Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• boilerpeteboilerpete Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the address. I'll give it a try before I roll over and buy a Buick LeSabre or Park Avenue that gives me the leg room but sure is less than stylish.
  • achillesachilles Member Posts: 8
    I had reserved an Intrepid but when I went to pick
    it up I found out that I had been upgraded to an
    LHS for the same price. I kept the car for two
    days and put 850 kms on it. On straightaways, up
    steep hills and curves, this car handled superbly.
    The sensation of getting into this car for the
    very first time is so pleasing, with its leather,
    comfortable seats, fine instrumentation panel and
    controls, cassette and CD player. I especially
    liked the night-time light blue color of the
    gauges. So easy on the eyes and so beautiful.
    The engine was smooth and always gave me plenty of
    response and acceleration when I pushed it. This car had 7874 kms when I picked it up. It was very solid on the road at all speeds and that fat leather covered steering wheel gave a reassuring feel of control at the helm. This car is made here in Canada and it is a great product. I wish I could afford to buy one -- I would it tomorrow blindfolded. Great interior, engine, handling...
    Good work Chrysler!
  • paco7paco7 Member Posts: 2
    The rear leg room in the Grand Marquis, according to Edmunds, is 38.4", not 42.5 , while the LHS is 41.6". Being 6' 2" tall, and having traded in my Marquis on an LHS, I can attest to the difference, I can set the drivers seat in my LHS to suit me and will still have room for someone of equal height to sit behind me, something that couldn't be done in the Marquis.

Forget the shoulder and hip room, like most cars,
    they only seat four adults comfortably.

My Marquis had the handling package, and while the engine was ok the overall handling and performance wasn't equal to the LHS, nor was the mileage.
  • yama1yzfyama1yzf Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a 300M in 9/99. I experienced a wheel shimmy that felt like a wheel balance problem right away at roughly 60-65mph.. Had the car back and forth to the dealer 5 times to no avail. Finally drove 3 more brand new 300's off the dealer lot. To my surprise, all had the same problem. I wanted to invoke lemon law but was told it had to be safety related or devalue the car to get my money back. Rather than go through that, I accepted a '99 LHS in 3/99. The car has the exact same problem although not as bad. Love the car except for this annoying problem. Has anyone else experienced wheel shimmy in an LHS or 300M? Again, it shows up worst about 60-65mph.
    I drove a couple of LHS vehicles on the road with no notice of any wheel vibration. My 1995 LHS doesn't have any either. Are you sure you aren't having a problem with a specific section of road?? Around Chicago several road sections were evidently built with a crew that was drunk as no matter what car I drive on it, the vibration is noticeable.
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Change those Goodyears,replace them by Michelin Pilots,you will feel the difference.
    All those Goodyears are defective,in fact you will see future Chrysler products with Michelins,no more Goodyears.
    Thanks for the response's....does the same thing over all types of pavement at that speed. The one thing they did not replace after repeated tries was the tires. They did put 4 rims and tires off of another brand new vehicle, but they were Goodyear LS's as well. The district rep here said the next step is to replace the tires with my choice, which will be the Michelin pilot's, and a full rebalance. This problem is present in every LHS/300M I drove (and I drove a lot of them) including a demo that had 5000 miles on it that I drove prior to purchase. I felt the problem even on the demo, but shrugged it off to a wheel balance problem. Ultimately I hope to resolve the problem, but it takes away from an otherwise fine car not to mention one which I am paying a pretty penny for. Hopefully someone will see this that had the same problem and got it resolved.
    If you get those Pilot Michelins,have them re-balanced after a brake in time,( you will have to drive them about 100 miles),and then have them balanced again,with a "PRO" shop like tire rack,you need to find a shop with a good balance machine.
    If you can´t have pilots,get Dunlops or BF Goodrich.
  • rainman488rainman488 Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 1995 LHS and had excellent performance
    with it. This prompted me to buy a 1999 LHS which
    I did in June of 1998. Unfortunately I had nothing but nagging problems and recently traded
    it in. The car was at the dealers more times than
    I care to mention, but I do have the documentation. The car never ran right and the
    dealers (2 of them) just shrugged. I had oil leaks and idling problems. Chrysler was no help and never did get to speak with anyone in authority. Not to be found. Too bad, I thought I was in for a treat. Since I did not hear from
    Chrysler, they will never again get my business.
    Back to GM.
    My dealer has actually been very helpful to the extent that they can be. I also have the district rep involved who seems to be a straight shooter. I am gonna give the tires a shot (why not, it's warranted) and if that doesn't work, I will have to take measures to give back the car and start over. It's really a shame because the car is a beauty.
  • rhb1rhb1 Member Posts: 3
    Have had my 99LHS since August have about 4,600 Miles on it and so far no problems. Average about 23 miles to a gallon, No wheel problems so far no lock problems. I love the acceleration it is a fun car to drive. Handles well and rides well also. I would recommend it to anyone. Of course I do understand concern about long term reliability and may yet purchase an extended warranty.
    Copperhead, did they say what problem the defective tires were causing? I'm being given the choice of tire I want to put on the car, but if Goodyear has fixed the LS's, then I would probably stick with those. The other question is what was the problem with yours that goodyear is replacing them?
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    My very new, produced in December 1999, 2000 LHS is equipped with Goodyear tires and so far they are fine. I have driven the car only 350 miles with short sprints to 70 mph; the wheels and tires seem to be in perfect ballance. Hopefully they will stay that way.
    Chrysler solved the undercarrage rust problem I had on the new 1999 LHS that I bought last month. A few days after the area rep. inspected the car I exchanged it for a new 2000 LHS. The 1999 was produced in March of 1999 and was subject to a salt bath somewhere from the production line to the dealer's lot (not near salt water). The 1999 also had Goodyear tires that could not be ballanced.
    Get those michelins pilot "sport",forget about goodyears.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Anyone interested in seeing the future Charger? Just put this together. Great looking car!
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/charger.html

fastdriver
  • rbeeberbeebe Member Posts: 3
    My '99 LHS emits an annoying wind noise coming from the front driver's window near the speaker area. Anyone else notice the same? If so, a suggestion for fix please.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    rbeebe-

Bring this to your dealer and ask them to look up the ENTIRE TSB on their computer-

Service Bulletin Number: 23-30-98
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 235
    Date of Bulletin: 9807
    NHTSA Item Number: SB602332
    Make: CHRYSLER
    Model: LHS
    Year: 1999
    Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
    Summary: WIND NOISE HEARD FROM THE B-PILLAR FORWARD IN THE VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING AT
    HIGHWAY SPEEDS ABOVE 55 MPH OR AT LOWER SPEEDS DRIVING INTO A HEADWIND. *YC

This might be a solution for you. The important info above is the Service Bulletin Number and the Component description.

fastdriver
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I have, too, on 'Y2K LHS delivered on 10/1, but haven't yet taken it to dealer for fix. Thanks Fastdriver for the TSB information.
  • jeffc1jeffc1 Member Posts: 29
    Based on the poor crash test results and Daimler-Chrysler's typical corporate response. Since I bought this car with the idea of it being a safe car, I decided to get rid of the LHS while the getting was good (or as good as it gets). A '99 with $17000 miles was down to a $20,000 wholesale price. My Chrysler dealer told me that I should be able to get $23000 for it as it was in great condition. I offered it to him for $21,000 and they weren't interested (surprise surprise). My family's safety was worth whatever I lost in the deal. My lost business to my local Chrysler dealer probably is no big deal to him.
  • kl134cpkl134cp Member Posts: 1
    Tomorrow me and the wife are going to the chrysler dealer to test drive and maybe buy a 2000 LHS. I dont really know alot about the car other than i like the looks. The dealer is offering me the base model with the full size spare for $27,185 it's pretty loaded for a base car. I am a Lincoln/Mercury technician and i do get advantages by buying our product as I can warrenty anything i want well past the "official" warrenty is over, but i dont really like anything we are putting out there. If anyone can help me with any info on this car if its the worst or the best would be greatly appreciated
    What crash test results are you talking about??
    I find it difficult to believe that you would fire sale a car like this based on some government study given the reliability of government testing.
  • 8to58to5 Member Posts: 3
    A real nice value at around $1800 less than a 300m if you include the rebate that the 300M dose not have. 1500 miles on mine a fine car with no problems yet.
    All LHS are loaded,it is a sharp looking car,and maybe a better value than the 300M
  • no1trust1no1trust1 Member Posts: 17
    I just rented an lhs over the holiday weekend and had the same annoying vibration around 55-65 mph too, which detracted from the otherwise nice car. It didn't matter what the road surface was; I felt it smooth and coarse alike. I assumed it was a balance/alignment problem. I'm thinking of buying one now, but don't need a car with that annoying shimmy; anyone know if a tire change mentioned before will definitely solve the problem?
    Well, I've had my Y2K LHS since Oct. 1, which I calculate is about 16 weeks, and have about 5300 miles, but I've been away for three of those weeks, so I'm averaging roughly 400 miles per week. So far the car's been great. With one exception, I've experienced none of the complaints I've read about here and on the 300M topic, no shimmy, no steering pull, no shifting problems. Luxurious, responsive, peppy, handles well, everything works!! The one exception is wind noise. Since I'm deaf in one ear, I can't tell where it's coming from, but I think it's the left front (driver's) window. Haven't taken it back to the dealer yet (for the wind noise; I've had one oil change), so obviously I don't what will happen in that department. Of recent years I've driven a Continental, an STS and an Aurora, and the LHS is fully as good a car as any of them, at a much lower cost. Great value, IMHO. Since I'm leasing, I'm not much concerned about resale, and that could add to the relative cost compared to the other cars I've mentioned. Anyway, I'm a happy camper.
  • gadkins1gadkins1 Member Posts: 29
    I just came from my local Chrysler dealer. I had previously driven a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and was looking to drive a 2000 Concorde. The 2000 LHS caught my eye and I drove one. It's a beautiful Champagne Pearl Metallic with Camel leather interior. It has the moonroof, chrome wheels, and the Infinity II Spatial Imaging Sound System with the 4 cd in-dash changer. I happened upon this Town Hall and now I am concerned about the vibration problems. I now recall a slight "rough spot" or "vibration" that reminded me of the time one of the steel belts broke in one of my tires on a former car. The tire was rendered slightly "out-of-round" and caused a barely perceptible but annoying vibration. Is this similar to the problem experienced by others? Has a tire replacement cured the problem? I need help fast because I have a below dealer invoice deal on hold and with that 0.9% financing I dn't want to blow the deal by being overly cautious. Any thoughts? Should I forget the LHS and go back to the Dodge dealer and take another look at the Intrepid? Any help would be appreciated. God bless!
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    As a owner of a 2000 Intrepid (mine)possible owner of an LHS/300M (my wife's), I wouldn't encourage you to "throw the baby out with the bath water." In other topics this "shimmy issue" has seemed to become somewhat of an urban legend. That's not to say it doesn't happen--but when one topic member surveyed the group--it turned out that only 2 had experienced an actual problem.
    It seems to me that if you like the LHS you should either order one--or find one that has been built recently--and go with that. If there is a shimmy, it is clear that the problem lies with the tires. It is also clear that the dealers are aware of this and should help you address the issue. If you have concerns, please mention that to the sales manager going in and tell them you expect resolution if the problem appears on your car. If their response is unsatisfactory to you--then you might consider looking at the Intrepid..
    Best of luck..
  • fprincefprince Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 99 LHS for 19 months. I have not had any shimmy problems. Aside from the windows motor on the drivers side this has been a fine car. I also had the 94 LHS and with all the forum horror stories on that car you would think it was a mess. I loved that car. Sold it to a friend 19 months ago and we are still friends. He loves the car too. Had little trouble with it. I think proper maintenance and reasonable care has more to do with the quality of service you get from you car than most anything else.

Having said that the 99 LHS is a hugh improvement over the 94 LHS. All the features I wished were on the 94 are on the 99. For the dollar spent this is still a great buy.
    I might point out that since some people don't experience the shimmy, they don't really understand how annoying it is to have a near-$30k car with that distracting vibration... otherwise I love the car. I also rented mine from Dollar with the idea of a prolonged test drive; while it's not Lexus quiet it is quiet enough for me. I'll rent another over the next holiday weekend and see if they are the Goodyears, and I'll go with the suggestion of mentioning it to the dealer when I test theirs. I seriously doubt vibration is such a rare occurance that I just got so lucky I received a magic vibrator. But does anyone know for sure if that the tires are the problem and the solution? Thanks for any help.
    Thanks for the recent answer to my Edmund's Town Hall questions regarding my impending auto purchase. I'm still undecided as to whether to go with the LHS or the Intrepid. After years of loyalty to Ford products, I went to check out Dodge/Chrysler because of the 0.9% financing. I bought my wife a Grand Caravan two weeks ago and she loves it. Thanks also for shedding some light on the vibration issue. I test drove the LHS again tonight and there was no shimmy or vibration at any speed. I did ask the salesman and the service manager about the shimmy problem and they say they haven't had any customer complaints about any shimmy or vibration on the LHS. Perhaps it is an urban legend. Thanks for the info. God bless all of you and may your vehicle purchases be safe and satisfying!
    One must keep in mind that in order to make a sale, the truth on frequency of complaints just might be understated by some uncaring dealers... they may not own up to a problem until a recall is forced on them, for example. I can't speak for anyone else, but my complaint was firsthand quite real - I could see my hand vibrate on the wheel. I hope it's a simple fix... the car is appealing. I expect to rent again as I enjoyed the car that much in spite of that blemish.
    My 1999 LHS (produced in March 1999) was equipped with Goodyear tires. Vibration started at about 50 mph and continued to higher speeds making the car was very irritating to drive. The dealer informed me that the tires were out of tolerance and could not be balanced; they were exchanged for another set of Goodyear tires - no vibration so far. Too bad the buyer is not offered a choice of tires - I would have opted for the Michelins.
    NO1TRUST--So are you saying that you own an LHS/300M or that you've rented several? That clarification would help...

What I said was this...I have only heard "shimmy" stories from one or two consistent sources--one who seemed genuine and one whose story I consider dubious. When the 300M/LHS listserv that I belong to brought up the issue in the form of a survey--the clear majority had NO problems. Those that reported a shimmy were low--2 or so as I recall.. Tire changes and a fairly involved balancing seemed to correct the issue.
    I rented... I am considering the purchase or maybe lease because other than the vibration issue I found the car fun to drive. I just assumed at the time there was a balance problem... then I see other posts at Edmunds' upon checking out others' experiences that also complained of vibration. I don't intend to buy first only to find it's one of those phantom problems the dealer can't ever seem to correct. After reading other posts on DC's customer service I intend to use caution before I commit. DC's past reliability and customer satisfaction are not a strong selling point to me. Hopefully the problem is centered on the Goodyears; I like the looks inside and out of the LHS. Not Lexus quiet, but quiet enough for me, and other than that darn vibration the ride was enjoyable. I'll rent again, test drive at the dealer, and see what can be done if necessary and possible about the tires. Thanks all for the info.
    After much deliberation and perusing the various posts, I've decided to get the Intrepid instead of the LHS. Both cars have cutting edge styling. The interior layouts and specs are similar. The LHS ride is nicer but I don't consider it worth the extra $7K over the price of the Intrepid. The local Dodge dealer tells me I can order the RT and have it delivered in 4-8 weeks. Some are due to arrive at the dealership soon. I'll take one of these first ones if the color is right. The RT will have 242 horses and that's close enought to the LHS' 253 horses. I won't need the extra 11 horses unless I pay a weekend visit to the dragstrip (which won't happen; at least not since I am older now). Anyway, my brother-in-law owns a drag-race-ready Hemi Barracuda, which I can borrow if I want my head snapped back severely. The thing that finally sold me on the Intrepid is it's sportier styling compared to the LHS. I recently visited the North American Auto Show via an Edmund's link and I saw the Dodge NASCAR press conference where they unveiled the NASCAR Intrepid that Dodge will signal Dodge's return to NASCAR racing in the 2001 Daytona 500. I can hardly believe that I am so excited about owning this car, my first Dodge. My family members have been diehard Ford fans since the 1940s, but Dodge's styling, performance, economy (great EPA mileage estimates for such a roomy car), reliability improvements, and incredible financing incentives signal that it's time for me to break out of the family Ford mold. Thanks to you and the rest of the commenters for the valuable and timely information and suggestions. I learned a great deal from the posts here and the referrals to other sources of vehicle information. I'll maintain my new Intrepid promptly and properly and I have prayed for a good ownership experience (which God has the power to deliver under any circumstances). Thanks again and God bless you.
    Congratulations.. Seems to me it's always a relief when the searching ends and a decision is reached. I do hope you'll share your final choice with us--if you order the R/T, color, etc..
    I must confess that while I appreciated and could afford the 300M/LHS; I found it difficult to justify (FOR ME) the price differential. My wife is particularly interested in an LHS--and we'll likely select a late 2000 or early 2001 for her.
    Again, best wishes and kept us appraised..
    I FINALLY ROLLED OVER AND BOUGHT THE LHS I HAVE BEEN DEALING ON FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. SELECTED IT OVER THE BUICK LESABRE AND PARK AVENUE ON THE BASIS OF STYLING COLOR AND PRICE. MY WIFE AND I THOUGHT BUICK REALLY DIDN'T HAVE A COLOR THAT CAME CLOSE TO THE BEAUTY OF THE CHAMPAGNE PEARLMIST. TRADED IN OUR 95 LHS THAT WAS ALSO A GOOD CAR WITH VERY FEW PROBLEMS. THE NEW ONE HAS A SUN ROOF, 4CD SOUND SYSTEM, CHROME WHEELS, GOODYEAR TIRES, ETC. I'VE HAD IT ABOUT A WEEK AND NO SHIMMY, VIBRATION, OR ANY OTHER PROBLEMS. WIND NOISE IS IMPROVED FROM 95 LHS AS IS ROAD NOISE. NOT AS QUIET AS A PARK AVENUE BUT WHEN THE SUN ROOF IS CRACKED OR OPEN WHO CAN TELL?? SUGGEST DRIVING THE CAR BEFORE BUYING AND IF THE WIND NOISE OR WHEEL VIBRATION IS NOTICEABLE, MOVE ON TO A DIFFERENT VEHICLE OR DEALERSHIP WHICHEVER IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE THE CAR YOU LIKE. I SHOULD ADD THAT THE VEHICLE I BOUGHT WAS A DEMO DRIVEN BY THE OWNER'S WIFE. HAD 3400 MILES ON IT SO I WAS ABLE TO DEAL OVER SEVERAL MONTHS ON THE CAR.
    Goodyear KNOWS and ACCEPTS,those eagle LS tires are bad,ANY tire would better than those nasty badyears!!
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I have been Looking at LHS, Bonneville, Aurora, Impala, and even Tahoe. The DC dealer in my area is very motivated to move a few LHS's. For some reason, they don't sell well in my area. Anyway, here is the deal I can get if I so desire:

LHS with Chrome Wheels and Stereo upgrades - MSRP $29,800 Invoice $27,800 They are offering it at $27,600 (200 under invoice) with a lease payment of about $410 for 36 months.

How does this sound compared to what others have experienced? Thanks
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    Sounds like a great deal to me. Any down payment required - or trade in? What area are you in? I;m in Florida looking for a similar deal.

Have they quoted an interest rate on the lease and what's the residual? My experience is that DC cars lose lots of value after 3 years.

Deal still sounds real good, and I'm using your numbers next month as I go shopping for an LHS.

I looked at I-30, Acura TL, but the LHS is so much more car; why arent they selling?

Let us know what you do....

Rob
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    When was the last time you saw a commercial on TV for the LHS? I don't think DC has committed any resources to promoting the LHS.
    I'm not sure that we can say "LHS's aren't selling" with any degree of accuracy. The local dealers that my wife and I have looked at, including the combined Chrysler/Dodge dealer we visited, seem to move them quite well. And she's been "looking" for the better part of one year.
    I suspect that they may be moving "slowly" in some areas due to the season and the general yearn for an SUV at this time of year. Particularly here in the NE, where we're digging out from under 18" of snow..
    Just wanted to comment on this "urban Legend" stuff. The LHS is a great car.....but it does have a problem with wheel shimmy, as does the 300M. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I drove several of these cars off the lot for comparison purposes when I was going through my ordeal on the shimmy, and every car had the same problem. As a car enthusiast and a consumer, I consider this unacceptable. I have a set of Michelin Pilot HXM's waiting for me at my local dealership. Probably get them installed and balanced next week. They are a grand touring tire while the Goodyear LS is a standard touring tire. Trouble is, there are few if any standard touring tires in the LHS rim size. The only reason I mention this is the potential for increased road noise. I sure hope this cures my problem and i'll put up a post as soon as I get the swap done. While this is an annoying problem, I have never had any regrets about purchasing it. It is absolutely beautiful (in my eyes) to look at and has power, comfort and features galore.
    Get the Michelins SPORT.
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the info. I looked at the I-30; too bland. Pontiac SSEi - $32000!!!??? Still looking at the Maxima SE. Smaller than what I want, but a pretty car, and the value USUALLY holds up longer than US cars. But also - like deals on LHS - about a $28000 car.

I keep coming back to the great looks, size, engine, interior room, stereo, and looks (oh, I mentioned that)of the LHS.

Lots of previous posts - like yours - with GREAT deals on these "slow moving" cars. I like the bigger trunk - to carry 4 sets of golf clubs, the interior room, and the way the front end looks.

We arent getting the deals on interest rates they are in the northeast - or in your area. I'm waiting til the first of Feb. Hopefully, I can order one without those lousy Goodyear tires everyone speaks of. (I bought a Nissan Quest in June for my wife and guess what, it shimmies. Align and balance havent cured, and the dealer should make the bad Goodyear LS tires right).

Keep us up to date on what you decide and, if you dont mind, some of the details of your deal. You're making it easy for the rest of us slowpoke decision makers.

Good luck

Rob
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    is a performance suspension option exactly like the 300M. No, it would not be duplication and a waste of effort. Some of us may want the additional ten inches of truck space, and still have a car that handles. Just because the 300M is the shorther car, does not mean they cannot place a slightly stiffer suspension and better sway bars on the luxury version. IMHO.
    While I don't disagree with your point, I think it's a matter of merchandising. DC can't be all things to all car buyers. I got a Y2K LHS because I wanted the larger trunk opening and, to a lesser degree, the extra space, but I like the 300M sportier look better. However, large manufacturers of all products aim for specific markets, and I think DC is wise in targeting different segments with two somewhat different cars.
    As I mentioned before--When a member of the 300M/LHS group ran a survey, less than 5% of those polled(a total of 2, I believe)reported ANY problems with shimmy. I have not had any shimmy problems with my 2000 Intrepid, nor have those local owners and acquaintances that I know. That DOES NOT mean that no one ever has had problems--but I am highly dubious that it is widespread. It will be interesting to see if other cars, equipped with Eagle LS tires in that size, have such problems.
    After driving both the LHS and 300M, I find them more alike than different--that is without the PHP. Also remember that Car and Driver's LHS roadtest found their test car faster than a 300M and as good through the skidpad--again without the PHP. Clearly the PHP adds a level of handling difference between the two. I think my wife will end up leaning toward the LHS for it's looks despite preferring the the tidier dimensions of the 300M.
    The CHMBL in those cars !MELTS! in hot weather,at a recent visit to Vegas and Phoenix,I visited several dealers and ALL CONCORDES,and LHS had that problem.

The dealer´s answer was not many people notice that,but if they do,will call Chrysler for a approval to replace the part.

What happened to Chrysler?? they never tested a car in hot weather?
    How can a brake lamp (SAFETY!!) melt ???
    And how can a car Company install such a cheap product in a car,and forget that is a safety part??

HMMM!!