Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• deepthinkerdeepthinker Member Posts: 13
    I have the S40 T5 AWD. If all wheel drive doesn't matter too much to you, then I think the TSX is tough to beat on value, considering all the stuff that comes standard on it. I'm sure with it being a honda/acura, reliability must be pretty good. It's also the European Honda Accord, so between sales here and over there, they must sell a pretty good amount of them, so I'm sure most major bugs have been worked out by now. If you're comparing the S40 without the turbo to the TSX, then I'm sure the TSX is more fun, and it's quicker. And I'm sure the 4 cylinder TSX is pretty good on gas. So if you're comparing front wheel drive to front wheel drive, seems like the TSX might be the better choice, although I don't know how prices compare. Also, especially if AWD does matter to you, you could get a 2003 BMW 325xi for, I think, low $20k range. One of my friends who did that got an extended warranty that covered ALL service until 100,000 miles. They drive really nice. Good luck!
  • kastenckastenc Member Posts: 2
    I'm a new owner of a 2005 S40 T5 AWD, and generally pleased with the car. But, I've mistakenly assumed that I could replace the regular rear view mirror with an auto-dimming w/compass variety. To my dismay, no one in my area (dealer included) say than can put on an after-market mirror. Any ideas?
  • kastenckastenc Member Posts: 2
    I'm very pleased to be getting 32-33 mpg on the highway, and 26 mpg, combo city/highway. I thought the AWD would cost something in the mileage, but this is much better than my previous Audi A4 Quatro.
  • s40guys40guy Member Posts: 1
    I had my volvo serviced Tuesday and they said the brake pads and rotors were extremely warn and ready for replacement. This is a 2000 s40 with 38,000 miles. The total cost is $545. Is this a reasonable cost? They also said the pads usually last around 17 to 19 thousand miles. Does all this sound plausible?
    thanks
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    Their names aren't familiar yet but the Swedes are producing the hottest supercars in the world. The Koenigsegg CCR now holds world record top speed @ 241+ mph (beating out McLaren). . . Both Saab and Volvo lend their hands in the making of the record breaking supercar. With the arrival of these supercars, owning a Swede car suddenly becomes a hot commodity. Beside the safety conscious crowds, people buying Volvo today are the youngs and fashionably sensitive.

http://www.koenigsegg.com/

Another impressive manufacturer of supercar coming out of Sweden

http://www.bebi.se/
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe you'd like to start a discussion on the Automotive News & Views board about these supercars?
  • volvomusevolvomuse Member Posts: 1
    Yes I have the same problem with the window noise. I get the squeaking noise backing up sometimes but wasn't sure where it was coming from. I have under 2000 miles on it and I'm seeing some deep scratches on the roof. I haven't been in to the dealer yet but will probably go in soon.
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    I recently purchased a 2006 S40 awd and I am scheduled to have a Volvo OEM auto dim mirror installed on Monday May 1 by my Volvo dealer. I'll let you know what happens. :confuse:
  • hal9000hal9000 Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 05 V50 in for various problems and the loaner both times was an 06 S40 T5..it has about 400 miles on it and there is constant wind noise from the drivers window above 30mph...no wind noise on my V50...but it does have it's own issues(new power steering pump etc.) with 3,000 miles on it.
    No wind noise withmine. BTW my mirror was not replaced on Monday. It seems they ordered the wrong part.I'll be back with a report. :confuse:
  • auto2006auto2006 Member Posts: 8
    I had a dealer locate a 06 S40 T5 AWD(Silver) for me about a week ago; still haven't picked up. I'm currently rethinking my initial plan of buying this vehicle based on the comments I have read. I don't have the time/patience to spend at the dealership chasing down problems. Any suggestions. :confuse:
    I've not had any problems with the car or my dealer...in fact I've been highly satisfied with both. I would suggest that you keep an eye on the current manufacturer's incentives to the dealer...$2500 could sure make a difference in your bottom line. :)
  • auto2006auto2006 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the response. I will take your information into consideration. Do you have a problem with the brake pedal and gas pedal being too close.
    I wear a size 8 shoe...and I'm used to shifting a performance car where close was preferred..it is close but I've not had a problem. Be sure you try it out in case that's an issue :D for you.
    Good luck,
    Charlie
  • sics40t4sics40t4 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I have been thrashing my 99s40t4 for the past 5 years and after 250000klm and new front tyres every 5000ks I have finally destroyed the bottom end and require a new long motor. I live in Australia and am toyingg with the idea of importing one from the USA due to the dramatic rise in th $AU. Does anyone know how to find wreckers in the US?
  • hal9000hal9000 Member Posts: 7
    Just a heads up for S40/V50 owners..there is a recall for some(16,000) vehicles with the T5 engine..fuel line can leak and cause fire..no VIN#'s given..recall #06V137000 so give Volvo a call if you're not sure.
    1-800-458-1552
    M-F 8:30am-7:00pm
  • johnnyvolvojohnnyvolvo Member Posts: 4
    Anyone out there getting really poor MPG from their 2005 and up S40? I'm lucky if I get City mileage when I'm on the highway. In the city? wow.

On another note, Has anyone else noticed that brake dust build up is on the rear wheels instead of the front? I had someone tell me there was a dust boot of some sort on the front discs but when I ask the head mechanic at my Volvo dealer, he looked at me like I was crazy.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Are you sure you're not running around w/ the parking brake on?

What kind of fuel do you use?
    How fast do you drive?
    Do you do alot of short trips, alot of stop and go?

As for the brakes, the front brakes do most of the work so they should have most of the dust.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Essentially the same car as the S40 and we also had the rear wheels brake dust problem. Dealer replaced the pads at 6k miles & voila...no more brake dust! Must have been some new kind of cleaner brake pads. Check with the Mazda dealer about which pads have the least brake dust and see if they'll fit on your S40. Bet they will.

The Sandman :)
  • deepthinkerdeepthinker Member Posts: 13
    Just to throw in my experience regarding fuel economy: I was disappointed with the MPG for my 06 S40 T5 when I first got it. I was struggling to keep it over 22 MPG in mixed driving. (I always use 93 octane fuel). As the car passed about 4000 or so miles, the MPG seemed to improve. My MPG is now over 24, and my driving pattern hasn't changed at all. At 5000 miles, my car is at 24.2 MPG overall since my first fill up.
    Absolutely positive. This car has done this since I picked it up.

As for speed...not fast, not slow..... middle of the road I guess. I use premium fuel, as recommended and almost all my driving is on the highway. Very little in the city.

I'm wondering if there is something with the brakes that is causing the poor mileage, but getting the dealer to even consider that there might be a problem is like pulling teeth.

You would think I had insulted his integrity by even suggesting such a thing.

Car has 15k miles on it BTW. Last tank of gas got me almost 300 miles. barely.....
  • treacheroustreacherous Member Posts: 22
    How are paint jobs holding up on the S40's? Specifically many chips on the front end and hood?

Thanks!
    Anyone hear anything on better iPod integration for '07? Even if it is just an AUX in jack?

Thanks!
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    I couldn't start my S-40 yesterday. The error message flashed "Immobilizer," which is odd, since I keep my spare key in a desk draw. No power at all, everything was dead. I tried 30 minutes later, there was some life & I got a message "Low Battery," then nothing.
    I called Roadside Assistance for a tow to the dealer, where I left the car. Will find out the problem tomorrow but looks like a bad battery
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=57811

S40

Standard Features:

. Dynamic Stability Traction Control (DSTC) standard on all variants
    . T5 FWD – Automatic transmission becomes standard
    . New, more premium overhead console
    . Puddle lights deleted from all variants

Packages/Options:

. Aux Input and MP3 Capability added to 2.4i Select Package and T5 Audio Package
    . Sirius Satellite Radio available as stand alone option on all variants (requires Select Pkg on 2.4i and Audio Pkg on T5 FWD/AWD)

. Body Styling Package added to 2.4i (Body Kit and Trunk Spoiler)
    . T5 Premium Package adds Auto Dim Mirror with Compass and Homelink
    . T5 FWD/AWD Convenience Package has been deleted
    . Integrated Dual Booster Cushions and IAQS have been deleted as stand alone options

Colors:

. Titanium Grey added
    . Flint Grey deleted">link title
    Yes, those are the changes.
    If the brakes were rubbing against the rotors, then that could explain the extra dust and the mileage.

300 miles on a tank.
    The S40 has a small tank. The Federal version has a 15.9 gallon tank and the CA version has a 14.5 gal tank.
    Since there is essentially a 2 gallon reserve, and no one runs their car to dead empty typically you are pumping 12-14 gallons into your car every fill up.
    300 miles @ 12 gallons= 25mpg. 300 miles @ 14 gallons= 21.4 mpg.
    Next time, keep track of exactly how many gallons you pump and what the mileage on the car is.
    Actually I said " almost 300 miles"

That was almost 300 miles, almost all of which were highway miles, and yes, there is a reserve.

At the end of that "almost 300 miles" I put in 52 liters ( I live in Germany, and no, I'm not the guy in the fast lane.) which comes out to 21.8 miles to the gallon.

If you think that's acceptable highway mileage from a 2.4 liter 5 cylinder, especially these days, well......I have a nice Ford Escape SUV that I'd like to sell you.

It gets the same mileage as the Volvo. And IT has a V6. C'mon, I'll make you a nice bargain on it.:-)

Frankly, mileage and power is always a trade off. One for the other. If I won't be getting more that 21-22 MPG, I expect my little Volvo should be MUCH more powerful.
    Well, was it 295? 298? 275?

Problem w/ determining fuel mileage is that you can't use "almost"
    Speed also has a bearing on mileage. The EPA tests highway mileage @ 55 mph. The autobahn permits much greater speeds, even on the restricted parts.
    I am not certain that there isn't something wrong with your car, but you are going to have to be more rigorous in your mileage calculations in order to determine what, if anything is wrong.
    Actually,

It was 290. I rounded it up to 300 hundred for this conversation because I hadn't specified earlier.

I intentionally left out that I was living in Germany, because as soon as you say the words, everyone assumes you drive 120 mph to work and back. I do not. In point of fact, most folks don't either. Gas is over $5 a gallon here. These folks aren't stupid. They keep the speeds reasonable.
    Oh sure, there is the occasional rich guy, in the company owned car....but in their own car, the one they put the gas in and not the company, they keep down to 65 or so. Much like the US.

So....For the purposes of this chat, 52 liters / 3.79 = 13.72 gallons

300 miles / 13.72 gallons = 21.86 miles per gallon.

290 / 13.72 gallons = 21.13 MPG

Either way, a pretty poor showing. But....I'll bugger off, limp down to the dealer and apologize for having wasted his time, my money, and having received such a verbal thrashing at the hands of an obvious intellect such as yourself.

I came here hoping I could get a little insight into other peoples experience. Perhaps I got the wrong spot.
    Before you do go off in such a snit.
    I said that I did not discount the possiblity that your car has a problem.
    BEFORE such a determination can be made a more thorough analysis of your actual driving conditions, fuelling and mileage needs to be made.
    Obviously, your mileage is atypical for the S40, there must be some reason.
    Getting huffy won't help you. You came here for advice, and I tried to give it to you based on what little you have told me. I hope that your dealer is able to solve your probem. I don't know how dealers in Germany operate, but I am sure you will get farther by being nice to the dealer than in treating him rudely.
    I have a 2006 T5 AWD with auto trans and 2600 miles. On a recent 1200 mile trip averaging 63 mph I got 30.4 mpg. My local mixed driving (2/3 country roads)is averaging 23.5 mpg. A lot of factors come into play especially rapid acceleration and hard braking...but if one is moderate I'd say 22 mpg on the highway is poor.
    Good luck.
    Charlie
  • mb5mb5 Member Posts: 7
    divewreck - i had the same exact problem happen to me twice last summer (05 s40). i just sat in the car for a bit and messed with the wheel and hit the locks and such and it worked later. it happened to me probably twice in a 2 month period right before my first 7500 mile service. after that service it never happened again.

i was also getting a problem where the cd played wasn't loading my cds and was freezing. they said they installed the "latest software update" and both problems have not happened since.

this isn't saying that additional problems haven't come up hahah.
    Well, well...now I can reply to your question about installing the Volvo auto diming rear view mirror..it can be done..it has been done and it took us 10 weeks.
    My dealer struggled with a solution that ended up costing them over $6oo to install one. It required three false starts, a wiring harness, mirror and a few odds and ends along with 1.5 hrs labor.It's probably not worth the cost but if your dealer promises one (in writing) he can deliver it. :)
    Charlie
  • _elle__elle_ Member Posts: 6
    hey johnny,

i've been noticing the brake dust buildup on my rear wheels too. hopefully once they get changed at 7500 miles or so, the problem will go away like it has for the other person.

mpg--i haven't really been having problems with mine. i just bought mine on memorial day and have about 2000 miles or so on it right now. on the highway i'm getting 30 or pretty close to it, especially if i use the cruise control to keep the speed around 76 or 77 mph. the last tank i filled up was mixed driving and was 26.6 mpg.
    My brake dust problems have tapered off after 2500 miles to very reasonable dust levels. It's a good idea to keep the wheels well coated with wax so the dust doesn't cling easily.
    :D
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We had the same problem with our '05 Mazda 3s. Same car underneath(almost) as the S40. The dealer changed out the rear pads and no more rear brake dust. Also, our car has discs all around.
    Talk with your dealer...there is a solution to all that dust.

The Sandman :)
  • kullekulle Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Does anyone who owns a 2005 S40 T5 or know anyone that does ever have problems with cold starting, after the car sits overnight, it stalls on the first attempt to start? - I did and the dealer said there was a new ECU download according to some technical document. problem solved - BUT

Now I have been having problems with my radio locking up and while playing a CD, it kicks out to the am/fm radio??!! Anyone experience that? - I have the upgraded audio system, not sure if that makes a difference. Any comments are appreciated !
    I've not had your problem but would race right back to the dealer since the reprogam preceeded the CD issue it may be related...if not your warantee should cover it. :sick:
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Would an S40/V50 R be a good addition to the line up? I mean using a more powerful turbocharger or twin turbos to keep up with the Is350? I say turbos because I doubt Volvo could squeeze the new I6 in the engine bay. Does ford have a smaller V6 other that the one in the Mazda6? I guess that'll do. The t5 is nice but could a little more "gitgo" to keep it upmarket. With the S60/v70 2.4i gone there is a small gap in the S/V-series price range.
    Well, first of all the S40 is in no way shape or form a competitor for the IS350.
    Volvo has no plans to expand the S40 lineup.
    The V70 2.4i has not been discontinued.
    Volvo is only planning one R series model at a time.
    The next S60R, if approved would likely use the 4.4 V8 from the XC90 and S80.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    But they discontinued the S60 2.4i which leaves a gap in the sedan lineup.

I doubt the s60 will have a v8. That makes it to close to the s80. A 3.2 I6 above the t5 would be good for the s40 to compete better with others not just the IS350. Say the A4 3.2 or 330xi for example.
    The S40 2.4i has not been discontinued.

The S60R will most probably have a V8, as the S4 does and M3 will by the time the new R arrives.

Too much work would have to be done to the S40 to make it an A4 or 3 series competitor. It is too small for one thing, esp. compared to the bimmer.
    the next S60 will do w/out the turbo engines, it will have the 3.2 SI6, so a V8 is the next logical level for the R.
    The next S60 will also be bigger than the current car, but not by much.
    If anything, Volvo may consider dropping the S40, if not totally then at least from the US market.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    If anything, Volvo may consider dropping the S40, if not totally then at least from the US market.

Really? That would be a suprise. I was under the impression that the S60 was going to go away because it's stuck in size between the S40 and S80. It's not much bigger than the S40 and not much smaller than the S80.
    Nothing is carved in stone yet.

There is a new S60 being developed, it is slightly bigger than the current car, but not as big as the S80.
    Think new 3 series compared to the 5 Series.

The S40 has been a disapointment for Volvo in the US. Its not bringing in the sales they thought it would. Its not nice enough to compete w/ the A4 or 3 series and too pricey to compete w/ VW and Honda or Toyota.
    The S60 has consistently outsold the S40 and is more profitable for Volvo, so I strongly doubt that it will go away.
    The S40 has been a disapointment for Volvo in the US. Its not bringing in the sales they thought it would. Its not nice enough to compete w/ the A4 or 3 series and too pricey to compete w/ VW and Honda or Toyota.

That would be it's main problem. Although I loved the V50 when I test drove it, I couldn't bring myself to the $30K + MSRP for it.

I think Volvo either has to price it to compete against the Jetta or content it up/maintain the price to compete against the A4.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    That's always been Volvo's problem. They are a "tweener" brand. Not up to par with the luxury class and too nice for the economy class, so you can't compare it to anything and it falls through the cracks.

Doesn't the S60 only do as well as it does due to heavy incentives?

I hope the poor S40 sales don't scuttle the C30.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Doesn't the S60 only do as well as it does due to heavy incentives?

That's what I always thought. IIRC, anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 is the norm.
    I think Volvo either has to price it to compete against the Jetta or content it up/maintain the price to compete against the A4.

Have you seen Jetta prices??
    They are as much or more than the S40!
    Which is why VW will be cutting sticker prices next year.
    The S60 has done well for Volvo.
    It will never outsell the 3 series, but can hold its own against the A4 and C Class.
    The problem right now w/ the S60 is that the car is old. Its competitors have all been re-done since the S60 debuted.

As for the C30, its future is an issue.
    It won't be significantly less than the S40 it is based on.
    Americans have never paid real money for hatchbacks.
    Only Mini has been able to prosper, but I doubt that Volvo will be able to replicate that kind of success.
This discussion has been closed.