Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• orienteoriente Member Posts: 44
    Further in support of the A8N coming soon, below is a quote from Motor Trend Future Vehicles site:

"2005 Audi A8: Less-expensive short-wheelbase model joins the A8 L. A high-performance S8 may follow."
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    That goes against what Audi has said, so we'll just have to see. The S8 will definitely be a swb model, but I doubt if a regular A8 model will appear in that configuration, according to what AUDI said upon intro of the new A8.

M
  • ksurgksurg Member Posts: 48
    I'm with Merc1 on this one. So far Audi denies plans to introduce the A8 in any forms other than the A8L and eventually the S8. That may reflect the fact that the previous A8L outsold the SWB A8 by a wide margin. I also wonder if the upcoming VW Phaeton may be influencing the marketing strategy.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    If you happen to have the 2004 brochure you'll notice a few photos of the SWB model. Yet there is no mention of it. It's strange - why would Audi place those photos?
    I have the brochure but am not sure which pictures you're referring to. Regardless, the SWB version is available in Europe( mind you with several different engines included a diesel option). You ever wonder why we're the last to see some of these cars!
    It's funny but I thought the Phaeton should have been sold as a swb model, it doesn't look as balanced as the A8L does.

M
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I actually do not have the brochure anymore. But near the back (I'm doing this from memory so I may be off) there is a two-page spread shwoing the car from the side. There's also another one-page photo of the car showing the rear and the side near the very back. If you look at the length of the back door and window compared to other photos in the brochure it is clear they are showing the SWB.

I hope this helps clarify things. I'll see if I can get another brochure and provide exact page numbers.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    And, I called my Audi VW buddy today -- price out a loaded A8 -- it will be about $11,000 more than a "comparable" Phaeton.

Now, I don't want to get into an argument here -- and since I've never driven (only seen pictures and read text) a Phaeton, my comments are completely without basis, but: it seems like the Phaeton with the Audi 4.2L V8 and a lot of the features "standard" that will be optional on an A8L and a huge price difference -- (and the Audi advantage service model) -- well it would make me at least test drive the Phaeton if I were in the market for a full size V8 all wheel drive vehicle.

But, that's just me, I could be wrong.

The Phaeton will be $64K in V8 guise. I tarted up an A8L on the audiusa web site and it went zoom to $75k without even trying.

Things are getting interesting.

And, despite the cries of VW's dealer body is in search of a clue with regard to customer service, well, I still have fond memories of VW.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    Mark,

do you really expect the Phaeton to sell? We have VW and Audi, and quite frankly we really don't want the Phaeton. I've seen and driven both cars and sold a bunch of A8's; very nice, very similar inside, Phaeton a little more Benz-like in ride, even with adjustments, A8L can be either one (BMW or Benz). In my opinion, the Phaeton's weight hurts; its ugly from the rear...........if you had the choice, one or the other for 50 dollars a month, what are you gonna drive?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    A8. thanks for asking.
    . . .but even this might not be fair, I haven't driven the Phaeton. But if the diff is $11K, why again will the Audi only be $50 more per month?

I root for VW, I have owned a Jetta and a Quantum and a BMW 325 -- and 25 Audis. I dunno, maybe this march up market by VW will not work.

The thing is that supposedly only 4% of current Audi owners will cross over (that doesn't mean cross shop, however, I suspect).

I am not in the market for a Mercedes either -- I will test a Phaeton for the "fun of it." And, after having owned an A8 for nearly 50,000 miles a couple of cars back, I can remark, the A8L is larger than I want even if the priced dropped $30,000. My A8 was $1,000 a month on the lease payment; my first A6 4.2 was a high $900 month number -- the reason for the switch, I wanted a smaller car but still wanted a V8.

Perhaps folks will not cross shop and the cross buy will not happen. But why wouldn't you want the Phaeton he wondered out loud?

And, given the fact that it is obviously coming, you certainly are "rooting" for it to succeed aren't you?

But, the only car -- at this point -- that is "that big" that even remotely gets my attention is the not yet here -- the S8. I always hoped for an S6 non-avant to come to the US. Did I get one, nope, the S6 avant only came here -- and $80K+ for an RS 6 with depreciation that will sink faster than the Titanic -- heck, my 2.7T 6spd allroad came with 2 speeding tickets in the glove box (just to save me time) as it was.

Where was I? Oh yea -- for $50 bucks a month, I'd definately take the Audi.

I'm an excellent driver.
    I hope it does well, but its no A8.

We got our first Oyster Grey last week, sweet car.
    . . in cars that are that far apart in MSRP?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    how does the lease work out....no one BUYS a car that costs that much...and usually their business will lease it for them anyways.......at least part of it.
    The difference in price isn't 11k....more like 4-5 with options. A8 has better residual so the payments will be pretty close..
    . . .for every $1K diff the Audi costs about $10/month more? And, sorry, I thought the Phaeton would be $64K and a comparably equipped A8 would be $75K -- I have not seen a configurator for the Phaeton and backed into the number by looking at the Phaeton web site and using Audi's on-line configuration software.

The residual makes sense.
    I configured one at 70 and change, roughly 4500 less than the A8 sitting next to my desk. With the difference in residual, money factor, etc...the payment might be 80 bucks less. That said, I'd still buy the A8L; when you're looking at payments that expensive, whats 1079 vs 999? It won't break you.
    Based on what I know and what I want, the A8 would be my hands down choice.

See Car and Driver comparo.
    I have some pretty cool pics of the ASF and the timochenko tubes from the launch. I don't want to bore anyone with a slide show, so let me know if you really wanna see them.
    $698 month, 36 months, 10K miles per year, $65K MSRP, $1995 cap cost reduction required, $575 acquisition fee, $0 sec dep.

This, regardless of the fact that the Audi A8L is the more sporting of the two, is an agressive deal.

Same ad, Jaguar "X" for 39 months $299/mo., with a similar cap cost reduction requirement and no sec dep, bla bla bla.

The times they are interesting.
    leases for 1225 for 39 w/ 5000 down. (plus tax ofcourse)
    Again on this subject, I contacted an Audi dealer that replied the SWB version is coming in 2004, but that it will be the A8S. Now, the A8S does not exist, even in Germany. I dont even dream of getting anything out of Audi USA, but the Germans could be more candid. I would contact them if I spoke any german.....anyone outthere that speaks Dutch wants to give it a try? (wishful thinking?)
    I don't think I'd call their native tongue Dutch, but I could be wrong, they might be amused.

Aud.de WILL respond in English to "'Mericans" I have a dialog with a person goin on right now. Ineed it is through this person at Audi AG that I was told to "count on an A3" for MY 2005 and "not sure, but probably S3 as of a year later."

http://www.freetranslation.com/ will translate your English to Dutch or Deutsch -- if I were you I would go with Deutsch though.

Aud.de wird auf englisch zu Amerikanern antworten, habe ich einen Dialog mit einer Person goin auf jetzt gleich. Ineed wurde der es durch diese Person an Audi AG den ich erzählt ist "um mich auf einen A3" für Modell Jahr 2005 und ich bin nicht sicher zu verlassen, aber wahrscheinlich S3 ab ein Jahr später."

See, that wasn't so hard.

Treiben Sie es mag Sie leben. Auf Wiedersehen.
    I will give it a try, in English, the universal language; let you know if I hear anything of interest. (I tested the "translator" using spanish-english and you would not believe the mess!!!)
    The freetranslation @ freetranslation.com is "free" and it can produce funny responses. The one that is really a hoot is "a rolling stone gathers no moss" translated to French is "A rolling rock does not muster any foams." So yes it is possible that there is pretty much a meltdown of precision in what you are writing. But, nevertheless, I have made many dinner reservations in Germany using this tool and have not, thus far, been fed any "foam" or moss for that matter.

German is the most English-like of the languages -- and although I happen to believe that to be the case, this is what my personal language trainer at a well-known International Language training company told me too. My wife decided to try Italian and I German. The point, anyway, is that Audi.de seems quite able to work with you in English, but from time to time it doesn't hurt to say: Vielen Dank sehr viel -- or Thank you very much very much (which gets the message across, don't you think?)
    Here is my latest finding on my favorite subjet. This comes from Autoweek, yet I could not verify the news at the USA Audi site.

(22:54:39 Nov. 27, 2003)
    Audi says shorter-wheelbase A8, performance variants likely on way to U.S.

The 2004 Audi A8 L will probably have some company soon. (Photo © 2003 Ingo Barenschee)
    Don’t look for Audi to stand pat with its 2004 A8 L in the North American market. Though the company will offer only the long-wheelbase version of the luxury flagship, starting at $68,500 beginning in June, vice president Len Hunt says a less-expensive, shorter-wheelbase model will likely follow as a 2005 model.

After that, the plan isn’t as clear, but Hunt says Audi is discussing S8 or RS8 performance models for 2005 or 2006 featuring a twin-turbo V8, the 5.0-liter V10 shown in the Nuvolari concept in Geneva, or even a turbodiesel.

All three powerplants would take advantage of the high torque capacity (443 lb-ft) of the A8’s six-speed Tiptronic transmission. The A8 L’s 4.2-liter V8 produces 330 hp and 317 lb-ft of torque.
  • rcarrierercarriere Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just purchased the Audi A8 and was wondering if it is possible to have a different phone wired into the car?
    Probably -- for a stack of $100 dollar bills about so high. Seriously, what is "wrong" with the factory phone?
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Anyone seen the pic of this. A completely new front end with a "mack" like truck grill. What is Audi thinking.
    By all accounts we should be seeing an A8SWB in the U.S., likely with identical 4.2l V8. The A8L will probably come with a W12 option or upgrade. The real question is will the S8 come with the twin turbo'd V8 presently in the RS-6 or the V10 featured in the Audi Le Mans. I favor the latter especially considering that they are talking about putting the V8tt in the RS-4 and the V-10 in the upcoming RS-6. I just hope the S8 gets here before 2006.
    ksurg, I should think it must come with the same V8 as the A8L. Looking at the performance data in the Germany web sites, it only edges the L by 0.1 Sec to 60 (or maybe 62)mph. After all it seems to be only about 150 lbs lighter. But the lightness I am looking for is hopefully around $6K, and perhaps better proportions.
    Would love to tackle the A8S, but not only it will cost $, but it will probably bring sport suspension, etc. (I have an Acura TL-S and need some relief over the bumps.) In all, seems like good things are coming, and I hope mid 04.
  • dattdatt Member Posts: 2
    Why can't Audi get out a satellite receiver for the A8L? First it was leaked as a dealer installed option in June, then availability was delayed until December 03, and now it is rumored to be June 04.
  • dattdatt Member Posts: 2
    The best that Audi customer relations could offer was "you could get an after-market" radio. Audi cannot figure out how to hook either Sirius or XM into the MMI and is no apparent hurry. Though that didn't keep them from promoting the car as satellite-radio ready from pre-launch through the present. Every review article references the satellite radio option. This isn't even bait-and-switch: it's just bait and wait.
  • lab4lab4 Member Posts: 1
    What a dissapointment. I took delivery 3 months ago and already am marking the days on my calendar for the lease to end. The electronic transmission and low end torque prevent anything other than jack rabbit starts. Audi admits there is nothing they can do to prevent my whiplash everytime I step on the accelerator, no matter how gently I attempt to accelerate. This takes all of the enjoyment out of driving this vehicle. Also, coathook in rear holds only one hanger. Don't they have dry cleaners in Germany ? Extremely slow and arduous process to change radio stations. At least a dozen other minor annoyances which have no place in a vehicle of this price. Its like dating Jessica Simpson -- great to show off to your friends, but the lack of brains eventually wears thin !!
  • hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    I read lab4's post with interest, as I am strongly considering a new A8L,and I am concerned about reliability and the complexity of the MMI. Are there any other A8L owners who would comment on their experiences?
    . . . seems to dislike the BMW iDrive and seems to praise, moreso at least than iDrive, Audi's MMI.

Perhaps this comparison is one that most of us will not be able or want to make at any depth.

This may or may not mitigate your concerns.

And, as I do not have the built in bias of knowing you or anything about you, I can, hopefully, ask you a couple of questions that will not raise your ire.

Do you -- typically -- rush to embrace the cutting edge of technology? Have you had a plasma TV for a couple of years? Have you had HDTV since 2000? When a new version of Windows comes out do you rush to implement it? Do you have someone print out your emails for you, then comment on the hardcopy and have someone reply for you?

Do you "believe in" voice mail and are you anxious to have wireless web access -- so called pervasive computing -- and are already "over" WiFi?

Is your house chock full of umpteen remotes so much so that your spouse has all but given up even trying to watch the evening news on a national network?

Have you had more DVD players than you can remember? Were you the first in your office to use PowerPoint "XP"? Do you wander about in the Sharper Image lusting for new gadgets and gizmos?

Are you pleased with your waiters corkscrew or do you have a power operated foil cutter and teflon coated corkscrew that sounds like a power drill when you activate it?

Perhaps you get my drift -- some folks love technology for technology's sake and some think the fax machine is just about ready for prime time.

If you hate the latest and greatest, well apparently the BMW will drive you nuts, the Audi less so. The response from the Germans, thus far has been "get used to it."

Perhaps a spanky new Cadillac SVX or whatever is the ticket for those of us who do like technology but think folks who require four hands to set their mondo complex wristwatches are nuts.

Personally I fall somewhere in the middle leaning to "gizmos 'r' use" -- some of my friends, as noted, still have their assistants print out their emails and refuse to activate their voice mail boxes, opting instead for the time test pink slips.

It takes all kinds.

Audi is technical, for sure, but apparently they have bettered the iDrive in ease of use.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The A8. Without a doubt the nicest most impressive car at the local car show. My girlfriend who isn't too impressed with cars period looked as though sitting the the limo like back seat of the new A8 is a style to which she'd like to become accustomed. I just wish it came in the SWB myself.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • llwysellwyse Member Posts: 56
    Lab4 (post #441), let me know if you want to "dump" your A8 before your lease is up. In spite of your comments, I'm considering getting one. I was spooked a bit by the "whiplash acceleration" problem you described as that is my only complaint with my 2003 A4. In spite of that (which I could not re-create on my A8 test drives), I want an A8. I do believe the erratic acceleration problem is primarily a function of the "fuzzy logic" of the Tiptronic. Since the problem does not exist for all drivers, it seems to be learning something about our driving habits that exacerbates the problem. Resetting the memory seems to help for a while.
  • frank_svkfrank_svk Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

if anybody of you needed to help out with german, just let me know :) Because, it is funny that you guys from U.S. admire german cars but show no respect to the Germans and their language. BTW, I don´t know what are you taught at schools if you lack such elementary knowledge...
    Wow. . .you are probably correct about one thing, we, in the US, are very poor with respect to other languages. I would NOT, however, characterize this lack of multi-language capability on our part as meaning we do not respect other languages and people from other countries.

I have not seen comments that I would interpret as intending to be disrespectful to Germans and the German language.

This board and this specific town-hall are for those who are interested in Audis, A8's in particular and overall, I believe, is a forum for "fans" of the brand, the car, German cars in general and for some of us fans of Germany.

I have been to Europe about 25 times since 1993, when I made my first visit to overseas -- first stop Munich. Since then, I have been to Germany at least 12 - 15 times. Germany and Italy are my favorite countries and my favorite Europeans. My wife and I have many fond memories of our trips to Germany and have always felt welcome. Generally, however, since it appears that 90% of Germans speak English, we "lazy Americans" have had little reason to learn German.

Both my wife and I took several (8) lessons in German and Italian in an attempt to communicate and show respect for our hosts when we are in Germany and Italy. Both countries have made our several dozen word vocabularies almost completely not necessary since English has become almost a second language all over Western and Central Europe.

We just returned from Prague -- where the common language appears to be English first, German second, Russian third followed by Czech.

These town-hall boards and discussions generally speaking may incite disagreements and elicit strong opinions about cars, but rarely do they rise to any level that I would characterize as being or intending any disrespect to any race, creed, color or nationality.

This isn't the place, but if anyone is interested in a "car trip" to Germany, I would be happy to opine on "things to do, places to see, where to drive and what restaurants to eat in and hotels in which to stay."

Now all we need is European delivery of Audis to be reinstated.

Before you think I still have no respect: Ich schaue vorwärts zu meinem nächsten Besuch zu München, Ingolstadt und Garmisch an.

I know, it probably doesn't say exactly what I wanted -- but, for right or wrong, we are English - centric here in the US; and, up and coming is Spanish, not German. Sorry.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Now all we need is European delivery of Audis to be reinstated."

Agreed.
    In fact, if Audi set up a program that was similar to BMW's, it might actually weigh significantly in my next vehicle choice / decision.

- Ray
    Tri-lingual - English, Fortran, Progress (not necessarily in that order) . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Oh, well, than I am fluent in RPG, if that counts as a "language!"

We can only hope for European Audi delivery to be on the option sheet, what a great vacation!
  • irishtirisht Member Posts: 2
    It has been almost 3 weeks since I took delivery of my new A8L and I it is great. This 2004 replace a 1998 A8 (yea I like them) and I have no idea what lab4 and others are talking about. This is without a doubt the best car I have ever driven!

One little issue has cropped up and that is the trim on the floor of the rear driver's door has come up and needs to be replaced. My dealer says that this has happened before on 2 other A8Ls and Audi is redesigning it.

Anyone else have issues with their new A8L? I would like to know what to look for.

Thanks.
    Yea, I have one issue -- and that is to congratulate you on getting one!

I am looking to the new A6 (and for the first time in over 20 years at some other cars) to possibly be my "mini-A8." My only A8 adventure was about 30 months spent with a pearl white 1997 A8 that I picked up in November 1996. It was a great car -- the A8L, however, is "too big" at this point. And, the new A6, might be "just about right!"

Anyway, congratulations and happy motoring.
  • dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    I'm glad to hear someone is enjoying the car. I think that the A8L is the best looking luxury sedan out there (both interior and exterior). The Lexus LS430's interior and Mercedes E-class's exterior come in a very close second.

I wish I can afford one, but I'm still happy with my 2003 A6. Hopefully, I can afford a used one in a couple of years.
    Well they depreciate so fast that you may just get your wish. A low milage A8 that is 2 model years old, seem to plummet in value (just as a BMW 7 or a Merc S class does).
    You guys that said the swb A8 was coming to the U.S. were right:

"AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Audi of America. Inc. announced the price for its expanded A8 line-up for the 2005 model year. Available mid-June, the normal wheelbase A8 4.2 quattro will join the model line along side the highly acclaimed, long wheelbase, A8 L. The A8 has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $66,590. A8 L models have a suggested retail price of $69,900. Both models use the powerful 4.2-liter V8 engine producing 335 horsepower and 317 lbs. ft. of torque. A six-speed TiptronicÒ automatic transmission and quattroÒ all-wheel drive channel the power to the ground and help enhance the car’s sporty dynamics.

Regardless of wheelbase, all A8s come equipped with a variety of standard equipment and the most up-to-date technology. The legendary Audi Space Frame (ASFÒ) adds strength and, at the same time, reduces weight. An adaptive air suspension allows for changes in ride height and driving dynamics. Drivers can choose from four different suspension settings, ranging from sporty to standard, to best match their driving style and road conditions.

A large number of vehicle functions may be controlled by Audi’s Multi Media Interface (MMI), an intuitive onboard electronics management system, ranging from radio settings to background lighting. Two separate displays – a retractable seven-inch color screen in the top of the dashboard and a three-inch driver information display in the instrument cluster – display the operator’s choices and other vehicle information.

Other standard equipment consists of self-leveling bi-xenon headlights, a 12- speaker Bose® Premium Surround System with 12-inch subwoofer, automatic dual-zone climate control, power glass sunroof, Navigation system, and ten airbags that include rear side and front knee airbags.

Options packages for both the A8 and A8 L include a Cold Weather Package with heated front and rear seats, a heated steering wheel and a ski sack ($1,100); and a Convenience Package with Advanced Key, electric rear sunshade, manual side sunshades, and power trunk open/close ($2,000) (on A8 L side sunshades are standard and rear vanity mirrors are part of the Convenience Package).

New stand alone options for 2005 include: adaptive cruise control ($2,100); choice of XM or Sirius Satellite Radio ($550+installation); and three-spoke multifunction wood steering wheel ($480). Additional individual options include: solar sunroof panel ($650); front and rear Parktronicä ($700); a choice of 18-inch five-spoke cast alloy wheels with all-season tires ($1,150), 18-inch nine-spoke cast alloy wheels with all-season tires (new for 2005 MY) ($1,700) or 19-inch 12-spoke cast alloy wheels with performance tires ($1,900); power door close assist ($450); and front seat massage and ventilation ($1,500).

All of this luxury, performance, and technology comes with the Audi Advantage consisting of a four-year/50,000 mile limited new vehicle warranty, four-year/50,000 mile no-charge scheduled maintenance, a 12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation, and 24-hour Roadside Assistance for four years."

(Source: Audi of America)

M
This discussion has been closed.