Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Here's a better question: When do you need a tuneup? With all the electronics and new plugs in these cars, I thought tuneups were a thing of the past.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    You don't... sort of. The only thing that needs to be replaced (aka tune-up) is mostly the wires and plugs, because they have a finite useful life. It's clearly stated in the maintenance schedule in the OM.

Theoretically, one could do other things like fuel injector cleanings to make sure the vehicle is operating at peak efficiency without the ECM trying to compensate for a defficiency somehwere (fuel flow, air flow, etc.)
  • rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    lindsey: Yes, you are correct. I could not afford the original monthly payments. But I had an opportunity to refinance my car by extending the term and lowering the interest rate. The bank was willing to work with me and they actually were able to reduce my payment at an affordable monthly plan. I decided to decline the offer because I just wanted to get rid of the car the most convenient way I could.

And yes, my posts gradually morphed into other reasons as to why I got rid of my Grand Am because I, at the time, did not want to tell the whole story in my inaugural post #747. However, I felt compelled to share my story because these forums are about sharing our thoughts, feelings, and ideas about our experiences with our cars.

So face it: Perhaps whacko is right. Perhaps you are offended by my posts because you own a Grand Am. If this is the case, I just want you to know that offending anyone was not my intent.

jkidd2: I have a close relative who is a Sales Manager at an automobile dealership. Those days where one can no longer get financed due to bad credit, repossession, or bankruptcy are no longer the case. He tells me that I'd be surprised to know how many bad credit customers his dealership can get financed on a car. He has assured me on several occasions not to worry about my voluntary repossession. Just stay employed and keep my debt to income ration down, and there will be a bank out there who will still be eager to do business with me.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There will be a bank who will do business with you, but then you will be right back to having high payments and high interest due to bad credit.

I have a question. I often wondered, so you have to pay the rest of the loan off on a car if you h have it repossessed? One person told me they did, but a couple others told me no, they didn't. I am confused.
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    Well, true enough about the tune ups. But, getting back to the oxygen sensor. Here is the URL and a blurb from the web page:

http://www.boschusa.com/Consumer/Automotive/OxygenSensors/

WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR OXYGEN SENSOR

Carbon, soot, harmful gases, anti-freeze, chemicals and thermal and physical shock shorten the life of an oxygen sensor. That's why checking for, and possibly replacing*, a worn-out oxygen sensor is an important part of every routine tune up. *Most oxygen sensors wear out after 30,000 to 50,000 miles in use. Newer heated-type oxygen sensors with 3 or 4 wires wear out after 60,000 to 100,000 miles.

• rgreene5rgreene5 Member Posts: 3
    The last time I posted on here I was telling everyone about all of the problems I have had with my 2000 pontiac grand am gt and most people seemed to think I got a lemon. Well I took my car in for yet many other problems on Monday of this week. It was in the shop for molding popping off from the rear of the car, a cover inside of the car was coming up which was exposing wires the brakes were messing up again, the mirrors have fades and look like a pale grey rather than black, the passenger side door leaks and there is still a noticeable miss at idle. When taking my car in to the dealership I was told that I should just wax the mirrors because they are supposed to look like that. I told the dealer that I had seen a service bulliten on the mirrors from GM that said they should be painted or replaced. He said he would talk to the service manager about that. I was given a 96 Corsica that had carpet stains beyond belief, the seat moved back and forth when you hit the gas and had an entire collection of cassette tapes which gave me the impression that perhaps this is someone actual veichle. I took the car and said nothing, although I have had many other courtesy cars that were at least comparable to mine. I called Tuesday afternoon hoping my car would be finished so I wouldn't be driving this junk car anymore. I spoke with the service manager and was told everying else on my car had been done and that it was at the body shop having the mirrors painted as we spoke and that I could pick it up on Wednesday so the mirrors would have ample time to dry. I was satisfied with this because apparently they had decided to do something about the mirrors this time instead of blowing me off.
    Wednesday I arrive to pick up the car and I am told that they haven't painted the mirrors yet. I asked why and they immediately started to become defensive saying I was never told it would be ready today. My husband became quite perplexed and insisted on speaking with the body shop which is located on the other side of town. They said that they were gone for the day. Which didn't make any sense so we asked if both shops left at the same time, yes they said, so why were they still there. The guy goes into a back room comes out and dials the body shops number and of course they answer, my husband talks with them saying the mirrors would be painted later that evening. Yet something else that doesn't make any sense. It just seems odd to me that someone is coming in after hours to work on my car, I got the feeling that we were being lied to. So I asked if I could have another car besides the piece of junk they had given me. He said he wasn't authorized to do so. I asked why couldn't he slap a dealer plate on something, he said that wasn't an option. So we just stood there, because we weren't leaving. Again they went into a back room and he took out a dealer plate and put it on a buick skylark, which was far better than what I had previously.
    This morning (Thursday) someone from the parts department calls to let me know my molding has came in. That didn't make any sense because I was told that everything else had been done except the mirrors and besides they still have my car. So I called to talk with the service manager and he said they didn't realize they had my car. What is going on? I asked. He said that after what happened last night about me demanding another car he will not ever give me another courtesy car and that my car would be ready today and then he hung up on me. I immeditly called back and he said that he didn't realize I hadn't finished talking. I told him how rude his service people have been and he said that we rude last night and that was inexcusable behavior.(I could not believe what I was hearing)He said that there was a misunderstanding about my car being finished, when he was the one who said that it would be done. I asked if they gave out compreable courtesy cars and he said yes only if the problem being fixed is a hazardous driving condition but whenever the problem in pidely then it doesn't really matter. I then asked if he thought my problems with my car were pidely and he said well it wasn't a hazardous condition. I asked him if he believed in customer service,I told him I called GM the previous night(which I really did) to complain about what had happened, he replied oh yeah, like that will hurt, I told him that GM seemed to care about it and he said well I hope that they call me and I told him the service there was piss poor and then he hung up on me. Believe it or not this is the guy that GM assigned me to deal with. I was so angry I couldn't think about anything else. I know of course never to go back to this dealership but is there anything I can do about this?
  • nerssnerss Member Posts: 43
    I am very sorry to hear that you have had such problems with this dealership. I fully beleive that when a new car gets a bad reputation it is related to how efficiently and quickly the company can remedy the problem. Most of the problems that you have written about should be covered under your warranty and should not have been an issue to fix with that dealer. They would be completely reimbursed by GM for the money that they spend. I would follow up your complaint with GM and also talk to the Better Business Bureau in your area about filing a complaint and then ask them for a reputable Pontiac dealership in the area. I hope that all of the stuff is fixed on your car soon and that you can really nail those SOBs through GM and the BBB. Let us know what happens.
    First, I am not here to defend GM, but everything that you described points to a very, very, bad dealer, which happens with any brand of vehicle.

The arrognance you describe almost leads me to believe he is the only Pontiac dealer in your area? If not, I can't beleive they would risk losing you as a customer and getting a bad rep with folks you talk to.

GM always encourages customers to try to work it out with the dealer first, which it seems you tried. If I was you I would call the service manager one more time and tape the conversation. Though not legally admissable, it would be a tremendous eye opener for the GM folks if you play it for them. Just a suggestion.

After you contact GM, I would contact your local TV station's "consumer reporter", these folks will sometimes intervene if they smell a story.
    rgreen5, do you use my dealer? grinnn

>I know of course never to go back to this dealership but is there anything I can do about this?

Wish I could help, but I have to go through the same thing.

Basically, my dealer responds positively to anything I suggest, assuming I can qualify what I am talking about. But, my dealer would never dare volunteer a fix, suggest a fix, or do a fix on their own, even if it were staring at them.

Case in point: over a year ago, I hit a wild pig on a rural road (this IS Texas, ya know?). They had to replace the entire nose cap. The body shop did the work and got overspray over everything--not just a little bit but a whole bunch.

The kid removing overspray never would rub his fingers or hands over the body, but would just simply start doing the overspray removal with the clay and buffer, even over areas that already had overspray removed. He would apply the cleaner, spray the car down and dry it.

Not once did he go back and check to see if the overspray was gone. When I returned the car for more overspray removal, they cheerfully put the car in the booth, the same kid started doing a whole car overspray removal, not even checking where the overspray was.

Because the front end of the car was the part that hit the offending pig, the headlight assembly had to be removed and the bulbs replaced.

Guess who didn't realign the headlights?

Finally, speaking of alignment.... Even though the insurance had front-end alignment as part of the repair, it was never done. The body shop computer showed it in the work order, but the mechanic shop did not have it in the work order.

Soooo, to make a very long story short, I think rgreen5 and I are using the same dealer, and I think automobile owners should have a "patient's bill of rights".
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...have been removed.

Thank you,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    rpm9...you are correct, you can always find a dealer that will be willing to sell you a car, no doubt, but expect to be gouged out the whazzo and pay a very high interest rate + they will force you to add options/extended warranties you don't want, etc....(believe me, I know...I went through it in my early 20's. I always say it was the hardest lesson I have ever learned) I guess I was thinking more on the line of when it comes time to buy a house or something like that, your bad credit will come back to haunt you. Good luck to you.

rgreen5...you might want to look in the SUV posts under the Infiniti QX4...I can't remember the persons exact moniker, I think it might have been QX4 Lemon or Infiniti Lemon...but he provides a really good history on how he dealt with a similar situation as yours. He also has a website that you can link to from his postings...that is good research for anyone going through an ordeal with a dealer. Might help? Best of luck to you.
  • whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    Don't worry that you'll have to pay a higher interest rate due to your bad credit. Just be thankful that our country still allows you to get financed on a vehicle despite credit challenges.

The good thing about it is that you'll be sort of forced to buy a more inexpensive vehicle because the bank will not want to take a bigger financial risk due to your unfavorable credit rating.

Meanwhile, I admire you and I commend you for having the guts to do what you did. It's not often you hear someone be brave enough and strong enough to let something go at such a dear price. Keep your chin up and you'll do just fine.
    Whoa, that is one of the worst stories I've ever heard of poor customer service from a dealer. What is wrong with these people? So far, my Pontiac dealer service has been way above my expectations. They've even fixed a few minor things I didn't even request!

I realize the service guys may get a little frustrated and annoyed with a lemon car just like the owner does. But I would think they would have some human compassion for the car owner. And besides, that IS their job to work on the cars, isn't it? It's NOT the car owner's job to keep wasting their time bringing the car back to the dealer because the dealer was too incompetent to fix it right the first time. I would get on every message board and post the name and location of this dealership to make as many people as possible aware of their completely unacceptable behavior and service. Maybe in some way you can hit them in the pocketbook, where it counts.

Definitely go to the BBB and to GM. If you know of any lawyer, maybe you can write some letters using their letterhead. That ought to shake somebody up.

Let us know how you make out. We're all pulling for you on this one.
  • lindseylindsey Member Posts: 41
    It may be more than "inadmissable" to tape a phone conversation; it may be illegal. Just ask Linda Tripp. Generally, you can legally tape a phone conversation if you let the other party know you are doing so at the beginning of the conversation. However, you should check with an attorney in your state before doing so.
    I don't mean to be over-critical, but this is certainly not what I'd be saying to my son if he had a car repossesed:

"Meanwhile, I admire you and I commend you for having the guts to do what you did. It's not often you hear someone be brave enough and strong enough to let something go at such a dear price. Keep your chin up and you'll do just fine."
    It's all about personal responsibilty, like not running out on the check at a restaurant.

Selling the car, and then paying off the loan and taking a loss is called being responsible for your debts and moving on.

Simply defaulting on the loan is basically running out on the check. Now you are leaving it up to the creditor to sell the car and take the loss between whatever they can sell it for and the balance on the loan at the time of default.

All because it may be "a big bank" that takes the loss, doesn't make it right or ethically responsible.

Why do you think the congress is trying to pass legistlation at this very moment that will make it harder for individuals to declare bankruptcy? Because too many folks are using it as a "get out of jail free card".

I don't know about you, but I was raised different. To each his own.
    I certainly agree with both of you (midlife and tony), but I am making an assumption that RPM9 is "youthful" in age.

We have all made some really bad decisions in our youth that if we could have known then, what we know now, we would certainly have done it differently. Sharing our concern for what he did is one thing...but we don't need to ridicule him for it, like so many of our fellow "posters" like to do. Sometimes, no matter how well you were brought up, you make big mistakes. I had to learn the hard way, RPM9 will most certainly do so too.

On a lighter/brighter note...I had to go to New Orleans this week on business and drove my GA. No problems....357 miles one way on a little over 3/4 tank of gas.....not bad huh?

Got back early this a.m. and took it in and treated it to a detail and hand wax....looks mahavelous....as Billy Crystal would say. Dump truck through a rock on the way there and put a ding in my windshield....p.o.'d me big time....

Best to all....have a good weekend! Spring is here in Houston!
  • whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    A man loses his job unexpectedly due to an injury and can't pay his bills. He has to file bankruptcy because he can't pay his bills due to his sudden unemployment. Do we ridicule him for a situation he had no control over? A woman gets divorced from a marriage and she can no longer depend on her significant other's income and therefore has to file bankruptcy because she can't pay her bills? Do we ridicule her because of a situation that she didn't have complete control over?

RPM9 had an opportunity to refinance his vehicle and declined to do so because he no longer saw the value in his investment. He felt that the physical and emotional aspect of the car was not worth the fianancial investment that he had earlier agreed to? So is it right to ridicule a man who feels he made a grave financial mistake?

Think about all the times we have returned items that we bought at a store and returned it because we felt that it was not a smart investment on our part.

The only thing that differs between what RPM9 did is the fact that it was a much larger financial investment and that a piece of paper (a contract) was attached to it with a no money back guarantee.

Hopefully, none of us will ever be put in the same situation as RPM9 was in regards to his vehicle. But to ridicule him is inappropriate. I prefer to pat him on the back, tell him it's going to be okay, and learn from his lesson.

Good-luck RPM9! I admire you for your guts...
    I will respectfully disagree with you. Your examples I see as flawed. In your first paragraph, you list genuine hardship cases, and say we should have compassion for them. I agree with you 100%.

But then you state RPM9 simply wanted "out". This is not a hardship case. This is buyer's remorse, and in many states you have 72 hours to change your mind (though not many). We're not talking a few days, but several months when he changed his mind!

I'm sure RPM9 is a great guy and I'm not here to ridicule him or any one else. But I don't agree with want he did, that's all. Maybe you're right, maybe he is young and still learning (I'm not that old, and I'll always be learning till the day I die). But this country has a problem when everybody thinks they can just walk away from their decisions and responsibilities, when it's not due to hardship. Again, I'm not singling out RPM9, just making a general observation.

Peace,
    TC
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    let's return to discussing the Grand Am instead of the folks who post here.

Thanks,

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Sorry, that was what I was hoping to do with my last post!

Best to all!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    thanks jkidd - that was just a general message, not directed at anyone in particular.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    If it ever stops snowing and raining here in the northeast, maybe I can go wash my car. It's been at least a month and I'm getting edgy. The only thing I've done is hose down the car and wash off salt and sand from the wheel wells.

I bought a partial cover for the front of my hood. It is a black thick vinyl that covers about one foot of the hood, protecting it from rock dings. During the first year and a half, I got about a half dozen dings in this area.

My co-worker said to be careful of car covers, because they can trap dirt inside and scratch the paint. I make sure I thoroughly clean the cover when I wash the car. So far I've only seen a tiny amount of grime inside the cover. Also, the paint supposedly does not fade like the rest of the car. The directions said not to leave a wet cover on your car on days where the car would be exposed to the bright hot sun.

This is not a full car bra, as I didn't want to cover the whole front end, just the front of the hood. I bought it from carlovers.com for about $27.

Does any body else have experience with hood covers on the 1999-2001 Grand Ams (or other cars)? Are there any other problems I could expect?
    "Does any body else have experience with hood covers on the 1999-2001 Grand Ams (or other cars)? Are there any other problems I could expect?"

I have used these in the past, and you have covered all the cavaets already. Because I never garaged my car, they were more trouble than they were worth. Every time it rained, you'd have to take it off, hang it somewhere to dry, and then put it back when it was finally dried out. The dirt/debris getting trapped between the cover and your hood is a very real danger, it'll act like sandpaper due to the road vibrations.

I'm not saying that they don't serve a purpose, they do. But the long term ownership became more of a hassle and I ended up just not using it.

For an alternative to front end protection click here.

Check this site out....might be some help.

http://www.partsforyourcar.com/

best.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the input -- both positive and negative. But despite what I've done, I can still count my blessings that I'm young, healthy, employed, and have good friends and a loving family for their support.

I know that I made a decision that I will pay dearly for, for many years to come. But I'm not ashamed of it.

When it comes right down to it, all I really did was return an item that I no longer was satisfied with.

But either way, the sun will still rise the next day, progress will still move forward, and life will go on with many more lessons to teach us...
  • the_art_guythe_art_guy Member Posts: 61
    My two cents...

My previous car was a 99 Chevy Malibu for which I had a front end cover. It's really not as bad as some people think. I ordered mine directly from GM so I knew it would fit perfectly. Contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT have to remove the cover when it is wet (e.g. after it rains). The covers are designed to dry off while you are driving and even when you're not driving, the water doesn't get trapped under the cover.

The only time I took my cover off was when I washed the car and a few times to actually clean the underside of the cover itself, which is recommended every few months.

I will not lie, yes some dirt and pieces of leaves and things get trapped under the cover, but not enough to do any damage. I mean, I am talking a very small amount of dirt and debris. And really, most of the dirt gets caught up in the edge of the cover near the wheel wells and along the headlights and/or fog lights.

I had my cover on the Malibu for about 6 months and never had any problems. I know have a 00 Grand Am SE and am picking up my front end cover from the dealer this week :)

Just make sure you read the information that came with the cover so you know how to take care of it. Unless you're going to let your car sit out in the sun for longer than 3 or 4 weeks without driving it, you don't need to remove the cover. A good cover will also have an anti-mildew backing on it.
  • bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    RPm, like many people have posted, you will be able to get a loan, but the interest rate will be in the 20+ range, also I hope you own a house, I work in mortgages, and A repossession, voluntary or not, will keep you from getting a mortgage with Fannie mae for about 4 years.
    To Vocus, when a car gets repossessed, they sell it for what they can get for it, so if RPm owed 17,000 and they could sell it for 17000 he would be ok. But if they could only sell it for 14,000 they would still come after him for the other 3,000.
    By the way my 2000 GT is still an amazing car. 28,000 miles and no problems.
  • jdexter23jdexter23 Member Posts: 94
    I also had a hood cover on my camaro for 4 years, and it DOES cause scratches at the edge of the cover. Like the_art_guy, I didn't have to take it off when it rained either. I didn't notice any fading difference in the paint, just a difference in wax build up. On the other hand, the scratches are minimal compared to the chips from thrown stones.

I went for a long drive from central Massachusetts to Portland Maine and got 29.5 MPG. It wasn't entirely highway driving and I wasn't trying to be fuel conservative. Not bad. Now if only I could find the rattle in my roof I would be totally happy...
    It doesn't matter to me that I have to pay a higher interest. I just appreciate the fact that despite what happened, that I can still get financed on a car. In other countries, when you can't pay your debt, they cut off your arm. But in America, we're forgiven and they give us second chances. In the most truest form -- God Bless America!
  • rgreene5rgreene5 Member Posts: 3
    Hello I wrote about my terrible experience with a dealer a couple of weeks ago (#806)and I wanted to give a little update and also other questions. Thanks for everyone giving me comments, it gave me a lot to think about. I spoke to GM about what happened with the dealer and they basically told me they can no longer help me if I am going to the BBB. So now which would be better letting GM handle it, or the BBB. What would either of them do. To file a complaint with the BBB at the end of the form you must list what you want out of it. I would like an apology first of all, but can I even ask for that? I will never go there again, so what exactly can I get out of it? I would like the dealership to know that is no way to treat people and I wish they could lose business, but that is not an option. What is the BBB going to do to them? Also if a dealer says there is nothing wrong with the car and I say that there is and that was the 4th time the dealer couldn't fix the brake problem with my 2000 pontiac gt grand am, does that fall under the lemon law? The first time I even took it in for the brakes nothing was wrong either, but the second time I had new brakes and rotors all around. The third and fourth time nothing is wrong, but I say there still is. GRAND AM GT FOR SALE!!
    From what you posted above, say to GM "fine, I'll drop the BBB if you tell me what you are going to do to resolve the situation."

The most important thing in this whole process is that you have to document everything in case it does get to lemon law status. Even if you have a conversation with someone, document it with time, date, etc.

If you are talking warranty service, can't you take it to another dealer?
  • pwilliamkpwilliamk Member Posts: 21
    I have a '00 SE2. I have complained of several problems with the car to the dealer that they can't seem to reproduce when I take it in.
    I have had problems with the steering vibrating on the highway (not due to warped rotors), I am just highway driving and it seems to be quite rough. The other problems that I mentioned to them were wet front floors and a diesel engine type of noise coming from the engine when I get off the highway. Anyone else have these problems? I do have the 4cyl. engine.

Are cosmetic problems covered under the basic warranty. My groundeffect of the drivers side is cracked in the front wheel well and is chipped in several places on the passenger side. The plastic molding that runs along the bottom of the door windows seems to have settled on both sides. It is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower on back windows. Would this stuff be covered under warranty.

Thanks for any help
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I had the same issue with vibrations at speed with my TBIRD. Took it to a local mechanic. He told me to get new rubber. Put a set of fresh Yokohama's on, and PAPOW. Vibes were gone.

Not familiar with Pontiac's but this may help you out.

RR
  • pwilliamkpwilliamk Member Posts: 21
    The thing is that I only have 12000 miles on my car and have the 16" rims with the Goodyear LS tires. I just had the tires rotated and balanced so I don't understand why the vibration is still there.

Pete
    The problem could be a bad bead or tread problem in the physical tire itself. I had a 98 GMC Sonoma and I separated a bead in my tire on a massive pothole (MI roads) and I couldn't get rid of the vibration until I noticed a bulge in the tire and replaced it. I hope that this solves your problem.
    Hi Everyone...

Found this on the web this evening...provides some info on the upcoming Epsilon based GA and some nice comments about the current GA too. Nice to hear...

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/03/21/home_auto/q_auto_wed/index.htm

One thing I miss about my 00 GA/V6 is the engine. That 3.4L was a very smooth powerplant. It's much smoother and seems more powerful than my 94 Mazda 626's 2.5L V6 engine. But then again, my Mazda is seven years old and the GA was brand new.

However, what I don't miss about my GA was the steering. It was much too light and it always felt like I didn't really have a good feel of the road, especially when I was making sharp turns. For me, the handling of the GA was unsatisfying.

In the past, I've owned an 86 Honda Prelude Si, an 88 BMW 325is, a 95 Mazda Millenia S, a 97 Nissan Maxima GLE, and now a 94 Mazda 626 LX. The 00 Grand Am's handling was inferior to all these cars I've driven and owned.

But that Grand Am V6 engine was one of the best. However, the Maxima V6 was without a doubt, the very best V6 engine I have ever driven.
    I've heard the Maxima engine is quite good. Just out of curiosity, why did you get rid of the 1997 Nissan if it was so good?

I have a 1999 Grand Am GT. It is by far the BEST handling car I've ever owned. And I've been driving for over 20 years now and owned about a dozen cars. The GT package makes an incredible difference. I didn't notice it too much when I did a quick test drive of the GT and SE models. But as I drove the car more and more, the difference was apparent.

I guess the major downfall of the SE is the tire itself. If you like turn-on-a-dime steering and can handle a slightly less smooth ride, I'd recommend the GT. If you have an SE, it seems most people have replaced their tires.
    I don't get it, my experiece is just the opposite. I have a '99 GA SE2 and folks complain when they drive my car that the steering is too sensitive and precise. Most folks are use to steering that is loose and "floaty". My GA goes exactly where I want it with a flick of the wrist.

As to ride, I can't imagine it getting any harsher, with the present low-profile tires you feel every bump, plus, the suspension really has no "cushion". This car is defintely set up for "driving", not lux-cruising.
    You don't know how good you have it till its gone. My 00 GA SE just went into the dealer for some service and my loaner is a 95 Buick LeSabre. What a tank! I miss my GA already and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

I agree with Tonychrys. My SE handles just fine and is plenty sensitive. I have the 16" rims, so maybe the lower profile tires help stick to the road moreso than tires on 15" rims would.
    Does anybody have any new information about the 2003 Grand Am in relation to the interior specs and available options???? My fiancee and I are interested in the possibility of buying a new one in 2003 and the AWR sounds really appealing for our snowy climate.
    Hi Everyone,

Over the last two days while driving home from work I have detected a faint smell of burning plastic in the cabin of my GA. When I get out of the car @ home, the odor is particurally strong around outside of the drivers door. I've looked underneath the car and don't seen any plastic stuck to anything, the converter is free of debris and I popped the hood and can't find anything out of place or smoking in the engine well. The check engine gauge hasn't come on and the oil pressure looks good.

Any idea what this could be?????
    Are you sure its not the brake pads? Other than that, I would just look for plastic shielding touching any hot or moving parts of the car.

On a side note, has anyone had their sunroof rattle? if so, please tell me what part of it was loose so I can fix it quicker. I brought my GA to the dealership to have it fixed and they said that they couldn't. (Actually, i just think they didn't want to get into a big job of taking the headliner down). Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JD
    I just had the front pads replaced @ 30k. I'm @ 33k now....do you think I should take it in to be looked at?

I don't have a moonroof on my GA, but I do have one on my '99 Prelude. I had a couple of annoying rattles on it and I took some WD40 and put it on the runners and the rattles went away....might want to try it....would'nt hurt to try?
  • jafan43jafan43 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Last year I ended up trading in my 99 Grand Am GT due to a ridiculous problem: both doors (it was a coupe) leaked water into the back seat of the car when it rained or snowed. I brought the car back to the dealer three times. Each time they claimed to have fixed the problem with parts from the factory. I was told that it was a problem that GM was aware of, thus the parts ready from the factory. At least GM could have notified the owners of this problem, if they were already aware of it. By the time I traded it in, and several carpet cleanings later, the interior smelled of musty mildew and the under carriage was already rusting from the inside out directly underneath the back floor. Watch out for leaking doors Grand Am owners. I am much happier with my 2000 Grand Prix GT. I should have bought the GP to begin with. 6k miles and not a problem (knock on wood!).
    Did you notice the smell right after you changed the pads? My GA has that oil smell (others on this page say their do the same)that comes through the vents when the car is stopped, are you sure its plastic you smell and not that?

Thanks for the advice on the rattle.
    JD
    No, its not an oily smell @ all...it smells just like plastic burning...

The smell only started a couple of days ago. I had the pads replaced if I remember correctly, sometime in January.

I don't even know if its related, I drove the car to work, must have been Wednesday a.m....didn't notice a smell, but when I got in the car to come home, before I even started the car, I thought "geez...what is that smell?" in the cabin. I thought maybe my cat had somehow gotten in the car overnight in the garage and sprayed! But, the windows had been left up that night. This odor was distinctly different from the plastic smell and whatever it was went away. When I got home from work that evening is when I noticed the plastic burning smell.

We did have torential rains Wednesday with some street flooding, but I didn't drive through any deep water, but the roads were wet and I did hit some shallow standing water in a couple of places...wonder if that could be it?

I took the GA this afternoon to the dealer for a quick oil/filter change and lube. I told them about it, but they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Oh well?

Let me know if the WD40 helps...its a wonder product....
    Well, all right you SE owners. Tired of the GT guys getting all the limelight? Well, us SE guys can strut our stuff too. The photo was taken on the Texas coast by me on Galveston Island's West End. I think I need a RED car. Notice the RED, not black, mirrors.

By the way, Little Red has 53,000 miles on it now and still cruising along just fine.

Where in the world is Accra, Texas? Hey, I was raised in Galveston! Most of my family is still there! There is no place like HOME! I took the flag of Chile, because it looks like the Lone Star!

Nice photo! I love my SE too!