Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    It looks like the current S40 is a teaser from Volvo to gauge market response. Expect the next S40 to make a giant leap forward as it will replaces S60. If this is true Volvo is realigning its models to compete directly with Mercedes and BMW.

I think this is Volvo plan:
    No more S60, improve the S40 to take its place, and add a top-of-the line ultra-luxury Volvo to competes with 7-series, S-class, and A-8
    S40 = 3 series = C-class
    S80 = 5 series = E-class
    Sxx = 7 series = S-class - to be introduced soon?

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/03/scoop-2009-volvo-s40.html
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I have heard that, and another plan that would eliminate the S40 altogether.
    In either case, there won't be a 7 Series competitor.
    You might see a stretched S80, but not a car in the high end class
  • tselgastselgas Member Posts: 2
    The S40 is a great little car, but not much room under the trunk floor. There are two big pieces of foam under the trunk floor.

Any experience removing the foam for more room to store tools, flares etc?
    Thanks
    Tom
  • soogiedavesoogiedave Member Posts: 3
    HI ALL,
    Please Help.
    I am trying to connect a JVC KDNX5000 GPS/Navigation system.
    I need to find out where the cruise control module is and what color the speed signal wire is.
    Can someone please help?
    Thanks,
    David
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,706
    Here's the confusing thing - he owns a Mazda 3! Same basic car as the Volvo. Very odd...
  • soogiedavesoogiedave Member Posts: 3
    HI ALL,
    Please Help.
    I am trying to install a JVC KDNX5000 GPS/Navigation system in a 2000 Volvo S40.
    As part of this install, I need to find out where the cruise control module is and what color the speed signal wire is.
    Can someone please help?
    Thanks,
    David
    Here's the confusing thing - he owns a Mazda 3! Same basic car as the Volvo. Very odd...

It really isn't.

While Mazda used the chassis design, they didn't use the hardened steel that Volvo uses.
    Also, electronics, engines, suspension tuning, sound insulation, seats, interior are all different.
  • dhurtukdhurtuk Member Posts: 1
    My original car sticker indicates the car has a 16 gallon fuel tank, but I can only fill 12 gallons when the needle hits E. Has anyone noticed what their fuel capacity is? 12 gallons or 16? Just want to know if I'm alone on this one....
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    It's a 16 gallon tank. For your car, when the gauge is on E, you still have 4 gallons left. Just because it is on "E" doesn't mean that the tank is truly empty. (Thanks goodness because my wife drives hers down to E every chance she gets (yes I know that is not good for the car's fuel pump). :sick:
  • lunanegralunanegra Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 S40 and I have regulary tracked my milage when I fill up. Most of the time I get around MAX 13 1/2 gallons when down to "E" even after driving a bit longer once that comes on. Once or twice I was able to break the 14 gallon barrier. I have never once reached 15 or 16 gallons. And believe me I have really pushed it. I am glad, however for the buffer as I am sure it has saved me from myself! :-)
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,706
    Original post/criticism of S40 related to size.
  • dannyw827dannyw827 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am about to buy a used 2004.5 S40 T5. It has 39,000k miles, factory warranty is covered until 50k. Would I be able to purchase an extended warranty?
    Yes
  • mccurleymccurley Member Posts: 1
    Hi Lunanegra - I have experienced a similar sudden drop in fuel efficiency. I have taken my 2002 S40 to two dealers and both say there is no problem, but I am suddenly getting 30% less out of each tank. I recently had the thermostat replaced also and have, in the past, experienced spontaneous revving.

Did you ever find a solution for your car?

Thanks!
  • jaredheckjaredheck Member Posts: 1
    I have almost exactly the same problem. I was replacing the trunk bulb, got a spark, fried the bulb, and now my trip odometer and clock reset every time the car is turned off, the radio doesn't work at all, and the central locking system remote doesn't work either. Any solutions?
  • autoeduautoedu Member Posts: 47
    It's actually 14.5 gallon in some car.

Volvo owner's manual indicates that models with engine code 39 (the 6th and 7th digit of your VIN #) have a fuel tank capacity of 14.5 US gallons (55 liters)

When fuel empty light is on you have approximately 2.1 gallons left.

It's not recommended that you continuously drive with tank near empty. Refuel as soon as possible before it reaches E or you risk damaging the fuel pump

It is important to note that the "usable" tank capacity will be somewhat less than the specified maximum (15.9 or 14.5 gallons) to accommodate possible expansion of the fuel in hot weather, as indicated in the owner manual

Advice to everyone, any questions or concerns about your vehicle, first consult your owner manual it contains a great deal of information.
  • rosweetrosweet Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering a Volvo S40 for my next purchase, however, when it is compared to Acura TsX and other entry level luxury car, the resale value looks not impressive at all. Does anybody know why S40 has bad resale value? :confuse:
    Well, I just ran Manheim on the 2005 Auto TSX and the 2005 Auto S40 T5.
    Cars stickered fairly close to each other.
    Both cars show auction values between $18-20000.
    On average, the TSX is a few hundred higher,but thats it.
  • wb03volvowb03volvo Member Posts: 1
    I have the caliber off and the new rotor/pads on. When I use the special tool to spin the piston back in, it spin's but does not go back into the caliber. Is there something I am missing?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Cars stickered fairly close to each other.
    Both cars show auction values between $18-20000.
    On average, the TSX is a few hundred higher,but thats it.

Don't forget though that you can typically get a better discount off the MSRP on the S40 than you can on the TSX. You need to take that into account.
  • mikeandthebearmikeandthebear Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this forum so I might be in the wrong place so bear with me. Last year I bought a used 2001 S40 Turbo and I love it. I am a mechanic but I know little about Volvos. How can I get another 25 or 30 horse out of it without breaking the bank?
    Contact ipd.
    They can sell you an ECU upgrade.
  • mikeandthebearmikeandthebear Member Posts: 3
    $1200 - don't think so right now!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Well, there are cheaper chip manufacturers out there. But they are piggy-back chips, not reflashes, like IPD. BUT, you may just get what you pay for.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lexleaselexlease Member Posts: 9
    Does your city already have ethanol in the gasoline? This alone will impact your MPG considerably. I had 31 MPG pre and now get 26MPG.
  • rosweetrosweet Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the information Robr & Volvomax. I'm just wondering what's difference on discout off MSRP between Volvo & TSX. Thanks.
    When I was shopping in 2005 I would've paid sticker for the TSX. The S40 would've been a couple thousand off of sticker.
  • chakibchakib Member Posts: 1
    Did you fix the issue if so how, I have the same problem.

Thanks
    ck6@rocketmail.com
  • jriperjriper Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 S40 the fan was on top speed and couldn't be turned off for about 5 days and now it's not running at all and there is no ac or heat where there was before. Any ideas of the problem, I've only had this car for about a month.
  • casualfccasualfc Member Posts: 13
    I drive an '03 S40. Manual says it needs 91 octane minimum. I always get Premiun gas, which is usually 93 here (87 and 89 being the lower 2). Is it really necessary to keep getting premium. I know opinions vary so I'll hear several here. Suggestions?
    If you use 87 or 89 octane, your vehicle will adjust it's performance to work with that fuel.

The problem is that you will get lower performance and lower mpg - changing to a lower octane is generally a false economy and may cost you most in fuel in the long run.

The engine is designed to perform best at 91 octane minimum.
  • jessreds40jessreds40 Member Posts: 21
    My husband and I noticed a delay when we open the doors on my brand new 07 VolvoS40. They are locked from drive position and then when in park they remain in lock. I take the key out and are still locked. I have to pull the door handle out and then again. Its like the first time I pull it lets the door know it needs to unlock. Is this NORMAL? :confuse: A safety feature? It's kind of annoying and causing more wear and tear to the handle. :(
    Yes,it is quite normal.
    There is a section in the menu settings that allows you to enable or disable the auto door locking system.
    Once the doors lock,they WILL NOT unlock.
    You either have to use the unlock switch or PULL TWICE on the door handle.
    Thanks! A bit of a pain but I understand the saftey feature. I really need to read my manual. :shades:
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Hello all,

I thought I remembered reading here on edmunds.com about a few changes/upgrades to the '08 S40, but can't seem to find the info in doing searches. Can anyone tell me what to expect for the '08 model, and when that car is expected to hit showrooms? If I am way off base, my apologies...but in that case, when is the next refresh/redesign?

Thanks in advance!
    Only minor upgrades on the 2008.
    Front and rear bumpers change
    Headlights/taillights change
    Center console changes,bigger front door pockets, new wood for center console(don't like it).
    T5 engine goes from 218 hp to 227hp.

Next redesign 2010-11
    When I asked my sales person at the time of purchase (few weeks ago); he told me no changed for the 08. He was new to the dealership, so I wasn't hard on him. I already knew there where some minors changes to the look. Can't wait to compare. But I love my 07! :shades:
  • seawolf36seawolf36 Member Posts: 1
    This is just not true, at least on my '07 V50 T5 it isn't. Maybe the S40 is different. On my vehicle, the menu accessed through the radio display screen has a position to totally turn this so called feature off. I HATE this "feature" and would not have purchased the vehicle had I not be able to disable it. Good luck. (A strange safety feature in that it appears that with it "on" the doors would remain locked after a collision preventing escape if needed. Likewise a submerging with electrical sys disabled)

seawolf
    I really reallly need to read my manual throughly! I am going straight to it and read to see if I can. I sure hope so. THANKS!!!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    for the info on the '08... sounds like left-over 07s might be a great deal!
    To my surprise! I just realized that my climage package included front light washers! I was utterly amazed they pop out of the bumber and sray the lights. Call me a kid today- I was clapping.. I'm still laughing with the ladies at work about them! :P
  • blumsteinblumstein Member Posts: 38
    I bought an 07 Mercury Milan V6 Premium in March and an 07 S40 in July. I am the primary driver on the Milan and my wife is the primary on the S40. The sales prices was the same. The Milan is a mid-size & the S40 a compact. We both have good driving records. The S40 was $136 more per yr ($606 vs $740) in an L.A. suburb with full coverage. I have no idea why the S40 is higher.
    Doubtless because the Volvo would be more expensive to repair. The component costs are greater on a Volvo than on a Mercury.
  • makigrlmakigrl Member Posts: 19
    Where would you say the reliability level of a vovlo s40 is compared to audi/mercedes/bmw or cars like the lexus IS 250 or acura tsx? You would buy the bmw for driving excitement. The audi for quattro awd and VW built cars are high quality cars that are built well. The Mercdes for the nameplate and being the most luxurious . I wouldn't trust too much for any of the German cars such as audi/mercedes/bmw for being very reliable. The Japanese cars would be higher in reliability. If you were looking for a European car how reliable would an s40 be?
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    My 15 months experince with a Volvo s40 has been very good. I've had a couple of QC complaints but they were handled promptly and I'm satisfied. It appears the shop costs will be high if I end up paying after warantee but that's the case with all these cars. So the quality of local dealer support might be a little more important here.
    If you want real reliability long term you'll almost have to stick with regular Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, and perhaps Nissans...
    IMHO,
    Charlie
  • litbitlitbit Member Posts: 1
    The main changes are that Volvo have added to the 2008 S40 is 17" Spartacus Alloys to the premium package. The audio package is now the Dynaudio package with a beefed up stereo system with top of the line Dynaudio speakers. Also the Bi Xenon headlights are now the active versions which follow the curvature of the road when you're driving giving an even better visibility at night. I ordered the S40 T5 since I'm currenty overseas. :)
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    I have a S40 2.4i NOT sport Package/suspension and I still feel the suspension too uncomfortable in highways because of continuous jumping. I checked Michelin MXV4 tires pressure and are the same the manufacturer recommended, but I still feel not real nice. Could I change shock absorbers or any idea to improved the comfortable behavior? or is the car short length that make this kind of suspension feel? I do not matter to sacrificed performance, I am not a sport driver.
  • calpetecalpete Member Posts: 7
    I, too, have a problem with the harsh ride in my '06 S40, 2.4i non-turbo, 5 spd. manual. Have to blame myself, tho. When I test drove the car I was so enthralled by everything else that I only drove it around the block a couple of times. Also, another peeve is that when I drive with the windows down, a terrific blast of air comes through at any speed above 20. I bought some of those plastic louvers that go over the top of the windows which seems to help a little. Other than the above I have no real complaints after 76K miles. Had to replace the catalytic converter at 53K (under extended warranty) but that's it.

On the ride issue, the dealer has no suggestions. Apparently there are no other struts available from Volvo. IPD says they sell a softer one but haven't tried it. Don't know what your mileage is but mine seems to ride a little softer after 76K. I'll try a tire geared more towards comfort when it's time to replace; but that won't be for another 20K or so. The wheelbase of 104.3" is about average for this group of cars. Oh, my old desk foam seat cushion also helps! Good luck.
  • casolorzcasolorz Member Posts: 88
    Has anyone hooked up an iphone to the S40 with the bluetooth accessory?
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    Will never buy another Volvo. I had to replace the ignition switch on my 05 S40 for the second time in 2 years. While still under warranty, I have lost faith in this car. Too bad, I really enjoyed its style & handling.
This discussion has been closed.