Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• pacituppacitup Member Posts: 1
    I too had a similar problem on my 2001. Believe it or not the popping noise went away inexplicably at about 10,000 miles. Gone. Might of been part of the break in process. Now, everything is perfect.
  • gkone69gkone69 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Volvo S40 last year in march. The car had 466 miles on me & it died on me. the check engine light keeps coming up almost every other week. The speedometer stopped working & the abs system had corrosion in it. I do not park my car in a swamp. The car died on me twice again, I took it back & they said that the realy switch in the fuel pump had to be replaced. At this poin I was really frustrated so I demanded a new car or my money back.... I live in Washington state where the lemon law states that if the car is a lemon then the manufacturer gives you the blue book value of the car & not the original cost of the car. As the auto industry is so strong in this country anytime there is a lemon the customer is the one who suffers at all times. After looking into the lemon law & taking legal advice I decided to take back my car as I was the one who was getting screwed. All this time... for two months I was without a car since I did not feel safe enough to drive that car as it had died on me 4 times .... When I get it back after two months I drive the car for about ten miles & the car dies again... I would never ever buy a Volvo again & the company is the worst to deal with.My friend had a BMW & it was a lemon & they took good care of him... The S40's ARE BAD.. DO NOT BUY THEM.
  • txrx71txrx71 Member Posts: 6
    Since I may be one of the few in this board who have actually owned both a ego metro and a volvo s-40 I can say that while this may not be a bad statement it is also not true. by the way, I had my geo metro for 136k with no troubles at all except for replacing the brakes ($350). the s-40 is a very nice car. this is not a brand new build, it has been in europe for several years prior to being sold here in the us. if you have a chance to go to europe, basically the only volvo you see over there, and you see a fair amount, are the s-40s. my s-40 has 7k and no troubles at all so far. one strange thing about yours, seems like the dealership should at least have given you a loaner...also...was this car flooded?
  • david1812david1812 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks. I'll wait a six months or so. If it doesn't go away, I'll mention it at the 7.5K service.
  • sherithompsherithomp Member Posts: 1
    I could not believe all the problems I was reading on here, my dealership makes me think I am the only person on this planet having problems with my car! I too have had a/c problems, hub cap symbols popping off more than I care to recall. I have had this car for 13 months, and on unlucky number 13 trip to the service department I was told I need to replace my front and rear brakes at 14,500 miles. I had a 1979 Ford Pinto with less problems. Not to mention the vacuum valve on the brakes breaking twice. The first time I was told my brakes didn't work because I was not letting my car warm up long enough.
    This car is not worth 28+ thousand dollars. I leased this car because of Volvo's reputation, good thing they have such high saftey standards, who knows what will happen next time my brakes stop working.
  • stuckinparkstuckinpark Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Volvo S40. It gets stuck in park sometimes. The dealer said I wasn't pressing on the brake hard enough, but even when I floor the break and try to put the car in drive it won't budge. Sound familiar to anyone? If so, what was the problem?
    Thanks.
  • hollythes40hollythes40 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to get your attention for a moment if you have a 2000 Volvo S40. Be aware that your brakes are warrantied until 12,000 miles. Your "high performance" rear brakes will need to be replace between 6000-20,000 miles. I have found that it is mostly around 15,000 miles, which is completely insane!

The clicking in the steering column is not in your head. It is a problem that many of us have. I have chosen to ignore it for fear of the masterminds at my dealership completely screwing up my steering column.

You are also not imagining that your brakes completely suck the first 5-15 minutes of drive time. This is another problem. AND the service bulletin most likely will not fix this issue, so don't get fed the line about the fuses.

When your BRAKE light goes on and your dealer just tops off your fluid, BEWARE!!!!!! Brakes are failing even after your fluid is topped off. I have read this several times! Let's get serious now, do you honestly think that your fluid should get low in your first 15,000 miles?? I believe that I lost fluid due to malfunctioning rear callipers. I believe that my rear brakes have been dragging... and if the dealer would have maybe checked them instead of just topping off the fluid, my "high performance" pads (which by the way will not be the same ones that your pads will be replaced with. The new ones are harder...hmmmm.)my rotor would not need to be replaced. Yep, I know there are 2 rotors in the back... passenger side wears more... a hydraulics problem? Maybe? Maybe not, but I am a girl so I must not know anything about cars.

Oh, but after scaring the dealer they replace my entire rear brake system... BUT I had to wait for them to fly another rotor in because the over 12 area Volvo dealers did not have a single rotor in stock for this car. Gee, maybe because we all need them!!!!

Oh, by the way, if you gas mileage sucks, it could be your spark plugs that suck, or perhaps it's those rear brakes dragging. I get 16.7 MPG, used to get 21. Drive the SAME drive each and every day to and from work. I would consider it city driving even though I am on the expressway... only for about 8 minutes.
    I used to have a 91 Taurus... 6 cyl better gas mileage than my poor S40. And, I do not drive like a jerk either.

Oh, and yep, the headlight bulbs will go out quite frequently, but once your dealer works thru old crap stock you will get longer life bulbs that will last.

The buzzing fuel pump... another Volvo secret, last I heard they were still trying to figure this one out. A new fuel pump was manufactured.

Other problems you may have that (knock on wood) I have not experienced:
    Stereo bad reception
    Alarm malfunctioning
    Truck lock forever frozen
    Plastic wheel inserts falling off
    Air Conditioner working only for the first hour or so of a long trip
    Fuel injectors dumping into cyl
    vacuum valve on the brakes
    Hard starts (engine should not crank 6 times to start)
    Alignment off initially
    gas odor inside of car

I would LOVE to hear from all of you.. even those who are going to say "I love my car, it's spectacular" I would love to hear what your gas mileage is since my dealer told me there was nothing else he could do. I would love to hear from anyone with any advice. I have gotten wonderful advice on the brickboard! Diehards are a wealth of information and I truly appreciate all of it! Any information brought forth only helps others!

I would also like to let you know a few things... I am not a new Volvo owner, I am not a Volvo hater. I deal with Volvo body parts all day. I talk to thousands of Volvo owners every month. Since I am dealing with replacement body parts, I am not hearing from S40 owners, as we are all new people. I love Volvos, in fact, although my car makes me want to throw up on most days, I still love my car. You know, you own a Volvo and it becomes a person. You name it... well, I did. Anyway I also have an 850 which is Mahvelous. However if I could do it all over again I would have save a few more grand and bought a BMW, or I would have went to out to find the nice Mexican family that bought "Rusty" the trusty 240 wagon from my youth. Plaid seat and all. If you have a 240, 740, 850, for the love of God, keep it, don't upgrade to this (not that it would be an UPgrade for any of them technically) Wait until Volvo straightens their act out. You will be glad you did!!! If you are looking into purchasing this car used, you need to think about this: Why is a car that has only been owned for 20 months or less for sale? Test car? Maybe. Probably not.

For those of you who have a wonderful 2000 S40 congratulations, I am jealous. BEWARE.

Feel free to post to the board or directly to my email: volvolights@aol.com

Owner of Holly the sad S40 :(
  • txrx71txrx71 Member Posts: 6
    I get 27 mpg in my volvo. no strange noises or knocks. the ride is comfortable and smooth. Acceleration is outrageous and the car cruises comfortably at 90+mph. the engine has a nice percolating rumble to it during idling and the transmission shifts adeptly. The brakes work wonderfully. The doors shut soundly and the car sounds like its made of solid steel. The radio works beautifully and its much cleaner, crisper and yes... louder than a lot of custom jobs that teenagers save up a whole summer for. The interior of my car is black leather which matches beautifully with the glossy fire engine red exterior. with all that said... must admit, I did have a problem with mine... one blown fuse and at one point... thought another blown fuse since my blinkers stopped working... but then the next day after a visit to the dealership, they worked again-perhaps the wiring was done by an exiled GM autoworker. other than that..my volvo is a piece of art. surely these other problem cars are not made by volvo..but instead that other swedish car maker..have those posts been misplaced?
  • dgibaracdgibarac Member Posts: 1
    We have S40 leased. For many times check engine light disturbed us. Service says usually that we did not closed fuel cap properly but can not be proven. Last time they changed the program in cars computer but after a week the same. We must wait in service few/several hours for car without replacement... Does anybody know if we have rights e.g. replace the car, break lease contract, demand expertise, ask for some reimbursement due repeating inconvenience etc>

Dusan
  • robertagrobertag Member Posts: 6
    If you are using regular fuel, that could be it. I had the same thing happen at first. It dissapeared after I switched to premium. I have also read the same thing elsewhere.
  • januszjanusz Member Posts: 1
    Today I encountered the first major disappointment with my 2000 S40. My wife took it to the dealer for a routine checkup and was told that rear brakes must be replaced. The car is slightly over one year and has 19,000 miles on it. So far the car has been OK and I was rather patient with the ever-popping "check engine" light. I didn't make a fuss about the headlight bulbs burning excessively. Today, however, I got really mad. New REAR brakes after lousy 19,000 miles !!! It is known fact that 80% of braking is done with the FRONT brakes and the front brakes in my car are OK. My 10 year old Buick didn't need rear brakes for the first 100,000 miles. Dealer, of course, refused to cover this replacement under warranty and made a statement that I am planning to use against Volvo. He said: "...what did you expect, Volvo is known for brakes to last 10 to 15 thousand miles. They were designed that way." This is outrageous. I called Volvo Headquarters and was told that the field rep will review my case. He better, because I intend to take Volvo to court. Not to recoup the lousy $160.00 the dealer charged me but as a matter of principal. If any of you experienced similar problem please let me know. I need the ammunition. Maybe when we join forces we can accomplish something substantial. Please write me at jburek@cyberwar.com.
    Thanks,
    Janusz
  • peterpan2peterpan2 Member Posts: 11
    Is there a 2002 S40 due out any time soon ?
  • drblockdrblock Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying or leasing a new 2001 S40 within the next few weeks. However, I am concerned about how the car will hold up in the climate I live in (Buffalo, NY). I know that there is a cold weather package offered on the S40, but, still--winters here can be rough.

Does anyone reading this board have experience with the S40 (or any other Volvos, for that matter) in rough, cold climates? Does the car hold up well, not just in maneuvering hazardous conditions, but also in resisting rust damage (both on the paint and in the undercarriage).

Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • wwaipowerwwaipower Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2001 S40. Have got it for two months and so far so good. But I started to notice a rattling after 2000 kms and it seems to be coming from the rear shaft and the noise is heard from the trunk. It's noticeable when you turn off your radio. It's of course quiet when riding on perfect plain road. Has anyone had the same problem?
    Thanks!
    Very happy with handling. No DSA but excellent snow tires and had no problems at all. This was driving in Toronto & Montreal all winter. Haven't seen any rust, but then, I wouldn't expect it either after only 8 months.
  • trecchuititrecchuiti Member Posts: 8
    Okay, I have read many posts here that the 2000 S40 made them unhappy. I am considering a 2001 S40 and have test driven it several times. Seems quiet, good pickup. Do not like the manual dial for the info on the car or the manual knob for climate control but both small issues. Seats are comfy and well it should be safe as it is a Volvo. The current deal is $2,000 down and $289 for 48 months for a lease. The car has the leatherette, cold weather package, sunroof. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. I also looked at an Audi A4 (money factor not as good but loved the ride) and a Saab 9-3 (still drives like a....Saab) but really like the value, feel, and look of the Volvo. Thanks to all.
  • shawn325ishawn325i Member Posts: 100
    My 98 S70 se has been a great car in all seasons. It has been a very solid safe performer in the snow, Volvo is actually known for this as the winters in Sweden are brutal.

No rust!! 4 years old
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    Up until recently Volvo's did terrible in the snow, they were all rear wheal drive, I remember once as a child our volvo actually slid off the road and all the way up someones lawn in only about 2 inches of snow. Now they do wonderful (especially the AWD) but people use to get brutely angry because volvo's should have done better than they did (because of the assumption that because Sweden had harsh winters they should have winter friendly cars)
  • dianeb773dianeb773 Member Posts: 19
    I had a 2000 S40 with 18,600 miles that I just traded for an Audi A6 2.8. I thought I was getting a good car but replaced the rear brake pads at 14,000 and the front pads just before I got rid of it. The problem that cinched me getting rid of the car was an annoying squeak in the right rear. I had it at the dealer twice (one week, then 3 days at a time) and they still couldn't find the problem. They replaced the right strut and that was actually a bent strut so they replaced it a second time and nothing helped. The service manager told me he actually had 2 other cars in for the same thing. As I was driving to pick up my Audi the squeak was actually louder than it had ever been. I knew I would have been frustrated and angry if I had kept that car so I'm glad that I got rid of it. I broke even and I have to say, I love my new Audi. I thought a Volvo would have been a dependable, long-lasting car. I will never recommend or purchase Volvo again.
  • s40girls40girl Member Posts: 2
    I can't believe that people are saying that the Volvo S40 is a lemon! I just signed on the dotted line two days ago and am picking it up in a month. Am I going to have to kick myself later? I assume people are talking about the 2000 model and not the 2001 one. Hopefully this year's model runs smoothly. I currently drive a 1999 Volvo S70 GLT and its had its share of problems, but not to the extent that was described above.
  • shawn325ishawn325i Member Posts: 100
    again, Volvo's are known for being good winter cars!!! How long have they been FWD and or AWD???The fact that you had some difficultey with your Volvo in the snow probably says more about the person's driving in that condition than anything.

Besides, I believe the question was rgarding today Volvo's not yesterdays.
    Sue,
    I'm afraid some of it applies to the 2001. So far, I've had to visit the dealer for a recall, a broken power door lock, rattle, seat back that won't recline, stalling problem, and now my rear brakes are shot after only 16,000km!
    Hope you have better luck than I do.
    But, on the other hand, it's still a nice car to drive.
  • volvolemonvolvolemon Member Posts: 3
    For anyone who feels that an occasional lemon does not necessarily make for a bad car model, go back and read the posts and compare them to other cars/manufacturers. Where else do you see dozens of posts complaining about the same recurring problems? While every manufacturer has the occasional lemon, MOST owners of the S40 have had the same persistent problems which seem to indicate that Volvo (or more accurately volvo/FORD) is no longer making a good, safe product.
  • maggienmaggien Member Posts: 6
    Sue -
    I also just bought a 2001 S40. I was assured by the dealer that they were very dependable cars but am incredibly depressed to read all of these posts.
    I got an incredible deal and thats why I purchased it. They told me that when/if I had problems with the car I would get a service loaner. Have other people at least got that when they have problems? Robert? How long are the brakes under warranty? I do stop-go commute every day in LA.
    If everyone is having problems then we need to insist that the dealership fix them. is it that they can't find them or are trying to tell everyone that its just them? I had a lemon Saturn with recurring problems and can't deal with it if the Volvo is the same. Life is too full to spend time at the dealers.
  • volvolemonvolvolemon Member Posts: 3
    I too was told that a loaner car would be available. This was true the first couple of times that I took the car in, but once I started having recurring problems I was not given the loaner. Instead they gave me a voucher for the local rental outlet down the street which would always tell me that the voucher didn't quite cover the cost of a comparable car. The volvo roadside service was also worthless. The last time the car broke down I waited over 4 hours for their "guaranteed 45 minute service" and finally called the auto club.
  • ArasGArasG Member Posts: 1
    Bought my sport edition after looking at Passats (Audi) and several others. I was ready to pick up a S40, when I went to the dealer to pick one, the Sport Edition had arrived. Fell in love immediately.

Bough mine at the end of January and now have 8500 flawless miles. A joy to drive, comfortable (even for a 6'3" guy like myself). Have to take it in for an oil change at the dealer (Did the first one myself at 4000 miles). Get compliments everywhere I go and has plenty of Horsepower. (97 octane is currently $1.30 here in Florida)

Just got notice of a recall (replace a diode on the fan... big deal !).

Glad I made this choice
  • s40girls40girl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Rob for sharing your experience. The more I think about it, the more I want to go back to the dealer and rip up the papers! For a 30K plus car, I'm disappointed to hear it has so many problems. I'm beginning to feel that the problems don't just affect specific cars, but the entire model.

Well, a few more weeks and I go to pick it up. I'll let you know if I'm enjoying the ride or kicking myself everyday.
    Margaret,
    I was told by the dealer's service dept. that there is no such thing as warranty on brakes because it's a "wear & tear" item. I have, however, read on other forums that some people have been sucesfull in having Volvo pay for at least part of the repair cost. I have an appointment this Friday so... we'll see.
    As far as a loaner goes, I do get one from my local dealer, although it usually takes up to a week's notice. Another dealer closer to Toronto will charge $10/day for a car but also has a free shuttle to and from the subway (which I prefer anyway).
  • pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    I saw both the S40 and V40 at the local Volvo dealer recently. My first impressions were that these two are some of the nicest cars I've come across in this category. However reading the posts here makes turns me right off the idea of getting one. The NHTSA complaints database has quite a few service bulletins, but not that many consumer complaints -- that could also be because so few of them are sold in North America.

Would you think that by the 2002 MY these issues would be worked out? My understanding is that this car has been around since 96 in Europe and I'm surprised to see that there are still so many issues.

Would you estimate that the V40 would have the same reliability problems as well?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Considering the S40 and V40 are the same car except for the body shell, I would say yes. Of course, you all know that buying any car is like gambling, no matter what kind you get. Some have the promse of better reliability, but no one can be sure. Anyone can get a lemon.
  • slovoslovo Member Posts: 1
    Boy, I thought I was the only one having problems with my 2000 S40 until my sister shared this web site with me. I was informed by the dealer that I was one of the first in California to purchase the car when it became available in September 1999. I thought I had done my homework. After all, the car had been in Europe since 1995 and I could not find any reports of problems with the vehicle there. I actually had my heart set on the Lexus ES300 but where I live the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. So, I test drove the Maxima, A6, Toyota Avalon, and G20 before settling on the "Cute" S40.

Almost immediately I began having problems with the car. It went back to the dealer within days because of flaws and spider cracks in the windshield. I noticed tiny blue paint spots all over the white paint the first time I washed it (but the dealer refused to do anything about it.) Headlights have been replaced numerous times. Front right headlight sucks water in when it rains (dealer won't fix because they can not duplicate even though you can see the watermarks on the inside of the light.) I've experienced 2 "campaigns" (recalls) for a defective oil filler grate and driver side seat dampers. Rear sway bar replaced. Hard starts/grinding noises coming from engine when started. Plastic wheel inserts falling off. Rattles and squeaks from roof liner, dash board and rear seat on passenger side. Faulty gas gauge that has never been accurate. Drivers window makes grinding noise. Rear brake pads were replaced after only 26K. At 33K front and rear brakes had 50% remaining which seemed unusual wear especially since I live in a fairly rural area and my driving is mostly highway. However most intriguing and scary is the car was in the shop for more problems (new and recurring) at 40K miles (yes, I do a lot of driving) and my front brakes miraculously had 90% remaining and rear 80%. At 45K front brakes 30% and rear 60%. Now how does that happened?? Dealer is "looking" into this but I no longer trust their opinion or the car. The only thing that tickles my funny bone at this point is the Bag o'Parts I carry in the car to collect items that have fallen off. Unfortunately the dealer and Volvo N.A. find nothing amusing about this and can never seem to find where the parts are coming from to replace them. Nevertheless, each time the car is taken in the Bag o'Parts is delivered with what ever items have fallen off that week.

Needless to say I am very DISAPPOINTED with this vehicle and would caution anyone interested in purchasing an S40 to seriously think twice about their decision. Since discovering this page and reading the numerous service bulletins at www.nhtsa.dot.gov I am convinced that Volvo's quality and workmanship have taken a turn for the worse. By the way don't be fooled into thinking the 2001 or 2002 models are/will be any better. The word I hear is that they are not.

I hope to trade my little piece of work in on the Lexus AS 300 I originally had my eye on. My greatest fear is that they won't take it or I will take it in the shorts. Regardless, I will spend the money and it will be a pleasure to drive the 2 hours for service. At least they are friendly, open on Saturdays, will provide a loaner car for as long as needed, and will even let you pick up your serviced car on Sundays. He, real customer service... what a great concept. Had I known the past 22 months owning this car would have been this frustrating and time consuming I would not have sold my reliable, trouble-free '89 Honda Accord LXi with 230,000 miles on it. If anyone is curious the couple who bought my Honda still have it and have not had a single problem. In fact--they love it! Boy, did I make a HUGE mistake!
  • maggienmaggien Member Posts: 6
    I picked up my new Volvo S40 on Monday and was not as excited as I would have been if I hadn't read the posts. Immediately noticed a big black stain on the beige cloth on the drivers's seat. I had uncovered the seat myself when I looked at it and it wasn't there before. They had installed the 10 CD changer, however. Promised to fix it when I gave them the car to install the LoJack and sunroof.
    Just got it back after driving a S80 loaner for a week. The stain hadn't been completely taken off and I had to watch them do it again. Also there was a tiny scratch on the side, they left the car messy from installing the sunroof, forgot to put back the clip for my sunvisor and there is a vibration in the roof when I drive with the sunroof open. Is this normal? I've never had a car with a sunroof but I've driven with friends and don't remember a big vibration noise. I did have to added after-market but I basically can't stand the noise it makes above 30m. Anyone with a sunroof have this problem? Makes the sunroof pretty useless. Also, idle doesn't seem stable - rpm doesn't really change but the engine sounds different. Took me 10 mintes to defrost the back so I sat and listened to the engine. Never really settled down. Any recommendations?
  • ml430s40ml430s40 Member Posts: 14
    I have had my S40 for 5 weeks now. I have had no problems with my sunroof except for a little wind noise with the sunshade pulled back. When closed, it is pretty quiet, even at highway speeds.

The only problems I have had was a slight pull to the right and some interior rattling. The dealer performed a frontend alignment under warranty. As for the rattle, I found that the right storage tray vibrates, especially when I turn up the volume on the stereo. I took the interior panel off the door and sprayed some dry type lubricant on the seams and it is very quiet now.

My only complaint with the car is the amount of torque steer is has. I'm not accustomed to it but have heard it is normal.

I like the car for it's power, handling, safety, and sports car feel. The other cars in the class are good too - Acura TL and Audi A4. Only time will tell, but having fun.
  • wrossiewrossie Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 S40, with 14,500 miles on it. The other day I started hearing a LOUD shreaking type of noise coming from the rear driverside. I brought the car into the dealer for service and they told me that my rear brake pads were completely gone and that hot spots were on the rotors and they would need to be replaced. They would cover the rotor cost, but I would have to pay $170 to replace the pads. Has anyone had any luck with getting the total cost paid for? How quickly do the second set of pads need to be replaced? Or are they lasting longer?
  • wrossiewrossie Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 S40 and my check engine light has come on twice within 15,000 miles. Each time I take it in for service, they have to replace a valve or two within the emmissions system. Sounds like a reoccuring problem - has anyone had any luck with this eventually stopping?
  • geedawggeedawg Member Posts: 3
    2001 S40, 3,300 miles, no problems.
    - Sunroof quiet.
    - Car pretty quiet in general. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler so that's a relative statement.
    - No "check engine" or any other lights flashing.
    - It's spirited for a four cylinder. Feels peppier htan my 97 Honda Accord EX V6 which I think was 170 hp but heavier.
    -Good seats
    - I think it is very stylish.
    - The stereo (HU-615) does sound pretty good.

Overall I like it. It is fairly utilitarian in trim for a "luxury sedan" and could use a few features and refinements IMHO.

- Cupholders (sorry non-americans). Come on. One cupholder up front in the middle of the HVAC and stereo controls? Not good thinking.
    - Memory seats/mirrors for more than one passenger
    - A compass. The "Info Center" has many good stats available but no compass. Seems odd.
    - Quiet down the door locks. Sounds like you're closing the shuttle door when you lock them.
    - The upgraded stereo (HU-615) has some wierd logic. With CDs, no track time is displayed when CD playing, although if you rewind or fast forward the time is displayed. No random shuffle. No repeat track. The price for it the "upgrade" is outrageous.
    - The price for the 10 disk CD change is REALLY outrageous. A joke.

Happy Driving

(Wish we had the T5 in the USA)
  • dianeb773dianeb773 Member Posts: 19
    Before I traded my 2000 S40 in for my Audi, I had replaced my rear brake pads and rotors at 14,600 miles. Volvo covered the rotors. The service manager told me to come back in another 5000 miles to have the front pads checked. At 4000 miles, the car was in for an oil change and an annoying rear squeak (that they never did solve) and I was told that the front pads were down to almost nothing. So, at 18,600 the front pads were replaced at my expense. This seems to be a common problem on Volvos. Too much money to be spending on a newer car in my book. That's why I now drive an Audi with all maintenance covered for 4/yrs-50,000 miles. And that even includes oil changes.
  • rpcohenrpcohen Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Volvo V40 and it has been in the shop going on 7 times for the check engine light and now the dealer has had the vehicle for 5 days and still can not figure out why or what is going on. We have been told that 5 of the items out of 100 parts have been replaced, so I'm wonder if we need to have everything that is routed to the check engine light relay replaced. Even Volvo has no idea what to do. Any ideas.
  • minilinkminilink Member Posts: 13
    Hi, Well the balance here tilts towards more S40 disappointed people than actually those loving it... I just can't digest is it Volvo we are talking about? I am looking to buy a car soon.. and S40 was/is certainly on my mind.. Please Help! Can I get any other "luxury" car for the same price? Also looked at G20 Infiniti, but guess they are enjoying their last year, so i wont spoil their party... G35 thats next year... si let me know of your opinions... ciao
    Well. it does sound like the Phase I version of the S40 was not the greatest of autos. The Phase II (2001) seems to be much better. I'm satisfied with mine to date (3,500 miles).

I'm sure you realize most people on forums like these are more likely to complain than praise their autos. Nobody comes onto a forum and says "hey, my heater's working great!"

I would recommend the S40 thus far.

FYI: A large delivery truck slammed into the right rear area of my S40 a couple days ago. The S40 felt very solid on impact. No injuries but car is out two weeks. Bummer.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I speak as a 19 yr Volvo owner who is not happy with the recent reliability issues they are having. The S-40 is NOT a luxury car - at best it's a low end "near luxury" car. For the money an Audi A4 1.8T is a much better choice. Unless you're willing to spend more to get the S60, I would look elsewhere.
  • sachinosachino Member Posts: 7
    Geedawg: I think you are mistaken when you say that most people are more likely to complain than praise. You need to check out the A4 forum. There are a lot more people praising than complaining.
  • stevem327stevem327 Member Posts: 98
    That so many people are having problems with the S40. I had always heard that Volvos were known for their reliability. I was considering an S40, but after reading all of the complaints here, I'm having major second thoughts. And I have to agree that it sounds like a consistent theme of recurring problems with the car, rather than just one or two lemons out of the whole bunch. That's a shame. A neighbor of mine has a 160 or 190 Volvo that has almost 300,000 miles on it...drives it every day.

I'll be fair and reserve final judgement until I see the 2002 or even 2003 models. The 2003 is supposed to share the same platform as the Ford Focus, though, so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. See www.swedespeed.com or www.volvospy.com for more info. The S60 seems like a nice alternative, but it's obviously more expensive.

I hope all of the S40 owners out there having problems are getting their situations dealt with fairly. Hang in there!
  • tboneytboney Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 S40 and have replaced front pads twice and rear just recently (25000miles). Dealer said they were surprised the rear pads made it this long. I was shocked. Most cars, almost all cars you only have the rear pads replaced once, maybe twice in the lifetime of the car. At least no sooner than 60-70000 miles. What is going on? I thought I had a good safe car. I have it at the dealer every month or more. Any comments?
  • stevem327stevem327 Member Posts: 98
    I've heard that Volvo uses softer brake pads than some companies. The benefit of a softer pad is that it gives you better braking ability and braking grip. But the downside is that the softer pads wear out much faster than harder ones.

I believe that the pads on the 2001 S40's were designed to be a little harder than the ones found on the 2000 S40's, so they're supposed to last a little longer, too.

If you read through this whole thread from the first message forward, I believe there's some other info on the brake pad issue. Good luck.
    Sachino: Maybe your right but my unscientific experience in newsgroups tells me otherwise. While there is a certainly information sharing that goes on, the majority of the posts are about problems.

P.S. I'm glad people are happy with their A4s. I'm happy with my S40.
  • henryrobinhenryrobin Member Posts: 1
    I recently traded in my 2000 S40 after 11 visits to the shop. Check engine light 8 times...no explanation. New cars should be somewhat stress free. Vovlo's corporate offices were unresponsive. Depreciation was outrageous.
  • bblockie1bblockie1 Member Posts: 1
    Have 21,000 on my S40 and have been mostly pleased with performance. However, after reading about so many problems I am a little nervous. Yes I did have rear break pad replacement and complained. But wasn't as upset as some because on a 740 wagon I had for 10 years I had similar wearout. They told me at the service center that Volvo was addressing the break pad problem with longer wearing ones soon!! Also had the headlights replaced already. But my anoying problem is a high pitched noise when traveling fast on freeways usually going in a N to S or S to N direction. Even taped it - coming from the drivers side I think.By the way I'm an "older lady" and everyone thinks I'm cool in my S40!!
  • boxer6boxer6 Member Posts: 20
    I own an s70 and it sounds like the problems with Volvo's are consistant. Nothing but complaints on their boards (Except the s60...so far). The sad thing is the Edmunds boards are not complaint boards in general so when the volvo boards are primarily compliants that should tell you something. Can anyone spell C-L-A-S-S
    A-C-T-I-O-N? Any lawyers out there want to take the case. I would say us abused volvo owners are collectively due millions!! I can write a five page letter with my complaints.
  • ameliassameliass Member Posts: 1
    ***EVEN THOUGH THIS POSTING MAY BE LENGTHY, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT COMPLETELY***

I purchased a new S40 in October 1999. My S40 proved to be a nightmare on wheels. So what could be so bad about the S40? Let me tell you my experience....

-Total BRAKE FAILURE at 6K: Aside from being extremely scary for me, I thought Volvo was known for their safety! Wrong again! (It is important to note I had brake problems upon delivery and had the car in twice for brake service prior to the failure. Not until after I had brake failure could they fully diagnose and service the problem.)
    -Stalling: The car would stall on me whenever I stopped at red lights, stop lights, etc.
    -Starting: The car would not start on most first attempts.
    -Turn signals: They stopped working.
    -A/C: It stopped working.
    -Driver's side window: It made a loud popping noise every time I opened and closed it.
    -Blue spots on exterior paint (very noticeable since my car was white)
    -Paint runs in the door jams
    -Cuts in the exterior paint
    -Defects in the fabric
    -Rattles from the dash, the headliner, doors, seatbelt mount, etc.
    -Numerous headlight bulb replacments
    -New brake pads at 25K
    -Small surface rust spots after 2 winters in the New England area

Needless to say, for my sanity (and safety), I decided to sell this car. After a month long battle with the dealership and Volvo Corporation without favorable results, I finally sold my car to another dealership. The depreciation was unbelievable; however, the thought of keeping the car was more unbeliveable so I took the depreciation hit and celebrated that evening with margaritas!

Unless you are prepared to accept the poor quality and craftsmanship of the S40, the headaches and frustration of dealing with Volvo Corporation, huge depeciation, and lots of your valuable time wasted waiting in a service department for your car (not to mention the big service bills after the warranty expires), do not buy this car. Personally, I would never (and that is a long time) buy another Volvo --- any model --- after my S40 nightmare. Please spread the word about Volvo!

P.S. I am happily driving a 1969 Camaro SS.
This discussion has been closed.