Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• 2001gt75thanni2001gt75thanni Member Posts: 3
    I have me a 2001 grand am GT 75th anniversary ..... 20,250 miles on it... no thats not a typo. Just curious if there was anyone else out there that has one.
  • jhenriejhenrie Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have an 01 Grand Am SE1 v6. It's been great, but recently we've gone through two batteries- something is draining the battery when the car is shut off. I'm pretty sure it isn't the alternator, more like some slow electrical short somewhere, but it doesn't interfere with the car's operation when it's on. Has anyone seen this before?
  • 2001gt75thanni2001gt75thanni Member Posts: 3
    well all i have ever heard of doin that is the altennator.... but if you run a dianostic test on it, it should tell you the sorce of the problem. maybe if you try adding a tylenol to the battery ... that might make it stop but i would run the test first. I usta get mine done at auto zone... but if you have a warrenty on it then you could go to the dealer... also if you dont have a warrenty you can have it done for like 20 bucks at the dealer.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Yes. It could be any number of things, a light staying on when it shouldn't (trunk, glove box, etc), one of the microprocessors staying active when it shouldn't, voltage regulator starting to break down, etc.
  • mbg23mbg23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Am GT with the same problem. I have not yet paid for any repairs because I can't believe that the "motor" (as the dealer tells me) is where the problem exists. My driver's window and the rear driver's side window (as of tonight) do not operate. However, it is not permanant...sometimes they will work. While the rear window just started this, my driver's window had been working for about two months. Therefore, I cannot believe that the motor burned out and then started working again. It has to be an electrical issue - but i'm no mechanic nor an electrician - just frustrated and will never buy another GM car ever!!! I tried their wonderful customer service via the phone - what a joke. Aside from the windows, I also have constant clicking (sounds like the turning signal is always on - I get recall notices all the time for a turn signal / hazzard switch replacement but that doesn't fix the clicking. The delarship says that'll be another 275.00 to fix. :mad:
  • jayme1jayme1 Member Posts: 2
    Replaced my old lifters for my 1995 Grand Am GT 2 door, V6 3.1L because I was getting a tick noise.
    Well, once we got them in and then tightened the bolt on the motor (valve lash I think its called).

Well, when we tighten it 3 of my hyd. lifters dont wanna pump the oil through. But when its lose it has no problems at all and well I cant keep it lose..

So does anyone have ANY idea what this could be? bc were totally stumped!
    What procedure are you using to adjust the hydraulic lifters? Your not just tightening them down are you?
  • montinkomontinko Member Posts: 3
    what causes the car not to start when it has ran hot?It didnt go dead it was turned off but know want start
    I have a Grand Am that ran hot and stopped at a service station to let it cool down and know it want start
    What do you think happend
    Do you think that it get to hot and jumped time
  • igiigi Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have replaced my front break pads on my 2001 Grand Am, a few weeks later - the ABS, TRAC OFF & "Service Vehicle Soon" warnings turned on. I am not sure what is wrong.. Any ideas !???

Please help me before I spend $$$ on GM mechanics.

Thank you very much !!
  • joshyd1985joshyd1985 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i just wanted to ask you how to go about changing the hose. my car has the same problem. any help would be awesome. thanks
    I had to change the pressure hose, it was leaking at the crimp on the pump end. As I remember it wasn't to hard to get to the fitting on the pump end, but the other one on the steering rack is right under the wiper motor. I tried to get to it without removing the motor but eventually went ahead and took it off. That of course meant removing the wiper arms, cowl cover, and disconnecting the arm off the wiper motor so I could get it out. After that it wasn't too hard but was still a tad difficult to get to. Re-assemble everything, fill the power steering fluid and turn the wheel back and forth several times to purge the air out. Haven't had any trouble with it since then.
    I believe the reason the hose started leaking is because that point is where it seems to flex a lot when the moter torques back and forth.
    Some people would say to go ahead and change the return hose at the same time since it will be easily accessible. That's up to you. I didn't since it looked fine.
  • scottyman2003scottyman2003 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 Grand Am SE is doing that too, when you say that you have to wait about 10-11 minutes and it will reset, how am i waiting, with the key in the ACC position? because i have waited over night and it still wont start.
    i had just replaced the ignition assembelly, and this is when it started doing this, it makes sence that it thinks that i am trying to steal it, i just dont want to have to tow it to a dealer now, and pay them to reset it if i can do it myself.
  • dsmith_65dsmith_65 Member Posts: 3
    First off I've experience all of the brake/rotor problems that this make and model of pontiac is know for. Recently however, my 2000 Grand has been making a creaking noise and I can feel a single click in the brake pedal the first time I apply the brakes after backing up. I put the car in drive and the first time a apply the brakes when going forward (after backing up) the same thing happens, creaking and a single click can be felt in the brake pedal. It sounds like the creaking is coming from under the car somehwere. Could the clicking be the brake pads shifting? If it is what do I need to do to get it fixed? Front Brake pads and calipers are only a year old, and rear shoes are at about 50%.
    Are the rear brakes adjusted properly? They're self adjusting of course, but if the adjusters are not working they may have extra travel. How's the brake pedal height? Does the pedal travel a long way when you apply the brakes?
  • dsmith_65dsmith_65 Member Posts: 3
    Brake pedal height and travel are normal. Not sure if the rear shoes are adjusted properly, I know that they self adjust when the vehicle is in reverse. However, I didn't think it should be "clicking" all the time. What do I need to do to tell if the adjusters are working properly?
    By the way......Thanks for the reply its greatly appreciated.
  • nanjangudnanjangud Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 1999 Grand Am with 125000 miles on it and running fine. It has developed s funny problem.
    While driving it suddenly starts making 'click-clack' chattering type noise. It is as if some wire has gone loose from the some of the switches under the steering wheel. The noise is the same noise which comes when you put on the directional indicator.Anybody got any idea.The dealer service guy says 'Replace the switch unit under the steering'.
    Will this help
  • jim73jim73 Member Posts: 3
    how many pounds of freon does a 1996 grand am se hold
  • hoosier205hoosier205 Member Posts: 1
    I have this paticular vehicle. I am curious to find out what the difference is between it and the standard GT model. I will be a little disappointed if it is only the emblem on the side of the car and the ones stitched on seats. Thanks for the feedback folks....
    I doubt that the adjusters are frozen on a car that new, and since the pedal height is normal I wouldn't pursue that anymore. You can check them two ways: If the drum is off you can simply hold the adjuster lever away from the star wheel and see if the adjuster turns normally, or you can use a screwdriver or brake spoon and do the same thing from the backside through the adjustment access slot in the backing plate with it all assembled. Either way though you need to re-adjust the brakes after checking it.
    Since you say it only happens after backing up it kind of points to something shifting or positioning. Are you sure you can actually "feel" it in the pedal or is it more of a noise?
  • silliekimisilliekimi Member Posts: 1
    LOL! I know its not funny, its frustrating. A lot, I usually put a gallon in every week. I advise you not to take it somewhere, they'll bend you over backwards. I've had sooo many problems with my '96 se, but when she runs she's a good car. I replaced the radiator, and all of the hoses to fix the problem, but it still hasn't done anything. If you have any other problems, feel free to ask. The a/c just went out in mine.... Thank god I just had my heater core replaced for the winter!

~SillieKimi
  • blinkblink Member Posts: 2
    Whats the latest on communication with gm, i too have a 2004, se2, also, i have a ncaa edition, i have been unable to find out anything on it, such as added value to the car etc, any help would be nice
  • blinkblink Member Posts: 2
    on the side and rear of my grand am, its has a logo that says ncaa, the dealer said it was a nascar edition/ Any input on this? Does it add extra value? Also I keep reading about the paint chips in the hood, my car has only 15k on it, and there is noticable chips through out the hood, my 99 mazda with 105k, that hood doesn't look as bad, is gm gonna repaint our hoods or what?
  • glassglass Member Posts: 1
    Help me please- my dome light and my floor lights wont turn off unless I take the fuse out. What is causing this? and How do I fix it. My car was in the shop for a week and a half because someone backed into my fender- I had no other problems until I got the car back. The dealership tells me they didn't touch anything that has to do with electrical. But this only started happening when I got the car back.
  • cillysandycillysandy Member Posts: 1
    Help! My 2001 grand am se with only 18,200 miles just had to replace fuel pump and fuel injector. Now I am having problem with exhaust fumes coming in thru vents. Cannot drive with window up. Mechanic thinks I'm crazy. I did not have this problem prior to repairs being done. Any insight? Could something happened when fuel injector was replaced??
  • pmikulcikpmikulcik Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to replace the driver's side headlight but can't find a way to get at the bulb. There is a black plactic cover which seems to lead nowhere and a metal cover with two bolts. I'd rather know where to start that spend hours just fishing. Any help?
  • pmikulcikpmikulcik Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that the headlight is on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. Sorry
  • 4doorga4doorga Member Posts: 1
    Hey ive had my 1997 grand am for about a year now and i have put on a body kit, got it painted, put rims on it, a wing, and also some sweet blackouts. I was wondering if there was any performance motors or anything that I could do to my 2.4L twin cam motor to make it something worth driving? My fastest quarter mile time with this motor was a 16.9 and I was seeing if there was anything to help me out. If anyone has any information to help me out thank you!!!
  • elliscellisc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Grand AM SE with manually controlled door mirrors. My question concerns the cable and knob that controls the mirror. There is a hole in the upper portion of the interior door trim where the cable knob is supposed to come through. The cable itself has fallen down inside the door panel. I am assuming there is some sort of housing or sleeve that fits inside that hole to which the cable knob is fastened.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
  • wjbartonwjbarton Member Posts: 1
    Hi Doug, did you find out what was up with your Grand Am? I have a 1999 Grand Am GT that's doing the exact same thing, started happening a couple days ago. I turn the ignition on, and no fuel pump for like the first 10 tries. Then, for some wacky reason, I try it again after a minute or so and voila, I hear the fuel pump, crank it up and the car starts no problem. I wasn't so lucky this morning - I tried a zillion times and the fuel pump never came on. The battery has tons of juice.

Just to complicate things with probably useless information, I have a Viper remote start alarm and a couple amps, but I've tried putting the alarm in valet mode and pulled the face off my radio, to make sure the amps aren't turned on.

Any thoughts?
  • jayqjayq Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i own a 1996 pontiac grand am gt. I have been odrering and adding mods to it. I added the black altezza euro lights and was wondering if anyone knew if there are any future plans for having New projection headlights/euros for the 96-98 models. I have called around a lot, and noone knows if, when, or where they are making them. Any clues?
  • strohkstrohk Member Posts: 1
    Seems to be a rash of this lately...

My 2001 GA SE won't start. I'm guessing fuel pump problems. On my other car, there is a fuel pump access in the trunk. It looks like the fuel tank is under the rear seat on the GA. Is there an access under the seat? Or do I have to drop the tank? If there is an access under the seat, how do I remove the seat?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
  • caddylackcaddylack Member Posts: 1
    In a 1995 GA V6, are the transmission mounts the same on a automatic as a standard. Are there any differences in the cases other than the linkage. Will any other modifications be needed other than the clutch, clutch pedal, shifter, flywheel, and linkage (clutch and shifter).
    Thanks
  • jojetetajojeteta Member Posts: 1
    We are having the same issues with our 2001 Grand Am, is that all you had to do is get a new key made? The mechanic could not find any problems from the diagnostic testing, so they say it could be the pass lock sensor and it would cost us $657.71 but yet they are not sure if thats the real problem. If we are constantly putting the key on the on position for about 10 minutes to start the car, wouldn't that mess the computer system eventually?
  • squakersquaker Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Grand Am. There is a clicking noise coming from behind the radio. I was told it was the air conditioning relay. Had it replaced and still hear the noise. Then I was told it was the flasher module. Had this replaced and again still hear the noise. Any suggestions to what this problem could be. This noise is very obnoxious.
  • dloomisdloomis Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I did get the problem fixed and it was not the fuel pump that was the problem. The problem actually affected the fuel pump. The main problem was the fact that water was leaking into my car. I had 4 leaks in the windshield cowl and also a leak around the fresh air intake for the A/C. The water was getting into the wiring, which was tripping the security system. As you may know if the security system detects a faulty start, i.e. someone is trying to start the car without the keys, and then the fuel pump is shut off so that the car will not start and no one can steal the car. The other problem was that the wiring was corroding which in turn shorted out the Body Command Module. My car is also leaking around the doors because of defective weather stripping and Pontiac does offer corrected replacement stripping, but I have yet to replace it. Over all the leaks cost around $150 to repair, but the main blow to my wallet came from the BCM; it over $600. After labor expenses were included I ended up spending over $800.
  • recallrecall Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Am and am putting a second fuel pump in. I also have a problem with the electrical system and the ignition key. Does anyone know if there is an electrical recall, ignition or fuel pump recall going on? If not, how do you get one started. I spoke to some people that have pontiacs in general and they have similar problems: Car acellerates or slows down and then dies. I am desperate for an answer to this car riddle. My "trac off" light comes on right before my car dies, but the dealer has no clue what this means. Hence they try and fix everything else thats NOT broken as a means to find the problem. :cry: :sick:
  • acuerdoacuerdo Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I was wondering whether some of you can provide me with valuable advice. My GrandAm GT V6's meters (speedmeter etc.), they all jump from one side to the other even the motor itself is turned off -the key is just turned-. I have taken the car to a mechanic, he has taken a look at the fuse, also taken out the dash board etc., but, he cannot find the problem. He thinks it might be a mere miscontact but doesn't know where.

I'd be happy if you could help and I would really apprecite it.

Thank you!
  • lord_fanglord_fang Member Posts: 1
    my 02 grand am is doin the same thing. it sounds like the flasher module is freekin out but if you replaced it and the problem is still there im not sure what it could be but i agree that its obnoxious. if you find the problem please let me no b/c i'd love to fix it.
  • curylockscurylocks Member Posts: 9
    Bug in 2001 Grand Am won't Start Car.

A bug in 2001 Pontiac Grand Am's causes them to simply not start, right out of the blue. Better hope you're not in the wrong neighborhood when it happens 'cause almost nobody knows what the fix is.

(PRWEB) February 21, 2005 -- If you own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am, you'd better hope you're not stuck somewhere bad when this hits: You go to start your car, and the engine cranks, but it seems like your out of gas, and won't start. Numbers of people then have the car towed to a shop, only to find that the car easily starts after being towed, but no cause is ever found.

The problem is that the RKE (remote keyless entry) system has a defect in it that causes car not to start. As of now there is no recall on the passlock systems. As for a fix, the experts are honestly not sure.

To reset the computerized system, put key in the ignition and leave it in 'On' position for about ten minutes. Then turn it off, and try - it should start then. Warning: continued resetting of the computer this way will eventually damage computer and will cost lots to replace/fix.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi, and welcome to our Forums.

We need for you to post a link to that information, please.

Thanks!
    AS SOON AS I CAN GET MY 2001 GRANDAM TO ALLOW ME TO START IT AGAIN... PASSLOCK ISSUES... I AM GONNA DRIVE IT TO THE TOYOTA DEALER AND LEAVE IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!
    Leave it there!! Trust me! cuz it may run today but tomorrow the passlock system will not allow u to start it.. great cars.. good fuel economy... comfy but ya never know when they are gonna decide that u are stealing them .. and wont start...
    heres a link to contact pontiac maybe if enough of us email them they will get the idea at pontiac?

link title
  • tworralltworrall Member Posts: 2
    Hey, regarding that noise i have a 2002 grand am as well i believe it has something to do with the signal indicator. It sounds exactly like the turn signal. I need help too. Mine is still under warranty. If worse comes to worse ill pay 100 bucks to have it checked but if someone can help b4 that please do.
  • tworralltworrall Member Posts: 2
    just a note to all grandam owners i just found out that there is a computer recall/upgrade for 2002 grand ams. Call GM its a free fix. It may be for others years as well but not sure.
    I have filed a complaint with the NHTS maybe if enuff of use complain they will recall them! well one can hope... heres the link

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
  • rorytaterorytate Member Posts: 21
    2 things..
    1. I need to take the door apart to put the window back in track.
    2. I need to fix the power lock, it gets stuck 3/4 of the way when unlocking and you can't easily move it by hand.

How easy is it to fix both of these, and does someone have the diagram on how to take the door apart so i can access both of these?
    Thanks..