Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• hanna5858hanna5858 Member Posts: 6
    You can get an online service manual. Go on ALLDATADIY.COM it runs about $24 for the first year and $14.95 for renewal years. It shows the location of the belts and tensioners. This is very tough to get at from under the car. My suggestion is to open up the upper radiator support as you would to remove the radiator fan. With this opened up, it's quite easy to work on these belt replacements. I have saved $1000+ doing my own repairs using this manual over the last 3 yrs for my 99 Concorde Lsi. I've replaced my radiator fan, belts ,hoses and antifreeze this week; a $900+ dealer job for less than $200 . I also did brakes and replaced the brake booster since I've owned this car. Also for the post on transmission problem this car has a common problem at about 70,000 miles. The car develops a transmission problem. This happened to me. I got an engine error code for a transmission input speed sensor.The part cost $25 at your local after market parts store ex. Auto Zone , very easy repair with a pair of vice grips unless you have the special socket to remove the old sensor and replace it with the new part. The car shifts like new. Again, the manual shows the location of the part. This is very common to this vehicle. Can you imagine how much a less than honest transmission shop would charge? Good Luck! A little patiences and a good repair manual and you too can save thousands of dollars. Hanna5858
  • vanbcmanvanbcman Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1999 Concorde LXi after being very happy with my previous 1995 Concorde. Heres my problem ... the AC has stopped working and on certain settings I can here a whistling noise from the dashboard when running either the heater or AC (which has stopped working also). Any ideas on what to check before I take it to Chrysler? And should I take it to an AC shop instead? I am wondering wether the dash has to come off or what. Other than that it is a great improvement over the previous model (which was pretty good too!)

Thanks.
  • dixieistadixieista Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help! He did purchase a repair manual and it helped alot. Got both the belts changed for very little money and some time! Thanks for the heads up on the the input speed sensor!

Libby
  • atyaagunatyaagun Member Posts: 2
    1998 Concorde LXI - Have the same problem. I didn't take the time to investigate the problem.

Best of luck.
  • atyaagunatyaagun Member Posts: 2
    Concorde LXI 1998.
    I don't know if my problem is similar. But here is my story.
    Last December, my car didn't start. Since my battery was 4 years old, I thought it was due for a change and I went to Wal-Mart bought a new battery.
    3 days later, the battery led came on, and Wal-Mart installed a new battery (covered by the warranty).
    I had the same problem with this 2nd battery and at some point the car would not start at all, but would if jump started.
    I tried jump starting the car using the installed battery by performing the following. I run a cable from the battery positive plug (not the positive contact which is visible at the "top of the engine", i.e. you need to remove the air filter box to access the battery), to the fuse box positive contact, and my car started.
    CONCLUSION: My battery cable was bad, the one that runs from the battery positive plug to the positive contact which is visible at the "top of the engine".
    I have changed this cable and I don't have the problem anymore. It cost me just 5$ (part)...

Best of luck.
  • jake_cool4everjake_cool4ever Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I just bought a Chrysler Concorde 1999 from an auction (I was more of forced into buying it), anyways, I got it for $4000 and it has 136,000. The car's engine "looks" good, but then again I don't know anything about engines. Interestingly enough, when I started the car and moved my gear to 'D' I realized that it was really hard to do and I had to apply some force. But, the guy who sold the car said that it was a minor problem and could be easily fixed.

Anyways, just after fifteen minutes of driving the car in express way, I had to hit the brakes b/c of traffic jam, but when I let go of the brakes and hit the accelerator, the car wouldn't move. I thought the engine was down, so I tried turning off the car and turning it back on. So, I moved my gear to 'P' and I tried to get it to 'D' and accidently it went to '3' and got stuck there. I tried getting it to D or P for that matter but it wouldn't budge. My brother got really scared and tried to push the gear really hard and I don't know what happened (I think it broke) but the gear would move but the car's indicator wouldn't change from '3' to anything. So, we were stuck on the express way. The car's engine wouldn't start and we had to get it towed.

Can anyone give me suggestions of what happened, or how much will it cost. I am really worried. Please help and reply soon.

Thanx
  • kbzkbz Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 chrysler concord and it will not start. I thought it was the battery, but when i put a new battery in, the power still continued to flash. Furthermore, the engine clicks perfusely when trying to turn it over, the car will not start. SOME PLEASSSSE TELL ME WUTS WRONG!!!
  • bigchangerbigchanger Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering to buy a 97 Chrysler Concorde LXI (3.5L) with 75,000miles
    The seller told me that he hasn't replaced the timing belt and he has no
    manual to check what's the recommended milage to change it. Could anybody
    do me a favor to check your manual for this? How much should I pay if I
    have to replace the timing belt for this beautiful car?
  • dross1dross1 Member Posts: 1
    I forgot how to do the on-board thing. Have to push the rear defrost and hold something. let me know! Thks
  • fitethefiresfitethefires Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 concorde and the cd changer no longer has power the car did not have a manual. Can any one tell me where all of the fuses are.

Thanks for any help anyone may have.
  • blahzeyblahzey Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Chrysler Concord with 123,000 miles on it. I get heavy exhaust when accelerating from a stop. probably a valve going bad (just had the pcv valvereplaced by dealer). I drive the car about 1,000 miles per month, seem to be burning about a quart of oil per 1,000 miles. Do you think the car will last another 12-15,000 miles?

Thanks.
  • frmula305frmula305 Member Posts: 1
    There may be a fuse on the cd changer itself, otherwise it woud probably be in the fuse panel inside the car or the fuse box under the hood.
  • rockinronrockinron Member Posts: 1
    I had my concorde shut down on me the other day while driving on the freeway. When I tried to re-start the engine it cranked a lot but had trouble catching. When it would catch it didn't have any power. As soon as I gave it the gas it would stall out.... After sitting for about 45 minutes I cranked it and it fire right up. it ran fine. (there were no leaks, no over heating problems. I got no noticable warning signs before it shut down. ) I've been told that the PVC Valve can cause this...
  • maejaemaejae Member Posts: 1
    My car has been dropping into "limp mode" for about a week (94 Concorde). I have replaced both speed sensors and the TCM as well. After replacing the TCM the car would drop into limp mode even sooner than before the replacement. After I turn the key off and on (usually up to six times) it will run and shift great! Do I need a new tranny or does anyone have any other solutions? Any help is greatly appreciated. MaeJae
  • vimeltonvimelton Member Posts: 1
    I'm a "poor ole widder woman" of 72 trying to deal with car repairs and repairmen for the first time in my life. My '93 Concorde has 125,000 miles on it. It has developed a problem that my service people can't seem to identify. It "stutters" or jerks. Actually, it feels like it's trying to "choke out" if that makes any sense. They've put in a new fuel filter and thought that would fix it. It didn't. Today they put new spark plugs and wires on it, but that didn't solve the problem. I'm thinking it can't be bad gas, as it's done it through several tanks bought at different dealeres. I'm taking it back tomorrow for them to check something called the "coil pack". I have no clue what that is. Thought I'd see if any of you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
  • exileexile Member Posts: 6
    What is proper idle RPM for Concord LXI 2004 ??? Thank you.
  • gvsulakers07gvsulakers07 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I the "Malfunction Indicator Light" turned on and i think its for my transmission control systems. I have a 3.2L engine, automatic transmission and it was jolting when it shifted gears before the light came on. I drove it home, but it wouldnt go into 3rd gear. The light doesnt blink (so its not the catalytic converter), it just stays on when i turn the car on. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it before I have to bring it in to a shop and pay lots of money to get it fix (money that I dont have)?

Thank you,
    Poor College Student :(
    My Concorde developed vibrations .Sometimes you can feel them between 40-45mph , 50-60 mph & 65 mph.On lower gear seems like transmition shifting in shooting manner occasionally.Dealer can't duplicate problem. No error code. Brand new tires-ok. Suspension & steering components checked - ok.When I loaded 4 people those symptoms multiply to degree that I was thinking that something gonna break between front wheels . Dealer took for service but they said that they did nothing. But for some reason car seems like working little louder and when you push accelerator is more responsive.Dealer states that they did nothing??? After this service i could not duplicete problem with 4 people.I took 3 from dealer for ride. When we turned in little street on lower gear was like "boom".They did not feel nothing. I am loosing my mind??? I am fighting with them about those vibrations for few months right now.They claimed tires bad.I did buy 4 brand new "Eagle GA".Two of them exchenged because were bad. New front rotors.Only 30000 miles.I have those vibration from 22000miles.Nothing can be done ???
  • blueyes825blueyes825 Member Posts: 6
    is there anybody who can help me out with performance mods and upgrades for my 98 concorde? i want stuff mainly just sound sand style, i wanna work with the sound system and a few little other things. an anybody here help me? :confuse:
  • dsequeiradsequeira Member Posts: 1
    I had similar problems with my 99 Concorde twice . I was driving at 65 mph and suddenly the check engine sign turned on and the speed started to drop from 65 to 10 . It was crazy experiencing something like this on the freeway . Surprisingly , by the time it was towed to the mechanic , it would start up right. I had the car checked for leaks etc ..had the fuel pump changed and I everytime had to shell out $350-400.One day the battery just died .Had it replaced and now it runs great.I havent had the problem for over 3 months now .
  • r3wbar3wba Member Posts: 1
    Open your left drivers door. The fuse panel is located behind the removable panel at the left side of the dash. The cover pulls off ..it is attache with clips.
  • hatboro89hatboro89 Member Posts: 1
    I am brand new here, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I have an 02' concorde, that seems to have major overheating issues. No matter if I am on the highway or just in town, after about 10 minutes in the car the needle goes up to high and the light comes on. Just today I had the raditor system flushed since the two colors of fluid go mixed some how(forgive me I am a woman who knows nothing about cars...just frustrated that I can not turn on my air conditioning!!!)

Can any one help!! :confuse:
    Do not drive when overheating.Aluminium engine you gonna demage.If you have two fluid colors mixed probably problem is more than thermostat.What engine you have ??? Engines 2.7 have big oil sludge issues .Go to www.dontbuyone.com for more info.Be careful with dealer & warranty.Good Luck.
  • gatomcatgatomcat Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1999 Chrysler Concorde with a 2.7 engine, I now know I should have gotten a 3.5 engine instead, not long ago with 76,000 miles. I have not used it much but am starting to. When I have been driving it for a while & gets hot it will 'die' or 'stall out' at the light or when I slow down. Sometimes it will start back up or I will have to wait a few minutes before I try again. It makes no difference whether I have the A/C on or not. I have put a new battery in it and have had the positive battery cable checked. Another computer was installed and it made no difference. Can you give me an idea what I can do now.
    By the way I had trouble with the AC not working only to find out that the driver side front fan motor went bad and knocked out the current needed to get the compressor to work. Once I replace the fan I have had no problems.
  • hanna5858hanna5858 Member Posts: 6
    You may have the problem fixed by now. If not go to message 1023
  • chiachia Member Posts: 2
    1997 concorde .. right turn signal went out.. replaced fuse still won't work, sounds like a buzzing in steering column. they want 350 to put in a kit. I can not afford this! Someone .. help
  • dan203dan203 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure this out? I just started having the same problem, but I can not find a fuse specifically for the CD Changer.
  • catkins1catkins1 Member Posts: 3
    I've got a '96 with 130,000 on a 3.3. I love this car, but I'm having fuel-line problems, too. I've been told to change the pump, but this doesn't seem like a mechanical problem to me.

I can drive 70 miles without it acting up, then it'll start giving me fits. I can shut it off for 60 seconds and it'll stop with the fits. It's like rebooting a computer that gets jammed up.

And it seems like it gets worse when the outside temperature -- not engine temp -- is hotter. Here's a for-instance: I work evenings. The outside temp is way up when I leave for work, I have to stop at least once and "reboot." Then it drives just fine. On the way home, after the sun goes down and the temp is down 15 to 20 degrees, I have absolutely no problem. I just don't understand this.

The codes say I've got a downrange O2 censor failing. I don't know if this is related, but this seems more like a vacuum prob to me than a mechanical prob. A certified Chrysler mechanic friend says it's the pump. I just don't see it the same way. And here you've replaced your pump and the car still acts up. I don't want to spend a couple hundred, too, just to find out the pump wasn't the prob.

Did you ever get a helpful response to your query, Ralph?
  • castorcastor Member Posts: 1
    I've already spent 2,000 dollars on a concorde '93. The evaporator was replaced and( I suspect either the mechanic is stupid or the car is just old) driving became hell. First, the car shuts down while driving, evaporator still didn't work, check engine comes on and disappears, the C, H , meter is in the middle is this safe? I just don't know what's wrong and I don't want to be taken as a sucker anymore by preying mechanics. Sorry Im woman and I really look dumb when I talk to them even if I pretend I know something. PLS HELP! btw, the gas balancer if that's what you call it was replaced, ignition was replaced, I already used fuel injector/booster. and still the engine shuts down. ">
  • christian3christian3 Member Posts: 1
    well it all starts with information... go to the auto parts store and buy a good car book based on your year and model. Or better yet buy a dealership repair manual for your model and year. Then buy a plug in computer reader $50. Then you can read the computer fault codes. Next you will most likely start replacing sensors. Starting with those called out in the fault codes. Your manual will tell you where they are and exactly how to replace them. I found a bad crankshaft sensor in my car doing what you described.
    Yip. A good manual is key. I like Clymer manuals: they tear the car down and record everything as they go, then print it for us backyard mechanics. They are money- and timesavers, and cost between $10 and $15. I will purchase one for my '96 this payday.
    Of course, Christian is right about the real shop manuals. I have hard time reading them, though.
    You seem to be experiencing the same probs with the car shutting down as I am. My engine light never goes off (a guy I work with has a '97 and THAT light never goes off, either).
    And fuel-injector cleaner, as well as STP-type stuff, didn't help at all.
    Questions: What's this evaporator you had to replace? And what's this "gas balancer"?
    If your temperature gauge is in the middle -- preferably just below middle -- you're fine. Mine stays just below middle unless I'm stuck in traffic, but I've never seen it go above middle.
    Also, every now and then when the engine gives me fits, the fuel gauge will just stop working. It will go to E and the little fuel pump will light up on the instrument panel and I'll be able to drive. It's friggin screwy.
  • slashdot87slashdot87 Member Posts: 1
    My mechanic is having problems and I am too! I took the car to the shop to fix the AC. This required them to take out the entire dash. When I picked up the car, none of the dash gauges worked at all - no tach, fuel, speed, engine temp, etc. They have had it for a week and have not been able to determine the problem.

Any suggestions?
    None that would be of benefit to you, sorry, except one you've certainly already thought of: Try to make those idiots cut some biiiig slack on the cost of repairs b/c of their screwups. Good luck.
  • bigguy3bigguy3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 04 Concorde Limited with 12K miles. I really like the car, but I got in it yesterday and it wouldn't change stations, go to cassette, or to CD. the sound controls worked on the steering wheel and deck, but nothing else. Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to have the radio clock stay? The manual says take it to the dealer and they can fix it. If it is simple to do, I would rather do it.
  • ccastleccastle Member Posts: 2
    car has two cooling fans, two relays, a hi/lo and a hi, when the hi speed relay closes only one fan goes to hi speed the other drops out. If I pull the hi relay they both operate at low speed. Car has got hot two times this past week, though the temp. was pushing 100. Thermostat works ok. IS THIS NORMAL OPERATION FOR THESE FAN'S??
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    According to my 2000 service manual, the fans are two speed and simultaneously activated.
    The inputs to the PCM that influence fan operation are: Coolant Temp Sensor, Intake air temp Sensor, Output speed sensor, Transmission Oil Temp Sensor, and A?C Pressure Transducer.
    The PCM switches the fans on thru the two relays in ythe PDC, a low speed relay and a high speed relay.
    You may have a bad connection in the wiring between the two fan motors or a bad fan motor.
    A few jumpers would tell which.
  • losemymindlosemymind Member Posts: 5
    Hi there,

My wipers just stopped working. We once had a problem with the linkage having to be reattached. It doesn't make any noise when I try to turn them on. Could this be the linkage again? If so, where would I find it on a 93 Concorde to reattach it or could this be something else. It's suppose to rain tomorrow so I have to figure something out. Any help is appreciated.
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    Had the exact same problem with my '01 Concorde ... wipers were the only thing that stopped working. A neighbor told me to check for a blown fuse. That was the issue, and it turned out to be no big deal at all. 25 cents later the car was working fine again. Good luck. :)
    That would be great. Where do I find the fuses in the car? Under the dash?

Thanks. :)
    My luck. Unfortunately, I checked the fuses which are on the lower left side of the
    dash and says fuses on it...and it's not the fuse. Checked if any of the wires were unhooked but they are all attached. I have a feeling it's the wiper motor. Any idea what I'd have to pay to get that changed? :(
  • jacklordjacklord Member Posts: 1
    My 99 concorde lxi just did the following: car overheated to red zone while driving (and while parked), with and without AC on, when overheated began spewing freon from outlet valve on rear of compressor. I turned car off immediately. Any ideas?
  • dangermousedangermouse Member Posts: 1
    Mine (99 Concorde LXi - 152k) just did the same thing - well first part. Had to replace both radiator cooling fans (assembly - $170 aftermarket). At some point one had failed and I had not noticed as the engine ran fine. The second one must have failed recently as my AC didn't work - turns out this fan (passenger side) also has the AC cooling coil.

It was drivable in traffic, only with the heater on at full blast, pulling hot air from the engine.
  • 93concorde93concorde Member Posts: 1
    ok my bro drove this car it begun over heating it was never driven while too hot , but it got close,, it sat for a few months , the fluids leaked out , when i put fluids in it drove nice , just that they leaked out over night , im around chicago, north burbs any one near by wanna check it out see if it can be fixed ? any suggestions on whats wrong ? please feel free to email me any inexpensive engines out there ?
  • audaxgroupaudaxgroup Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the problem the computer is indicating? I turn the key on/off on/off and it blinked in a pattern of 3's. The car seems to be driving weird when I step on the gas and idles rough.

Also my A TC unit gave me a code 36. Right now the Climate control unit isn't functioning at all. I change the fuse but it kept blowing. I notice water leaking behind the passenger side dash when I went through a car wash. I notice to drain area under the wipers was block by a plastic object so I removed it. No more leaks Any help would be appreciated.
  • riot280riot280 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to the site and hoping I'm in the right place. I have a 2002 Concorde (obviously) with the 3.5 H/O and love it. Last weekend someone backed into the right front and damaged the fender, bumper and headlamp assembly. The only way to get at the headlamp is by taking off the bumper. Does anyone know where I can get how-to directions for this? The bolts aren't the concern, its the clips.
    Thanks!
  • lturner1lturner1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 99 Chrysler Concorde LXi. This car drives great and everything seems to work perfect until in the middle of nowhere I have a problem.

1st time: One day while driving through an intersection, it dies and I coast to the curb and it starts right back up and runs great for about 3 weeks.

2nd time: The car wont start at all. I turn the key and it doent make a sound or do anything. Then after doing this 3 times, it fires right up and runs fine.

3rd time: About another 3 weeks go by and I am on my way home from work and the car acts like it is going to die and jumps and then runs just fine.

It has been running great ever since, but it has only been about 3 weeks. I have no idea what to do about all this. Can anyone give me any advice or tell me what it could possibly be? My gauges say everything is fine.
  • riot280riot280 Member Posts: 2
    It may be the ignition switch (on the steering column). We had problems with our '93 not starting and our mechanic couldn't figure it out so we took it to the dealership. They knew what it was immediately because it was a common problem for that car. Our other mechanic was looking for the typical mechanical problems, not a switch.
  • bmwmarkbmwmark Member Posts: 3
    Can Anyone tell me where the temp guage should read normally on a 2000 Concorde with a 2.7L engine? I just bought one with only 14K miles for $10K. I am worried I got a lemon. Temp guage reads between half and three quarters in normal driving with a 65 deg outside tempreature. Thanks.
  • bmwmarkbmwmark Member Posts: 3
    What range does your guage normally show? I just bought a 200 and it seems to be between half and three quarters. Is this normal??? Thanks
    Hi there,

We took our Concorde into the dealer because the Heater/AC was turning on by itself full blast and try to turn on the AC which hasn't worked for years. Anyway, we asked them to check if this is possibly a sensor problem. They told us that it couldn't be the sensor and that it was probably the on/off unit that had to be completely replaced at an $800 price tag (parts/labour). We told them not to bother. We went to a scrap yard and bought a refurbished one for $200 and brought it to our regular mechanic. When they replaced it, it still did the same thing so they removed it and put the old one back in. We brought the part back to the scrap dealer and told them that it doesn't seemed to be that part as they told us that the part definitely works. So we bought a sensor to try out but that particular sensor wasn't it either. Our mechanic is going to put it up on the machine to see what it says because the dealer said they didn't see a sensor problem but we'd like to check with someone else. Has anyone came across this problem with the Concorde? :confuse: