Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    Do they replace it with another that also melts under the same condition, or is there a permanent fix? Are new cars being built with the same defective brake light?
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Pepe--Were you watching the network television premiere of "Volcano" last night?.. Rouse yourself and repeat after me..."It was only a dream, it was only a dream"...
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    They will replace it with the same part #
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    The console readout in my very new LHS 2000 is indicating that I am achieving an average of 26 mpg. This figure represents a combination of city/highway driving with most of it being on the highway. The highway driving has been between 65 to 75 mph. I find this to be remarkable in a 3,564 lb vehicle equipped with a 253 hp engine that has hardly been broken in (1,500 miles).

Does anyone know how accurate the trip computer is?
    I have found the trip computer in my 2000 Intrepid to be generally accurate--when compared with my hand calculated MPG. A "heads up" however, the average MPG takes into account ALL miles traveled unless you reset it a regular intervals. I've found it to be within 2/10's to 6/10's of an MPG of my hand calculations.
    Incidentally, that is good mileage. My recent mileage has dropped to about 15.5--however that's completely "in-town", short trip, snow, and long idles to warm up.
  • kbwfromnykbwfromny Member Posts: 1
    Please advise - Need new car and thinking about buying LHS...Is this a good buy?
  • boilerpeteboilerpete Member Posts: 18
    I sure like mine. Had it about 3 weeks. Traded in a 95 LHS that was also a good car. Loaded with all the toys for 27,500 (includes a $1000 rebate).
    I think it's an excellent value, compared to other comparably equipped luxury cars. Mine is four months old, almost 7K miles and no problems, other than a wind noise that I haven't taken in to have "serviced" yet. Love the car, easily as good a car as the earlier Continental, Cadillac STS and Aurora I owned, in that order, and $5k to $15 cheaper, but, obviously, they were an earlier vintage. Just read about the new V6 and V8 Olds Auroras and they sound like they would be worth looking at, but the LHS V6 is smooth and powerful (253 hp), while you need the Aurora V8 to get 250 hp. My answer to your question is "Go for it."
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    My 2000 LHS has almost 2000 miles on it and it hasen't fallen apart yet. The one big problem that I have with the car is that I can't get it away from my wife to drive it.
  • jeffar2jeffar2 Member Posts: 5
    as I read these posts the most re-occurring theme is, "gee I love the car but"...the but is of course the issue of Chrysler reliability.... I owned a '99 300M and recently got rid of the car. As some have posted, the resale value is pathetic...within 1 year the car lost almost 8k-10k dollars in "real world" value...when I bought the car my intentions were to keep it for a very long time. I drive 30k+ miles per year... In the year I owned it I had 7 window motors replaced, the infamous vibration problem and cracks in the cheap door plastic after those motors were replaced... with this said, I will also say that parting with what I call the best looking 4 door car on the road was not that easy...however, for chrysler to put out a product with poor, fit and finish for 30k is unacceptable(I will never buy another chrysler product)...the bright spot in this whole situation believe it or not was the servicing dealer...in my case I was always handled expeditiously and professionally...
    With this said I write this so as to give fair warning to potential buyers of what is a beautiful line of cars albeit a very, very cheaply put together line of cars...fit and finish worthy of a Yugo (a note: put together not in the USA, But in Canada)... I decided to go back to the Japanese cars and bought a Maxima...this car although not anywhere as visceral as the 300M/LHS...has a reputation for great reliability...at the end of the day you still have to live with a beautiful women even if she is a [non-permissible content removed]...with that said, give me an average looking women with a heart of gold...Good luck to all! This post is only to intended to possibly alleviate or eliminate potential "car heartache and grief "...I wanted to LOVE my chrysler, but the poor quality eventually took its toll on me....happy and safe motoring and caveat emptor
    While it is unfortunate that you supposedly had such a "poor" experience. It is clear now from a variety of sources that your experience is not "typical" of the breed. Although you couch it in wonderfully sexist by colorful metaphors--the data (both qualitative and quantitative) suggests that this generation of LH-based sedans are, at least, as reliable as their domestic peers--and are not "cheaply constructed"..
  • jeffc1jeffc1 Member Posts: 29
    While I had no major problems with my '99 LHS, the market does not seem to agree with your assessment of "this generation of LH-based sedans are, at least,as reliable as their domestic peers--and are not "cheaply constructed".." the LHS. Resale values are horrible. Even my friendly Chrysler dealer could not/would not show any interest in a low mileage mint LHS (said he couldn't sell the new ones why would he want a used one).
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Whats the problem with being built in Canada?

They adhere to more standards and guidelines than the US built ones do.
    the Canada reference is to point out that this is not an "american" made car...I will give you the benefit that this is a chrysler quality control issue, not a Canadian labor issue...I will presume if this car was made in Japan for instance, it would still suffer the poor workmanship it has...sorry, if the Candaian reference bothered you, it was not my intent
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    jeffar2-

I agree. The workers in Canada just build them! They don't design/engineer them. They don't pick what vendors will supply the parts. The car could be built with the highest tech robots there are, but if the QUALITY of the parts isn't there, the quality of the end product won't be there either!

fastdriver
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    I have been reading this forum for a while and today I decided to trade in my '95 Lincoln Continental on a 2000 LHS. I am getting a good price from the dealer and .9% interest on a loan. I think it's a great deal. I am exactly the target market for this car...40 year old male (a bit too young for the Lincoln, I know). I had a '94 LHS and had a lot of problems with the A/C and the transmission. I'll keep everyone filled in on my opinion after I drive it a while.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    you are correct, they just build 'em, they don't design 'em. But it was not so long ago that UAW workers would come into my office laughing. When I asked them what was so funny, they would tell me how many new vehicles they sabotaged on the assembly line by placing empty beer cans (from drinking on the job, for those who can't figure it out) in various places in the chassis where the cans would never be found once the body was installed. Hence, the permanent rattles would drive the purchaser (and the warranty dealer) crazy. This is not fiction. Then these same UAW people had the gall to ask me why I did not "Buy American" and drove a Honda product in Detroit. I am sure that has changed, but it sure put a bitter taste in my mouth anytime I thought of the crap that the UAW got away with. And rather than eliminate the bad worker, the UAW "did its job" and fought tooth and nail to protec that worker's job. Hence, my bad taste of unions and their members and their products. Anytime you wonder why the Big 3 are moving production out of the US, maybe now you will understand.

No flames, please. The story you have read is true, and the names have NOT been revealed to protect their "innocence."
    I would have much more respect for the UAW if they fought as hard to eliminate the few lousy workers and to make our cars the best in the world. We know American workers can do it, because the American plants of Honda, Toyota and Nissan put out a product whose quality is indistinguishable from the Japanese-assembled version. In my mind, the only variable is th union. And no, I am not a union basher, but the truth is the truth, politically incorrect or not.
    So...are you Jeffc1, Jeffar2 or perhaps some other jeff? After much experience, I make it a point to take posts from authors with multiple handles and/or no email address with little seriousness.
    I'm not sure just what sources you draw from, if any, however resale value according to Carpoint@msn.com, their reviewers, and other sources is comparable to good. If you review the reliability records at Carpoint AND at Chrysler nemesis Consumer Reports--you'll see ratings anywhere from "Best In Class" for the first generation LH to "average". Incidentally, "average" from CR is high praise in most people's books. In addition, you'll find that overall Chrysler (in particular) and Dodge (a bit less so) score above the industry average on J.D Power "overall" rankings. This thread was discussed at other topics last fall when the information appeared. In the recent Car and Driver, you'll find a positive "long-term" report on the 300M and here at Edmunds a largely positive report on their long-term Intrepid. In addition, you'll find that a review of recall and TSB listings shows that even the first generation Intrepids had no worse--and in many cases better--records than there domestic peers and a variety of "vaunted" imports.
    I have sympathy for individuals that have a bad ownership experience with ANY vehicle. And virtually ALL manufactureres have produced some problematic vehicles. However, to accuse Chrysler of being "worse" than other domestic is simply and factually wrong.
    well said jason...however, you can rationalize all you like...I am not trying to make you "feel bad" about your car, I owned one and loved it on "face value", reality however set in. The car had poor fit and finish and shoddy materials...I bought the car with hopes of keeping it for a very long time...I also own a ford product with 36k miles which has been great. If you read most of the posts people report after only several thousand miles. I would expect them to be thrilled as I was, however, lets see how they feel after thousands and tens of thousands of miles. I surely hope they have greater success with the car than I did...that being said, your comment about chrysler being "worse" than other domestic manufacturers amuses me...look at your adjective "worse"...why not use "better" or a positive descriptive? anyway, remember a simple math equation....100 X 0, still equals 0

p.s I don't have multiple handles, and would be happy to e-mail you privately at any time
    After having a deluge of e-mails any time that I post an opinion/fact, I dropped my e-mail from my profile. I still love the look of the LHS and 300M and had no problems with mine. But the fact remains that when I tried to sell mine the best I could do was $20,000. You can quote all the surveys and car magazines that you want to defend your position. I have a real life experience to back mine. And I really don't give a damn if you believe it or not.

Jeffc1
    After having a deluge of e-mails any time that I post an opinion/fact, I dropped my e-mail from my profile. I still love the look of the LHS and 300M and had no problems with mine. But the fact remains that when I tried to sell mine the best I could do was $20,000. You can quote all the surveys and car magazines that you want to defend your position. I have a real life experience to back mine. And I really don't give a damn if you believe it or not.

Jeffc1
    My Y2K LHS is only 4 months old, 6500 miles, but the "fit and finish" is excellent, paint superb, no problems other than window wind noise. All individual experiences written about on this BB about any car, are anecdotal. The only thing that counts are frequency of repair statistics, such as those from Consumer Reports. I find CRs "judgements" worthless, i.e., my real-world reactions with things they rate, cars and otherwise, are frequently at odds with their ratings, but their stats are right on. They rate the LHS as average, and I believe it. As to resale value, that's why I lease. Chrysler can take the hit.
    Gentlemen. I agree there is "rationalizing" occuring--actually I think it would properly be termed "overgeneralization"--but I would argue that I'm not the one doing it. As usual, we seem to have incidents where someone with a bad experience wants to "generalize"--follow the logic here--to ALL of these vehicles or a certain manufacturer. THAT is overgeneralization. Rationalization occurs when you then use shoddy logic to attempt to defend the indefensible. And, as usual, failing to argue the data supports my contention and not yours.
    As I mentioned--I'm not here to build bad blood just to state my experience and, on occasion, try to bring "other side of the story". From my first year K-Car to my current 2000 Intrepid, my experiences have been positive. Does that mean everyone's have been...No. But neither is Chrysler a "poor" manufacturer simply because of limited people's experience or what you view as "poor" resale value.
    And regarding the first generation Intrepids--Check with the reliability rankings at Carpoint.com then get back to me..
  • yama1yzfyama1yzf Member Posts: 11
    I put up an earlier post in regards to my saga with a shimmy in the steering wheel. I finally got a chance to install the Michelin Pilot HXM's that were ordered for my car. All I can say is the tires are great. Shimmy is completely gone, the tire noise is much quieter on the highway and they grip much better to boot. They are a little harsher over rough roads but I expected that and it's a small trade-off. Overall, finally a happy customer. Now I just got to get my car from the impound lot. The police here towed my car from the airport while I was in Boston because the registration expired. I guess it could have been worse...thought it was stolen the day after I got the new tires on.
    Tire noise will decrease as you use it,congratulations on your new tires.
    All cars should have Michelins Pilot,like ours,the car becomes another car with the new tires,it´s amazing the difference.
    I just responded to you in another topic, now I have a question. Are the Michelin Pilots really that goodm and what do they cost for a 16" wheel like Intrepid?

Second, I have had four sets of Michelins on four Hondas, factory tires, and they all hydroplaned at 55mph. I am assuming Pilots are better. Am I correct?
    Pilots are better,about hydroplaning with the tires,I always set tire psi.at 26 if it´s raining,and 28 if there is no rain,and no problem at all,in fact I have less road and tire noise.
    Jason, you have a 2000 intrepid?????? my suggestion is to first own a LHS/300M before you speak...although the platforms may be similar, your intrepid is in a different class...the construction of a LHS/300M may be acceptable for the price of a current intrepid, but, as I stated fit and finish for a 30k+ product is cheap...I love guys like you... you become spokespersons based on what you read with no "real" experience on the product at all...remember figures lie and liars figure...anyway, you've given me a great laugh...all along I thought you at least owned a LHS/300M, but as is so common, you are just another person who pontificates to others just to hear the sound of your own voice...very, very sad
    Couldn't agree with you more Copperhead....feels like a different car with the pilots. No wonder they are standard equipment on high end luxury cars. Luckily I got the car out of the impound lot without a scratch.
    Marsha7, I would assume the 16" pilots would cost close to the ones they put on my car, which were $234 each. However, you can go to tirerack.com and get prices there. Also, I think there are different versions of the pilot series tires. Mine are the HXM's (the most expensive).
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    I picked up my 2000 LHS last week and I find that the headroom is not sufficient. I'm 6'2" (not a giant) and my head is about 1/2" to 1" from the headliner but my hair touches it and it's aggravating. I'm almost looking through the shaded area at the top of the windshield. If I lean forward (as if I was in an accident), I could easily see where I would have some serious neck injuries or maybe break my neck if I hit something.
    I looked in the brochure and it says the front headroom is 38.3". I put my front seat all the way down to the floor as far as it will go and measured from the back area (where I would be sitting) to the headliner and I get 35 1/2" to 36". So my questions are: What is the definition of front headroom? Does anyone else find that is is inadequate? It is Chrysler's largest sedan and I wouldn't think it should be a problem.
    Thanx for the tire info, but one other question. If one buys tires from tirerack, who installs them on the wheels, who warranties the tires, etc? Like they say, you don't walk into a restaurant with your own bacon & eggs and ask them to cook them, what happens when you walk into your local tire store, with your own tires that they did not make any profit from, and say install and warranty these for me?
    I can't answer your questions, but I'm curious, do you have a sun/moon/hole-in-the-roof? It takes away some of the headroom, but I don't know how much.
    Yes, that's correct. I own an Intrepid ES. We are considering an LHS or 300M for my wife. If only you used the same speed and energy to attempt to deal with the data as you did to pounce on my choice of vehicle--you'd likely appear less foolish.
    A few thoughts...in no particular order. The Intrepid and Concorde are more like the LHS and 300M than they are dissimilar. I don't recall our "debate" involving issues of "build quality" or "interior quality" per se...weren't we discussing reliability and resale? As usual "guys like you" attempt to shift topics or use distraction instead of dealing with "the data". Incidentally, "figures lie and liars figure" is a cute little euphemism that folks use when they can't or won't understand or provide concrete evidence to back up their claims.
    Lastly, before buying my Intrepid, I spent a total of three weeks in rental Intrepids. That process helped me make my decision. In addition, I have two family members who own Intrepids and we have discussed them at length. I currently have an uncle with a 1999 LHS, which I've driven and discussed with him. Because of our travel for work, my wife and I have spent roughly four weeks in rental LHS's. I think that gives us some "behind the wheel" indication.
    With regard to which of us is very, very sad... I think that is largely evident..
    Jason5-

All the LH cars are built in the same factory on the same assembly line by the same people! I'm sure that the parts i.e power window motors, switches, leather etc. are all from the same company no matter which LH car they go in.

I agree with you.

fastdriver
    Thanks. I suspect that anyone who views these four vehicles as somehow dramatically different simply does not know the product. From stampings to engine architecture and blocks (3.2-3.5) to audio equipment to electricals, the differences amount to minor suspension tuning, engine size and output and cost, plus some minor content.
    You are right, in my opinion. Just like Buick Skylark was a Chevy Chevelle, was a Pontiac Tempest and Lemans, and was an Oldsmobile F85/Cutlass/442.

Quick story: years back, selling auto parts, buyer, usually male, would come in and ask for parts (tune-up, front end, shocks, etc.) and brag about his 4-4-2, as though it was unique. When I start to open the catalog, naturally it is listed under F85, Cutlass, 442. You want to see someone have a fit right there? Tell someone with a 442 that his car is really and F85, souped up, of course. But, same shocks, springs, balljoints, etc. Used to drive these guys nuts!

Yet, we have some posters stating that the Intrepid is nowhere near the 300M or LHS. Slightly different suspension, more HP, but a totally different car? Hardly. Hey, maybe that was the guy with the 442.................
    marsha7-

Not sure how old you are, but do you remember the Oldsmobile Rocket V-8 engines? If I recall all of this correctly, it was touted as being different, but was in several other GM cars?? Didn't that lead to GM putting in the disclaimer in their manuals that some parts "may" be shared with other divisions!

Jason5-

SOMETIMES those same LH cars get different parts put on the wrong models. Don't forget, the European 300M is made in Canada too. That model has many different parts/options that the American 300 doesn't have or even offer as an option!

fastdriver
  • gadkins1gadkins1 Member Posts: 29
    Well Jason5, I ordered my Intrepid RT from the dealer several weeks ago. The dealer happened to have an Inferno Red RT coming in soon. Based on my manufacturers order number, my car's ship date was yesterday, February 15. I am now seeing quite a few Intrepids and other LH cars on the road (no RTs yet). I am anxious for my car to arrive. None of the few negative comments on this post have made me change my mind about my selection. I still know that there can always be a few rotten apples in a bushel of otherwise good Macintoshes. I am still very impressed with the styling and roominess of the Intrepid. I turned in my 1997 Ford Expedition yesterday, at the end of my three year lease. It seems ashamed to have made large payments for three years and have nothing to show for it at the end. Thank God for the Chrysler Finance 0.9% financing incentive. I'm definitely buying the RT, not leasing. I'm not concerned with the technical arguments made in the negative posts because they are in the faint minority. However, the tenor of the negative posts does concern me. It signals an underlying anger in the Jeffc 1, 2, (and 3?) posters that could get in the way of reasoning. I believe that, in the year 2000, one would have great difficulty finding widespread flaws in the workmanship of Daimler/Chrysler products. The numbers just do not support that notion. There are by far more positive postings than negative in the Chrysler posts. Contrast this with some of the other manufacturers' owner posts and you will see that Dodge and Chrysler do quite well with owners. That doesn't mean that every car that gets assembled will operate flawlessly. I worked on the assembly line for GM early in my career and I saw firsthand how even automated assembly processes can go slightly out of adjustment and cause poor fitting parts or flaws in some vehicles. The machine I worked on stamped out 15,000 parts per 8-hour shift and required readjustment every 6,000 to 7,000 cycles. As for resale value and the complaints i read earlier from Jeffc1, I can say from "real world experience" that most new vehicles are not good investments for those who intend to sell them or trade them one or two years after purchase. I took a bath recently on a 1999 Lincoln Navigator that I bought for my wife and then traded in less than six months when she said it was too big for her. The vehicle depreciated $7K in five months. I got over it. You should too Jeffc1. I have owned a Ford Windstar 1998. No problems at all. A 1997 Ford Expedition. No problems. 1987 and 1990 Nissan Pathfinders. Leaking exhaust manifold gasket at 36,000 miles. 1990 Ford E150 Conversion Van. Electrical problems created by the conversion manufacturer. The only common theme throughout has been a deliberate and determined effort on my part to respond with patience and kindness to each aggravating problem and unfortunate circumstance. Family members have owned everything from Hondas to Chevy Caprices with
    all kinds of good reports and bad reports for each
    manufacturer. My point is that people who are
    experiencing no problems with their vehicles
    typically don't take the time post an extended
    message on these bulletin board systems. People
    who are having problems use these bulletin boards
    as an outlet (rightly so). What I am suggesting is that we all could tell a horror story or two about a new vehicle that did not perform to our
    expectations, or an insensitive or untrained dealer service rep who left a bad taste in our mouths. Ignorance has no dealer favorites and greed or insensitivity sometimes appear after the sale is consummated. The same frustration or anger that drives some of the comments in this bulletin board, drives the insensitivity we experience at some dealerships or meetings with manufacturer reps. The truth is, we could all stand to be a bit more sensitive, understanding, patient, and forgiving when we encounter lifes problems. If we all lived closer to God's expectations, we might see these problems differently and not let them fill us with anger, resent, and the quest for vengeance. All throughout the posts I have read in this and other
    bulletin boards, are stories (mostly legitimate) of bad experiences with vehicles, of all different
    makes and manufacturers. Treat these bad past
    experiences as just that, a thing of the past.
    Don't dwell on it. It's bad enough that the dealer has your money. Don't give them years off your life from keeping that anger pent up inside of you. Pray for God's intervention and a better vehicle next time around. Move on to new experiences, whether with different makes or the same. Eventually, with faith and God's help you will find something that meets your needs and expectations. God bless all of you! I can't wait for my Intrepid RT!
    I'm over my resale experience. Just warning others. I'm digging my new wheels. Hope you enjoy yours also. Best of luck.

Jeffc1
  • john_kolodziejjohn_kolodziej Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 99 LHS since July 99. Ever since I have had it it has vibrated at about 60 MPH. I have had it back to the dealer 5 times, had a new set of Goodyears but on last August and it still vibrates.

After reading all the other posts today about others having the problem I called Chrysler Customer support. The guy said he searched for a Tech bulletin on the vibration and did not find anything.

If anyone has any info on how to go about getting the dealer to change out the tires, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also if anyone has info on the "Soft Cam Warning" sent to dealers, I would appreciate that info also.

Thanks,

johnk@matrixcc,com
  • gadkins1gadkins1 Member Posts: 29
    If I find any leftover HoneyBakedFoods dinner wrappers in the recesses of my RT, I'll be sure to be extra vigilant for problems. :-)
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    This past week, in the used car ads here in Orlando, a 1999 LHS - no chrome, no roof - was offered for sale at $20,500. This was as a used car on a new car lot. With a list of about $28000, did this car really lose $7500 in JUST 1 year. Since I put more than 20,000 miles a year on a car, I think this just eliminated the beautiful LHS from my list. Theres no way I can afford to lose this much on a car. I know leasing is an option, but not for me with the amount of driving I do.

I will probably go back to Acura, Nissan, or Honda, even though the LHS is what I want. Why cant DC - or any Amercian car company - make cars that hold their value. THEY are forcing us to buy import cars just to stay ahead financially.

Yes, there is more to a car than just financial investment, but in this day and age, it doesnt make sense NOT to consider this.

I will continue to monitor this post, and if anyone has other resale info on these cars, please let me know.

thanks
    gadkins1-

BE CAREFUL!! I THINK it was kp1's dealer who sent her flowers or a plant! Others got gift certificates for dinner! I don't even think I got a thank you! Anyway, be careful if they give you a fancy, wrapped Honey Baked dinner!! LOL....

Make sure your health insurance is paid up! ;-)))

john_kolodziej-

I believe all those soft cam cars were caught BEFORE they left Canada! If you suspect that yours slipped through, call Chrysler! There is a way for them to tell if you got the soft cam although it's a job that calls for specific equipment that the dealers most likely don't have- a borascope! I believe these cars were built around Sept. of 99, maybe a little earlier.

fastdriver
    John, in regards to your tire problem, get in touch with your District Manager over the problem. It's the only way you will
    Marsha, I did not order the Michelins at Tirerack. They were ordered by Chrysler for me. I just used Tirerack to find the tire I wanted. I did however buy tires from tirerack for my Probe GT. My local dealer installed and balanced them with no issues. The warranty is carried by the manufactuer, so that should not be a problem either.
    john_kolodziej-

I FORGOT to tell you about your tires- if the dealer has balanced and aligned them and done the million other things they needlessly do to TRY and solve problems and they're still the same- then go to the tire dealer and have them check it out!

You need to read this ESPECIALLY if you have the Goodyear tires! http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/

The tires are warranteed by the TIRE company, NOT Chrysler!

Good luck. You'll need it.

fastdriver
    Yama1: thank you for the information

Fastdriver: I just turned 47. Yes, I remember the Olds Rocket 350. If I recall correctly, in the 70s, there were minor differences in GM's 350s. Chevy had theirs, Buick, Olds and Pontiac had theirs. An Olds Rocket 350 was one hell of an engine, equal to or better than a Chevy 350 (except high performance models). All engines were only sold in their respective cars until 1977, when GM did the switcheroo trick, Chevy engines in Olds, Buick engines in Chevys, Pontiac engines in Buicks, etc. GM got into much hot water because they spent many years advertising and promoting, for example, the Rocket 350. So when people bought an Olds, and later found out they had a CHvey engine, but were charged a premium for the Rocket, lawsuits followed and GM lost. The logical answer for GM was no more engine advertising, and that infamous phrase "Your engine has been manufactured by one of GM's divisions."

BTW, 1977 was the same year that GM came out with their V6, where they thought they would save money by leaving off the hardened nut from the hardened bolt on the piston connecting rods. Instead, they screwed the hardened bolt into the upper half of the connecting rod, which is made of soft cast iron. Worst enginneering mistake since the Vega. And you folks want to know why I am suspicious of American cars?
    marsha7-

Yes! Now I recall all that confusion! That was something! They should have just said that the engines were the same instead of trying to FOOL the public! If you have ever looked at http://www.autoextremist.com, you'll see that they are STILL TRYING to pull the wool over our eyes! Go read about that infamous Motor Trend Car of the Year award- PURE BULL AND HYPE! The article is in the archives there. If you can't find it, let me know. I'll get the direct link for you.

fastdriver