Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I just cam back from Autozone with an oil filter for the 2.2 Ecotech. The only brand they had was an STP model for $3.49. According to their website AC delco has one, but it wasn't available.

Their parts computer does not yet have information for 2002 grand ams or aleros, so you need to look under the Saturn L series.
  • taskmastertaskmaster Member Posts: 9
    Do all of the GM mid-size models use the same power steering pump and steering rack? I have driven a Malibu, Grand Am and the Alero.

The Malibu and Alero have a stiffer feel, which I do not like, and the Gran Am has a lighter feel which I prefer. I also noticed these differences in the Cavalier and Sunfire which I thought use the same components.

I prefer the Malibu but not if I have to struggle with the steering. Anybody know technically what's going on and what can be modified, etc?
  • the_art_guythe_art_guy Member Posts: 61
    My turn signal has been acting up and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. I have a 2000 Grand Am SE v6.

It seems to be totally random, though it does seem to happen more often right after I use the turn signal. I will hear the same clicking noise that you hear when you use the turn signal, but it will be at a faster rate and then will stop after a few "clicks." The signal itself does not come on when this happens, just the clicking noise. The randomness is what is strange, I can be driving down the road not having used my turn signal for a while and all of a sudden I will hear the clicking noise and then it will be gone.

I first experienced this problem about 2 months ago, but then it never happened again until a few days ago. And now it has happened at least once every time I drive the car.

Perhaps this is just a malfunction in the turn signal system? I don't know, I'm not a mechanic. but the randomness is what bothers me, it will occur if I use the L or R signal, whether the car is warm or cold, stopped or moving, it doesn't seem to matter. Any help would be appreciated.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Sounds like the combination switch, which I myself and other posters have commented about in the past. Also check your brake lights, emergency flashers, and high beams. They may or may not be also affected. In case your not familiar with it, the combination switch is the part that the turn signal handle actuates inside the steering column. I've had to have it replaced in our 95GA and have personal knowledge of the same problem in a 99GA and a 2000 Alero.
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of purchasing a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 to use as a second vehicle. Currently I have a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT and I am looking forward to the purchase of the Pontiac. With the use of the GM discount, 5.9% for 60 months and $2002 cash back, I just couldn't pass up this offer so I decided to take the plunge!

The MSRP for my vehicle is $23,720 ($100 price increase added for models built after December 2001). It was a toss-up in color, but after careful consideration, I chose the Galaxy Silver Metallic over the Black with the graphite leather interior (Solid Value Package). Additionally, the vehicle was just delivered to the dealership this past Monday and has 4 miles on it, I am scheduled to take delivery this Friday!

Since all of you are current owners of Grand Am's, I was wondering if you could please tell me if there's any mechanical issues/concerns that I should be aware of?? What (if any) problems exist that I should be aware of? Please feel free to e-mail me or post a message to this board.

Thanks in Advance!

Dennis D.

IExplore2000@aol.com
    burdawg,

Thanks for the information. My lights all work fine, the only problem is the turn signal clicking noise. You said you had yours replaced. How much does it cost to replace and is is something that I could do myself to save $$$? Where would I be able to buy the combo switch?

Thanks again.
    I remember on the 95 GA it started out being intermittent high beams, then the turn signals and brake lights wouldn't be reliable. All of these circuits are affected by the switch along with the hazard flashers as I found out later. The car is used by my daughter at college so I had her take it to the local dealer for repair. I believe it was about $135, the switch being about $85 and the rest labor. Check out www.auto-parts-for-less.com for price on the switch. I don't know if I would tackle this job without a factory manual-the air bag may have to be de-activated. The other cars were a co-worker and neighbor, I'm not familiar with how they repaired theirs.
  • joshuadjoshuad Member Posts: 5
    I had the same thing happen once right before my rear turn signal bulb burned out. The bulbs provide resistance to the electrical system. When one of them burns out, there's one less resistor, so the blinker blinks quicker. It's a pretty ingenious way to let you know your bulb has burned out. It could be moisture on the connection or a bad switch, but if you want a cheap way to check it, and if you are comfortable pulling out your taillight assembly, simply replace the bulbs and see if that makes the problem go away.
  • hargraveshargraves Member Posts: 1
    to artguy - I take my 00 GT1 to a soft cloth, full service car wash; just a preference in cold weather. However, I have a related question for you. I have noticed water in the engine compartment after automatic car washes & I am assuming it's entering through the Ram Air ducts. Now, either from recycled water at the car wash and/or road salt spray from highway traffic, I have what appears to be road salt crust settling on the alternator, hoses, spark plug wires, etc. Over time, the corrosive nature of this is bound to have some long terms affects. Are you noticing any thing similar???

A Service Tech at my usual Pontiac dealer said it looks as if my car as been in Florida for a while. The car was purchased new from this dealer in April 01, I live in KY so we don't get much snow, the car has never been south of the Mason-Dixon line, east of the Appalachian Mountains - thus my conclusions about salt spray or recycled water.
  • nab00nab00 Member Posts: 6
    Hey everyone,
    I recently drove a GT V6 and I really liked it. It really surprised me. What I am here for is to find out any problems with this model year. I have heard of problems with 92-94's and the newest models. Any info would be great. Just e-mail it to me at NABDaMan316@Yahoo.com

Thanks.
    hargraves,
    I don't have the GT model, I have a 2000 SE. I have to say that I haven't noticed any road salt when I look under the hood, perhaps this is because I don't have the RamAir. All I ever notice is general dirt and dust, nothing worse than that.

Abour car washes, I have discovered a place that hand washes the car and then runs it through water jets and a dryer to finish it off. It's great because it's only about $8 for the basic wash and it's all done by hand. Now the only think I wonder about is what kind of towels they use to wash it with.

I only get mine washed once every few weeks during cold weather, as soon as it's warm enough I'll be doing it myself!

Just an update, I havn't been experiencing the turn signal clicking in the last few days.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Anybody out there replace their stock exhaust system with a perfomance one yet? I was looking on the internet and they have two systems, a Borla and one other I can't remember the name of. I was curious how loud the exhaust becomes with these performance systems. Am I going to wake up my neighbors when I start up my GT? How much HP increase can I expect or do I need to have other mods first? I already have a drop in K&N filter. Will only performance garages install these types of exhaust systems or can I get it done at a place like Pep Boys? How about emissions - will it make me fail inspection in NJ, where they just started a new strict emissions testing system?

Any experience with the exhaust systems would be appreciated.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Hey, Grand Am owners--I have a question for you. How old are you guys? The reason I ask is that we are looking for a new car. With 3 kids--but we have a mini van for family hauling, so this car will almost never have to haul them all around--we need to look at mid size sedans. Decent Accords and Camrys are a little more than what we want to pay--plus a little boring to look at. We want to max out in the 16's if possible. For that kind of money, we could get a pretty basic Galant, 626, Sonata, or a base, base Accord. None of those cars exactly scream "Excitement!" I noticed my local Pontiac dealer advertising Grand Ams at $3202 below MSRP. A Grand Am SE1 has everything we need--power windows/locks/mirrors, keyless, cruise, CD, air, etc.--you now what it has. At about $20,000 MSRP, they will sell for about $16,800, or in the ball park. My question is, my wife and I are 30 and 32. I am afraid we would look out of place in the car--with it's cladding and spoilers and all. Is it made for younger people? Also, how have yours held up? We want this car to last a while, and of course, many people buy into the "American car is junk" theory--what's the reality? My mother in law has a 1998 Regal that is lucky to get its oil changed, much less anything else and it cranks right up every time, so GM must not be all bad. Sorry for the long post--look forward to your comments!
    Hey Claywaterfill, I am 34 and just bought an Alero. My best friend has an Alero, and another good friend has a grand am SE...we're all 34.

Since you have 3 kids, might I make a suggestion? I too have a minivan for most hauling, although I only have one kid (another in the oven) If I were in your position, I'd go for the Saturn L100, since it has a back seat large enough for 3 kids.

I saw one this week...had a spoiler, aluminum wheels, CD, power windows, sticker price of 17,400. THat's a nice package and price, and it isn't as sedate looking as a Malibu.

I picked the Alero over the grand am due to style and the enhanced warranty, but everybody has different tastes there. You are not too old for the Grand Am!
  • sp007sp007 Member Posts: 3
    I have just developed the exact problem now at 38k miles. I was hoping this car would be different, but it's turning into a typical GM experience. Basically, little annoying things start to go wrong after the 36k warranty runs out.

Hopefully, the extended warranty will cover it. If I find a fix I'll let everyone know.
    Thanks! I like the Alero a lot and my wife does, too. I am just afraid of what it might be worth in a few years after Olds shuts the doors. I do like its longer warranty, though. I'm not too crazy about the L100. We had a SL2 a few years ago, and it was fine. I even like the current S-Series--but, for some reason the L-Series just doesn't "hit my hot button." Thanks again.
    I know what you mean about resale of the Alero. I too was uneasy, but the car was such a value, plus I really wanted a sport sedan with a stick (really wanted one with a 6 cyl and stick, but not this time). I assume you wanted an automatic.
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    A friend of mine has a '99 Grand Am four-door, currently with 60K miles. He bought it with 20K miles. He keeps the car in very good condition.

Here's the problem: The vinyl is coming loose from the door panels. On both back doors, the vinyl is coming loose at the top of the panel where it meets the glass. On the front doors, there are bubbles under the vinyl where it is coming loose from the panel.

I live in South Texas, and know that the hot sun is making this worse, but I've nevere seen a car this new with this problem. Since the door panels all have this problem, it seems like it is a design defect, or a defect in manufacturing the panels.

Does anyone know how to get GM to fix this? They have refused to do anything so far. Does anyone know of a TSB (technical service bulletin) or some sort of GM authorization to replace these panels? Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help would be appreciated...

Joe
    Let's face it, the Alero and the Grand Am (and most GM cars) have depreciation akin to a rock being thrown off a cliff. I bought my 99 GA GT less than 2.5 years ago for MSRP $21,700 and I paid a little under $20K for it. Now it is worth $10K as a trade in with only 40K miles on it. So after 30 months it is worth only half of its original value. Not the best of investments, even worse than the recent stock market!

As far as driving a Grand Am at an "older" age, I turned 40 this year (on 9/11 nonetheless), and I love driving my bright red GT around and getting looks and comments. Maybe I'm a kid at heart, but I just can't see driving a sedate looking car!
    I had all of my door panel fabric replaced because they were pulling away from the door near the window. It is a very common problem with GA's. I remember when I went to look at GA's on dealer lots I saw one with this problem and I left the dealer thinking I would never buy a car with that kind of problem before it was even sold. But my car developed the same problem at around 15K miles so I had them replaced under warranty.

I don't know if there is actually a TSB on this problem, or if you're out of luck once warranty runs out. I'll see if I can find out any more info.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Buy the car you want and never mind what people that you don't know and will never meet, think!
    In today's society, that is hard to do. I agree with you, though--don't get me wrong. If we could do that, then people would buy Kias. But, since we are afraid of what the neighbors will think, most folks don't.
  • a44la44l Member Posts: 1
    Just turned 60 and bought a 2001 Grand Am GT.
    I do not feel too old for the car but my girl friend hates it and called it a kids car. The car is a blast to drive and have had no problems for the first 5,000 miles
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    One of the car moguls made a comment in the late 40s or early 50s; I think it was Henry Ford or Harley Earl. He said you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man.

Age is just a number and being 'old' is just a state of mind!

Think young, act young, stay young!

Joe
  • azwmmazwmm Member Posts: 8
    Wife is 55 and drives Grand AM SE 2. She likes it because it's quick off the line and has a tight suspension.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I thought that quote was from John Delorean when he was at Pontiac and coming out with the GTO in the early sixtys. Who would have thought John would have done something low like steal a line.
  • azwmmazwmm Member Posts: 8
    99 Grand AM SE2
    Also have the exact same problem with quirky turn signal. Before I have the combo switch replaced, I'll check the bulbs in the tail lights and directionals. I've replaced one taillight bulb. Bulb was not burned out, but wire in bulb base heated up plastic and no longer made contact with the socket. At 39k I've replaced the drive belt, water pump, battery, and had the plastic on the door panels reglued. The brakes are original and no problems. Anyone have any info on the 2003 Grand Prix? I've searched the web without finding a good spy photo.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    act young and stay young but still die of old age.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "But, since we are afraid of what the neighbors will think, most folks don't."

I certainly don't frigging care what my neighbors think of my car!

Anyone who lives like that to me is truly sad.
    It is sad, but it happens. Just for fun, tell someone you work with that you are going to buy an Elantra because of its roomy interior and 100,000 mile warranty. The reaction you get there will be the same everywhere, and that is why many people can't buy what they want. Sad or not, it happens in real life. I'm on your side, though.
    Why do you think there are so many big ugly SUV's on the road? Better yet they are 4WD that no one ever uses. Because of the stigma attached to owning a minivan or plain sedan. Most people refuse to buy minivans because they think they will not look "cool".

The only consideration I have for my neighbors is that the car is not a total eyesore (rust bucket, different color panels, etc) and doesn't wake them out of bed when I start it up in the morning. Other than that - it's my car so I drive what I want!
    I agree. When we bought our mini van last spring, an SUV was never an option. I have absolutely no use for them. Until they make an SUV with doors that slide back allowing total access to the cabin, they will never be as practical as a mini van. Sorry for the tangent, though.
  • topsail33topsail33 Member Posts: 19
    Murphy's Law kicked in the other week when I decided to sell my '99 GA (3.4 V-6, Auto).

I started smelling coolant (there's no other smell like it), but didn't see ANY fluid on the ground. Days went by, and using a flashlight, I noticed coolant underneath of the intake manifold (that space below the manifold and above the lifter/cam cover)... I've had the car for 1.5 years and have put 20000 miles on it myself (it has just under 50000 miles on it)...

My first reaction to seeing fluid coming from a gasket is that it's been overheated, and thus warped. But I have never overheated it, so I don't know if it had loose manifold bolts, or a defective gasket...

Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the gasket...Waiting to see if it holds.

Has anyone heard of such a serious leak, with relatively few miles?
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Some of you might remember me, I had a '99 GA SE, but lost it in the great Houston flood of last summer. I've missed that car.

Today, I went and bought a '02 Grand Am SE1, with the option package that includes the chrome wheels off the GT, and moonroof, Monsoon stereo, etc....got it in the same color as my '99, gold.

Had 7 miles on it. Glad to be back a part of the Grand Am family.
  • bill211bill211 Member Posts: 21
    Yeah I ran into an old freind of mine, turns out he works at the local Pontiac dealer. He said that this was one of the nagging problems that the Grand ams have, besides a bad turn light circut board and the rotor problem. He explained that this does not happen on all of the Grand Ams, but only some. The gasket material that GM uses to seal this section sometimes will fail and you will notice either coolent or oil around the edges. The fix is to bring it in to replace the sealant.
    Don't forget the nagging tire noise that the Grand Am is infamous for. At 40K miles, my tires make all kinds of noise because they rub on the wheels. This is the first time I've ever encountered this problem, and the dealer has tried to fix it twice with no luck. Guess I have to wait a while and just replace the tires.
  • aerogalaerogal Member Posts: 8
    midlifecrisis,
    What does the tire noise sound like? About 1,000 miles ago (I'm at ~22,000 now) I noticed a pulsating, grinding sound coming from my front wheels at speeds below 20mph, whether or not the brakes were applied. The pulsing frequency seems to be directly proportional to the wheels' rotational speed. The strange thing, though, is that when I first heard the noise, I didn't hear it again for over a week. Now the noise is back and it seems to be louder than before. If this indeed is the tire noise you referred to, I have no intention of replacing the tires while they're still good ($200/tire on the GT). Any thoughts?
    but it sounds like you've got the same tire noise that a bunch of us are suffering with right now. My tires started making the noise around 25-30K miles. I went back to the dealer twice before the warranty ran out. Both times they tried to fix the noise it was only temporary and the noise came back within a week.

The noise is definitely proportional to the speed, as the tire rubs on the wheel once per rotation.

Since there seems to be no cure for this ailment, I will be driving a while before I get new tires. I think you can get tires for less than $200 each, somewhere around $150 I believe.

Since you are still under warranty, I would take it to the dealer and see what they do for you. If you really want to fight it, tell them you want new tires!
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I haven't experienced this problem with my 2000 Grand Am SE. I have 44k miles on my car now and have never heard any tire noise. What does it sound like? The only problem I have with my tires is that one has a slow leak, and now it looses about 10psi a day. I think it might be the valve stem, does anyone else have an idea of what this could be? Also, just as an update, my turn signal has been working fine now for a few weeks, I haven't heard the sporadic clicking noise.
    You probably have a nail or screw in the tire. 10psi/day is a good size leak, shouldn't be hard to find.
    I agree with burdawg - sounds like you have more than a valve stem leak. When mine lost pressure like that I found I had a screw in the tread. Does the SE model have a low tire pressure indicator light like the GT does?

As far as the tire noise, I'm pretty sure that it is only the GT low-profile tires that have the problem.
  • nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Hi. I have a 1996 Grand Am SE with the 2.4/4-cyl engine approaching 100,000 miles. I bought the car GM Certified in May of 1999 with 30,000 miles. Here are the problems I have had: water pump (replaced under warranty), alternator (rep. under warranty), new control arm (bushing problem, causing steering wheel to pulse when braking). That is it. I keep my car Pontiac dealer maintained with the same mechanic and have had the oil changed every 3,000. I still have 1.5 years left in college and need this car to last (can even think about another payment). Should I follow just the manual's 100K recommended service, or something else? I am also going to ask the mechanic. I have been very impressed with the 2.4 engine in my car since I have heard a lot of horror stories from other people about them. It still has great pick-up for a 4-cyl engine and gets great gas mileage.
  • aerogalaerogal Member Posts: 8
    midlife,
    My husband and I are both engineers and we're scratching our heads trying to figure out how the tire could rub on the wheel (we're not car experts). Could you share the details of the problem with us if you know them? And, if the tire is rubbing in one spot (hence, once per revolution), then wouldn't that create a weak spot on the tire and therefore the potential for a serious problem?

I need to take the car in for an oil change and to have the rotors machined (they said they'll machine, but not replace them under warranty), so I'll have to add the tire noise to the list. AGH!!! I absolutely love my GT but I'm feeling awfully disappointed right now. No car is perfect, but... My SmartBuy is up in December. My neighbor runs a Chevy dealership and I am quite fond of the TrailBlazers he brings home everyday...but I'm sure they have their own share of problems as well.

Anyway, if you (or anyone) could elaborate on the tire noise, I'd greatly appreciate it!
    I am also an engineer, but not a car expert. The problem was explained to me as something to do with the bead of the tire, not the tire structure itself. I think of it sort of like a shoe that squeaks when you walk on a wet floor. There is something about the shape of the tire where it contacts the wheel that causes a rubbing type noise once per tire revolution. It's almost like listening to a steam locomotive chugging at real slow speed. Chug, chug, chug, rub, rub, rub.....

The dealer twice tried to lubricate the wheels to eliminate the rubbing sound. Once with baby powder (I'm not kidding) and then with some kind of clear coat finish. They gobbed the clear coat on and I spent an hour trying to clean the excess off of my rims! Neither was a permanent solution to the problem, as the noise reestablished itself soon after. And when I rotated my tires recently, the noise just moved from one part of the car to another, and seemed to be louder than ever!
    midlifecrisis...
    Unfortunately no, the SE model does not have the low tire pressure indicator. That is something that would be nice to have though!
    I'm taking my car in to get it inspected by the end of the month, I'll have them check the tire again to see if they find a leak.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Just to give you a clue that water pump replace would have cost you $800 out of warranty,and its going to fail again.
  • bill211bill211 Member Posts: 21
    For anyone considering a fun car I still highly recommend the GT1. Very fast and fun. 6 months and no mechanical problems to report. I have noticed some pitting on the front windshield, seems a little more than normal wear I would say but not a problem. I do live in the high desert and alot of dust and particulates have stuck to the white paint, a little bumpy when running fingers over. Looks like small dark pin tip particles. I used meguires clay bar, gloss polish #2 then clear coat gold wax to finish. Wow what a shine, and the paint is smooth again.
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    Hiya folks, if you wish to replace your current "buried deeply within the caves" instrument guages' illumination with something sportier, go to http://www.speedhut.com . This modification is for '99 - 02 SE models.

This is an interesting site, allowing you to totally customize your instrument cluster, including allowing you to have white-faced guages, among many other colors, and an indiglo (various colors, user-changeable color) illumination scheme.

About four of us jumped at the chance rather quickly, but there needs to be about eleven more since SpeedHut needs fifteen pre-orders before they can justify tooling up to make the modification.

At any rate, if you are a SEer wanting to dress up your '99 - '02 instrument cluster, here is a great opportunity. Certainly outclasses the cheap overlay kits.
    What about GT owners?
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    How did you like the soothsayer joe3891 prediction?

I'll have to check this out. I assume it has a platinum impeller and is located inside the block where the engine must be removed for replacement.

Water pumps do have a finite life mostly determined by the condition of the coolant and drive tension. GM went to the Texaco Dexcool phosphate free extended life coolant, with one of the benefits being to extend the life of the water pump. This coolant is incompatabile with regular ethylene glycol and when mixed causes some severe cooling problems.