Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• billgolfer09billgolfer09 Member Posts: 18
    if the report is true that DC will change the Chrysler to a RWD in 2004, they will lose LOTS of sales in the Northern US. The advent of FWD cars has made driving in snowy conditions a piece of cake - especilally up reasonably steep snow copvered grades. On such grades, RWD cars just spin out!
  • StrategoStratego Member Posts: 29
    Part of the reason for DC opting for a RWD LH platform is the recent introduction of advanced stability and traction systems, which have proven to be quite successful in assisting RWD vehicles in snowy and icy conditions.
    Yes, some of the newer stability and traction control systems are great - especially Cadillac's new Stabilitrac. It works very good with a FWD platform. The fact remains, no stability and/or traction control gimmicks can overcome the backend heavy drive problems of a RWD platform on an incline covered in hard, glazed over snow. It just sits there and spins, while a FWD platform (with the weight and drive wheels up front) just walks right on up!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    So, what you are revealing to us is that a Five-Star rating is not something that is EARNED through great service or happy customers, but that it is a DEFAULT rating, which is received, not earned, by not exceeding a certain number of complaints?
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    I bought my LHS used 4 years ago with about 11,000 miles on it. Now has 90,000 replaced a water pump/gasket last year, and just replaced the front suspension - about $600. The steering wheel had a lot of "play" in it, and I'll be giving the car to my 16 year old son in January, so I replaced it. Been a great car and is holding up well.

I've put about 12,000 miles on new Bridgstone Turanza T's,(I drive lots of highway miles, and the second set of Goodyears wore out after about 40,000). Bridgstones are VERY "grippy"; handling dramatically improved, so that might have had a bit to do with the steering. I bought those cause I've had great luck with Bridgstones in the past. They'll last a lot longer that the Goodyears. Only trade-off is tire noise - they are louder, but handling improvement and tire longevity is worth it.

some others in this post have recommended Michelin Pilot tires.

My LHS just got tuned when suspension replaced and it now vibrates a bit while idling in Drive(at stop lights). It smoothes out if I shift to neutral, and still drives great on the highway, so next tune up I'll ask them to fix or adjust. Just got back from a 500 mile mostly highway trip and got 27.6 MPG.

No transmission problems so far - knock,knock!

While on my trip, I looked at a steel blue 2000 LHS and fell in love. I'll probably get a new one in January when my boy gets my car.

I have a 5 star dealer -where I bought the car-thats done most of the work on the car. They seem to charge a bit more, but I 've never had any problems getting something repaired that wasnt fixed first, parts are always in stock, and they know the car and its history. I know some of the folks on this board have had problems with 5 star dealers, but I've been lucky, I guess.

I hope you dont have problems with your new transmission.

Good luck with your LHS

Rob
  • ljoyce2ljoyce2 Member Posts: 3
    I also have the same rough idle at stop lights. Tends to get worse as the car warms up. I have been to several tech support boards, and this is what I discovered; If you have had the fuel rail recall done AND replaced your water pump, this could be the only solution. (Believe me, I have taken my 95 LHS to several 5 star chrysler dealers and they can not fix this rough idle, computer spits out no codes, compression tests fine, it's been a real mystery, but there are at least 7 of us in the country that are on web sites trying to find a solution.) My car goes in next week with these instructions to the service dept.: Get a camshaft alignment special tool #6642 (It is necessary to verify valve timing)The camshaft could be out of alignment in respect to its sprocket, because the rear timing belt cover (water pump housing) and fuel rail recall was performed. One other possibility 02sensor (use scan tool to check performance). The 02sensor can go bad w/o throwing a code, if your idle tends to be worse as the car warms up. Good luck, I will post back with my results.
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Member Posts: 17
    What I put in my posting regarding the 5 Star Rating is exactly what was told to me by the DC rep who called me this past Monday. He is the one who said the rating is based on the number of customer complaints. Now I would hope there is more that goes into a rating such as this other than just complaints. But I think the point he was making to me is that if they don't hear complaints, how can they know there is a problem with one of their dealers? The dealers sure as shootin aren't going to call DC in Michigan and tell them how many unhappy customers they have. Heck, I couldn't even get the Springfield service manager to tell his area rep about this. So how in the world is Michigan going to know if we don't get on the 1-800 number and tell them ourselves?

We got the check in the mail yesterday. Again, I am very happy with the outcome from the company. Much less than happy with the local dealer.

I really wish all of you good luck and happy driving with your Chrysler products. They have looks hands down over everything else out there. I just don't have the confidence in them and that's what I need before I'll drive one again.
    Another probability is that DC will offer AWD packages or models, possibly similar to or utilizing MB's 4Matic system.
  • kennisonkennison Member Posts: 2
    I have driven my LHS for over two years now and have experienced no problems. IMHO this is a great car about 10 years ahead of the competition. The car seems to run and drive better as the miles accumulate. I have never owned a new car with so few problems. I'm impressed.

PKennison
    Re: 1999 LHS report by kennison. I'm really glad to read a post that reports a good owner experience!! There must be tens of thousands more out there who could report the same. I guess either they don't know about this BB or the ones who post are mainly doing so to complain!
    Note: I do find the complaints useful as points to consider. A good example were the many postings of 17" tire problems about a year ago - which seem to have died down. Can I conclude that that problem has been solved?
    Where does the time value in the timestamp on these postings come from? My previous posting was entered at 3:54 PM EST. That would be 19:54 GMT. Is the time value taken from a clock on PST??
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    billgolfer09-

The time posted on the messages here is PST. This message will post as 2:48 PM, but it's 5:48 PM in CT.

fastdriver
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    I purchased my 1999 LHS on Halloween of last year, and I have been mostly satisfied with the car. Here is a list of pros and cons that reflect my opinions about my car:

Pros:

-The car has run perfectly since the day I picked it up.

-The LHS has more than enough power to help me cope with Jacksonville traffic.

-The V6 is exceptionally fuel-efficient on long trips, giving me up to 26 MPG.

-The interior is roomy, even in the back seat.

-The trunk is huge!

-The air conditioner is powerful.

-The seats are comfortable on long trips.

Cons:

-The rear pillars restrict my rear visibility.

-The paint doesn't hold up as well as I would like.

-The black molding on the driver's side front door doesn't completely line up with the molding on the rear door.

-There is no room to work under the hood (probably true with all LH platform cars).
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    Ten months and 15K miles on a Y2K LHS--and not a problem to complain about. Very satisfied with the car, which I think is among the best values of any "luxury" car on the road today. My last cars were a Continental, STS and Aurora, in that order, all of which I liked, but the LHS is the equal of any of them, and about 2/3 the cost of the Lincoln and Caddy, and $5K less than a current Aurora. Huge trunk, especially compared to Aurora and STS. And I liked paying for regular gas during the recent price gouging in the midwest, with Premium up to more than $2.50 a gallon! My only complaint has been a higher wind noise level than I like at above 70 mph. Otherwise, a fine car.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I haven't kept track of what's happening with the LHS/300M for 2001, been too busy with my Sony TiVo, but I'd like to know: What changes have been made on the 2001 models?

BTW, last week I was given a 300M Y2K loaner to drive for a day. Couldn't hardly tell the difference from the LHS, except for the AutoStick, which confirmed that I was right (for me) that I have no need for the AutoStick. It also confirmed that the 300M trunk opening is even smaller and less convenient than my previous Aurora. To each his/her own, but I'm glad I chose LHS.
    Copied from:
    www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b072000.htm

'01 Chrysler 300M

"For the new model year Chrysler will introduce several new features for their flagship sedan. The most noticeable change will be the addition of two new colors, Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl Coat and Black.

There are also several changes to the vehicle's appearance, including a new front fascia, grille and headlamps. They've also redesigned the tail-lamps and added clear lenses. Seventeen inch painted aluminum "Twin 6-spoke" wheels will be standard.

On the inside, a new chrome insert has been added to the shift knob and a Chrysler winged logo is molded into the steering wheel (the horn pad also now meets extended interior head-impact protection that is required for 2003). A second power outlet located in center console is now standard equipment as are steering wheel mounted audio controls. In the back, the center seat now has a 3-point belt. They've also added a fold-out cup holder and storage area to the rear armrest. There's also a new interior color called "Sandstone."

The biggest news is the introduction of a new optional luxury group. It features: real California walnut trim, a wood trimmed steering wheel, automatic outside mirror adjustment when the vehicle is shifted into reverse (the mirrors tilt down to let you see the curb). There's also an electronic vehicle information center, a programmable overhead trip computer, and power exterior mirrors that are heated, have a memory and fold automatically."

Three addenda to this information:

- to eliminate possible assembly line complications, the above-mentioned walnut trim will be standard on all 300Ms and not just those ordered with the luxury package

- exhaust pipes recieve chrome tips

- an emergency trunk release will become standard equipment on the 300M, as it will on all '01 LH sedans

I haven't heard any precise information, but I would assume that some or all of the above 300M changes would also apply to the LHS.
  • autocarautocar Member Posts: 4
    In response to djv59, #481
    I have been having similar noise on my '99 LHS, with about 15,000 miles on it.
    We enjoyed the car immensely on a 2400 mile trip, but my son-in-law noticed the noise when he
    went for a ride. At times it went away, and then
    got louder, so I went to my dealer, where a mechanic took it for a test drive and diagnosed a problem with the steering gear rack.
    This was several weeks ago, and we're still waiting for DC to deliver the part.
    Lastest word is "late this week."
    I'll keep you posted what happens.
    If anyone else has had this repair, I'd sure
    appreciate your input.
  • freddiej2000freddiej2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,
    I'm considering buying a used '94 New Yorker and I want to know a few things. Was '94 the first year for the LHS designation? How do these cars handle at over 100K? I talked to the owner aboout the common problems (noise over bumps, engine shutting down, etc...). He assures me that he's already fixed it himself. Are there any other common major problems with this car? I already checked the title history and everything seems fine. If anyone wants to give me some advice, please post. Thanks.
  • robnjrobnj Member Posts: 11
    Take the VIN down to a dealer's service department that is willing to run the number and see the service history. This will tell you what ANY dealer has done to it over the car's history.
    Make sure that all the recalls have been performed. The latest is the one dealing with the lower control arms. My brother had this done to his '94 LH and it stiffened up the front end. Feels a lot better on rough roads. The most important is the fuel rail o-ring recall.
    The other common problem is with the auto-temp control. They sometimes go crazy and randomly blow cold or hot. My bro had about 3 changed out before it was fixed.
    And yes, '94 was the first generation of the LH & LHS platform.
    What is the asking price?
    The LH sedans were first offered as '93 models. The CC large sedan offerings for '93 were the older Dodge Dynasty, Chrysler Imperial, Chrysler Fifth Avenue, Chrysler New Yorker in addition to the newer Chrysler Concorde, Chrysler New Yorker, Chrysler LHS and Dodge Intrepid.
    Ah, that is right. The LH (Concorde) was '93 and the LHS platform (including NY'er) was '94. At least I got it 50% right.
  • boilerpeteboilerpete Member Posts: 18
    I recently returned from a trip to Cape Cod in my LHS. Averaged 28 mpg and had a great trip. Plenty of room for 4 adults and luggage and ride was super. Only problem with car since Jan 00 purchase was the first station of the CD player skipped. Dealer changed it and no problem. Traded in a 95 LHS with 51K miles that was also a great car.
  • terry230terry230 Member Posts: 3
    Just celebrated 1yr. old b-day of my '99 LHS with a trip to 5 star dealer to fix the illumination of interior lights problem. Sometimes its just the overhead lights, other times its the door lights too. It has occurred several times a day, once a day or not for a couple of days. During the day its not as bothersome as during night driving but it shouldn't exist at all. I did read several TSB's from the NHTSA website noting this particular problem. The service dept. replaced a switch or contact in my door which was suppose to take care of it. Anyway, after having my car out of service for a week, I picked up my car only to have the same problem 4 days later. What gives? Anyone got the goods on this one? TN
    My buddy works at a dealer and he mentioned this problem on Durangos. I think it turned out to be a slightly cracked wire in the door harness. I will ask him about the LHSs.
    Thanks for the info on the possible cracked wire in the door harness from Durango experience. Any other ideas on what's making my 99LHS go hay wire? (post 505)
    It was post #506.
  • cbhinkelcbhinkel Member Posts: 1
    My '99 LHS has developed a sporatic problem. The transmission will not engage in any gear for about 30 seconds, after vehicle has been parked overnight. The happens about once every 2 weeks. Of course, this never occurs when at the dealer's. Any one else experienced this situation?
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    All these reliability issues can be said about DC, but this is outrageous, but of course they weren't DC car's, the were Chevy's.

Check it out:
    http://www.execpc.com/~thor101/impala/
  • jellis3520jellis3520 Member Posts: 2
    I put a post re Chrysler LHS vs Cadillac you might want to read. The LHS is a niche sort of near-luxury car, I think. Not really luxury, but seems very reliable, a little rough around the edges. John Ellis
    As a follow-up to Note #500, I finally got action on replacing the steering rack on my '99 LHS, after contacting Customer Service. The wrong
    version was sent first, but the next day (8/11)
    the correct rack was air freighted to my dealer
    and installed. Feel of the road seems firmer, and
    I no longer hear knocking sounds.
    However, there still is suspension noise at low
    speeds, so I am going to ask the dealer to check
    out a TSB which another LHS owner found was a fix.
    We drove about 1,000 miles last week and got close to 28 mpg, with a very comfortable ride.
  • rbfrazerrbfrazer Member Posts: 3
    In response to 513, I am hearing similar noise in LHS...a low grumbling noise at slow speeds. To what TSB are you referring that was a possible fix and did it in fact fix this problem.
  • djv59djv59 Member Posts: 4
    I'm the LHS owner who had the TSB done to my car for the "percolating noise" in the front end.
    At my request the service manager looked up TSB's on the 2000 LHS, and there it was, under suspension problems. They replaced front strut strikers, The noise is gone, from the front anyway. I still hear something from the back when going over a curb into my driveway or around bumpy turns at low speeds. Still working on this.
  • golden50golden50 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to the individual who posted the address for purchases of CD extended warranties at a discount. I purchased one for my 2000 LHS at a very good discount and, just like DC, this dealership lets you tailor your extended warranty. If anyone interested check the addy,
    www.autoinvoice.com.
    In response to #514, I haven't had time to check
    this out with the dealer yet -- hope to this week -- but I believe the TSB is #020100. Another TSB
    which may pertain to older models with the same problem is #021298.
  • tdob22tdob22 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 99' LHS with 15500 miles on it...have had it in the dealership three times to have front end grinding noise fixed (does this at low speeds)..since then have had the steering rack replaced and the struts including the bearing...after it being in the shop for two weeks (most of which was waiting on parts)..the noise still exists and only gets worse as the car is driven....hate to say this but this car is on it's way somewhere else...as much as I like the size of the car, the interior, trunk room and the overall look...I just don't have the time to keep driving it back to the dealer in order for them to try to "figure" out what is wrong.
    There are a couple of TSB out there,and even a new one for noises in the front suspension,have you tried another dealer??
    Went to dealer today - unfortunately a road test
    couldn't duplicate the sounds we've been hearing.
    At next oil change they plan to lubricate the
    bushings. If problem returns, I'll pass on
    information from djv59 (note #515).
  • 2xlhs2xlhs Member Posts: 1
    How and where can we find out about TSB's for particular cars? I have a 1999 LHS that has been back to the dealer 5 times with the same suspension noise at low speeds. They mentioned A TSB but I'd like to find info on ALL possible TSB's regarding this problem with LHS's.
    I cut-n-pasted this from a previous post. Thanks again to fastdriver for the info.

Try this site. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov Click on problems and issues and then on TSB's. Put in your model car and you'll see a list of the TSB's that have the number that your Chrysler dealer CAN look up on their computers to see the full details of the bulletin.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    daffin-

Thanks for posting this for 2xlhs. I saw that message early this morning and just didn't have the energy to post it again because I did not have it saved. I have now cut and pasted it myself and put it on my notebook for future use here.

Thanks again.

fastdriver
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    We purchased our 2000 LHS in late December 1999 and the car has been trouble free and a joy to drive ever since. The only service performed on this vehicle has been two oil changes and a tire rotation. Even the GoodYear tires have been in perfect balance.

There are two design features that I would like to see modified. The radio function controls are difficult to use when driving and the hump in the rear is distracting especially when checking traffic prior to lane changing.

Both my wife and I love this car and would not return it to the dealer for a full refund. I don't know what we would replace it with that would give us the same satisfaction
  • dormitorydormitory Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 LHS new and thought it to be one of the best cars I have ever had. On Friday I totalled it on some ice and snow--I was lucky and the car protected me. I walked away after a double roll and landing upsidedown on the edge of a pond. I plan to get another one as soon as insurance settles.
  • tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    Where do you live that there was ice & snow already? How much damage did the car have? Were you wearing your seatbelt?
    ...with regard to your most unfortunate accident. I, too, own a 99 LHS, and I would be absolutely heartbroken if I wrecked it. Thank God you were able to walk away from it.
    I was initially interested in the 300M, but came around to the LHS for the following reasons:

1. The LHS has more legroom in the back seat.

2. The LHS has more trunk space.

3. The AutoStick on the 300M seems "gimmicky."

4. I live in Florida, where the roads are mostly straight and flat. Thus, the performance handling package available on the 300M would be wasted on me.

5. Incentives also tend to be better for the LHS. Apparently, DC has a hard time selling them, which is supposedly why they're planning on discontinuing the model in 2003.

Here's what I was giving up by passing on the 300M:

1. The 300M looks "sporty." I affectionately refer to my LHS as the "Great White Whale," although I have yet to spring for the personalized "Moby Dick" license plate. Note that this goes both ways, as I have seen many more 300M's than LHS's pulled over by State Troopers.

2. The 300M with the performance handling package, er, handles better than the LHS (although the ride is slightly rougher).

The best way, though, is to test-drive both, back-to-back, before making your decision. Be sure to also test-drive the 300M with and without the performance handling package, as it does make a difference.

If you are really serious, find a rent-a-car place that offers 300M's or LHS's as available rental models, and drive 'em for a couple of days each.
    I also purchased the LHS,I agree with daffin
  • michael89michael89 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 LHS that has been fine, until two weeks ago when the water pump went out (according to the dealership) and the entire engine now needs to be replaced (5,400). We were driving on the highway and the engine just died. No lights, no temperature indication, no warning. The car has 75,000 miles and has already had the water pump replaced once. I noticed a similar posting (#18) in July 99, and a complaint matching my experience on the NHTSA site. Is this a common problem? What can I do?
  • philf3philf3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a `99 LHS with 30,000 miles. Iam experiencing two problems; 1)shimming in the steering wheel that after 4 times back Iam told it is a defecrt in the tire[s] and I will have to pay 63% of the cost, which I wont mind if it is the problem. Anybody else having problemsd with the Goodyear tires? 2] This morning I started out and the transmission would not shift out of first. I had it towed but have heard nothing yet. Any comments?
  • coronadacoronada Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 LHS purchased in April of this year. I just brought it in for it's 6,000 mile check and I also complained about the car pulling to the left. They rotated my tires and now the car is pulling to the right. Brought it in again and they determined that the tires are bad! Go figure. Chrysler will pick up 100@% of the bill, which they should. I've heard that these are NOT the best tires for the vehicle. If so, why should Chrysler continue to use them?
  • coronadacoronada Member Posts: 6
    I'm the person that just posted with the defective tires at 6,000 miles. I also noticed that, only twice, when the headlights were on, and I always use the auto sensor, that while driving on the highway, the headlights would turn themselves off! And come right back on within 2 seconds. I can hear the "snapping" of them shutting off and turning on" and also notice the interiors lights brighten, i.e., the dash lights. Anyone else have this problem? Because it only happened twice, the dealership could not detect anything. Any advice would help?