Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    I have been reading other forums, and it seems that the general consensus out there regarding the new Grand Am design is very undesireable. It seems that the majority of people like to make fun of all that ribbing and body cladding of the new GA. Is there anyone in this forum who actually likes all that ribbing and cladding? In other words, did anyone actually buy their new GA solely because of their attraction to the new design?
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    The ribbing and body cladding certainly is a bit much. Most folks prefer the Olds Alero if styling is their thing. Also, the GrandAm GT has a cleaner design, in my opinion than the SE.

I can defend the cladding on my SE for one thing, though, Wal-Mart door dings. Can't tell you how many smooth-sided cars I have seen which are "ruined" due to the dings. Some sort of cladding would have protected those cars.

My near 50k GrandAm has nary a door ding on it, but rubbing your hand on the side cladding will let you feel the war that those plastic pieces have gone through. You can't see the dings, but they are there on the cladding.

The current rage today is a smooth-bodied car. Granted, that is cool. But, it just ain't practical when having to park in real life parking lots.

Whacko, your last sentence is a bit limiting, though. I don't think I would buy any vehicle based on a single reason.
  • brettster13brettster13 Member Posts: 1
    Nothing but problems.....power seat quit working, cigarette lighter quit working, turn signals quit working, left and right inside door panels replaced, front driver side molding loose had to be replaced, steering wheel and shifter replaced due to cracking and dried out leather(poor quality.) all this in a year and a half and 17,000 miles!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Looks wise I could take the body cladding or leave it. It certainly keeps the door dings down. On our 95 GA that my daughter drives it's been a godsend. Right after she started driving two years ago, a guy in an Explorer side swiped her when he pulled out of a parking lot. It started right in front of the rear wheel well and went all along the cladding to the front of the right door (2dr model). He did $1500 damage to the Explorer. His insurance paid us $200 for our damage, and all I had to do was buff out the cladding. Last Thanksgiving when she came home from college I noticed some white marks and some scratches on the right side cladding again, and she told me that the corner of her apartment building "moved" as she was driving around it. Again, 99% of it came out with buffing.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I love my 99 bright red GA GT. So far it's the best car overall I've ever owned. It has 23K on it as of yesterday. I've had a couple of problems including the rotors and the door panels, all replaced with no questions asked.

I don't understand how anyone can say it's an embarrassment to a GA owner to have the bodycladding. I like it because it distinguishes it from all the other bland cars out their. I can't see buying a Camry or Accord because they are just so plain. I want something that looks different. That doesn't mean I'd go buy an Aztek, but the GA GT is cool to me - and I'm almost 40!

I hope this car lasts me to 100K because I like it so much. I'd probably be disappointed with other cars.
  • rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    I agree with you. The bodycladding really sets the Grand Am apart from all of those other cookie-cutter designed vehicles. Afterall, this is one of the reasons why we bought the GA in the first place; it's unique and different from other cars. However, the only disappointment I have found so far is the steering. My 00 SE/V6 coupe feels a little too light for my taste. I wish it had a firmer feel for the road. Maybe when I can afford it, I'll take irymal's advice and try the Michelin tires. Other than that, I'm very satisfied that I drive a new Grand Am.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I checked out a 2001 GA GT1 coupe the other day when I was at the dealership getting my 1993 Bonneville serviced and I really like it. I was thinking about trading up, but have questions about reliability and durability. I drive ~25K a year for work, and want something to last at least until it's paid off. Also, what fuel economy is everyone averaging with GTs and SE V6 coupes? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.
  • sun_sonsun_son Member Posts: 3
    I have a GA GT 00, and is close to the 7,500 miles, the manual sez that I have to make the tire rotation at this time, but what is better go to the dealer or go the change oil-company ( I have a coupon for 16.99 for a oil change and tire rotation)?
    So what is better (quality VS price) ?
    Thanks for you help...
    > but what is better go to the dealer or
    > go the change oil-company

Go to a company that will rotate your tires for free after you pay for an initial rotation and balance. Discount Tire is one such company. Just pay one time and from there on, all rotations will be free.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    I just took my Grand Am in for its 30k Service. I bought it new in September '99. I thought I would share my experience with others who may be considering buying one.
    I bought a '99 SE 4 door-sedan in metallic gold (believe its called "champagne beige metallic"). Its been a reliable car to own. There is nothing it does exceptionally well, but it does nothing truly bad either.
    Being a base sedan, it came well equip with power door locks, air, tilt wheel, AM/FM/cassette, and fog lights. The only options I got was cruise control & an automatic transmission.
    Inside you find a big meaty 4 spoke steering wheel. Instrumentation is first rate with a tach, speed, fuel, engine temp gauges all glowing in a deep red @ night. There are plenty of idiot lights to remind you of other things. I wish it had an odometer that could be viewed @ the same time as the mileage meter.
    Lots of thoughtful nooks and crannys to store things in, but the front door pockets could be deeper. Perfect placement of remote trunk opener! Its located on the drivers door, making it easy to punch when you get out of the car and want to open the trunk.
    I have yet to find the perfect cupholders, and this car is no exception. The two that are provided in the front can only hold cans. I need one that will hold my 44 ounce "Big Gulp" I get every morning on the way to work. I did notice that a 2001 model has another cup holder behind the transmission stick. I wish mine had it!
    There is no actual dead pedal to rest your left foot, but there is a non-carpeted spot, its not uncomfortable.
    The drivers seat in my car seems "saggy". I've driven a '99 SE1 with the power height adjustment. This feature's ability to adjust the height of the seat, would have solved my complaint, I think. I would strongly recommend going for the SE1 package, I wish I had! (You get a lot of stuff, for not that much money.) The front seats overall are comfortable, but they could be more firm for my taste.
    The back seat sits low and you lean back further than I like. The rear glass/roof curviture causes your head/shoulders to be exposed to the sun. GM should provide a rear sun shade, @ least as an option. Two adults in the back seat will be okay, three is pushing it. Rear seat leg room is okay, as long as the front seats are not pushed all the way back.
    The trunk is roomy, even though the back seat doesn't fold down unless you order the SE1 package. The liner in my trunk does not "fit". On mine, it dangles out on the sides. I am constantly trying to tuck the fabric in, but it comes out every time. A minor thing, but its irritating. Also, the trunk lid is hard to close. I now have a small indent in the truck from slamming the trunk so hard with my hand.
    I have read a lot of owners complaining of the power door locks having to be pushed twice to lock. Its a feature called "delayed locking" and its standard on all Grand Am's. All you do is when you leave the car, push the door lock switch ONCE to lock, you will hear 3 chimes, the doors will NOT lock. 7 seconds later after you have closed the door, all the doors will lock and the lights on the car flash and the horn chirps. What the feature does is gives you a second chance to get back in the car after you have closed the door without having to unlock it. Also, the door locks are programmable. I have read a lot of people complaining about the doors locking or unlocking by themselves and they don't like it. Well, you can program it not to. Read your manual. Its easy.
    The paint application is good and the body panels feel "sturdy" and aligned. The doors have a nice "thunk" sound to them, but for some reason, the back doors never FEEL like they have closed. I always open them again and close them again, just to make sure. Now, the left back door's interior light defector pops out every time I slam the door closed... I finally gave up and just left it out.
    Those infamous side plastic panels that create such design debate are a bit on the gaudy side, but they sure keep the door dig monster away! No complaints from me.
    The base plastic wheel covers (although somewhat attractive) sound like they are going to crack when you hit a bump. Its very, irritating.
    As far as the engine goes, I get what I would call "peppy" performance from the base 4 cylinder engine. It can be loud (thrashy) when you stomp the pedal, but its not bad. I get good gas mileage. I've never measured my MPG's, but if I had to guess, I'd say I am getting in the low 20's in mostly city driving. I have had no mechanical problems other than one time it mysteriously refused to start. When it was towed to the shop, nothing could be found wrong and it started right up again. ???? It never happened again. Other than that, the car has been pretty much trouble free.
    So what do I NOT like about my Grand Am? Well, I hate the daytime running lights! I almost did not buy this car based on it having them. GM makes it difficult to disconnect them. If you pull the fuse (which I tried the minute I brought it home), you do without gauge lights + an idiot light remains lighted all the time. You also have to deal with an additional number of very loud warning chime notes every time you start the car. I would really like to have the option to turn my own lights on or off! GM should make them a no/low cost option and gives us a choice!
    Speaking of chime notes, when your gas tank nears empty a very LOUD chime warns you (along with a light on the dash). The chime startles me EVERY TIME! It also scares your passengers, and you have to start explaining to them that "every thing is okay". GM has gone overboard on all of the various lights, chimes and reminders their cars come with. They must think we are all idiots. Probably afraid of a law suit because somebody has sued them for running out of gas and the car not telling them to fill up!
    I have had a recurring problem with my gas cap. If you don't put the gas cap on "just right", the "check-engine" light comes on the dash. I've also had an electrical demon in the dash that makes the gas gauge fly between E & F (which causes that loud chime to go off!), I think its related to the same problem with the gas cap. Last time I took the car in for maintenance, they checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong. They referred me to my owners manual about properly putting the gas gap on. I can't seem to find out what I am doing wrong. ???
    The brakes make me a little nervous. Again, they FEEL a little weak. I've found myself on several occasions mashing the pedal down harder than I expected to have to.
    Overall, I am happy with my purchase. If anyone has any questions/comments that I can answer, I will be happy to do so.
    Jkidd2 - you make a great and thorough review of your Grand Am. I agree with most of what you said in your post. I have the GT model, which eliminates some of the problems you encountered (wheels, tires, seat, etc).

What I can't understand is why so many people are opposed to the daytime running lights. I really have no strong opinion about the DRL's, other than I'm all for being as visible as possible during the day. I can't tell you how many times I've driven in other cars and said "that guy didn't even see me".

But anyway, thanks so much for your thorough review. And also, I consistently get 24 mpg in 1/3 city, 2/3 highway driving.
  • cooneymcooneym Member Posts: 1
    My 99 GA GT has been to the dealer 5 times for a squeaking belt and they can't seem to fix it. The car has only 26,500 miles. The belt has been replaced and all the pulleys cleaned but the problem contines to reoccur after only a few weeks. Anyone experience the same problem or know of any answer?
    First, thanks for your kind words, I appreciate the feedback. I get a little tired of people bad mouthing the Grand Am. I try to remain objective.

I wish I had @ least gotten the SE1, but @ the time, my plan was to use the Grand Am as my "work" car and didn't see the need for all the options, since my goal was to use it to drive back and forth to work in. Now, I find myself driving it most of the time, simply because I enjoy it. Your absolutely right that had I @ least gotten the SE1, most of my irritants would have been solved. The GT is sharp, but if I had gotten it, I would have babyed it too much. I wanted something I didn't have to worry about.

I live in the Gulf Coast of Texas (Houston) where it rarely frosts, much less snows. DRL's were created for places like Canada where cars could not be seen in snowy conditions without their lights on, so DRL's became mandatory. My personal belief is that GM decided it would be easier to put DRL's on all their cars then to make some with and some without and claim it was for our safety.

I think the reason I hate them so much is simply I don't like having decisions made for me. Selfish I know, but it really bothers me that I have absolutely no control over whether my lights are on or off. We went camping recently and took the Grand Am and I actually got pulled over in the campground for not driving with my parking lights on. I explained to the patrol man I couldn't turn my lights off because they were automatic (they had signs posted to "drive slowly with parking lights only" as not to disturb other campers @ night.

I realize things like that don't happen very often in the real world, but when it does, it confirms my belief that I should have the right to decide on whether I want my lights on. I wouldn't mind if they came on when the wipers were started, if the concern is safety and being seen in bad weather, but to just have them on all the time for no other reason than to say it makes me more visable is a "cop-out" as far as I am concerned. Cars still pull out in front of me and cut me off all the time, so DRL's don't seem to effect careless drivers. Maybe I am just paranoid, I don't know... I just don't like being told what to do, we have enough intervention in our lifes by government and big corporations without them making simple decisions for us.

Toyota/Lexus initially began putting them in all of their cars and soon backed off deciding to make DRL's an option. From what I have read, they don't have many people checking the DRL box to order them.

See you live in NJ. I lived there for 2 years in the mid-90's. Loved it and miss living there.

Take care.
  • nerssnerss Member Posts: 43
    The bigger cupholder is available at the dealership and will fit the 99 GA. My fiancee bought a used one from the dealership and I ordered a cupholder for her. I don't remember the price, but I believe that it was around $20. The bigger cupholder is great. It will hold those huge bottles and when it is not being used as a cupholder if holds stereo remotes and cellphones wonderfully. The cladding does help to keep the dent monster away, but it turns white when it gets scratched and can be expensive if you want to replace it. The trunk lid problem sounds like the latch needs to be adjusted and a dealer could do it in a couple of minutes....they might not even charge you if they value your business :) Good Luck and Happy Motoring
    Hey thanks for the info! Just an FYI...I drove up to Little Rock (from Houston) today in my Grand Am. (I'm on my lap top! I go nowhere without the internet!) The weather was terrible, it rained the entire way. Well, I stopped for lunch and when I got back to the car, the drivers door would not unlock! I went around to the passenger side and unlocked the door from that side, went back over to the drivers door and it wouldn't open! Keep in mind, its raining the entire time and I didn't bring an umbrella. I go back over to the passenger side and try the latch from inside and the door opened. Once I got to Little Rock, I went by a Pontiac dealer to see if they could fix it for me and I was basically told to "get in line"...so, I guess I'll just wait until I get back to Houston and take it to the dealership where I bought it. In the mean time, everytime I get in the car now, I have to go to the passenger side and unlock it, reach across and open the latch for the drivers side and then get back out, walk over to the drivers side and get in. Not happy!

Maybe I'll check on that cupholder while I'm @ the dealer!

Thanks again!
  • rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    One of the things I noticed about the new Grand Am is that it would not make a good car for doing criminal activities at night while the car is moving or perhaps for a private detective who needs to "creep around" at night in the car with the lights off, because at night -- the damn lights are always on when the car is in motion! So buyer beware! "Can't be workin' on a scam if you're drivin' a Grand Am..."
    jkidd2 - good explanation of your dislike for DRL's. I can also imagine that they would be irritating at a drive-in movie theater, if there are any left in this country. Sorry to hear of your door lock problem. Do you have remote entry?

Back to the bodycladding issue: Why is it that the Grand Am, and Pontiacs in general, always get hammered on this issue? Have you looked around at other vehicles recently? On the way to work I must have seen 10 different models with overdone body cladding and no one ever mentions them.

Have you seen a Jeep Grand Cherokee? It has mega cladding and it's a different color than the rest of the vehicle. How about a Mitsubishi Eclipse - almost identical to the Grand Am. And then there's the Subaru sedan - same deal.

Almost every SUV (especially the small ones) has body cladding up the wazoo, usually two-tone so that it stands out even more.

If people hate body cladding, they should be mentioning all these vehicles, not just pick on the Pontiacs all the time.
    Sorry to hear about the door lock issue. I hope that it is a simple fix like they just need to hook a linkage back up or something like that. How did it handle in the rain? Are you running the stock Goodyear tires?
    I am 6'2 tall and a good 260 lbs. and find the Grand Am just fits me without the sunroof. But 2 people (a friend and someone at the dealership) told me I looked cramped inside. Is there anyone around my height or taller that has a GA? Thanks.
    I'm 6' 0" and about 200 pounds, and I don't feel cramped for space at all. The only thing that is sometimes a little annoying is ducking your head getting in and out. This is a problem when I have an occassional backache and I have to bend pretty far down to get in. But this is a minor inconvenience. Once in the car, the seat fits me like a glove and I feel like I'm in the cockpit of a jet fighter, ready to light the afterburners.

Who'd have thought a guy approaching 40 would be getting this excited about a car? Then again - look at my post name!
    Well guys...I'm not having a good trip. This a.m. I was backing out of the hotel parking lot and backed right into a large garbage container! Just left a little nick in the back passenger side bumper. I just flat didn't see it.

rpm9-believe it or not, there has been a few times I wanted to sneak up on friends/family in my car and couldn't because I couldn't turn off my lights....part of my demented sense of humor...

midlifecrisis-Do you remember back when we were in high school and we would get into debates with our buddies over what GM and Ford stood for? Being a GM guy, I always would argue it stood for "Great Motors" or "Go! Motors" and Ford stood for "Fix or Repair Daily" or "Found on Road Dead", and then my Ford buddies would come back with "First on Race Day" and "Gonareah Motors"...well I think that is the link back to the body cladding debate on Pontiac's, since the Grand Am is the most popular of Pontiac's current line up...it takes the brunt of the attacks. I would suspect that most of the people attacking the Grand Am are not fans of GM or American cars in general.

I think SUV's get away with all the cladding because there is perception out there that it looks "rugged". The Escalade and Denali have a lot of cladding on their sides too. Your right about the Eclipse, it looks just like the cladding on the GA. I have read alot of reviews of the Eclipse where the cladding is mentioned and the GA is referenced.

I don't have remote entry, it comes standard on the SE1, but not on the SE. I don't think it would help me with my door problem. I can unlock the door, it just won't open from the outside.

Since we are very close in age (I will hit the big 4-0 in August), I think its perfectly okay to be excited about your car! If I recall, you have a GT. What is scary is that I get excited about a base model SE with a 4 cylinder and 4 doors (well 3 that work)!

nerss-Thanks for your concern...I'm going to take it in for a repair Monday afternoon once I am back in Houston.

Driving up here yesterday in the rain, the GA handled well. I am one of those annoying drivers that come flying past you in the fast lane in the rain...I got behind a little S-10 that had a radar detector and followed him until he got off @ a rest area. I don't drive reckless, I just like to get where I am going and I never weave in and out or speed in high traffic. I do go through bouts of road rage...but I try very hard to keep calm. I'm a classic type A personality, and NOT proud of it. I don't have Goodyear tires....I have B. F. Goodrich, Touring TA's. They seem to be good all around tires. I have read a lot of comments about the GA not being a good handler @ high speeds, but I have no complaints.

I can't help you "vocus", I am only 5'8 and 165lbs, so I have more than enough room. I do have a couple of buddies that are in the 6'3 range that have commented that they are comfortable in the front...I drove to a ball game one night and one of them got stuck in the back seat and wasn't too happy with the leg room. As long as your comfortable, don't worry about what people say you "look" like in it.

Well guy's, wish me luck! I am leaving in the a.m. to head back to Houston. The weatherman is predicting snow all the way into East Texas, so if you see on the news a Gold Grand Am SE Sedan trapped in a snow bank with someone trying to pry the drivers door open, its me inside!

Take care all!

Billy
    What I did notice is that I have to "bow down" to get out of the front seats of the Grand Am too, even in the sedan though. I want the sunroof too, but am too tall to fit in the car with it. Though I got into a 2-door GT with a sunroof and fit fine, I did not fit in the 4-door. Also, I find the 2-door feels like it has more front leg room too. I might just get the 2-door GT1 and call it a day in about a year or so.
  • blumsdenblumsden Member Posts: 15
    There may be times when you wish you could turn off your lights and cannot. But there will be more times that some moron will be driving around at dusk and should have his lights ON and doesn't.

Having your lights always on will not cause a safety concern. The same cannot be said for driving with your lights off.

By the way, some cars DRL's will go off when the emergency brake is engaged. Not sure if this is so on GM's. You can sometimes pull up on the brake handle slightly, and the lights will go off. Give it a try, but don't damage your brake!

Brian
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Canada (where cars cannot be seen due to heavy snowfall)
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I've been using Edmunds for a while and mostly hang out in the SUV section (I had a '97 Nissan PF which I turned in today). But I'm also the proud owner of a '99 Grand Am SE2 Sedan.

While it's not the greatest car in the world, it's a great value. V6, steering wheel controls for stereo, programmable door-lock action, I love the auto head lamps (never have to worry about forgetting to turn them on or off), courtesy and auto-theater lighting, etc. Precise steering and handling. All this for under $20k ain't bad. Plus GM had some really low financing when I bought it. Almost like free money.

Though the has had no major problems, I few annoying things:

1) The Delco stereo- know that continously variable volume control (it's opto-electronic)? When it is really cold in the morning, if I try turning down the volume, it goes UP. The steering wheel control is fine. Anybody else seen this?

2) Sound system- for an "upgraded" sound system, it sucks compared to the Bose in the PF. I suspect that replacing the factory speakers would help a lot. Anybody have good sucess with this, especially the high-mounted door tweeters?

3)Those freakin' cup holders- whoever is the design genius who put them IN FRONT of the shifter should be shot. I saw the pop-out ones on the 01 GA, much better.

That's all for now... glad to be here!

TC
  • mbrewer4mbrewer4 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, I get that volume turning the wrong direction thing too...it happens when I turn the knob really fast. Strange.

Has anyone had a problem with their seat not leaning back? I had it happen when I first got the car (Bad timing because I was on a road trip to DC and found out when I tried to lean back and go to sleep for a bit.) I took it to the dealer, and the guy just got in and yanked the handle really hard while leaning back forcefully. Here 2 years later, it locked up again...so I tried yanking the handle and it came off in my hand. Dealer here I come.

Overall, I really like the car though. And I can't even come close to these payments when my lease ends in June!

Mike Brewer
    99 Grand Am SE1
    Made it back to Houston in one piece. Drove non-stop from the hotel in Little Rock to my house! 436 miles on one tank of gas! Took a little over 6.5 hours...averaged 67.07 mph. Averaged 32.05 miles per gallon. Not too shabby.
    > 2) Sound system- for an "upgraded" sound system,
    > it sucks compared to the Bose in the PF. I
    > suspect that replacing the factory speakers
    > would help a lot. Anybody have good sucess
    > with this, especially the high-mounted door
    > tweeters?

The Impala guys have been complaining about this also. Their solution has been to by-pass the trunk-mounted audio amp and they claim the sound is incredible as a result. Apparently, the speakers are much better than the standard speakers and with the amp disconnected, the radio pumps out enough juice to net a good sound.

I have the SE-1 and the CD head unit. Sounds great to me (no trunk amp), but then, I don't pump the audio up particularly loud. The lows and highs sound wonderful to me. The tweeter really enhances the sound. I previously had a '96 GrandAm without tweeters and I'm amazed at the audio difference.
    I have the GT and I love my stereo. Especially when I compare it to my Windstar van stereo. I crank up the CD as loud as I can without shattering the glass. The rear view mirror does a thumping dance from the base. I've never had any stereo volume problems (knock on wood), and the steering wheel controls are the best. I never even have to reach for the dashboard!

The most depressing thing about my car now is that it has snowed almost every week since mid-December in NJ. My car is bright red and begs to "glow" in the sunlight. It hasn't even been worth washing it since the snow started. There's so much road salt and grime that it makes the car look white. I have hosed it down a few times because I just can't stand to see the poor car suffer like that! LOL...

It also stinks not to be able to use the sunroof. But when it's always below freezing it isn't even worth opening. Bring on the Spring - please.
    Hey Midlife, you really love your Grand Am! That is great!

Taking mine into the shop tomorrow to get the door fixed.

That's what I miss about being in New Jersey...the snow! Down here its spring by mid-February.

I can remember one time up there trying to wash my Integra in the winter and the water actually freezing to the driveway as I washed it. Almost broke my neck. Most of my neighbors up there always referred to me as that "dumb Texan"

Stay warm!
  • whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    I wonder if your old neighbors think of our new President as they thought of you. :)
  • jdexter23jdexter23 Member Posts: 94
    I am just about ready to buy a used 2000 Grand Am SE sedan. It has 16,000 miles on it and options include: 3.4 V6, AT, power windows, power mirrors, power door locks, am/fm cd w/ 6 speaker stereo, power height adj. driver seat, cruise, power sunroof, 16 in alloy wheels, spoiler, AC, Traction control and ABS. The dealer is fixing all scratches and dings and selling it for $14,000. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, how difficult is it to put an aftermarket cd player in the Grand Am? Thanks.
    It sounds like a good deal. I would obtain a history of the car and any service records that they might have on it. An aftermarket stereo is pretty easy to install and I would recommend an
    Alpine. That is what I have in my Blazer and I love it. The only drawback is that it renders any remote stereo controls on the steering wheel inoperable. Good Luck on your purchase.
    Nerss,

Is this Alpine a double DIN reciever or does it require an adapter kit? Also, what color is the display? I have a single DIN Pioneer in my current car that I love, but the display is blue, which I feel will look lousy with the red dash lights.

If anyone has swapped their stock deck with an aftermarket that fits and looks good, please let me know. Thanks.
    14k sounds good....check this site out and see what you come up with. You need to add your zip code and pick the appropriate equiptment. I found it helpful...

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.tp?kbb&&32&split

Good luck...

Can't help you out on the CD replacement issue.

The alpine is not a double DIN, but they do make a double DIN CD Player. Their colors for the display are blue and green. I noticed that there are less stereos coming in red display colors. I do beleive that the new Sony Xplod series do come in red. My friend has one where the dolphins swim on the screen while stuff is playing. He really likes it, but it cost him around 400. Let me know what you decide.
    I feel that most of the currently available double DIN stereos are an eyesore, but adapter kits can be too. I will probably stick with the stock system for awhile until i do find one with a red display. I have not had the best luck with Sony products, so I tend to stay away from them. My friend had an older Kenwood that could switch back and forth between green display and orange display. Too bad other manufacturers didn't offer this option.

Does removal of the stock stereo effect the theft deterant system? Thanks.
    I believe that the theft deterrent for the stereo is located and only effects the stereo. Therefore when you remove the stock stereo it will not effect the rest of the car. The stock stereo is pretty good-for a stock stereo. My fiancee loves to turn up the bass of hers and listen to the little "bump" that it provides. That Kenwood feature is pretty freakin' cool. I have heard that Sony does have customer service issues and quality control issues, but cross my fingers we haven't needed them for service with any of our electronics. Talk to ya later
    Got my '99 Grand Am SE Sedan back from the dealer this p.m.. The reason my door wouldn't open was the lock rod somehow came loose. Fixed under warranty with no cost to me.

By the way, got to lookin @ my 30k service receipt and noticed the following:

Recall 00036--CK on RECALL
    Completed

Latch 10.268

Replaced under warranty.

Does anyone know what that is about? I never got anything in the mail, nor did my service advisor tell me they had done some type of warranty work.

???

Thanks!
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:CONSOLE (8/82)
    Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Mfg. Campaign #: 00036
    Year: 1999
    Make: PONTIAC
    Model: GRAND AM
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 487400
    Manufactured From: OCT 1997 To: SEP 1999
    Year of Recall: '00
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: These vehicles do not comply with the occupant protection requirements of FMVSS No. 201, "Occupant Protection in Interior Impact." The console cover on these vehicles does not stay closed when a specified vertical load is applied.

In the event of a crash, the console cover could open and the cover or items stored under it could injure an occupant.

Dealers will replace the console latch mechanism. Owner notification began June 9, 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Oldsmobile at 1-800-442-6537 or Pontiac at 1-800-762-2737. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    tonychrys-thanks for the information....I was hoping it had something to do with my trunk latch which I have to slam hard about 3 times to get it to lock. Oh well....

Take care.
    I would still make them adjust it, if it is still under warranty. Latch problems/adjustments happen all the time on any vehicle.
    The 99 GAs are notorious for the amount of road noise you hear. Has anyone taken their's to Ziebart or something like it to get underbody coating?

TC
    I guess I haven't paid much attention to the road noise. I'll take you on a ride in my Integra if you want to hear some loud road noise. You can't hear yourself think in it!

In the GA, I have noticed some rather bothersome wind noise, but I assumed it was coming from the side mirrors.

Thanks again for the info...you know, you did tell me to get the service dept. to look @ the trunk latch...unfortunately, I walk around in a cloud of confusion most of the time...

Take care.
    Has anyone noticed if their GA's chrome trim (around the door window) is starting to rust or discolor where the two ends meet? I noticed this on the driver's door right next to the mirror on a 2000 GA I am looking to buy. Is this common with all GAs? Thanks.
    I remember researching the GA in 99 before I bought it and a common complaint in a lot of magazine reviews was the road/engine noise. It's definitely noticeable compared to other vehicles.

I just took delivery of a Lexus RX300 on Monday. You sometimes forget the engine (220hp) is on it's so quiet!
    I have a '99 and live by the ocean where things are NOTORIOUS for corroding and rusting. Mine seems to be holding up fine.

My guess in your case is that something probably nicked/scratched/rubbed the top layer of the chrome and allowed the rust process to start.

TC
  • joeyw1joeyw1 Member Posts: 1
    i used to own a 1989 grand am and it had over 200,000 miles when i bought it (mostly towing miles). Only one time did it not start (i live in iowa where it gets extremely cold). Even though the car was pretty used up when i bought it, it was still running when i got rid of it. In fact it is still running for these people. My point is i am thinking about buying a 1995 grand am,80K on it I don't want to do the loan thing so I am going to pay cash. I want to know if they have a good long running record without many difficulties. I am ditching a ford taurus which has had transmission, motor mount, and head gasket problems. I don't mind the minor stuff but want a dependable car. any input would be appreciated.
    I had the console latch recall done by the dealer several months ago. When I got it home, it did not look or feel any different. It opened just as easy and the mechanism did not look any different. Either the dealer took me for a ride or the change was so minor it was unnoticeable. The whole recall just seemed so absurd to me. This is a downfall of living in such an overly litigous society.
    Agreed on the absurdity.

But all it takes is one pen to come flying out that glovebox, during an accident, and poking someone in the eye. The lawyers will have a field day.

8-P
    jdexter23

Went out this evening and examined my chrome door trim around the doors carefully. No rust or discoloration on mine.