Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Just curious, if I don't need the stretched out rear of the A8, what is the difference between that and the top of the line A6 in terms of rear leg room, performance, amenities, driving experience etc.?

Thank you in advance for any input.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I let Unique Whips in LI take care of the limiter.

You mentioned that you'd like to get the car to 160. All W12 A8s will push 160 with limiter on, but that's it. The S8 got to 189 before the redline killed the engine power, and we're still talking about a 4000lbs car!

On the winter tires, I too wanted to stick with my 20's, but I got tired of looking and went to Audi and picked up a set of 18" A8 wheels w/ Pirelli snow shoes. As sure footed as these cars are without snow tires, you'd be amazed at how much it really takes to break the traction in these cars, even in our snow covered streets.
    You'd think that there wouldn't be much difference given the size of each car.

But the regular-length A8 is still 4" wider and about 8" longer than a A6. Thus, this provides more interior space and comfort over the A6, but the A6 is roomy enough, more so than a 5-Series.

As to performance, the A6 4.2 and A8 4.2 are matched in acceleration, but the A8 rides much better albeit due to higher weight and better road isolation and given the fact that is made mostly of aluminum. And the A8 outweighs it on amenities also.

Now that being said, the A6 is still an awesome ride. But the A6 4.2 can get pricey, in fact with few options, it nips at the heels of the almighty A8. But most people don't need the space of the A8, so they don't mind. But the A8 does drive smaller than it appears.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Okay, after all the fantastic advice you guys have given me...

We're not getting the A8.

We're not even getting a new car.

Instead, she has pushed me into buying a new house. We have a four-bedroom now, with only one kid left at home. She doesn't seem to care- she's getting a house that is a lot more spacious, to the tune of about 1000 sq ft.

Of course, we're excited.

But hopefully, the mortgage won't overwhelm my bank account, and I'll be able to buy her a new luxury sedan next year. Perhaps an S-Class is in the cards; she wants the prestige. But I'd always be happy with an A8.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    Since a home mortgage appears to be in the future ..... you may as well roll in an S8 for yourself and deduct the interest. Heck she still has a choice of the A3, S4 & the RX 330.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Probably one of the best decisions you both will ever make...These expensive cars are just that --expensive-- and truthfully you will enjoy your house many more hours a day....Don`t get me `wrong` I enjoy my Audi, but am aware each day I loose money, but am at the point in life that I can say `so what`....I envy you your new adventure....Tony
  • mgmishmgmish Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a used 2004 A8 - can anyone tell if they have added the above - and what was the level of "pain?"
    Haven't added it on my two Audi's as they came complete with it. But if you truly want it done professionally with factory matching exterior antenna and all, the dealership is the only way to go.
    See you're not getting the Audi right now. That's okay because by the time you get ready to buy again, the whole Audi model line will have moved on, with a new A8 coming '08 as an ealry '09 model.

This will also signify Audi's move to the new MLP platform to get rid of the nose heaviness associated with Audi cars right now.

Hope all goes well with the bigger house. I know all to well when what the "wife wants, the wife gets, OR ELSE!!" When we moved to L.I. from Maine, we found a nice quaint 4000 square ft. home with 5ba/4.5bths. Naturally it wasn't big enough, and remained that way until I bought my 12 acre estate to house a 6500 sq.ft. home and room enough for her diamonds and my vehicles. :)
  • mgmishmgmish Member Posts: 3
    thanks and I tend to agree - however I called my loacl dealer to assess the damage and they gave me a $600 price for the tuner which Sirus sells for $300. my issue is that i will have 2 screens which I think will look like hell.
  • hikerjimmyhikerjimmy Member Posts: 3
    With help from all of you in my research (much thanks), I just leased an 07 A8L. We also have an 04 A6 with the turbo. I am pleased with my purchase even though I am spending money on a depreciating asset, unlike the wonderful house described above.

With a sticker of $80,474, I paid $79,125. I wanted more off, but the problem is that there just aren't many A8Ls in the Chicagoand area. I got a .00280 money factor on a 36 month lease.

Still learning about all of the features, but I have already used the Bluetooth, the Bose stereo and the ride adjustment feature. The backup camera is a hoot!

The car feels big, but I am quite surprised on how peppy it is...I was expecting a slower car. The tiptronic comes in handy - I never use it on the A6 turbo, but it really adds to drivability on the A8L.
    Congrats on the new A8 and welcome to the family.

The '07s features Audi's new 350hp direct-injection V8 that squirts a bit more power than the 335-hp traditional fuel-injection engine it replaces

Yes, with any car, it depreciates. But boy this is one good looking, well driving piece of depreciative machinery.
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    ">Hello All:

I had to laugh as I read hikerjimmy's msg, because I could have said exactly the same things! After waiting for 4 months, somewhat nervously because of a fear of inclement weather any day, my 2007 A8L finally arrived 2 Sat.'s ago at the dealer's. Since I was having it detailed (paint, fabric and leather protected), and it was just before New Year's, the car couldn't have been ready right away, but I at least rushed over there to view it - and retrieved it the following Sat.

Well, needless to say, there are many features which I have not yet mastered, many of them tied into the MMI. However, I amazed myself in getting the Bluetooth connection to work tonight, and as I sat in front of the local Cingular store, I was calling folks and chatting with them, handsfree, using the car's Bose speakers.

I am equally impressed by how the car drives, the keyless technology, the camera-assisted reverse, and on and on. The leather upgrade and Alcantera are comfortable and sumptuous. Just 2 inches longer than my former M-B S-class, the car DOES seem very long - I guess I'll get used to that. But it drives so effortlessly, it doesn't drag its tail.

More on this, at a later time!

shrinkrap
    Congradulations---I found the mmi to be easy after I made myself remember that the heat cool controls are their own system...It took a while, but now very easy....Tony
    Also congradulations are in order for you....I hope you enjoy as much as I have....It is a nice surprise how peppy the car is....Tony
  • hikerjimmyhikerjimmy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the affirmations! It makes one feel good. My congrats to you shrinkrap!

The keyless entry is a bit weird, but I am getting used to it.

Does anyone know if you can program this A8L to unlock the doors when you put the car in park? My GMC Yukon does that and it is very convenient, especailly when there are other passengers in the car.

I will say to anyone considering this car - the ride quality adjustment feature really works well. Unlike in other cars I have tested, you can really feel the difference between the comfort setting and the dynamic setting - even more so when driving around the city on older streets.
    How do you program the interior lights to go out without locking the A8L?
    Following the manual I was able to program the doors to unlock when in park.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    They will go out, just not fast enough. I think you can adjust it in MMI.
    It's been plenty quiet around these parts, just thought I'd stop in and wake everyone up.

The S8 and W12 are still running strong. I've convinced my wife that the W12 is "not an old man's car", so much to the point where she actually loves to drive it.

She disliked it so much that she never even figured out all of the controls until now. She loves MB's, what can I say.

Eric, stranger if you're still around, would love to know how you're loving that green A8. Tony, I always follow you on the HELC board. Everyone else, how are you?
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the reminder, blkhemi. Yes, I have been driving the new A8L for 4 weeks now. No complaints at all that weren't there already: I dislike the rear seat headrests' obstructing about 20% of the rear window, unlike those in the S-Class which neatly fold down out of the way. The rear vision assist helps when you're backing up, but on the highway, I find those headrests quite annoying.

Other than that, the car is quite a pleasure to drive, fast enough for my needs, with an extremely comfortable and adjustable interior. I've had no snow in which to drive so far, but it's been handling the cold (single digits last night) well, between the heated seats and a good heating system. Keyless entry and start are great, as is the Bluetooth compatability with my cell phone and the sound system. I figure that I have mastered barely half of all of the car's features, so I have some additional gadgets to look forward to learning how to use. Space distribution is quite good, both in the back seat and the trunk.

Score of 9.8, I'd say.

Best wishes,

shrinkrap
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    There are so many discussions in the Audi World forums about the D3 A8; I always try to take off a few minutes by going there to look for the interesting topics, I came back to this forum again just to check if my A8 rating is put on; I gave my rating a month ago, somehow was not on, so I did the second time. The 07 A8 black/black SWB gives me plenty of pleasure to enjoy, so far so good, a good car indeed… Too bad, the car makes me want more! Now, I have been patiently waiting for the coming S8 which I had ordered two months ago.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are talking about the Consumer Reviews, right? It should go up on Thursday or Friday, I just released it from the queue. ;)
    My swb Audi has kept my intrest for the past year + and is still something to look forward to...One of the fine features is how quickly the heat will come out of the vents..On my car this happens with in two blocks which is way quicker than any other car I have owned....There are many other small things like this that makes the car a pleasure all the time.....Blk I can understand how your wife is a Mercedes fan...I was a Lexus fan for a long time, and now kick myself for missing what I have now. Maybe I just got the Audi at the right time and missed nothing---but I`l never know.....Eric is doing fine on the d3 board but I`v not seen him here in a long time...Tony
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Holy Moses, this Web site of Audi/VW ratings is scary. Of course, much of the real bad stories are VWs but too many are Audi related.
    BlkHemi -

I was curious as to how many mile you put on your W12? I am getting more interested in an Audi after having been away from them for awhile. I alway loved the Quattro AWD system in big Audis.

By the way, one of my vehicles is a RAM 4x4 CTD. I have seen that you also are partial to Ram PUs
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    I own a W12 as well. I put about 7000 miles per year on it as I use my A6 for daily driving mostly. My W12 is a 2005 as is my A6. Both have had only required oil changes and that's it. Perfect in every way and reliable like tanks so far. On my 10th Audi and all have been excellent in more ways than one.
    reality2,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am trying to find out if anyone on this forum has been putting significant mileage on an A8. If I was to get one it would be the car that would be my primary driver and have serious mileage put on it.

I already have too many more specialized vehicles that I only use for very specific purposes but that are really not suited for significant long distance driving. When possible and time permits, my wife and I also prefer to take our luxury car on vacation rather than driving. In my case, I have to fly multiple days for business almost every week and getting on another commercial plane flight is not my idea of a vacation. Therefore, I am trying to find out how the A8 holds up to really racking-up the miles.
    My 2004 A8L is at 44K and humming beautifully.
    The only work that has been done are the factory updates, truck hinges and the like. Just took a 300 mile run from Scottsdale to Palm Desert in 3'10". My TC said it felt like we were driving only 50 mph. Love that woman! <(-;
    Yes, the big Audi's hold much to be desired and are definetely in the top of the heap of best kept secrets in the biz.

I currently have about 29k miles on the W12, and it wouldn't have been that much if I hadn't let my daughter borrow it when she had my grandson. Her S4 Cab simply wouldn't do. But I did have fun driving the Cab tho.

And yes, I love Dodge Rams. While the class has definitely moved on, the Ram is still competitive. Especially the new 6.7L Cummins HD's.
  • timincalitimincali Member Posts: 10
    I started my quest for a new car this week and had no intentions of buying an A8. Well needless to say, one look and I was hooked. The offer I have on the table is the following:

A8 Short w/ premium, 19&#148;, massage, Sirius
    MSRP - $77970
    Invoice - $72574 (according to KBB)
    Offer - $73608
    Residual &#150; 44% (45% if I have them throw in the $599 maintenance program)
    Money Factor &#150; 0.00145
    Payment with 7.75% tax - $1322.79

I&#146;m in So Cal and wanted to know if the Residual and MF sound right for my region thru Audi Financial. A couple of posts back you stated that they were 46% and 0.0013. I just want to be sure that they are not marking these up. Also, do you think that there is room for further negotiation?

Thanks,
    Tim-in-Cali
  • timincalitimincali Member Posts: 10
    Forgot to state that this is a 36 mo 15K/yr lease.
  • estreedestreed Member Posts: 6
    I have worked on a rebuilt many of these A8 quattro units(5HP24A). They are a very heavy duty unit. The size of the gear train is about like a 3/4 ton truck. I have never seen a gear train failure yet. One quirks with this transmission is that audi constantly slips the torque converter intentionally about 20 to 60 RPM for drive ability purposes-in other words it doesn't feel like the engine is getting lugged down. The side effect of this is that the torque converters wear out and when you try to do a light acceleration the engine rpms will constantly bounce about 300 RPM's. The reason for this is that the lining is worn off the torque converter. I've tried to change the transmission computers in several cars and it didn't fix a thing. I also checked the throttle position sensor and it was ok. Many times there will be no trouble codes in the transmission computer. VAG-com software is great but it can't do more than Audi's computers allow it to do. Many times there are problems that drive you crazy but the computer says everything is ok and from what the computer sees everything is ok because it's within tolerance. There is one valve that sometimes also sticks in the valve body from all this clutch material going through it. There are couple things to really be careful when changing the torque converter. It is very difficult to find a high quality converter since they are a very difficult converter to rebuild due to the design. Sometimes you can lose reverse with this trans as well. The most common reason is a piston blowing out in the very back of the trans and you pretty much have the rebuild trans when this happens.

Be very careful who rebuilds this trans.
    There are about 4 seal installers which are a absolute must. the trouble is the cost of these installers is so cost prohibitive that you wouldn't even think about buying them. I made them in my machine shop. Most rebuilders leave these seals alone and say that it wasn't leaking when it came in. I hate that kind of attitude. Do it right or don't do it at all. The reason these seals are so important is because there are actually three sumps in this transmission: Front differential; center differential; and transmission fluid. If they intermix it is big trouble and the trans won't last long.
  • feather2feather2 Member Posts: 9
    Well here we are...I made the e mail available per Pat`s instructions....Tony
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, your email address is still listed as private for some reason. Let's see if feather2 is comfortable asking questions here. If not, we'll figure out something about the email address. :)
  • jw786jw786 Member Posts: 2
    Re: A8 Transmission issues?? [martin12] by estreed Mar 12, 2007 (9:28 pm)

Sorry for the confusion if any, I have 2001 A6/4.2L with 5HP24A trans, at 100K miles suddenly it misses 1st and launches in 2nd with a jerk (as if someone hit me from behind,I am not using the Car). Do I have a Valve Body Problem (should I send it out for rebuild, but where) or do I have a Trans OIL leak (some fluid light is ON, all fluid are new or changed except trans) , from the Post(s) I understand that 5HP24A is good for 600HP (same as RS6 450HP) and it doesn't appears that I have some broken parts(as demonstrated by 0-160MPH test)... someone suggested it was Trans CPU...so I did the infamous 0-160MPH & 160-0MPH test on the highway (no use of brakes to stop, did that at midnight) with this test the car took off like a bullet and did fixed the problem for 2-3 hours.. I just don't know what to check for expect send the Car for a Trans OIL chnage and/or Vavle Body rebuild? Does anyone has more input and suggest me the best trans shop in midwest or anywhere in USA ...much thanks in advance...
  • pits944spits944s Member Posts: 1
    I just lost reverse in my 1997 Audi A8 4.2 with 120K miles. The car will creep backward when in reverse on a flat, smooth, surface, but does not respond to throttle - it acts like it is in neutral. Besides the piston failure noted here I have also noted an F125 switch and a ball bearing under the gearshift which is plastic surrounded and wears as other possibilities. Can you or anybody comment about this?
  • jw786jw786 Member Posts: 2
    Estreed: With Post #1362 and my trans problem A6/4.2L (Post # 1367)...You are right, I replaced the TCU and the ran fine for >3 mile or so, once it learned all message from the ECU, same problem ...the limp-mode with occational jerk shifting with no 1st and 2-3 hard upshift etc. It apears that its the torque converter and/or 1st gear, but then all 1-5 shift in fast fashion (before I hit 3000-3500 rpm) with jerks which sugests that it may very well be Torque converter as you've explained...Can you recommend a Shop (USA or Europe) to get the TQ Converter REBUILD and at what cost. Also How do I get it out, how many hours will it take ? Many Thanks jeffwhite_usa@yahoo.com
  • gtrenggtreng Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 99 A8 quattro a few years back and the transmission has had the issues you posted (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9e503) with the exact symptoms. I left my car at the dealer for a week, they couldnt figure it out (although they still wanted to charge me 8 hours labor). I had coverage on my powertrain the entire time and unless I paid someone $4k to take my transmission apart, there was no way I would have had the tranny covered. If the dealer had done their diligence and given me a diagnosis, I could have had everything covered with $100 out of my pocket. Now I am scrambling to solve the problem before I do worse damage.

Is there any specific information I should ask the mechanic to look for? Do I actually need to replace the tranny, or can I get away with just the TC clutch and valve body? It seems that in 2002 model years, these problems subsided, as if the design was changed to eliminate this problem. Most of us on www.audiworld.com have the same exact problem.

Thanks again for the great post!
  • thuinkerthuinker Member Posts: 14
    I have 2005 A8L W12. I'm considering installing Dension iPod interface soon and wonder if anybody has seen if it works well. If you know, does it replace the CD player? I've not talked with a Dension rep but only to a couple guys at the dealership. Thanks
  • gtrenggtreng Member Posts: 2
    Really nice ride, I can only imagine what it feels like to cruise around in that 12 cylinder saloon. Try www.audiworld.com, you'll find a huge support base there that can answer your question on the ipod and anything else you have questions on.
  • bobwashbobwash Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 2005 Audi 8L which I enjoy immensely. I do however get a lot of road noise which appears to be coming from the tires. I took the car to an Audi dealer in TN which is near my summer home but not my where I purchased the car. They were absolutely no help and told me the tires were cupping (whatever that means) and creating the road noise. The tires are Pirelli Four Seasons and were new at time of my purchase a few months ago and have been noisy as long as I have owned the car. I am wondering if this is chrachteristic of the car or is it normally a quiet car.
    I am running Michelins on 19" rims. Very quite. Cupping is usually caused by misalignment and can be noisy. Sounds like your original dealer should check it out. If it was a Certified Pre-owned used car from an Audi Dealer they have a very extensive check list which should have covered appropriate wheel alignment. Good luck.
  • bobwashbobwash Member Posts: 7
    I have a radar detector plugged into the cigarette lighter on my A8. The problem is the lighter does not shut off when the ignition is turned off. Sooner or later I know I'm going to wake up with a dead battery because I forgot to unplug the detector. Ant thoughts on a fix?
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Your dealer told you exactly what was wrong, so how could they be no help? It's the tires.

Get rid of the Pirelli P6's. They're pretty poor tires and numerous complaints can be found about them. Go to a place like tirerack.com and you can see all the reviews on every tire that will fit your A8.

Your A8 will ride a lot better with different tires.
  • robin23robin23 Member Posts: 4
    I am in the market for a used luxury cruiser. To me the "quietness" of the car while traveling at high speeds is a big factor. I am juggling between s500 and a8 and really like the a8 due to its elegant interior and awd. I have been hearing alot about windnoise and road noise in the a8's. I currently own a 04 lexus rx330 and it is very noisy. please give me your opinion about how the vehicle is on the highways and how loud or quiet it really is. im looking particurly at 04 or 05 model. your help will be appriciated. :)
    Just came out of two Lexus GS 300's into my 04 A8L. My wife say's it is the quietest car she has driven. The 19" Michelin Pilot 255/40 ZR19 A/S @the recommended 41psi are amazingly quite and smooth. The grip is fantastic and they look great. It's a techy' automobile and ton's of fun. Check the AutoWeek Dec 17, 2007 issue for a discussion of the A8L and S class MB and the 460L Lexus.
    The Lexus is smooth and not as much a drivers car in my opinion.
    The website is autoweek.com/driverslog for more comments.
    Enjoy ..... p.s. the Scottsdale Audi dealer is truly outstanding.
  • ayyateayyate Member Posts: 53
    I am surprised you heard about wind noise in the A8. My 2005 A8 is very quiet, except for tire noise at low speeds that has developed recently, which I attribute to flat spots on my original tires with 30,000 miles on them. I will be replacing them soon, for that reason. Buy the A8. You will be glad you did. I am on my second A8 and have been happy.
  • robin23robin23 Member Posts: 4
    Im one of those people who talk on the phone alot while driving(mostly business calls) and it is nearly impossible to have a conversation in my current 04 rx330 at speeds above 70mph and above 85mph i can just forget about even answering my phone. so thats why im picky about the "quietness" of my future vehicle. trust me its not my phone thats just doesn't have enough volume adjustments. That is why im asking the currents owners of this fantastic looking vehicle (a8) on how it behaves on high speeds. Thanks for your replies it helps people like me make a better decision.
This discussion has been closed.