Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• boilerpeteboilerpete Member Posts: 18
    Marsha7,
    There have never been any "cast iron" con rods used in American engines. Ductile iron, Powdered Metal, and Steel Forgings yes, but cast iron never. It wouldn't last long enough to drive out of the lot. Not familiar with the GM incident that you refer to but know from working at GM that v-6 engines were made by Buick in the 60's. That is the engine that evolved into the venerable 3.8 L that is still around.
    P.S. I have about 4000 miles on my new LHS and love it. Runs great, rides well and looks super.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    If I stand corrected on "cast iron" I apologize. The point was that GM thought they would save $ by removing the hardened nut, and then screwing a hardened bolt into a MUCH SOFTER metal. I believe the V6s started with a 231 engine, not sure. I also seem to remember that they made two V6s, one small and one larger, one made by Buick, as you stated, and one made by another GM division (Olds?). Anyway, some of the biggest con jobs have been attempted by GM. And, for once, autoworkers were innocent, they only made what management gave them.
    I think the 231 engine you are thinking of was a Chevy in-line six. I don't remember where the 3.8 Buick started out but I had a 1980 Buick Regal with the V-6 that stayed with the company I worked for until 1992 with over 200,000 miles and still running well. I don't remember any con rod problems with GM although they sure had other problems the biggest of which, in my opinion was that idiot Roger Smith making all the cars look almost alike. The only way you could tell them apart was the emblem. The worst was the Chevy J-car with a Cadillac emblem they called a Cimarron I think. What a down hill trip for GM.
    How do you like your LHS??
    were the 230 and the 250. The 231, I believe, was a V6, along with something larger. I also seem to remember that was about the time GM came out with a 350 diesel, an Olds Rocket 350, with a compression ratio of something like 16 to 1, to burn diesel fuel. True to form, the engines were a disaster, because GM did not beef up the main bearings to tolerate the increased compression. Once again, any newborn engineer would know this stuff, but GM has a way of trying things out on the public before any testing is done. Kind of like Caddy's V8-6-4, another engineering miracle.

Were you asking me how I liked my LHS, or someone else?
    I asked how you liked your LHS. Great car in my opinion.
    I thought the big problem with the Olds Diesel 350 was camshafts and head gaskets?? It was a bad decision to drop that engine on the public without sufficient testing. They also introduced a V-6 diesel in the 1980's that wasn't a bad engine but didn't sell because of the bad rep from the 350.
    It would not surprise me if headgaskets were also a problem, as GM would probably not design gaskets to tolerate increased compression. The problem was the main bearings, because the engines were "lunching" themselves (disintegrating).

Sorry for my lack of clarification. I do not own an LHS, I just bought a Y2K Intrepid ES.

Bob
  • harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    I bought a l977 Delta 88 2 door coup new and discovered it had a chevy engine and a chevette 200 metric transmission in it. The transmission went bad at l9,000 miles and GM refused to fix it. Remember the days of l2 months and l2,000 mile warrantys!!!! I got a settlement on the engine and trasmission in the class action law suit. I never got more than $500.00 total which did not cover rebuilding the chevette transmission which I had an independent shop fix.

GM screwing the customer forever!!!!
  • intrigue2intrigue2 Member Posts: 46
    harlybill,
    i had a 78 cutless supreme,same problem, first transmission went at 20,000 miles, second,installed by dealer, at 40,000 miles, third transmission, installed by aamco, was still going strong when i got rid of the car at 80,000 miles(makes you wonder) , for a 1993 eagle vision.subsequently got rid of a 1987 cutless ciera, whose only problem was a faulty water pump, for a 1994 eagle vision, as i loved eagles the sheet metal.

total repairs on the '93 and '94, 2 transmissions, a catalytic converter,engine computer, alternator, abs module,defective wheel rims and window seals, and various electrical problems.chrylser.....engineered to be great cars?

my posting on the recall was to inform owners of cars falling into model years 1993-1995 of a potential safety problem. i no longer own a chrysler product,and probably never will, but read their topics and the comments posted with interest.the recall notice was posted for information,and i hope owners of the cars involved will take it as such.no car is perfect, but unfortunately,some cars are more perfect then others.

best of luck with whatever you're driving now.
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    I still really like my 2000 LHS. I do not find it cheaply or poorly built, in fact I find it to be a very well designed and built vehicle.

Another point, someone was crying that the LHS was not buit in America but in Canada. Well guess what, Canada is in America, North America as is Mexico and the United States. The build quality of my LHS is excellent and I for one think they are doing a damn fine job.
  • trusteetrustee Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the Chrysler LHS. My wife thinks the rear window is too small and obstructed creating a safety hazard. Any thoughts?
  • trusteetrustee Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the Chrysler LHS. My wife thinks the rear window is too small and obstructed creating a safety hazard. Any thoughts?
  • 8to58to5 Member Posts: 3
    I find the rear view to leave some thing to be desired. I think it is better than the 300m. That and price are the reasons I bought the LHS. I really like the car smooth ride and 28.6 mpg over 1200 mile interstate trip IN. to FLA. No problems yet.
    I have an 2000 Intrepid. It seems that all the LH cars (Intrepid, Concorde, 300M, LHS) are designed with a smaller rear window than most of us would like, although, from the posts, the 300M may be the smallest. My solution was to place two 3-inch blind spot mirrors on the right and left exterior mirrors (yes, even on the stock convex mirror on the passenger side), which helps me a lot in viewing both sides better, and a little help on the rear. The comment posted often on the 300M topic is that, with time, you develop a sixth sense as to where your front and rear are, since it is difficult to see either because of the rear mirror or the front slope of the hood. Hope this helps
    Would it be a good investment to buy an extended warranty from Chrysler such as the Maximum Care program? My 2000 LHS has been perfect but what might happen after 3 years? The programs are not inexpensive; the "Maximum Care" program is $780 for 5 years or 60,000 miles, but there sure are a lot of gadgets.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Consider the opportunity cost of the $780 also (i.e. what else could you have done with the moeny e.g. invested it in a 3 year cd or mutual fund etc.) Is there a deductable on the ext. warranty?
    I'd consider investing the money instead. That way it's there if you need it and if you don't you should have more than your original investment to do with what you please. If you buy the warranty and don't need it, you have nothing.
    But, if it helps you to sleep at night....

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Laurasdada. The opportunity cost on $780 is rather minimal, compared to the cost of a new engine or transmission, which would cost thousands of $$$. While I agree that 780 invested in Amazon.com two years ago would now pay for the new car completely, most of us did not make that call. Also, the $780 is a one-time expense, whereas the electronics on the car could breal multiple times, and the extended warranty could pay for itself many times over. More than peace of mind, Murphy's law states that the major repair will occur when you do not have the money available. I say buy the warranty with a $50 deductible.
    Every LHS that I have seen in my area is equipped with GoodYear tires. I believe that in some other places the LHS is available with Michelins, is this only Canada?.

What is the full description of the Michelin tire that Chrysler furnishs with the new vehicle?

I think the LHS is great, but I believe it would be better with Michelins. Has anyone had the Chrysler dealer or A Tire dealer exchange the GoodYears for Michelins?
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    They are substantially discounted by most Chrysler dealers, and DON'T have to be bought from the dealer that sold the car. To the non-selling dealer, any profit is "found money." You have a full year after car purchase to buy it. Shop around. Also, while some disagree, I would not buy any Extended Warranty that was not for the car manufacturer.
  • hacker3hacker3 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my LHS Feb. 25 ,2000 and love the way it handled. Soon,100 miles, I developed a shimmy. My dealer balanced all four wheels and I was back in a week with the same problem. This time he sent me to a Goodyear dealer to have the tires checked and they found one bad one. They weren't specific what was wrong but replaced it. Guess what? It's back again. I'm calling tomorrow for another 'fix'. Is there any other tire then Goodyear on LHS's? Also could there be something wrong with the car instead of the tires?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  • hacker3hacker3 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my LHS Feb. 25 ,2000 and love the way it handled. Soon,100 miles, I developed a shimmy. My dealer balanced all four wheels and I was back in a week with the same problem. This time he sent me to a Goodyear dealer to have the tires checked and they found one bad one. They weren't specific what was wrong but replaced it. Guess what? It's back again. I'm calling tomorrow for another 'fix'. Is there any other tire then Goodyear on LHS's? Also could there be something wrong with the car instead of the tires?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  • yama1yzfyama1yzf Member Posts: 11
    Hacker3, scroll up to about topic #250 on this forum and you will see a lot of stuff about the tires and shimmy problem. Mine has been eliminated with Michelins, but not before a lot of complaining.
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    If switching out the tires does not remedy the situation, ask your dealership to verify that your rims/wheels are "true," as in "properly round." A friend of mine recently had to have the dealership switch out two rims on his Dakota to address the same issue. Of course, I have no idea whether the "trueness" of wheels is a problem with LHS's in general, it is just another avenue to explore if new tires don't resolve it for you.
    I was told by my Chrysler dealer that the GoodYear tires on my new LHS were "out of spec" and could not be ballanced. They ordered and installed new GoodYear tires that apparently could be ballanced, they have been running smooth and problem free for 2,300 miles now.
    No more LHS discussions?
  • lhs3lhs3 Member Posts: 1
    i am an owner of one. the lhs is the most distinctive and best-bred luxury chrysler ever. and to express my feelings about it i wote a letter to the ceo of chrysler stating that the lhs is pure luxury and a have NO PROBLEMS NO PROMBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLE. ITS A SHOW-CAR!!!!!
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    3 dealers here in town. 1 has 8 LHS's. 4 are 1999's and 3 of the 2000's are white. The other 2 dealers have less the 5 cars each, and about 2 of the 5 are 1999. Where are the red 2000's with chrome wheels, roof and big 4 disc stereo? I wnat the 2000, but didnt think I;d have to order the car.

Has anyone out there recently ordered an LHS? I know the deals of $1000 off or 0.9% financing make it time to buy for me, but I cant find what I want. If ordered, how long does it take, and if you got a 2000, do they have the tire and window bugs worked out?

Whats up with this topic?? Is there really that much lack of interest in this great car? I have to go to 300 M page to get current updates.

Is the LHS going to v-8 rear drive next year?

Love the car, but it seems there are very few of us out there.....

I'm still ready to buy this month
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    robin354-

In looking at the car ads in today's paper, I noticed that all the Chrysler ads said that the .9% financing ends tomorrow 4/3! I thought that I read somewhere else that it went longer than this, but I don't remember where I read it.

This topic and the Concorde topics have never been as active as the 300M one for some reason. Are we 300M owners really more passionate about our cars than the other LH owners?? LOL....... We certainly have a lot to say anyway- pro and con.

fastdriver
    My 2000 LHS, equipped with every option that Chrysler offered, is doing just great thank you. It's almost ready for it's 3000 mile service, uses no oil and rides smooth. There not much to talk about when there is nothing to [non-permissible content removed] about. The only problem I have with this car is that I can't get it away from my wife to drive it.
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the info. I think you're right. I called the dealers today, and no one was aware of that particular deal. I think I need to do more investigating.

I'll start my serious shopping next week.

OBERFELWEBER

Hows the MPG on your car on the highway? I know its barely broken in, but I was just wondering.
    Any problems with tire vibration? Good luck with your new car. I'm real close to buying. As soon as I get my taxes done, I should be ready. Its been tough to find the car I want - inventories are limited here in Orlando. Lots of 1999's on the lots, but I dont want one of those. I'll probably order one so I get everything I want.
    Fastdriver:
    My LHS delivers 27 MPG on the highway when driven at 70 to 75 MPH. The GoodYear tires that came on the car are not my choice but they seem to be OK so far. If you can find or order an LHS with Michelins I believe you would have a better riding car.

I bought my LHS in Vero Beach and had no problem selecting the exact vehicle that I wanted at a fair price.
    oberfieldwebel-

WOW! I think that's fantastic! I don't get anywhere near that kind of mileage at those speeds with my 99 300M. I never did. Oh well, only 15 months left on this lease and then it's going back to its maker!! LOL....

fastdriver
  • coronadacoronada Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my 2000 LHS back in February. Should be in "any day now!" I'm assuming by next week. I am looking forward to it. Actually, I CANNOT WAIT! :-) So basically it took about, or will take about, 8 weeks.

Also, can anyone tell me a "rough estimate" of what a "good deal" on an LHS is?

And lastly, to the person that was wondering about the cash back or .07%(???) (I can't remeber) financing, I believe it was supposed to to end the beginning of April; however, if you are a recent graduate, they will give you $400 back!!!

:-)

I am new here, so I hope I did everything right!
    SORRY...Apparently I didn't do everything right. I submitted it twice! Sorry! :-(
    I ordered my 2000 LHS back in February. Should be in "any day now!" I'm assuming by next week. I am looking forward to it. Actually, I CANNOT WAIT! :-) So basically it took about, or will take about, 8 weeks.

Also, can anyone tell me a "rough estimate" of what a "good deal" on an LHS is?

And lastly, to the person that was wondering about the cash back or .07%(???) (I can't remeber) financing, I believe it was supposed to to end the beginning of April; however, if you are a recent graduate, they will give you $400 back!!!

:-)

I am new here, so I hope I did everything right!
    coronada-

Welcome to Edmunds! You did fine! If you go back to your second post and click on the BLUE message number, you can eliminate the second post by clicking on SCRIBBLE. After a while, you'll get the hang of this.

Lots of luck with your new car. Drive it in good health.

fastdriver
  • billgolfer09billgolfer09 Member Posts: 18
    The last 3 cars I have owned have had automatic load leveling ( first, a Dodge and then 2 Cadillacs). They all had (have for the Caddy I now have) air shocks and sensors plus a built-in air compressor. It's a MUST feature for me. We travel with 4 people and a trunk load of suitcases and golf clubs often. I hate cars that sag under this kind of load.

The LHS does not have this as far as I can tell. Has anyone experienced serious rear-end sag problems with a heavy load?

I love the looks and the price of the LHS!
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Just wait till you see the new one (LHX),a lot nicer!!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Ordered a new LHS on 4/1/00. It shipped from the Ontario factory today and I will have it in less than two more weeks. 4 weeks total.
    Bought it through a Sam's club dealer in Brighton, Colorado by email, phone and fax. Never went to the dealership.
    Dealer invoice less the $1,000 rebate.
    Best I could do thru all the online services was $300 over invoice.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Have had my new LHS for two weeks. Beautiful bright white with black interior. Love it. I am wondering if anyone else with a 2000 LHS feels the road in the gas pedal while driving. This may sound strange but I feel what I think is slight road vibration in the gas pedal at speeds over 50 miles an hour. NO shimmy... NO shake or anything like that... just a feel of the road in the pedal.Antone else?
    Thats... Anyone else
  • billgolfer09billgolfer09 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone who owns an 2000 LHS read my posting #362?? Would appreciate feedback.
    The 2000 LHS has one of the largest trunks I have ever seen. It does not have load leveling as a standard or extra, however it does have a very level ride during heavy exceleration or heavy braking. It may have something to do with the torshion bars I am quite sure it has. No nose dive... No tail drop. I am not sure this really means it will be the same under heavy trunk load, buy I do not think it will be a problem.Naturally I can not guarantee it. Good luck.
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone ever experienced a TOTAL loss of steering in a Chrysler product, preferably '94 or newer. Two bolts on the rack & pinion completely sheared off. Rack was replaced at 47K miles under extended warrantly. Mileage now 74K and NO accident to the vehicle to cause this to happen. Local Chrysler service reports seeing this once before and they are being very cooperative in trying to get factory reimbursement for us. This happened while leaving a gas station and not while going 65 mph down the highway (PTL). Any info would be most appreciated. I need some closure and a darned good reason why this happened before I can climb back into any Chrysler product. BTW, the rack put in at 47K was a new one and not a reman.
  • molarmaraudermolarmarauder Member Posts: 1
    I have a '00 LHS with chrome wheels that haven't been out on salted or cindered roads and they're already starting to pit. We bought the car a couple of months ago-it was a demo with 1700 miles on it. Any advice? Has anyone had the same problem yet?And yes I do get road noise (too much I think)and also feedback from the gas pedal. I hadn't seen that in years! A good set of Michelins would help some.Why no load levelers? Doesn't make sense to me but I haven't hauled any heavy loads yet. Still, they are very nice vehicles.
  • norbertenorberte Member Posts: 6
    I just leased a new 2000 LHS a week ago. I could not decide on a 300M or LHS, but I finally opt'ed for the softer ride, more leg room and bigger trunk space. I gave up the Autostick, however! Wish that was an option for the LHS!! I traded in my 95 New Yorker for this LHS. It is a beautiful car.

In one of the above posting (365?), it mentioned about feeling the road on the gas pedal. I have the same complaint. I need to find some time to go back to the dealer and try another vehicle, see if it does the same thing.
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    About a week after I bought my 2000 LHS, I backed into an ice mound while parking. One of the chrome tailpipe pieces bent. The tailpipe is fine and so is the muffler, etc. Just the chrome piece is a little bent. That piece is welded on about 6"-8" back on the tailpipe. I was at the dealer this morning and he told me I have to replace the whole pipe and muffler to fix it. That's a bit ridiculous. I could cut it off with a Dremel tool and have one welded back on if I could get a new chrome piece. Any suggestions? Please help.
    Any more info. on the feel of the road on the gas pedal would be appreciated. The LHS really is a great car, have had mine for about 3 weeks, hit 1000 miles today.If you try another car and no "road feel" please post. Thanx...
  • ghromnakghromnak Member Posts: 2
    I picked up our LHS a couple of weeks ago. Paid $250 over invoice which I thought was reasonable. Took the 0.9% discount which I believe has been extended until the end of May. The car rides like a dream with excellent handling. Ours has a cinnamon exterior with the light beige interior and had the 3 major options (radio, wheels and moonroof).Did notice any wind noise or vibration mentioned by other users. The tires are Goodyear which I plan to rotate every 3500 miles with an oil change. The car has almost 1000 miles on it. On a trip from PA to NJ traveling on I80 with cruise control set at 65 for the 190 mile trip it averaged 28.8mpg per the overhead trip computer.My previous car was a 1994 Lincoln Continental and this car seems to be every bit as good and better in some respects especially in handling. The radio is much better than on my 98 Explorer which is a Ford top of the line unit. I'll keep you posted as the miles build up but it looks like we're going to thoroughly enjoy this LHS.
  • ghromnakghromnak Member Posts: 2
    With regard to notice # 374 I left out the not in regard to the wind noise and vibration. That is, I did not notice any that caught my attention. I'll check on the pedal vibration however.
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    You mentioned your mpg readout on the trip computer. I suggest you check that with a manual calculation. To do MPG, you need the # of miles traveled (since last reset) and the gallons used. The computer only knows the miles, not the gallons. Car manufacturers pre-program a "factor" into those trip computers to use in the computation. I calculated mine manually and compared it to the computer on a recent gas fillup. the actual MPG was about 1 MPG less than what the computer said. The computer said 21.5 but it was actually 20.5 (around town). Not a big difference, but a difference nonetheless.