Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    First of all, there is no such thing as a new S40.
    The S40 and S60 will be combined into the new S60.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    OK, well you got me, not bad for a volvo nerd...LOL
  • luneyluney Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a great source? I've googled it, and found options, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a product on their car long enough to know if it yellows, hardens or any other drawbacks.
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    Makes no sense, the oppisite was said for the S60 which makes sense, because they've failed to update it.

I doubt it HIGHLY that the S40 is going to lose it's name and go with the S60, the S40 sells too well, the S60 is long in the tooth and hasn't been updated in over 6 years - a BIG sign of a phase out.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I don't see why it matters. Might as well start arguing chicken vs egg.
    What is being said is that when the current S60 dies, a new car is being introduced that takes the place of both the S40 and S60.

WHAT it will be called is of little consequence.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Nice analysis, but its wrong.
    The problem w/ the S40 is that it is percieved as too down market to compete w/ the 3 Series and A4's of the world.
    Volvo historically takes time to replace their models.
    The first S40 debuted in Europe in 1995,and wasn't changed until 2004.
    Thats 9 years.
    S80 went 10 yrs
    XC90 will be 8 yrs.
  • s60leasers60leaser Member Posts: 61
    Hi there
    I am considering buying/leasing a 2008 s40-should I wait for the New redesigned S40/60 combo car/ It looks great in the photoshopped image(LOL) and may be worth extending (UGGGGH) my lease a few months...
    :confuse:
    OPINIONS?
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    I have 38,750 mi on a 2006 which is essentially the same car. No problems and I would gladly purchase it again. It's a T5 AWD and gives 31+ on the highway and 21 around town.Drive one and see if it "fits". If so, I bet you can really get a great deal now. :)
  • volvobuffvolvobuff Member Posts: 35
    Well, I am looking at it from another point of view. I am presently leasing a 2008 S40 which I really love. I am seriously considering buying it out at lease end so that I don't have to get a bloated S40/60 or deal with the new model shakedown problems that Volvos always seem to have. The current S40 is a mature car with no apparent genetic problems that I am aware of. If I were you, the answer would be a no-brainer -- I'd get the current model in a heartbeat.
    The new S60 isn't due until April 2010
    So, I'd get the current car.
    Thanks for the feedback-Anyone have an issue with the "Blind Spot" in the current S40? Dealer said "Yes, but you just have to remove the rear headrests and its better..."
    Yes, mine have been in storage since week one...we do not have backseat riders so no safety issue there.
    For whatever reason, the auto-dimming rear view mirror is larger than the non auto-dimming.
    I feel more comfortable driving the S40 w/ the auto-dimming mirror.
    Your question about the blind spot threw me for a loop. I have had a 2008 S40 for six months and never noticed there was a blind spot on the right rear side. I just took my car out for a spin, and I still don't think the car has a blind spot. The small triangular rear window even provides added security and an extended field of vision. I have had any number of cars with RR blind spots that ranged from somewhat annoying to outright dangerous. With the 2008 S40, maybe it is a problem for a shorter or taller driver. I am 6'0" and, as far as I am concerned, the problem doesn't exist.
    Well, I am NOT short! :) but significantly less tall than 6'... :shades: I also asked the dealer about a larger rear view mirror-he said he had never been asked that and had no idea if Volvo even offered one... This is the same dealer who is trying to talk me into an S80 as
    " cheaper than an s40 lease". Somehow I don't think his numbers will add up...
    Is it actually a larger mirror? I asked the dealer about a larger mirror-Said he has never heard of one,...
    Actually, they may well add up. I got the same pitch from one dealer when I was shopping for my S40. He had a lot of unsold S80s on his lot that he wanted to move. The current model S80 has never sold well, starting from its introduction, and Volvo has heavily subsidized this model with very aggressive leasing and purchase deals from day one. I test drove all three S80 models and was underwhelmed by all of them. The normally-aspirated 6 is the only cost-effective model, but the transmission was badly matched to the engine performance. The V-8 was the only model with decent performance, but its MSRP is way too high (10K more than the 6) and it provides lousy gas mileage. I would gladly get a large Volvo if it were a decent car, but I just don't think Volvo has the genes to produce a large luxury sedan. My 2008 T5 S40 and 2007 T5 V50 purchases were no-brainers: great cars and decent performance at a reasonable price.
    Actually, the S80 DOES lease for less than the S40.
    You have to get a 3.2 w/out many options.
    The auto dim mirror is the one you want in the S40.
    Thanks-The dealer has now come up with a new S80 deal: $4,000 plus $4250 plus free factory scheduled maintenance or additional discount. I have not heard back from him re: what that means in terms of a mo pymy.
    two questions:
    1) If i lease then want to buy out the lease before it ends, how is the purchase price calculated?
    2) Why is MSRP used to calculate depreciation-and not the sell price, which we all struggle to negotiate!
    I think I may have to move this post over to the s80 lease questions-But thanks for the input!!
    1) If i lease then want to buy out the lease before it ends, how is the purchase price calculated?

Typically, remaining payments plus residual.

2) Why is MSRP used to calculate depreciation-and not the sell price, which we all struggle to negotiate!

That's actually in your favor, so don't argue. :)
    For example, you negotiate a $40k car with a 50% residual to $35k. With the residual based on MSRP, you are paying $15k depreciation. If the 50% residual was based on purchase price, it would be $17,500, leaving you paying $17,500, or $2500 more than the first scenario.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That's actually in your favor, so don't argue.
    Unless you (meaning me) are planning on buying out of the lease early...
    Unless you (meaning me) are planning on buying out of the lease early...

Doing it your way, you would pay more interest. As well as having a higher payment.
    Both of which would increase your buyout costs.
  • kodysgrandma1kodysgrandma1 Member Posts: 5
    Didn't see any exactly appropriate place to post this so here goes- Have a 95 Volvo 940. When you are running above 45 MPH and for extended distances the AC is so cold it freezes you out,. At slow speeds or with stop and start, it becomes just sort of tepid. However, after you have run it 30 minutes or so it seems to stay cold and be OK even if you shut if off for an hour or so- say drs. appt. Seems like it must be pressure or relay related but that's just a guess. Anyone have any ideas?
  • m4336m4336 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out if a 225/45R17 will substitute for a 205/50R17 on a 2007 S40 T5 AWD. The local dealer can't tell me. Anyone know?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The OEM size is 25.1", whereas the new size would be 25.0". Try this neat java tire size calculator out and see for yourself: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It'll be a tad wider, but probably should be fine. You might want to see how much clearance there is when the wheels are turned full lock just to be certain.

-Brian
  • cheerfulcheerful Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2001 S40 and it just run over 40K miles. I don't remember if the tires were 35K or 50K. There is no mentioning in the manual. Does anyone know how to find out?

Thanks!
    Well, do the tires look worn?

Tires don't have an expiration date or expiration miles.
    A lot depends on driving habits, weather, tire pressure, vehicle weight and performance.
    If the tread is below 4/32's or the sidewalls look worn down, or there is a lot of cracking in the tire, it's time to change them.
  • cheerfulcheerful Member Posts: 31
    I've read different numbers from 1/16 to 3/16 inch or 1.5 mm to 3.5mm.

What's the right number?

Thanks!
    4/32's is equal to 2/16's.
    Which is about 3 MM.
    You might find the information posted at Tire Fack useful.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp
    Charlie
  • mike123mike123 Member Posts: 10
    The stock size is 215-50-R16. Is there a 60 series profile that would fit the 2004
    S40? I would like to increase ride height by at least 1" and don't want clearance issues from wheel cowl area to tire.
    Going from 215/50 to 215/60 would increase your "ride height" by nearly 1", but it would actually be a total top of bottom difference of almost 1 3/4". I think that's too much. And it would put your speedometer off by 20%.

What is it you are trying to do? Increase ride comfort? Or pretend to be an SUV? If the former, you could try to increase sidewall height slightly, but you could also try lower tire pressure and tires with softer sidewalls.

• mike123mike123 Member Posts: 10
    The short answer is to increase ground clearance. From day one the 2004 S40 scraped the ground at any slight lot berm or driveway. It has the factory sport suspension so I guess they wanted it to be low to the ground, but it's a bit too low for average driving. Thanks for the reply. Mike123
    Hmmm... Well, that's a problem.

I wonder if there aren't springs available to increase ride height. That would be the way to go. It would take some research. For instance, maybe Mazda3 wagon springs are taller.(?)

• warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    My 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i got a sport suspension? It get hard to tolerate jumps on highways and not talking about city drive. Could I make something other than got less air on my wheels to upgrade my suspension? All those Blistens and/or other shock absorbers brands could help me? Any suggestion??
    It is very rare to find an S40 2.4i with a sport suspension, which is standard on T5 AWD models. If your car does have the sport package, it would have, in addition to the sport suspension, aluminum interior inlays, front fog lamps, and 17" wheels. If your car has 16" wheels, it probably does not have the sport suspension. I have a 2008 S40 T5 FWD, which has the normal suspension but 17" wheels, and I also found the ride much too stiff. I "downgraded" to 16" rims and appropriate tires and found that the ride was much more suited to my taste and driving style.
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    Which tire brand and size? I am ready to get new ones.Thanks
  • huskers430huskers430 Member Posts: 1
    Looking into buying a 2008 S40 but live in Omaha, where winters can be tough. How does the S40 handle in winter weather, especially snow? Anyone have experiences they can share?
    Our snow has been light and limited over the past few years but my 2006 T5awd has done well. Good tires make all the differeece. Tire Rack lists comparisons and ratings that are very useful. My Volvo replaced a Subaru which was great for snow.
    Good luck.
    I have a 2008 S40 T5 FWD. It is great in the winter snow here in NE. I would imagine that the T5 AWD would be even better.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Looking to trade my '06 Civic for a S40 because of spinal issues. Are the seats really that much better & would the power seat be a better fit for someone in my condition? Have always wanted an S40 but the problems associated with them plus the price have kept me away. Would love some information about the pros & cons of the 2.4i base model with power seat option.

TIA folks. Thinking of buying one here in South Florida.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

My Volvo is a 2006 T5 S40...the power seats are great ...some of the best out there. They are firm with good bolsters and a lumbar adjustment.
    You might think of the Civic as a lightweight S40. Both are very good cars. The Volvo weighs more, is more quiet, and feels more solid. Gas milage is 22+city /30+ highway when driven at the legal speeds.
    Since the seat is a major concern be sure to request a long test drive before committing $.
    Good luck,
    Charlie
  • davidp158davidp158 Member Posts: 16
    I have an '06 S40 with leather seats, and I find the side "bolsters" (raised support cushioning along the hips) to be excruciatingly hard. I usually get cramps on drives over 30 minutes. I have spent a lot of time trying various adjustments, and the seats just don't fit my body (5'7", 150 lbs). However, my wife (5'6", 130 lbs.) thinks they are fine.

Another concern may be the overall size of the car. I'm not a big guy, but I do find the S40 to be rather cramped, and interior storage is at a minimum. With your spinal condition, getting in and out of the car may be an issue, as it can be tight depending on where your seat is positioned. The overall ergonomics of the car are great, but in retrospect I wish we had given the S60 more consideration.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the S40. For a small car, the ride, handling and performance are very nice. However, the seats are literally a pain in the butt (for me).

I would urge you to to rent a S40 and put some miles on it to see if it suits you. Whatever car you end up, electric seats are a convenient way to make adjustments as you drive.
    5'7" and 155 here so we are almost the same in size. The Civic seats have become more & more uncomfortable over this past year. Have the seat ratcheted all the way up plus sit on a pillow but egress & ingress are getting more difficult...have to swing the legs out 1st to exit and back in and then pull the legs around to sit down. Have heard marvelous things about the seats though.
    Wifey is very adamant that "I'm stupid" to even consider such a move, but only I know the pain I live with just to drive my car...luckily I only drive about 7200 miles per year. Was supposed to test drive today but my spine has kept me in bed all day so far. Tomorrow will hopefully be better to test drive.
    Both cars are similar in size...wife drives a Mazda 3s, so no problem there. I'll know once I test drive the car. Going to Orlando this weekend and maybe I'll see if i can rent a Volvo for that trip just to see how it works long term. Dealer has an '06 & 2 '08's that look promising. Time will tell.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Drove an '06, 2 '08's and an '09 S49 2.4i and was not impressed with the power seats nor the leather. Did like the neoprene fabric though. Went to try out an '09 Sonata GLS with the power seat and it was way more comfortable for my spinal condition than the S40. Could manipulate the seat better in the Sonata so at this point the S40 is out of the running. Shame as I love the size and the '09 drove seemlessly with smooth shifts and ample power. Looks like my pristine '06 Civic LX will have to do for awhile which makes wifey verrrryyy happy. She thought I was nuts to trade such a nice car with such low mileage...21.8k. Will give the Volvo another look see when the 2010 models come out.
    Shame as I really did want the S40 but the amount of $ plus the just o k seats kept me from pulling the trigger. At least the wife is happy...and like they say, "happy wife, happy life"!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

Hey, Sonata is a very good car and with a better waranty than the S40.
    Good luck and enjoy !
    In my experiences, I haven't found the S40 seats to be anywhere near the quality/comfort of the S60. So you may want to try out its slightly bigger brother before giving up on a used volvo.

• vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    Hey Volvophiles: I've never owned a Volvo, but am looking at buying a 2001 or 2002 S40 or V40 with <100k miles for my youngest daughter. What specific issues should I be aware of with such a vehicle? Suspension, timing belts, trannies, brakes, electronics? I do a lot of my own maintenance/repair work, so little things don't bother me too much, but what about more serious or expensive stuff? Comments/recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks, DP
    So much depends on how well a car was cared for during the previous 8 years ownership. Most new car dealers don't handle these on their used lots thus no waranty. Consumer Reports does not have enough data on 2000-2001 to give a rating. Later models have done OK...mine's a 2006 and no real problems..But parts and major service for Volvos are high and can be more complicated than Japanese.
    A well cared for, mechanic inspected, and thoroughly evaluated..maybe.
    I'd look into a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Protege, or Toyota Prius for my daughter (I did) and do the same evaluations.
    Continue to do your homework and good luck.
This discussion has been closed.