Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• coderedcodered Member Posts: 43
    i have a 1990 with 4 wheel disc brakes..i have brake job on the back..now the E brake will not let go all the way.. can smell brakes getting hot.. not sure what a could have done..any help would be great..thanks billy
  • lorettsloretts Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum. I am looking at a 1996 Chevy Lumina, 3.1 V6, 95,000 on the body, with a rebuilt engine of 60,000. Standard features, ABS, AC, driver and passenger airbags,, new battery, new front brakes and rotors, power door locks, manual windows. The previous owner did not keep an eye on engine coolant and blew the engine. A mechanic, (who is now the seller of this vehicle), put the new engine in, as well as the new brakes, battery. He also has done some of the service on the car, the alternator recently.

I went over the car with my limited experience. Could not drive it on highway off the lot, no plates, but seems fine. Auto trans shifts smoothly. Engine purrs nicely. Interior is a bit beat, dirty front carpets.
    Looking under while on lift, I noticed rear suspension looks flaky rusty, as well as rear brakes drums. Should I be concerned about this? The mechanic said this is normal for a car of this age. However, the front end did not look as rusty, and the 18 year old truck that I drove over in, when I got down and looked underneath for comparison was not as rusty. The car sat for a little while till a new engine came along.
    Rest of car seems clean, except for a small paint bubble on right side lower back end of car. Car fax has no alerts.
    The mechanic wants to get $2500. I would appreciate some feedback about this car, as I have not owned a Chevy.
    hi i have a 1990 2dr with 134k on it...the 3.1 is a good motor . i get 20 to 21 mpg in city..with a/c round 18 to 19..not a lot of trouble just small stuff..if need parts try newgmparts.com...good luck sounds like a good car
  • carnovcarnov Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my lumina 3.1, 95 model.
    How did you solve the problem. Was the heater element/air conditioner to blame and if so how do I fix it?
    Thanks
  • fast68fast68 Member Posts: 6
    i am looking at a 1992 lumina Z34, it is bright red and really clean body but dirty interior than needs cleaned, but good shape otherwise, it needs a head gasket replaced but runs, what would be a fair value on something like this ? especially in a regioin where cars this age are not very common as others are- especially better ones such as the Z34 ?

thanks for anything
    R
  • jguffeyjguffey Member Posts: 1
    My grandson has a 1992 Lumina in my garage. the right side mirror is broken. i have a replacement. I have no idea how to find the bolts to remove mirrow. i removed the small screw but it does not allow acces to bolts. i did not want to break the plastic door panel. help me please.

Jim
  • opiedog2002opiedog2002 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Lumina and I was wondering if the transmission from a 1995 olds cutlass would fit because the transmission I have in my 93' is shot. Would the halfshafts be different in the 1993 than in the 95? I bought this transmission under the impression that the transmission would be completely compatable so if anyone can help I would appreciate it a lot. :confuse:
  • ipm79ipm79 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me the transmission output specs for a 97 Chevy Lumina (Car) with the 3100 engine. I need the specs for 1st gear, 2nd gear.....etc. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    Thanks.
    as long as they are the same model(4T60E most likely) (4 speed auto)and have the same electrical plugs then they should be interchangeable yes
    you could do a transmission search on car-part.com

alot of the times the car year make and model is listed on the results for parts searches

good luck
  • tpayertpayer Member Posts: 2
    hello i am looking for a ASG 5.0L V8 engine for my lumina Z34. and a kick [non-permissible content removed] body kit can someone help me out.
  • oscarmoscarm Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone I own a 1996 chevy lumina with about 130k miles on it she's a 3.4 V6 she ran great until I notice oil spills and if I passed 60mph, it started to shake a little. Well today I tried to take her apart to change the spark plugs, I have a shop manual and I notice oil in the around the spark plugs and a lot of it I removed the head and two of the seals for the spark plugs where a little twisted out of shape one in the front and the other in the rear where the spark plugs went I was going to remove fuel rail because I notice oil and antifreeze moisture around the area but I'm stuck I don't know what to do the manual does not really tell me anything else ??? :confuse:
    hi there, oil around the spark plugs is normal and commonly seen, and is fine as long as its in the threads or on the porcelain part of the plug only

sounds like an external leak, valve cover most likely

no need to remove the heads

if you end up finding out the engine is bad then lemme know as i have a good running 3.4L in a 92 Z34 i may sell/part out

make offer for engine or parts

good luck
    randy
    for sale for 650 bucks as is or may part out or trade for a good old work truck heavier the better,

-needs head gasket or intake gasket it was burning some water, so i parked it
    -has been parked a few months,
    -everything is fine except for the head gasket, and the front bumper top side of it is sun faded, and the GFX below it cracked,
    -and it needs the carpeting shampoo'd
    -no sterio,
    -new windshield it was replaced last year,
    -good tires,
    -factory 16" mag wheels,

pics:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/fast68/randys%20vehicles/Z34Lumina001.jpg-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/fast68/randys%20vehicles/Z34Lumina002.jpg-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/fast68/randys%20vehicles/Z34Lumina003.jpg-

it is in central IL on I-55 exit 123 betwene springfield and bloomington
    ttt still for sale or parts :D
  • primnumbersprimnumbers Member Posts: 2
    my 96 lumina has no ele power to the starter sometimes, it will not start. It has a factory secutiry system and an after mrkt radio. please help
  • 91euro91euro Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1992 Lumina Euro, I may be getting ahold of the bumpers, side skirts, trunk lid, hood and liscenceplate/revers lights form a 1993 Z34, does anybody know if all of those parts are interchangeable between the two?

I know the reverse lights and bumpers are different, but the Z34 liscenceplate holder and reverse lights should bolt into place of my original revers lights and fit because it will have the z34 bumper right?

I dont see why the side skirts or front bumper or hood wouldnt bolt up, but it anybody has any ideas or suggestions that would be great!

thanks!
    i have a 90 Lumina.....it has a noise that kicks in round 40mph......its not there when wheel is pulled to the right...i was told driver side wheel hub...but still not fixed .....any info would be great...thanks
  • deborahfdeborahf Member Posts: 15
    Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased my Lumina. Had the oil changed. That's not the problem. After purchased (from Step-dad)I looked under the car and noticed that is had a bunch of oil underneith. It also drips a few drops after I drive it. Slow drip. When I had the oil changed I asked the mechanic if he would look at it. He says he "thinks" it may be the Valve cover gasket. How do I tell if it is that or if it is the head gasket? The car seems to be running fine and makes no unusal noises.
    Another question: I looked in the "Reserve tank"...for the antifreeze. It is extremely low and looks nasty. Planning on getting a flush. Can you tell me exactly what is done when they do this.
    I apprieciate every anwser. I am a woman and would like to go into this knowing like I know something about what is done. Thanks
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Is the coolant green or red? I believe GM did not switch to Dexcool (red coolant) until 1996. Dexcool has been the subject of many complaints. I would get the flush and new coolant. If the leak problems persist (oil and coolant), I would get an oil analysis to make sure the coolant is not leaking into the oil. This would cause major engine damage. Also, GM vehicles with the 3.1 liter V6 engine tend to have a leaking intake manifold gasket. Most Lumina models used this engine. If this is the problem you need to get it fixed as soon as possible. Good luck.
    jpf....Thanks for replying. I checked the color in the reserve tank and it looks like it is supposed to be green. I rubbed between fingers and it feels pretty oily. :cry: It probably shouldn't feel that way...that's my guess. We are probably talking big bucks getting a dealer to repair...
    Deborah.
    Does anti-freeze feel oily to the touch? If I needed the intake manifold gasket replaced, should this be done before the radiator flush? Is there any other parts that would need to be replaced while repairing the above? Radiator hoses? Thermostat? Also...when checking the air-conditioner, what does that involve?
  • annalynneannalynne Member Posts: 1
    I need to remove the back spring system from my neighbors car. Dose anyone hava clue on how to do it, where the bolts are? What does it involve? Is it hard? Please help. :sick: The rear end of the car almost touches the ground and makes for a rough ride.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The best way to determine if oil is in the anti-freeze is to have an analysis done. If the oil and coolant are mixing you need to find the problem and have it fixed right of way. I suggested a leaking intake gasket may be your problem because this problem is common with GM's V6's. Changing the coolant without fixing the problem is just a short-term fix until the coolant got contaminated again. I would also change the hoses and thermostat. Good luck.
  • jasper60103jasper60103 Member Posts: 22
    Does anti-freeze feel oily to the touch? If I needed the intake manifold gasket replaced, should this be done before the radiator flush? Is there any other parts that would need to be replaced while repairing the above? Radiator hoses? Thermostat? Also...when checking the air-conditioner, what does that involve?

deborahf,
    when I replaced my intake manifold gasket, I had them change my thermostat as well. Only adds a couple dollars to the job.
  • peter6f2peter6f2 Member Posts: 1
    95 Lumina sedan.
    not able to put the transmission in Park any more.
    key cannot be removed from ignition.
    anyone know how the lockout device works and how to repair it?
  • jwtee1961jwtee1961 Member Posts: 4
    my buddy and I just bought a Lumina here in the uk,it went great for about 6 miles then cut out no amount of persuasion would make it start sounds like a sensor to me anybody got other ideas. p.s no bad noises or grinding or
    gnashing of teeth when she gave up the ghost p.p.s this vehicle has to get us from uk to the gambia(africa)any tips/advice?
  • mindmeldmindmeld Member Posts: 4
    So my wife has a 98 Chevy lumina which is up to about 210,000 miles now. Just yesterday she went to start it and all the electronics came up but it didn't start. The third try it started fine. When she was home from work where this happened I went out and tried my key with the same issue. The security light was coming on during these tests and a look in the manual pointed to a possible issue with the security system between the key and the engine.

I've noticed some other posts on here with something similar although I am seeing people having replaced thier starters. It sounds like this is not as critical as I had originally assumed however has anyone else dealt with this and know a fix. Am I looking at just needing to clean the ignition where the keys go and then being fine. Or do I need to replace the starter or the security sensor? Thanks for the help.
    Addition to my last post,Lumina now starts but when put into drive it cuts again(do these things have "sense of humour" chip installed by chevrolet?).The only thing I can put my finger on is when she starts she is pulling about 2000rpm.Is there an inbuilt safety device to stop her taking off like a "scalded cat"?.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I had similar problem with a Ford here in the UK.I was told that when you insert the key the transponder tells the security system "Hi it's me", but the system is saying no its not.I know this sounds silly but the guy at the garage thought I was a retard.It boiled down to some water having got into the ECU I had to get a recon one and get it re-coded
    What was the cost on that? I think i could replace one myself easily enough but recoding sounds pricy.
    Recon ECU £125stg(as opposed to £400 new) £50stg to re-code but make sure you get someone who really knows his stuff as a cut price job with these things normally means you really get to know the bus driver well!!.Find out where the little bugger is located,wrap some tissue around a small stick and have a poke around,if it comes out wet or damp this could be your problem.Also check out local salvage yards if they are selling you an ECU they surely will know someone who can brainwash it.
    Intersting. Alright thanks much jwtee. I'll go pull the book on it since it's in the truck and see how it looks. I'm going to arm myself with some q-tips and paper towels and some rubbing alcohol and see if that does it to because that would be a might bit cheaper. Hopefully it doesn't need replacing. Thanks again.
    So I just went down to the car armed with a few items and a spare key we had located some time ago. It has not been used much at all to my knowledge and with this key the car started without issue 5 times in a row. My wife had noticed earlier in the day that when she put her key in and turned it to "ON" that if the security light was blinking it would not start. If it was solid she found herself fine.

With this new key it was solid all the time tested and I was surprised. I took my key and cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip and when tested it also worked fine. Could this have been some strange fluk with the car or could the keys have just been dirty enough to cause a problem. As long as it doesn't come up again, I don't care. : ) Thanks for all the responses and help everyone.
  • misspatmisspat Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1995 Lumina and the same thing happened to me a few years back. After numerous times of trying to get it into park. We drove into a mechanic shop that we knew and he looked and said it was a shifting arm under the hood. Mine was cracked and was stopping it from going into park. Sometimes it would land just right and you could put it in park. But as time went on it was getting harder and harder to keep it there. So please have someone check under the hood for the shifting arm and see if that is your problem. Piece is a little pricey but will fix the problem.
  • misspatmisspat Member Posts: 4
    My security lockout went out on mine a few years back and had to replace it. It will let you put your key in and then it will not start. The light keeps flashing on your security light. "RIGHT"?. Have someone check this device before you do anything else. Some cars let you use a bypass code from the radio and to disengage it. But some models do not let you. Mine was the one that you could not bypass and had to replace the system which is a bit pricey $300.00 to $500.00 depending where you take it. It is located in back of the glovebox in the dash board. Hope this might give you some insight that it could be the security system itself.
  • dmacstdmacst Member Posts: 1
    Car was not driven for 10 days and will not start, battery completely dead. Previously everything was fine. I tried to jump start for one hour and interior lights, dispay warning messages on dash, were activated and radio. Car will still not start. In addition, the theft detection audio alarm was activated and goes into alarm when I open the door, turn key and mysteriously. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
  • duece69duece69 Member Posts: 3
    i had same problem i went to john deere shop got a push botton switch hooked one wire to starter and one wire to ground post on battery now i turn switch on and push the botton and it startes nobody could fig.out what was wrong
  • ladylumina90ladylumina90 Member Posts: 1
    Ok: Car is leaking something (oil I believe the Mech. said). The reserve coolant (i believe it's called) is low (even though just got oil change). Car too hot (specially under my feet inside car). I have gotten the low coolant warning and took care of it. Car shakes terrible past 45 mph (no not the steering wheel). The car has a strong smell of something leaking or burning inside When I put gear on drive, that gear changes too hard (aggressively). One mech. said don't bother and get rid of her cause the cost of the head gasket change is too expensive. Suggestions please!!! :( I do not want to get rid of her and I need her around until the end of this year, at least! :cry:
  • 1987ss1987ss Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, I have a code 43, which is the control module. I replaced it last week and i still have the same code 43 back. And i still have the same problem. When i first start it up, it runs very rough to where it almost dies, BUT it is only like this during the first 10-20 seconds. After that it smooths out and runs perfectly smooth. It does this everytime i start it, after it sits more than an 30 minutes or so. If i start it quickly, like 5 or 10 minutes after i shut it off, then it will start fine though. I did replace all the plugs and wires during the same time that i replaced the module. Someone said my computer might be bad. So what do you guys think? :confuse:
    Not sure but they are notorious for intake gaskets leaking. Just about every 3.1 has that issue. Maybe u should get a second opinion and get the intake gasket looked at. JMO
  • ssoperatorssoperator Member Posts: 4
    The intake manifold problem is common with the 3.1 Ltr engine, but make sure you get the actual GM replacement part. If you get an aftermarket part, it may be of the same faulty design as the original and may need to be replaced again. Me and my wife went through this experience with her 1999, and had many headaches with it. :lemon:
  • crissydcrissyd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 chevy lumina that keeps overheating. I think there might be a clog because I have tried everything else. Of course being a lumina it could be in intake manifold, but before i go there I would like to drain the antifreeze and check to see if its clogged but im not where the drain plug is.
  • troubled2utroubled2u Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone I am a disbled man now with a disabled car lol right! Well I have no rear break lights but the top mount does work. I have checked fuses, wiring and replaced the bulbs and well still no lights what can be the cause of this and go gently because I have price shock these days.
  • tracey12_12tracey12_12 Member Posts: 6
    My Lumina is great, but in Texas without AC you're in bad shape during the summer.
    The blower in the interior died. I'm looking for someone who has knowledge of how to replace the fan and where its located. HELP! BURNING UP!

THANKS!
    Well, on 90-94 models, the fan is under the dash on the far passenger side. It's not real hard to change, but its a pain because of having to bend underneath there to work on it. If it's a 1995 or newer, then im not sure if they are in the same place or not.
  • tracey12_12tracey12_12 Member Posts: 6
    This is a 2000 model. I looked up the part at Oreillys and it looks simple to replace.
    Does anyone know if the fan is located on the passenger side of the dash underneath?
    I have got to replace this thing asap as it is HOT!

Thanks!
  • kiowakidzkiowakidz Member Posts: 3
    Folks, I ran across a 2001 Lumina, 111,000 miles, $1500, 3.1l V6, first year of it's life it was as a rental, then spent the rest if it's time with one owner. I've read and understand about the intake manifold gasket issues. My questions are: How much have folks paid to replace the gasket replacement. Are there any other big issues I should look for? The vehicle has been taken care, the price is right and it fits my needs. Overall, have y'all been happy with the reliability of your Lumina's? Thanks for the help!!!
  • duece69duece69 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2001 and a 1997 lum. the problem i have is with head gaskets both car are sittin up right now i have replaced gasket on both and they didnt last long...but i love them lum.need to find new motors for at least 1 so i can ride
  • jgoodhartjgoodhart Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 lumina euro. 140,000 miles. I have recently changed the intake gasket, throttle position sensor, rod bearings, oil pump, fuel pump, alternator, cleaned the idle air control sensor and the main computer. the car will run great and then intermittently(?) the engine will faulter, hesitate spit and sputter, lack power, and then after a few seconds, will run great again. The times change, sometimes the faulter situation will last a few seconds, other times a few mins, and yet others will last the entire drive 20mns or so. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. There are no engine codes. The service engine light does work,(it comes on when you turn the key as normal) any suggestions???? please help as I love this car
    Well, i had a similar problem with my 93, and it ended up being the Ignition module or 1 of the ignition coils. Could even be an arcing wire...... I didn't know what to replace, so i just bought the ignition module and all 3 coil packs and put them on, and it never ran like that again. So im not sure which one of the 4 items fixed it........Mine had the 3.1......