bought just a smidge too early perhaps? Personally, I've never noticed the wind noise or headlight difficiency. And I have never had the SOS option.
    Have you owned this car since new? If so, those are extraordinary repairs, that you should be able to account for with some unusual wear and tear conditions, ie; daily use over very bad roads, mountain cornering, etc.

Did you ask them to check the suspension? If not, what were they doing under there anyway? Are you experiencing severe tire wear, or wierd handling or clunks up front? Otherwise, I have to surmise that your dealer is giving you the old, "graphite shaft", and I would say yes to the servo, no to the rest, or try a different dealer. Don't you have a L/M dealer where you live?
  • melliotmelliot Member Posts: 3
    The Ford dealer tells me that my 1997 Town car, 66,000 miles, needs a new servo for the Cruise Control which costs about $200. installed. Probably reasonable, I guess.

But they also say I need left inner and outer tie rods, $275 and lower ball joints $ 300. and alignment $60. I can't believe it, at 66,000 miles. I have never, in 40 years of driving had to do this sort of front end work at any mileage.

Is this a weak point on the Lincoln Town Car? Is it to be expected these days? Any possibility of a recall on either of these items? Also, my extended warranty for 75,000 miles expired in May 0f 2003. Is there ever any flexibility in these warranty situations?

Any help or comments on similar experiences would be appreciated.

Murray Elliot
    See post 884 for my opinion...
  • melliotmelliot Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, nvbanker, for your posting. The car has been in the family since new, driven first by my father and then myself. We are both conservative drivers. In our part of Southern Ontario the roads are excellent and there are no mountains.

They were checking the suspension because the steering had become hard and uneven. I don't question that there is a problem and the suspension area seems a reasonable explanation. What I am questioning is that the wear seems extremely premature. I have never, in 40 years of driving, had ball joint or tie rod problems. Now to have them at 66,000 miles seems disappointing.

To answer your last question, in Ontario Ford and LM dealers have both been selling both lines for some time now.

Murray Elliot
    Well, I completely agree, this is highly irregular for this problem to happen inside about 150,000 miles in my experience. That said, a second opinion, maybe from an independent shop may be worth your time. Evidently something is wrong, but it could also be your power steering pump, a loose belt, the steering box as easily as your tie rods & ball joints.
  • reddleg101reddleg101 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Tomorrow I pick up my 2000 Signature Series TC. It is silver with a moon roof. The previous owner took extra good care of it. It has almost 38,000 miles on it. My first Lincoln was a
    64-66 time frame with doors that opened from the center. Reading your posts, it seems the first thing I'll do is change all the fluids and go to synthetics. Thanks for all your posts.
    I have a 2003 Town car. The red flashing security light on the dash flashes continuously when the key is removed from the ignition, even when the car remains unlocked. I can't find in the manual if this is normal.
    I would appreciate the info if there is any way to stop this thing from blinking when it is parked in the garage unlocked.
    Thanks,
    The light is suppposed to flash any time the key is removed from the ignition, and it blinks continuously to let theives know that the system is active. No, it can not be turned off, and I don't know what would happen if the wires were cut or removed. Could be the fool thing would just blow the horn and flash the lights until the battery died, or a neighbor shoots it first.
    Thanks Limo,for some reason it just bothers me for a light to blink when it is not necessary.Of course that is my opinion as my garage is in my basement and we have a security system for the house,so I don't lock my car when it is in the garage. Oh well,I love the car and can put up with a blinking light.
    Don't go into therapy over the blinking light, ok? It's not that big a deal! Cover it over with a lid or something if it bothers you that much! But don't tamper - you could very easily disable your car as that's what the system is intended to do if it's messed with.
    Anybody out there want to talk about Lincolns.I would be interested in any accessories that you have added to your car.Mine is just basic and as you know they are well equipped,but I saw some accessories on the Lincoln site that looked interesting.
    Nothing I like better! But mine usually comes equipped so nicely, there's not much I want to add. What are you thinking about improving on yours?
    I have seen a few Lincolns with the chrome fender well moldings, but haven't decided to put them on mine.I also like splash guards but haven't seen one with them installed.Some sort of trunk mat would be nice. I installed the cargo net and it is very handy.Mine doesn't have fog lamps,but I didn't see them as a factory accessory for the Executive series and I would not be interested in after market lamps.
    As you said the Lincolns are well equipped and there is not much you can do to it and keep it looking as nice as it is. Just fishing for ideas.
    Ok, I see what type of stuff you're thinking about now. Let me recommend Griot's Garage. They have great stuff for meticulous cosmetic maintenance, and some mats, nets, and other doo dads you may like. I've never been an aftermarket kind of guy, which is one reason I think I gravitated to Lincoln so quickly. I like to get the top of the line unit, so I don't have to install anything or covet somebody elses car when I see it. It already has it all. I don't even like to upgrade the wheels beyond the optional factory units. I get the nice ones usually, and that satisfies me.

If you have the executive, you could add the DSP stereo with CD changer if you don't have it. Maybe upgrade the wheels to the chrome ones.
    Thanks for the Griot's Garage site. I looked at some of the things availiable, but not all of it. I will soon.
    I have the standard Executive wheels and like themOK. Might be interested in the cd player as mine has the one cd only player.
    Hmmmm.....didn't know they still did that. Well, I believe you can hook up the CD changer in the trunk to that tuner with just a plug in, and have both. You should get a NO CDDJ message when you push the right button, telling you that's the case, if it's the case. I had that tuner in my 98 Mountaineer, plus the changer. It was a nice combo.
    You may have me on to something.I am not aware of a cd changer in the trunk. Where would it be? I am pretty sure the manual does not mention it but I am going to review it again. I will let you know what I find.
    Thanks,
    It would be on the left side of the trunk, behind a panel.
    Checked my trunk and manual again and definitely don't have a cd changer. I have the premium sound with single cd. A changer is something I will chec out.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    I have recently become the proud owner of my dad's '88 garage-queen Cartier and I need some help locating the wire-wheel center spinner caps. What a bad design! Three are loose, one has finally broken off one of the tabs and fallen off in my hand. All are in excellent shape except the spring retainers are garbage. Seeing a car like this with a spinner missing makes me want to puke. Any ideas? Also - chronic problem with auto-dimming mirror electrical connector plug-in. Those who have one are probably familiar with the problem. Any hope for that one?
    Wow, actually, I've never heard of either of these problems. But that doesn't mean you're the only one.

Currently, I'm on vacation, in a Town Car rental. It's an 03 Signature, and I'm pretty dismayed to note the absence of lumbar support on the front seats, and generally poor support in the seats altogether. Anybody know what's up with that? Am I just spoiled with my Navigator seats back home? Otherwise, this T/C which is pretty long in the tooth for a rental, (21,000 miles) runs and rides like a dream. Seems like all the money has been put into the running gear, and the cabin has been neglected T/C is currently off my list for potential replacement vehicles.
    My 03 executive town car has lumbar controls for the front seats. They are located on the front of each seat.Hard to believe the signature series doesn't have them,but as I don't have that series,I can't say that for sure.
    Probably the best thing you can do for your TC is use synthetic engine oil and synthetic trans fluid, changing them on a regular basis. We also flush out the trans on our cars every other fluid change, thus getting substantially extended life. We have late 90's vintage TCs with over 300K and the original trans and engine working happily. We have installed cross drilled. slotted rotors on all four wheels on our sedans, along with titanium matrix, "dustless" pads to cut down on the dusting of the front wheels, since we won't use brake shields. These rotors are not expensive, last forever, prevent tramping of the wheels from warped rotors and bring these heavy cars to a stop right now, no questions asked. We get ours from the Brake Warehouse, Greenville, S. C., (800-814-0702, Randy) Other gadgets and goodies are available from some the limousine aftermarket suppliers at really good prices, things not generally available to the public.
    I would never have looked for the controls there, but shazzam! There they were. So, sadly, my last day with the T/C, but my ride to the airport should be more comfy now, and I feel better that this essential feature hasn't been thrifted out of the car. Now, is there an air conditioned feature for these seats that I can't find too? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.....
    Thanks Limo for the information. I do plan to use synthetic oils in my town car and will consider the rotors ,if and when mine need turning or replacing.I will keep looking around for some of the gadgets,etc that I would like for my car.
  • alisteralister Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2000 Lincoln Continental with 63k miles on it in March of 2003, very clean & like new, it is now Sept 2003 and it has 84k miles on it. Thats over 20k in about 6 months. I drive 200 miles total a day, at about 85 mph, commuting to and from work. I get about 25 miles to the gallon and have changed the oil about every 3k to 4k miles. It runs like a charm and is quite fast. I also live in the Midwest and it works great in the snow with front wheel drive, seat heaters, and heated mirrors. I am very happy so far and am greatful that I have found a car that can withstand the commute & weather. Even at 90 mph sustained for over an hour the engine acts like we are going 20 mph. This car is a champ, and am very satisfied. Too bad they are not making the Conti anymore.

I also heard that Ford bought Jaguar and that may be why the Conti is well constructed as of 2000.
    I think you may have been holding the newspaper upside down. Ford's purchase of Jag was for Jag's benefit, not the other way around. We should all thank the Great One for not having Conti's built "as good as Jags"!
    Ford's purchase of Jag was obviously intended to be for Ford's benefit (like $). What I meant to say was that it was TO Jag's benefit (like superior design, manufacturing, marketing, etc.) So there.
    Ford acquired Jag in about 94, I think, and put out the first "Ford Jag" design in 98, which was a HUGE improvement in reliability. It had the first V-8 in a Jag, quite a controversy at the time. But you're right about one thing with relation to the Continental. In 98, the Continental also took on some Jaguar styling cues, particularly on the trunk and taillights.
    And yes, it's a great car!
  • alisteralister Member Posts: 2
    nvbanker,
    You are right, I do see a ton of Jags from a distance on the road and mistake the tail as a Continental all the time.
    I stopped at a dealer to pick up a part yesterday and was again surprised to find the new part from the dealer to be much cheaper than a used part from one of the many "on-line" junk yards. Although dealers are usually much more expensive (especially for labor), I guess the lesson is to not assume that and check first.

Anyway, to my point.... while I was there I checked out the 03 TC and continue to be underwhelmed with the stiff, cheap-feeling leather on the seats. I remember a day, not so long ago, that "glove leather" was used on Lincolns and Caddys that melted to the touch. Now its all this hard, featureless stuff that makes me feel like I'm sitting in a Honda. What gives? Is it cheaper? More durable? Cows are harder nowadays?
    I don't know, but the seats since 98, seem to have been getting worse each year, and have become probably my biggest knock on the current Town Car. It's not just the leather, which may be more expensive, I don't know. But they're not sculpted like they used to be, no lateral support, no bottom support. Just not "inviting or comfy" for me anymore. My Navigator seats are spectacular by comparison, and really spoil me for rentals now. Even in the signature.
  • easywayeasyway Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Town Car that the clear coat has peeled off the front bumper. Does anyone know of this problem. Your help is needed before I call the dealer. Thanks
  • gdblakegdblake Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if there is a rubber preservative that can be sprayed on the outside of the air bags, that will delay cracking
    Uh, unless there's been some damage to the bumper, you should be covered on that no problem. You don't have over 50,000 miles do you?
    The cracking of the air bags is caused by stress at the point where the bottom of the bag curves inward to meet the metal support. The constant flexing produces minute cracks that eventually penetrate the surface of the bag enough to permit leakage. If the car isn't driven regularly, or is usually only occupied by the driver, this inward fold doesn't get a chance to flex and distribute the load over a greater surface area, leading to failure. We find that we need to replace the bags at about 150k miles, or once every two years. Ever hear one of those babies blow??? If I were to put anything on the bags, it would be a rubber preservative/dressing such as Stoners "More Shine, Less Time" for tires. (Stoner Products, Quarryville, Pa., 900-227-5538)
    or some other product designed for that purpose.
    Uh-Oh! The correct number for Stoner Products is 800-227-5538. Mea Culpa.