Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• spunk1965spunk1965 Member Posts: 7
    I had a 1989 Grand Am and was tired of dealing with some of the issues..I traded up to a newer model. The problem I had was once the car was running for awhile it would just shut down. After it cooled down it would start just fine until I ran it for awhile. The people I sold it to had the problem fixed for about $200...it was the exhaust modulator. Good Luck! :mad:
    I had the same problem with my '89 and took it to a couple mechanics...they were stumped. After I sold it the buyers told me it was the exhaust modulator. I'm on my third Grand Am since then and my last!! :mad:
    As I have mentioned before...does the car have a remote car starter? I tried both of my keys and neither would work so the mechanic called the dealer and bypassesed/reset some code. He did warn me that my theft light may still come on and if the same thing happed, turn the key, wait 10 +/- minutes and it should turn over. The thing is, it happened a year or so ago and hasn't done it since. Now I have a new slew of problems (electrical). :lemon: For you; It's only the beginning!
    My '98 is doing something similar only all my dash lights come on when it happens. There are some fuses under your hood to the left of the battery, I would check those first. My car stays in park and will not come out of it until I change the fuse. as for the anti theft light...generally it may have to do with either the computer chip in your key or if you have a remote car starter the relay may need to be bypassed by resetting the code or try turning your key to the "ON" position, waiting 10 minutes and try starting it. Actually try the latt :mad: er first!
  • ducksworldducksworld Member Posts: 4
    It doesn't have anything to do with the remote starter. It's a security device in the ignition switch called a "pass lock sensor". About a 350.00 repair job. This is getting to be a issue for GM cars the size of the Grand AM. The trick to start the car of waiting 10 mins. to allow the error message to clear out works for a while.
    But folks who have had the experience tell me that evently it will not. On the other hand I talked with a man the other night who has had 2 sensors replaced since Jan. and the darm car refused to start again the other night and the dealer says it's a defective sensor. So, good luck !! :confuse: :P
    Another issue with this great little car. Oh I miss my Ford. After I purchased it I found out it has keyless entry, but no remotes. I purchased a remote on ebay. I've found that may cars have a way to program the remote with out going to the expense of the dealer and his scan tool. Can anyone tell me if this car has a way
    to do this proceedure ?. :confuse: :surprise:
  • unekgalunekgal Member Posts: 15
    OK, I'm not sure what the part is, but it cracked almost completely. I have a 95 Grand Am Sedan and on the front driver's side, right below the strut, there is a metal plate/piece that is broke almost completely in half. I cut my wheel to the right and heard 2 loud pops, and then my wheel was rubbing on the fender. I looked underneath and this metal piece (2 pieces on top of each other) was cracked. The tierod and strut brace/support looks to be connected to it. It also looks like the ABS cables run along it. Does anyone know what it is called?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Sounds like the lower control arm to me.
    I found a another entry for Pontiac Keyless Entry programing that the contributor
    says will work for my 03. But I can't locate the Mall Pgm Fuse. I've checked all fuse boxes and the layout in the manual and there's not a list for this fuse. Can some one tell me where to find it. Please !! :confuse:
  • rachel8182rachel8182 Member Posts: 1
    I'm just going to be honest. I know absolutely nothing about my car other than how to pump gas and change a tire. (tire if it's a good day:)) but i know that my vents spew this god awful smell whenever i turn the fan on. it smells like old cigarettes and mold. is there anything that i can do to make it go away besides using bottles of perfume spray?? PLEASE HELP!!!
    Rachel :cry:
  • green5green5 Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone ever had any repetative problems with a 2003-05 grand am gts?

In other words, constant problems one after another.
  • otter1otter1 Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem. How did you fix problem?
    There's no 05 Grand Am GT, 2004 was the last year for the Grand Am. At just under 20k miles on my 04 GT, my answer is no.
    Then I am just talking about the 04-03s. Has anyone who had these year models of Grandam GTs had any signficant/ constant problems with those grand ams?

The reason is, I might buy one, however, I am not a big GM car fan. Seeing how they are put together.
  • birgitbirgit Member Posts: 1
    i replaced the passenger cv joint ( half shaft) on my 92 grand am last night since it was making rubbing and popping noises for a while, after i was done i took it for a test drive but didn't make it more than 50 feet out of the driveway before my transmission went out :( does anyone know if this is related to me replacing the cv joint ???? i bought the car used from someone about 6 month ago and have had nothing but problems with it,PLEASE HELP ....i'm military and don't have a lot of time to research the problem, my wife needs the car to run again ASAP. Thanks
  • chelleshockchelleshock Member Posts: 2
    it could be the torche convertor sensor or the 02 sensor, the catalic convertor is causing the smell but the 02 and torch convertor cause the jerking and trac light on off to happen
  • chelleshockchelleshock Member Posts: 2
    DOES ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON THESE CARS FOR THE NEW 2.2LTR 4 CYL. MODEL, SEDAN STYLE? I OWN A GRAND PRIX GT AND LOVE THE 3800 MOTOR AND AM LOOKING AT BUYING A 2002 GRAND AM SE1 FOR MY SON ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE HELPFUL IN MY DECISION, ANY REAL PROBLEMS OR ENGINE CONCERNS????/
    I am just wondering, from here the problems of grandams, would buying one as a sports car, be worth it verses getting a Ford Mustang?
    Depends. You have to compare apples with apples. A Mustang GT V8 is in a different class than a Grand Am GT.
  • jhannerjhanner Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have a power steering leak and have to top off my fluid every 3 days. Should I assume that that power steering pump has gone bad and needs replacing or do I have other problems that I needs to have looked at. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jhamaul Hanner
    No. Most likely there's a leak in one of the hoses or in the rack and pinion assembly. I had this very problem with our 95 and it turned out to be a leak in the high pressure hose near where it connects to the pump.
  • unekgalunekgal Member Posts: 15
    I am once again tearing apart my 95 Grand Am, and this time it's the struts. I am working on the driver's side strut assembly, I have the spring compressed, but there is one bolt, kind of oval shaped, and I can't get it off. Is there a special tool? Threaded backwards? I even thought it tapped out, so I left the nut on and tried that route, but no luck. Please help.
  • pontiacdudepontiacdude Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes my car will start without a hitch. But I have a problem with the starting, sometimes if I move the key from the ignition to the on position it wants. you can hear the engine like it is going to start but doesn't. I have changed the fuel filter and still the same problem happens. Could someone tell me what is wrong with my car? could it be the fuel pump,fuel injectors or the ignition switch since it appears to not work. Sometimes the key is locked in the ignition switch and will not turn inside, I have to wiggle it to get the key unlocked and start the car. Someone please help.

pontiac dude-
  • chevy03chevy03 Member Posts: 2
    What's the easiest way to flush the cooling system on a 94 pontiac grand am? I need to flush the whole system. It's got a new thermostat and the water pump seems ok, and there are no system leaks. It sounds like air is trapped in the heater core? water
    sounds come from under the dashboard like splashing water? No leak in the heater core either. I checked under the dash. Any suggestions? Ken
  • dloomisdloomis Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT coupe. I have noticed that the past few months it has had trouble firing. The frequency of the problem became more frequent until about three weeks ago it wouldn't start; it would turn over but wouldn't fire. I loaded it onto a trailer and brought it to a mechanic. After unloading the car would start. We left it with the mechanic and he ran some tests on it and said that, although it had started every time for him, the fuel pump may be going.
    Since it would start I drove it for about two more weeks, some times it would fire right up and some times it would have trouble, and one day it wouldn't start again. It sat for three days, I tried to start it again but it wouldn't fire. I brought it back and again after unloading it would start again. The mechanic has had it for a week now and it has started every time for him. I can hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key Run position just before ignition. Before replacing the fuel pump I would like to know if there is anything else that could be causing this ignition problem. I use regular gas, should I try using Premium? fuel cleaner? anything else I should try checking?

Thanks,

Doug
  • halloranhalloran Member Posts: 1
    I have the above car (2000 Grand Am GT) - recently, I've experienced electrical problems; specifically, moments after the car is started (usually when on a hill), the electrical system "blinks", the engine hiccups, the radio may go out, and when severe, the engine will die and the clock needs resetting... Sounds like a short to me; but I cannot find it. To make matters worse, the problem is now permanent - the car won't start, no lights, no nothing (the emergency flasher makes a quick tittling sound - that all I can get out of it). Has anyone experiences something similar - where should I look next (I've looked, rattled, pushed, pulled everything visible under the hood - maybe to my detriment).

Thanks,

mjh
  • sincitysycosincitysyco Member Posts: 5
    i had the same issue with mine but was a 96 and i added new starter adn other things i think its in the ignition or if you have an alarm remove the alarm and replace the igniton. its what i did and worked fine.
    replace the map sesnsor probley i had to do that with mine when it did that.
    theres a power draw on there or probley something grounding check battery cables or alternator and make sure powers getting there and if so if you have like an sterio amp or alarm check thoose they can drain the batter or shut off the car. especially an alarm
    have your vents flushed
    I found an used pontiac grandam, 2000, for $5,995 at a dealership, its in perfect condition, runs beautifully, the only problem is that it has 95,000 miles on it already, so I can't decided whether or not it's worth looking into purchasing. :confuse:
  • fernando1fernando1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 GrandAM SE with 20K miles. It works great except there is aparently no way to turn the air conditioner off using the button. If I turn the fan off, the light goes off. Turn the fan on agin and the light comes back on. The push button seems to do nothing. Am I missing something? Seems to be a defect, but I thought I should check before brining it in. Anyone have any expience with this?
    Thank you in advance.
    Fernando1
    Do you have the selector set to max? If so, the compressor runs all the time when the fan is on, independent of the A/C light/switch. When set to normal (fresh air), the next setting to the right of max, the compressor will go on and off with the switch/light as long as the fan is on.
  • mn_jack76mn_jack76 Member Posts: 7
    My brother owns a 95 Grand Am Se V-6 with about 140,000 miles. It has picked up a serious thud, thud, thud from the front right wheel. I switched the front tire to the rear hoping it was just a tire weight missing, no go. Now the problem has gotton worse, to the point I wonder when I'm going to get the call to go rescue him. about six months ago I replaced one head (due to a stuck valve) and both head gaskets, since then the engine runs like brand new and the thump is unrelated to engine rpm. It is defitnetly related to speed, however, in drive or neutral. The sound goes away on a hard right turn. Am I looking at a CV joint, strut, bearing? I am unfamiliar with Grand Am's and would just like to narrow it down. :surprise:
    Well I took apart the right side and found a failed bearing seal which let water in and was just a matter of time till the bearing got as bad as it did - I wouldn't have given it another 5 miles. Cost here in Minnesota was $76 dollars and another $26 for brake pads while I was at it :)
    I hope this helps other Grand Am members :)
    Sorry hearing that. I doubt your transmission went out the same time you replaced the axleshaft (constant velocity joints are a part of that axleshaft) I do know that if the axle comes free of the transmission it will bleed out all its fluid especially in automatics. I would look at engine mounts as a possible reason, especially if you replaced the axleshaft and it still kicked out. Also inspect all right side suspension components. If the axleshaft has room to come apart, it will. Again, I know Grand Am's have issues on issues, but that's too much of a coincident. :)
  • dalsteindalstein Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, just wondering if someone could help me with a problem. One day i went to turn on my wipers and nothing happened. I checked the fuse first, thinking that this was the most likely problem, but the fuse was fine. I also made sure to top up my wiper fluid, but that didnt work either. has anyone else had similar problem with their car, or any ideas as to what it could be?? HELP ME PLEASE, WHEN ITS RAINING I'M UNDER HOUSE ARREST!!
    Hello Dalstein, The first thing is to take the electrical connecter off the wiper motor and check for voltage when the wiper switch is on. A multi tester should clear that up. Hopefully you have power and I'ts just a bad wiper motor. Good Luck!
  • welovebugswelovebugs Member Posts: 1
    My husband replaced the battery and the trac off light is on and it shifts really hard.... couldnt find the trac button.. Is there something that I can do? No manual came with the car. Help. Thanks
  • soto1soto1 Member Posts: 1
    hello, i just read what you wrote about your brake problem, seems we have similar problems i have a 2004 GA GT two months after i bought it i had to bring it into the shop, brakes werent working, pontiac could not find a problem except rust on the rotars so they cleaned them up. Well funny as it seems the car has been back to the shop a number of times and they say if the problem doesnt happen when they are in it then there is no problem... I have had to have my rotors done again and break pads in front and still to this day I keep losing all brakes. I called GM and they say there is nothing they can do for me...
  • rustygirl123rustygirl123 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1993 grand am it will start sometimes but if you give it gas or just let it idle it will die i just put new plugs in it about couple of months ago. i used heet in the gas. PLEASE HELP!!
    First place I would check is the fuel pump & filter.
  • dalsteindalstein Member Posts: 5
    Hey, does anyone know much it will cost to get wiring problems fixed vs. replacing a windshield wiper motor? I know the motor replacement wont be too much cause its not an expensive part. I just wanted to get an idea of how much electrical problems usually cost to fix. Would it be worth it to do myself??
  • pontiacdudepontiacdude Member Posts: 2
    thanks, will try.

pontiacdude
  • andysgtandysgt Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of a Standard transmission for the 97 Grand am GT's?
    Do you mean:
    Was a 97GT available with manual? Yes, only with 4 cyl engine.
  • sueyesueye Member Posts: 1
    Any one else having a problem with power window failures. Have had 3 driver side and 2 passenger side in 2000 grand am fixed in 5 years. at $400 a pop getting frustrated. Passenger side now won't go down. :mad:
  • canuckchickletcanuckchicklet Member Posts: 1
    Hello - we have a 1999 Grand Am and experienced the same problem today. It appears to have been a left front strut coil spring that was broken and to replace this part it cost us $ 357.00 Canadian - ouch!!

Hope this helps you!

Chantal
  • 2001gt75thanni2001gt75thanni Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like the fan has gone out you may want to get that looked at bc if the water(from the ac) backs up it could short the wires thats also in with the fan.