Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• chryslertmichryslertmi Member Posts: 10
    Why would Chrysler drop the most beautiful large sedan on the road from their line-up?
  • kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    No their not that stupid or are they ............................They probably just change the name and give it that new name and make the concord more of a lhs look a like....
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    DC thought that the LHS was so nice ,for 2002 all Cocncordes look like the LHS. What a deal ,a Concorde that looks like the LHS -SWEET.KJOO -the LHS is now called the Concorde Limited.
  • valhsvalhs Member Posts: 63
    I've been reading this board as well as the 300M board for about 2 months now. I felt compelled to write in. First, ottowrkr, thanks for all the info. you provide to both of our "town halls". Secondly, thanks to everyone for the ideas for enhancing both the appearance and performance of these vehicles, I especially have enjoyed the pix. And finally an observation, that Chrysler has decided to make the LHS a version or option of the Concorde is unfortunate. I have enjoyed my 2000 LHS for sometime. With the addition of Z-rated tires and a K&N filter I have realized every pleasure legally and not so legally allowed on our highways, up to and including the 118mph redline. I picked the LHS because I didn't see four in every parking lot. I picked the LHS because it had nearly every option the the 300M had including the trunk it didn't. I would not have picked a dressed up Concorde. Just my opinion. Thanks.
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    For the past TWO years FASTDRIVER complained about his 300M and ALL chrysler vehicles, he also said that by July he will have a new AURORA, and never more a Chrysler..

I just hope he will always stay away from Chrysler, if he indeed sold his 300M
  • rickgonzrickgonz Member Posts: 87
    BB - your pictures shows the rear lights all red.
    Is that standard LHS? I thought LHS rear lights had the amber turn signals which I've always wanted for my Concorde.

To all those who say Chrysler shouldn't have merged Concorde and LHS lines, I agree.
    But only because I believe the 99-01Concorde front looks beautiful, and the LHS front is just humdrum to me. All I like from the LHS are the front headlights and the rear lights. I just don't like the grill.
    Don't flame me OK, that's just my opinion.
  • rickgonzrickgonz Member Posts: 87
    sorry, looking closer I realized the lights actually do have the amber signals. It's just that the car's in shade made it seem dark.
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    You're right! I was also surprised how dark the lights came out, it took a me a few seconds to realize why the rear end looked different in the photo, until I noticed that the amber was missing. As for the front Grill, I would have liked it a little smaller, but I'm thinking of Chroming the whole thing, which would blend it better with the Silver paint.
    Hey no problem. Glad to help all you LH owners. I guess the reason DC merged the two cars is because they were basically the same car anyway and it cost them more money to promote and advertise two cars instead of one.. Having just one model saves money. They took the best of both models and made one nice car.
    Took my LHS in today for the 30k turn and cough. $250 for brake flush, injectors cleaned, etc. Had a panic attack when I thought they tossed my K&N filter, all for naught. The techs spotted it right away and knocked off 10 bucks for not having to replace it. Truly a 5* event.

Otto, I'm hearing/reading that they will be going to a corporate motor for the Intrepid R/T, 300M and the Concorde/LHS. That the 3.5L is the same motor for all that only the computers will be re-programed for 240 - 255 HP. What are you hearing and more specifically what will the "new" Concorde have? I have read 244 horses, however the dealer told me 248 today.

bb_lhs_2k, I like the additional LHS and will be picking mine up next week. The price info. was helpful as well.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Added the LHS to the trunk of my 2000 to distinguish it from the 2002 Concorde. Cut the LHS letters out of a gold CHRYSLER insignia.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=565759904003_54357130203&US=0&collid=30017130203
    Yes all LH cars will get either the 2.7 200 H.P or the 3.5 . The 3.5 comes in two versions, a High Output and a Low output. The 3.5 low is only used in Intrepid ES and Concorde LX or LXI the H.P on this motor is 234 . The Intrepid R/T uses the High output and it get 244 H.P.The 300 also gets the high output but it gets 255 H.P by using premium fuel.Now the Concorde Limited gets the 3.5 HO but not sure what H.P it gets, its either 244 or 255 . The difference in H.P between the two motors is the low output 3.5 does not have the manifold tuning valve on the intake plenum that the 3.5 HO uses , also I'm sure the engine computer software is different . If you look at the front of the black intake plenum (look were the top rad hose comes off the motor) of the low output motor you will see were the valve has been removed. Hope this helps you .
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    yosito-

A few corrections- it was THREE years that I complained about my 99 300M. I got rid of it 3 months early this past March with 35,547 miles on it because I did NOT want it in my name when it hit 36,000 miles with NO warranty.

I would say that $3,300 worth of warranty work in LESS then 3 years would certainly qualify as a problem car in anyone's book. No need to worry. There will NEVER be another Chrysler product in my household no matter what they look like. Had my "award winning 5-STAR" dealers and factory reps been a little more conscientious in their efforts to rectify my problems instead of trying to convince me that they all did that or that was normal or they couldn't dupliate the problem, then MAYBE there would have been a 2001 300M in my driveway. Unfortunately, this was not the case!

Right now I have a 2001 Acura CL-S- best car I have ever owned!

Hope you can rest peacefully now that you have the facts.

BTW- what do you drive since your profile is rather sparse? Also, were you ever known as pepe here in Town Hall a long time ago?

fastdriver
    The extra LHS nameplate I added looks like it should have been there in the first place. It's real easy to add on and makes a big difference. Anyway, if it helps, the part # is 4805064. The letters come with a sticky strip on top and bottom. Peel off the bottom papers first and keep the top strip on the letters to keep them aligned and spaced out perfectly. After sticking them to the trunk, then peel off the top strip that was holding them together. Voila, done in about 10 seconds. Then I zaino'd them to get the residue of the glue off. Good luck.
    Thanks for the info. I agree it looks as if it should have been there since day one. Also I want to differentiate my LHS from the re-badged Concorde as much as possible. For many it may seem like a minor issue, but for those who truly love their cars it's unthinkable that a car company would rename a body style as a lesser or lower model. To my thinking it's the equivalent of renaming a Ford Mondeo a Jaguar. Oh wait that's already been done as well.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    I just to my dealer to look at the new 2002 Chrysler vans, but I thought all of you might want to know what the new 2002 Concord looks like.

The new Concord looks exactly like the 2000 LHS with the LHS grille and amber turn signal lights. This goes for all trim levels of the Concord.

For a MSRP of $30,000 something, you get the Concord Limited with the white gauges, analog clock, memory seats, wood steering wheel, etc. So for around a MSRP of $30,000, you can essentially get the old LHS with the same looks and all, minus the LHS badging on the side of the car.

Now it says Concord Limited on the trunk lid under the Chrysler wings. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
  • commiscommis Member Posts: 4
    Hi besho, can you tell me where you found the LHA nameplate part number 4805064?
    Thanks for your help
    commis
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    Fastdriver,

It is a shame that your 300 turned out to be a lemon. As bad as it apparently was, you did the right thing in getting rid of it. Unfortunately, even the finest auto manufacturers occasionally turn out a lemon. What matters most is that you are happy with your new vehicle!

Otto,

Thanks for the stats on the 2002 LH cars! I am still enjoying my (trouble-free) 99 LHS, and will probably keep it until the LX cars hit the road. I *really* want one of those 300 convertibles, if they do actually build it! Otherwise, I'll probably have to *make do* with a RWD V8 Intrepid R/T. It's a tough life, isn't it?

;)
    I picked up the LHS plate at the dealer's part dept. Just give them the part #. They had mine in stock already.
    Actually, I'm thinking of adding another one on the front, right over the grill. I'll have to see how it looks like first. I'll post a pic if I do it.
    While catching up on the 300/LHS posts regarding tips for improving horsepower and exterior appearance, I happened to venture into the Chevrolet Impala room. After reading 20 posts devoted to the discussion of the validity of the cigarette lighter and the placement of the coin holder I could not bring myself to read any further. I'm glad that most of the posts here are written by true enthusiasts who are driven to make their cars better. Should I ever entertain a discussion regarding the placement of the coin holder in ANY car I will dutifully surrender my LHS keys and subscriptions to Motor Trend, Car & Driver and Road & Track.
  • golden51golden51 Member Posts: 4
    If anyone finds they aree blowing fuses in their LHS, I unfortunately spent a week with a dealership to find MY problem. After being repaired, unsuccessfully, THREE times, (and numerous part replacing all under warranty) it was found that in the wire harness UNDER the steering wheel an ignition wire had covering stripped by movement of the tilt wheel. THERE IS NO TSB out on this as yet. (LHS has under 10,000 miles) I am now very glad I purchased the extended warranty, at a nice discount, at the dealership found at autoinvoice.com.
    First, I'd like to offer my deepest sympathy to all that have been affected by this Terrible Tragedy. And hope that with the help of God we can start healing and lose the sadness we feel no matter what we are doing.

Lately, the back of the driver's seat has been irritating me a bit. On every takeoff and stop, it makes a popping noise on the upper part of the back. I can actually replicate the noise by just lifting my back up and then resting it. A popping noise both ways. And I noticed that there's about a 1/2 inch play with the back of the driver's seat. I'm the only driver of the car, very gentle with it and I'm about 185 lbs. No clue why it seems this loose. Anyone else with this problem?
    Much like the car, this page has died.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    My 2000 LHS is alive and well!!!!!!
    At least the three of us are still here!!!
    I am still enjoying my 99 LHS, and this message board.
    I love my 2000 LHS, however I'm hesitant to post anything on the LHS page vs. the 300M for fear no one's here. The car continues to please, even more so now with 30K miles. The motor is finally loosening up and with the addition of the K&N filter is truly a joy at every speed. I may be 35 but I drive her like a teenager in an old chevelle. She'll now roast the F1's up to 40 mph until the computer force shifts into second. Unbelievable for a 3,500 lb. FWD car! As I stated on the 300M page she's do for tires yesterday. Looking now at Yoko Avid T4's and Dunlop SP SportA2's.
    I thought I was driving my 2000 LHS a lot (24k miles), but I was glad to see someone else driving it even more. I must admit it is fun to drive, but with the goodyears getting older, the ride seems to be a little harsher with more noise and less cushion, you almost feel any imperfection on the road. I can't wait to change my tires at 30k, I'm leaning toward the Yokohama Avid T4 (heard a lot of good things about them, and the price is really good). Anyway, I wanted to mention that last month I had my tires balanced at a tire shop (dealer was too busy both times I tried) and the stupid mechanics scratched all four of my chromes while taking off the old lead weights, even though I asked them to be carefull. Realy upset me, because they were flawless for 24k miles that I've been driving it. I guess I should've waited for the dealer, but I'm not sure if they would've done a better job anyway.
    32K now and counting. The really scary part is I just purchased it this past November. My warranty will be gone in only a year, oh well. I did purchase an extended warranty from 1source'. After researching many companies both online and bricks and mortar, they seemed like the best. Cost just over $1,000, $0 deductible, bumper to bumper coverage.

Sorry to hear about your rims, I agree with most of the posts here that they are by far the best stock rims I've seen on any car. My 5* struggled with my rims when they mounted the F1's. They're 245/45's and just barely fit the 7" rim. It took two technicians 3 and half hours to mount them. Also gave me a free oil change for not having my car ready when they promised...truly 5*.
  • hifiguy1hifiguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this message. LHS seemed liked the closest thing to a New Yorker, which I'm not even sure they are making anymore. Here's the story. I'm looking at buying a 1995 New Yorker, very clean, leather seats, cd player, pretty much all the high end options. 30,000 miles, only some minor damage on rear bumper. Seller is asking $4000 which seems like a too good to be true bargain. The catch is the head gasket was blown when the electric fan relay went out and owner kept driving to the mechanic where car completely gave out. Head gasket has been replaced, and supposedly no major damage occurred. It has a 3.5 Liter V-6 engine. I've always been wary of 6 cylinders. My current car is an 89 Cadillac Deville with 165,000 and is still going strong(The engine is not the problem here), so I like a car I can depend on for many, many miles with relatively few problems. (Of course, don't we all!!) Anybody with any experience with this engine or car? All help would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford a mistake. Thanking you all in advance.
    I need to move a washer and dryer approximately 250 miles, and I wanted to get some input from folks with LHS towing experience.

Is it easy to fix one up with a ball hitch?

Does towing a trailer with an LHS reduce the already poor rear visibility by an unmanageable amount?

Am I better off renting a van, instead?
  • mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    hifiguy1 --

The '95 New Yorker was a mod of the LHS; which I believe, was only made in '94 and '95. It was dropped due to lack of sales. In base mode it came with cloth seating for six and wasn't quite as plush as the LHS.

I owned a '94 LHS and a more screwed up car I have never owned. In fact, IMHO, the '94 and '95 LHS/New Yorker as a new/used car is a very poor buy. In mine, there were two xmssn replacements, 3 water pumps, and 1 radiator. Numerous rotors and much all round general problems, most of which occurred AFTER my standard warranty ran out.

I would find a different year car. The '96 and '97 LHS were a much better auto.

daffin --

Towing with an LH-bodied auto is not a good idea. First of all, the recommended towing weight is about 1000 lbs. gross or so. That not only includes the load but also the trailer. Secondly, the is NO place to hook on a bumper hitch; it would have to be clamped or welded to the rear axle -- and how would one support the hitch at the bumper?? There is no place except underneath so it would require some kind of custom work, all expensive.

I would rent a pickup truck. Here in my part of VA (Ashburn), I have rented a Ford 350 for 50 bucks a day to pick up patio furniture in Silver Spring, MD.
    A new problem reared its ugly head today. As I was walking away from the LHS I hit the lock button on the key fob twice to make sure it took. On the second lock I heard a grinding noise. Went back to the car to inspect and sure enough, when the car is already locked, the locking mechanism trys to move the lock which is already in the down position thus causing the grinding sound. I tried it manually on the door itself and heard the same noise. Got to get to the dealer quick, I'm at 33K.
    We decided to have my Mother-in-Law drive over in her Explorer to pick up the washer and dryer--they were going to her house, anyway.

btw, I looked into pickup trucks, and I could have rented a Ranger from Budget for $19.99/day on the weekend, with unlimited mileage. If I ever need to do move appliances or furniture like that again, I'll probably do just that!
  • chucknorcuttchucknorcutt Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Chrysler LHS which, on very rare occasion, decides to blink all of the instrument panel lights about two times/second. This behavior may last 10 seconds or many minutes and may happen twice in one day or never occur in a month or more. It may be flashing the other interior lights as well, but I can't recall right now...it hasn't happened in more than a month now. It definitely does not affect the exterior lights and is independent of whether the headlights are set for manual or automatic operation. Shutting the car off and restarting (rebooting?) it does not stop the flashing.

Spoke to the dealer yesterday and got some "Hmmm. We've never heard of that one." However, the gal at the service counter was listening intently and said "Hey, that's exactly what was wrong with my mom's '98 Intrepid. They replaced the instrument panel cluster and lots of other stuff and never did find it. They all think she's crazy. She's gonna be glad at least one other person doesn't think she's crazy. Can't wait to tell her!"

Anybody got a clue? Thanks.
    chucknorcutt-

Several people in the 300M TH forum here have had the SAME problem. Go there and ask or look through the messages from the past several weeks. It's some kind of module that has to be replaced. There might even be a TSB on this. It's an easy fix that your "award winning 5-STAR" dealer SHOULD have known about, but like most Chrysler dealers, they ALL play DUMB!!

fastdriver
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Is no news actually good news in this case?

I needed a nice winter vehicle, so I just picked up a 99 LHS with all the available options and 35k miles on it for $16k. I added $935 for an extended D/C full coverage plan good for an additional 3yr/36k.

The best part was that I got a 5.9% rate on the loan.
    Nice car for a winter vehicle!!. Enjoy those heated seats.
    Best $16k vehicle I ever bought!

The best part is that you can't really tell just by looking at it if its brand new or 3 years old.

I wonder though, how the value of the LHS will decline now that they are going to call it a Concorde Limited or whatever it is going to be...
    But who knows , LH cars never really had high resale value anyway.
  • citycab1citycab1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 LHS. It has 40,000 miles. The other day I started the car and heard a loud noise. It was one and a half quarts low on oil. When I started it, it sounded like it was almost out of oil. I have drove the car 4,000 miles without changing the oil but I don't think that a car with only 40,000 mile should be a quart and a half low on oil. I wonder what the problem is.
    2 common things that could contribute to using oil and still be considered normal: Hard Driving, and/or using Synthetic Oil.

I use at least a quart of synthetic for every 3000 miles in my Corvette, but that is due to hard driving and the fact that synthetic is designed to work this way.
    I have used synthetic oil in my car for the last 8 years and never have I ever been a quart low when it get changed. I change it every 4000-5000 miles.Seems to me your vette burns oil?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I just started a new topic in Town Hall and think it should draw lots of interest. The title is:
    "Mechanics: Horror Stories." I bet all of you have had at least one bad run in with a dishonest mechanic. Please post your horror story under my new topic. I hope to see this topic in the top ten list with your help to get it going. Here is the link: easyrider300m "Mechanics: Horror Stories" Oct 28, 2001 1:54am---Ok, Guys--start your postings
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I finally installed my custom airbox (which reminds me of a lunar lander) and all of its plumbing, and it works like a charm! While I get the desired deep throaty growl while accelerating, it is no louder than stock otherwise. It also feels more responsive.

The box:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55243320&f=0

Final install:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55718914&f=0

Plans:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55785794&f=0

Old v. new:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=54971393&f=0

I have ordered two digital thermometers from JCWhitney so I can compare the temperatures between the inside and the outside of the airbox.

This has probably been asked before but, why won't the Infinity stereo system in my 99 LHS play my burned CD-R's? All my other vehicles play them just fine.
  • kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    Hey i know back then i mean i heard from a chrysler dealer that the concord limited would be the LHS. After spending a week in NY and driving my mother i must admit it a pretty nice car fro 29000. Personal i like my dads RX300 too......The LHS would be perfect if it wasnt a chrylser.....No affence i drove the TOWN&COUNTRY Limited awd and love it but with my family dwindling down i dont think its right for me....
    KJOO Manchester MA
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Don't know why you cannot play your burned CD's in your car, I have a 2000 LHS and the Infinity in dash CD changer plays mine with no problem.
  • binubinu Member Posts: 81
    The infinity stereo on my 1998 concorde lxi also plays 'burnt' CD-R's, without a problem.
    joelis-

I think I read somewhere that certain BRANDS of CD-R's won't play on certain CD's. Try a different brand and see if that solves your problem.

fastdriver