Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    No it doesn't. had to install a seperate switch to raise and lower the antenna when you use the CD or a tape It cost me $30.00 to get it installed. Works perfect.
  • concept11concept11 Member Posts: 6
    Maybe your experience has been good with your newer Quest but many people whom I have talked to with '94 & '95 Quest vans (separate from this message board) have had the same problems as mine stated in my Sept. 14th. post. In my opinion, I would go as far to say that in these specified years, many of these problems are common place and NORMAL for the years of '94 & '95.

I cannot speak for the Quest vans from 96 on which you talk about. Good luck.
  • concept11concept11 Member Posts: 6
    That would be my Sept. 11th. post that I am reffering to. Sorry.
  • villager7villager7 Member Posts: 1
    Reference posting 538. We have similar problems on the Villagers. I've had broken exhaust manifold bolts replaced (under warranty) and had the same problems with my fuel tank vent hose (not under warranty). The vent hose is currently being investigated by the NHTSA according to their web site. Seeing how little information Firestone and Ford provided on their tire problem I doubt they'll get much of a response from Mercury and Nissan about this problem. Definite fire hazard. I have a 94 Villager that for the most part I'm happy with but I've had major problems -- bad battery (at 18k mi), crankshaft broke at 22k mi, check engine light for EGR system, broken engine mount, vent hose, manifold bolts, a few others. I'm very glad I bought a 75,000 mi extended warranty. (The broken engine mount was replaced last month at 74,800 mi!) From all the postings I've seen, sounds like I'm in the minority (lucky for all of you!).
  • grichardsongrichardson Member Posts: 7
    Has any one ever had a timing belt to break on a 93-94 quest?? If so what was the milage on the van when it broke. Also was there any engine damage that had to be replaired. My 94 Quest has 92,000 miles
  • md_techmd_tech Member Posts: 84
    Wow that's a lot of mileage for the original timing belt. Your Quest probably is the model with the 100K belt,if not you have been very lucky!!!! If you have the regular 60K belt I really would't wait to replace it much longer....

Kristina/co host Our Turn
  • waynerpwaynerp Member Posts: 35
    My 2000 SE, with only 1700 miles, has developed a problem with the wipers operating erratically by themselves. The dealer replaced the combination switch twice before concluding that the problem must be a defective wiper amplifier (an electronic "black box"). He stated that he has not seen this item fail on any later model Quests. I guess I'm just lucky. Anyone else have this problem? My van is otherwise flawless.
    The part was ordered by the dealer last week. I hope to get it taken care of in the next day or two. The long drought here in the southeast is helping me in this instance, as my wipers are not really functional right now. I'll let you know the results.
  • nashvillequestnashvillequest Member Posts: 1
    I've recently been given a large ($700) estimate to replace a faulty knock sensor in the computer system. There is no apparent engine knock and reportedly it is a sensor problem. This is located in a difficult to reach place at the back of the engine and takes 6-7 hours of labor. Has anyone elso encountered this problem? What would be the ramifications of not having it repaired?
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    Knock sensor are used to detect detonation (knock). When they "hear" the engine beginning to knock, they make adjustments via the engine control computer to eliminate the knock. Usually, this involves retarding the timing.

Since detonation can damage pistons, valves, and cylinder heads, I'd say the $700 would be a small price to pay. However, you may wish to obtain a second opinion (and a second price quote) on this repair prior to proceeding.
  • spirit5spirit5 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 1996 Nissan Quest that was diagnosed as having a bad knock sensor.
    The knock sensor itself was app. $230.00.
    The majority of the remainder of the estimate was
    for manifold gaskets that had to be replaced when they were taken off to reach the knock sensor and app. 5 hours labor to do the job.
    There was also another $100. on the bill because they originally said that the problem was an Emission Control Valve and hose, so they started by replacing this first. (Seem more like parts changers instead of mechanics. )
    This van only has 55,000 miles on it.
    My question is, is this the life expectancy for a knock sensor. It seems to me that an electronic sensor that is in a position to have so much trouble to get to, should last a lot longer than 55,000 miles. Has anybody else had similar experiences with this problem?
    I think in your case, they tried to go with the least expensive part first. Sometimes other components can cause problems with the knock sensor.. Since, they were unable to completely fix the vehicle by replacing the Emissions component they had to replace the sensor. I know it's expensive to have the sensor replaced,but it's also a long tedious job for the technician.. *Engineers don't always put sensors in the most user friendly place to get to...

kristina/co host Our Turn
  • blayne1blayne1 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently had to replace the tranny in my 97 Quest after 100k mi. Man, I am so disappointed with this van! Only 100k and the tranny goes out. The list of complaints I have is endless. Rear door locks, to rear shocks to weather stripping...
    What the hell happened to Nissan. My family has had Maximas, Trucks, & B-210's and nothing has compared to this piece of crap. I was lucky and had the tranny put in wholesale and only paid $1400 for the tranny but I will NEVER BUY NISSAN AGAIN!!! I would sure love to hear from a Nissan rep and let them know how I feel!!!
    while I sympathize with your ordeal, I believe Nissan is not alone in drivetrain problems. From reading these boards, 100k miles on a transmission is not too bad!! Perhaps we are expecting too much out of systems that may not be up to the task of pulling around 2+ tons on a regular basis. Most powertrains in minivans are adapted from existing car platforms, and perhaps they are not up to the task of pulling so much extra weight.

To some extent, I think this is simply the "nature of the beast".
    Have you been sniffing too much exhaust, jkrolak? LOL

Knock sensors, as far as I'm aware, actually "listen" for the telltale sounds of detonation, then work with the engine control computer to retard the timing, thereby cutting power slightly, but eliminating the knock.

They don't need to be located in the exhaust, but they do need to be near the cylinder heads.
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    Aren't they usually mounted directly to the engine block near the cylinder heads? That was always my understanding, but I have never actually checked.

Anyone out there have a Quest shop manual?

Dave
    Thanks for looking that up.

Piezoelectric, huh? That's what I thought, yeah... ;-)

Dave
    Yeah, the hockey Badgers aren't doing so well this year. They are bound to have some off years, it's the nature of college sports.

I was out in the woods on opening day. My parents own some "hunting land" not too far north of here. Off topic, but my freezer will be well-stocked this winter.

BTW, I might be in need of your help with the shop manual come spring. Our A/C has been "infected" and smells horrible. I'm hoping we have a cold winter and it kills off all the nasties, but if it doesn't I will have to take some drastic measures.

I've tried Ozium and Lysol sprayed into the air intake. Both worked for about two weeks, and then the smell returned. I've done some research and there is a product I may have to try. It's a disinfectant foam that gets injected into the A/C system that fills the whole system. You have to drill a hole into the air box under the dash where the A/C box is (I forget the technical name for it) and spray the stuff in until it comes out the dash vents. Then you let it sit until the foam is gone. It supposedly disinfects the whole system. But I am leery of drilliing a hole in my A/C system without looking at the service manual.

Dave
  • aldcrkaldcrk Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Nissan Quest for 2 weeks it had 4000 miles on it when I bought it . While driving the van home in a rain storm the van was all over the road , I was scared !! It was like I was driving in 3 inches of slush !! ( I'm used to driving vans and in bad weather ) I brought the van back the next day & they checked it out , the tire pressure was down 5lbs. in each tire , they made this adjustment and asked me to try it out , because they have never had any other complaints like this , The car still pulls , the other day the roads were slushy & I was driving about 25 miles per hour and still all over the road ,the tires seem to be worn on the outter edges , We have called the dealership again today & they would like us to bring it in & have it checked out again , I guess my question is , What is causing this problem? any answers would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Tracy
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    I've called around and found out that this filter is now $73. This past summer it was only $35. Anyone know why the hike in price? Are they now $73 or is my dealer jacking the price up?
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    We've got a 2k VillSport and it drives like a car (to my surprise). Of course, it's got the F/R stabilizers and 225-16 GY-Eagle-LS (pumped to 40psi).
    What tires/size do you have? It is normal for BRAND NEW tires to "wander" until they "settle" with the suspension after a few miles (but they shouldn't be off-track excessively).
    Good luck.
  • jkrolakjkrolak Member Posts: 38
    I had problems with my original general tires wearing abnormally. A set of Michelin X0nes settled that -- also a 4 wheel alignment. My Quest, Generals and all, has always tracked like a cat, but then we don't get much slush here in South Florida. You may be on to the real reason someone traded in a van with 4,000 miles. Once it is fixed, I am sure you will enjoy it. The van truly handles like a car. I travcked last night on an empty 6-lane highway (flat) and the van finally drifted to the white dividing line at 4 tenths of a mile -- not into the next lane mind you, but just to the limits of the lane I was in. 2000 feet to stay in your own lane shows tracking is excellant. Keep working with your dealer and I am sure they will ferret out your problem -- you just need some of our Florida sun on your roads. The only snowjob down here is the Dumbocrats and their wailing.
    Rest assured, this is not how your van is supposed to handle. My 99 Quest handles great in rain, snow or sunshine. 5 pounds too low tire inflation will not make it handle that bad.

Sounds to me there are two possibilities here. The first and most likely, since you noticed the unusual tire wear, is that your van needs an alignment. I don't think a 4-wheel alignment is necessary, the rear suspension is not adjustable (or so I have been told).

The other possibility is that a suspension or steering component is bent. This could be due to an accident or it could have come from the factory that way (though not likely). Do you know the history of the vehicle?

Since it has only 4000 miles on it, it is still covered by the factory warranty, right?

I hope your dealer is able to fix the problem for you. Let us know what happens.

Dave
  • frankjws1frankjws1 Member Posts: 3
    Here's my story. I bought a '99 Quest in July of last year. Since new this van has always had a vibration. I've had the alignment checked(front only you can't do a 4-wheel alignment on a Quest), I've had the wheels and tires balanced 3 or 4 times since new and the best has been recently when a suspension shop here in Nashville, Tn balanced them while still on the vehicle. Although much improved, the vibration is still there and I need to have this problem resolved. I've contacted Nissan cust. serv. and explained the problem along with notifying my service manager at the dealership. Nissan has given me a file # and someone from Nissan should be calling me anyday now. I would like to continue to hear from those of you with a similar problem. Please continue to post regarding your vibration problems along with any solutions. Thanks. Frank.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I read the previous two posts about not being able to do a 4-wheel alignment on the Quest. I believe you are mistaken, I took my Quest to the Nissan dealer at 11,000 miles because it was chewing up front tires and I asked Chuck if they were doing a front wheel alignment or a 4-wheel alignment and he said that you can't do just a front wheel alignment on a Quest it has to have a 4-wheel alignment because it has eccentric adjustments or something like that. Anyway, that's what they did to mine and it stopped the tire chewing problem.......good thing since I had just put brand new snow tires on it. The Eagle LS tires that it came with might have one more summer in them, the front ones are kind of worn funny. My Quest handles perfect in the rain, sun, and its excellent in the snow, which is good concidering I live in Alaska. Also everything I have heard is that you have to do a 4-wheel alignment on a front wheel drive vehicle or it won't really be aligned correctly. I could be wrong but I have friends who work in dealerships as techs, and at tire shops.
    are you talking vibration or shimmy?
    at what speed and circumstance (braking/cornering)?
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    I don't have a Quest BUT I do have a 1999 Villager and I just recieved a recall on the steering. I have an appointment this comming Mon. Dec. 4 to get it fixed. Question is --could this be the problems stated above ????
  • realspeedracerrealspeedracer Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a problem such as this...the driver's side headlight goes out intermittently while driving or sitting still-motor running. Replaced bulb to no avail. When light goes out, the "brights on" indicator in the inst. cluster lights up indicating a blown bulb. I am bringing it into dealer to have steering rack warranty performed-as I have a noise when turning right, so I will have them explore. No success searching nhtsa site, Is this an isolated problem? 16000mi. on the van and have never had a problem. Oh yeah, one complaint...the carpeting and carpeted mat set is very difficult to clean when stained,even with plain old dirt.
    I was hoping someone in the know would step in and clear that up.

Back when I had a 91 Tracer, the rear wheels were also preset at the factory. But if it needed adjustment, a fixed link in the suspension could be replaced with an adjustable threaded one. Perhaps the Quest has something like this too.

I hope they wouldn't have to resort to the big hammer. :-)

Dave
  • frankjws1frankjws1 Member Posts: 3
    In response to post#581 my van vibrates and does not shimmy. This problem begins at approx. 45-50mph and is most obvious from 55-75+. I've noticed that the speeds at which this occurs varies with tire pressure. For clarification, the Quest's rear suspension cannot be aligned. There are no adjustments that can be made mechancially.
    I've also noticed that for 2001 Nissan has put a different 16" wheel on the GLE. I was told last year(by the dealer) that Nissan had experienced some problems with some pickups(vibration) and had replaced both the wheels and tires to correct the problem. I still have yet to hear from Nissan but when I do I'll be sure to post about the progress or lack thereof.
  • sblumsblum Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my 3rd Nissan Quest. I went out to
    dinner and tried to open the passenger door with
    the key. Low and behold no lock cylinder on the
    passenger side. Anybody know if this is a brilliant
    engineering decision? My 1999 had a key cylinder
    on both front doors. Do they expect me to always
    use the remote key door opener? Any body noptice
    this with their new Quest?

Steve

email me blumen69@aol.com
  • ahsiehahsieh Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 quest which has 28000 miles and is on my 3rd front brake pad! Yes, the first set was replace when it reached 9000 miles! Any one had the same problem? This is my first Nissan and will be my last...
    2000 Quests are having issues with tires!!! These problems include tire pulsation,uneven wear,and pulling. I would get the factory to warranty them for you.. Or take them to a tire place that warrantys those brand of tires. An as for the 4 wheel alignment the rear is preset it can't be aligned unless you are replacing a component.. The front toe is what the are aligning when you bring your Quest in for a alignment.

Do you do a lot of stop and go driving???? What type of pads are you using??? Are you using premium pad or the Key Value Brand??? You must remember the Quest is a big vehicle it's going to be harder on brakes then a car would be..

• sblumsblum Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my 3rd Nissan Quest. I went out to
    dinner and tried to open the passenger door with
    the key. Low and behold no lock cylinder on the
    passenger side. Anybody know if this is a
    brilliant
    engineering decision? My 1999 had a key cylinder
    on both front doors. Do they expect me to always
    use the remote key door opener? Any body notice
    this with their new 2001 Quest?

Steve
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Interestingly, I just saw some decorative cylinder locks at the auto store and I almost bought them for my 99 Quest. Although a good theft deterrent, I can see how they could sometimes be inconvenient. Have you asked your dealer if he could replace them for a regular key lock?

Btw, you should also post this in our regular Nissan Quest forum. I'm sure some of the owners there would be interested in knowing about some of the new 2001 Quest features.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • massodmassod Member Posts: 10
    I bought my quest 98 almost 2 years ago. the car has 24,000 miles now. about 3 weeks ago, I replaced the tires and took the car for yearly inspection which they do check for brake problems. the car passed without any problems. about 2 weeks ago, the car started making noise which is coming from driver side front tire. it makes a squeaky griding noise only when i ma driving forward. the noise goes away when I put the brakes on! why do you think may be the problem? I assume whatever the problem is, it must be covered under the basic 3/36K warranty and therefore the dealer shouldn't charge me. right?

thanks in advance 4 your help,
    This may have been addressed earlier - but I couldn't find the post, so here's my question:
    After starting my 2000 SE and while backing down the driveway, the brakes make a brief noise accompanied by a pulsation felt in the pedal. It's very noticable, but does not happen again until the van is restarted. Could this be the ABS "resetting"? Anyone else notice this? Thanks!
    If you feel this every time you start up this is just your ABS system way of checking it's components..

Kristina/co host our Turn
    yeah, that is cheap taking out the linkage/electronics on the 2001 passenger side lock cylinder. i've got a 2k-VillSport and checked it (since i always use the remote) - it does have a lock. you're right, batteries go dead and certainly there should be a backup design - especially on a door lock.
    my (very insignificant minor) "question" is: where is the fuel door lock. if anything, it guards against vandalism (don't minivans normally travel and stay at hotels?). that's a simple 60-cent solenoid tied to the power locks.
    oh, well.
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    Has anyone changed out brake pads on a 99 Quest? I looked at them last nite and it looks like you need a special (star) tool to remove two bolts.
  • jkrolakjkrolak Member Posts: 38
    Since the Villager/Quest twins will be discontinued during the 2002 build run (Ford has pulled out of the agreement to build them anymore) talking about any changes becomes moot.
    Sigh, just when he van has received a 5-star crash rating and just may be the best van buy on the market -- including the most reliable. I'll have to go out in the garage and kick mine again -- maybe something will go wrong then>>> chuckle.
    While I haven't looked at replacing the pads on my 99 Quest yet, I'll bet the fastener is what is called a "Torx" head. It has become pretty much the standard fastener head for auto & motorcycle manufacturing over the past few years in the U.S.. You can get bits for these (that fit into a standard ratchet) at Sears.

Dave
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    the Quest will still be around after 2002. As a matter a fact, Nissan is planning a "bigger & better" one. Read Edmund's Future Telling. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
    So, what are Edmunds sources on this?

More powerful? Will they be using the 3.5 engine from the Pathfinder? That would be great. Maybe I'll trade ours in yet.

Dave
    The Quest use a Tork Bit to remove there caliper bolts.. You can find this tool in your local Sears...The Tork bit(T40) is also used on a lot of Ford calipers.. They have the bit in a 3/8 size which will fit a 3/8 ratchet.. The outside pad has a long clip almost touching the rotors. Just pry the clip away from the rotor and the caliper should slid off rather easily...

• derosaderosa Member Posts: 10
    Audiovox TV/VCR for Sale. Came with my 99 Quest. Used it once for a road trip, but haven't used it since. Original packaging and manual included. Make offer. jumboload@home.com
  • cochuckcochuck Member Posts: 2
    Is it true that Quests don't have transmission problems? My 1996 Quest with 86,000 miles is currently having it's transmission rebuilt. Am I the only one? The first (and continuing)sign of trouble was a lag in shifting to the next gear until it got to 4500 RPMs. The dealer who checked it 7 months ago said that such shifting was not unusual. The transmission specialist says it was due to metal filings. Has anyone else struggled with this?
  • cochuckcochuck Member Posts: 2
    After reviewing past postings it would appear that the Quest does have a tendency to have transmission problems at 60 to 100 thousand miles. It would also appear that dealers may be hiding the frequency of the problem. I doubt I'll buy another Nissan.
This discussion has been closed.