Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Dough,
    Do not be upset with the turning radius. It's just as good (or bad, whatever your general perception of life is) as any modern leading brands of the same size.

See my posting ##1820 on S60 board.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    39 is pretty large. The s40 is 35, which is significantly better. It sounds like a trifle, i know, but my car having small turning circle is something i'm glad of fairly often.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Check out the October issue of Car & Driver - there is a comparo that puts the S40 T5 2nd, right behind the Acura TSX. The Audi A4 1.8T was a distant 4th. The TSX has a 40 foot turning circle, which is absurd for a car in this class. I've driven the TSX, and I just test drove an S40 T5 with the six-speed yesterday... I'm in love. I think I'm going to have to order an S40.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    & I hate the S40 w/ sport suspension even more. So that S40 T-5 deserve to be ranked behind the TSX in that test.

But I do love the S40 w/o sport suspension. It just need to include the charcoal filter for American-spec cars. As the AWD V50 tests all proved to you that the comfy non-sport suspension equipped w/ the optional 17"s still handles great.

The 5-cyl's turbo lag is worse than Subaru's 4-cyl turbo, though, per C&D.
    I read that test-and to be honest, it seemed specious to me to place the TSX first. It was entirely based on subjective areas such as "fun" and "looks." Persoanlly, i think the TSX looks rather bland, but, oh well. What the test says has no real impact on me.

I really like the a4, but i agree that it's quite underpowered compared to what's available now.

I am surprised the TSX rated so highly for its ride comfort, as i've never been too impressed by acuras in this area. But people have diferent ideas of what ride comort is.

I didn't realize there was no charcoal filter. I wonder why not?

I'm pretty interested in the s40 but not looking to buy exactly now.

dave
    No car in that test rides well, not even the Audi. Audi's engine layout is a faulty design, & even the engine location of the next model probably only shifts slightly backward due to a more compact transmission. So either the ride or the handling has to be sacrificed.

The TSX is a thoroughly competent car due do a suspension with longer travel than the Mazda6 but tauter, which means it'll almost never run out of travel even when cornering hard over bumps. As far as the steering being not communicative, you're hot date in the passenger seat won't know when you impress her going through challenging roads.

"I didn't realize there was no charcoal filter. I wonder why not?"

I believe Americans don't carpool much, & hence most of the time don't need anything larger than an S40. So in order to sell the other Volvo's, they might as well ruin the S40 here by making it the only model not available w/ the auto-recirculate charcoal filter.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    IAQS and the filter are 2 different things.
    The S40 has a filter, it lacks the IAQS.
    IAQS is a monitoring system that will put the car into recirculate mode if the sensor detects carbon monoxide or other unpleasant gases entering the cabin in sufficent quantity to do harm.
    This is different from the filter that was designed to remove dust, pollen and smoke from the air entering the cabin.
    "I believe Americans don't carpool much, & hence most of the time don't need anything larger than an S40. So in order to sell the other Volvo's, they might as well ruin the S40"

So, americans don't like big vehicles, and are adamant about charcoal filters?
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Lev, the subject of the S60's turning circle has been lively. I have made numerous comments about it in the S60 forum. The basic issue that gives me grief is that I have a Yukon Denali with a 116 inch wheelbase and it can do a 38 foot curb-to-curb turning circle. That extra 1 foot is the difference between a three-point (sometimes more) turn in a parking lot. The S60s turning circle has been an issue for me since I traded an 850 Turbo (with if memory serves, a 34 foot turning circle) for the S60. When the second gen S40 was at the dealer, I took the demo out for a long drive - parking lot turns, twisty roads, etc. To net out the experience, if an AWD version of the S40 had been available, I would have bought it on the spot. Now, I have an S40 AWD on order. My only gripe with the S60 has been the turning circle; when the S60R came out with a 42 foot turning circle, there was no way that I as going to get it.
    Not having the IAQS in the 2005 S40 is a disapointment. I also would have liked the In Car Entertainment system to have had a provision for an Aux-in capability so that I could connect either an XM satellite receiver or an iPod to the unit.
    The narrow rear visibility of the newer Volvo's is even more annoying than the turning circle, 'cause you need that visibility all the time for lane change & 2-lane-hwy passing, & hence SAFETY as well. Losing a chance to change lane or passing can be lethal. Volvo people aren't top experts when comes to accident prevention.

These broad shoulders make the car look tough for side protection & also remind you of the good old 200-series from Volvo's glory days. But unlike the good'o 200-series, these newer Volvo's modern tapered rear width ruins the wide rear view thru your inside rear view mirrors. & that's also why I can't stand any wagon or hatch except the exceptionally designed '92-95 Civic 3-dr.

Volvo concept car's see-thru A-pillar is a great idea for accident prevention. But Volvo's blind-spot alarm isn't really necessary. That warning system does not tell you the whole picture of the size or movement of the obstacle. The driver-side mirror of a foreign-spec car these days has the outer edge curve outward to cover the blind spot completely!
    “"I believe Americans don't carpool much, & hence most of the time don't need anything larger than an S40. So in order to sell the other Volvo's, they might as well ruin the S40"

So, americans don't like big vehicles, and are adamant about charcoal filters?”

I should have said "big sedans", 'cause Americans love Hummers.

My guess is that Volvo realized they have to ruin the S40 by the time they introduced the car in America 'cause the S60 has no advantage over the the S40 -- room? safety? price? ride? steering? style? parking ease? etc.

Or maybe foreign countries are too crowded that about the only Volvo people are willing to buy is the small-exterior S40, so Volvo better include the charcoal filter to attract all the buyers they can.
    "This is different from the filter that was designed to remove dust, pollen and smoke from the air entering the cabin."

The pollen filter, which is also found in the Civic/Accord/TSX/CRV, filters out solid particles including the smelly diesel soot. It is most likely done by an electrostatic ionizer.

Gaseous smell needs charcoal to absorb away. Mercedes has a charcoal switch w/ a timer, 'cause the charcoal life gets used up too soon if you keep it on all the time.

Volvo's customer service told me that if the recirculate button has both "M" & "A"(auto recirculate) on it, then it has a charcoal filter.

Here's why, according to BMW, as the CO & HC detector senses these pollutants, it will switch to recirculate mode automatically for up to several minutes, then the charcoal filter gets to turn on to suck out these pollutants already entered the car.
    I still don't buy it--the s60 does have an advantage--it has a significantly more upscale interior.

Volvo is trying to grab sales away from BMW, audi, etc. If it though the s40 would kill the s60, they'd either not ship the s40 here or withdraw the s60. No sense in shipping a crippled car here.

90% of buyers don't even know what a charcoal filter is.

The entire idea is nonsensical.

dave
    "I still don't buy it--the s60 does have an advantage--it has a significantly more upscale interior."

One big reason I recommended most people the S40 T5 over the S60 & even the 325i is the throne-like driving position. It makes you feel like a king when you can relax your left elbow resting on the high door armrest even when you sit high. & at the same time your left hand is holding a 9-o'clock steering wheel spoke w/ turn signal stalk w/in the reach of your index finger & the cruise buttons just a thumb away. So your right hand doesn't have to touch the steering wheel 100% of the time, which means you can either leave it on the shifter while operating the stereo/HVAC the same time, or simply just busy working on your hot date! ;-)

I do hate the American-spec S40's manual/cloth seat's lack of adjustment features on the passenger side. Can't impress your hot date with it!

"90% of buyers don't even know what a charcoal filter is."

Charcoal filter used to be a $1000(or $500) option on the Mercedes S-class. The non-turbo S40 is already almost $5000 more expensive than a similarly equipped TSX & hence belongs to the premium compact class.
    Volvo Customer service was incorrect(big surprise)
    They were probably confused about the IAQS system.
    The giveaway on the IAQS is the M and A buttons on the recirc switch.

Honestly, most of our consumers don't know what IAQS is or could almost care less about it.
    The fact that its not offered on the S40 hasn't cost us any sales that I'm aware of.
    Heck, we don't outfit the S40's w/ half of whats available just due to price concerns.
    But for those that do know what IAQS is, it is a disappointment that it is not at least offered as an option. The non-availability of IAQS did not cause me to not place my order; I just wish it was available as an option, because I would have ordered it.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Does anyone have this option on their car? I'm curious how much it cuts noise levels, if at all. As a fairly inexpensive stand alone option, I'm thinking it might be worth getting.
    I have this option on my S60 AWD and there is a noticable quieting of outside noise. From a qualitative perspective, the noise that a motorcycle at throttle makes is reduced from not being able to have a cellular telephone conversation to being able to have the conversation. The laminated side glass does not eliminate the sound; but it does cut the sound intrusion.

I have included the option on the S40 AWD that I have on order.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    After much consideration, we will be leasing an S60 rather than the S40. Reason is the great deals going on the last 2004 models.

For $10 more per month, this is what we get on the S60 2.5T with premium and sport packages compared to a S40 2.4 with climate and premium package.

Low pressure turbo engine
    Automatic transmission
    17" wheels
    Sun roof
    Fog lights
    Bi xénon headlamps
    Speed sensitive steering
    Trip computer
    Wood trim
    Air outlets to rear passengers in B pillars
    Power passenger seat
    Auto dimming rear view mirror
    Homelink

We prefer the outside look of the S40 but prefer the interior of the S60. Since we will be inside the car and not looking at it from outside, the choice was easy.
    You missed the rear headrests that fold down on the S60. Does the Premium or Climate package include the IAQS (feature where the ventillation system monitors the incoming air for the presence of chemicals (most likely hydrocarbon atoms) and if present, the airflow is switched to internal re-circulation)? IAQS is not available for S40 for MY2005, but is an option on the S60. (And probably the S80 and XC90; don't know about the V/XC 70 series.) Hope you can live with the bloated turning circle; presumably you test drove an S60 before taking the plunge. Don't get me wrong, my only gripe about the S60 is the turning circle. If the S60 had the S40s turning circle, I wouldn't even consider an S40; however it doesn't (have the smaller turning circle) and so I am (considering the S40 - in fact I have placed an order for an S40 AWD).
    Thank you for pointing out about the headrests and the IAQS, yes I got it too.

I have an XC90 and previously owned 2 S70 (a T and a T5) an 850 and a 740 turbo, so I am not too concerned about the turning radius.

The S40 sure looks good tough.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Edmunds reports...14.3 cf
    Volvo brochure....12.6 cf

Which is correct?
    if I remember well, the canadian brochure mentions 14 or 14.1 CF.
  • mmwilsonmmwilson Member Posts: 2
    How did you reset the service light, I have a S40 and have been unsuccessful in getting the light to go out. I have taken the car to 2 shops (not the dealer) and they have been unable to reset. I have tried the 2 and 3 position and hold down the trip button but it does not turn the light off. I'm anxious as the car is leased and soon to be turned in (can't wait for that day).

Thanks.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Creakid: { Or any other forumite who would care to reply} Your ratings...taking into consideration: performance, price, features, & fun-to-drive of three cars.

S40 2.4
             S40 T5
           Mazda3 2.3
                           Thanks
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    I've driven all 3 and will give my opinion if you care to hear it.

1. S40 T5 with base suspension (sport package gives much stiffer ride with minimal gain in handling)
    2. Mazda3 2.3 (simply has a smoother, more refined engine and significantly less expensive than base S40)
    3. S40 2.4 (when 20k Mazdas and Honda Accords have equal or better acceleration and definitely better NVH characteristics, there is a problem here. Volvo has some work to do on the base engine, especially when the 2.5T is much more powerful and refined for only a couple grand more. The turbo also has no fuel economy penalty due to taller overall gearing)
  • tranmitranmi Member Posts: 12
    Test drove all three cars:

-S40 2.4: nice but slow and loud engine noise.
    -Mazda3 2.3: cheap fun car, but the ride and again cheap material...
    -S40 T5 with regular suspension: nice, fast and reasonable price.

I bought the 2005 S40 T5 auto and still happy with it.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    regardless of your seat of the pants feelings...cars are always at least partly an emotional relationship.

when looking at the 3 (S40, S40T, Mazda 3) it would be hard not to see the value in the Mazda, using 42% of the same basic components and what is a proven engine and tranny. Maintenance should be less expensive as well, although insurance will be higher, so this may offset.

That said, Volvo has a broader sense of "appeal" to more people for more things. I know this is not a popular way to bring in a discussion about merits of a vehicle...but I think the Volvo wins in class and market appeal. You won't be driving a car considered by many to be another "civic" in mazda clothing. Volvos have a certain upscale nature, it is that tried and true European heritage. They also are known for safety...and my guess is that at least some of the extra money for the Volvo has gone to better safety engineering.

YMMV - but I would rather own the S40 than the Mazda 3, unless the difference were so great as to make the decision foolish.

I still recall when I bought my used BMW 318ti - it was nothing special, a 6-year old stripper with low miles and steel wheels. I couldn't qualify at the time for a new loan on a VW Jetta, so I bought a used car that I could get qualified for...

Long story short, my co-worker bought a new Jetta (very much like the one I wanted) within a week of me getting my BMW. The upper management made almost daily comments to me about my car, "nice ride" "looking good" "like that little beemer" etc - none of them even noticed that he had bought a new car...

It was an eye opener about how people think. It was even more obvious when I left that job and started working in non profits...suddenly my BMW was a liability. I was "making too much money" and "shoving my wealth" in our clients faces...funny, the car was worth about $7k at the time, was 8 years old and still had steel wheels, a bad AC unit, and cloth seats...go figure.

I think that is extreme, but the Volvo has just enough "appeal" without the snobby black mark that a BMW might carry...Mazda has none of that...it is just another appliance, like a Sony TV or a Maytag washer...

Don't get me wrong, this is no way to buy a car...purely for the secondary benefits...but when the cars are close, and one has the better heritage and appeal...I know which one I tend to choose.

Maybe that makes me a snob...but then, I also like European cars...have since I was 5 when I used to dream about Porsches and Mercedes Benz...
    VW Rabbit (4spd)
    Saab 900 S (5spd)
    Infinit G20 (5spd)
    Honda Civic HX (CVT)
    BMW 318ti (5spd)
    Hyundai Elantra GT (5spd)

...just to stop any bashing before it begins. :)
    Nice posting, Michael. I could sense an European (maybe Russian) heritage in you. Am I off base?

I think along exactly the same lines, and currently own 3 Volvo in my family.
    "think that is extreme, but the Volvo has just enough "appeal" without the snobby black mark that a BMW might carry...Mazda has none of that...it is just another appliance, like a Sony TV or a Maytag washer..."

Mazda is no average Japanese car like Toyota/Nissan. It's a sign of un-nerdy-ness. Take a look at the RX-8 auto -- smooth riding while handles like a sports car.

Volvo is a sign of dorky-ness, or for people who can't drive & will crash anyway. Or to impress your future mother in-law, etc.

After my folks got the '86 top-of-the-line Volvo -- the 760 turbo, I've been hating Volvo ever since. But I still love the new S40 T5, especially after I sat in its driver seat again yesterday after comparing to the Japanese-design Lexus IS300, which is horribly awkward to fit my slim 5"11" frame comfortably despite sufficient room in every dimension. While the new S40, even the base model w/ manual seat & lumbar support, allows me to stretch out freely. If I'm rich enough to not accept any compromise, then there's no way I can stand the 3-series' or IS300's driver-seat comfort or driving position, & will only take the C-class' & the S40's.
    Post #895 pretty much summarized it all:
    carman123 Sep 21, 2004 9:43am

Therefore, there's no point getting the S40 2.4i w/ sport suspension over the Mazda3 2.3. Besides the driving position, you're probably not gonna feel much difference b/t the 2 unless you crash the car real badly.

Mazda3's reliable except the weak heater, which Ford admitted it was intentional, & the early-production cars' weak A/C, which might be cured by now. The Volvo isn't necessarily safer if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
    Peter,
    You just forget the age factor. I do not have to impress my mother-in-law any more. It's quite opposite - she wants to be on my good side :-)

The criteria of dorky/cool-ness is quite different at 20 and 40.

Also, it's a matter of demographics too. Somehow, my teenager daughters think that the new S40 is way too cool than any Mazda, including RX-8, given - they do not street race either...
  • mmwilsonmmwilson Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to turn off the Service light? I have seen the postings and putting the car in the position I and position II and holding down the trip button but I have not had any success. I have taken the car in (had all 4 tires replaced) and they tried but did not have the correct sequence. Any suggestions/help. I have a leased car and will be turning in shortly and do not want to get dinged for it.
    "...especially when the 2.5T is much more powerful and refined for only a couple grand more. The turbo also has no fuel economy penalty due to taller overall gearing)"

The "stripped" T5 already got so much more std features. Moonroof, leather & metallic paint are the only things missing compare to a similarly priced 2.4i premium. Besides, the T-5 manual is a 6-sp rather than the 2.4i manual's 5-sp. Acura TSX charges the 6-sp manual the same price as the 5-sp auto!

Oh, the T5 also has the unique trunk 12V socket not found in the 2.4i, plus the the fog lights are std.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    I am giving the 6 speed AWD T5 serious consideration, but I am still waiting for my dealer to get one for test drive. They have eight S40's in stock, and they are all automatic.
    Does anyone know what the ratio of manual to automatic is?
    To further my comment of the T5 only being a couple grand more, consider that BMW, Audi, and Mercedes charge about 6 grand to upgrade to the more powerful engines in their lineup. At about 2k, the T5 is a relative bargain over the base S40 considering all that you do get.
    but I doubt the AWD system used has true advantage in driving fun over the FWD. You want a comfy-riding car w/ a fun AWD system? Try the luxury $48k new Acura RL w/ a solid V6. Auto only, though.

Like the original 760 back in '83, the FWD S40 T5's 16" 7-spoke Caligo alloys are truely ugly, just like those horse-carriage wooden wheels. What are these Scandinavians thinking?
    In product planning, most markets settled on a 90% auto, 10% manual ratio.

Personally, I think thats too many manuals since Volvo only sells @ 2-5% manuals as it is.
    i think you move in different circles than I do...

Yes, the Volvo might have a bit of Nerdy taint to it, conjuring images of college professors with corduroy jackets and leather patches on the sleeves - but the current models just don't fit that old image - no more than the old image of Mazda being the most boring and under-powered maker of the Japanese manufacturers (in the hey-day of the 323/626/929 etc...

Mazda just doesn't have any snob appeal. I would call it the anti-snob. It has nothing to do with whether the cars are nice or not...just what images are brought to mind when you see the insignia. Call it marketing or whatever...but in a time when every tough guy is rushing out to buy the biggest baddest SUV they can afford - image still makes a difference.

For me, I feel a certain comfort factor in European cars that I don't get in Japanese cars. It may be a character flaw in me, but I find most Japanese vehicles to be rather boring...with the current models slowly changing all that for the better. (Even a few US cars are starting to impress me - which takes alot, given my personal objections to US cars)

That all said, the Mazda 3 is a nice looking car - but no one will mistake you for driving a luxury car. The Volvo S40 - well, it is different. You ARE driving a car from a luxury maker...like the difference between Acura and Honda, or Lexus and Toyota...

Mazda doesn't build $50k cars in our market.

Like I said before, it is a silly way to buy a car - but when the choices are so close...you have to weigh in ALL factors.

I know I would much rather have a Jetta than my Elantra GT - but I wasn't going to spend another $6k to do it...and I wanted that warranty.

As it is, I like the Elantra GT very much, like most Hyundais, the styling is derivative of european cars - in this case, the GT hatch is a near dead-ringer of the older Saab 9-3 hatches.

Now that my situation has changed some - I am considering an upgrade...Volvo is among the possible choices. I am mostly hanging out to see if new owners start running into problems with their cars...like the previos generation's issues with burning through brake pads every 10k miles, etc.

So far, so good...
    I am a mix - something like 4th generation mutt...

But my mothers side is a bit less mixed...mostly German, Czech and Irish.

My father's side...take your pick, but the family name is old English - complete with crest, in fact someone with our family name signed the Declaration of Independence (no direct relation to me) - but no presidents yet. :)
    Since the sport suspension available for the FWD model is just too firm for comfort, not unlike the Mazda3 which even got firmer bushings to increase minor ride harshness as well as steering-feel details, the only S40/V50 worth considering is the ones w/o the sport suspension.

I've been saying using 325i sedan w/o the lowered sport suspension & the C-class w/ the new lowered sport suspension as direct comparison.

I just test drove the newly tuned '05 C320 Sport sedan to run thru the speed bumps, both w/o slowing down & even brake over them. It wasn't comfortable like the longer-spring non-sport C-class sedans.

So I immediately took an S40 T5 w/ regular suspension over the same speed bumps. The front suspension banged so badly when I braked over the bumps. & even w/o braking, the front springs still ran out of travel! So the front springs are too short compare to the Accord, TSX, & the BMW/Benz.

What can I do? The S40 Sport & Mazda3 are too firm for comfort, & the S40 non-sport is too wimpy for deep bumps. I guess I'll move abroad & p/u a Focus II, which is likely to have the suspension-firmness tuned half way b/t the sport S40 & non-sport S40.

The '05 C-class sport's newly-tuned & quick steering still feels quite insulated & thus no fun despite high level of roll-free handling. So you might as well just get the comfy-riding long-spring AWD 325xi & enjoy an even better steering feel than the 2WD 3-series'.

Like the upcoming BMW 1-series & 3-series, foreign-market Mazda3 & Focus II equipped w/ smaller engines did not switch away from the traditional meaty-feeling pure-hydraulic power steering, unlike so many new cars these days.

Besides, even w/ just the electro-hydraulic power steering, the Focus II beats the BMW 1-series in overall rating:

"TWO WEEKS ago we put the new Ford Focus through a comparison test and it came out at the top of the pile (Autocar, 14 September). The fact that the pile included the VW Golf, Vauxhall Astra and BMW 116i tells you how broad its talents are."

So if I can get the reliable "German-built Focus II" version of the S40 & choose the hydraulic steering, then I'll be getting a damn fine car. Besides, like the C-class sedan, it doesn't seem to have the annoying & dangerous-for-passing/lane-change narrow rear visibility found in the S40 & Mazda3.
    Well, i'm going to test a s40t5 with manual tranny this weekend. I hope i like it, because if i don't, i'll end up with a BMW again and the volvo would save me some $$$. I attended a driving event last weekend and got to drive a lot of cars, and i liked the BMW's far and away the best, although there were unfortunately no volvos there. Distant second was the 9-3 and and c-class.

If i do go for the volvo, it'll probably be an AWD t5, manual tranny, select package, xenons, and i'd get it via euro delivery. If i get a BMW i'd wait for the new valvetronic engines and euro-deliver that as well.

Questions: does the FWD sport package feel like the AWD car, which i understand has "sport" by default? Can i negotiate off the euro delivery price? What sort of fuel economy have people really been getting?

dave
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I have been a long time Honda/Acura and Mazda enthusiast but however this new S40 caught my eye. It looks like a beautiful car. I have a few questions though. I have seen the S40 offers a 2.4 liter 5 cylinder engine making 168 horsepoer. A base Mazda 6 makes 160 horsepower already. The Honda Accord makes 160 horsepower. What bugs me is the 24K price tag for the Volvo and the reliability is also not up to the level of the Japanese. I realize Volvo makes up for some of the value with their world class leading safety. What expreiences have people on this board had with Volvo's? Have they been good experiences and would you buy one again? I would like to hear from people any age who have switched from a Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infinti, or Mazda product who now own a 2001+ Volvo S60 or own an all new 2004.5 or 05 Volvo S40 and what their experience has been. Is there any people from the 20-30 year old bracket that own an all new S40 on this board also? I;m 24 going on to 25 years old. Am I the only person inside the 20-30 years old age bracket that actually likes the new S40? I might look at this car in a couple years as a replacement for my Acura.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    " I realize Volvo makes up for some of the value with their world class leading safety"

Volvo still makes safe vehicles but their safety isn't heads and shoulders above the rest of the market like they used to be. The S40 does well in NHTSA's test but other mid-size sedans actually bests it in some measurements now.
    Was it the Saab 9-3 or 9-5 that took the top honor?

While the new TL & ES330 are ranked in the next category behind?

& the new S40 is ranked in another category further behind.

The only thing this little S40/V50 excels in crashes is the extra engine room that produces the least leg injury to the driver, & that's pretty important, IMO.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The Saab earned a Good and a Best Pick. The Accord, Camry, TL, etc, earned a Good rating but were not selected as a best pick, and the S40 earned an acceptable rating in side impact crash tests peformed by www.iihs.org
  • beaunedocbeaunedoc Member Posts: 15
    I'm 6 weeks into my lease on an AWD 6-speed so I can give you some distinct impressions that may be helpful. Milage has been as advertised on the sticker if you can drive the car conservatively. Fortunately or unfortunately, it is delightful to drive the car unconservatively. The feel of the car on road is very similar to my old S4, a car that I can't afford now at 50large. You feel the dips and undulations of the road surface. The car feels firm and connected and very solidly built. That was the feature that sold me on the test drive. It has a slightly increased ground clearance over the FWD car to accomodate the AWD system and a bit more understeer and body roll than the S4. It does feel a bit more like a FWD car in daily use than the Audi. That car always felt like a RWD car to me. The tranny is slick and sure, the seats are great. So far I have had a wide grin everytime I drive it. (knock wood) Do get the zenons; they're geat looking and provde great illumination. The trunk is too shallow; volume is adequate. That's my biggest complaint about the car.
    If carguy58 reads this message, I'm a fiftysomething you likes smaller, fun to drive cars that leave a few dollars for other fun pursuits. The sales brouchure was obviously directed towards your demographic group. I've owned Audis, VW's, a Porsche, a T-bird turbo coupe, a 280 Z and even a Reliant (my attempt to help bail out a failing Chrysler). What a boring car that was, a true toaster of a vehicle! Performance wise, the S40 does not disappoint.
    beaunedoc
    "You feel the dips and undulations of the road surface. The car feels firm and connected and very solidly built."

Your AWD got the optional sport suspension, or just the 17" wheels? I remember the V50 AWD is not available w/ sport suspension.
  • beaunedocbeaunedoc Member Posts: 15
    You are correct. The sport suspension is not available with AWD. As I understand it, the car has a slightly higher stance to accommodate the Halex AWD system. I do have the 17" wheels. beaunedoc
This discussion has been closed.