Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• mjr1477mjr1477 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone noticed with their '99 Grand Ams, that the gas tank guage light comes on and the guage says empty when the tank still has a good 2 gallons left. The most I've dared waited to put gas in my car after the light went on, was after about 50 miles, and I still could only put in about 13.5 gallons, and it has a 15 gallon tank. I guess I would wait to fill it up, but that stupid chime everytime you start up gets annoying very quick.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I have had the same experience with gas. When the low fuel light came on the first time I panicked. Then I realized there was a lot of gas left in the tank when I went to refuel. I guess it's better to have the light come on too early than too late. I have to agree that the chime is annoying.

I have not had any leak problems on my 1999 GT that I bought 1 1/2 months ago. But I have seen many posts regarding cars with this problem.
  • dunn3dunn3 Member Posts: 29
    I Purchased a used 94 Grand AM SE Coupe. Just wondering if the seats are working corectly. The Passenger seat doesn't lock (and the manual says that it will in an accident). Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

PS By not locking I mean that the upper part of the seat can be pushed forward with your hand (without resorting to pulling the little lever on the side-unlike in every other non GM car I've seen-so is this a GM thing, or is the seat messed up?)
  • mantamanta Member Posts: 4
    The gauge is engineered to have gas left in it when you're at empty. The little ding is mildly annoying, but it's to warn you when you need to fill up - not that your tank is empty. One is acutely aware when that happens; no "pings" are necessary. Perhaps GM should allow you to disable the alarm if it bugs you, perhaps they do! (haven't looked at manual about this).

Trying to convince my wife that we have plenty of gas when that thing goes off is my next challenge. I've been rather unsuccessful, although she allows me to keep driving when there is a quarter of a tank left...so I'm making a bit of progress. (She's from a family of chronic re-fillers, I'm from a family of Kramer-style fillers)
  • szerfasszerfas Member Posts: 53
    I have not run my GrandAm down to the point that the chime has gone off or the light has come on. The light is a good idea but I would find the chime annoying.

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he warned me that it is not very good for your car to get too low on fuel. I guess that this can lead to some dirt or grit in your tank going through your fuel system.

Happy Motoring All,
    Stephen
  • aam1aam1 Member Posts: 26
    Hi Guys:

Just wanted to fill y'all up with my experience with my 99 Grand Am GT1. The car has about 2700 miles on it and I have had to take it back to the dealership once to have a couple of things looked at.

1. The brakes were groaning and grinding when the the car was at a downhill incline and I applied the brakes halfway. They were grinding when the car was on the level and I partly applied the brakes. Well, the dealer had a look at them, told me that this is the way the brakes behave. Told me some story about Grand Am brakes being non-asbestos. Anyways, the problem was not solved. Would appreciate if someone would fill me in if they have had similar problems with their brakes and if they were corrected.

2. The steering wheel was slightly offset. They corrected that one by realigning the wheels.

3. The driver side mirror flickers if I try to adjust it after some time of inactivity. Dealer supposedly had a look at it, told me there was nothing wrong with it and the mirror still flickers!!!!

Other than the above, nothing to report. Grand Am is a real fun car to drive. Have not had any problems with water leaking into the passenger compartment or anything else. Gas mileage is still pretty low @ 20-22 mpg (but I use aircon a lot).

One question though, the maual says that the tire pressure should be 30kpa all around. Is that the right pressure or should I be trying something different?

We all have a great car. I love mine!!!!!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    dunn 3, the seat not locking is normal. If you want to test it, push it forward quickly to see if it locks. I have a 95 SE Coupe and went through the same questions when it was new as you are now.
  • dunn3dunn3 Member Posts: 29
    :)
  • avs007avs007 Member Posts: 100
    Yep, the light and the chime come on early... My 95 Grand Am doesn't have these features, but my 98 GTP does... My low fuel light comes on, when the guage reads close to E... My chime goes off, when range gets below 40 miles...

When the chime goes off, I set the trip computer to fuel used, then I ignore the gas guage... When necessary I let the computer read 15.5 gallons used before I fill-er up... The pump usually pumps in 15.5 to 15.8 gallons... The gas guage is also like a half inch below the E !!!!

Supposed feature to allow for a gas resevoir... Either that or GM doesn't want to have to deliver too much gas in its Free Roadside Assistance :)
  • peepleaterpeepleater Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 99SE since 6/98, w/ 31,000+ miles now. I have had to return it to the dealer 4 times related to brakes/rotors and once for radio display disappearing. They turned rotors, put on new rotors, turned rotors again. I'm almost out of warranty and fighting with them to find the real problem. Any suggestions? I did the break-in period appropriately. Grinding, rough stopping and steering wheel vibrations approx. every 7-10K miles. Anyone else with brake problems?

Otherwise, I LOVE my car. Not the best fuel, but zippy. No problems with water leaking or door panel. Great in rain and snow. Good handling. Good pickup (4 cyc. too!).
    Your brake problems seem to be typical for this model. I've heard all the excuses from dealers. I believe that this model is just hard on front brakes, probably since almost all of the braking is in the front. Also, without manual trans, little engine braking is possible. By the way, I just read in Car and Driver that the 5 speed manual is back for 2000, but not the mushy unit that was used previously. It is an Italian heavy duty unit that is also used in the Olds Alero. That may prompt me to buy a new Grand Am, but will need to try it out first.
    The rotor problem may due to the non-ventilated discs. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket replacement with ventilated discs?
    The rotor problem keeps recurring in my 95. I found it is almost just as easy to replace the rotors as it is to machine them, since they aren't very expensive (about $20 each, aftermarket) and they seem to last longer than if they are machined, probably because they are thicker and can withstand the heat better.
    In addition, make double sure the lugs aren't over tightened-that will definitely distort two piece front hub/rotor assemblies. 75 ft/lbs torque is usually adequate, check your manual or ask the dealer what is needed. Avoid shops that use air impact wrenches to torque your lugs. They can easily put 150 ft/lbs torque on them.
  • deboundsdebounds Member Posts: 9
    I bought a Grand AM SE I in 1/99. After many problems with the car including the rotor problem, Pontiac bought my car back. So, after test driving many other models with the same price range, I came back and bought another Grand Am SE. Maybe I am dumb, but I just love that car. So I guess I just better get used to the rotor problem now that I can see others are experiencing the same problem. My original car had other problems beside the braking issue which is why Pontiac agreed to buy back my car. The braking problem does still concern me. My problem with the brakes began at 12793 again at 17K and the day before I turned the car back, 25K, the steering wheel was pulsating. But, there really isn't another car like the Grand Am on the road. It is a fine looking car; handles very well, gets great gas mileage (V-6) and not too expensive to insure and there have been, so far, no rattles or vibrations coming from the dash which I can see is a problem on many of the American made cars that I test drove. I owed a 1992 Grand Am Se V-6 which gave me 232,000 virtually problem free miles. The only problem that I had with that car was that the alternator kept going bad and finally the problem wasn't the alternator at all but a short in the cluster. The problem was fixed and other than routine maintenance, it was a great car. I guess my decision to try again on the 1999 may not have been a good choice but, I am willing to try because of how much I really do like the car exclusive of the rotor issue. The question about the "ventilation" of the disc brakes. Is that possible. Any mechanics out there that can address that suggestion?
    The front rotors are vented... In fact the only car I've ever seen with non-vented front rotors was the 4 cylinder Z3...

Your problem, is most likely a crappy rotor... I think GM is pretty famous for sticking the rotors on at the factory from the bargain bin...

I would opt for DuraStop Rotors if you wanna stay GM... Otherwise go with some other brand...
  • bfoster1bfoster1 Member Posts: 1
    I don't want anybody to get mad at me but I just would like to know id the Grand Am is a front wheel drive car or not. My father-in-law says that all front wheel drive cars are bad and I just would like to know what your experiences were. My mother owns a 1993 Se.
    The Grand Am is indeed FWD... My Grand Am, and my GTP are both FWD, and I think they are fine... Bad in what respect? If you were autocrossing or something, maybe I can agree with it, but in most driving situations, I find FWD do be just fine, if not superior to RWD, especially when it comes to the winter months.... Let me tell you... My GTP is WORLDS easier to drive/handle in the rain/snow than my Chevelle-SS
  • mezrocmezroc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Pontiac Grand Am now that I am pondering dropping because of the repair work that is going into it. Being approached by a Sales person he is telling me that the 2001 4 Cylinder has the same Horse Power as the 1997 V6.
    Does anyone know of any major issues with the new 4 cylinder engine ?
    Any input would be an assistance
    I now have had my 99 Grand Am GT for almost 2 months and love it! However, I keep getting depressed with all the posts regarding problems people have encountered with the vehicle. Looking at the long term, are there any owners out there that have had their GA for over a year or driven 20K - 40K miles? What is your experience with the reliability to date?

Should I plan on trading this thing in when the warranty is up? Or will it be a car I can keep for awhile? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    AVS007, after reading your post last night, I went out and looked under the Pontiac and your right-the rotors are ventilated. Must have gotten it confused with something else.
    I havn't had any more rotor problems since going aftermarket, but I do keep my eye on the pads more now. Under some conditions, the pedal will fluctuate, but I attributed this to the anti-lock system.
  • mjr1477mjr1477 Member Posts: 6
    I'm wondering if anyone knows something about this. I want to improve my stereo system in my Grand Am. That doesn't void any warranty or anything does it? And even trading it in sometime, will dealers take a car with aftermarket stereo stuff in it? One more thing, how does one get to the back of the Grand Am's CD player. I can't find any screw holes to try and remove any of the dash.
    Thanks to AV007. I will ask the Dealer about replacing the rotors with "DuraStop" You said they are a GM product? You know how important it is to use GM products and have them installed by "Mr. Goodwrench"!!!!!!!!!! After my warranty, I can choose another Brand. During the warranty period I am limited to GM parts. I wonder why no other GM cars are experiencing this rotor problem. I was figuring it was the newly designed braking system for the 1999 Grand Am.
    There are two types of DuraStops..

The standard, and the CrossDrilled/Slotted...

Which are you going to get? (I would opt for the CrossDrilled/Slotted :)

Anyways, DuraStops, are made my AC/Delco... They are in the AC/Delco Performance Catalog at the dealer...
    Trust me plenty of GM vehicles are having trouble with their brakes. My Father is having issues his 95 LeSabre. My girlfriends Malibu brakes pulse quite a bit and it is only 1 year old. GM needs to go to school on brakes. Someone at GM needs to discover that making micro thins rotors is a bad idea.

Best of Lucks on the Brakes. I will be curious to hear what you go with.

Stephen
  • jsillsjsills Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 99 Grand Am SE w/ V6 6 weeks ago, and overall I love this thing! I do enjoy the way it handles... especially when I need to blast around that big truck on the freeway! And I think those red lights in the dash are awesome! Got a great deal, and a 60/75K warranty for $655.

One problem... The first time I took it on a wet rainy road, I could swear the rear right door was ajar. The sound of the wet road just seemed a bit noisy to me, but perhaps I was just hearing things. It did look to me as if the rubber molding around the door was not placed as well as on the opposite side, so I decided to take it back to the dealer. After their inspection they said the right rear door alignment was off, so they realigned it. There was a visible difference in the way the molding fit now, but alas the sound still persists. Am I going crazy? Anyone else had this problem? I have checked for leaks... (it is POURING here in SE Michigan today), and I see no water anywhere, which I guess is good. When traveling at high speed, it was less noticeable (I'm guessing that other general road noise is blocking it out??) If you had this wet-road noise problem, please respond! BTW, I don't notice any excess noise on a dry road.

On the GREAT side, I just took the car on a long road trip... approx 1200 miles total... and got 31.5 MPG! How is that possible? The rating is 20/28 for this car w/this engine. Needless to say I was thrilled, and trust me I checked my math a half-dozen times (368 miles, 11.661 gallons). Have been getting about 23-24 in town.

Later, all!
    JS
    I have noticed wind and rain noise coming from the right rear of the car and thought that the door was ajar or the window was slightly open. It's just the sound it makes and it seems to be coming from behind the right rear door area (maybe wheel well). I've learned to ignore it or turn up the stereo. I'm not happy with the overall road and wind noise in my 1999 Grand Am GT, but that is one of very few things I'm not happy about. Basically I love almost everything about this vehicle!

I haven't got more than 23-24 mpg no matter what kind of driving I do. 30 mpg does not seem possible. Mine never varies more than 3 mpg from tank to tank.
    Thanks AVS007. I called the Dealer and spoke to the parts department. They told me yes about the DuraStop but did not mention that there were two types. I am not ready for rotors yet. But I will specifically ask for the cross drilled slotted when the time comes for them. I was also told that GM approved them for warranty replacement in addition to the stock standard rotors that GM uses. It is really a sad story when you have to ask for the higher quality.
    Also, for those questions about the gas mileage. I use my car for business. I live in No. California in the Bay Area and travel the freeways here. My gas mileage averages about 31 MPG when not in commuter traffic and about 25 when in commuter traffic.
    Also, there IS a slight rushing wind noise that is pretty standard in the Grand Am but my experience is that it is coming from the front and not the back. I have driven many other Grand Ams when my car was in for repair at the Dealer and I found this problem to exist in all the other ones that I have driven. As I mentioned earlier, Pontiac bought back my original 1999 Grand AM SEI and I opted to purchase another one. I just can't help it, I love the Grand AM even with its assorted problems. The repair department at the Dealer and I are on first name basis! On my brand new SEI I had the dash replaced after four days!!! The service department had a devil of a time installing that!!! When I picked up my car after they had it for two whole days, the steering wheel was goofed up so back to the Dealer tomorrow! Nonetheless, there is just something about that Grand AM that has charisma. And to think that I almost bought a Buick Regal instead!
    Having been a Grand Am owner for 5 years now, I would have opted for the Regal. I havn't had any problems with the Pontiac except front brakes (seems typical) and front tire wear. But the rubber parts and fake chrome are not holding up well, the plastic front and rear bumpers are starting to discolor and the interior is getting loose and noisy. I have almost 50,000 miles of mixed driving. Gas milage is very good (Quad 4 engine), sometimes as high as 34mpg highway.
    I'm considering a Buick Century now, because a Century Custom comes loaded for about the same price as a well optioned Grand Am.
    I guess overall I'm happy with the Pontiac, but I doubt if I will buy another Grand Am.
    It isreally a sad story when you have to ask for thehigher quality.

You won't hear any complaints from me, when the "higher performance", CrossDrilled n' Slotted Rotors are approved for warranty replacement. Even if you just pay for the diff, I think its pretty cool... :)

Now only if you can convince the dealer to install the 12" rotors.....
    I meant convince the dealer to install "oversized" rotors as opposed to the stock size... I didn't mean to infer that the dealer wouldn't install them for you...

Some will... One of my friend had the dealer install 12" rotors from the intrigue, (autobahn package), onto his GP...

Just note, that if you install 12" rotors on the front, your temp spare wont fit anymore, because the brakes won't fit in the 15" wheel. Some say if you go flat on the front, you wouldn't want a donut on the front, so the recommend puting the donut on the back, and move a goodtire forward... If its too tedious, you can prob check the price for a donut from an intrigue with the autobahn package...

If going for 12" rotors tho, I would just get 12" CrossDrilled Slotted DuraStops, (or your fav brand), instead of plane jane rotors from an intrigue...
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I chose a Grand Am (my other possibililty was a Cougar) partly because you see SO MANY of them on the road from every production year. There must be a good reason for that! It will be interesting to see if all these Cougars are still on the road in 5 years....

Peace!
    JS
    Hey jsills,

My GrandAm is configured like yours. Mine if just coming on 4 months old. I know exactly what you are talking about with the noise that you can only hear when it is raining. I first experienced that and I thought that the window was down. I thought sure with that noise there was a bad seal or something. Yet the car is as quiet can be on no rain days at ANY highway speed. I have had this already is some absolutly terrible rain storm and not a drop of water leaks into the car anywhere. I just chalked it up to oddity with the design. As long as it keeps me dry I am happy.

I have not taken mine on quite that long of a trip but on one occasion I have gotten as high as 29 mpg so your 31 deffinetly sounds possible. I think if I take mine on a long trip it should be able to get the same numbers. Mine too is the SE with the V6.

It really seems to be a great car. My only concern right now with it the long run it sqeaks and rattles with the interior trim. The interior trim just does not feel that solid in some places.

Happy Driving,
    Stephen
    Burdawg....There is absolutely no way I would have been happy with the Regal. The cluster vibrated every time the car went over a bump in the road. I drove three Regals and they all did the same thing. Those cars cost too much money to have cheap material that vibrates. I can't stand vibrations, rattles, squeaks and the like. The Grand AM is the only car that I have not had those issues with (at least not yet). The car is pretty solid. Although since the Dealer replaced my dash on my three day old car, I have noticed that there are some noises that were not there before. I should have left the dash alone as the problem wasn't really noticeable. Oh well, live and learn.
    AV007...I can't wait to have my rotors replaced!!Ha! Ha! I figure around 10 to 12K is when the rotors will begin to have a problem. I only have 1100 miles on my replacement Grand AM. The Dealer will want to machine them, of course. But, they are really sick of seeing me and I think they'd give me whatever I want to get rid of me!!!! When I ask the Dealer to use the DuraStop they are going to wonder where I got my information to even ask for such an item!!! How do you know about those DuraStops?
    One more thing Burdawg...what fake "chrome" are you talking about on the Grand AM? If you've had Grand AM for 5 years, that means it is like a 1993 or 1994? I don't recall any chrome, fake or real, on my 1992. I'd go look at it but I gave it to my daughter and she now lives in So. California.
    Boy, you must not travel alot with 50K on a 5 year old car!!!
    You are right about the Century. The Dealer did not have one on the lot for me to drive. But they are a step lower than the Regal (I was told by the Dealer)
  • verndvernd Member Posts: 3
    I took my car into a Pontiac Dealer (not the one I bought my car from) at 7100 miles for the front rotors. I expected a hassle but, the dealer turned the rotors and the steering wheel shake is gone. I hope that this is not a recurring problem every 5k to 7k as some people are saying. Has anyone tried to contact GM directly about the brake problem? If so, what was their answer? I love my GA and hope to have it past 100k miles. This is only my second new "American Car" out of 5 new cars that I have purchased. Since 1994 I have bought "American" and have been more than happy with my choices. All of my Japanese vehicles that I have had went 100k plus with no problems. I hope that problems with my GA don't make me regret buying American.
    Thanks for assuring my that I'm not going crazy, szerfas. I have to add that the way it handles in that pouring rain (as I experienced again tonight) more than makes up for that sound I hear. I'll get used to it!
  • karnkarn Member Posts: 8
    for awhile now, i've noticed that my steering wheel seemed off center, but there has never been any rhyme or reasoning to it...some days its off others its not. now, every so often its been shaking. but while cleaning the interior out just recently, i noticed that the steering wheel doesn't "lock" when the car is parked & turned off. isn't it supposed to????
    I first saw an ad for it in MT magazine... It showed the DuraStop camfer Cross Drilled and slotted rotor. It said it was available for most GM cars... So I looked at AC-Delco's homepage... And I found it... It didn't show a listing for many cars... I figured if it was available for a Lumina and a Buick Century, why the heck not for a GTP or Grand Am? Well, the answer was simple... The caption, said sample applications... A call to the dealer led to the correct part number for the specific application....
    Perhaps they are talking about the chromish color trim that runs under the trunklid, and runs around the bumper on the rear of the car... I remember earlier Grand Ams had this trim piece... Tho my 95' Grand Am doesn't have it... If I remember correctly, I think only the 92's and 93's had them...
  • martha10martha10 Member Posts: 6
    I wish I would have found this listing before I bought my 99 Grand Am SE2. I have/had every problem: paint chips, poor steering, brake problems, leaking door, transmission slipping, powerlocks not functioning, poor gas mileage and as of yesterday the windshield developed a crack (no rock hit it) and I have yet to reach 5000Km.

The steering is the worst part as I drove through the country a lot and it seems I have no control over where the tires want to go.

Back to the dealer tomorrow....again.
    The fake chrome I was talking about is bumper trim and it's on the front and rear bumper. The rubber parts weathering quickly are around the windows, but not the weatherstripping. Don't get me wrong, the Pontiac has been a reliable car, and we plan to keep it and maintain it for some time. It's a 95 SE Coupe with 4 cyl. But it's also a cheap car, with a lot of hard plastic interior parts that make noise. I've looked at newer models and the interior is a lot better, and seems to be of higher quality. Also, after 95 they did away with those knee bruising A/C vents on the sides. The mileage is 49,800, most of it around town. Just changed the trans fluid last weekend. Other than oil changes every 3,000 that's all thats been done. It's not a great car to take on long trips because the seats leave something to be desired, but it drives well and has good power if you drive it right.
    We originally bought the car for my wife, but now my daughter uses it when she's home from college.
    If I was buying today, I would lean toward the Buick Century, because I still feel it's a better deal at this point.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    On our 99 Grand Am SE, when you have the ignition set to ACC, in addition to radio power, etc., three or four of the warning lights on the dash come on. Is this what everyone's does? I have never had a vehicle that did this.
    That's because you put the key in the "run" position, not the ACC position... Turn the key counterclockwise to put it in ACC...

You must be used to the japanese cars, where ACC is in between lock and run.... GM puts ACC counterclockwise of Lock, and run clockwise of Lock.
    You cannot turn the key counterclockwise in an 99Grand AM. The only options are to go right:
    off, ACC, on , Start.

and yes when the ignition is set to ACC, in addition to radio power, etc., three or four of the warning lights on the dash come on.
    Anyone out there with a 99 GrandAM SE that has variable effort steering with 16inch rims and p225/50 tires? I'm having problems with steering and the service dept recommended replacing my wheel configuration with 15" rim and higher profile tire.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    So I guess that's normal behavior then? I've never had a car where the dash lights come on when the accessory power is on, only when you have the key in run.

And me used to Japanese cars? Are you kidding? I drive a Silverado Z71! :) I wouldn't be caught dead in a rice burner!
    You learn something new everyday :) I just figured since my 98' GTP and 95 Grand Am, as well as my friends '00 GTP have the ignition function the way I described, I assumed the '99 Grand Am was the same... Oh well :) I must say tho... If the dash lights come on with ACC power, somebody at GM must have been sleeping during the design process :)
    Hey Martha10:

Mine does that too with the dash lights when the key is in the ACC position. I thought that was a little weird too with the lights. I wish that it did not do that.

The ignition in the 99 GrandAm's are Japanese style in respect to how the key turns. My Buick was not like that, it was the more traditional for GM turn in reverse. It probably has something do with the fact that it is dash instead of column mounted.

Mine is a 99 SE with the variable effort. I am not 100% sure on the tires but I think that they are the 15"s. I will take a look this evening. Steering seems to work fine other then that wonderful torque steer.

Have a good one,
    Stephen
  • shiershier Member Posts: 3
    I own a 99 Grand Am GT and I have no problems with steering. (My brother has no problems either with his GT). If you are having problems with steering don't change the wheel size to a smaller size rim and higher profile on the tire. This is the setup on the base car. Your current setup will offer superior handling ect. If your current dealer can not solve the problem ask the dealer to contact GM service to solve the problem.
    I have a 99 Grand Am GT and the steering is awesome. I don't think I have even brought it to its limits either. It's only 2 months old so I don't want to beat it up yet.

Anybody out there with a Grand Am with 20K + miles who can say how these 1999 cars GA's have been holding up?
    Martha: If you are having all those problems, you need to speak with the District Rep for Pontiac. Ask the Dealer to have that Rep contact you (the Dealer will not give out the phone number for the District Rep so you have to ask to be contacted!!!). The paint chips are normal, however. Just being on the road opens you up to rock chips. As for the windshield, your car could have been parked with you away from it when the damage occurred. Anything could have caused a cracked windshield e.g. an 18 wheeler driving by; vandals, etc. You don't have to be IN your car when a windshield crack occurs!! OR, like what happened to me. I had had a rock hit my windshield one day with no IMMEDIATE damage; then a few days later, there it was a crack right there where the rock had hit it earlier in the week. Good luck!