Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Easy, just picture the VW Pheaton with some slight changes and there you have the next A8, or the Audi Avatissimo Concept car. The Audi is destined to look better than the already good looking Pheaton, inside and out.

http://www.germancarfans.com/photos.cfm?PhotoID=3020523.002

http://www.audiworld.com/ (you'll have to search for the Avatissimo on this site)

M

• l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    thats a pretty nice VW. I've also been thinking about an A8L, but I'm going to hold off and see what the next redesigned model has to offer.

Does anyone know when this VW is available in the states?

thanks,
    Well VW is saying next July, but knowing them and their terrible product launch history I 'd say early 2004.

On a different note I rode past the VW store around here, and I don't see how they'll be able to sell a 70K car. VW must have a dealer revamp plan in the works??? Anyone know?

M
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Can't wait for to see the car in person but I think the back looks like a little VWish but overall a very nice design. Elegant yet sporty. And my gosh that interior is beautiful. I love the fact the screen can be set to close in the dash. Makes for a much more elegant look. BMW 745 is a dead duck with this car in the market and it will even pull people like me with a MB E500 on order. I will take a look and perhaps make a trade if it is a larger car with E500 driving dynamics. Wow.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Got a question since you are a huge German car fan. If you take a look at the interior pics of the Audi A8 on Germancarfans.com and read the specs is that nob by the shiftgate similar to the I-drive?
    Very, but Audi is promising easier more "logical" operation. Plus with the new A8 you still get most of the traditional "buttons" to bypass the MMI system. If Audi's current Nav system is anything to go by it should be easier than i-drive and Comand. Man I really love that interior though! It's official to me, Audi easily makes the best interirors of the German makes, and arguably the best in the world. I'm going to have to find out some names of their interior designers.

M
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    dull.

not the splash it needed to be. Doesn't have near the presence of the Avantissimo concept.

not bad, bad not stunning.........the Phaeton is nicer on the exterior.

Wow, the Germans miss the mark with the 7 series and now the A8...at least they didn't screw up the E class.
    I was kinda thinking the Phaeton looks a little better, too, but the Audi's interior smokes the VW's. I'll withhold final judgement until I can see both...Audis tend not photograph well...the current A8 looks a lot better in the metal than it does in pics.

M
    the production a8 lacks the muscular stance of the Avantissimo.....and the lowboy console reminds me of 70's GM cars.....the A4 is so nice.....
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Can those with the optional solar panel moonroof tell me how good they are at cooling the interior? Thanks.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    I am starting my search for a nice used A8 or S8. I would like to hear from some S8 owners about the ride. I am sure the handling is fantastic but how is the ride? Is it much rougher than the A8? Also, what colors were offered in the S8? I don't want black. Also considering a 7 series BMW and would like to be convinced to buy the Audi. Thanks.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I you want to stand a chance at finding owners of an S8 best to ask these questions at audiworld.com
    Nice. Well you can't say Audi isn't trying. If there one luxury car in high-end class that is truly "different" it is the A8.

M
    And the more I look at it, the more handsome it becomes. VW/Audi truly knows how to do the consertively sexy styling:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/a8launch/

M

the console controls are right where you want to put all your stuff. what exactly was wrong with having controls up higher on the dash.....?

I think this is a trend thing to be like idrive or something. Renders the center console kinda useless.
    and the exterior lacks the pop of the avantissimo.

still, I would love to own this all aluminum car.
    and yeah, on a hot day, the water condensing on your cruiser cup sitting in that high cupholder will drip all over those fancy controls on the console.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    Although it doesn't have the Avantissimo's avant-guard style, I think I'll be putting my order in soon, biggest decision will be whether or not to wait for the S8 and what options will you loose.

http://www.germancarfans.com/News.cfm?NewsID=2020903.001

For the first comparison of the A8 vs the S500 and 745i, see the Nov issue of CAR Magazine. The A8 won, and surprise the 745i was ranked last, with of course the S500 in the middle.

M
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    swweeet!
  • jacksonmanjacksonman Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have any advice on brakes for my 1999 A8? It has about 35,000, and the squeal is incredible. Any good aftermarket pads? They tell me my pads and rotors are like new. I am willing to put new pads on, but shutter at the price of rotors. One shop is suggesting Raybestos. Any help??
    no buzz about the new a8?
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I'm waiting for it to arrive in the US. Hope that all the good options make it (lighting , etc) but not sure. I'm putting a deposit down on an S8 once i get a delivery time frame.
    hmmmmmm, anyone see the S-class redo? Basically a new front end, and an interior redesign that is not much different. I saw pics of those in Top Gear mag....

New BMW 7 series is an egg. Boy did they lay a big turd with the idrive, heinous styling and all......

So the BMW challenger is down, the S class update is not significantly different....(the new E class will steal sales from the S class anyways).

Time for a big increase in sales of the new a8???

Wait! New Jag XJ is out, aluminum body which they claim is superior construction methods to the A8 aluminum body.....the new Jag is about as light as a typical mid size sedan (not sure if it will ger AWD eventually) but it looks luxurious and stylish and promises performance.....Are the Jag and new a8 the cars to watch in the upper luxury segment?
    I would have predicted huge sales gains for the new A8 in the U.S. this time around if it weren't for that big VW competing in the same space. The Jaguar XJ8 will never be a "volume" player in the segment because not everyone wants a car that wears it's styling so outwardly. The Jaguar still can't match tech with the Germans either.

The funny thing about the BMW 7-Series is that for all the complaining about it's styling and Idrive, it just wrapped up it's best sales year ever in the U.S.

M
    That new Jag is sooooo purty though and so many hundreds of pounds lighter.......

S class is sooooooo dull........
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I thought the A8 and Phaeton would compete more closely price-wise. But the press keeps quoting the Phaeton at $62K and the A8, depending on who you are reading is significantly more (in the car magazine quotes, that is).

The reality may be that they are very close -- but the press is doing a job of confusing the issue somewhat, making the VW "cheaper" than the early early press reports had stated.

Time will tell.

The A8 keeps looking better and better though.

But, I love my 03 allroad -- and although the A8, in 1997 was the best Audi I had ever had (and I have had over two dozen), the allroad is NOW the best one.

They just keep makin' em better!
  • newowner2newowner2 Member Posts: 2
    To anyone looking for a used A8 or plans to keep it for more than 100,000 miles, please be aware that maintenance is outrageous. My 1997 A8 just turned 90,000 miles and I am told the transmission is starting to go. I WAS QUOTED $9,000 to replace it by the dealer. A local transmission shop told me the dealer is only going to rebuild the unit!!!!!! Buyer Beware!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Volkswagen/Audi in Massive Recall

More than 850,000 Volkswagen and Audi vehicles --
    about 530,000 sedans and hatchbacks sold in the
    U.S. alone -- are being recalled for a faulty
    ignition coil. Volkswagen announced the recall last
    week, noting that the problem could cause spark
    plug failure and rough running, which is usually
    indicated by the vehicle's "Check Engine" light.
    Most of the cars affected carry the VW corporate
    1.8-liter turbo four (which includes the Audi A4
    and TT coupe; the VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, New Beetle
    and Passat), the 2.8-liter VR6 and the 3.0-liter
    V6 engines, as well as the VW Passat's W8.
  • vharris528vharris528 Member Posts: 1
    If what I've seen concerning the price of the new A8 is correct, it will be priced at around 75K. That's about 12k more than the base car is this year. The A8 has been known as value leader at this price point, now it plays in the same price league as the Mercedes or BMW and the lexus is about 18-20K cheaper. It's absolutely stunning but at 75K, I may be forced to pass on it.
  • hdfxrshdfxrs Member Posts: 1
    My quote for a new transmission is $10,000 for my 1998 A8 with 60k miles.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I saw the new A-8 at the auto show and was impressed. As with everything from luxury cars to widgets, I suspect the price will be set based on relative supply and demand, so that list price will only hold up if people are willing to pay it. From what I saw and have read, the new model is quite a bit improved and so an increase seems justified, but I agree that they will have to price at a discount to Mercedes and BMW until people accept them in that league. I would be surprised if the normal A-8 lists at $75k (maybe that was for an L model), which I believe would be 10% more than a normal 745; although come to think of it I believe a 745L starts at "only" $73k.
    Well the price difference between the 2003 A8 and 2004 A8 can be explained very easily. Audi is no longer importing the short-wheelbase model, they're starting out for 2004 with the A8L and only going up from there. If they price the new A8L at 75K thats about 8K more than the current A8L. Sales of the A8L were much better than the short wheelbase model in the latter years of the current car's production run, so this time they aren't going to bother with a "base" A8.

The next short wheelbase A8 will the be the 2005 S8.

M
  • sanders8sanders8 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a great 2000A8 for 3 years and will probably purchase the 2004 model. I do not own the L - I just like the shorter base. Do you know if I can order a 'non-L' version soon? Also, at 50,000 miles it seems to me that a subtle change is taking place with the transmission - could I possiblly be feeling a difference? The AWD has been amazing...
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Does anyone know exactly the time the 2004 A8 will be available at Audi dealers? Does Audi have a European Delivery program like MB and BMW?

Thanks!
    Tony
    saw the interior of the A8 at the autoshow (but couldn't sit in it). Was skeptical about it in photos but seemed impressive in the flesh.

Why anyone would look at a 7 series boggles my mind. The Sclass, new Jag XJ, and A8 are more attractive and aren't saddled with the lame joystick.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    I just attended the launch of the new A8L; awesome car; Audi has really hit a homerun this time.
    Anyone ordered an A8 yet? Anyone in the U.S. driven the car yet?

M
  • dsilver2dsilver2 Member Posts: 12
    The new A8L will be at the dealers on june 12th
    Really like it, aside from the bare center console area. But that new XJ only 3700 pounds in full dress (RWD only). I think the A8 and the XJ will bite huge chunks out of the 7series (ahem, slug) and Sclass (ahem, dated) market.
  • pegleggerpeglegger Member Posts: 40
    My understanding is that Audi hasn't had a Euro delivery option for 20 years or so...it's a great thing and I will be going in August for 2 weeks to pick up and drive my 04 Volvo S60R.

Too bad Audi doesn't offer. Volvo's is a really sweet deal, BMW and Mercedes not incentive-laced, like Volvo, but you still get to drive a sweet car and not have to pay exorbitant rental fees.
  • zachmbenzfvrzachmbenzfvr Member Posts: 25
    From what I have seen of the new A8, it looks beautiful. The entire car is a marvel to look at in my opinion. I have never owned an Audi, but this car is changing my mind. I hope Audi strikes success with the A8. And, let us not forget the interior. The best I have seen in a very long time. Well done.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Couldn't agree more - it was love at first sight for me as well (I spent a LOT of time admiring it at our local Auto Show last February, even though they wouldn't let you open the doors). I hope it proves to be put together as well as it looks. If it gets a good reputation for reliability, it could be a big profit maker for Audi, even thought they will never sell it in volume due to the price.

P.S. My neighbor just bought a slightly used '02 A8L model with 21,000 miles, for what he says was a very good price. He's a commerical realtor, and he chose the Audi in part due to its very roomy back seat, as he often takes clients with him to show the properties that he has listed. And being in Minnesota, he also said that he needed something that would safely get him to where he needs to go, even on the worst winter days. Seems like he made a smart choice.
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I received information from Audi that the U.S. base price on the A-8L is just under $70k. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the first ones!
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Our local dealer has one on the floor and I checked it out on Thursday. The base price was right around $69,000 and with a few options it was something like $73,000. Out of my range, but it sure is a good looking car. The back seat is unbelievably roomy, and the interior materials and build quality are superb. Maybe some day....
  • t6553gwt6553gw Member Posts: 18
    My company provide the infotainment system for A8 and as a test engineer I have been driven this car for past 2 month, at first it doesn't feel as solid as BMW/Benz, but it's more nimber and became solid if driven more aggressively, it's not over powerful on low end but more easy to drive on local road because it felt much smaller and lighter, on free way it is a blast to drive, the amazing thing about it is you don't feel the different between 50m/h and 100m/h, I drove the new MB E500 and I started to felt the speed at around 70 m/h and that really suprised me, BMW 745i is very good too but if you get bored of them and want something diffrent, it's good choice I think.
  • paul1266paul1266 Member Posts: 4
    Just test drove the 2004 A8. Excellent ride and handling. One of the nicest interiors I have ever seen. Coming out of a 540i Sport, so there is some loss of shear power but it was easily made up for in ride quality and interior material upgrades. I passed on a 745il, I felt the A8 was equal in all performance aspects, had a nicer interior and a much more logical system than the i-drive system. MSRP on an equally loaded 745il was a little over $81k As for price: I ordered with the following options: WPD convenience package, PRQ 19" Alloy wheels, PAW cold weather package, 7HB door armrest and center console in leather, PDE dual-paned security glass, 9AU Dual rear seat climate control. MSRP $76,640 Bought for $73,476. 3 dealers quoted me, local dealer was at full MSRP, a dealer 90 miles away wanted $75,000 and the dealer 76 miles away gave me the $73,476 quote. Local dealer was ticked that any one would discount so early into the release of the new A8. Hope this info helps any interested buyers. I should take delivery in mid-August.
This discussion has been closed.