Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Century

14567810»

Comments

• cet1stcet1st Member Posts: 17
    Due to discoloration outside and moisture inside the headlight covers (right & left), they need to be replaced. How do you remove the 2005 buick century headlight covers for replacement? :confuse:
  • chowbuickchowbuick Member Posts: 13
    hello folk just a great praise to general motors i have a1994 buick century custom and i love this car it is great ans very faithful and loyal i give it more tlc and @224000 miles runs and performs like new i will NEVER GET RID OF IT gm screwed up when they discontiued the century i own i 1998 plymouth voyager aslso and a 1992 dodge caravan the caravan with 211000 is far better than the voyager and alot easier to work
    I LOVE BUICKS THEY ARE EXCELLENT
  • superbuicksuperbuick Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1999 Buick Century Custom. I'm interested in swapping the Regal's 3.8l supercharged engine in it for the 3.1l already in it stock. Has anyone tried this or have any useful info for me??? Thanks
  • 02buick02buick Member Posts: 3
    Hey - Same problem. Did you ever get an answer?
  • sugarless62sugarless62 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used Buick. Buick had problems with head gaskets in the 1990's. Can anybody tell me in what year and make Buick did the problems occur?
    Was it the 3.1 or 3.8 six cyl, and in what year did Buick resolve the problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :confuse:
  • tom072tom072 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    :mad: I have a 2001 Buick Century. I was told by a buick dealer that I have a antifreeze leak due to a bad gasket somewhere that will cost me $1100.00 in the near future to fix. I have 55000 miles on the car and have owned it for almost ten years. This is
    the first problem to occur. Does anyone have any coments on this vehicle.
    Thanks, tom072
    edited March 2010
    Dear Tom072: We just went thru the same thing. It is a known Buick problem. Do some Web searching and you'll find lots of complaints. Unfortunately for us when this problem was fixed it introduced another problem. But that is another story. If I remember right, it is the special antifreeze they make you use in this car that caused the issue. There should have been a recall. We have a 2002, with 80,000 miles. Our problem started with the low coolent light coming on. My husband can provide more info. He posted a question to cartalk.com to see if anyone had answers. How did you make out? The price quoted is about the same we got. Think we paid $900.
  • buickfanaticbuickfanatic Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I read that the type of Anti-Freeze GM was using at the time was corrosive and caused the Intake Gaskets to fail, which lead to Anti-Freeze leaks.

Make sure you use Ethylene Glycol (Green) anti-freeze, and not Dexcool (Blue Anti-freeze)

Other than that I've had a Buick for close to 3 years, A 1994 Century Custom with a 3.1l v6. It rides smooth and I've never had a problem with it.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html
  • buickfanaticbuickfanatic Member Posts: 2
    The anti-freeze was corrosive and wore away intake gaskets.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html
  • madmuddermadmudder Member Posts: 4
    car started fine and drove about one mile and died, Waited about 30 min and it started back up, This time i hit the interstate and was running about 65 mph for about four min. and it died again, Since then the car will not start, I towed it home and change fuel filter, fuel, and crankshaft sensor and none of this did anything to help. Is there anyone out there who can help or have any ideas. It has a 3.3 v6 and its automatic. Thanks in advance.
  • cobrakai81cobrakai81 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Buick Century is revving really high when I start the engine. Then when I put the car in drive, the car just wants to go by its self, without me touch the gas peddle. If I shut the car off and restart it sometimes it drives normal. Other times I spend my commute on the brakes cause the car wants to increase speed without me touch the gas. I've changed the oil and add injection cleaner to the gas and nothing has changed. The car has 139,000 miles on it. Can someone please help? Why is this doing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Lucas :sick:
  • london_bridgelondon_bridge Member Posts: 1
    Mine failed at 32,000 miles. We all need to contact Buick Customer Care. Paying thousands for replacing parts they KNEW were defective borders on being criminal. They never recalled the car, but quietly changed the known defective part, when it should have been recalled. It's as though they're in the business of keeping their service departments in business with $1000 labor costs for each repair. I am so scared that something else will break that I'll be trading it in very soon..I think even a Kia might be more reliable. At least I won't be spending $26K for one.
    Agree about contacting Buick customer care but probably useless. Buick has known about this issue for years and have done nothing. And why are US cars in trouble?
  • supergenesupergene Member Posts: 2
    for me it was easy to change ,first you need to take off the belt the water pump is on the left side where the battery sit take the four bolts off the pully cover and there is three more on the water pump it self then pull it out don't for get to clean off the old gasket and put on a new one, it will be a new one in the box when you get it Good luck!
  • supergenesupergene Member Posts: 2
    can you give a little more info on your car it can be alot of things for, one is it fuel injected ,do you have a misfire was the check engine light flashing if so you may need to go to the dealer for repairs it may be your computer i,m just giving you the maybe in this problem intake manifold gasket could be leaking and giving you the misfiring is there any antifreeze leaking under the car
  • dbloyedbloye Member Posts: 3
    I need to establish for insurance purposes the cost of a 1996 Buick Century Custom when new.
    Can anyone out there help? Thanks
  • gabhanjacisagabhanjacisa Member Posts: 19
    2003 Buick Century: can anyone tell me what the lines are near the oil pan and transmission pan. They snake back and forth and run up near the transmission pan. Are they transmission lines, or power steering lines?
  • ouidajaouidaja Member Posts: 1
    95 buick century 3.1 4t60e tranny need location of rear tranny mount and how to remove it.
  • deborah24deborah24 Member Posts: 1
    Hello - Does anyone have this problem and know what is causing it and how to correct it.
    My 2003 buick century keeps getting water inside the tail lights. There aren't any cracks or anything obvious like that. Why is this happening and should I be concerned???
    Thanks for any advice, Deborah
  • daebyohdaebyoh Member Posts: 6
    The plastic behind the thin connector wires does not hold up well as the thin wires used as the lamp connectors heat up. The left signal and cornering light tend to stay on longer than the right while waiting to turn, so the plastic softens and the connector eases down into the plastic. I fixed mine by gently raising the wire and putting a small piece of metal tape behind it. The kind of metal tape used to seal ducts will work fine. Keep the piece small enough that it will not allow any chance of causing a short.
  • geckos2170geckos2170 Member Posts: 1
    I had that same problem, and it continues on and off. its the throttle sticking. I sprayed some lube on it and it worked good as new again.
  • tlon7tlon7 Member Posts: 7
    My 95 Buick Centry ran great; never had more than typical maintenance, but the repair costs now are more than the car's value. Does anyone have extra carfax credits or other car history report credits I can use so I don't have to pay the fee?

Thanks.

I'm going to assume the ride of the more recent models is as good as my old 95. It felt like I was coasting.
  • john575john575 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. I think the water was condensation rather than a leak. There are small vents covered with beigh rubber caps. I removed the caps for more ventilation. I also drilled a 1/4" hole into the bottom of the backup light chamber to allow more ventilation, and less of a difference in temperature between the inside of the bulb chambers, and the outside. So far, no sign of water. I needed a new backup light socket when all this was through. I got an OEM socket through RockAuto.com
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
  • beckystevensbeckystevens Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are getting ready to sell our 98 Buick Century before moving overseas. About 4 months ago the odometer/gear panel went out. Everything else, the speedometer, etc., is fine. For a few days it would appear briefly if I fiddled with the knob to dim the dash lights.

I called a dealer and he said he would have to replace the instrument panel at an estimated cost of $600. The car is in fair condition at best and this is hardly worth it. It doesn't seem right that the whole instrument panel would have to be replaced....

Anyway, it will be hard to sell the car without a working odometer, and it is too bad because the car only has about 120,000 miles.

Any advice??