Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• smchalesmchale Member Posts: 16
    Regarding post #155, take a look at www.deja.com. Do a search on S40. There you will see some posts by S40 owners in Europe and Australia. As I recall, the complaints are few and mostly limited to engine noise and cupholder placement.
  • markjjtmarkjjt Member Posts: 1
    Can somebody give me a price break down on what you paid?

Thanks,

Mark
  • dianeb2dianeb2 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an S40 silver metallic with the touring, sunroof, weather packages for 26,715 plus tax. I did a lot of shopping and Edmunds pricing info helped immensely. I shopped around a lot by phone and asked each dealer if they could beat my most recent price and some coudn't even come close. The first dealer that I went to only came down to $27,900 from a list price of $28,425. So, I'm really glad that I continued shopping around. I pick it up on 12/6 and I can't wait. I did hear that the price is going up $500.00 after 1/1/00.
  • mkielar2mkielar2 Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know whether this new Volvo is being offered in the U.S. How does it compare to V70 -the new one being sold in Europe?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    The S60 is the replacement for the S70. Looks like a baby S80. In the future, Volvo will use even numbers for sedans, odd numbers for wagons. Who knows why. Not sure when they are supposed to arrive in the US, but have seen pictures in magazines.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• perezrgperezrg Member Posts: 9
    The last info. that I saw regarding the S60 showed it going into production about the middle of next year. I would think that would indicate introduction as a 2001 model in the fall.
  • cannadacannada Member Posts: 1
    I bought an S40 for my college-age daughter and she loves it. However, twice (immediately after filling it with gas) she could not start the car in the normal manner and could do so only after pushing the accelerator all the way down. She says she put the gas cap on correctly and did not overfill the tank. The engine light also came on. The dealer is still trying to locate the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, I ordered my car before 8/31 and still have not received the promotional option package we selected. My dealer says everything has been backordered by Volvo. Is this the case in other areas?
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #165:

cannada, as you already suspect, this could be related to the filling of the car at the gas station. The newer cars (at least in the US)of all makes are all OBD II complaint. As a result,there are a few things that can trigger the check engine light associated with a fill-up. If the gas cap isn't put on tightly, it is possible that the gas vapor removal system will think there is a fault because the tank isn't sealed. Further, if someone fuels the car with the engine running the same check engine fault will occur. Also, I've read that if you top off the fuel tank by trying to squeeze every drop into that you can, it can also trigger the warning light. If either of these scenarios caused the warning and the cause has been fixed, then the light will go away after a few more sessions behind the wheel. On the other hand, if for example the gas cap is still not properly seated the system will continue to register a fault. Once the cap has been properly seated, the warning lights goes away after a certain amount of driving time without detecting an additional fault.

Hope this helps.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@erols.com
  • lankforplankforp Member Posts: 3
    I got my silver S40 2 weeks ago - after waiting about a month for it to come in to the dealer. I wanted one with all packages - Sport Plus, Sunroof, Cold Weather and they don't have another coming until January.

I tried the dealer where my mother got her S80 - no dealing. Tried another dealer closer to me - $500 over invoice. It was really all very painless.

I love the car - except for one very annoying thing - and I am wondering if others have noticed this to - or is it only my car?!?

You put the fog lights on
    You switch to high beams - the fog lights go off
    Switch back to low beams - fog lights DO NOT come back on - you have to manually turn them back on.

I can't believe this is the way it is supposed to work - the S80 has the fog lights automatically come back on when you switch back to low beams.

Anyone else notice this or have a solution?
  • sanfran1214sanfran1214 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased the S40, Silver/grey leather, cold weather package. No other options so we could hold the price down. The car is for my wife and the safety and durability of the car were a big factor. On the few times that I drive it, I always feel I am sitting a bit high compared with what I would like (about an inch higher). The car has manual adjusting seats, and yes, I have adjusted them to their lowest position. The dealer says I am the only one to make such a comment. I this a typical "complaint" of a new Volvo driver (Japanese cars in the past)? Or did I make a mistake and not get the electric seats which may adjust lower?
    I recently purchased the S40, Silver/grey leather, cold weather package. No other options so we could hold the price down. The car is for my wife and the safety and durability of the car were a big factor. On the few times that I drive it, I always feel I am sitting a bit high compared with what I would like (about an inch higher). The car has manual adjusting seats, and yes, I have adjusted them to their lowest position. The dealer says I am the only one to make such a comment. I this a typical "complaint" of a new Volvo driver (Japanese cars in the past)? Or did I make a mistake and not get the electric seats which may adjust lower?
    I spoke to Volvo today on the subject.. They tell me that there is in fact a lever that will raise/lower the seat mechanically.. I have only noticed the front lever that pivots the front of the seat, and the rear lever that pivots the rear of the seat. My wife has the car now and I will look for this elusive 3rd lever when she returns.. If found.. I will certainly have egg on my face.. :(
  • tomsoltistomsoltis Member Posts: 22
    I also have the S40 with manual seats. I just went to the garage to check for the third lever. I suspect that the third lever is actually a knob on the side of the seat that adjusts the tilt of the seat back. This may or may not help your situation.

I am 6'3" and have found a comfortable seat position for myself. However, I originally test drove the car w/power seats. Even though my current setting is comfortable for me, I've often wondered if there was an even more comfortable one w/the power seats.

I've had my car since Sept. I now have 5,000 miles on it. I've experienced no problems whatsoever. I absolutely love driving it. I've only seen two others on the road since then. I'm very happy w/my decision to purchase this car.
  • robcamrobcam Member Posts: 1
    I have been waiting for 5 months for my S40 to come in just the way I want it. Upon its arrival, however, it was discovered that there was a defect in the silver paint--Little splashes of brownish color were visible on the driver's door and the trunk. Then, a few days later, to my dealer's chagrin, another silver S40 came in with the same problem! My first option is to have the paint repaired, and Volvo would still cover the new paint under the original warranty, and in addition, the dealer would throw in the paint protectant for free. My other option is to do a dealer trade for an identical car, just with an interior color I'm not as fond of. I suppose I could wait another 5 months, but I'd go crazy, so that's not a choice. I live in a snowy climate, do you all think that the paint job would be problematic? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    Personally, and this is something I don't think you want to hear, I would not take a car that is defective in any way, especially if I know in advance of driving it off the lot, and especially if I am paying that much money. I know it would always bother me, and I would always think about it getting into and out of the car. Also, my imagination would run wild with "what else could be wrong". I would either make the dealer locate another car exactly how you want it (or have another dealer change their allocation), or I would order another car.

I just purchased an A4, and went over it with a fine tooth comb. I think if I found anything right off the bat, I would be apprehensive about the fit and finish and build of that particular car.

I wish you luck. The S40 is a really nice car, and probably would be in my driveway if I lived somewhere where the quattro on the A4 was not an issue.
  • zena1919zena1919 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently looking at new cars online only. I get too excited and spontaneous when i shop in the showroom. Any ideas on the Volvo S40 vs a Nissan Altima???
    Zena
    thanks for checking.. come to find out the dealer was in fact referring to the seat back (tilt) as the 3rd lever.. the car is really quite good, and certainly a good performer, but i must admit being annoyed when i turn to talk to my wife and she appears to be several inches lower than me...

to zena1919... the S40 is far and away a better car than the Altima (in my opinion). here are my thoughts.. 1) altima is much less expensive.. 2) be sure you are comfortable with the S40 ride.. it is typical european (a bit stiffer) versus the softer ride of the japanese.. 3) S40 is very safe.. 3) S40 performs on the road in a superior fashion.. 4) S40 should have far better resale value.. if you don;t get the S40, opt for the jetta..
    thanks for checking.. come to find out the dealer was in fact referring to the seat back (tilt) as the 3rd lever.. the car is really quite good, and certainly a good performer, but i must admit being annoyed when i turn to talk to my wife and she appears to be several inches lower than me...

to zena1919... the S40 is far and away a better car than the Altima (in my opinion). here are my thoughts.. 1) altima is much less expensive.. 2) be sure you are comfortable with the S40 ride.. it is typical european (a bit stiffer) versus the softer ride of the japanese.. 3) S40 is very safe.. 3) S40 performs on the road in a superior fashion.. 4) S40 should have far better resale value.. if you don;t get the S40, opt for the jetta..
  • mjungmjung Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about the current generation Altima, but the first generation model was very safe. I crashed tested two of them and walked out without a scratch each time.

I replaced my 2nd totalled Altima last year with a Subaru Forrester. The Forrester is a good car, but I still have not bonded with it. I am thinking of trading it in for a Volvo S40.
  • delacdelac Member Posts: 1
    Volvo ran a promotion promising a $500 complimentary package for S40's ordered before 9/30/99. It included stuff like a blanket and tools. I picked up my S40 on Sept. 13th and I'm still waiting for these goodies. My salesman doesn't return my phone calls and Volvo customer service doesn't answer my Email.

Next stop is the Better Business Bureau. Has anybody actually received this complimentary package?
  • beestingbeesting Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my S40 in October. I love it. It's metallic silver with all the packages, sunroof, touring, weather, etc. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the dealer to budge on the price. I paid $28,425. The reason for this is probably because most of the dealers in Northern Cal did not have many in stock at the time. I did get a good deal on the trade for my old Honda.

As far as the performance of the car, I would say it has quite a lot of power for a 4 cylinder. I will use this car for my 1 hour round trip commute to work. When I find the need to make quick lane changes or stop suddenly, the car's response is quick and smooth. I have not experienced the wheezing or spongy braking response that I got with my Honda.

The car is also extremely comfortable and quiet. Of course you need to take into account that I have driven compact Japanese cars for most of my driving history. Even so, I now enjoy my commute.
  • aawdwagonbobaawdwagonbob Member Posts: 8
    keep your eyes on the road when you drive. dont look at the person u are talking to
    such a comic... but my wife is very pretty and I cant't resist a peak at her from time to time!!

seriously, now.. I am finiding it more comfortable to drive as I spend more time behind the wheel.. and the car does drive beautifully.. but I still itch to set that seat just a bit lower..
    As I've said earlier, I'm 6'3'' and currectly have 6500 miles on my S40. Head room is always an issue for me regardless of the car I'm in. One thing that the S40 has that works in my favor is the sunroof that allows for the light to come in and provides the appearance of head room. Even though it may not be there.

This holds true as long as I leave that part of the sunroof open, which I always do. Do you have a sunroof? If yes, I suggest that you leave the section that prevents sunlight back in order to improve your headroom delima.
  • norcaldeacnorcaldeac Member Posts: 1
    I love my S40. I have automatic seats and it is very comfortable, better than any Japanese car. I like sitting up higher, I feel like I get a better view of the road than I got in my old car (a Toyota). It makes the long Silicon Valley commute a lot more enjoyable that's for sure. And if you don't think the S40 is a powerful car, try driving the S70. It makes you think twice about the S40 as I found the 40 to have quicker acceleration and a quieter engine!!!!
    Regarding post #184:

norcaldeac, it's great to hear you're enjoying your S40. With the 1.9T the S40 can be quite peppy. It is faster than the base S70 but not as fast as the GLT or T5. I'm looking forward to a green light for release of the S40 T4 in the US (once the Euro ECU issues are fixed). This will be a real screamer in this class and I'll bet that if the speed of the 1.9T appeals to you then you'll be just about ready for the S4 if it makes it here in the next year or so (power is a wonderful thing - you can never get to much of it and once you get used to it you want more and more).

-rdo
    russell.ollie@erols.com
  • rdshaf94rdshaf94 Member Posts: 8
    Stop you two, you're killing me! My S40 won't show up for another 2-3 weeks. I'm dying here! :)

I have a picture of the S40 as my wallpaper on my computer. I find myself minimizing all the windows just to stare at the car. I think I'm bonding even though I don't have the car yet.

Regarding the T4, I read in another forum that it specs in around 200hp. That's alot of punch for this car. Maybe in a couple of years I'll get one so my wife & I can have his & hers S40's. But then there's the S60. Hmmm.

Robert
    Is the 1.9T engine (the only S40 engine offered in the USA) a Volvo engine or a Mitsubishi engine?
    Regarding post #187:

smchale, it's a Volvo engine and I don't think it is shared with the Mitsu Carisma. Technically speaking it is a Volvo/Porsche engine since it was a joint design effort. It is the 4-cylinder version of the inline family of modular engines (4,5,and 6 cylinders) that powers all North American Volvos sold today.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@erols.com
  • rmg1rmg1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently took a test drive of the S40 and liked it very much. The ride was great and the car felt solid -- with the exception of the upgraded stero system. The sliding levers on the stereo felt cheap and imprecise, and the sound quality seemed subpar. In addition, it seemed like almost all of the sound came from the front speakers, and I was unable to adjust the stereo to get decent sound from the rear speakers.

Do any of the owners out there have comments after using this stereo on a regular basis? Thanks.
  • rmg1rmg1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently took a test drive of the S40 and liked it very much. The ride was great and the car felt solid -- with the exception of the upgraded stero system. The sliding levers on the stereo felt cheap and imprecise, and the sound quality seemed subpar. In addition, it seemed like almost all of the sound came from the front speakers, and I was unable to adjust the stereo to get decent sound from the rear speakers.

Do any of the owners out there have comments after using this stereo on a regular basis? Thanks.
  • edpeckoffedpeckoff Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving an S40 since September and you've hit the nail on the head.
    The car is generally excellent but the radio is one of the worst I've listened to. Actually the CD and cassette work OK. The radio has terrible reception and the treble goes in and out. I've heard that I'm not the only one with this problem. (I've spoken to the dealer and they seem quite cooperative about fixing the problem. (Haven't brought it in yet since I mostly listen to the cassette.
    Don't let this sway you, however. Like I said, in every other area, the car is a joy to drive.
    A few years ago I bought an aftermarket 100 watt Alpine stereo/CD player for an older car of mine. At installation, a non-Alpine installer "tested" it by blasting Phil Collins/Face Value/In the air tonight. He said that this is his standard test CD song because if your CD can handle the bass on this - "it can handle anything".

Naturally, the day I got my S40 with the upgraded stereo I have Phil Collins in the glove compartment just waiting to drop the kids off. I blasted that song as loud as I could take it( I was surprised that there is no volume measurement on the radio, ie 1,2 -- 20, etc...)
    there was no breakup in the base that I could tell and the song sounded crisp. Does this make my radio warranty invalid?

I only listen to talk radio so I have no opinion on the radio aspect of it. Also, I haven't used my cassette player yet. I know I should just to make certain that it works.
  • harlow1harlow1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an S-40 and I have the same problems with my stereo, they put in a new one and it's the same. I think theyy need to work on this
    Since my last comment I've been fiddling w/my stereo's fader. Mostly w/the radio on. I can't get over how terrible it is. It is really, really bad. It seemed to cause gaps in reception and it was difficult to obtain the balance between the front and back speakers as one other person suggested.

It goes in for its 7500 mi check-up on Monday. On the list is the radio, the spring on the front ash tray mechanism has failed, a piece of the after-market woodgrain needs to be replaced due to off-balanced laser cuts and I suspect that under certain conditions it veers left.

All said, I love driving it. We've had snow here recently and I thought it handled well. The DSA engaged on a few occasions. I felt the car in the early stages of spinning out and the DSA light came on and pretty much corrected the situation. I do not feel as if I needed to compensate much w/steering to avoid a spinout, the DSA seemed to handle all that was required. I was actually trying to challenge the system a bit to get it to engage to experience what it would do. At this point, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the car has great traction, but I would say that it handled well in the snow. It made me happy that I got the weather package, I originally considered not getting it. I'd rather not have the wipers on the headlights, but they said I had to get it w/the package, and I do especially enjoy the heated seats. I think the car is very comfortable for the driver.

I found that driving in the (W)weather mode worked exceptionally well in the snow. As much as I hated to engage it because starting in third gear is not exciting, it was the right thing to do. When the car finally did start moving it didn't waver.
    On another note, I did unexpectedly wax and polish the car the other night in the garage because I knew the bad weather was pending. It was the first time I've ever polished any car. I highly recommend it to anyone who does not do it. The polish provides the shine to the finish. My car looked better than the day I picked it up by the time I was done. I have the silver metallic paint and it was sparkling in the sun. People were commenting about it. I was very impressed. I plan on doing some research to find a polish w/a good reputation. By the way, polishing was much faster than waxing for me.
    I'm getting about 25mpg highway/city combined. Maybe just slightly less. All in all, I'm very happy to have purchased my S40.
  • shanknarshanknar Member Posts: 2
    Those are extremely bad quality cars which give constant troubles. You wouldn't expect Volvo to produce such bad quality cars but its true. I have taken the car for service 4 times in the first month that I bought a brand new V40. I suspected the car to have an alignment problem right from the start but the dealer refused to accept it. Then they finally accepted it when it started wearing off one of my tyres. They refused to replace the tyres. Then it was the cruise control which used to lock on a speed automatically without me pressing any button. Then one part of it stopped working. Then it was the horn which doesent work on one side. Then it was the power locks which gave a problem. I am fed up but Volvo dosent give my money back because the mechanical parts of the car didnt fail. I'm sure they will in a short while. They shouldve used the same kind of cheap quality materials they used for their electronics. They probably forget that it is the computer which actually runs their cars. That may fail at some point. For me my working times are between 7.30 am to 5.30 pm and I have a very inflexible schedule. When I explained to the Volvo Customer service about my problems they said "too bad Sir, but we are sorry"
    I probably am going to file a lawsuit against them.

I request readers to please refrain from buying an S40 or a V40 if they dont want to bear the frustration of paying about $30,000 for a piece of junk.
    FOr more details. write to shanknar@bigfoot.com
  • talk2splattalk2splat Member Posts: 2
    Every car manufacturer has lemons. So far the S/V40s have been the most reliable new Volvos ever,and compare very well to Toyotas and the like. I own an S40 and have many miles (25,000) with only minor rattle which was taken care of...look at edmunds news, what is that?...yes, toyota has a big recall, so should no one buy their cars? I think not. You cannot make any sort of generalizations with expierence from only one car, the VAST majority of S/V40s are wonderfully reliable, all the bugs have been worked out since it was introduced in '96 in Europe. The 70 series is a little spotty, but they are pretty much not in production anymore, and the new V70 is coming out this spring using S80 platforms and technology, and will once again give the other manufacturers a run for their money. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO! (especially since it does NOT hold true for 99% of S/V40s).
  • marcia6marcia6 Member Posts: 3
    I have an S-40 with approximately 600 miles on it.( It is garaged for the winter)
    The alarm system goes off when using the key in the dirvers door lock and the trunk on an intermittent basis. Does anyone else have this problem?

I also have the same problem with the radio reception fading in and out on some stations.

I looked at the specs before buying the car at this site. The car did not come with a telescoping steering wheel, and the trunk release is a lock release. It does not pop open with the keyless remote. The specs are incorrect.

I did receive my $500 bonus package. The car seems to drive OK.
  • lankforplankforp Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my alarm system. Turns out it was a loose fuse - simple remedy and it has worked fine ever since.

Have not had any problem with the radio reception, and am pleased except for the fact that the fog lights turn off permanently when you switch to high beams and you have to manually turn them back on when you go back to low beams. I have e-mailed this onto Volvo direct, but no solution to the problem. Doesn't this annoy anyone else?
    My AC button always has the "on" illuminated. Pressing the button does not switch to the "off" setting.

Anyone else see this?

The car runs nicely. No problems as of 1300 miles.
    With the car locked, have you tried putting the key in the driver door, turning the key to the right, then turning it to the left to unlock?

I will take the car to the dealer and have them check out the fuse. Maybe that is the problem after all, particularly with the trunk.

I was told by the zone manager the alarm problem was "normal operation"
  • rdshaf94rdshaf94 Member Posts: 8
    I have approximately 800 miles on my S40.

I've never used the key to open the door, so can't comment. Just curious, why not use the remote?

No problems with radio, AC and don't have fog lights. Only defect was a paint blemish on the driver's door that the dealer is repainting.

Overall, very satisfied with the car. (And miss it very much, since I've been driving a S70 loaner for the last week. :))

Robert
  • crazedcrazed Member Posts: 4
    I am still debating between the S40 and the A4
    anyway waiting to hear from a friend on the A4
    relaibility.

I need to know if anyone has had experience with either Boston Volvo and RTE.128 Volvo
    (Boston Volvo) is like a meat factory with the number of visitors, lately.
    Anyway, who is the of the 2 for Sales and Service
    and of course. Why?
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm going soon, if not tomorrow,
    Regarding post #202:

crazed, I have bought 3 new Volvos in the past 5 years or so from Boston Volvo Village (BVV) because of the excellent service reputation and experience. This dealership has bent over backwards to make me happy and I couldn't ask for better service from anyone. BVV will always offer their customers a current year Volvo as a loaner if you arrange it in advance (they keep 30 in their fleet) or give you a ride to a T stop in one of their factory built Volvo limos. They also clean your car everytime you bring it in and even better, they let their customers stop by as often as they like for free car washes. In addition they offer the standard dealership amenities like a nice waiting lounge, a kid play area, coffee and donuts, etc. Most importantly, in my experience, if you have a problem with your car, these guys go to bat for you with VCNA and that is very important. I couldn't recommend a dealership any more than BVV. I could tell you many unique experiences (like the time I wanted to test a Cross Country as a loaner and they went and pulled a new one of the lot and did the paperwork so I could have it for the day as a loaner even though there were none available in the loaner fleet at that point.)

Regarding 128, I think it is a good place these days as well. Up until a couple of years ago they have a very slimy reputation. I do know that they made a concerted effort to change their operation and in fact hired some of the sales staff from BVV to spruce up their operation. I haven't used them much but about a year ago when I last stopped in I could tell they were in the midst of improving over my earlier experiences there. For all I know they could be as good as BVV by now but I just don't have enough data to say either way. Perhaps some others can shed light on experiences with 128 Volvo...

Good luck.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net
    The problem came up with my husband, who doesn't want to carry two remotes. He has one for his car. He only has the key with him and when he uses the key as I described to open the door, the alarm goes off. His car unlocks with the key by turning it to the right. The Volvo unlocks the door with the key by turning it to the left. It can be confusing. The bottom line is the car should recognize its own key. Don't have a clue as to why opening the trunk with the key set the alarm off.

Marcia6
  • fuselierfuselier Member Posts: 3
    If the S40 alarm works like my V70 alarm does (and I believe it does), if you lock the car with the remote or the interior power lock switch, but open it with the key, the alarm will fire off. Have hubby try locking the car from the outside with the key, then unlocking it with the key. It shouldn't sound off.

This is to prevent a thief from picking the lock cylinder. Volvo assumes that if you have a remote, you'll always use it. So having a "special procedure" for using the physical key to lock and unlock the door actually makes a pretty good and simple way to make sure that people who don't have a key aren't trying to pick the lock.

Most everyone uses the key fob anyway, so it's generally not much of a problem. The only reason I learned about it was that one time the battery died on my remote. Otherwise I would have never tried to unlock the door manually, I don't think! It can also cause a little problem with valets and parking garages where an attendant parks the car for you. But what the heck. It shuts off once you start the car.
  • tjphelantjphelan Member Posts: 2
    I was very happy with my new S40, but then the
    check engine light suddenly went on as I
    was driving. I had not filled up with gas for
    several days and the tank was 3/8th full.
    The problem with the check engine light coming on
    with Volvos is becoming quite well known and is
    discussed in most Volvo owner's forums. This
    problem CAN be caused by a loose gas cap, but
    many Volvo owners report repeated instances
    of the problem when they were sure the cap
    was tight -- as was the case with my Volvo.
    I am not bothered that my Volvo has
    a minor defect like this, but I was very
    upset by how the dealer responded to it.
    The dealer reset the light, but on the invoice
    wrote "Car was delivered for service with the
    cap off. Repair not covered by warranty".
    Because I had carefully checked the cap after
    reading about the problem, I knew very well
    that what the dealer wrote wasn't true. After
    an unpleasant discussion, the dealer changed
    the computer entry to report that the cap
    was indeed on when I brought it in, but said,
    in not a pleasant tone, that the problem was
    my fault, that he would charge me if I brought
    it in for this problem again, and suggested
    that I find another dealer to service my car.
    This was my first exposure to Volvo service,
    and I was extremely disappointed.
    I have written to Volvo national customer
    service about the problem I had and am hoping
    they will be responsive. Most importantly,
    Volvo needs to recognize that this engine
    light problem should not in every case be
    blamed on the customer -- a decent company
    would address this problem. Perhaps Volvo
    needs to redesign their gas cap. Comments
    from other Volvo owners about this
    problem can be found by searching for
    "check engine" at http://brickboard.com/AWD/
    I'd be curious to learn of other people's
    experiences with this problem.
    Regarding post #206:

tiphelan, first run as fast as you can away from that dealer! Unfortunately, I'm guessing there are no other options nearby based on the dealer's arrogant attitude.

Second, the gas cap issue is not Volvo specific. It is an issue that comes to light due to the OBDII specification for the gas vapor removal system. This subsystem is very sensitive and this problem has been reported on most luxury cars as far as I know. In addition to a loose gas cap, overfilling the car can also cause the check engine light to trip. If anybody uses a full service gas station you will need to insure that the attendant puts the cap on properly because I do think it is quite easy to put the cap on with a partial seal.

Good luck.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net

p.s. - I'm assuming you are in North America in which case I say don't hold your breath waiting on a reply from VCNA.
  • phyloptrxphyloptrx Member Posts: 4
    Two weeks ago I took delivery of my new S40. Love the car, but have one possibly big problem. I've noticed that when I start the car after it has sat for several hours (e.g., overnight or during a full day of work), that the brakes are, for the first few minutes, "mushy", require very firm pressure to achieve braking, and braking is slower. After the car is driven for a few minutes (say 5 or less), the problem goes away, and the brakes are, if anything, a little too "sticky", but with good stopping power, etc. Dealer seems befuddled. Anyone else have this problem, or a suggestion on what it is and how to address it? Otherwise, I like the car, although it definitely has its idiosyncrasies, such as the absolutely awful cup holders, poor rear vision, and the single rear "fog light". The car does have character, though.
    Well, it seems like I'm going to put 24M miles on this car this year. Good thing I didn't lease. Nevertheless, my 7500 mile check-up went ok. A number of required repairs were done under warranty. An aftermarket piece of woodgrain was replaced, ashtray mechanism replaced,rear window de-fogger switch replaced(it originally didn't go off after a certain amount of time. I suspect that even the new one still doesn't shut off automatically, but I haven't been able to track it. Anyone else have that issue?)

I'm a litte dis-appointed that they didn't wash my car. True it was snowing w/slushy roads, but even w/that I've never been encouraged to come back to have my car washed at any time like someone above has. At some point I'll mention it to the dealer. After all, my dealership is owned partially by Paul Newman!

In addition, my front passenger window went up at variable speeds. They adjusted the mechanism and the window. Its fine now. Also, the dealership suggested that my radio problems related to the fader, etc... was caused by my having the "automatic sound control" on. They felt that was throwing off the controls. Apparently, they have a way to test the radio for performance. With the sound control off mine supposedly tested fine. I admit that its worked fine since, but the fader feature needs to be adjusted routinely. My personal opinion is that it needs to be adjusted based on the type of music being played.

Even though I have the upgraded radio and speakers, it seems that it could've come w/a better system. Especially from a control standpoint.

As a mention, I keep my cars for as long as possible. Normally 7-10 years. Up until now, the most I waxed any car in its lifetime was 5x's
    tops. I guess I've abused cars in the past. Now, I have that new car bug and I've promised myself that I would at least give this one "a good start" from a maintenance standpoint. I've been paying to have it hand washed throughout the winter in Ct. and while I'm there I learned that when they detail a car they wax it w/Carnuba wax and then polish it w/Colonite boat wax(Colonite states that it can be used for cars on the label). I don't know why, but they said be sure that the car is waxed prior to using this Colonite boat wax on the car. I was able to find Colonite wax at a boat yard.
    Last weekend I used the Colonite and water literally can not stay on my car. Road grime wipes off or washes off very easily. I agree that some of this may be due to fact that I'm keeping up w/the finish on the car, but it hasn't really required that much time on my part. After 10,000 miles, including the original dealer wax, my S40 has 2 coats of Carnuba, one coat of polish and the Colonite. I'm new to care care, I can't say that Colonite is the best, but I certainly have done more for my S40 to date than I have for any other car I've owned. This really makes me appreciate that dealer who encourages an owner to come in for a wash. When I have mine hand washed including interior and tires it cost me $20.00. If Volvo hand washed my car, I'll do the interior and tires myself. That would be a real benefit. Also, I really only need the wash in the winter, I'm willing to do it myself in the summer.
    I think it rides better the more I drive it.

in closing, my ride continues to get better and better. I've only seen about 4 other S40's on the road since Sept. 99. Anybody know why we're not seeing more out there? I don't know if its good or bad that we're not seeing many, however I do like the fact that I drive a car that few other people are driving out there. There's so many Camry's, Accords, A4's and even nowadays Passat's. I'm still very happy w/my S40.
This discussion has been closed.