Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• rodanrodan Member Posts: 1
    Have you found the culprit for the noise you were investigating?
  • cousinvinny1cousinvinny1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry i found this group kinda late but saw this post and wanted to comment. Yes i've had this problem too (still dealing with it)on my wife's grand am. It's a 94 se but basically the same deal, bad vibration from front end. When it got real bad on the right i replaced the strut (everything but the coil spring) even replaced the mount along with the bearing plate, etc. Replaced the whole thing on left side a few days later. about two weeks before that i replaced both rotors with new, and all brake pads. It still vibrates! although it is much quieter (haha). I'm at a loss too as what it is but by looking at what i did you may get an idea of what it's not. Or have you fixed it in this time?
  • cricket2cricket2 Member Posts: 16
    Yes for the most part. I had my left strut replaced that was leaking fluid. Also replaced the right strut mount (because it was making the most noise). Also while having my tires rotated during an oil change, they broke the stud on my left tire and broke the lug nut on another stud. They were going to charge me $60 labor to repair it. So I bougth them myself at .98 cents and my trusty mechanic put everything on. I'm still hearing on the right front when I ride over rough road like the strut is bottoming out so I think it will need to be replaced soon too. But at least it's a lot quieter than before sounding like the front end was falling out.
    Yes somewhat! My mechanic put a new left strut on and a right strut mount. Both were bad. It has alleiviated a lot of the noise however, I feel the right strut is going bad also. It bottms out when riding on rough road. One thing at a time I guess.
    I had the same problem trying to figure out how to get the headlamp out to replace it. I have a 99 Grand Am SE. Under the hood, there should be a shield over the radiator all the way across. Pull it up and there is a metal piece I think behind the lamp. Take a screwdriver and force it upward. That should release the headlight so you can get to the turn signal lamp. Hope this helps.
  • cousinvinny1cousinvinny1 Member Posts: 2
    Glad you got most of it fixed cricket. Hmmmm... lug nuts,eh? I got one missing on the right cause i had to replace the stud too(tire shop stripped that one). I just didn't think one missing would cause it to do that, meaning the wheel was vibrating? As for the noise you still have, even though i replaced both struts with brand new ones including the upper mounts / bearing plate,etc. it still makes some "clunking" or at least a soft "thud" type noise. I feel it may be some old rubber bushings on the stabilizer bar or underneath somewhere so i'm not worried about that, my role as a MECHANIC? now that's another story.
    Ditto on the clunking but I'll take less than more.
  • supercrowleysupercrowley Member Posts: 2
    I have put a gallon of gas in the tank and it turns over but never catches. What do I need to do to get running again?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If your on an incline or the car isn't level, one gallon may not be enough. Does the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the on position?
  • rezn8princessrezn8princess Member Posts: 1
    :cry: Can someone please help me?
    I bought a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am with 90k miles on it for $1000.00 about 6 months ago. Since I have made this haunting mistake, it has been in the shop 6 different times, spending about $2000.00 . I noticed a few weeks ago that the low coolant light kept going, there was a leak coming from the passenger front end and the thermostat would go into the red. I brought it to a new garage to get it fixed. They installed a new water pump and thermostat ($600.00). I went to pick it up today, and on the way home I noticed the low coolant light was still on and it was running past 220, but not quite in the red. I took it back to the shop and they told me that there may be some air bubbles and to let it run a bit and they should come out. I went home, let it sit for about 3 hours and took it for a road test. I first drove through town, 35-45 mph, still over 220 but not in the red. I took it on the highway, the second I sped up, it went below 220 then slowly crept up to just below the red. It doesn't seem to go in the red, but for $600.00, I am not impressed!!! Please somebody help me figure out what is wrong with my car! The techs can't!
    Thank you,
    rezn8princess

cliffordjes@yahoo.com :cry:
  • supercrowleysupercrowley Member Posts: 2
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Reminder - please do not post your email address in messages. We like to keep the discussions here. Plus, you don't want to end up on a bunch of spam lists.
  • polespoles Member Posts: 23
    does anyone know what number oil fliter a 2001 grand am gt uses with a mobil-1 filter
  • barnangelbarnangel Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem! Mine is also a 1994 Grand Am, bought brand new from the factory.

This problem started last summer/fall. I noticed the floor under the carpet on the driver's front seat and the back seat (right side of car) were soaked. I sopped it up a few times and then winter came. So far, it hasn't rained much, so I don't know yet if the problem will persist. I did read somewhere that a rear taillight was not sealed properly on a Grand Am and this caused the problem.

Who knows!
  • pottsie333pottsie333 Member Posts: 1
    at about what speed does the govenor shut off the engine?
  • thawk49thawk49 Member Posts: 1
    My story
    1997 I purchased a 1994 Red Grand-Am Gt two door. It had 80,000 miles on. At 150,000 the Tranny began to make a clunking sound. I had it check and re-built. It cost me 1,500. It lasted just past the lousy 90 day warranty, than began making the clunking sound again, only not as bad as before. I put another 55,000 miles on the car. The Original Water Pump failed at about 180,000. Other than that the car preformed flawlessly. I replaced it at 205,000 miles. It was still making the clunking noise. I brought a 2002 Sliver two door Grand-Am Gt. It had 30,000 miles on it. It now has 47,000. So far I have nothing really bad to say about the car. It could use more horse Power. I have had it up to 110 MPH. After about 100 MPH you have to drop into third to go faster. Other than weak Tyrannies and low horse power from most of GM's motors I think it's a nice car. Big improvement over the 94. So far gas mileage as been pretty good. I drive about 80 miles a day. I can usually drive the five day work week on a tank of gas, and have a little left over on Friday. Note: I have installed a K&N filter. Saw a slight improvement in both performance and fuel economy.
    :)
  • springerspringer Member Posts: 1
    Water under floor is probably actually coming from a rusted-out heater air collector box in front of the windshield and running down the inside of the firewall and under the carpet to pool in the lowest areas of the floor. Others might find that that the trap door (1 of 2) under the blower that drains water to the engine side of the firewall is plugged with debris and the water is backing up into the blower but I wasn't that lucky, mine was rusted out on the interior side of the seam which is actually the top of the firewall. I attacked this problem by removing the hood, wipers, plastic cover/grill and loosening the blower housing as much as possible (a real pain). Then I cleaned out all the debris and scraped off as much of the rust as I could with a Dremel and a wire brush and sanding disk. Then filled seam with KopperLastik roofing tar. Lot of work and I didn't get it all so there's still a bit of a leak. Am going to spike hiles in my floorboards at the accumulation points to allow the excess to drain and park in the sun with my windows cracked until I have the energy to tear it apart again. If the damn thing wasn't so much fun to drive I'd make a boat anchor out of it.
  • oluade76oluade76 Member Posts: 6
    Just re-posting under Pontiac to get user reactions

Have a Pontiac Grand Am 1999 - 122k miles. The service engine light comes on occasionally .. then dashboard stops and power window stops as well.

Then after restarting or driving for a few minutes.. everything comes back on....

Decided to buy an OBD II scanner... after diagnostic got this codes....

P1665 GM EVAP Vent Valve Solenoid Control Circuit (1998)
    P1676 GM EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Control CKT

Any tips would be helpful
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I think that may be something as simple as gas cap, either on crooked, not tight, or gasket leaking.
  • bill54bill54 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is an old message, but did you resolve your problem? I have a '99 with a similar stalling problem. In my case "all" the dash lights and messages come on and you can hear a clicking from what I believe is the computer. About the 4th restart the engine will keep running.

Thanks
  • oluade76oluade76 Member Posts: 6
    hmm... you may be right.... The guys at Sunoco dont seems to know what's wrong... the gas cap seems to keep going round and round... dosent stop
  • atombob53atombob53 Member Posts: 1
    The signal flasher/harzard flasher are combined as one unit and is attached to the back of hazard flasher button. There is an unpublished recall for this problem which can be a fire hazard.I replaced mine on my own as my car was out of warranty. the part cost approximately $20.00. The new one after six months has statred the same noises. Installation is simple. Pop the trim ring around the ignition switch with a screwdriver and put the car in neutral(set parking brake) and pull the center dash panel off. The switch has a small wire harness and removes with 2 screws.
  • cody7cody7 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 93 am and can not seem to get any heat. fan is working and when I move dial from floor to vent to defrost Ican hear the engine idle lower . are these electronic instead of cabel
    Cold in the North
  • nikon101nikon101 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I'm getting different spark plug firing order directions from publications. I have a '91 Grand Am, 2.5L, Vin "u" engine. My owner's manual says 1-3-4-2, and the GM Service manual says 1-4-3-2. Anybody know the correct order?
    And, if I'm under the car, looking up at the coil, which way do the numbers go? Is 1 the bottom, 2 the next, etc?
    Thank you all,
    Paul
  • abutler14abutler14 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 grand am gt from a guy who got it at an auction. I need to know how to reset the password on the radio. Is there a way to do this or do i need to take it to a dealership?
  • justin13justin13 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used grand am for my wife for her birthday and was wondering if I could get some feedback (good and bad) or some links for my research. I am interested in inherent problems or recalls with this model. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

Justin
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, you can start right here!! :)

Click on the Edmunds.com logo at the top and then the blue Used Cars tab. From there you can access editor and consumer reviews. If there is a specific model you are looking at, you can, from that same Edmunds.com home page, click on Tips & Advice and then Maintenance to look up recalls and other service information.

There is True Cost to Own infor and True Market Value, both of which should help you.

You can also use the "Search This Discussion" feature on the page bar to look for previous posts here by keyword.

Anything else you need, just ask!
    It would help if you would provide some idea as to what years and specific models (4 cyl vs 6 cyl, etc) you were interested in.
  • jcorb7428jcorb7428 Member Posts: 4
    :sick: I got a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am in Novemeber-2001.
    Car was $22,000.00 new at my time of purchase.

Trouble started before I ended my 3year/ 36,000 mile....

Overall in 3.5 years I replaced ignition and locks several times due to malfunctioning key security system.
    Replaced a few fuel pumps...
    Lost both my door mirrors due to poor material.
    Turn signals stopped working....
    Car just got towed for the 5th time in my 3.5 years of ownership !!

Purchased at $22,000 in 10-01
    Car appraised at $12,000 in just one year.
    Traded car yesterday, 4-20-05 (3.5 years old with only 68K miles). Trade in was only offered $3,000 !!!!!!

I know Pontiac has to protect their own interest but where do you draw the line?
    Should a company have to more liable for putting this type of trash on the market?
    I baby my cars with oil changes and all service from day one.

Should a consumer be treated better if they go into a dealer and drop $22,000 for a new product.

Let me know if anyone has had the same experience with there Pontiac.
    I am out thousands of dollars due to this product. I know legally there is nothing I can do. I do know I want to do ANYTHING to make the next consumer more informed unlike myself.

My word to Pontiac is just, "WHAT COMES AROUND, GOES AROUND"!!!
    That happened to me many times and resulted in being towed.
    Sometimes It was a bad fuel pump and other times it was malfunctioning key security system that required replacement of my ignition and all locks.

Very costly !!!

If it is paid for and you have some high cliffs in your neighborhood?.........
    Possible a bick lighter to the gas tank.....

Sorry but I can only be humours since I have had the Pontiac Nightmare since 2001 with my 2001 Grand Am.....

good luck
    Keith
    This is one of the many things that broke on mine that did not cost me anything to fix.
    The recall fixed my signals and flashers
    Please read my post today 4-22-05 called GRAND AM NIGHTMARE.

AS A FRIEND TO FRIEND OR JUST A PERSON TO PERSON....

DONT BUY A PONTIAC GRAND AM

THEY COST A LOT
    THEY DEPRICIATE BADLY

PONTIAC COST ME THOUSANDS DUE TO THEIR PRODUCT.

MINE WAS $22,000 IN 2001
    I TRADED IT 4-21-05 FOR ONLY $3,0000 !!
    EVEN THOUGH I STILL OWE ON IT, I ENDED UP EATING IT SINCE I DID NOT HAVE THE TIME FOR MONEY TO TRY TO KEEP IT GOING.
    IT ONLY HAD 68K MILES ON IT.

AGAIN, DONT BUY IT
    EMAIL ME IF YOU LIKE MORE INFORMATION
  • silentbob2578silentbob2578 Member Posts: 1
    I hope someone can help me out with this. I have a 98 Grand-Am with a Factory Alarm system, recently my key fobs have stopped working and unfortunately I had set my alarm before they stopped working. Now when ever I open my door with the key the alarm goes off. I am currently stationed in Germany and have written to Pontiac to see if they can send my new fobs. Does anyone know how to disable a factory alarm with only the key? I am in a real bind I can't drive my only car right now and am looking all over for a solution. Thanks for you time, it is really appreciated.
    One side note I did replace the batteries in both fobs.
  • wizardman21wizardman21 Member Posts: 1
    I can't find any performance parts for my car. If anyone knows of a website that has any please let me know.
    And if you have to modify the parts to get them to fit then please tell me how.

Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi wizardman21 - welcome to our Forums. You might want to stop by our brand new Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board for some input.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    It is highly unlikely that both key fobs would fail at the same time, so I doubt having a third one sent to you will fix the problem. It sounds more like the receiver part of the system in the vehicle failed.
    You did mention that you changed both batteries. Was this done to try and fix the problem or did you cause the problem by changing the batteries? My manual states that you must resynchronize the transmitter and receiver after changing the batteries. I changed mine and didn't have to do it but here is the procedure, give it a try.
    "Stand close to the car.
    Press and hold lock and unlock buttons at the same time.
    Hold for 7 seconds. In this time the doors should lock and unlock once. This confirms the resynchronization. If the doors do not lock and unlock once see dealer for service."
  • kbugkbug Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me where i can get ahold of some custom/aftermarket headlights for my 1999 pontiac grand am?
  • lp_chic19lp_chic19 Member Posts: 2
    Is the fluid leaking inside of your car?
  • coupekid722coupekid722 Member Posts: 5
    Any advise to someone getting 98 and 05 Grand Ams? I am trading off my :sick: Intrepid and getting it in the AM. Any major problems to report with this vehicle?
  • lp_chic19lp_chic19 Member Posts: 2
    I am having some break trouble. When I go to stop, the breaks will slow down at first, then they will kind of "let loose" where it feels like there are no breaks at all, then they will finally stop. I just had a front end break job but it still continues to do this. Someone suggested that maybe it is the master cylinder going bad. Then someone said it was in the ABS computer. Any suggestions??
  • ctwrenchctwrench Member Posts: 1
    These cars are garbage. We bought an '01 model in '02 and no matter what we do, we can't get rid of it because the value has depreciated so much that we can never get right side up for trade in. The front end makes strange noises like its falling apart, the brakes are horrible, the turn signals have a recall b/c they go out intermittently, the built in security system works so well that half the time you can't even start your own car (it requires that you turn the key on and wait 10 minutes for the system to reset) so make sure you plan your trips accordingly and don't have an emergency or be in a hurry. Remember that Pontiac stands for Proof Of No Thought In A Car.
  • sunnymsunnym Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 98 Grand Am for my 21 yr old son & have had a lot of fuel problems. Just today the fuel line ruptured & he lost about 8-10 gal of gas, and you know the price of gas. He has had the car over two years & nothing but fuel problems. We have taken it to the mechanics. They put it on the lift to replace the pump but it was tested ok. The horrible noise coming from the trunk is normal for that car. My son has to put fuel injector cleaner & Premium gas only to make it run on a regular basis. This recent rupture of the gas line today according to the Pontiac dealership could have blown up the car. I don't consider this car too safe. We have no idea how long he has been losing gas & driving under this fire hazard. We were also told no one has it in stock. It has to be ordered & it will be about a week to get it so guess who gets to play taxi, mom. I have a computer business to run I can't get out to take care of things I need to take care of.

I hope this helps.
    PS
    Don't get a standard either they seem to go through clutches, but that could be my son's driving. We have replace the heater core every yr also and they are not fun to change at all.
  • coupekid722coupekid722 Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone, thanks for you input on the G'Am's it does help, and I will continue to look back at what your responses have been and are, this way if I experience the same thing, I'll no I am not the only one and I will know what to tell the mechanic to look at. It is a BIG help and you have no idea how much I appreciate it. Honestly, between these two cars and my Trepid, I think I may be in love. I just hope I say that next week, next month, and next few years. I had SOOOOOOOOO many probs with my Trepid, that I just couldn't deal with it no more. I know minor things happen, but these probs I had were MAJOR!!! (2 Engines, a tranny, and multiple Serpentine belts as well as the Serpentine pullies) A lil advise on those cars, STAY clear away from the 2.7 engines, my Dodge mechanic told me they are crap!!! Again, Thank you everyone!!! I hope you can get your G'Am issues resolved. Good luck!
    On my 3rd Grand Am, and haven't had most of the problems other people are talking about. Maybe it's the climate I live in, the regular maintenance, I don't know. My daughter is in grad school and is STILL driving the 95, with well over 100k miles. My 99 was going strong (1 major repair, intake manifold gaskets, a known problem) with just under 100k until some guy dialing his cell phone ran into the back of me on the last day of March last year and totalled it. I've had a white 04 GT since just after that and have had 0 problems (16k now). Yeah, I've heard all the arguements, why didn't I wait and get a G6, etc, etc, etc. Don't care, I go with what works for me.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    My 2000 Alero (same as GrandAm) has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. I did have some problems but nothing out of the ordinary. 2 recalls have been done, brake rotors and hazzard switch. Intake manifold gasket had to be replaced (GM picked up 50%). I had to replace blower motor resistor board ($17) and had one brake job done. I am glad I don't have the optional security system, there seems to be a lot of problems with it.
  • italianmaster1italianmaster1 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 99 GA and its a little over a year old. Bought it used with 47000 miles on it and its already at 71000. Lots of driving I do. Anywho its been running great. I have noticed though that when I start my car (especially if the car cooled off from a drive or first drive for the day), I shift into drive and when I start moving, I hear a sqweeling screeching type of sound coming from the Driver's Front tire. The funny thing is, it only does it for the first minute of driving. After that minute, the sound goes away. It might come back when driving on the expressway but then goes away again. Does anyone have an idea what it could be. It just scares me when im on the expressway and that noise comes back. I dont want to say goodbye to this world in my early 20s :confuse:
    Could be the left front pad wear indicator, which is made to contact the rotor when the pad lining gets low and make an offensive screeching noise. If it has just started then it MAY only make noise when the pads are cold and haven't expanded any due to heat. Have the pads checked, or pull the front wheel off yourself and have a look. If you do it yourself remember to use a jackstand for safety.
  • italianmaster1italianmaster1 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Burdawg about the front pad indicator thing. I honestly will say I dont know anything about cars. Just know how to change the oil, air filter and tires. I talked to my Gf's dad, since he is a Semi-Truck mechanic and said exactly what you said. He is just baffled that it only does it when the car first starts when sitting for more than 20mins. He wants to take a look at it himself on Saturday. But thank you again for the input. Any input, even little ones help a lot. especially to people who do not know a thing. :shades:
  • lostone01lostone01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all....I am new to this forum. I was just browsing around looking to find out more info on how to replace my front struts. Whenever I go around a bend in the road (at about 50-60mph the whole front end starts shaking. And whenever I go over rough roads, the strut bottoms out (the dimples in my hood are proof that it does).

As to the person putting down the Grand-Am, well it sounds like you got taken on the trade-in :lemon: . I have my 1994 Grand-Am since July of last year and this is the first major problem that I have had with it. And I drive my car for a living. I average anywhere between 500 to 1000 miles a week on the car. I bought it with 145,000 on it and now it has about 163,000. I love my car and it runs great :D . The only other thing that needs fixing is the heater core broke so it is currently by-passed.
  • shanekshanek Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 grand am and i had to change the ignition switch and now my anti theft device will not allow my car to stay running does any one know where i can find a switch or a way to reset the device to make the car run