Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

1303132333436»

Comments

• jrb13jrb13 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I have a 2006 Volvo s40 with no valet keys. I have the remotes, but no valet keys for either. I suppose the dealer has to make these (i didn't buy from the dealer). How much should I expect to pay to have these made? Thanks Joe
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    It's only an uncut blank so your local Volvo dealer should sell it reasonably cheap...unlike the remote key that is VERY expensive.
  • volcumvolcum Member Posts: 1
    If you leave the ignition on for two hours won't that kill the new battery?
  • sgtcheesenolssgtcheesenols Member Posts: 1
    Why are you using 87 Octane? The Volvo S40 manual specifically states to use 91 Octane or better with detergents. That means you must use the ultra premium gas (most expensive) when fueling the car.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    My mechanic actually told me not to buy the S40 when I had the bug due to the reliability/parts potential problems. He said after my Civic, it would be a no-brainer to even consider such a foolish proposal. Sure, they look cool and drive o k, the downside just wasn't worth the unknown, and the wife thought I was just "plum out of my mind to even consider something so foolish"! At the end of the day, did nothing & real happy I listened. The change in my driving habits & our life in general made keeping the course already plotted to be the smart move after all. The Civic has been absolutely flawless in the reliability aspect & it gets me where I need to be...not as much fun as a BMW or MB, but it gets the job done. And I know it'll last another 7 or 8 years as things stand now if need be.

So all is good & I can come in to Edmunds and live vicariously through the purchases all my Edmunds buddies make. Also I get the local car rag on a weekly basis so I can look at all the possibilities out there if in fact I ever get a bug to "just do it" sometime down the road. All the planets would need to be aligned correctly but hey...it could happen! So I dream & lurk, the best of both worlds! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• danp1010danp1010 Member Posts: 3
    Guys, I am ready to buy a car, and I was thinking about few years old Volvo S40 (06-07). Any tips and suggestions would be great. Is it worth to spend around 12-13k for few years old volvo S40? Please help me, I don't want to make a costly mistake. What about reliability of 4-5 years old car with 60-70k milage? I know there are many reliable cars like honda, toyota etc, but there is something missing for me, look is also important for me. I don't think I am gonna make more than 15000 miles a year, probably less, but I don't want to spend half of my free time in the mechanic shop :) Also what about costs of parts for volvo S40 (in my case in Chicago, but I don't know if it matters), is it really that much higher than for example japanese cars? Thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    As long as you avoid the dealer, cost of repairs really isn't all that different. As far as value is going to depend on model and options. I do, however, strongly suggest a FWD T5. Volvo's AWD has a fatal flaw that could cost a small fortune to fix, and the 2.5 turbo is an older and quite reliable engine.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• blumsteinblumstein Member Posts: 38
    One consideration is that it will be very hard to get parts for Japanese cars for quite a while because of their radiation problems. Once the supply line starts up, they'll have to use parts for new cars as well as replacement parts. I don't have any idea how they'll divvy that up, but it may take years to get it back to normal.
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    My 2006 S40 AWD has been about average for repair issues. A window switch, oil pan sensor (Volvo extended warranty covered) and ignition switch and basic maintenance. Still on original brake pads at 67000. Oil filter replacenent is a PITA but only required every 7500 miles...I use synthetic oil as a precaution. I've had no problems with awd and I like the traction security it provides.
    Volvo parts are not cheap and neither is their service department costs.
    It's a solid, safe, and reasonably trouble free car with mpg ranging 20-31 (high test gas)depending on roads, traffic, and how you drive. When I replace it I'll purchase a second Prius. 50 trouble free mpg on regular is hard to argue with.
  • danp1010danp1010 Member Posts: 3
    Gentlemen (and ladies),
    So I am a proud owner of black, 2007 Volvo S40, so far so good, can't complain. I had a pleasure to drive similar vehicles before so it is not surprising to me that driving that car gives so much pleasure. If I could I would sleep in that car :) Now hopefully it will last long before I will have to switch to newer model.
    Of course there is a small scratch here and there (the back bumper), the front seat is wear off a bit, but somehow I don't see it when I seat behind the wheel.
    Like the look of this car (very important to me), like the simple interior (I don't want to see milion buttons on my console), even the sound system is ok to me.
    I think I am gonna take it for another ride today...
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Any indications from Volvo [or elsewhere] re. changes that are planned for the 2012 model
  • pawlybaulspawlybauls Member Posts: 8
    S40 is discontinued for 2012. Sounds like Geely is starting to do some house cleaning.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    That was already in the cards before Geely was in the picture.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

This discussion has been closed.