Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• strawbsstrawbs Member Posts: 8
    I have an '02 SE 4 cyl Solara (Green), and I also put relatively low mileage on it. I also use Mobile 1 (I've only had one oil change so far). I was planning on changing the oil every 4 months (which equates to only about 2000-2500 miles), but with synthetic I could probably do it every 6 months. Most of my driving is in the city, but I've recently been purposely extending short trips to the store into a bit longer trips. This serves two purposes: 1)It keeps my driving habits closer to the "normal" category, and 2)I like driving it!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .........gets changed by the book: every 7500 miles by the dealer (Thompson/P'ville) for $19.95. At 30855 miles, car runs like a top. No B/S Department: 36 mpg Wells, Nev to Sacramento. (Top two gears are overdrives, remember?) Tires soon....what's the feeling about 225/55 on the 6-inch wide 16" optional wheels? ez
  • earlgrey_44earlgrey_44 Member Posts: 21
    It's a good time to buy a Solara. The Camry sedan is getting the attention, and the $500/low-rate finance deal remains in place on the coupe. Just picked up a SLE for just over $24K. Love those seat heaters...
    Getting 24 mph in the first 900 miles of easy break-in stop and go.
    Not worried about sludge. What's a FRAM SureDrain? A quick release oil pan valve?
  • tony2putttony2putt Member Posts: 31
    Web guy, Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I have been real busy. The car is very tight now. It was loose before and increased. I'm very happy I pushed the issue. I wish I had pushed the issue of the rocking seat. I drive it aggressive sometimes, but usually I just listen to the music and ignore the world. I'm changing oil about every 4-5K with whatever the Toyota dealer uses. Enjoy
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    i have oil changes every 3-4K, alternating between the dealer and a Qwik/Speedy/Eagle/tm service nearby. 36K in 2 years - no probs. earlgrey44 - congrats!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    On my gf's new '02 Solara, there is a cross-brace under the hood, toward the rear of the engine compartment. I don't recall if it is connected to the shock/strut towers (kinda think it is too far rearward).
    Do all years of Solara have this? If it was added after the first year, does anyone know if there were previously problems with the front shaking loose?
    Do Camrys have this?

-curious
  • strawbsstrawbs Member Posts: 8
    I have an '02 Solara 4 cyl, and if I recall correctly, the salesman told me the brace was new for '02 to help with stability due to the more powerful 4 cylinder engine.
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Are you looking at the brace that connects the struts, which has been standard on Solaras, or is this something new, which cris-crosses the engine compartment???
    The brace I asked about is toward the rear of the engine compartment in the '02 4-cyl. It is a single piece running side-to-side.

I don't recall if it connects the struts; I just noticed it when my gf was looking at the car before she bought it.

You say it has been standard on the Solaras?
    Do you know if the Camry has it?
    Webguy is correct. The brace between the struts is on all Solaras. It was part of the stiffening they gave the car to distinguish it from the gen 4 sedan, I think. It has nothing to do with front end problems or the new 4 cyl engine
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I was looking at a large ad from a Cincinnati Toyota dealer and noticed a little 2 beside the Solara picture. Down in the very fine print it says that there is a $1,000 rebate from Toyota on the 2002 Solara delivered from stock by April 30. I have not seen this in any other ads and wonder if anyone else has picked up on it. One local dealer offered $500 under invoice (the $500 was probably the rebate at that time) but his invoice included over $300 advertising fee!
    In the past week, I saw (on TV, I think) that there is 0% financing or a rebate ($1,000?) on the Solaras.

My gf's new Solara had a $325 ad fee on the invoice.

This is in the Phila area. Mid-Atlantic region?
    If you are paying cash, or qualify for 0 percent, then under invoice is somewhat reasonable if it is the true invoice price of the car. If you have a trade, beware of traditonal pricing games, and interest rates changing the more you add to the car, ie., gap insurance, extended warranty, prep work, ad fees, etc. That can quickly add up, and you are then not getting the greatest deal. IMO most people have been there, but if you like the car, sign away, and good luck! I am sure by now, most bugs have been worked out. But, remember, I belive that the new 2003 model is being redesigned. You might be able to get a better deal on dealers remaining stock, if you time it right, and the new design rolls in with a few older ones on the lot.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    what the new Solara will look like. It'll probably sport a taller roofline like the Echo/Corolla/Camry, and be based on the new Camry platform. I hope it'll be as stylish as the current generation.
    I hope it doesn't start to look like the Avalon!?! That seems to be the direction the Camry's, and Corollas are going! I hope they don't Toyotaize it! I think the face-lift was a bad choice, with the ugly rear lights, and cheaper plastic grill, eech! I hope they take a hint from Saturn, and make the doors more dent resistant. I hope the paint chips less everywhere else, too. I hope Toyota goes back to making cars the way they used to, low maintenance, at least for what your spending on a car. I could have bought 2 Honda Civics, for the price of my Solara, and had 1/2 the worries!?!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    The 02 Camry SE has one, as does the ES300
  • jia1jia1 Member Posts: 7
    This board is not like what it used to be, I just passed by as a previous 99 SLE owner owner, two year ago, everyone seemed happy with his/her Solara, I could even hardly see any problems reported, I am really surprised by such a dramatic change in only 2 years.
  • luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    I don't know about other people, but I still love my Solara. Almost 2 years now, and no problems yet. Still smooth and quiet like new. The last few posts seem to be critizing the latest changes to the Solara, specifically the exterior. Otherwise, I have not noticed any increase in complaints about the car.
    ..............5-speed. A tight coupe with a flair for really unusually decent fuel efficiency. Last month - at 30k - I included the air filter in the maint schedule (per the book). My last three tankfuls have been 27.5, 27.5, and 26.4..........

Only prob to date has been the drivers side window control failed and was replaced in Placerville by the dealer under warrantee. ez
    everyone was bragging about their car, and raving about it, some getting TRD kits. Now it seems, everyone is either too busy driving their cars, or too busy fixing them!?! :)

30K, and already a drivers side window control failure??? Minor problem, but there is something to be said about "Planned Obsolescence"!!! At 3 years, 36K, that would be several hundred $$$'s out of your pocket. IMO, money pit. It looked good in the beginning, but the the amount the Solara cost, for me, versus 2 years later, and the current resale value, and the various minor problems, not worth it. I believe I could have done better with a Chevy or a Dodge!?! Wait a minute, I had a Chevy and a Dodge. Chevy, no complaints, just too many trouble free miles, before moving on the Dodge. Dodge, too many days in the dealers shop for repairs, for minor issues, and parts delays.

My 2 cents about this car, it that it looks nice, and the interior has a higher quality feel than the competition, but it is not what Toyota quality used to be.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    This board was full of happy NEW Solara owners a couple of years ago when the cars were new to the market. Everyone was happy with this great car. Check out any other board for a newly released car - it will be very similar.

NOW, there are many thousands more of the Solaras out on the road, they are no longer rare and new. So, the board is like most others - a sounding board for those with problems. Considering that there must be several times as many Solaras on the road now as compared to 2 years ago, there sure aren't very many problems reported. This is still a GREAT car, a GREAT quiet drive, and a GREAT value with VERY few problems. Enjoy!
  • jraysjrays Member Posts: 20
    Automophile: I agree with you that most people are satisfied with their Solaras and that's why this board is not as active. Has anyone else noticed that the same few people go on endlessly about picking the car apart for every little (perceived) problem. Get a grip! If you aren't satisfied with the car then get rid of it. The rest of us are happy with our Solaras. I've had mine for 2 years with ZERO problems. If one does come up, I'll be sure and get it repaired, under warranty, and then keep on enjoying the car. Don't get me wrong. We all want to hear about problems with the car, but some of the complaints are so minor that they are almost laughable. It's a machine and all machines will have problems and need repairs and/or adjustments, sooner or later.

I'm sure when the Solara is close to a redesign, this board will once again become very active with excited new owners.

There's probably a lot of other lurkers, like me, that check this board every day. I may not leave a post very often, but I am still here.
    Even Edmunds says it is pricey. Dollar for dollar, the Acura, any Acura, seems to me, to be a better value. Not too many whiney Acura people on the sites. The car looks GREAT, but IMO, quality is lacking, for the price. If this car were, say...$5-10,000 less, then I would give it an "11" on a scale of 1-10, but it's not.
    The price? The things go for under $20k.

What would you pay for the same sized, similarly-equipped Acura?
    I'd have to pay $3K, perhaps as much as $5K depending on the deal, more than I paid for my 02 SLE to get a base Acura CL. What extra do I get? A flip reverse rear view mirror on the right side. A micron air filter. 60 extra hpwr under the hood. For 3 grand? Acura is a better...what now??

Ezshift, I am interested in tires too. I note the following from CU tests:

the new camry 4 cyl has potenza 205's, and stops from 60 mph in 149 feet.

the new camry 6 cyl "handles much better than the 4 cyl" with it's 215 Continentals, and stops in 128 feet. It gets 20 mpg average.

The Solara SLE with the potenza 205's stops in 140 feet. It gets 22 mpg.

These data aren't exactly apples to apples, but it looks like the Solara would do better with good 215's, maybe more so with 225's, but mileage
    would cost you.

One more item. Did anyone try a K&N drop-in air filter in their Solara? Did it do anything for pedal responsiveness or mileage?
    You are lucky if you got a Solara for under $20,000. I have the 2000, SE V6, option #4, add keyless remote and alarm. MSRP, $25,000ish, Premium Wheels, JBL stereo, plus a few dealer add on's, cargo net and the like, tax, etc, and I have a $31,000 car. They were more expensive when they first came out, and the new Solara models have LESS STANDARD features, and lack "Premium Features", so maybe the NEW MODELS are under $20,000, bare bones. My point, is I do not have a bottom of the line, but a 00, top of the line, 00 SE V6(remember the features are different now), only lacking leather, moonroof, dimming mirror, and electronic climate control, things I do not care for. IMHO, I could purchase an equally priced vehicle of better value and/or quality, plus I would not have the potential sludge issue to worry about.
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    We pick up our new 2002 Sle v6 Monday nite. Black with two tone taupe interior, leather, tail fin, moon roof and it is a really good looking car. we traded in a 97 cl Acura, a car we loved because it drove so well, but the new Solara really out drives it. Hard to believe it drives better than the CL. I believe it is pretty well loaded as it listed for close to $27,000 and we paid $24,000 minus $10,000 for the Cl. and we are happy! Anxious to get it home.This is my first time on this forum but will keep reading and writing as time goes on.Bob
    Congratulations on your new car! I'm sure you'll really like it. It's a real pleasure to drive, and the superb sound system is a real treat whenever there's a great song on the radio.

The car is very well equipped and extremely well built. It's no wonder they compare it to a Lexus.

Anyway, have fun driving, and keep posting your comments.
    Congrats' on your Solara, and may you not have the ongoing trim, finish, and mechanical issues I have had. Good Luck! Mine started out as 'The BEST car I have ever owned!" Now...Hyundai's are startin' to look good!?! :^)

Anyone know how to get the piezo chirper to start working again. Mine stopped! Techs stumped. Almost prefer it this way, but it is not supposed to be this way!?!
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    gotta hand it to ya - yer one of the few - however, if you think paying $26K for an Acura CL (why go there? it's the Accord 2-door coupe which is the Solara's real and noteworthy rival) and saying that's a better deal...? A stripper CL? who gets an entry-level luxo coupe stripped? And how much shopping did you really do? i got my 2000 SE V-6 stick w/ moonroof and leather, premium stereo/wheels: out the door at $23,500.
    only peeps who can't confirm that they change their oil regularly (and peeps with Sienna's, it would seem) seem to have a sludge prob. i have no sludge prob at 36K miles...
    no carmaker is perfect, and check the BMW/Acura/Lexus chats for their various complaints (remember the misaligned body panels brouhaha that the 99 Acura CL/TL's ran thru?)
    you got a legitimate beef, but to say that the Solaras as a whole are not good, well, I have to disagree. IMHO
    silversolara, I did not do too much shopping for the car. I went to Acura, I could not get a saleman to come to the lot, and drove to Toyota a few blocks away. The Solara looked kinda' like an Acura, IMO, swoopy lines, sporty, conservative, Camry reliability!?! I can not say what I honestly paid, as I traded in my 1997 Dodge Avenger, and they fudged the numbers. On paper, $22,000 ish, but I got the dealer trade in special on the Avenger, and the speech on saving sales tax, not selling it myself, yatta, yatta, etc. I just got back from fixing the chirper, it came unplugged, and a wheel alignment, and found that the SAI is out of spec, and cannot be adjusted. That's probably the cause of the endless alignments. They can't fix it!?! Oh well.
    It's been rumored that if the CL numbers don't improve, Acura would discontinue the CL. It's no surprise, like SilverSolara said, why pay $26k for an Acura CL when you can have a Solara, or a 2-door Accord? I don't like Acuras because they all look alike. I have a hard time distinguishing a TL or a CL from a distance.

The Acura CL is not a bad car, but I wouldn't buy it.
  • luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    I'm approaching my two year mark and am planning on getting my ATF changed to a synthetic, as well as getting my coolant flushed/changed. Has anyone had this done, and about how much did it cost? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using either Dex II or III (I think those are the two you can use...I don't have my manual in front of me).
    And if I remember right, the V6 engine does not need to have the differential fluid changed?
    Would appreciate any help, thanks.
    I would ask your service advisor for the local recomendations for the diff-fluid, and look at driving habits. This is another fluid in the car that you do not want to scrimp on maintenance, IMO.

Yeah, the Acura's all look alike, but so do the Solara's. If I see another exactly like mine, AAAHHHH! 2 years ago, it was nice to have a somewhat unique car, but now, they are everywhere, and with limited aftermarket parts to trick them out, without going TRD, they are becoming like that "Antique Sage" green Camry or Silver Civic's. Everyone has one! Maybe white stripes down my hood??? EECH!!!
    What I meant is that the whole Acura line in general all look alike. The CL doesn't bear remarkable differences with the TL, and the same goes for the RL. At least with Toyota, the Solara is completely different than the Camry, or the Avalon, or the Celica.
  • chop420chop420 Member Posts: 7
    Interesting comments from everyone. I've owned my '02 Solara fro about 2 weeks and so far I love it. I traded in a 2000 Volvo S70 GLT and was able to work a straight-up trade for the Solara. Not sure I got a great deal, the sticker on the Solara was 21,675 and they originally offered me $20,500 for my Volvo. I got the SE Coupe with the new 4cy engine -- I think it's got plenty of power for daily driving, not the throw you back in the seat power of the turbo-charged Volvo, but the power is very controllable and consistent. I love the smoooooth ride and handling. It's a very easy car to drive and I hope will be very dependable. My only gripe is I've struggled to get a comfortable seating position for the drivers seat -- I was spoiled by the Volvo's seats--too bad the electrical system was a mess.
    It's nice when you can get a so-so even trade, even if you down grade a bit. I hope you enjoy the Solara. There have been many times I wished for an even trade, even for a Ford Focus. LOL! The "throw you back in the seat " thing can be obtained with the V-6, and I like for highway driving, and merging, in friendly, good luck getting in, Chicago driving. Seats in Solara are fairly adjustable, but I believe Volvo's are wider. You will adjust, and I hope you have Toyota's reliablity, as I have not seemed to have picked one of the better Solaras, probably bult on Monday or Friday. :^)
    Yeah the Acuras are difficult to distinguish from CL, TL, to RL, and the rest, but the driver knows what he has under the hood. While waiting at the dealer the other day, I was looking at the 02 Solara's, and the MSRP is down from a few years ago, but so is the "flashy" silver chrome-look grill, and standard features. The new SE's have plastic wheel covers standard!?! Not even the 15 inch alloys, let alone the 16 inch premo's!?! What happened??? Still like the way it looks, from a distance, plain, aero-dynamic, and somewhat sporty, at most angles, as long as you don't look at it from behind. I would like to see a "sportier spoiler" however, although I prefer the look of the car without the spoiler, IMO.
  • chop420chop420 Member Posts: 7
    My new Solara is a the dealership today for installation of a security system and re-installation of my Alpine CD Changer from my Volvo. They gave me a new Volvo S40 as a loaner car -- what a piece of junk! It seems so small and cheap compared to the Solara -- but the sticker is nearly $8,000 more. Sure makes me appreciate the smooth and quiet Solara!
  • westsolarawestsolara Member Posts: 18
    Anyone know the procedure for changing the transmission fluid for the Solara? I had a Honda Accord and it was very simple...just remove the plug from the pan(the plug was magnetized and acted as a filter),clean the plug and re-install it and then replace the fluid.
  • cnmancnman Member Posts: 7
    I can report that after two years and 20,000 miles of driving my 2000 DWP SLE that I am still very pleased with this car. The only real bugaboo is an annoying rattle in the passenger seat cushion that is heard on uneven pavement. I intend to have this fixed one of these days. Other than that I have not had any of the other issues that I have read about in this forum from time to time. No sludge, no front end alignment snags, everything has functioned and held together well, and the CD changer had worked perfectly (its almost always on when I'm driving). Compared to other cars in its price range I feel that the Solara is a great value. My wifes' 2001 Accord sedan also is a well designed and built car but it does not have the overall feel of quality that I get when driving the Solara. The Solara is quiet and smooth, qualities normally only found in upscale automobiles. I also like its smooth looks and interior room and comfort. I intend to keep it until I find another car that can beat it in all of these qualities in this segment of the market.
    ..........con automatico this time. Just broke the 31k barrier. No real complaints. Warranty is still effective for awhile to handle just about anything that could arise. Have been continually impressed with fuel economy, low cost of maint (oil change is 20 skins at the dealer) and quiet ride. Will be replacing tires later this year: going to 215/55 - - - probably Mich MXV4+; then perhaps less bouncy shocks...............ez
    ez
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    250 Miles and loven it;We really could not believe that any car could have given us the great feeling that our 97 Acura CL 2.2 gave us. I tried to talk to the Acura salesman but all he could do was blow smoke at me. We drove the SE Sedan, 4 cylinder, and the V6 XLE Sedan and liked them. Being we liked the CL coupe, we tried the Solara coupe, and fell in love. It really impressed us. It took the sting out of leaving Acura that we had so enjoyed. The service at the Acura dealer was really marvelous and I doubt if the Toyota Dealer will match it. However, we feel the service will very good, at least better than most car dealers.I do not expect any problems at all with the Solara. It just feels perfect.Will post in one year and let you all know how we are doing. bob
    I had this too! There is a TSB to use a heat gun to schrink a cable, or something like that. Mine had to go to a trim shop. It was quiet for about 5,000 miles, and started rattling again, but not as bad. Good luck with yours. Best solution, move the seat forward a bit, and the rattle is not as bothersome. I am closing in on 36,000, miles, and most, not all minor probs worked out, and/or getting used to. Most things have been replaced, so maybe can get another 36,000 out of it!?! Maybe this time trouble-free!!! LOL

Westsolara... about the tranny fluid. My suggestion, go to the dealer. I have found that just about everything that was user maintainable in other cars, in the Solara, requires a lazy quiet afternoon to change anything, down to even a bulb, which took at least 25 minutes...after finding the right tools!!!
  • curlyqcurlyq Member Posts: 54
    Has anyone been through this process with Toyota? Any positive results? Your imput is aprreciated. Curly
    Hi Everyone. There is a new Solara topic in the Maintainence and Repair section. Please take a look. Thanks, Curlyq
  • friendinthebizfriendinthebiz Member Posts: 31
    I've been away from the topic a while. Our 38 month old '99 SE #4, auto, sunroof, Michelin 205/16, alum. spare rim, black cloth Beauty has been great. Not flawless, but great. Mobil One filters and 10-30 every 6-7K miles, 21 mpg mixed and love the silence of operation. Brittle paint chips easily, "rocking chair" fixed under TSB,thunk not solved by...replacing the tank!
    Hello fellow Solara owners. Please share your experiences good and bad regarding any paint chipping your Solara has experienced. Please include year and color. Also, any tips you have for minimizing chips, repairing chips, etc. And how has your Solara's paint finish compared to other vehicles you've owned. Hopefully we can all learn from each others experiences. Thank you, Curlyq (Red 2000 22K)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------