Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• azwmmazwmm Member Posts: 8
    I had a '91 Grand AM with the same problem.Replacing the TCC in the trans. fixed it for $75 in parts. To have it done would be about $250. This web page will explain the problem.
    http://www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage/gm125.htm
  • nerssnerss Member Posts: 43
    Has anybody noticed roadnoise coming from the trunk during drives on wet pavement. My fiancees GA does this on wet highways. We are having the leaking trunk fixed on Monday and was wondering if that was contributing to the roadnoise or if there was another source that anybody knew of. Any help is appreciated since the warranty is running out soon.
    It turned out that I also had a leak in the hole where the pigtail for the left taillight entered the body of the trunk to reach the assembly. The dealer was wrong about the wheelwells in my car but, stated that it has happened in the wheel wells before. She said that the water came pouring in through the hole. They re sealed it and checked the entire underbody of the car since and found no other leaks. She stated that the GA is a great car, but as usual with any other car there is the little flaws in it. The jack was also replaced under warranty but the spare tire turned out not to be rusty at all and was not replaced. I am only waiting on a front license plate filler, the one labeled "PONTIAC" in it, and a new cornering lamp to replace the one ruined by the snow. The cornering lamp and come apart from the bulb assembly and the lamp filled with salt/sand/water mix from the road. Unfortunately the mixture did a number on the reflective mirrors in the housing and the lamp needs to be replaced. I am waiting to order a new on to see if a TSB is created since this is a common fix at the garage. Word to the wise: Tie the cornering lamp wires to the frame, GM did a poor job or harnessing them and road boogers during the winter will rip the bulbs out of the lamp.
  • bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    I was talking with a friend of mine who is a general sales manager of a Pontiac dealer in my area, and he said that the Ga rotor problems that some people are having are under warranty. Pontiac knows about the problem and might be issuing a tsb soon. Also I wanted to mention to all the people that think foreign cars are so much better, they have just as many complaints as the American cars. I went into the Nhtsb website, and did a search, the GA has 4 TSB's for 2000,the Accord and Camry has 3 each, and the Nissan Maxima has 11. As for complaints sent to the nhtsb, the Camry for 2000 has 19, the accord has 31, the maxima has 11 while the GA only has 4. As you can also see it was raining in D.C. and I was bored.
  • szerfasszerfas Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the note on the rear cornering lamps, nerss. I will take a look at mine the next time that I am out checking things or cleaning the car.

They tried to take my front license plate holder on my car at the dealership. I got home and could not find it, should have checked at the dealership. Then they gave me one off a Bonneville and insisted that it was for my car. Finally I got it corrected and got the right one. I wish MA did not requite two plates. The front looks much nicer with the cover on. I keep mine in hopes that it might change like it did once before.
    I hate it when dealers treat you like you know jack. My dealer is great, they never have tried to lie or deceive me. My front plate holder is taking forever and a year to come in. The body shop attendant stated that it is injection molded and not painted so it needs to come straight from the factory and will take forever and a year to get here. It sure is aggravating. I can't wait, the car will look totally new when it comes in. I have spent alot of time, energy and money to get the car in new shape again from the idiots that previously owned it.
  • mosaicmosaic Member Posts: 2
    My '94 GA has a small but annoying problem:
    Whenever is rains, there's a leak from under the dash that drips right into passenger side floor. Have been told (by Pontiac,for 45 bucks) there's a "trap" that gets full of leaves and road junk and needs to be cleaned out.
    Does anyone know where the alleged "trap" is located? \ thanks for the help
  • clint13clint13 Member Posts: 2
    MY 1995 Grand Am is running fine and looks good but my driver's side door is becoming really worn down. I have to pull pretty hard to get it open. The inside handle also squeeks and has a "unclean"closing noise. Its almost as if the interior panel isnt screwed in right. None of my other 4 doors do this, they close like brand new. I was wondering if there is something i can do to make it open easier and close cleaner. Can I still get a new door panel even though it is five years old? thanks
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Anything else you will have to pay for it.
  • clint13clint13 Member Posts: 2
    I know greasing it may make it better but I was kinda talking mainly about the interior. The door panel and handle just seems cheap and I wondered hom much it would cost to get a new one or if is even possible with a car my age
    Go ask a dealer to quote you a door panel. If you can get it the color will not match since your car's interior has aged.
    I still love this car, even though the dealer has had it more than I have this month. Here is the long list of stuff fixed under warranty:
    1. Three sheets of glass fixed due to scratches
    2. Leak in trunk from the wiring harness of dirver's side taillight.
    3. Light assembly of drivers taillight replaced due to short from leak.
    4. New interior door panel for left passenger, material coming off of the old one.
    5. New cornering lamp, due to destruction when bulb fell out,from the road boogies.
    6. Driver's and right passengers doors adjusted for wind noise.
    7. New tire jack to replace the rusted one from the leak in trunk.
    8. New interior carpet to replace old one that shrunk and pulled out from under the plastic pieces.

The following items were repaired at my cost:

1. New nose from hit and run accident. $580
    2. Repaint rear bumper from another hit and run accident. $120
    3. Replace burnout foglamp. $12.00

As you can see the maintanace of this car is low,excluding the body damage from idiots. I really love this car and am willing to forgive GM for the little oppsies since the body styling is in it's first year. My fianee's cousin bought an Intrepid in it's first year and returned it under the lemon law. I will have to see how it goes from here.
  • blacourblacour Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for some opinions on extended warranties. My new Grand Am GT1 is currently in transit through a dealer trade and I am currently deciding if I should purchase an extended warranty for this car. I have been given different suggestions on purchasing an extended warranty and am just looking for a little advice.

Thank you.
    My fiancee owns a 99 GA SE1 ,and the car has been reliable and great to drive. She bought one of the first ever made and has had fit and finish issues with the body. An extended warranty is a great idea for any new car that you buy. This is particularly true in a new frame body style change since the body has not been tested in the real world extensivley yet. I usually purchase extended warranties on a new car and definitely when it is within the first two years of a new body/engine style.
    HAd the 1st problem with the car this week, the rotors had to be replaced at 11,000 miles. Just wanted to let you know that if you have this problem, GM has put a TSB out on the rotors and it is covered under warranty. The service guy I was talking to said, that when they built the new G.A., they put on rotors that were to small, and all the new one being built have the new rotors. I still love this car, and have had no other problems.
    Bmark do you have the TSB # for the rotors? My 99 GA only has the rotor wobble when I brake above 70 mph. I found this out while passing a slow semi, and I don't want to pay for the fix. This will definitley be information to leverage a free fix out of since the car has a warranty still. The dealer stated that since there was no TSB that the problem was caused by my driving habits. I have talked to the dealership owner about this employee since the others thought that he was being a jerk. I still have no response from the owner or a resolution yet, normally they are great about this stuff but for some reason they are being difficult with this rotor deal.
  • katiegrrrkatiegrrr Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your input. Someone suggested to me that I use Amoco 93 gasoline, and this seems to have temporarily solved my problem. It has not stalled since I started using this gas, but it has a very rough idle. This occurs both in park and when in gear. Any ideas now?? Should I still have the solenoid switch replaced despite the fact that it doesn't stall anymore? What can be done about the rough idle? Thank you for your time.
    I have an Alero and just discovered the same problem when braking above 70 mph. I don't think its rotor wobble since I don't feel it at any lower speed. Could it be a pad chattering? Please post any updates.
    Heng, My car had the same problem with braking above 70. When I took mine in, it was the rotors, I would take it in, after the fix the car drives as great as it did when I got it. Nerss I don't know the tsb # but on the rcpt they gave me it says Replace pads and rotors per bulletin. The service guy I talked to said they only fix them when the customer brings it in, because its not going to happen on every car.
    I will talk to my dealer and keep you posted on the outcome of my rotor problem. All the information has been helpful from both of you. On the 99 GA also my spoiler is full of H2O and I am having it drained and fixed per the TSB. It is not on alldata.com but is on the NHTSB website which can be found on the safety link on the edmunds homepage.
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    When braking my 99 G.A., there's a pretty loud clicking noise in the back wheel section of the car.

Does anyone know what the problem might be. I'm probably taking it to the dealer tomorrow..but sometimes, the advice here is much better than dealer.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
  • ebc4ebc4 Member Posts: 1
    I've been experiencing a strange rattle under the hood of my 98 GA since I bought it. Two different dealers have been unable to replicate the problem, but it happens to me everyday when I first start driving. Any advice or suggestions? My warranty is almost over . . .
  • suemariesuemarie Member Posts: 4
    I have recently been recieving email from a few of the Edmunds Townhall memebers inquiring about the problems I have been having with my 1997 Grand Am SE 4cyl. My car has had many problems, and many of the concerns posted here are the same ones I have EXCEPT one. My car acclerates on its on. The car has taken me from around 20 MPH all the way up to 45 mph before I had to stop the car. I have been told I have an oil pump problem, I can't use just any old brand of oil filter, and so on. I am currently in litigation with my car and hopig it will be all over by September 20, 2000. This is a trial date set between myself, GM and the dealership I purchased my car from. I have given my address out previously and now have a new address: james_susanwilliams@hotmail.com but before you ask any questions if you would like to visit my web site regarding lemon law and everything I went through with my car you can visit my website at:

http://members.access1.net/sferrante/Lemon/Lemon.html

It has many of the links that I used to find other people with my problems and what they did or went through as well as the NHTSA's website where I found information on Technical Service Bulletins.

Please let me know if you would like for me to give you any information regarding my lemon law case or the procedures I went through.

Susan
  • blugrsgrlblugrsgrl Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 99 Grand Am, but after reading all theseposts I am a little leary. About the brake problems i think (bmark) said that they had put rotors to small on there for the car. Will that solve the problem? And what else do I need to know. The car looks great, and is a super deal, but I hate to get it if all i am going to have is problems.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    No car is perfect. And near-perfect ones cost too much. I rented Grand Am for 3 weeks (while my Malibu was at body shop) and consider it to be a very good car for a single driver or a younger childless couple. Fun to drive both in city and on highway, a very good handling and acceleration.

On the flip side, bad rear visibility - hard to back up in cramped garage. Small rear seats - unconvenient for family with kids. And low seat make it not so easy to get in/out for older people with rusted joints and less flexible back.

All of this is concerning with 3.4l V-6; the 2.4l 4-cylinder engine is too weak for my taste.

Concerning the problems with brake rotors:

The Pontiac Grand Am, its tween Olds Alero and Chevy Malibu are sharing the same "platform" and all of them had somewhat weak brake rotors prone to warping.

Not sure about the later modifications - probably GM improved the rotors - but the cars build in 97, 98 and, probably, early 99, often have this problem. Not every car, of course. Judging by the poll of subscribers printed in Consumer Record, I believe, some 10 to 15 percent of owners encountered this problem. Not majority, but more often than for an average car.

I believe this problem is already accounted for in the price of the cars, both new and especially the used ones. I'd suggest simply to add $300 to $500 to the price of Grand Am when comparing to a competing make and model. Probably after this you will still prefer Grand Am. In this case you can just save the money in a bank account as an insurance for warped rotors.
    I own a 99 GA that was one of the first built in late 98/early 99 and at 34,000 mile I finally had to have the rotors and pads replaced on the front. The total cost of the bill was 111 bucks. That was the cost of the pads only. Labor and the rotors were covered under the warranty. I love this car and my only advice is to get the V6 (the 4 is peppy for being a four cylinder, but a 6 is always better) and an extended warranty from GM.
  • obiwanobiwan Member Posts: 57
    I also own a '99 Grand Am which I bought in late February of '99. It has just under 18,000 miles on it. The only problem I have encountered so far is the brake rotors warping. However, GM has recognized that the brakes are a problem and they have issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for them. Basically, they came up with a new set of rotors and pads and they will replace them free of charge if you have problems. There are a few more TSBs for the car but I haven't seen any problems. Of course, every vehicle on the road has several TSBs sooner or later.

Beyond the brakes, the car has been perfect. It's a GT with the Ram Air V6 so it has plenty of get-up-and-go, even when passing on a 2 lane highway. I have only had to take my car in for one thing that was not scheduled maintenance. That was a $300 ding in my fender caused by someone opening the door of his Suburban Assault Vehicle into my front fender and putting a major dent in it. And that really had nothing to do with my car being a Grand Am.

I'd say go for the '99 Grand Am. It's been a great car for me. Just make sure that all of the TSBs have been addressed for the car, especially if you buy it from a dealer.
  • kat33kat33 Member Posts: 1
    This is the first time I have been here. I was reading the postings about rotors, please tell me where did you find out the information or tsb? Is there a site thats posts this information?
    Kat call your dealer, when I brought mine in they told me about the tsb. Blugrsgrl, I would buy the car, except for the brakes the car is great, and the brakes are under warranty. I have a 2000 G.T. with now over 12000 miles, no other problems besides the brakes.
  • blugrsgrlblugrsgrl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone....I will let you know how it all turns out. Ya'll have been a big help.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I have a 1999 GA GT with almost 15,000 miles on it. I have had almost no problems with it. The door fabric has started to pull away by the window on the back doors. There are a few very minor squeeks here and there. But the brakes have been fine so far.

I absolutely love to drive this car. The steering wheel controls for cruise control and the radio have spoiled me rotten. My problem will be when I get my next car, how do I top the Grand Am?
  • a6chrisa6chris Member Posts: 15
    I'm currently in the market for a midsize sedan and am torn between the Nissan Maxima and the Pontiac Grand Am. The Grand Am give me more bang for my buck, but I'm worried about reliability. I don't want to spend $18,000 for a brand new car and then after numerous repairs end up paying well over $23,000. Also, how is the accelleration on the V6 at highway speeds of 75-80?? Also, hows the stop light acceleration? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm worried about reliability. I don't want to spend $18,000 for a brand new car and then after numerous repairs end up paying well over $23,000.

In this case, why not buying extended warranty? I think that bumper-to-bumper for 100,000 miles and 7 years (10 years including the manufacturer warranty) would cost about $1200 to $1600. Substantially less than the $5000 at risk.

BTW, it is a good idea to compare the warranty prices for GrandAm and Nissan (or other Japan cars). Probably the difference is not so high.

I think that for the first 10 years or 100,000 miles the problems with reliability, if any, would be is not so much with money as with time and headaches...
  • alhoutexalhoutex Member Posts: 14
    I bought a new 2000 Slivermist Grand Am GT in february. The car already has 7600 miles on it, due to my 5 day a week drive into downtown Houston. I have only had one problem with the car so far. The driver and passenger front windows scratched my new tint job when I first rolled the windows down. It also continued to scratch the tint in tiny barely noticable lines. it sounds like sand, but the car has never been around it. Has this happened to anyone else, or has anyone heard of this problem? No other problems so far. I can feel a slight pulse in the brakes during stops. Is this the start of rotor problems? I hope not.
    The scratched windows are a known problem and have been posted many times before. My driver window now seems to be making a screetching noise when going up. I don't know if it's scratchin g the window or not. I'm taking it in next week to have the dealer look at it. Seems that the geniuses at Pontiac put the wrong size gasket or trim piece at the base of the window and many owners are having the trim piece and/or windows replaced. Guess it's easier and cheaper to fix a whole bunch of cars than to design it correctly the first time.
    Well, I wonder if there is a TSB on this problem. It seems as if they would recall the vehicle if its happening to several people. The bank teller at my bank has the same car, and her windows ddid the same thing. Will they pay me to have my windows retinted after the problem is fixed?
    The window scratches are a known problem by GM. There is a TSB out on this. My fiancee's GA 99 had to have 3 sheets of glass replaced ($980) at GM's cost. The doors need to be pulled apart, the gaps need to be widened and they need to be put back together. The sand has nothing to do with these scratches, and your tinting will have to be replaced (Should be covered by the warranty since it is GM's fault.) Any questions post and I will check right away.
    I hate to be a pessimist, but if aftermarket tinting was placed on the car, I doubt Pontiac is going to pay to have the tinting redone because the windows got scratched. I'm sure they will limit their responsibility to the actual window itself.
    I agree, but when the problems with my fiancee GA effected the custom taillight I had put on they covered the replacement cost since the damage was done by the defective part (water leakage from a bad seal). But again they maybe real jerks about it in this case, reading past experiences reveals a hit/miss problem with GM based on the dealership and individuals.
    There is much wind noise from the passenger rear door. My dealership adjusted the door, but it still makes a loud whooshing noise (louder than normal/or other doors). What is the appropriate fix for this my warranty is running out soon.
  • juechenjuechen Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1995 Grand Am. everything seems ok except we doubt it was ever drowned. It can only get about 23 mileage per gallon gas. Does it mean the engine was serious injured? if so, how about the lifetime for the car? Thanks.
  • jjwoulfyjjwoulfy Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used vehicle and i really like the looks and the way the 97 Grand Am drives. However, I have heard some stories about what can go wrong with these cars and it is causing me to think twice. I was wondering what kinds of problems I should be looking for that would make me want to stay away from the car. And I also heard a lot about the paint being able to chip easily and rust rather fast, is there any truth to that?? Thanks.
    JJ Woulfy...at 25 yrs of age, I have grown up around pontiac Grand Ams, from my friends sisters 87 grand am sedan, to my moms 1991 grand am which was my high school borrowed ride until I got my own car. In 1995, my parents bought my sister a 1993 grand am GT two door. Now, I own a 2000 Grand am GT 4 door, and an very happy with it. To my best recollection all except the 93 grand am were trouble free.The 93 had bad coolant troubles, and engine problems. As far as 97s/98s, I havent followed the cars history, but Ive heard an average number of complaints. Paint is excellent, unless you get black, which fades on the plastic surfaces. I would recommend a V6, the fours have never had good power, except for the quad 4 high output in the 91 GA. If you have any specific questions, Ill try to answer them.
  • azurerainazurerain Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into possibly purchasing a 2000 Grand Am GT1, I was wondering if anyone has owned one yet. I've read through the message board here, and elsewhere and have seen good and bad about the older models, but I can't find much on the 2000. If you own one, do you like the car? any complaints?. My toyota was totaled in a wreck last week, so I am looking for a new, semi-sporty car. The Grand Am seems to give the most bang for the buck. Any comments appreciated.

Thank You,

Azure
    Azure,

I currently own a 1999 Grand Am GT1, which is very similar to the 2000. I have been very happy with my car overall. It has good acceleration in all reasonable conditions (from a stoplight, up a freeway on-ramp, passing on the highway) and it handles fine for every day driving with a few hard corners thrown in now and again.

What it will not do is out-accelerate real performance cars. It'll beat the suburban assault vehicles and minivans off the line but a V8 camaro/mustang will leave you far behind. And even some of the "sport compact" cars will edge out the Grand Am in a 0-60 run by half a second or more. It will definitely out corner the grocery getters but won't handle the twisties like a Porche. To top it all off, it has a very comfortable ride for daily driving. If that's your definition of "semi-sporty" then the Grand Am is the car for you.

I can fit 2 reasonable sized adults in my back seat for short to medium trips. When no one is in my back seat, I can fit my 191cm skis cross ways through the pass through in the trunk. Both of these you won't be able to do in a smaller "sport compact" car. Depending on my driving, I average over 20 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. (That you will be able to do in a compact car.) Considering that the sporty versions of the compact cars cost as much or more than the Grand Am, I'd say that it definitely gives you more bang for your buck.

If you're not 100% sold on the Grand Am looks, take a look at the Oldsmobile Alero. It is virtually identical to the Grand Am once you get past the accessories and under the sheet metal. It has similar numbers for acceleration and cornering but the appearance is a little different and appeals to some people more than the lines of the Grand Am.

HTH,
    Obiwan
  • azurerainazurerain Member Posts: 3
    Obiwan,

Thank You for replying to my message. I love the way the Grand Am looks, and I haven't test driven it yet (soon). It would be perfect for me actually, I don't want a overly sporty car like the mustang. Although a V8 would be nice, but once you add all the goodies to that, the price is too high. That is mainly why I am looking into the grand am, I've looked at the Camero, mustang, all those other sporties, and I think I'll have to wait. I hate the way the Alero looks, to grandma-ish. It sounds like the GT1 would be a good buy. I was mainly concerned about paint chipping, road noise etc. that I have heard about=). I think my heart is pretty set on the 2000 GT1 though, now if I can haggle a dealer for a good price!.

Thank You,

Azure
    Azure - another thing that is a bonus for the GT over a Mustang or other V8 is the insurance cost. My 4-door Grand Am GT is very reasonable to insure when compared to a sports car.

I spent months comparing the Grand Am GT with other brands and models. The best "bang for the buck" is exactly what I got. The options, features and performance I got for the price I paid is phenomenal. And so far, the first 15,000 miles have been almost hassle free. Except for adjustmemts to the hood latch and door inserts, the car has had no troubles at all. And I get about 24 mpg with mixed driving.

I may not outrun a Porsche, but I can beat many sporty cars and other vehicles that people paid a LOT more money for!
    Azure,

I agree that the Mustang and Camaro would cost you more. Not only in initial cost but in insurance as well. But the added bonus with the Grand Am is that the back seat is usable by real people. I have tried out the back seats of both Mustangs and Camaros (and Firebirds too) and I have to say that it isn't much more than a small shelf to put things on. You can't really fit full sized adults in the back of one of those cars.

One thing I would say is that you should take the Grand Am for a test drive before really getting excited about having one. There have been people who thought the Grand Am was a fancy sports car when it's really just a sporty mid-sized family car. Go out to a dealer and take a random GT for a spin just to get the feel of it. Then go home and sit on you impression for a while. Then go back and try out a different GT. Go home again. Then go try out some other cars in the class (including a Grand Am SE with the V6) to compare your experiences with. If you still like the GT1, go back and give it one last test drive on the day you are ready to buy.

But, and this is the most important thing, don't get too enamored of a particular car on the lot. Remember that the Grand Am is produced in high quantity and there are many out there to choose from. Set the highest price you will pay before you go to buy and stick to it. If the dealer won't match your price, walk away. Remember that the end of the 2000 model year is coming up quickly. As the 2001 models start to arrive, you can get some good deals on the 2000 models, especially if you live in a large urban area with more than one dealer nearby.

Good luck on your purchase,
    Obiwan
    GM consider GrandAm to be a compact car, not a mid-size one. Even while it is build on the same platform as the Chevy Malibu, a mid-size car according the GM.

http://www.gmbuypower.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+COM.gm.BuyPower.applications.entry.VehicleBrowseCriteria.VehicleBrowseCriteria?DefltModlYrNbr=2000
    Azure, I purchased my 2000 silvermist Grand Am GT with the solid value option package(chrome wheels, sunroof, cassette and cd, keyless entry). It stickers at 21,820, and an invoice of 20020, depending on what part of the country you are in, you should be able to get a GT for about 25-125 over invoice. The dealers should have alot in stock, due to the factory getting rid of the last 2000s, to make room for the next production year.I paid 200 over invoice in february, an off month on car deals. The cash back rebate puts this awesome car in most peoples financial reach. I love mine, and have no complaints, save a few minor warranty corrections. I topped it out at 125 mph on the local tollway, and it will fly! Smooth ride, great power, solid car. I wouldnt recommend anything else. Good Luck on you deal.