Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• jolee61jolee61 Member Posts: 8
    Don't see any discussion on pricing/deals received for A8.

Don't see any available board for "Prices Paid" for A8 or A6. Can we start one?
  • ruggyruggy Member Posts: 6
    what do you think of the car? thinking of getting one myself...........a8l fully loaded.........any opinions?
    what is a good site to see if you are getting a good deal on a lease? thanks....
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try this link: Lease Questions - Ask Here. Car_man will be very happy to help you figure out if you are being offered a good deal on any lease of any vehicle.

Then come back here and let us know how it goes.
    THANKS.............CHECKING IT OUT NOW
    thanks very much...very helpful. car man got right back to me........
    Nobody has bought a loaded a8 recently? Any deals to post here? Any rebates/incentives? How much under/over invoice? What is a good deal for an audi A8 loaded relative to invoice?
    Do tell us what you are going to do and how it works out ...
    Best I see so far is INVOICE plus 413 pid on a8L or A8
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Each dealership is different depending on where they're at and what kind of stock they have. But it's rare that many Audi dealers will have more than a couple A8s on the lot at any time. Many are special ordered so the customer gets exactly what they want. You may get a little off sticker, but don't expect to offer an Audi dealer a few hundred dollars over invoice on a 80,000 car.

You might get a good deal at the end of the year on a leftover car when the model year changes, or on a demo w. some miles on it. Most any high end car takes a hit on first year depreciation.

Some of the colors are very hard to find and in high demand. The Amaretto interior is absolutely gorgeous and many dealers won't budge off MSRP on those colors.
  • hawkeye1hawkeye1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 05 A8L Akoya Silver with Peweter interior for $500 over invoice or about 72K.
  • denaliinpadenaliinpa Member Posts: 169
    i also just purchased an Akoya Silver (short wheel base) with black interior. i didn't do quite as well as 500 over invoice. my deal was about 1600 over dealer invoice. the car is very well equipped...park distance, adaptive cruise, comfort and convince pkgs, and xm. so far the car is great. as for the post above about the 14000 dollar repair bill.....i seriously have my doubts. i saw this post on another bb and nobody

believed it their either. i was a MB buyer for about 5 years and also have had some BMW's. so far Audi has not disappointed. keep in mind that the A8 is a luxury/sport sedan. more emphasis on sport.
  • joelk01joelk01 Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2002 A8 with 30k miles. Car is still under new car warranty. The driver side front window cracked at the guide pin toward the front of the window. Clearly, all of the initial and subsequent cracks in the glass began at this guide pin. The service manager where I took the car for service looked at it and said there were no foreign objects that caused the crack - no impact from anything. He said it should be covered by warranty. The service director also agreed with the manager. I also got a copy of the invoice from another A8 owner where the same thing happened to him at 35,000 miles. Audi fixed that one under warranty. Nevertheless, in my case, Audi denied the warranty claim.

It is unbelievable to anyone seeing this window that the crack could have been caused by anthing other than a misaligned guide pin. Looks like it torqued the window slightly putting pressure on the guide pin. Even the fact that Audi couldnt definitively determine the cause, for the lousy $500 or so bucks, they should have eaten the cost. You dont treat A8 customers this way. Now, after all this grief and the knowledge that Audi doesnt stand behind their products, I will never own another Audi.

I owned a BMW 740 perviously, and I know I would have been treated better. Of course, Lexus would never have asked the question. If you want to retain luxury car customers, you have to treat them better. I like the car, but will never patronize Audi again.
  • chaf123chaf123 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '98 A8 w/ 80,000 miles and am having some transmission issues. It's not certified, so if I have to replace, I know it will jolt me. I get a "thunk" when going downhill either in cruise or not (that concerns me) and get what I think is fairly excessive downshifting when accelerating under 50 mph (that I can live with). I was curious about the symptoms you had before repacing the trans.
  • ejad74ejad74 Member Posts: 1
    So why pay thousands of dollars for repairs when you can purches extended warranty for less? 50.00 deduct. Just wanting to help.

Ejad74
  • rfliamrfliam Member Posts: 8
    2004 A8L MMI crashed while on a trip to California leaving the car in the full down suspension position making for a sporty but bumpy ride. With the MMI down the mapping system didn’t work or the radio along with all the other intergraded controls.

Bigger issue is no acceleration when the gas-pedal is pressed while moving at 20-60 mph resulting in coast mode for up to 100ft that then turns into full throttle acceleration for 100ft. Car also demonstrates this safety issue when accelerating from a stop at random intervals, at first no throttle response then sudden wide open throttle acceleration one time almost motoring over pedestrians.

Windshield wipers stop during the wiping process go to the park position then stop then start wiping again.

Fixing the MMI took couple days but the intermittent acceleration issue and wipers problem are in the loop of if we can’t duplicate the problem we won’t try fix it.

So you’re left with driving a car with safety issues.
  • sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    Most reliable of all vehicles. Hahahahaha.. Where did you get your info. from an Audi salesman of course.
    Well suspicious if a serial # will help abate your suspicions it’s WAUML44E54N006355. Just reporting what's happening so others can make informed purchases! And the saga continues at about 18,000 miles the air suspension rear sensor failed jacking the rear up in the air about a foot making the ride like a buckboard of yesteryear. I was informed that the failure is the result of something striking the sensor? My question of why what appears to be a frail under car suspension component was placed in a position that expose it to damage was answered with a $350 bill and the new part still hanging out in the breeze.

The previous mentioned intermittent acceleration issue and wipers problem still exist with the wipers stopping while operating in a snow storm. Previous interment problems that represented safety issue with other brands of automobiles were attacked by replacing the most likely parts causing the condition. Audi’s answer is drive it till it fails, you kill someone or you’re self. Great customer relations you kill off the customer or he goes to jail.

O well life is still fun at least for now!
    I question why anyone would spend top dollar for an Audi only to be treated indifferently by the service area. I own their flagship car, the A8, and yet Audi does not stand behind their warranty. They do not understand that someone paying over $70k for one of their cars expects to be treated well. That means understanding that the product extends beyond the car it sells. It also includes service, not by the dealer, but by Audi itself. Does the Ritz Carlton treat its customers like they are Holiday Inn customers? They give them a quality room, but when the customer calls for services, The Ritz Carlton provides those services. That way the customer keeps coming back for more.

I WILL NEVER OWN OR LEASE ANOTHER AUDI AGAIN. I ENCOURAGE ANYONE CONSIDERING A LUXURY CAR TO LOOK ELSEWHERE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED WITH AUDI SERVICE.
  • audiproblemaudiproblem Member Posts: 4
    I bought an A8 in July 05. Shortly after taking delivery I was on the freeway and the car began accelerating quickly even after the brakes were applied. Dealership said that perhaps I hit the cruise control or the manuel shifting pedals. It happen again about a week or two later. After testing at the dealership they proclaim no problem- that again i must have hit a button. 3 days ago it happened on the freeway with my wife driving by herself. Needless to say the event has dramatized her a great deal. The dealership has the car- and as far as I am concerned they can have it. Waiting to see the outcome. :
    I think that's a bit harsh to say that anybody who buys an A8 or an Audi will be treated badly. Maybe you had a bad experience, but you can't blanket a whole company like that.

You could probobly find multiple people that would never buy a Mercedes Benz or a BMW because of an isoloated bad experience.

A8 sales have doubled this past year, so Audi must be doing something right.

the dealer can make or break the relationship.

i also feel that their are some people who just

have unreasonable expectations and can't be pleased.

so far my Audi dealer has been great. they also sell BMW. great service when i had my BMW. even my local MB dealer is terrific. I'm sure to some people this is unbelievable and BS but it's true. so far...so good.
    I agree. There are 2 sides to every story.

Dealerships are under the gun to have high CSI and JD power scores, so a lot of places bend over backwards to make people happy.

You'll always have a few bad dealerships and people who treat you less than stellar. But in this competitive market we're in, that happens less and less.

People tend to forget how complex these high end cars are getting like the A8. With nav systems, air suspensions, and gizmos galore, it's all the more ethings can go wrong.

I've heard of more than a few buybacks and lemons on A8's when the MMI cars first came out. So there is some merit to complaints. But I think the 05's are better.
    I have found the 8L to be fabulous highway runner on back country highways like US 50 (The loneliest road) across Utah and Nevada. And US 60 west of Socorro NM to Phoenix both which are the finest of long distance western states trips 2,500 miles and 1,800 round-trip miles respectively from Colorado. Where most the time speeds in excess 90 mph can be sustained! Even with the car heavily load on one of the trips it yielded 23MPG avg. (including several speed limiter passes at 135 MPH). With 25 gallon fuel tank the car has easy 500+mile range for us strong kidney types!

However (there is always a however hahaha) I don’t think it as stated above
    “I also feel that their are some people who just have unreasonable expectations and can't be pleased.”
    unreasonable to expect the car not to suddenly accelerate with out the driver wanting it to! For us with memories Audi paid a dear price for denial of this in prior models which did result in a recall and injuries! Along with that issue gee I guess wanting the wipers to work when needed is an unreasonable request.

My attempt here at this Forum is to gain knowledge about these issues and not to bash Audi or flame others. Just to find solutions to dangerous issue in what is a fine road car.
    Thanks Guys
    Is it unreasonable to expect Audi to pay for a driver's side window that cracked at the guidepin, when the service manager and the service director at the dealership said that Audi should cover the expense as a warranty item? Both people agreed that there was no evidence of an outside object hitting the window. Likely explanation is that the window torqued somehow (manufacturer's defect) and twisted slightly at the guidepin, thus causing the window to crack. The car is an 02 model with 30,000 miles. Should have been a warranty item, but Audi fought it. Fine, for $600 they lost a future A8 customer. Is that a smart choice?

Another situation: Guy in my office has a new 04 A8. The bottom insert in the cupholder came out, so he took it in to be replaced under warranty. Audi refused to pay for the replacement. Why? He was told that there was evidence of moisture on the insert and this caused the adhesive to fail. The customer caused the moisture to be present. Therefore, not a manufacturer's defect. Remember, this is a cup holder. Liquids are in cups and condensation forms on cups. They made my friend pay the $50 for the replacement. After spending $75,000 for their flagship car, Audi made this guy pay for the insert. Guess what? Audi lost another customer.

Unreasonable? I dont think so. Angry? You bet I am.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    "For us with memories Audi paid a dear price for denial of this in prior models which did result in a recall and injuries!

Intesting since all of that was bunk and Audi was cleared of any defects. There were only drivers with their foot on the wrong pedal.

M
  • sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    Thats total bunk Merc, don't be another armchair Audi apologist for their inferior engineering of that dangerous dud 5000.
    Well, maybe we should get some references for our claims here.

This is one I just found: http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cjm_18.htm

But let's try not to get too sidetracked on that. Audi-related though it is, it's not really topical to the A8. This happened something like 17 years ago and if you continue to research it, you'll find that Audi addressed it with some design changes even though it was never clear they were at fault.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/18/automobiles/18warn.html?
    O by the way before the car got out of the dealership this time a bearing in the alternator failed, which was noted as operating properly on the RO after a request to inspect it. It’s been in the shop a week now. Total about 10 days since Aug. purchase. Still no resolution on the acceleration and wiper issues after 6 months.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Even though driving HWY.50 from Fallon, Nevada to Goshen,Utah (about 464 miles) must be the "mother of all road trips", I'm sure you are just talking about occasional bursts of speed to 90 mph+, the Nevada/Utah highway patrol must heavily cruise hwy. 50 regardless of the fact that there are basically only the towns of Ely and Delta between all that distance!
    Na I think the boys were up on I80 didn’t see a Patrol Car from Salina UT till Fallon. If you not tried Hwy.60 in NM-AZ it might at least be the 2nd mother LOL. A conversation with AZ Patrol Chap at the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction indicated (with a wink) that only 1 car operated between Show Low and the NM state line and NM was as lightly patrolled in NM most the way to Datil. These are roads this car lives for; handling is superb, road and wind noise almost non extent. However bring your CD stack only radio station is broadcast in Navajo. Hawaii 5 O my favorite for the little rougher spots which are few and far between.
    Life Is Good
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Pat,

That's a great article. I wish more articles like that were written. I'm so tired of so many people these days wanting to "cash in" on anything bad that happens to them, always blaming anyone but themselves.

Getting back to the A8, Joelk01, I agree that you weren't pampered by AOA, and for your money, they should have replaced the window without any haggling. It is my understanding that AOA now has placed a greater emphasis on trying to improve customer relations as well as to try to weed out the less esteemed dealerships and to try to compete more on par with Lexus in that category. Granted, we've got a long way to go!

Best wishes, all.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Read the article Pat posted, better yet research the issue yourself and you'll see that Audi was cleared of any defects or wrong doing. Simply put people were pressing the wrong pedals.

M
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    That is almost laughable to hear about driving 400~500 miles at a crack w/o eyeing Johnny Law! Here in Mpls, they are giving out "speeding" tickets crossing a bridge for driving 36 mph in a 30 zone!
    Go West my friend where the the back roads are still deserted and where drivers can stll enjoy the exuberant feeling of driving a motor car.
    Life Is good!
  • dickerdodickerdo Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    And thanks for the invitation. I am new to this Forum, but have a general question and would appreciate actual experience, as opposed to advice. (Sorry if this question has been posted before!) I purchased a 2005 A8L 6 months ago and love the car. I chose not to purchase the $1,000 Audi Cell phone and cradle package at the time. Now my company is offering a special "free" package consisting of the Motorola v60s phone. If I buy the cradle, (approximately $295), from Audi, is there any reason to suspect the Moto phone won't work in the system?
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I believe that the 2006 A8 will get the new grille. Any other changes that anyone knows of? I believe it's supposed to be out in May; does that sound right?
    The new 06 will not be out in May. They should start building them around that time at the factory. It'll be 3-4 months after that when they hit dealerships.
    Audi is going to offer Bang Olfsun(sp) as an option.
    also there is going to be 3 other choices for radio
    options. i would think that the S8 is just around
    the corner. hopefully it will be available soon.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    i have been test driving a phaeton but not happy with it.
    nor with the s class or beemer 7 or 6 because of their recent poor reliability and complicated electronics.
    the phaeton i passed on because of poor handling in back roads.

now,i saw the new short wheelbase audi a8 a few days ago.no test ride as yet.pending answers on reliability.

the interior is almost superior to theta of the phaeton which is ,short of the old bentleys,the nicest interior out there.

my question to you guys ...........
    how reliable is the a8

how good a handler on back roads?

any addl,input is welcomed

thank you ffb

oh yes ,also looked at the new m35 m45 from infinity. one of my cars is an fx 35 and it is just a vette with an suv body.great but tiresome on long trips which i do a lot as i commute between fl. ct and vt.

i may go this way but not too convinced by the shape of the new m series.
    i purchased a swb A8 in december of last year.
    i wanted the width of a full size car but not the
    added length that came with the L version. the
    rear seat still has plenty of room for 99% of the
    population. the MB S was too long ...the E and 5's too narrow...
    ...the LS is for old men and the 7's styling not for me.
    the A8 handles great. the suspension
    can be adjusted firmer/softer or left alone for the cars computer
    to decide how to dampen it. when it comes to
    comparing it to the other cars in the class i have
    only driven S's, 7's and the LS430. it is firmer than
    the LS and S and very similiar to the 7. the car is
    exciting to drive. plenty of power and enjoyable
    on twisty roads while at the same time having
    plenty of luxury to relax in. plus an added benefit
    is that when it's parked....it's nice to look at!
  • audios2audios2 Member Posts: 1
    I am on the waiting list for the new 2006 A8 short wheel base, and my dealer also said that the car would be getting the trapezoidal grill similar to the new 2005 A6. He never mentioned anything about the back appearance. I have driven Audis since 1986 and love the car. I have had the 4000, 90, 90cs, A4, A6, and am currently driving an A6 2.7T. I wish they would come up with some new colors, though, since I have had about every color I like.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Just found the RT article, comparison of luxury sedans, and immediately read it. If I wind up getting an A8, Audi should send RT a royalty. I think of myself of being an independent decision maker, and will be in this decision, but the article so perfectly expressed my own feelings of the cars that it's got me all juiced up about moving forward with an A8. It's my favorite of the luxury cars, and the article voiced my opinions perfectly.

For those of who haven't read it, the article rates the A8L just behind the 745Li, and ahead of XJ8L, Phanteon, and S500, in that order. But the authors each picked the car they'd want; 1 picked the Jag and every other picked the A8. The rating system is just very skewered toward handling and "racing", that the BMW won those categories and therefore the overall rating. But when you looked at the words in the article, even aside from the authors personal choices, the A8 was the best spoken of by far. Go Audi!
  • dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    I also read it and could not have agreed with you more. Every since I saw it on a website back in 2003, I've known that this will be my car someday. Beautiful exterior and incredible interior. I currently drive an A6 and hope to upgrade to an A8 in the next 20 months.
  • jmjinnjjmjinnj Member Posts: 15
    For some reason I also like A8 so much. I see so many MBs, BMWs. But I hardly see A8s on the road. That is all the more reason to get this car. Beautiful to drive. Luxurious interior. And wonderful looking from outside. :)
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Although it's more than two years later, and you know that the base A8 SWB only costs $67K, I'm just making sure you know. You'll never get to see this, though... The A8L starts at $69K, and both BMWs are about $4K more.
    Wow- you're making a big step up from your A6 2.7T. I recently traded mine in, and we're waiting for a Sprint Blue S4 Cabriolet, at about $60,600; to come next week. It's absolutely gorgeous- I was thinking of a 2005 A6 4.2 or S4 sedan, but after I drove the S4 Cabriolet and saw the looks of envy and admiration from others, I knew there was nowhere else to go. The V8 is one of the creamiest and most beautiful Audi has ever made, the interior is perfect and the piping on the seats have a great touch, the NAV is very easy to use (no MMI, but it has a commanding knob next to the screen), and it's just one of the most beautiful modern convertibles on the road. My son goes with me to places whenever he can, and is a gear head, and he helped me on the decision. I could've been getting a Silver A6 4.2 if it wasn't for him, and I'm thankful... I can't wait!
    I just cannot believe this: So many people are having problems with their A8s, and while I don't have an A8, the worst I had on my prior Audi ('00 A6 2.7T) was that the headlight washer caps came off when they were opening in a high intensity storm! I'm about to own a brand new Sprint Blue S4 Cabriolet (coming next week), and I don't think it'll have any significant defects. I think this is all about '04 A8s, and this was Audi's first crack at a hugely technological car, and maybe they missed a few. The 2005 and upcoming facelifted 2006, however, are supposed to be better. They just weren't experienced at a single computer controlling many functions of the car, and came out with a few firey customers. If I have a problem with my Audi, I'll just remember this: No other car company, no matter how well-known or luxurious or expensive, can ever have the coolness, the exclusivity, the fullness, the intellegence, the smart luxury, or the world-class style of an Audi. You just wouldn't feel good driving another car after having an Audi, believe me. And I'm not just some Audi salesguy, BMWs give me headaches when I ride in them!
  • stefanxkrstefanxkr Member Posts: 3
    Sorry "Jack", but I believe the benefit of the doubt goes the car owner and not with the dealer or manufacturer. :lemon:

:shades: Nobody makes these stories up just like you didn't make up your happy story. Seems as though AUDI HAS WAY TOO MANY unhappy stories posted for a make trying to get its name up there established with the big boys. You have dissuaded me! I was going to plunk down my $$$ tomorrow and I had already been warned by my European friends to watch out for the Audi 0000 screw job. Seeing these sad anecdotes makes me run. Add to this the disinterested attitude of the Audi sales staff encountered in trying to buy a car through several of their major dealers... I say forget it ! let me check out the latest JD Powers survey and Consumers Union data to determine which car to buy. Tell Audi to do a reality check or their shiny new facilities are going to go under for lack of sales! :shades:
  • stefanxkrstefanxkr Member Posts: 3
    You just keep that "coolness" :shades: in mind as you have your $65,000 tied up in something with tech problems because its' their first attempt at something. better you than me! Good luck Bubba!
This discussion has been closed.