Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• aphillips2aphillips2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2000 S40 with 16k and the cold weather package. Currently the dealer is asking $20,900 plus the certified warranty. This is down from the $21,900 they had it marked to. I know the dealer probably got the thing for next to nothing since the guy who traded it in only had it for 8 months and traded it in for another 2000. I checked the history and there are no problems with the car which was my first concern. I test drove it and it rode very nicely. What I would like to know is what the estimated trade in value was. No sites including Edmunds or Kelley can give me numbers because it is too soon for the 2000's. Can anyone give me an idea of what the dealer likely paid for the trade in.

Thanks
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    what the trade in is on the Volvo S40, but two things to note (1) 16K in 8 months is high mileage in my mind, and (2) you can buy a new Infiniti G20 for a little more than the 21K price tag. I think this is a bad deal.
  • ks41ks41 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 2001 s40. Its a great european car. Its size is just right, engine is very willing and turbo produces no noticeable lag. The strongest points of this car have to be handling and safety. If feels very smooth on long roads but its a little bouncy on Los Angeles streets. The only thing I do not like about it is its lack of view of rear traffic from drivers seat, I dont feel comfortable changing lanes because view is blocked by a high raised trunk, but its just a case of getting used to. Otherwise I think for the money this is the best european toy available.
  • temeculas2temeculas2 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I own both the 2000 S 40 Sedan and the 2000 V 40 wagon ( mine). I took the sedan in to the dealer for service this morning. The fuel level has never read correctly. The dealer ordered a new sensor and this did not fix the problem. Now the dealer is replacing part of the dash. Also the "check engine" light came on. He seems to think a software download will solve the problem. We will see at 5pm when I go to pick it up. My drive home from the dealer in a rented 2001 Ford Tarus made me so thankful for our two Volvos. I love my wagon and would buy it again. Both 40s are top of the line with leather interior, power seats,moonroofs etc. I love the handling, responsiveness and performance. Just wish that our dealer offered Volvo loaners, not domestic rentals.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    My parents are thinking of buying one of these for my 17 year old brother. They feel if he buys a car himself he is going to buy something unsafe,and will be likley to get hurt in those "all 17 year olds have um" car accidents. They are willing to pay $26,000, he would perfer the beamer, but my parents feel with a sport type car he will be more eager to speed, any feed back woud be very helpfull.
    My parents are thinking of buying one of these for my 17 year old brother. They feel if he buys a car himself he is going to buy something unsafe,and will be likley to get hurt in those "all 17 year olds have um" car accidents. They are willing to pay $26,000, he would perfer the beamer, but my parents feel with a sport type car he will be more eager to speed, any feed back woud be very helpfull.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    your parents have more money than brains if these
    are the cars he is looking at. maybe a 1992 or so
    toyota corolla,mazda protege, or volkswagen
    golf/jetta would be more appropriate. the average
    40 year old can't afford the cars you mention.

p.s.- tell them there is a very nice 24 year old in birmingham,alabama who would gratefully take any of the three with a giant smile.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Could be worse...they could be buying him a Camaro or SUV. If they're going to be buying their 17 year old son a $26,000 car (not that I agree with that; I most certainly don't) an S40 wouldn't be a bad choice. Better, I think, than a BMW. Of course, a Passat would also be a good choice.

Still, they should save their money, buy him a five year old Accord or Camry, and let him wreck that instead.
    A five year old corolla, camry or accord is not going to have the safty of a volvo or a saab, grant it the bmw is his desire and unpractical wish, its not going to happen.
    I am sorry for causing trouble, yes carollas camrys and accords are nice cars, dependable, safe, and they even have some of the basic luxury featurs like ac, power windows, that kind of stuff. And if someone can not afford a car like that it dose not mean anything, there not bad aprents and they are not bad people. But I highly doubt that a single person on this forum would turn down an entry level luxury car for a basic sedan. No offense to any one.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    you don't have to apologize because your parents can afford to buy their kids a nice car. You also don't have to apologize if you think an S40 is a nicer, safer, and more luxurious car than a five year old Accord or whatever. It is a nicer, safer car. I did not read into your comments that you were implying that a parent that does not buy their kid a Volvo is somehow a lousy parent. Kudos to your parents for wanting something safe for their kids. All parents want a safe car for their kids, but some can't afford an S40. That does not make them bad parents. It does not make them low-class. But no one should have to apologize because they CAN afford something....that's ridiculous. We do what we can with what we have. Simple as that.
  • mikeinrimikeinri Member Posts: 3
    Considering purchasing a Volvo S40.

Biggest concerns are:

Heard Volvo Customer Service is less than adequate. Something about it being outsourced. Is this true? Although I read somewhere that Volvo is #2 is customer satisfaction last year, so they can't be doing too much wrong.

Concerned that the S40 may be eliminated now that S60 is off the board and only a few thousand more. Anyone hear anything to this effect? Personally, I like the looks of the S40 better; the S60 is too big for me.

Concerned about the rear visability issue (although I guess i'll be able to see this for myself once I test drive).

Concerned about the stigma associated with the vehicle because of its affiliation with Mitsubishi and Ford ownership. I discount this concern since I know it shares very little, if any parts with a Mitsub (only chasis from what I hear) and that it is independant from Ford. Anyone disagree?

:-) Sorry so long... Comments welcomed.
  • brad45brad45 Member Posts: 27
    when GM bought them out. I think Ford has built a better reputation for quality over the passed 5 to 10 years than GM has. Saab quality has improved since being aquired. Why are people so scared of Ford? The bottom line in both cases is that the large American company provided a much needed cash infustion for a small European manufacturer(Ford is one of the most cash rich companies in the world). In return the American company was provided with an easy way into the european luxury market (Saab compliments Opel and Volvo compliments Ford Europe). If it wasn't for Ford the S40 would probably never have come to America. Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.

BTW the S40 has leaped to tops on my want list since a test drive this weekend(still haven't driven the Passat). Unfortunately, I think it may be just out of my reach financially. I feel like starting a discussion so - After driving the S40 and 325 (both fairly stripped) I can't see how the bimmer is worth $3k-5k more.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    If I just want a base model, I think I'll pick S40 (actually, a base A4 1.8t costs similar as S40 but everyone expects an A4 has sunroof). If I want sunroof, wood trim, AWD, I'll buy A4 1.8t (However, a 2001 1.8t has no wood trim... Don't need quattro ? Why buy an A4 ? Buy a 2002 Passat 1.8t). If you option sunroof, leather and wood trim to a S40, its price will be very close to an A4 1.8t.

SAAB 9-3 is a good car but it costs a little bit more than an A4 1.8t. A 9-3 may be faster but its interior is a little bit old-fashion or strange. I prefer Audi.

Of course I like BMW the most. If I have more money to spend, I'll buy a 325 AWD (I think $400+ for foldable rear seats is crazy.)

It surprises me S40 has more front head room, leg room, but it has less rear leg room than an A4...
    S40 is more liked a Japanese car than a Volvo.
  • afryarafryar Member Posts: 50
    My lease will be up soon on my 98 Accord EX Coupe (v6). I love the car but I think I'm ready for a change. Is anybody willing to share what they're lease payments are on a new, fairly loaded (leather, sunroof, wood trim) s40? Figuring 3 years, 12K miles, and maybe 1,500 down? Any help would be appreciated! Also, I could've sworn Volvo.com offered a manual trans. but I guess this is not true?
    Thanks
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Are they doing it for v40's? They're not advertising it, thats for sure...What state are you in? How much total out the door?
  • ggeckoiiiggeckoiii Member Posts: 17
  • spooky4spooky4 Member Posts: 4
    hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.
    just picked up the s40 this moring. I'm in Columbus,Ohio.sticker was $ 28,545. Lease was $ 279.00 with $ 2,779 cap cost reduction. included gap protection,and 15,000 miles. They made the first payment. Don't know if they're doing it for the wagon,sticker is $ 1,000 higher on the v40.This was the only red (non Metallic) the dealer had.
  • mbrunsmbruns Member Posts: 1
    My Volvo (lease)experience began in February 2000
    with the S40, leather, sun roof, wood trim etc.
    The only "complaint" I have so far is that I
    notice an excessive amount of wind noise.
    (When I test drove the car, I left the lock box on the rear window so I didn't notice the noise). Anyway, when I mentioned it to the dealer, they said that it was due to the side mirror.
    However, I strongly believe that the car is not
    fit properly. Is anybody else experiencing this
    problem ?. Right now it's for 39 mos, not for life.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #386:

mbruns, my experience is that unless you want a Lexus or big Benz, you should expect a minimal amount of either wind noise or road noise (tires). I'm quite certain that you shouldn't expect the S40 to be whisper quiet except for on new roads. If you get a chance, ask your dealer for a test drive in another S40 for comparison. The noise should probably be there but it shouldn't be intrusive (if it is then there probably is a problem of some sort). Fit of the body panels would be one of the last culprits I would suspect of causing wind noise but I suppose it is possible.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • ianrosdaleianrosdale Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

Would you like to have a place where you can talk about your 40-series Volvo? This message is for all Volvo owners, Volvo enthusiasts, prospective Volvo owners, or car enthusiasts in general. The best Volvo enthusiast site has just opened up on the internet, and we need your participation. Building a great Volvo community is what this site is all about. This site includes the 40 series, 60 series, 70 series, 80 series, 200 series, 700 series, 800 series, 900/90 series, and all other Volvo models throughout the years. This new site will only be great if it has a lot of people using and visiting it. Please register and become one of the first to be a part of the newest, best Volvo enthusiast site on the internet. This new site is called SwedeSpeed! I hope to see you there! Please visit us at:

www.SwedeSpeed.com

-Ian Rosdale
  • 56roses56roses Member Posts: 4
    Last night I picked up my new S40. Red (non-metallic) with light taupe leather interior. Came with the leather/cd package, sunroof, cold weather package and wood interior package.
    Ready for this...NO MONEY DOWN (Volvo sign and drive program), Volvo paid the first month, I paid the taxes up front.
    Ready for this...$359/month for 39 months (actually 38 months since Volvo paid the 1st month). I think this is a terrific deal and I could not match it with any competing car...especially the safety features.
    Have not seen this deal mentioned on this forum but it seems to be available in the New York region.
    Looking forward to many happy miles.
  • hp2665hp2665 Member Posts: 1
    I want to lease an S40--the sign & drive deal ends tomorrow (Volvo waives 1st month pmt, sec deposit, and acquisition fee)--ony $575 dest. charge remains. The dealer I worked with today had two cars I am interested in--both loaded w roof, audio, leather. One has cw pkg, one sport pkg. The dealer has quoted me 27500 as the cap cost on each-dealer prices are both about 28,600. Is this reasonable? W/holdback, the dealer stands to make no less than 1100 on each car. Should I continue to try to work the price down or is this fair? Need help soon-deal ends tomorrow!!
    I ended up at $ 100.00 over invoice,excluding the holdback which I think is only $ 235.00. (posted on Edmunds).My sticker was about the same as yours. Whats your lease payment? Mine is $279.00 with 15,000 miles per year,with $ 2,779 cap cost reduction. Great car,great deal. Good luck.
    spook4,

if i run the numbers it seems that your deal at $279/month with the $2779 cap cost payment comes pretty close to the deal ($359/month)i got with no cap cost reduction or did i do the math wrong?
    Was your starting point the sign and drive program or something else? I found there was no room to bargain due to Volvo offering such a terrific lease deal (i think they used a residual of 64%!

Either way, this is a lot of car for the money!

Good luck with your S40 and many happy miles!
    Edmunds said the Volvo increase the torque of the 2001 S40 but I couldn't find it different from the 2000's by looking at the specs Edmunds posted. I've also found that the options are confusing. How can a sunroof/audio package cost several hundreds, cheaper than sunroof or audio upgrade alone ?

Does anyone has photos of the 2001 S40 interior ? Is it actually using better material ?
    I test drove a 2000 and a 2001 S40 back to back. Both had cloth interiors, and the 2001's cloth was of a higher quality.
    Went to drive the S40 last night. Volvo has extended the sign and drive lease deal-- there's one problem. Our infant seat doesn't fit in the back. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board, I guess. Does anyone know if Volvo makes their own infant seats, or which brands fit? I've got a Graco, the kind that snaps into the matching stroller.
    lancerfixer or anyone who test drove 2001:

Can you tell the ride difference between 2000 & 2001. Edmunds says Volvo improves the engine and increase the torque.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #395:

lancerfixer, Volvo does sell car seats that I would hope would fit the S40. They are available through the parts department at any dealership. Give them a call and ask if they've ever tried one in the 40 series car. Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • mbgardnermbgardner Member Posts: 1
    what do you all think of this private party lease from a dealer (not a volvo or other manufacturer's franchisee). 249 per month for 39 months with $1000 down. This is for the base model with alloy wheels, cloth interior, no sunroof,
    mbgardner,

seems like a terrific deal! that is $100/month less than the current Volvo deal.
    Thanks for the info; I thought about getting the Volvo infant seat, but I'd just as soon keep the one we've got. It's got a matching stroller that it snaps into, which is very convenient for transporting our two week old daughter, instead of moving her from seat to seat every time we get out of the car somewhere, like the mall or wherever. I'd just as soon have a car that this seat fits into. I guess a used S/V70 or a new Passat will have to do.
  • rriulrriul Member Posts: 8
    I have a S40 for 6 months. So far so good. This morning I tried to start the engine. It is single digit outside. The car is in the parking lot. It took me twice to start the engine. The engine seems to hesitate a few seconds before it fires. I had a Mazda 626 before. I never happened like this. Is this usual for Volvo? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    I've had my S40 for about a month 1,100 miles. same thing happened once or twice to me ,wouldn't start on the first try.Started right up on the second try.
    Called my salesman ,he said that was normal for the S40. I'll have them check it at the first oil change.
    Great car.
    Happy Holidays
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 6
    I am very impressed with the performance of this car. a heavy foot on the freeway can still get you 29 mpg. If my 99 A4 five speed performed this well I would still have it. It wouldn't get out of its own way.
    Body feel on the S-40 isn't really volvo. door handles and door feel is very light. Hardware is so-so. side marker lights aren't tight, lower grill pieces aren't secure. Seems to lack that European feel. But, it runs great and economically.
  • ojeda719ojeda719 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my S40 for a month today - driven almost 2000 miles on it so far and no problems. Living in SoCal I won't have to worry about cold morning starts - and I'm getting 25-26 mpg all around, despite driving in LA traffic half the time. Wondering if anyone has installed roof racks to carry a bike and its effect on performance, noise, mileage, etc. Happy New Year.
  • rckmagicrckmagic Member Posts: 1
    MB Gardner, where do you live and what dealership? That sounds like a great deal to me so I might use that on the local dealership here.

Thanks.
  • tomsoltistomsoltis Member Posts: 22
    28000 miles so far on my 2000 S40. So far so good. My biggest complaints are with my Volvo dealer service dept. Other than that, so far so good. However, I do wish the stereo separation was a little better.
    just came back from a weekend trip to gatlingburg.all highway with alot of moutain driving thru Ky and Tenn. trip down 31.8 mpg,overall counting some intown driving there 29.4mpg. Used 92 and 93 octane. I'm impressed.
  • vweatherlyvweatherly Member Posts: 1
    I test drove the 2001 Volvo S40 with Leather/Audio Package, Wood-Effect Package and Silver Metallic paint . . . the dealer told me that $25,989 was the best they could do for me plus an additional $595 for the spoiler for a total of $26,584. Does that sound like a fair price? Has anyone else found a better deal?
  • littleedlittleed Member Posts: 2
    My wife and i recently test drove a 2001 s40. We loved the s40 it was fun to drive. Then we went down the road to another volvo dealership and they had a 2000 s70 that had been a fleet vehicle. It had only 8000 miles on it and was loaded inside (sunroof,leather,cd,climate control,and power seats)all for $25,000. My question to everyone is which car is the best deal and better car in the long run.
  • pdcornwellpdcornwell Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I test drove the 2001 Volvo S40 the other day and got a lease price as follows: $1767 down (includes first month payment & taxes), $369/mo for a 4 yr lease, no service included (we have to pay for all service, including oil changes). The car has leather seats, sun roof, audio pkg, heated seats. Is this a good deal or should we keep looking???? We also test drove the 2001 BMW 325i and could have that for a 3 yr lease at $478/mo, with $1600 down (includes first month payment & taxes), this includes all service & oil changes, and it has the leather seats, moon roof, cd pkg, etc. Help!
  • oolerooler Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a vehicle. It seems the Passat gets better ratings, but my wife insists on a Volvo S40. Any professional recommendations?
    I will pick Passat. Although I found the S40 seems to be faster and smoother than Passat after I test drove it, I heard that S40 is not as reliable as the traditional Volvo. It is more liked a Japanese sedan. Its price can be expensive even though you just add sunroof package and CD player. The price will be closed to an A4.

If I a Passat, I will spend ~$800 to extend the bumper-bumper warranty to 5-6 years (I don't want to keep the car for 10 years).

S40
    Pro: 1. Quicker
    2. It did not require premium fuel in 2000
    but I am not sure if the 2001 model needs
    3. Volvo image
    4. Safty-oriented
    5. Automatic climate control
    6. Power antenna
    7. normal/sport mode
    8. less weight (good for me but bad for some)
    9. Larger glove box and better cup holder
    10. better security system
    11. better bumper-bumper warranty
    12. Turning circle is smaller (good for U-
    turn ??)

Passat
    Pro: 1. Built-in fog lights
    2. standard headlight washers in 2001.5 ?
    3. updated model (2001.5)
    4. Tilt and telescope steering wheel
    5. Standard traction control
    6. more interior and trunk room
    7. nicer plastic inside (I think)
    8. 1 touch AUTO up and down windows on
    driver and passenger side. You can even
    use the key to control windows/sunroof
    up/down ! (S40 doesn't have any 1 touch
    auto up window. It has only 1 touch auto
    down driver side window. No 1 touch AUTO
    up/down at passenger side)
    9. more rear legroom
    10. If you option for leather, Passat has
    better leather than S40.
    11. better powertrain warranty
    12. You can choose 5-speed or automatic
    trans. Tiptronic is much more fun than
    S40's.
    13. Better look.
    14. Engine and components similar to A4's.
    15. Full size alloy wheel spare tire.
    16. Sunroof package gives you alloy wheels.
    17. A little bit more sporty feel
    18. It is easier to add a remote starter to
    its security system.
  • melbourne1melbourne1 Member Posts: 1
    I just finished replacing my second S40 low beam headlight bulb -- car is <1yr old has about 9,300 miles on it. This is a great car, EXCEPT, it is almost impossible to replace these bulbs because there isn't enough clearance behind the headlight assemblies to get the rubber boots off and the bulbs in and out.

Has anyone else had this problem.
  • paolettipaoletti Member Posts: 1
    Until Dec 31, 2000, Volvo had a special lease promotion on the S40. The S40 lease price you quoted, of 369/month for 4 years with 1767 down, is much higher than the recent promotion. I got my S40 loaded for 349/month with 0 down (before taxes). If you're not in a hurry, I would wait for Volvo to offer another incentive program. Currently I saw a lease deal on the Volvo S60, which will still come in much less than a BMW. If you are looking at BMW, and money is no object (the price you quoted is 478/month), I think the BMW is a better car. Price-wise, comparably equipped, the BMW is definitely in a higher price class, though.
  • jchoejchoe Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if snow cables can be safely put onto an S40? According to a dealer, there is not enough clearance for snow chains and they need to put on a specially mounted system onto the wheels that will cost more than $300!
  • pvaughanpvaughan Member Posts: 1
    I am in the midst of closing a deal on a 2001 S40. (I need to sell my truck first). The lease deal I am looking at is as follows:

Fully loaded (every option, bell and whistle)
    Capitalized cost - $28,300
    $3000 drive-off
    48 month term
    Monthly lease rate - $350 (includes tax)

Is this a good deal? The cap cost is $500 off MSRP.

Thanks in advance,
    -Paul
  • elainetxelainetx Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2000 S40 with 20,000 miles; it's 13 mos old. The front passenger headlight has burnt out 3 times so far, with increasing frequency.

There's a "retro fit" for this problem; something about too much amperage (or something) going to the lights hence they burn out.

Unfortunately, the retro fit (on my car) has also failed. After the retro fit fix, my passenger headlight burnt out in about 10 days, but the crowning achievement was that the other headlight also burnt out two days ago, leaving me with no low beam lights whatsoever (bright still works).

I'm afraid that this experience, including bringing the car in to the dealership three times this month is starting to sour me on the car. I shoulda kept the Honda...

The Volvo is currently at the dealership where the stumped service dept is trying to figure out what's going on.
This discussion has been closed.