Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• coronadacoronada Member Posts: 6
    TVDOLL: I have a 2000 LHS and the inside lights have flickered twice on me when the headlights are on. Tell me about your problem and if it was every fixed.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    While I do not have an LHS, I have noticed that some posters complain about road noise from the tires.

The reason for my posting is because (I drove a 2001 LHS but didn't think it too loud) the LHS uses the same tires as my Intrigue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it uses Goodyear Eagle LS. I just replaced my Eagle LS's with Michelin Pilot XGT H4s. I put H rated tires on mine. The result was a quieter, much more highly controlled and comfortable ride. If the road noise gets too much to bear, I highly recommend the Michelins.

As a side point, I think the LHS is a lot of car for the money. The only thing that I would change is making the left foot rest a little lower to stretch out my leg. Otherwise, I think the car is great. In a couple of years before they discontinue the LHS, I think I'll get one.
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    That´s the way I´ll also go!
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I've been considering a new LHS but my wife is very concerned about quality. We owned an '89 New Yorker and it had all kinds of problems that others had. Just to show I'm not making things up or that they weren't unique to us, the problems were:

1. Failed load-leveling causing rear to sag.
    2. Transmission problems--wouldn't shift out of 2nd.
    3. Air stopped coming out of upper vents.
    5. Car would cut off at a light unless placed in neutral w/one foot on the brake and the other on the gas to keep it going (we did have 114,000 when that started happening but the 3800 GM V-6 goes a lot farther than that)

I really like the LHS a lot. I have been reading about quality on the 300M forum. What I'm looking for is consistant and reoccuring problems. I expect every make of vehicle built (including Lexus) to have problems. But, again, are they 1.) serious, 2.) reoccuring, 3.) something that will get me stranded.

I can tolerate a problem with power windows or AC units. But what I won't tolerate are engine/transmission, brake or suspension problems. Also, for long-term owners, how are the squeaks and rattles? After 50,000 miles are you hearing many/any strange noises?

I want to like this car really bad. Any information you can provide to help me make a decision I'd appreciate it. That includes rants-and-raves and this-car-sucks comments.
    C´mon we have here two totally diferent cars,it´s like heaven to earth!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    one2one-

OR heaven to HELL if you get a bad one combined with a bad dealer.

fastdriver
    True,true!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    copperhead1-

We AGREE on something? LOL.....

fastdriver
    Sometimes you speak sense words!
  • scioli1scioli1 Member Posts: 1
    I'M A RECENT INDUCTEE IN THE CHRYSLER FAMILY, AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. I OWN A PLATINUM LHS W/ ALL THE UPGRADES. I'M FAIRLY YOUNG TO OWN SUCH A CAR. I HAD ALL THE WINDOWS LIMO TINTED, SO WHEN PEOPLE SEE AN EARLY THIRTY MALE GET OUT INSTEAD OF AN OLDER PERSON, THE LOOKS ARE HALF THE FUN. THE OTHER HALF (90%0 IS THE DRIVING. WE HAVE TAKEN EXTENDED TRIPS ALREADY, AND LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. I HAVE A 2 YR. OLD THAT WOULD NORMALLY FILL MY WIFE'S MYSTIC OR MY S10 TO THE HILT W/ TOYS ON VACATION. NO MORE, I EVEN TOOK MY MOUNTAIN BIKE AND CLUBS THE LAST TIME. I READ THESE POSTS FOR 18 MOS. BEFORE BUYING. THE POSTS HELP ME TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE 300M AND MY NEW CAR. NOW THAT I HAVE IT I SEE EVERYONE HAS A 300M.I'VE ALWAYS LIKED BEING DIFFERENT. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP. SEE YOU IN THE VERY FAST LANE
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    I brought my 2000 LHS to a local shop that installs remote starters. The owner told me he installed one in a 300M and when the dealer found out, he was told to have it removed because it would ruin the computer. It had something to do with the wiring harness using fiber optics. Does anyone know anything about this? Can a remote starter be installed in one of these cars?
  • norbertenorberte Member Posts: 6
    I have my 2000 LHS for 7 months now. I absolutely love it. Not one problem... knock on wood. Just did the normal oil change and tire rotation.
    I too was debating on whether to get the 300M or the LHS. I actually went to the dealer targeting for a 300M, but came out with the LHS. I changed my mind to opt for the larger leg room in the rear and the bigger trunk. I gave up the Autostick, however. I don't regret it a bit. I saw all the 300M's on the road. It is nice to be a bit different and unique? :)

Norb
  • aburns1aburns1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1995 LHS, which I really love, but have experienced the same delays as well. When it is cold, it seems to take time for the car to get into gear, then I at times hear a grinding noise when I am backing up. After a short time, this delay and grinding sound goes away. My tranny has been replaced once. I also just threw several hundreds of dollars into repairs this week. The idler pulley fell off while driving and on top of that being fixed, I had the water pump, and timing belt replaced. Beside these recent repairs and previous tranny relacement at 30K miles, these have been the major reapirs for this car. I now have 70K and assume another tranny is in te future.
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    That actually looks pretty cool! Note, though, that my level of interest is inversely proportional to the price.

:)
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I actually prefer the looks of the LHS to the 300M.

Take it from the Chevy guy! ;-)
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Thanks! They are free. If you want an LHS logo, see if you can lead me to a good one on the net somewhere that I could craft a little bitmap from to use. I might also be able to find one on some of the Chrysler literature I have laying around that I can scan.
    I like the way the LHS looks, too, but I don't like cars that big (the 300M is big enough -- I don't need a fat 300M!). It's strange that when I see an LHS I marvel at how large it is, but it's really not that much larger than my 300M.
    Even when there's a big ol' ugly license plate stuck in the LHS' gaping maw?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    A dealer in Virginia has a leftover 1999 Chrysler LHS that is stone white/agate. I am sure it is brand new but two years old. Would this car be a good deal? Here it is: http://www.manassaschrysler.com/Chrysler/220269.html
  • akramonaakramona Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am considering an LHS 2000 model close-out from the dealer. The offer of 0 percent interest for 5 years seems like a good deal, however, I am always leary of driving off the lot. The LHS available at this buyer incentive has the sunroof which seems kind of silly in Alaska as we get little sun here but I am more concerned about it leaking with all the rain and snow. Any comments from anyone who has a 2000 LHS with sunroof would be appreciated. Thanks from akramona
    since I bought the car last April, and as far as I know it's the same as the LHS.
  • akramonaakramona Member Posts: 2
    Thanks scotian, the big day is tomorrow and wouldn't you know, its snowing...guess I won't be opening the roof for the ride home.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Do not install a remote starter on your LHS , it has nothing to do with fiber optics!!. All LHS's come with what is called a Sentry Key, a key with a coded chip in it . Each time you start your car the computer looks to see if the code is correct,if it is wrong or not there it shuts the car down. When they install the remote starter they take a new sentry key and break off the key part and tape it to the code receiver that is on the steering column. By doing this the anti theft system on your car becomes disabled.
    "By doing this the anti theft system on your
    car becomes disabled." While this would certainly be true if a transponder chip was installed near the antenna around the ignition key switch, I think there's a viable alternative.

The remote starter w/ key transponder chip units I've seen have a loop antenna around the ignition key switch and a spare key w/ transponder inside a reader box located elsewhere in the car (the key w/transponder remains intact). As far as I know, the transponder signal from this setup only gets transmitted to the car when the remote starter gets a correct signal from the remote to make the car think it has a key inserted in the switch as the remote starter does its stuff. If a thief does not have either the car's or remote starter's remote, or a car key w/ transponder, they won't be able to gain entry into a locked car.

While the OEM anti-theft system is disabled while the engine is running, the remote starter will keep the doors locked while it starts the engine (I've installed a somewhat intrusive aftermarket car alarm which has to pulse the driver door keyswitch with 3 (or 6) volts which simulates unlocking the door from the outside, turning off the alarm; this does not actually unlock the door as it is apparently assumed that the turning of the physical key in the lock will unlock the driver's door).
  • my2000lhsmy2000lhs Member Posts: 2
    I love my new 2000 LHS. It has about 5000 miles thus far.
    Powerful, comfortable, smooth, great looking, killer stereo.
    The driver side door armrest has broken! Anyone else have this problem?
    The structural shelf under the foam padding has split and cracked.
    I started hearing an occasional SNAP when I shifted my elbow.
    I spotted a line in the armrest pad, found I can snap the broken edges back & forth at will
    under that foam armrest pad..
    Of course, it's getting worse.
    I imagine that big interior door panel has lots of fasteners and wires, and
    I fear the dealer mechanics may never get the replacement fully attached or well put together.

We'll see, I'll take in next week.
    This has happened to me as well in my 300M! Tell me what happens, especially if it is covered by warranty. I first noticed it after I had my driver's mirror replaced. I don't know if there is a connection. sjensen666@hotmail.com. Hey -- you need a custom clock face:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1280646&a=9486000
  • jayteebojayteebo Member Posts: 1
    bought a 96 LHS 6 months ago,and love avery bit of it. the problem that I have is that when I turn the radio on, the radio does not come on right away, it takes about half a minute to 15 minutes before coming on. Any of you guys(gals) had this problem? if yes, what was the problem?
    thanking you in advance. Jayteebo
    Did you get your arm rest fixed yet?
  • trwehnertrwehner Member Posts: 1
    I too am going to utilize the 0.0% financing on a new 2000 LHS for 60 months.

Black on Black with the 4 disk in dash CD player
    the 17" chrome wheels and the power sun/moonroof

all for ...... $27,750

I think it's a great deal, any input?

-T
  • tksatksatksatksa Member Posts: 30
    I've only had my '01 LHS since Thanksgiving. What with garaging and all I haven't had to wash the inside windows yet when I've washed the car.

That is a loooooonnngg reach to do the inside windshield. Does anyone have any tips to offer?

Thanks for your time.

PS - Not much discussion in this group - What's up? The 300M topic is good for new posts every day - aren't the LHS people as enthusiastic about their cars?

We are really jazzed about our LHS - Garnet red w/light taupe interior and chrome wheels. It's beautiful! Great styling! We got our plates yesterday and I hate putting the front plate on and covering the lower part of the grill. But Cailfornia requires it; my daughter got a fixit ticket when she tried to leave the fron tplate off of her Toyota.

Anyway, we hope everyone is as pleased with their LHS as we are.
    Four faces were mailed to three people today, one an LHS owner.

One face has a Dallas Cowboys logo (star & name -- I found it on the net somewhere). Turned out great! If you can find a digital picture of it, I can put it on a clock face.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1280646&a=9486000

• brianr5brianr5 Member Posts: 9
    I've been lurking around this and the 300M topics for awhile. Guess it's time to post.

I agree with tksatksa, the LHS is a great car. Mine's a 2K steel blue with dark slate. No options. I bought it used with 13k miles. I've had it since the beginning of December and I am very happy with it. This is a comfortable, solid performer. I looked at the 300M as well, but I liked the styling of the LHS better. Plus, with two kids need the bigger back seat and trunk. My only nagging doubt is with reliability. Chrysler doesn't have the best reputation, but I figured it couldn't be any worse that the Ford I just got out of - Nothing but headaches.

Anyway, I hope there are other LHS owners out there that are pleased with their cars.

BTW, Here in Texas I've seen people get around the front license plate by sticking it inside the windshield with suction cups. I would worry about visibility though so I just stick mine in the grill like everyone else.
    I would worry about my jugular in the event of an accident!
    I bought my '99 LHS back on Halloween of 1999, and I have been very happy with the car. I had initially looked at the 300M, but when I realized that the LHS was essentially a cheaper 300 with trunk space, I switched. Auto Stick might mean something to those who live up in the mountains, but it means almost nothing to those of us who live in mostly flat areas (like Florida). Plus, the "touring" suspension on the LHS suits me better for our long trips (mostly on I-10 or I-95, straight as an arrow), where the performance handling package option on the 300 would feel wasted.

My only disappointment is that Chrysler is apparently planning on abandoning the LHS as a model when the introduce the next-generation LH class of cars. Ah, well--if they offer an Intrepid R/T in an 8-cylinder RWD configuration, I might have to buy one!

btw, I have given up hope for the 300 hemi convertible--I doubt the Germans will let Chrysler sell a car that outperforms an equivalent Mercedes that costs thousands more.
    I will also be disappointed if Chrysler decides to abandon the LHS. This is a great car that too few people are aware of.

IMO Chrysler has never put any marketing behind this car. I have never seen any TV or print ads for the LHS. I only became aware of it because I stumbled across a ride-and-drive event that was held nearby. After driving the LHS and 300M side-by-side I realized what a great car the LHS is.
    Based on price, performance, content and style this car is a much better buy than the DeVille and Continental, but Chrysler doesn't know what to do with it.

As far as the 300 Hemi convertible is concerned, you're probably right. Even though it is not a car for me, Chrysler could use the image boost. But it will probably never see the light of day.
  • billgolfer09billgolfer09 Member Posts: 18
    After hanging around this BB for almost two years, I took the plunge. Bought a new Garnet Red LHS with only two options: Luxury group and Side Air Bags for $26,241.00 + Sales Tax and Registration. Barely broken in - but I love it.

The Chrysler engineers have really listened since this model was first introduced in 1999. My 2001 model LHS is very quiet (more so than my 1993 Cadillac Deville that I now have up for sale). The wood trim looks very rich. The tires are Michelin "Energy MXV4 Plus" and are very quiet and ride very well. The car tracks beautifully through curves. It has all the luxury features you could want. And it is deceptively BIG! It is as long as (if not a smidge longer) than my Sedan Deville and it has as much interior room - and a HUGE trunk!

The fit and finish on my car is perfect and it looks and is gorgeous! Daimler-Chrysler: I hope you read this because you deserve my compliments. And I agree with earlier postings: You should ADVERTISE THIS BEAUTIFUL CAR instead of hiding it!
  • saudi_princesaudi_prince Member Posts: 9
    Had a 94 LHS that I just traded in. Loved it! However, I had to replace the transmission after 3 yrs.

I'm picking up a new 2000 tomorrow and was wondering if anyone with a 2000 300M or LHS has experienced problems with the transmission.
    Congratulations on your new cars. I think you chose an excellent vehicle. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine. Every time I drive it I am reminded of how much I like this car.

My only complaint is that I have had a problem with my transmission. Occasionally, when coming to a stop from normal speed, the transmission will down shift hard enough to shake the front end of the car. But, as I said in an earlier post, it was a used car with 13k miles. My dealer has looked at it twice and has not been able to fix it. But on the bright side it's still under warranty and they just called to offer me a free loaner if I will bring it in again and let them have another chance. Maybe this 5-star stuff does mean something after all.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck.
  • jeffc1jeffc1 Member Posts: 29
    10,000 miles on our 1999 LHS and no problems so far...
  • nightreavernightreaver Member Posts: 3
    He my boss bought a LHS last year. He said he was so exited with the car, I thought it was a work of art. Well that was until this year I went on the market for a 30K$ mid sized car. I looked at everything from the 300m to the CL type S. Sorry to say guys but I Had to go with the Pontiac Grand Pix GTP. It out matched every car I test drove in comfort, speed, and handling. If you guys are in the market go for a test drive, you'll love the VR Heads Up Display. You'll never have to take your eye off the road around those winding corners. Also i raced my boss in his 2K LHS and sorry to say i wuped his [non-permissible content removed]. My 0-60mph is at 6.4 with 240 horses and 280lbs/feet of tourque...check it out at 26k$ you cant go wrong...
    I'm sorry, but I guess I didn't realize they had re-named this the GTP forum.

You should take pride in being able to "wup" an LHS. Maybe next week you can find a DeVille or Town Car to race.

I don't recall anyone here claiming the LHS was a drag racer. It is a LUXURY car with very good acceleration and handling, outstanding styling (much better than anything Pontiac can come up with), and an impressive list of standard features at a reasonable price, but it's not a drag racer. No, it doesn't have a heads-up display or any other gimmicky features, but that's not what the LHS buyer is looking for.

Go talk racing with the rest of the GTP owners, and leave the grown folks to talk about real cars.
    Ha..funny excuse though. If you take so much pride in your LHS then why refer me to a DeVille or TownCar?? What i think in the back of my mind is "Take pride in your car no matter what it is!!" So what if you dont have the best acceleration or handleing, Thats no reason to refer me to race other Competitors and brag about your biggest competitor Lincoln and Cadi. If you read up in the chat you guys always have something good to say about the LHS compared to the Cadi And Linc. But why now that i brought this up you make yourself look bad refering me to Ford Gm...lol.

Also as far as styling goes man sorry to say but Pontiac always out looks its competitors. Look at the ford Taurus...Yuk its better than the older models but just not right yet. But i give it to dodge with the Intrepid they did a nice Job specialy with the R/T

Hey man sorry i struck a nerve but im a huge dodge fan and I feel that the LHS is million times better than a Ford or Cadi product(personaly they suck) but i was just simply giving you a story and some life in this chat...lol
    I guess my obvious sarcasm was a little too cerebral for you, so allow me to explain. I will try to make this simple so you can follow the logic.

You seemed to get a great deal of joy in reporting that you were able to beat an LHS in a race. This is not a great revelation. The LHS is not a drag racer and was never intended to be one. You took pride in beating a car that anyone who knows cars would expect you to beat since, as I said, the LHS is not a drag racer.

My suggestion that you go race a DeVille or Town Car was a sarcastic attempt to point out to you that there are many other cars that you could race without much risk of being beaten. I never said that either of those cars are better than the LHS. Merely that they are in the same class. They are luxury cars, not drag racers. Unlike you, not all car buyers rate their cars by how fast they go from zero to sixty. Some of us are actually interested in other aspects of our cars.

If you will take the time to read my earlier posts, I do take pride in my car. But Cadillac and Lincoln are still the standards against which American luxury cars are compared. I happen to think the LHS stacks up very well against those two makes considering they both cost over $10,000 more.

As for Pontiac styling, It just proves that you can get some people to buy anything if you stick enough plastic on it.
    Oooh.. big words Cerebral,lol..Hey i guess it worked i did bring some life back into this chat. But the thing is no one else is writing. Ha, brian your the type of person i can tell that always think your smarter than everyone else by the bs.logic talk..lol Ive been jumping around from chat to chat and i say this is the funniest topic ive been through. thanx man you've really made my day.Also like i said before i was simply telling a story, If you got offended by the 0-60 time i do apologize maybe ill put another govenor on my car. As far as styling goes Long after your Vinyl starts cracking my plastics will still be there..lol. As far as buying cars 40% of the time people take a test drive is to find out performance in the car. Its not just to see how that Vinyl smells. :0p

Man you guys are great though i give it to you, Hey atleast you didn't buy a Ford product i give you all the "Pats on the Back" for choosing Dodge. Ok maybe the "Wuped butt" was a little to harsh. But i was mearly saying that the Pontiac has come along way.. If your in the market have a look.It doesnt hurt to take a test drive, you know not all people on the market for Chrysler have gray hair you know.

P.S. Also on that "DRAGSTER" talk you speak so highly of you must be the 40Mph,Right Lane highway driver. No offence :0p
    No, I really don't think I'm smarter than everyone else. Just smarter than someone who would buy a Pontiac.
  • darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    The designs that Chrysler has come up with have "soul" are distinctive, designed by people who love the cars they create.

As usual the other car makers don't have the soul to design interesting cars...only after Chrysler does it...PT Cruiser...Ford Focus trying to jump on the bandwagon a special Focus to compete...GMs AZTEC what dislocated attempt...The (new) super wagons from Mazda, Honda, Ford, GM all inspired by the PT Cruiser...Honda after how many years watching the Caravans etc comes out with the Oddity (how original).

Despite hard times Chrysler has proven itself as an original not a copier over the years.

I hope they keep doing what they are doing and continue prove how good inovators they are...
  • leftylangleftylang Member Posts: 5
    Hey,

I'm 37, married with two kids, consider myself young when it comes to most things and am currently in the market for a car. I happen to think the LHS is a great looking car. Its styling is youthful and the other posts here seem to suggest that people generally like it. BUT, it appears to me that everytime I see one on the road it is being driven by AARP members. Not that I have a problem with that but before I buy this thing I want to make sure that i'm not the only sub 40 person that loves this car. Are you out there? Let me know! Thanks
    Pontiac builds great cars, no doubt, but then they slap all that rediculous-looking cladding on them and ruin the looks completely. Besides, the Bonneville is much closer in size and performance to the LHS than the GP (a significantly smaller, narrower, more nimble, "sports" car).

With regard to questions of age, I am 32, married, with a step-daughter, and we have plans for more down the road. I absolutely refuse to drive a minivan or an SUV, which explains how I became interested in the LHS in the first place. You can look back to my previous posts to see how I made my decision--suffice to say, I have owned my LHS since Halloween 1999, and I have been perfectly satisfied with the car in most every way.
    Lefty, I don't think you should let yourself be stereotyped into or out of certain cars. You should buy a car because you enjoy driving it and it meets your needs. Not because of its image.

I am 34, married, with two kids under 6. The LHS suits us perfectly. In fact, I don't know why more families don't consider this car. It has plenty of room for the kids and all the stuff that goes with them. And it's a lot easier to get them in and out of than a minivan or SUV, IMO. On top of that it has more style and is more enjoyable to drive than any SUV or minivan. But in the end, decide if you like the car and if it meets your needs. Don't be turned-off to a great car by a perceived image.
  • hlth4uhlth4u Member Posts: 2
    I hope not, I'm 36, with no kids, and no plans for any in the future. I've had a Nissian Pathfinder for the last several years, love the room and driving a SUV, but hate the gas mileage. So I'm considering the LHS. I think it is a very sleek and sharp looking car. I personally don't think it looks like a "grandpa car" at all. As a matter of fact, if I saw a grandpa driving it my first impression would probably be he's a pretty cool and youthful man that has good taste!!! It also got my attention because of all the room. Sometimes with my work I need to travel. The room it has in the back seat and trunk is awesome but for me the room wouldn't be used for kids it would be used for product and just stuff, clothes and possibly clients or other business associates traveling with me. I'm trying now to decide on new or used. Have any advice? I also don't want a huge car payment... so probably I will have to go with used.