Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Century

Comments

• gtpvlxgtpvlx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94' Century that just went over a 100,000 miles. Pretty reliable car! The only maintenance thus far on this vehicle was brakes, alternator, and regular fluid changes. I even took this car to the Republic of Panama for three years.
  • joe237joe237 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I bought a 1996 Buick Century awhile back. Had 77,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Has a 3.1L V6 in it, and it's got most all the options you could get (less leather seats/cd player/aluminum wheels) This being the first front wheel drive, fuel injected car I've ever owned, I'm very pleased with this car. It rides good, handles well and that V6 churns out more ponies than the 2barrelled V8 I had in my first buick century (vintage 1973) Have had no problems with it whatsoever. Was much cheaper than most of hte cars I was looking at and was more economical. And given Buick's reputation as a reliable car and it being of quality, I bought it. So anyone who challenges the quality/reliability/reputation of a Buick, they obviously haven't owned one or driven one before. They're great cars!
  • lmtoddlmtodd Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Century that idles very eratic for the first 30 to sixty seconds. The car has 72,000 miles on it. The idle speed varies from very fast to very slow. After about a minute it smooths out. Can anyone give me advice as to what the problem might be? Other than the poor idling, I like the car very much. It is a car that we inherited from my wife's aunt so I don't know much about the maintenance history of the car. The car rides great and the seats are very comfortable to my back. Can anyone also tell me what the horsepower rating is for the 3.1 liter V6 in the 1996 model year? Thanks!
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Has anyone experienced problems with the power windows in the current generation Buick Century? My parents own a 98 Century w/38K miles on it, and they are having problems with the power windows rolling down, but not coming back up. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes for them to start working again, sometimes hours, one time it took 5 days.

Anyone know a solution for this?

I have a 99 Olds Intrigue that has had the same intermitent problem before, but it hasn't happened for at least a 3-4 months.
  • p41457p41457 Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone suggest a place for past pricing info? My mother passed away & for taxes I need to
    know the PAST value of her 1998 Buick Century 4 door custom sedan (condition is clean) with 33,000
    miles, back on the date of November 6, 2000.
    I would appreciate any help at all.
    thank you
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    You might check with your local libraries to see if they keep old issues of the NADA automotive value books.

If you are not familiar with them, it is a small golden booklet that comes out monthly and is also regional. It is the "blue book", for lack of a better term, that every bank I've ever dealt with has used to determine the value of an auto. NADA is also online, at http://www2.nadaguides.com/ ,you might see if you can get any information from them.

Good luck!
  • lormarlormar Member Posts: 3
    My 70 something parents have always driven Ford Crown Vic's but need to downsize and economize. We aren't too sure about a Taurus but have been looking at possibly a '99 Buick Century; for the price. Any thoughts or comments? Reliable? Comfortable for long trips?
  • brucec3brucec3 Member Posts: 1
    I rented a 2001 Buick Century and drove it the 140-mile round trip between Tulsa and Stillwater OK on the 75mph Cimerron Turnpike. It’s been a while since I have driven a mid-size GM. I could not believe the amount of bump-steer this vehicle exhibited. For those who have never heard of this phenomena, bump-steer is the tendency of a car to change direction after encountering any bump in the road that causes the suspension to deflect. Typically, it occurs because the car frame itself is temporarily twisted or deflected by the forces encountered in the road bump or dip. This deflection points the wheels in a new direction and the car takes off on a new course. You must immediately correct with steering wheel input to keep the car on the desired track.

The problem with bump-steer is that it is tremendously fatiguing. It requires much more effort, concentration and work to keep the car between the white lines. The higher the speed, the more effort. On long trips, it will wear you down and make you much less effective and safe driver. On my 140-mile trip I found myself exhausted with all the effort I had to use to keep the car on track at 75mph. If you have never driven a car without bump steer, then this all seems normal, but believe me, there is a much better driving experience out there folks. All American cars used to exhibit some amount of bump-steer, but as auto makers improved the stiffness of car bodies, many of today’s American cars are much better in this regard. When you hear a manufacturer say something like “greater rigidity” or “greater frame integrity”, they are referring to the bump-steer problem. So it came as a great surprise to drive the Buick Century which exhibited the most bump-steer I have ever encountered. Even the large cars of the ‘70’s and ‘80’s didn’t have this much bump-steer, maybe because they were made with full steel frame.

To test your car for bump-steer, just try holding the steering wheel perfectly steady on a straight road when encountering dips or mild bumps and see if it maintains the original track before and after the dip. Of course if the crown or grade of the road changes, the car will tend to follow the new “fall line”, requiring a new hold on the steering wheel, but modern cars should not change direction when encountering mild bumps.

This bump-steer phenomena is so pervasive that most drivers are unaware of it. As they drive down the road, they are constantly making small steering wheel adjustments to maintain track with out thinking about it. When put into a car with very low or no bump-steer, they continue with this steering wheel adjustment each time they feel the car dip. This starts rocking their passengers back and forth unnecessarily and can even cause carsickness. They are totally unaware they are doing it. It took me a year to break my wife of the habit when we started owning well-engineered cars that exhibited no bump-steer. Our driving conversations would go something like this; “Why did you just move the steering wheel honey? Okay, now at this next bump, try holding the steering wheel perfectly steady and see what happens. There see, the car is still going straight, so you don’t need to move the wheel each time you feel a bump.” That was the nice approach. After a while it would sometimes go like this; “Would you please stop rocking the G.D. steering wheel or let me drive, your making me sick!” Once you have some miles in a car with out the bump-steer, and learn not to rock that steering wheel, you will suddenly find that you can drive much further with out feeling tired. You will never again accept a car with any bump-steer. If you have never experienced it, then you simply don’t know any better and GM can continue to dump flawed cars on an unsophisticated public.

Anyone considering a new Buick Century or one of its similar cousins should seriously think again if they plan to use it for long trips. You will not be happy unless you rarely drive more than 45mph. It’s unbelievable to me that General Motors would be producing new cars with this much bump-steer. But, most of the customers don’t know any better, they are use to it, and have never driven a car without excessive bump-steer. You see them every day weaving back and forth and drifting out of their lanes when slightly distracted. I hope that by making a few of you aware of the problem it will start to bug you enough not spend your hard-earned money on this junk put out by GM. Quality in design and engineering does not have to equal higher prices for production and sale.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    "Anyone considering a new Buick Century or one of its similar cousins should seriously think again if they plan to use it for long trips. You will not be happy unless you rarely drive more than 45mph. It’s unbelievable to me that General Motors would be producing new cars with this much bump-steer."

Well, I own a 2001 Chevy Impala LS (W-Body cousing to the Regal/Century) and the car is an absolute pleasure to drive in the highway, even at 110MPH...just point and shoot, plus at high speeds it feels like it is on rails.

I think it is a blanket statement to say that all GM midsize cars do have a built in problem of Bumper Steer based on a test drive of a RENTED Buick Century. I think the problem you encountered with that car was on that car alone (Perhaps it has frame damage or some other related suspension/front end damage), but I can assure you that in my W-body experiences, I have never encountered the Bumper Steer condition you are referring to.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but GM midsize sedans do not exhibit this condition contrary to what you claim. I will suggest for you to test drive a new GM Midsize sedan, whether it is Impala, Grand Prix, Regal or Intrigue and you won't experience the Bumper Steer condition on those cars, at all.

Finally if you are implying that GM buyers/owners are a bunch of retarded, unrefined people that don't know any better, again you are wrong. I think you are trying way too hard to prove your points while pushing your agenda of "Look how sophisticated I am, I only drive Mercedes Benz while you lowly idiots drive GMs). So spare your insulting, deceiving and ellitist comments with your MB buddies. While your explanation of what Bumper steer is appreciated, your side, flamming comments are not.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I was very interested in reading about the Bump Steer. Indeed, I will monitor my driving habits to see if I am one of the mind-numbed.

I remember this condition with old cars I used to drive, but don't seem to notice it in my recent cars. I have driven a century on long trips and thought it to be an exceptional car. Unlike my German co-workers, I prefer a large car ride for long trips. To me, soft and quiet is the definition of luxury. To boot, the century has good power and great fuel economy.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I have a 2000 Buick Regal. Practically the same body as Century.

Made several longer trips from my home in South-Central Connecticut, including:

- To Rochester and Niagara Falls, NY, about 400-450 miles each way. Three days trip: Friday evening to Rochester, Saturday in Niagara Falls, Sunday back to home.

- To White Mountains in NH. Pleasure trips, optimized for sightseeing, not the shortest distance. First day I-91 through CT, MA, VT, than rural NH roads through Dartmouth College, route 118 across the Western White Mountains, and I-93 to North. One day driving around White Mountains, including Mount Washington, and return by route 112 and I-93 to North. The last day by I-93 across White Mountains to South, than across the Lake Region of NH to the border of Maine, by NH state highways along the border to the South, by I-95 across the NH shoreline to MA, I-495 to I-90, I-90, I-84, I-91 to home.

- A one-day trip to Cape Cod, MA - to a sand beach somewhere after Truro. This is about 250 miles each way through Newport, RI. Returned the same evening, get home deep in night.

I do not know, if my car does not manifest the "bump steering", or if its comfortable seats and smouth ride are compensating the problem, but I was not tired substantially by driving the distances.
    I have a dilemma...I love the ride of the century and feel it is definitely the quietest car in it's price range. However, I'm not all that taken with it's interior appearance. In addition, it has that senior citizen reputation. I have driven a 2002 and was impressed with the engine, despite what people say about it's old design. Any younger century owners out there?(I'm 34)
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I am 30 and own a 2001 Impala LS with the 3800 Series II Engine.

If you like the Buicks, take a look at the Buick Regal GS with the 240HP Supercharged 3800 V6 engine. It is the ultimate ARRP mobile that can take a few MB's and BMW's by surprise at the stoplights..
  • hounddog3hounddog3 Member Posts: 15
    That was quite a long rendition of pure garbage. The poor buick was probably maintained like a lot of rentals are. The problem sounds like improper tire inflation and, or, alignment problem. I too have had some bad experiences with improperly maintained rental cars. But I tried not to blame the manufacturer for the maintenance problems.

I do not drive a Century but have driven them as rentals and was a very smooth and pleasant ride in all cases.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I have to agree with houndog3. Sounds like Brucec3 has other motives for his post. Although I am a happy owner of a Regal GS, on various business trips I've rented Bonnevilles, Centurys and Impalas; driving them round trip from Denver to Casper, WY. For rentals, all three cars have been great. The Century being the easiest to drive crusing up and down I-25 while the Bonneville demanding a bit more attention due to its size. But the ride and handling was as expected: A highway cruiser happy going 70+ MPH.

Needless to say I have experienced no such bump steer issues in my Regal GS after a pleasurable 16,500 miles. If I have one issue with my car, its that I can punch the throttle half way as I sneak into traffic and still get mild tire spin with traction control turned on. Talk about gobbles of torque!!
  • tomodelltomodell Member Posts: 9
    I love my 2001 Buick Century, and it is running great. There is just this one little noise that is starting to irritate me. This noise would probably not be noticable on most cars. The Buick Century's interior is normally so quiet, that you hear things that you wouldn't on noisier cars.
    If any body knows what the noise is I would appreciat some advice. Here is the description:

Noise: A high pitched whine.

Where: Emanates from the entire body of the car. From outside the vehicle, you have to put your ear on the body to hear it. From inside it can be heard throughout the interior, coming from no particular direction. It does not appear to be coming from the engine compartment.

When: This part is tricky. It has nothing to do with the engine speed, you can accelerate and not notice any difference. It only occurs when the vehicle has stopped moving, like when stopped for a red light. However, when you first start the engine and listen before the vehicle has gone anywhere, the sound is not there. You must travel a few yards, and then stop, before the noise starts. Also, after the noise has started (after stopping the vehicle), you can turn off the engine, and then restart it and the noise will be gone - until you move forward and come to a stop again.

I would appreciate any help. I don't think the service people can help me unless I can tell them where it is coming from.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    Just an idea look around the power brake booster for a vacuum leak.

I am probably 20 feet in the ditch !!! but since there is no noise when you start the car(booster empty)brake not activated, and that you have noise when the booster is operational and in use...

The booster is bolted to the firewall, so this is maybe why you can hear the noise through the body and inside the car...

Good luck...
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    A couple more possibilities...

Are your belts torqued correctly? Does the noise occur when the a/c is on...off?
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    Am looking at both of these. Price is about one thousand difference. Both have the micron air filtration system, and that is important. Has anyone any comments about either the cars or the air filtration system..thanks
    Man, that is a tough choice. Some people have a hangup about the century being for old people, but I'm not one of them (I'm 34). I was also torn between the two. Both are great cars. I prefer the ride of the century, but the Impala has a younger look and more room.

I don't know much about the Air Filtration. Both cars have great reliability and performance. I love the way the century doors have that solid feel when you shut them. Century will be gone soon, if that matters to you.
  • artwisartwis Member Posts: 66
    I just went through the same process. I would have liked the Impala LS but knew my wife wouldn't like the firmer ride and she really didn't like the looks of it.. I really didn't consider the base Impala. Well anyway we bought a century last week but aren't taking delivery till 2/22 when we turn the wifes leased venture in. The Century we bought was the custom with the special edition package and the upo radio option so we could have the cd player. MSRP is $22,347. Price after discount off msrp and $2002 rebate was $18640.
    We bought a 95 Lumina LS in 1995 with pretty much the same chassis, motor etc. and it was a good car and have heard the Century is even better and has 15 more hp. The Lumina had the filtration system and to tell the truth we didn't notice that it did much filtering but then we have the windows down quite a bit.
    One other thing I just remembered. The Impala has some reliability issues with brakes, engine cradle and steering shaft that also played a part in us choosing the Century over the Impala.
    Good luck whichever you choose.
    Art
    I hadn't heard anything about the Century model being discontinued. I know it sold 142K last year while the Regal was alot lower, and the Regal has never really took off, so I only heard that the Regal was going to be the one to go, given that they are both mid-size cars. Any info on this??
    I have read this in a couple of posts but I've also read that the century will be revamped in 2004. With annual sales over 140k I don't think it would be a wise move on GM's part to drop it.
    Art
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    When the Regal is redesigned for 2004, the Century will be discontinued. The Regal will continue to use the W body platform, but the car will be restyled.
    Where did you read this? Seems like they would drop the Regal instead as the Century has more sales. Maybe they will have a lower priced Regal to take the century spot! Interesting!Have to wait to see what actually happens.
    Art
    Many web sites have stated the Regal will continue and the Century will be dropped. Check the future products section of automotivenews.com.

My opinion is that the Century should stay and the Regal should go. Let Pontiac have GM's sporty mid sized car with the Grand Prix, and let Buick have the conservative mid sized car with the Century. However, all of the information I have read says that Century will be dropped.
    I agree, keep the century. SUpposedly, GM will offer a less expensive model regal to take century's place, but I think that is stupid.

Some people like the century, not just because is costs a bit less than the regal, but for it's different styling. (softer suspension, more chrome, etc.)

However, maybe the restyled Regal will be more appealing.
    I consider the current Century to be practically just another trim of Regal. Or, rather, Regal to be just another trim of Century: after all, Century outsells Regal 2:1.

Hardly anybody can distinguish these cars from 100 yards under less than perfect lighting, e.g. when it snow / rain, not to mention in night time. 90% of people cannot tell one from another from 10 feet. "Another retiromobil", think them, and are trying to pass GS uphill...

In the Pontiac Grand Prix line, the low trim SE is practically the same car as Century, while the GT and GTP are more like Regal. Different trims of Chevy Impala have as different suspensions as Century and Regal, and also have different seats (bench for base, and bucket for LS).
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I think its a good idea to axe the Century. Think about it. What does the word Century mean and bring up images of? It means 100 and the Century has always been viewed as a car driven by people nearing the end of their lives. Buick is trying to get away from their geriatric persona and trying to get some younger folks into the fold. They are also trying to fill some of the void left by Oldsmobile. The Lesabre pretty much does exactly what the Century does but with more power and room, so why have 2 old people's cars? The Regal has always been a better looking car and used to be a larger, more upscale car. My guess is Buick wants to continue with the more upscale image of the Regal and just make 2 different trim levels. One will ride like the current Century and maybe continue to offer a bench seat, while the other will have sportier handling, bucket seats, and more power. It saves GM money by not having to market 2 completely different names. I see the logic in this decision. Anyone else see it the same way?
    You wrote: The Lesabre pretty much does exactly what the Century does but with more power and room, so why have 2 old people's cars?

well, not all people have the same income, even after retirement. Depending on trim and options, Le Sabre probably costs $2000 to $5000 more than Century.

I am 50, and my wife, who is mostly using our Regal, is 40. Our son is 11. Not exactly "old people". However, we like the soft seats of the car and the comfortable ride as much as its fast acceleration.

It is hard to forecast what GM will do; however I'd expect them to offer 3 trims of the future Regal, not two. They can easily fold the current 2 trims of Century plus 2 trims of Regal into the three trims with options. As they are doing currently with Pontiac Gran Prix.

The Regal has always been a better looking car

Well, it depends on personal taste only. Better not discussing it. No hard data to prove one point or another, and very easy to offend somebody.
  • tr3tr3 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 1999 Buick Century and am interested in putting some custom wheels on the car. Anyone have any suggestions or pictures they would like to share. Thanks
    You can find a picture of the 2004 Regal here - http://popularmechanics.com/cgi-bin/spy.pl?cat=det

I don't like it, and supposedly Lutz has sent it back for styling changes. I have seen this picture in other magazines and web sites, so I am sure it is accurate.

I will say that a lot of information on this web site is inaccurate. That is not a picture of the 2004 Grand Prix, and there is no indication that Lincoln will develop a V-12 despite the Continental concept car.

Regarding "Buick is trying to get away from their geriatric persona and trying to get some younger folks into the fold"

That statement makes sense as a purpose, but for what goal? To sell cars? That's where it doesn't make sense. The Century vastly outsells the Regal, so why eliminate it. In addition, the market the Century succeeds with is the fastest growing segment. The Century sells for about $4,000 less than a comparably equipped Lesabre.

There is nothing wrong with targeting a younger market, which the Regal does, albeit with lackluster sales. What they need to do is reinvent the Regal to make it sell more and leave the Century alone.
    The logic would appear to be to keep the Century. If it is an older person's car, then it is the car of choice as it sells twice as many as Regal. Since the older population controls a good percentage of the nation's wealth, why eliminate the golden goose. As to that poster who said it was bought by people who are nearing the end of their lives, I've never quite heard such an inane statement, unless it was God who was posting.
    According to the article, GM may save the Century name, or rename it to a less expensive trim of Regal, but the body will be the same for REgal and Century. Make sense.

Current Century and Regal are very close in design, but the Regal body is couple inch longer. Would they share the same body, the manufacturing costs would be lower (the single set of sheet metal presses, etc.). And the extra sheet metal itself costs next to nothing, probably $20 or so...

To the best of my understanding, only the name will be dropped, if dropped at all. Practically the same car as the current Century will be available, and for practically the same price, subject the once in 6-7 years model update and inflation.

Who would object, if the car will bear more prestigeous name "Regal"? Probably some buyers of the more expensive trims could snob, but the buyers of the base model?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    What is the big deal if the Century is gone in name only? A lower trim version of the Regal would work just fine and makes perfect sense to GM as far as saving marketing costs. My point with the comment about who drives the Century is that these people are mostly from a different generation, who value different things. That generation is quickly fading away and the baby boomers are getting older. Baby boomers, in general, like a little more style and performance with their rides then the last generation, who put floaty ride, 6 passenger seating (no matter how cramped that center front spot is), and chrome trim above anything else. The Regal fits in with the baby boomers better then the Century and that's what Buick needs to start preparing for, while the Lesabre can continue to grab the sales of the more tradional buyers. Let's be realistic. I am from Palm Beach County, Fl, the spot to be for old people. And what do you see most of them driving? Those who can't afford the Caddies and Lincolns flock to the Century. Anywho, as for my opinion about Regal's styling being better, I was more referring to the before 97 era. I prefer the looks of the current Regal over the Century (in fact, I feel it is one of the nicest looking cars from GM), but they are rather similar. Before 97, the Regal was a bigger and classier car then the Century, and I would venture to say no one would prefer the styling of that older Century over the older Regal. Buick would only be smart to continue on with that higher class image. Just my .02 from a young whippersnapper :) My mom sure won't miss the Century. That name is what drove her away from American cars permanently.
  • johnlwjohnlw Member Posts: 28
    I just took ownership of a brand new Buick Century, sadly under the worst circumstances--I inherited it from a dear relative who died before he made the first payment. He did get to drive it and show it off for a few weeks, though, he loved that car!

Anyway, while I was not in the market for a car, (we have three already) I find I like the Century. It sure has pick-up! While it is a small six, the 3.1 feels strong. I have to watch myself driving it, I go too fast.

My only complaint is that it doesn't look like there is a lot of back seat leg room, but heck, I won't be sitting back there anyway!

Anything important for me to know about this car from you all? I have been putting regular gas in it, 87 octane. Is that okay? I will be catching up on this string as time goes by, and listening to everyone's advice.
    May I present my condolences.

87 octane is fine. The same engine as in my Malibu.

Some of these engines develop a coolant leak from the intake manifold gasket. Something like 10% or so. A small leak, but not good, especially if the coolant gets inside the engine. Watch for the coolant level: if you need to top it up with every oil change, probably there is a leak.

Also, ask for a pressure test of the coolant system toward to the end of manufacturer waranty. The test costs about $20, while changing the gasket cost about $550. So it is better not to miss the end of the 36/36 warranty. By the way, GM recommends, in the car manual, to perform the test as often as yearly.
  • johnlwjohnlw Member Posts: 28
    I will watch that. I smelled an odor when I used the air conditioner yesterday. It was the first use for it. The odor was like antifreeze, so I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Is this something the dealers know about and can handle easily under warranty, or is it a pain in the oilpah?

What kind of mileage do you get? I got about 22 mpg's on the first three tanks.

I will tell you what, I like the engine, I had it up to 100 briefly today, in a safe spot, just to see what it would do. The rpm's weren't all that high.
    Well, I do not think that the practically new car already have the leak. It is developing with time, something like after couple years in service or longer.

If I remember it right, the engine itself and the intake manifold are made from different metals, steel and an aluminum alloy. Different thermal expansion stresses the gasket and gradually makes it to leak.

It happens not with all engines, nor with every second, but not so seldom. I believe, 10-15% are developing the leak sooner or later. The 2.8l V-6 engine widely used by GM in 80-ths had the same basic design, and the new 3.4l engine, and all of them were / are prone to the leak. All auto mechanics must know it rather well.

As to mileage, well, my Malibu is smaller and lighter than your Century.

In my experience, something like up to 31 mph on highway in near ideal driving conditions.

However, much less in city. I never measured, because do not like the results I am expecting. Probably between 10 and 15 mph. I am spending about twice more gas than my wife on commuting (we work together). I have a lead foot, plus I am accelerating hard from light to light - just for pleasure...
    Hey, you guys are scaring me away with your talk of coolant leaks. I've been scoping out 2001 Centurys, most coming off one year leases with mileage in the teens. Prices about $14900. Went on Autotrader and searched in a 200 mile radius and found 253 2001 Buick Centurys for sale. I'm told that dealers buy these at auctions, most from Florida, and most in service for a year. Warranty still there for 2 years more, but now I'm concerned about this coolant leak. There are many options for me to take in a car search, so I'd rather eliminate possible problems beforehand. Comments/thoughts/advice Please.
    I would not be scared about the Century. I have a few friends, as well as many fellow church goers that have Century's that have been trouble free. I am a fan of the car, and almost bought one last month (before you stereotype me, I am 34).

I asked all of the owners I could find and not one had a problem (one lady had a service light on, but didn't know why) I prefer to buy new...to me used cars are another world. I like knowing how the car was cared for, plus the factory warranty for insurance, since I keep my cars for awhile.

That century ride really pampers you...good luck picking one!
    $14,900 doesn't sound too bad for a used 2001 standard Century custom but we just bought a new 2002 with the special edition package and the UPO radio update for $18640 plus TTL (that's $1705 off msrp + $2002 rebate). The year old car is probably a rental and if you can do it I'd go with a new one. If you buy a year old one why not buy an extended warranty to ease your mind about the cost of future repairs? There are GM dealers on the web which sell extended warranties at discount.
    Art
    Why scare? Just inform.

The GM V-6 engines are some of the best: very good low-end torque (pushrod design), reliable, and proven: in one form or another they are in production for tens years. Most of bugs were eliminated years ago. The engine uses the chain, not a belt, and chains do not need the expensive service every 60k miles or so.

On a flip side, a fair share of the engines may develop the leak. But at least it is a well known problem. Every mechanic worth his salt will diagnose it easy and fix reasonable fast. You also will know what to look for. Furthermore, this leak is not a kind of catastrophic failure: if it developing, it is developing slow, and you have months, even years to fix it when it is more convenient.

Yes, a buyer of Century and other cars sharing the 3.1l engine and its 3.4l sister (Malibu, some trims of Alero, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Impala, Monte Carlo, the new Actek / Randevoux, and several minivans) have a chance to spend $550 on the leak repair after warranty will expire. I'd say, 10-15% chance. So what?

Car repairs is the way of life. All cars have one problem or another. Plus the specific problem is only mildly important. Not something like head gasket blowing up. You definitely will pay several times more for gas, oil, insurance, property taxes. Add to this brake service, new tires, transmission service, coolant service...
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    jpelder and yurakm are correct about the Century and the V6 engines. I wouldn't let them dissuade you from buying the vehicle esp. if you enjoy driving the car. I also own a Malibu and love the engine. I knew about the leaks before i bought it but I also looked at how they improved th eMalibu from the 1997 model year until now and it improve reliability wise each year. The Century has always been a reliable car. If oyu like the ride and handling, buy it. You can get some sweet deals on them right now.
    Thanks for your advice on Century/coolant leaks. I did price a new Custom with just cruise control the only option for a price of $17,986. That included the rebate. But I'm an old retired guy (just right for a Century) and 3 grand eases my budget buying the one year old leaser. I'm going from a pick-up truck to the Buick to soothe my old bones. One I'm looking at now has 10K miles and went into service April 2001. That gives me over 2 years of warranty and 26K miles for $14,900. Got a Carfax report; is a lease from Florida, sold at auction to Buick Dealer, as most of them seem to be. Everything else clean.
    We had a 1995 Lumina LS with the 3.1 and no leak. Also 1999 Venture with 3.4 engine which had the leak at 12k but never put a drop on the floor. They caught it when changing the oil etc. Fixed under factory warranty. Just had the intake manifold gasket start leaking on my 1997 Silverado with 5.7 liter engine at 55k. It would leak 3 drops overnight when it was really cold out. Paid for by extended warranty. Did it turn me off on GM? No way! As I posted above we just purchased a new Century. As you look through the forums here notice that Buick Centuries have very few posts about problems compared to other vehicles. The reliability of the 3.1 engine is hard to beat. Just take care of them with regular maintenance. As yurakm said if you do get the leak it's not catastrophic. It probably won't happen and IF it does its not really that large an expense to fix when you can figure not much else will probably ever go wrong with that 3.1 engine
    Art
    Only 10k miles and 10 months old, BUY IT! Sounds like a good deal to me!
    Art
    If it helps. Since I have allergies, I figured this car would fit the bill, since I like it, the price is right and the air filtration system might help allergies. I see the replacement filter for the cabin filter is about 50 bucks so it should be a quality set up. According to Buick it should filter out pollen and road dust. Any thoughts on this?
    We had one on the 95 Lumina but don't think we ever changed it. Should help some for those who have allergies. The darn things are awful expensive though. I have a huge micron filter on our furnace and it only costs $25. We're not taking delivery on our Century til next week but I'll look then to see how hard it is to change. Maybe someplace like www.gmpartsdirect.com may have them cheaper.
    Art