Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• the_nozzlemanthe_nozzleman Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT that keeps blowing a fuse that effects the Tail Lights and the Dash Lights. When ever we go over either rough road or speed bumps the Dash Lights and Tail Lights go out. I keep plenty of fuses in the car so that I can replace them when it happens. So far the Mechanic has done everything short of tracing the wiring harness. The only aftermarket item in the car is a radio that was put in by a previous owner. :confuse: :sick:
  • pontiackidpontiackid Member Posts: 1
    hey i got a pontiac grand Am SE, 1993, got a qustion that i really need help on, my right turn blinker doesnt work anymore, it lights up but outside when you look at it, its out, i am not sure what to do, i went and bought new lights to see if the bulb burned out, but it wasnt, i am pretty sure that i have a short, but i really dont know how to replace or fix that kinda of stuff, can anyone help me out?
  • lyta21lyta21 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Grand Am started this annoying ticking noise, I also have three warning lights all coming on after this grinding noise (happened after I had an oil change)

I took my car to the mechanic and he went through all the electrical stuff and figured out the switch had just gone which kept the ticking noise going.

I had to buy a new signal arm from the dealership, it's about $180.00 CDN but the noise has stopped....
  • newguy212newguy212 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. New to the site. A buddy told me about it and thought I might find the answer here. I am hearing conflicting stories in regard to putting a 95 3.4L from a firebird into my 99 Grand AM. If I swap my intake, injecters, etc, etc. will there be any problems?? My cam busted at 102,000; replaced with aftermarket solid cam, The engine is knocking bad. Replaced the crank, rods and bearings; but still knocks. I was told I damaged my cam journals so I'm pretty screwed. We've been messing with this for 3 1/2 months now. A buddy totaled his firebird and is selling the 3.4L. Will this work??? Thanks in advance.
  • shortbusrejectshortbusreject Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased an '05 grand am. i'm not very familiar with these cars, can anyone tell me what to expect?
  • samplessamples Member Posts: 2
    Would you let me know what happened with that.. I have a 2000 and suddenly having major overflow problems too. Trying to change the thermostat and can't get it out with everything in the way. I am hearing bad things about the dexcool too. Did you have it fixed? If so what was the deal? Thank you for anything you can tell me. I hope you got it straightened out.
  • samplessamples Member Posts: 2
    Having coolant leak out of overflow excessively. Replacing thermostat first.. hoping that is the problem. Problem is that I am having trouble getting the thermostat out. Does anyone know the procedure or tricks? Thank YOu
  • newguy212newguy212 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 GA. I'm having major engine issues after replacing a busted camshaft. Will the 3.4 out of the firebird replace the 3.4 in the GA??? I know you have to swap upper/lower intakes, exhaust mans, are there any other issues. TY in advance!!
  • 04grandamster04grandamster Member Posts: 1
    a svt focus that had exhaust, performance tires and rims peeled out next to me and took off but to his suprise i floored it and caught up to him in no time.so he tried to take off again but i just smoked him i finally let off. at about 100 mph, and he was about 6 car links behind me. what a slow car and im a bone stock automatic 4 door. although i have suprisingly beat a few other cars as well.
  • darbardarbar Member Posts: 1
    go to ctv.ca and read the Whistleblowers segment on GM's. This could be what is wrong. The recalls could be up in the millions if this article is acurate. Im not a big fan of the GA as my 2000 with only 60000 Km (45000miles) blew an engine in the middle of no-where with myself and my two little girls as we drove across Canada! Of course if happened after the 3/60 warranty was over.
  • 67bluecamaro67bluecamaro Member Posts: 8
    has anyone had their security light stay on constantly? Mine started just staying on all the time about a month ago and since then i haven't had the starting problem of it not turning over and having to wait 10mins. I didn't do anything like cut that yellow wire or install a switch or anything. Well if it has happened to anyone, did i continue to stay on forever?

Also, i started getting a service engine soon light coming on and going off alot. I scanned the got a trouble code and looked it up. it is caused by the coolant not reaching proper temperature. So i look in the reserve tank and its getting gel like. My theory on this is, the coolant is turning gel like and stuck in my thermostat and is keeping it open. The reason I came to this conclusion is, when i put a new aluminum radiator in my 67 camaro i used the dexacool coolant(assuming better protection) and I consistently had to replace the thermostat because the coolant never reached proper temp so i assumed the thermostats were faulty. Now i just think that the coolant doesn't allow the thermostat to close when it needs too. I'm gonna get the system flushed and see if i still have a problem.
  • 67bluecamaro67bluecamaro Member Posts: 8
    I have to say I still enjoy blowing off much more powerful cars off the line and around the corners in my 02 grand am 3.4l. I also tend to suprise my friends when i floor it as soon as i hit the on-ramp and we are doing 90+ by the time we are on the freeway. I must admit i was not excited to hear this car only had 170hp when i bought it but it can definatly perform when you want it too, and that 4 wheel independent suspension is extrememly pleasent when taking corners at high speed. I also calculated my gas mileage on a trip strickly on the freeway, and was suprised when i got almost 31 mpg on the freeway when the car is only rated at 29mpg. Keep in mind i was doing a constant 80mph with lots of flooring it to get around traffic. The only thing that i have done that might have improved the mileage is use 5w-30 synthetic oil.
  • veroeniqueveroenique Member Posts: 1
    I am have the same issue with the security light coming on and my car will not start. It is like the luck of the draw. I am having to wait the 10 minutes before it starts again. What else can I do Please help. The new problem that I am having is that my horn does not work. I am trying to find out how to change the horn but can not find it in my manuel. The car won't pass inspection with out it. Some please help me. I think I got a :lemon: on wheels.
  • natjo36natjo36 Member Posts: 3
    A month ago it started dying on me while driving. Had it towed and had the throttle sensor changed. Ran well for about 3 weeks then died on me again. Changed the fuel filter and the map sensor. Ran okay for 100 miles then problem started all over again. The map sensor is testing bad and the vacuum sensor also. The car will start right back up every time. Sometimes it will run for a few minutes and sometimes only a few seconds before it starts sputtering then eventually dies. Can any one please tell me what is causing this problem. Thanks
  • curlylocks1014curlylocks1014 Member Posts: 3
    i emailed pontiac, and was told basically.. that the only way to get a repair/recall is for everyone to file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.. i filed mine .. and so far i only see 6 complaints ... please please if u have this issue with your GA go file the complaint... its free all u need is your vin#
    link to file complaint
    ">
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Sure sounds like the classic symptoms of a failing fuel pump. The pump should be tested for pressure and volume.
    Thanks, How would I go about testing it? Do I need to take it to a shop or is it something I could check at home?
    For the pressure test you would need an appropriate gauge with the right connector to go on the test port, I'm not sure off hand where it is on your model. For the volume test you simply connect a hose to the test port and measure how much fuel is pumped into a container over a set amount of time.
    Thanks for all help. Will see if I can find the tools I need to test it if not will take it to the shop.
  • psmith8psmith8 Member Posts: 3
    Seems like the Grand am has some major problem with the coolant system. I have a Pontiac Grand am that I purchased brand new back in 1999. For the past year it has been in the shop a few times with same overheating problem and the repair shop can NOT figure it out. Can anyone help with what the actual problem is???Thanks
    Are you having to add coolant from time to time? Or is it overheating but the coolant level stays normal?
    I have to add coolant. The repair shop has replaced the radiator, coolant reservior, intake manifold gasket, and hoses in my car in the past year trying to fix but each time it happens again. I am hoping to find the problem from here.saq1
  • mrresourcemrresource Member Posts: 1
    The instrument panel on my 1996 Grand Am doesn't work. How do I fix it??
    Well, has a pressure test been done to find the leak? It could be a leaking head gasket or cracked head or block. If the head gasket is leaking then more than likely you will have steam coming out the exhaust. It could also be a leaky heater core - if you turm on the windshield defroster and the windshield fogs up worse then it's probably leaking. Also, you may notice a coolant smell inside the car if it's leaking.
  • italianmaster1italianmaster1 Member Posts: 12
    Im back in the forum from almost a year of no problems, lol. Ok my 1999 GA SE is acting a little funny. When you start the car, the intrument panel lights will come on and the gauges will move from left to right as normal. Well sometimes the lights wont come on and the gauges wont even move. I couldnt even tell what my RPM was and my speedometer read a constant 0-mph when speeding down a street for an entire minute. My girlfriend's dad looked at all the fuses since he couldnt do much since it was 9pm and those all read good. He would start the car and of course it wouldnt do what I just described. BUT it did reset the gauges when he revved the engine imitating as if he were driving. It happened to him twice where he would start the car, everything "booted" up fine, revved the engine for a while, then the gauges and lights would go to O Rpm and O-mph and lights would go off. Then they would come back on when he jiggled the keys in the ignition switch. He thinks it is the ignition switch and that it is failing. Anyone have any bright ideas what it could be? Car was bought in 2003 with 47000 miles, it is now 2006 with 88700 miles (all expressway from date of purchase). Only major things I changed since I bought this was the altenator and battery. Its a 2.4 liter enginge if you are wondering. Thanks I really appreciate the help. You guys and girls helped me a lot last time I was here. :cry:
  • darboyakedarboyake Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 grand am,after replacing the heater core, i noticed there was a coolant leak i searched and searched i could not find where the leak was coming from. my car has no way to psi. test with a tester so i took the bottom hose off and and put a 1-1/4 short nipple on a 1-1/4 x3/4 bell reducer with a air gage on the hose ,then plugged the radiator. i then pumped 20 lbs into the system and the leak shoed up , it was that plastic thermostat housing looking thing (t-stat is not in it) the part was 33 bucks and it took 1/2 hr to fix
    That's the classic symptoms of the ignition switch failing. The contacts are going bad, or the switch is becomung loose internally and not making reliable connections inside. If you have a lot of weight on your keyring (lots of keys, etc) it can shorten the life of the switch with the weight hanging on it.
    Was it cracked or something?
  • italianmaster1italianmaster1 Member Posts: 12
    Took it to the dealer and the supervisor witness it happening after he started the car. He though that was the stranges thing. I was in the dealer for 3 hours and he tells me that it wasnt doing it long enough for the mechanic to figure out if it is the ignition switch or the instrument cluster. So they decided to save me money and just let me go home with my little GA free of charge. Was upset that I was there for 3 hours but they told me to keep in touch and bring it back when it happens on a consistent basis rather than once in a while. Ill be back in the forum to let you all know what happens. Thanks
    Thanks for the advice...i'll pass it on to the repair shop. Maybe it will help. Hopefully it doesn't end up being an expensive on. Thanks again for your help.
  • curlylocks1014curlylocks1014 Member Posts: 3
    WELL I SOLVED MY PASSLOCK/SECURITY problems today... it was becoming a daily thing that the security lite would come on and the car would not start.... still love the looks of the grand am ... but now its the car dealers problem... traded it in on a 2006 hyundai elantra!
  • zapazapa Member Posts: 2
    For the past two weeks these warning lights have been coming on in my 2000 Grand Am GT. Does anyone know of a solution for this???? Please Help. Thanks!
  • iwantws6iwantws6 Member Posts: 26
    2001 Grand Am. The engine light came on and temp gauge was very low and didnt move at all. I had the code scanned by Auto Zone and a mechanic that said it was the thermostat. By the time I got it to the mechanic the light was off, he added a little coolant and said to bing it back if the light comes on and he'd replac ethe thermostat. The light came back on, we had the part replaced and it was fine for about 10 days, now the engine light is back on. Any idea whats going on??
  • skramerskramer Member Posts: 1
    My "01 Grand Am Low Coolant Light came on the engine temp light came on it went into red zone. I pulled the car over added water changed thermostat. It worked for about a week and then did the same thing. Both times I could find no leak from anything. It was just coming out overflow. I have flushed the radiator and hope this works. I have never had any problems with car until now. Any suggestions?Skramer
    Have the cooling system pressure checked to find out where the coolant is going.
  • robnalysiarobnalysia Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 94 grand am gt 134000 miles on it just bought it two months ago and now having all these problems with it, for the first to months drove fine now all of a sudden have noticed that there had been a drop in oil pressure gauge used to hang around 60 psi and fluctuate while driving now hangs a little under 40 and dont fluctuate very much. Second when car is idle or stops at a light or just stops my rpms will drop from 800-to almost nothing sometimes the car stalls other times it resumes itself back to 800-1000 , can anyone help me with any ideas ? :cry:
  • carnalknowledgcarnalknowledg Member Posts: 1
    I've researched alot lately on the grand am, the coolant light can be from either a stuck float inside the coolant overflow container, "cheap fix" or alot of the V-6 models have had a problem with the intake gasket leaking or warping allowing coolant to enter the cylinders which dilutes your oil and can cause you engine to over heat, thus seizing the engine, and making you buy a new engine. Keep the coolant resevoir filled between the low and high lines and keep a watchful eye on it, if it keeps lowering the level and you dont' have any puddles in your driveway or garage, the coolant is going somewhere, possibly in your engine.

When the oil looks like a light brown chocolate it's very bad.

Also for anyone having problems with your car shuddering or rough idle and are having consistent problems with your O2 sensor going bad, it's usually the O2 sensor right after the exhaust manifold, check it thoroughly, if it's discolored as in looking green "color of your antifreeze", you might also want to check your intake gasket, the green color can be from your engine burning the coolant and it gums up on the O2 sensor causing it to fail. A small problem like the O2 sensor failing constantly can be a tell tell sign of a bigger problem not seen closely
  • squakersquaker Member Posts: 3
    As seen in my prior messages I am having the same clicking noise problem. I received a notice from GM in regards to the hazard switch/turn signal defect. i called the 800 number at the bottom of the letter and was told that the multi-functional switch would be a covered item. After completing the phone call to GM I contact the dealer to schedule the repair. After the dealer checked the problem they said that the multi-functional switch was NOT covered. I am fighting with GM regarding this issue. I have told them that their are many notes regarding this problem on this website. GM has said that they will approve of fixing this problem but I would have to pay up front and then have them reimburse me.(Not happening). I need you people to contact GM regarding this problem so that they can investigate this problem and fix all of the cars that are effected but this obnoxious noise. The phone number to Pontiac GM is 1-866-790-5600.
  • humblehumble Member Posts: 3
    My cars dash lights, gear stick light, does not work at all when I turn the head lights on or if it does it with the sinsur. When I do turn my head lights on my stereo display lighting turns off, but the stereo remains playing. All headlights, blinkers, lamp lights work fine. I checked the fuses and there fine. I took the dimmer switch out to see if it gets power when the healight switch is turned, it does. the cluster gages work fine just not the ilumination. Does anyone know of where to start from here or have an idea of what the problem could be??? :confuse:
  • humblehumble Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where the dimmer module is located in the 99 grand am??????????/
  • soderquistsoderquist Member Posts: 6
    spin the blinker handle to the bottom it turns up and down in the middle it just gives you fog lights but it doesnt have a setting to turn them completly off. 2002 grand ams have the wheel bearings go easy, along with alot of rotors good luck.we bought ours new and had alot of headaches,will never buy one again.......
  • burrhead1burrhead1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, new to the forums, looked like a good resource.

I have a 2002 pontiac grand am; last week the "service vehicle soon" light came on for a few minutes, went out and hasn't come back on since.

After that about 1 in 3 times when I start the car the dash and radio lights blink on for a second and then go dark for about 15 seconds before they come back. It also effects the air conditioning/fan. It doesn't seem to affect the engine running at all. The car otherwise runs fine.

Is this possibly a fuse? It's out of warranty and I'd hate to take it in for something that seems minor. Any thoughts on what to look at or causes?

Thanks in advance,

Todd
  • qdog99qdog99 Member Posts: 19
    i have a 2001 grand am se 2.4L 4 door automatic and the trac light keeps coming on while driving and once its on the transmission will bang while switching gears and if i push the trac button to cut the light off it stays on.To get it to go off so the car will drive properly i have to pull over and park the car and turn it off and restart the car.when i put it in drive it bangs the gear once and then it starts driving ok for a while i cant figure out whats making it do that. the only thing that needs to be changed is the fuel pressure regulator because it leaks once in a while :cry:
  • ghartergharter Member Posts: 1
    i am having same prob with my 99 se if u find out what it may be email me @ gharter21@yahoo.com thank you
    greg
  • kcthmprkcthmpr Member Posts: 1
    You know I have had the same problem with a constant clicking as well. Started one day after turning into a driveway and now it does it whenever it feels like. A mechanic friend of mine said it is the 4 way sensor (I believe) but it is found in the panel where the stereo is. You can pull that panel off and the switch is found there. I personally don't want to pay for it. I also called GM when I received their notice and they told me it sounds as if it was caused by the same issue that they are seeing. I have not gone to my dealer yet but I am almost afraid to if I am going to have to pay out of pocket like they told you. I think they should pay for it. Did they say how much it would cost??
  • tintedtinted Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else encountered a "broken driver's seat" issue? Something seems to be broken in the low part of the seat where the lumbar meets the bottom cushion causing the seat lto lean back and to the right just enough to bother my low back. I've looked in windows of other grand ams and noticed the same issue on a few. The dealer says it's typical for GM products of that year and they've fixed a bunch of them but the cost is between $400 & $500. Anyone else encounter this problem???? I'd rather not put racing seats into my '00 grand am SE sedan but I can't buy new stock ones.
  • qdog99qdog99 Member Posts: 19
    as soon as i find out i will let you know i have some leads but i have to confirm them first
  • jerry79jerry79 Member Posts: 2
    In the past 5 months, i noticed that some was wrong with the car because the "add coolant" appeared constantly. In the beginning, i thought it was normal that i had to add coolant but when it started to appear more often, there was something going on with the car. I looked in the engine and there was a small open in intake manifold gasket and beside i can see the coolant laying there.

Im kinda pissed of this happen because i bought it brand new and after 3 years comes with this defect?? I went to the dealer to get a quote on the problem and its about $1400!!

I been looking at all the posts and i see that this defect comes already from years back. Does anybody knows if they have recalled this vehicles from this problem?? Can there be a recall for this failure??? THANKS EVERYONE.
    I take it your out of warranty. Yes, the intake manifold gasket is a known problem on the 3.4L (as it is on many others).
    There's no recall as I understand, but I think your being quoted way to high of a price for the repair. It's usually about $700 - $750. It's less than one days labor for any experienced shop, and the parts aren't that expensive. Are they adding any other type of repairs/service in on top of it?
  • cherbear74cherbear74 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 grand am I lost my keys with security chip that you run under the dashboard then it beeps and I can then put my key into the ignition and start my car.. I have a spare key but without that little thingy to run under my dashboard my car wont start any soulutions.. is there a way to bypass the darn thing.. thanks, :confuse: stressedoutmom