Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• nightman890nightman890 Member Posts: 3
    If you hear a clicking noise when you turn the key, more than likely it is a bad solenoid. If you get absolutely nothing when turning the key, it is probably your ignition switch in the steering column. Alot of times this is caused either by wear or tilting of the steering wheel.
    I experienced this problem only once with my 87 Buick Century, but I can't remember whether the fix was a MASS AIR FLOW sensor or OXYGEN sensor. My car also blew alot of Black smoke when initially started.
  • fringe1fringe1 Member Posts: 1
    Lately I've been experiencing a problem using my key(s) to start my car. I'm able to get the accessories to work yet no start...not a single sound. Yet, if I use my Remote Start, works all the time. I've had the car for 2yrs, bought it used, Remote Start was installed before I bought it and have had no problems with it. After about 3 or 4 tries with my key (have 3 and all are having an issue) it tends to work. This problem is random, doesn't matter if it's the 1st start of the day or the 3rd...aAny advice would be appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Tammy
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    When you use your remote start, it's working through a relay, and not through the ignition switch on the dash. Sounds like the starting contacts in the ignition switch to me. Possibly could be the Passlock security system also. Does the security light come on when you try to start with the key?
  • docmijdocmij Member Posts: 2
    ATTENTION:
    I had my car towed to a mechanic this morning. Once there, they hooked it up to their Snap-On Code reader. The only code that was stored was a BMC code (not sure which one). The mechanic tried to start the car several times, but never had the car turn over. I mentioned that I even tried to use a second key to start the car, but no luck. The mechanic then left the key in the on position for about 10 to 15 minutes after his last attempt to start it. After that time had elapsed, he turned the key off, turned it back on and started the car. Apparently what has happened is that the chip that is in my wife's key has gone bad and the security program in the car did not recognize it and would not allow the car to start. It shuts off the fuel pump apparently. The code that the mechanic pulled off indicated that the car was forced to try to start with an unauthorized key, (my wife's). When I disconnected the battery at one point, it caused the car to loose its security memory. Having the key in the on position for at least 10 minutes will allow the computer to re-learn its security. now it starts and I am happy. :)
    This is something that showed us signs of trouble early on that went unrecognized. About 6 months ago while my wife was driving the car, the security light came on. I told her to ignore it. Just a glitch. This continued to happen randomly over the past several months, maybe a total of 5 times. Each time I chose to ignore it. I guess that the problem is in my wife's key. I will now have to go to a dealer and get a new key made and programed for her.
    My Daughters 98 Grand Am has check engine light and the car is running real rough. I went to a local garage to find out what the code was, and they said they couldn't get the code because the receptacle is dead. Wanting to prove them wrong, I bought a OBD II scanner and the same thing happened to me. The fault was ERPR. I guess meaning no power. I tried the scanner on my wife's car and it works fine. On the 98 Grand Am I checked ECM fuse and the entire fuse panel for any burnt out fuses inside the car and all the fuses in the box next to the battery. All were fine. Is there another place I can check for fuses, and is there any type of reset for the computer other than disconnecting the battery.
  • frigmadfrigmad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Grand Am SE V6 and the left service engine light came on. was told it was a the fuel cap. they took care of it. last night the light came on again, drove home, parked and got in it this morning, started it and the valves were ticking like mad for about 10 minutes. oil was ok. but it eventually went away. Im no pro but i do know that was not normal. Do you know of any known problems with these cars that would cause this? :sick:
  • blbaadblbaad Member Posts: 2
    Have a question that maybe someone can answer. My 2002 Grand Am recently had the security light come on for a little while then went out, yesterday after driving home from work when my wife returned home and shut the car off a few minutes later we needed to go to the store so we decided to use the car, when we put the key inthe car everything starts as normal in the car and when you turn the key the engine turns as if it's starting but thats allit does..nothing else..I checked the battery and it's fine, the altenator appears to be fine and since it's turning over as normal I assume the starters fine, anyone know if the cars security system does malfunction if it will not allow the car to start? and yes it is the factoy theft deteretn system that comes with the car.
  • michaelemichaele Member Posts: 2
    99 grand am is missfiring on #4 changed fuel injector,coil,spark plug,and wire.did compression check and is still missfiring. can someone help
  • jrkjrk Member Posts: 1
    While driving car security light flashes, door locks start clicking, horn beeps short intervals. Any clues here? Just started with the Security lamp flashing a couple of times a few days ago. Now the door locks are clicking and the horns lets out a quick beep. This happens both running and shut down. ???
  • mrpitsmrpits Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem just last week with my 2000 Grand Am. It turned out to be an malfunction with the PassLock sensor and Ignition Switch. $820 (CDN funds) bucks later it was fixed...

I had noticed for quite some time that the Security light would occasionally stay on while driving. Then, last week I tried to start the car but nothing happened. It would turn, but it would not start. I noticed the security light was flashing. The manual stated I should wait 10 minutes for the light to go out and then try again. I did this and the car started. This happened again the next day and so I took it to the dealer and it turned out that both those parts above failed. I asked them why both would fail at the same time and they told me one caused the other to fail.

The reason the engine turns but does not start is the anti-theft device does not allow fuel to be sent to the ignition if it thinks it has been tampered with (or just malfunctions).

Anyways, it is this kind of crap the really irks me about American cars. I have no issues changing brakes, mufflers etc but things like this are just a complete waste of money. Who knows what the next problem will be.

By the way, I asked if the anti-theft device could be disabled and they told me know.

Goodluck!
  • artemis13artemis13 Member Posts: 4
    Maybe someone can help me out with a problem I'm having. I've a '99 Grand AM SE, and the two rear windows randomly just....fell out of their track. Nothing happened that should warrant such a thing. I drove home, went to sleep, and woke up the next morning, SURPRISE! One of the windows had fallen. Not long after that, it happened to the other one. I managed to "re-track" them, and the passenger side one has remained fixed (In the sense that it no longer falls down; I still lack the ability to roll the window down, though). However, the driver's side window has fallen back out and I cannot get it fixed. I'm relying on 3m sticky tabs (The kind used to hold up pictures on your walls at home) to keep it up, but as hot as it is, the glue is melting, and the hooks are slowly losing their grip. I need to fix this, but I was told by someone else who owned a Grand AM that the problem lies in a small plastic piece that costs about $500 to replace. Per window. Does anyone know anything about this? I'd like to take it by the local Pontiac dealership, but I just don't ever have the time these days. If anyone has any information for me, I'd appreciate it.
    I have no idea what causes this to happen, but I had the same problem a few months back in my '99 Grand AM. Maybe it was sheer coincidence, but a week later, my battery died. Perhaps it happens when you're running low on battery power? I'd ask the dealer if it worries you that much, but all I did was take my car to the dealership so they could unlock my stereo (Since I bought it used and had no passcode), and I've not had further problems. Like I said, maybe it's linked to battery life. That's just a guess, mind you. Hope you can figure it out, whatever it is.
  • armagharmagh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 grand am gt white can anyone thell me what the paint number is for touching it up.

Thank's
  • armagharmagh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 grand am. when the car is at idel after a short time the check engine light comes on.

I have replaced the idel engine control valve and the o2 sensor

thank's
  • phillyvmdphillyvmd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Grand Am with 150,000 miles on it. The car was inspected (state and emissions) in May with no alterations necessary. Soon after, I noticed that when I tried to accelerate from a stop the car would hesitate (sort of a jerking motion). It has worsened to the point that it will stall out if I take my foot off the gas at all while driving (does the same thing in reverse when trying to park). Yesterday I heard a metallic sound while I was driving, like a higher pitched constant grinding. Any ideas? This car is a hand-me-down that I'm hoping to keep running for just one more year, so I'd like to invest the bare minimum amount. Thanks! :confuse:
  • blbaadblbaad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply and yes it turned out to be the passlock which is a damn joke. It was fixed by the dealership for a total of $350 which is a total waste of damn money and like you I asked about disabling it and the dealership said no...what a joke..nothing more than a damn money scam!
  • rt12stringrt12string Member Posts: 1
    I have a '02 G A 2.2. I can hear the fuel pump when the key is put in the on position but no fuel is getting to the rail. I checked the fuses and relay, both are fine. The security light is not flashing and seems to be fine. I tried the turn on and wait 10 minutes thing for Passlock but that doesn't work either. I sprayed starting fluid in it and it did fire and run for a few seconds. What can be the problem? I'm trying to avoid having it towed to the dealer and fix it myself.
  • wolfsabenwolfsaben Member Posts: 1
    My cd player registers that is is receiving power and signal from cds or radio, but no sound is playing through the speakers. This just happened, there was never any fuzz or static. I took it out and plugged in the factory radio and it also registers a signal but no sound plays through the speakers. 1996 Grand Am GT
  • grady1grady1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    Was wondering if anyone knew what other radios would fit a 92 GrandAm
    for instance what other years would fit wihout changing the wiring. i would like to put in a am/fm cd player
    thanks for your help
  • cuminscumins Member Posts: 1
    Problem - brakes locking and releasing, repeatedly, when trying to stop, usually at lower speeds and it seems it is always on the left rear wheel. check engine light is on, as is the ETS Off light - does not change when button is pushed.

What looks similar to an air bag on an airbrake system is inside the rear springs. One has a 1/8 - 1/4 inch hole in center, the one on the left is near-ripped out at the bottom of it.

Does ANYONE know enough about this to steer me in the right direction for diy? Can't really afford to take to dealership mechanic. Need help/insight. :confuse:

Mike
  • nikki7777nikki7777 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Grand am and mine just started doing the same exact thing but what I also didnt notice that someone else did is it has a smell like rotton eggs and I have to get mine checked tomorrow for a converter.A friend of mine said that if the jerking and hesitation are like that it is most likely that.The only thing that is different is my abs light has not came on but my low trac was on friday all day and then shut off yesterday.I have 82,000 miles on mine.Please help.Nicole
  • nikki7777nikki7777 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 grand am and my car is jerking and hesitating alot,it has a rotten smell like rotton eggs and my low trac light is on and off! I have had it looked at and they said it could be my catalitic converter doing all of these things I am just wondering if someone could let me know if this sounds right.I have 82,000 miles on my car.I just bought my car not even a year ago and I dont know if it has ever had a tune up either and a friend of mine told me it could be that! Could someone please give me some heads up on my bad situation! Nicole
  • thegman39thegman39 Member Posts: 1
    I am feeling your pain!!! We have the same car with the same problems! Most important though, is my car shutting off on the highway! I was doing 80 and poof! I hope it is the fuel pump cause that's what I plan on replacing. As far as the other stuff, guess I'll live with it. Ready to get rid of this car soon, too many problems on the horizon. I also have 71K. Peace. :mad:
  • psyco1psyco1 Member Posts: 1
    driving home today and pulled out to pass a car in my 2002 gagt going up a hill got her up to about 70 mph and that was it the rpms were going up to 5500 and it seemed like the transmission was slipping i push on the gas and she races up to 5000-5500 and the thing dosnt pick up speed.anyone have any trouble like that.
  • ahawk87ahawk87 Member Posts: 1
    I just got this car for my high school graduation a little over 2 months ago, 100K mi. First day I drove it the CHECK ENGINE light came on. I can't figure out what is wrong with it! Every now and then the LOW TRAC light will come on, and I don't even know what that is. Definition needed! When accelerating from a stop, on occasion, the RPMs go up, but the car doesn't move! Pressing the gas/break doesn't help, so I throw it into park then into drive again and off I go. What do I need to tell a mechanic about this? How much should it cost? Please, anybody help me. I'm a 17 year old girl and I know NOTHING about cars! :cry:
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention to ETS Off light no longer goes on/off and when I'm driving (AZ Heat) with the air on high my battery light will come on, but the second I turn the air off it shuts off. Should I get my alternator checked? A new battery? I'm in dire need of help....
  • simsjlsimsjl Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 Grand Am 3.6 that just started doing the same exact thing. I am driving down the road about 60-70 and all of a sudden it just shuts off with no spit sputter or hesitation. I have taken it to 2 different mechanics the first one told me it was the plugs, wires, and fuel pump. The second one said he could find anything wrong with it. It wouldnt shut off for either of them. Just as soon as I get in it the thing cuts off 3-4 times before I can get to where I am going. Was it actually the fuel pump did that fix your problem. Please resond ASAP I am so frustrated with this car. I have 90K on my car. Thanks
    Something similar happened to my '95 Grand AM right before the head gasket cracked and water got into my oil. Mine wouldn't shut off while I was driving 60-70, but it would once I hit 20 or lower. Wish I knew what to tell you.
  • gator_chickgator_chick Member Posts: 3
    The rotton eggs smell is probably your battery. Mine did the same thing.
  • desichickdesichick Member Posts: 3
    hi artemis13,

I was just reading what you wrote, and I'm experiencing the same problem you had. My battery died, and once I gave it a jump start, I couldn't get the radio to work. I bought the car used, and when I tried the password given, it wouldn't work. Now, whenever I try, all I get is an INOP sign. No matter, how long it's been since I last tried. Anyway, if it's not too personal, would you tell me how much the dealer charged you to unlock the stereo?
    Thanks,
    desichick
    My battery died, and once I gave it a jump start, I couldn't get the radio to work. I bought the car used, and when I tried the password given, it wouldn't work. Now, whenever I try, all I get is an INOP sign. No matter, how long it's been since I last tried. Anyway, if anyone has had this problem can you tell me what you did?

And if you went to a car dealer, how much did they charge?
    Thanks.
    I had the same problem, so I went to the dealer. After twenty minutes, they gave me back my keys and told me to have a good day. No payment was involved. So I simply say to you: Go to the dealer. It SHOULD be free, as it was for me. I mean, it's possible they'll charge you, but as I said, I got mine fixed for free, so hopefully you will, too.
  • green5green5 Member Posts: 22
    I have a question. How much reliable is the grandam from the acrua tl? Has anyone had any trouble as far as DIY maintance? with the 2003 to 2004?
  • switcherswitcher Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Grand Am with a 2.4 that dies as soon as it starts. It's kind of a weird problem I have never encountered before. You turn the key, the fuel pump whirls, it starts, runs 1 or 2 seconds and then dies. If you try to restart it without turning the key to the full off position it will not restart but if you turn it all the way off you can restart it for 1 or 2 seconds until you are blue in the face. I have traced and cleaned all fuel lines as well as detached the fuel rail and placing a cup under each injector. Fuel will spit out as long as you crank it. I have verified a spark at each plug and as well as that all the fuses are good. Any ideas?
  • ducksworldducksworld Member Posts: 4
    My Grand Am was disabled recently by a issue in the igntion switch. The dealer ship has not left me with feeling of confidence in the issue. He started out by telling me that it was the keys, the sensors needed to be reprogramed. Later telling me that they were mistaken that keys didn't have sensors in them. They would have to hook it up to a computer at 55.00 a hour to find the issue. A hour an a half later they decided it was probably a part called a pass lock sensor. A 400.00
    gizmo to replace. I ask what it does and they said it scans the key to verify before allowing they motor to start. What does it scan, there is no sensor in these keys, I said, the grooves.
    I mean time I've discovered 2-3 other people who have had the same issue on similiar cars, one person is on his second sensor in three months and all are as uncertain about the issue as I am. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Also, I've been told that this sensor can be bypassed. :mad:
  • rorytaterorytate Member Posts: 21
    I havea 1994 standard grand am
    Last night on the way home it started to over heat, i felt the hot air blowing out of the vents. Once tha was happening we noticed the water temp gauge rising very quickly. We ended up pulling over in a lot and notice it was POURING coolant out of the L shaped house at the back of the engine housing area (firewall).
    Less than 2 weeks ago we had teh water pump replaced.
    Any Ideas? The sooner the better...
    :mad:
    As i was trying to open the hood, the cable snapped. Temporary fix for it is pliers, but i want to know what would be involved in replacing the cable, am I able to just pull that cable out and string a new one through the sheath thats there?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to repost both of these messages in our Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion - someone there may be able to help. Good luck!
    ok thanks for the help! I've posted them there ;)
    Good and good luck with the problems - let us know how it goes.
    hey everyone,

I just wanted to say that taking my grand am to the dealer was the best thing. He took care of it right in front of me. It didn't even take 2 minutes. I found out the previous owner gave me the wrong code. Thanks for all your help.
    That's great to hear - thanks for letting us know.

And don't be a stranger! :)
    Did the by pass on the heatercore
    and i'm still working on getting the cable fitted. someone said they had teh same problem and tied a string to the one end of the old one, and one to the new end and pulled it all the way through..sounds like what i want to do.!
  • iqalamiqalam Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 2002 Grand Am SE, and for some reason my heater switch will only work on the 4 and 5 notches, not 1, 2 or 3. This happened suddenly one day. Does anyone know what may be casueing this? And is there a quick fix?

Thanks in advance.
    IqalAm
    Blower motor resistor. It's been discussed here time and again. Do a search for it here and on the Olds Alero forum for all the details.
  • ozarkozozarkoz Member Posts: 1
    The "new" (relative term) cars that are computer controlled require a certain voltage to perform as they should. The GM "threshold" is 9 volts +/-. When your electrical system drops below the 9 volt +/- minimum, you will see all kinds of things happen. Your computer can't effectively operate and it will throw all kinds of dash lights and radio problems your way. My 98 Grand Am experienced this some time ago and I found that my alternator was shot. Easy check ... Take a digital multimeter and read the battery voltage with the car turned off; should be 13 plus volts. Have someone else crank the car up and you watch the meter, voltage will drop but shouldn't hit the 9 volt mark when cranking. Once running the voltage should pretty much return to 13.5 - 14 volts (approx). Also try turning on your headlights and you should see a very, very quick drop and recovery of the voltage then try the a/c and the same should happen. If your voltage does not return to 13.5 + volts your battery could be the problem but I'd bet on the alternator. Take the car to any car parts dealer and they will test your battery free, with it still in the car. Oh, to get an accurate test result, charge your battery before going to the auto parts store. Hope this helps some. :)
    The battery should read 12.6V nomally when at rest. Higher if it's just been under charge, but it will settle to 12.6V.
  • spunk1965spunk1965 Member Posts: 7
    :cry: I started out with an '89 Grand Am (which would not die!), then move up to a 1994 and again to a 1998 GT (my son totaled the 1994). I have to say it seems that the older models were much better. I have been diligent with the normal maintenance/repairs but I can certainly add some stuff to your list. My 1998 has nickled and dimed me to death. I wished I had realized GM was on strike then!!
    The window regulators, one by one , went first starting with my '94 (almost $$$$400 a piece), the brake dust on the rims looks awful, I do feel every little bump/pothole in the road, the plastic gizmos in the interior have been popping off left and right, and now at about the 100,000k mark we have an electrical problem; one of the fuses under my hood keeps blowing. Consequently, I have no get up and go, the coolness of the AC disappears and once in PARK will not shift out of gear until I change the fuse.
    I was once a very loyal Grand Am owner but I'm having second thoughts.
    Can I ask if you have a remote car starter? I had a similar experience only the garage I dealt with was smart enough to call the dealership to get a code to by pass the thing-a-majig. Originally, they had asked me if I had a spare dealership issued key...that didn't work. However, the mechanic told me that if it should happen again to turn the key (without actually starting it) and let it sit for about 10 minutes then it should turn over. That was about a year ago and I haven't had any problems since but he did tell me it had to do with the installation of the remote car starter. When that was installed they have to bypass something and that was what screwed things up that particular time. I hope this helps...I really miss the days when cars were simple!
    I'm hoping maybe you solved my problem. I have a fuse (under the hood) that controls the get up and go, the A/C coolant (blower works but not cool air), and when I put the car in park it stays there until I change the fuse again. I can only hope it's something as simple as that. It's worth a shot. Thanks. :D