Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I am a 2000 LHS owner.... First let me say that I also have adjusted the fader toward the rear. When set at the normal,center, spot the sound seems to come from the windshield area. As for the sound itself,I find this system to be outstanding. The low high and midrange all rival the sound of my home system which is quite sophisticated. Could it be you have to adjust the equalizer? Or could it be that your speakers themselves need to be checked? It is very possible that all is O.K.and this system is just not to your liking. Sound is a very personal thing. What sounds wonderful to one person may sound poor to someone else. Good luck... and I hope adjusting the equalizer may help you to enjoy the system more.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I may be a bit fussy on sound system. I did fine tune the equalizer for best sound and find that I Had to put base control just below midlevel, the midrnge is adjusted almost to the bottom, and highs are just under midlevel. I think my speakers are ok as sound is the same no matter which set of speakers I listen to. Guess I just have to get used to it. I probably would have liked the Bose system better.

Otherwise, except for road noise which I am getting used to , I love my 300M. The best value for the money out there. Just hope they have finally made their product more reliable. So far, so good. No defects after 2000 miles.
    As I said in my last post...music is in the ears of the beholder. I have my bass set at just under the highest setting, the midrange is set a tick above center, and the high setting is all the way to the top. I love to hear the bass and I love to hear the cymbals etc., without the loud volume.Have you tried this setting or anything near it? I agree,great value for the money and I am really enjoying this car.
  • tomjobetomjobe Member Posts: 6
    Having bought 14 new GM cars over the years, I have promised myself never to buy another GM product. When the first lhs came out I had a hard time going to a Chrysler because I had never owned one and their history. However I liked the looks and the features, not as big as a Cadillac or Lincoln but still plenty of room. My 94 served me well, the only problem being the AC controls. The 99 has 12,000 miles on it and has never been back to the dealer but will go back for the seat belt recall. I have friends with very expensive cars (mercedes s500, etc) that are impressed when ridding in my lhs and they have problems too. Hopefully my lhs will continue as it has started. I do not expect a trouble free car but I like what I have had the last 5 years. tomj
  • dhgiiidhgiii Member Posts: 5
    Most of us hear the road a little too much. Those that have 300M's with the performance package seem to hear it even worse than we LHS owners.

My '94 produced a lot of road noise. It was a little quieter once I replaced the Goodyears. My 2000 is much quieter, even with the factory Goodyears. But it's still not quite there yet. Chrysler's aware of the problem because they did some re-design of the rear suspension. The 2000 interior noise is 4db less than the 99's.

But.... it's still there, especially on certain surfaces, like concrete.

So. What tires should we be putting on these cars to help eliminate the problem, people? And... let's hope Chrysler's listening, too!
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    I have 4000 miles on my 2000 LHS and I'm very disappointed in the noise level. In my car, I don't see it as a "road noise / tire noise" problem. It's a "wind noise" problem. I keep checking to see if I have a window open a bit because it sounds like air is getting in somewhere...mostly on the drivers side front pillar. Can this be corrected? Don't you hear it?
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    No.
  • dhgiiidhgiii Member Posts: 5
    I don't have any wind noise. Check the alignment of your doors, hood, trim, etc. Something just a little out might grap some air. Compare the door gasketing on both sides of the car, too. If the driver side doesn't mirror the passenger side, you might have found the problem.
  • jimbofryjimbofry Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Chrysler LHS and have had many problems with the steering mechanism. The tie rods have been replaced twice, and the rack and pinion once. The car has 72,000 miles. I wrote four letters to Chrysler after learning that Chrysler developed technical bulletins reflecting the problems encountered. I was refused any assistance, including an evaluation request by any Chrysler dealership regarding the safety of the vehicle.

Another problem is the ongoing odor from the A/C system, which was also a technical bulletin issue from Chrysler.

This Chrysler is the first and last I will ever own.
  • starfire2starfire2 Member Posts: 9
    Didn't Chrysler at one point have a 7year/70,000 mile factory powertrain warranty back in the 1980's? I guess those days are long gone...
  • anthony56anthony56 Member Posts: 6
    My original post was number 388 regarding the rumbling noise. After 10 days spent surfing the net, trouble shooting, writing letters and talking to regular people, I determined that the noise was a power steering pump going bad. I am not sure why the dealer could not diagnose the problem. Anyway, it is currently in the shop getting a new power steering pump and a water pump for good measure under the power train warranty. I am also having a new timing belt installed for peace of mind. We are going to be leaving soon on a road trip and if I had to drive my 1987 Crown Victoria (without AC) on vacation, this would have been my last Chrysler. The really sad part of the story is I trust my old V8 Ford with 132,000 miles more than the 1996 LHS with 53,000 miles.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    Wind noise at above 65 mph is about the only complaint I have about my Y2K LHS. My dealer reported "couldn't hear it." I guess the car is so noisy, they considered it "normal."
  • jyanuljyanul Member Posts: 9
    I haven't been reviewing this section for awhile
    until today and saw some opioions on the 2000
    LHS STEREO SYSTEM. I basically saw TWO extremes:
    One person who thought is was poor & another who
    thought it was excellent. I know this is a very
    personal subject based on what someones ears hear
    and possibly what they are used to hearing (equipment quality). I've owned quite a bit of new
    cars and have ALWAYS purchased the "upgraded"
    STEREO....I have NEVER, EVER had a good sounding
    factory stereo system...NEVER. They ALWAYS sound
    cheap, "tinny"..lack depth. And you pay a fortune
    for them...a definite "cash cow" for the mfg. I
    did order the 360 watt upgrade thinking that FINALLY the $300.00 (whatever it was) upgrade
    would be worth it but like usual...no way!! I cannot even imagine what the base system sounds like. These CHRYSLER Infinity and GM DELCO products are
    terrible...they should contract out with BOSE, etc...maybe that will help....but knowing mfg's,
    they will have whatever company special make an
    inferior product BUT still charge full price.
    SORRY....this system is very, very poor sound quality. What you can buy aftermarket (ex: Crutchfield, etc) is FAR superior..FAR. The problem..as ALL is aware of is monkeying around removing factory components....nothing ever goes
    back in the same..so, we're stuck. The one thing
    (in my experience) you can do is to simply replace some of the speakers (trunk the easiest).
    The manufacturers speakers are DEFINITELY the biggest "WEAK LINK" in the system...they are beyond "cheap".
  • hijinxhijinx Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, I'll agree with you on that. The stereo is, on the majority of cars, the weakest link. Aftermarket is the way to go, for certain, if you're not throwing thousands of dollars into a "super premium" sound system.

Paul
    Why didn't you try it before you bought it? Nearly every floor model I saw had the stereo upgrade. No reason you should pay extra for something you think is inferior. I also have owned more than my share of new cars. I never paid extra for a music system, and most of the time I felt the systems were o.k. at best, This time I went for the extra expense. This time I finally have what I think is a very very good auto stereo system. I am sure you can get better in an after market system. You probably will pay more also. Bottom line... rate this system against other factory installed system and it rates right up there with the best of them in the same price range. All of this still depends on the ear of the person listening. To call this system "cheap" and "tinny" is a little far fetched. No disrespect intended.
    I just read a possible solution on the 300M board. Check topic #3440 and message #450. May be something. I checked my car and there is an opening there.
    Sorry...disagree...but thats ok. I'll stick to my
    ears & perception of quality. I guarantee you
    (can NEVER prove of course) that these FACTORY
    stereo's are not only CHEAP in sound quality but CHEAP in price. I've had cases where I had problems with a stereo...under warrranty...took it
    back and they simply put in a new one...not bothering to repair. I also agree with the last
    few POSTs on ROAD NOISE. This car does have alot
    of road noise. Now someone can argue AGAIN that how good your ears are on this BUT this car has
    TIRE NOISE and WIND NOISE.....in my book for a
    car of this susposed calipher and the PURE FACT that this is CHRYSLER's FLAGSHIP auto....there should be hardly none! Not being an auto engineer
    I hope someone out there with this type of knowledge can explain this WHOLE CONCEPT of auto
    interior noise. What does it take to COMPLETELY
    isolate niose from the inside cabin??? Thicker
    metal, more insulation, what? How can it possibly
    cost that much more (hell, I'd pay a grand or more
    for a SILENT interior)! I've noticed that a few
    of the Japanese imports (not really that much more
    in price) are substantially more quiet? Why?
  • audioman1audioman1 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to tell you folks this, but most premium radio systems for OEM (not GM)are made by the major players of the after market. Bose doesn't make a radio for automotive, just speakers and amplifiers. Ford uses Pioneer, Lexus uses Pioneer, Porsche uses Blapunkt, Acura uses Pioneer, Alpine, Panasonic, but for some strange reason, Chrysler decided to use Mitsubishi Electronics. Most people are saying, What? Mitsubishi? yeah, major screw up for Chrysler. If you want to upgrade your LHS radio, go with the Pioneer PF4400, and a Crutchfield mounting kit. It will allow you to use the existing wiring by use of a special connector. Upgrade your speakers and enjoy. The sound will make you think your at a concert. I just thought I'd let you know since this page has helped me decide not to buy a LHS. Good luck!
  • mmanson2mmanson2 Member Posts: 4
    My dad owns a 1999 Chrysler LHS and the windows
    started sticking and the drivers power window motor burned out.
    I have found out from the dealer that the window tracks and the rubber at the top of the windows need cleaning and lubrication.
    The dealer said silicone for lubrication.
    The damp moisture gets in the tracks and the
    rubber causing the windows to stick like glue
    in the heat of a hot day.
    Note! This car has never been in a garage, it is in the weather all the time and this might
    make a difference to other people.
    I talked to several Chrysler dealers and they
    have been replacing power window motors a lot lately because of this problem.
    To all that read this, take a little time for
    cleaning and maintenance it helps in the long run.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    mmanson2-

There is a TSB out on this that the dealer can find if he bothers to look in his computer. It was probably issued in late 98 or early 99.

fastdriver
    Great info on the makers of OEM Stereos. BUT, in the WEAK defense of my LHS STEREO...it definitely
    sounds MUCH better than my 98 BUICK PARK AVE ULTRA
    FACTORY STEREO (yes upgraded model!!). It was
    truely LOUSY and embasassing!!! There were sounds
    that I could hear on my daughters 150.00 home
    stereo that I could NOT hear on it....poorest I've
    ever heard....but I did only pay $35K for the ULTRA!
    Hi. Still waiting on someone with the knowledge of
    how some autos have less road noise & tire noise than others (see the last few postings). Think about some of the autos in the 70's/80's...top line models...they were real quiet...why? I gotta
    believe its all that lousy, "thin" plastics used
    today. EX: wheel well shields now plastic vs metal
    before, etc. Add more insulation? Where?
    I like to use the auto temp control in kind of a "set it and forget it" fashion. I had a Lincoln before and almost never adjusted the temperature the whole time I had the car. On my 2000 LHS, it switches from auto mode to manual sometimes by itself....after I shut the car off and start it again....but not always. I shut the car off and it is in auto mode. I later start the car and it is in manual mode. Anyone else experience this? I haven't talked to my dealer yet.
    carnutpa-

There is a TSB on this. Go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov Click on problems and issues under the red car and then click on TSB. Put in the appropriate info and you'll find a "summary" of the TSB. Print it out and take it to your dealer who can put the TSB number in their computer, if they know HOW to use it, and the full TSB will be there.

fastdriver
    I checked the TSB's on the 2000 LHS and don't see anything about my problem. If you can find it, let me know. Thanks for the help.
    It is not listed for 2000 but I searched 1999 and it is there. Thanks.
  • anthony56anthony56 Member Posts: 6
    Got my LHS back from the dealer after the work listed under post #441 and the growling noise is still there. Was 95% sure I had this thing figured out and the dealer must have thought so too since they performed the work. The power steering pump was visibly leaking and they said the water pump was also. Now they suspect a problem with the traction control, but it growls with that feature turned off. It is a very nice car and the dealer is quite reputable. Maybe the growling is nothing to worry about since every Chrysler I ever owned has made some kind of wierd noise. The potential steering rack problem, which is being investigated by the NHTSA, still bothers me
    anthony56-

I THINK the "growling noise" you hear is coming from the Chrysler stockholders! LOL........ Just kidding.

fastdriver
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Member Posts: 17
    I've looked at several areas on Edmunds and have noticed (I think) that you have had postings also on the Jeep Grand Cherokee site. Do you know where it has gone. I know there were complaints on the 99/00 vehicle and they were in the hundreds but I can't seem to find them now. Only 5 are there and you and I both know JGC owners have been SCREAMING about their vehicles. I haven't been on this site for a few days but I have skipped around to the Honda and Toyota sites and my husband and I are about to decide on a Toyota Avalon as our next vehicle and try to dump our 94 LHS, which the local dealer still isn't antying up any money on our third rack and pinion.

Any help on finding the JGC complaints will be most appreciated. We have a vested interest in that site as well as our son has one.

Thanks much.
    marshmallow-

The Jeep topics are in SUV under topic # 2153 and #2381. Good luck! You'll love the Avalon! Have you seen or driven the Solara? That's nice too if you don't need 4-doors! I think that's going to be my next car. NO MORE CHRYSLER products for me as long as I live no matter WHAT they look like!

fastdriver
  • ljoyce2ljoyce2 Member Posts: 3
    There is a great web site (www.allpar.com) full of tech support and info for all mopar products. You may want to post your concerns there. The help and advice you get is terrific. Good luck to all who own LHS's I can't stand mine.
    I am getting a lot of material from chrysler on the extended warranty. I have heard that a dealer will discount but chrysler direct will not. anybody have any idea how much of a discount you can get from a dealer?? thaanks, Tom
    tomjobe-

Try this site- http://www.autoinvoice.com/
    I believe that others have purchased extended warranties here for a LOT less than their own dealer or Chrysler direct.

fastdriver
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    In relation to my latest post under Dodge Intrepid, I must compliment you on your knowledge of websites for TSBs, various car clubs, etc., etc., etc. How in heaven's name do you know all that stuff?

Bob
    marsha7-

Thanks. It's no secret. When you own a car like mine, you HAVE to be well-informed BEFORE going to the dealer so that they don't make an [non-permissible content removed] out of you with their ridiculous statements i.e. they all do that, it's a characteristic of the car, you're the first to complain about this etc. etc. etc.!!!!

With the internet, the WORLD is at your fingertips. Using the right search engines and having some patience, you can find anything you want. I do! I then bookmark them in Netscape or IE and place like topics into a folder for better organization.

I then use this info to help ME and to maybe alleviate other people's stress by sharing what I know or have on hand in these topics.

Like I said, all it takes is patience. Now that I just got my DSL hooked up on Monday, I can find this information even FASTER!! LOL.........

fastdriver
    marsha7-

Mmmmmm.....Dodge Intrepid? I just went back to my placemarks to see what it was that I helped you with and find that I don't even have Intrepid bookmarked. It must have been this topic or the Concorde topic or the 300M topic that you posted in.

fastdriver
    I spoke with someone at DC in Michigan yesterday. Finally, we are reaching some resolution to the problem of the two sheared bolts on the rack & pinion. Honesty is the best policy in this situation and I told the gentleman that I realized this vehicle was 24K miles out of warranty when this happened but since the 2nd rack had been put in at 47K under the extended warranty, we felt the rack should have lasted longer than 27K miles. He wants all of the paperwork for the 2nd and 3rd racks and will see about factory reimbursement for parts only for the 3rd rack. The best case scenario would be full reimbursement for that and our towing charge, which was very high, but parts only we will take. Just FYI, I got absolutely nowhere with the local service manager at Landmark Chrysler in Springfield, Illinois. It was only on Thursday after almost 3 months of stalling when I pretty much lost my cool and the manager gave me the phone number to Michigan. My opinion of the Chrysler products as a whole still remains the same. My attitude towards the local dealer has changed in that the service manager, whom I felt was being cooperative, has ended up making enemies of us. I don't believe he has ever taken this to the local owner of the dealership but we intend to do that via certified mail.

Thanks again to all for listening to my complaints over the past few months. I will probably post one more time to let you all know the final resolution.
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    I guess I'm missing out on all the fun. Since I took delivery of my 2000 LHS last December I have not had the first thing to [non-permissible content removed] about. It has been back to the dealer once, to have the oil changed. There is no wind noise, the stereo sounds great and everything works fine. Road noise is no better or worse than any other car I've owned.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Considering that I read and post on all the Chrysler topics you just listed, and since the LH line of vehicles are almost identical, you are probably right. To me, a complaint or comment about a 300M equals the same on an Intrepid, Concorde, LHS. etc.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and can we expect FASTER responses from you with your DSL service? :-).

One other possibility: in addition to those other LH topics, when someone else has a problem, and you list an answer, I consider you are helping me, altho I may not have been the one who posted.
    marsha7-

Thanks. That's what these boards are all about- sharing our trials and tribulations and trying to help others so they don't have to go through the same crap with their "5-STAR" dealers when they have a problem!

And yes- FASTER responses, when I'm home, with the new DSL!! LOL....

BTW- I did respond to you in the Intrepid topic about your AC. Check it out. It MIGHT help! NO guarantees! LOL....

fastdriver
  • aburns1aburns1 Member Posts: 2
    I have shaking in the front end of my 1995 LHS, but only when the car is at idle. Any ideas as to why? I have had the tranny replaced once and hear that it will be again at 75K miles. I now have about 68K miles on it. I have also read that certain tires make a huge difference in the way the car drives and handles and I need some new tires. What are your recomendations and suggestions? Also, has anyone else experienced problems with the tranny system at about 30K miles and know it will happen again somewhere about 70-75K miles? Is this is Chrylser Defect or what? What about the violent shaking at idle? could it be timing, or something major? I like the car and the way it drives and the fact that it is a comfy car to travel a long distance in, but how many reapirs do I have to keep putting into this? Thanks. Anne
    have the trans fluid and filter changed and i bet the problem goes away.
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    BTW,it seems you know all about Chrysler´s,so would you please tell us all what the future holds for the next gen. LHS and Concorde?
    Since you know everything about them you must have a true and honest answer,if not I´m sure you will find out,and will let us all know.
    Thank you,and I hope you will have the correct answer.
    copperhead1-

I will see if I can dig up anything for you and report back here ASAP. However, I'm going to Vegas all next week, so it probably won't be until the week after.

fastdriver
    I´m also going to Vegas,maybe we can meet there,in what hotel are you staying?
    About the future of the next gen. LHS,it all seems the will no longer exists,there is a word that for 2004 ALL LH cars will be Rear wheel drive,except the lHS,instead of it Chrysler plans to introduce the Charger!

In the mean time I will list you here all the colors for the 2001 model year.

Ice blue,deep saphire,stone white,cinnamon,champagne,black,silver,garnet,shale green.
    Instead of the Ice blue,it is steel blue.
    Thanks.
    About the future of the next gen. LHS,it all seems the will no longer exists,there is a word that for 2004 ALL LH cars will be Rear wheel drive,except the lHS,instead of it Chrysler plans to introduce the Charger!

In the mean time I will list you here all the colors for the 2001 model year.

Ice blue,deep saphire,stone white,cinnamon,champagne,black,silver,garnet,shale green.
  • djv59djv59 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 LHS w/12000 miles has this dull rattling noise while going over bumps or dips in the road at slow speeds. Seems to be coming from all wheels, maybe mostly the rear. The dealer checked everything and can't find it. They took me for a ride in a new LHS from the lot and it does the same thing! (although not as bad as mine) Now they tell me it's a normal sound.
    It's driving me nuts, everytime I pull into my driveway, over the curb it sounds really bad.
    Dealer said park it in the street!! Does anyone have any ideas?
    I received a call from DC in Michigan and they are going to reimburse us only for the rack and pinion part on our LHS. This is much more than I had hoped for from DC but much less than I believe the local dealer owes us. The Michigan rep said it appears that the local dealer tightened everything down under the hood and has overstressed the two bolts on the rack and pinion. Their further belief that this is a dealer problem is that DC has not heard of this happening except for one time before - at the same dealer.

I sent a package of information to Michigan via certified mail and received a very prompt reply. The same day, I sent the very same package of information to the president of Landmark Chrysler, Sean Grant, and as of today have not even received my green card back acknowledging they have accepted delivery of my certified letter.

I told the person in Michigan that I didn't believe this local dealership to be a 5 Star service center and asked how they determine that. He said it is based on the number of customer complaints they receive. No complaints equals a 5 Star service center. So folks, if you don't let your problems be known by DC in Michigan, then they have no alternative but to give all dealerships a 5 Star rating. Seems a bit screwy to me but since they are cutting the check to me, I didn' dispute their word. The rep I talked to is going to forward my complaint of my local dealership to the proper department in Michigan and also with a note that I have heard nothing from them regarding my certified letter.

So for all who are reading this, think twice before you do business with LANDMARK CHRYSLER IN SPRINGFIELD, ILLINOIS. Bob Ridings Chrysler in Taylorville, Illinois (just 20 minutes away) has a far superior reputation and it would be well worth the drive to get much better service. Unfortunately, we kept doing business in Springfield thinking the service would turn around and it never did. And to Sean Grant, if you think ignoring us will keep this thing under the carpet, then you have obviously underestimated the power of the internet.