Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    I guess you should avoid FIRESTONES!!! I've heard in other forums here (tires) that Michelins (Pilots) are good, maybe less durable than Goodyears, but somewhat less road noise and better handling. Check out tirerack.com for various options.

If you are having a mushy ride you may need to check inflation. Be sure to do it on COLD tires - HOT tires will give a higher reading (higher temp = higher pressure).
  • steve243steve243 Member Posts: 2
    I've never owned a Chrysler product and am seriously looking at a used 1997 Concorde LX. It has everything on it except the sun roof and only has 32,000. Appears to be in excellent condition and the price is good from what I can tell. Any comments or concerns I should know about the 1997 Concorde before making a purchase decision? Thanks.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    steve243-

The best thing you could do is to have the VIN number of the car run through a Chrysler dealer's computer to see what, if any, warranty work has been done on the car. They should have no problem doing this for you. It only takes a few minutes. Then you will have a better idea about the car's reliability.

fastdriver
  • steve243steve243 Member Posts: 2
    fastdriver -

Good idea to check the VIN number history. I've been getting company cars so long I'm not used to buying one on my own. I appreciate your response. I noticed your profile says you will never buy another Chrysler car -- that doesn't sound too comforting for us "never bought a Chrysler before" folks!

steve234
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Fast driver LOVES his 300M!
    copperhead1-

I DO! It's the jerks I've had to deal with getting it fixed that I can't stand! IF they had handled things differently from DAY ONE, instead of coming up with EXCUSES for legitimate problems, I might feel differently. However, that was never the case!

fastdriver
    I agree with you,all those 5 star dealers are s..
  • dandee32dandee32 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Concorde with 31000 miles on it and recently noticed a vibration at various times and under various road conditions. I took it to a dealer and he said the inner tie rods were "worn out." The dealer replaced the tie rods and realigned the front end (which is required according to the service manual), at considerable expense. This may be the cause of your vibration problem. I was shocked to learn that the tie rods were "worn out" at 31000 miles. Would think Chrysler should have improved the design by 1999 though.
  • srinacarsrinacar Member Posts: 14
    Just a heads-up for anybody considering buying/leasing a Chrysler. My experience has been pretty well documented here over the past 10 months, but now I am not allowed to discuss the details of the resolution of my problem. So, I will just say that the 2000 Concorde that I leased for three years is no longer in my hands, and if you are thinking that a certain sour, yellow citrus fruit had something to do with it, you are correct. So, without going into the details of my resolution, I can tell you this....the poor quality of the cars Chrysler builds pales in comparison to the pathetic level of customer service they provide. Five weeks after I was absolved of any obligation under the lease, Chrysler Financial was kind enough to report on my Credit Report that a payment is overdue. This happened despite the fact that I spent several hours on the telephone explaining and offering to fax documents to prove that I no longer owe them any money. Chrysler Auto, Chrysler Financial and my local Dealership insist that they are all separate companies, so somehow they think this justifies the fact they their failure to handle routine business among themelves result in such harmful consequence fo me. All this despite the fact that I tried desperately to avoid this predictable event. The question is..."Is DC so bad that the right hand cannot communicate with the left, or have they simply retaliated against a consumer who did not stand for their BS and ultimately forced them to $tand by their product?" Either way - is this a company you want to do business with?
  • kiss2kiss2 Member Posts: 3
    The answer is YES!

I'love my Concorde, and I' will buy the other DC products in the future!
    You had a bad time buddy! Give it up! There is so many other car's available in the market!
    I' hope you will find the better car for you!
    Good luck!

kiss2
  • tksatksatksatksa Member Posts: 30
    I've been lurking here reading your messages. I'm interested in a new Concorde. I rented a 2000 LHS over the Thanksgiving holiday and I was impressed with the car. However, I really like the looks of the Concorde better (they're not changing anything for 2001, are they?) I'm expecting the difference in performance between the LHS and Concorde to be insignificant to a non-gearhead like myself.

The only thing I find of concern in these discussions is the generally poor performance of the service departments. But I don't think that this is restricted to Chrysler; I'm sure it's a problem with most makes.

And that brings me to the reason for my post. When you've had lousy service from a dealer why not let everyone know who they are? Naming names might help someone else and if named enough, a dealer might take some action.

The same goes for positive results: if you've had good results from a service department let us know! A dealer should be rewarded by repeat and new business if his service department is doing a good job.

I think we can help each other out if we put some names up there with our posts. And to start things off let me ask if anyone has anything to say (good or bad) about the Chrysler service departments in central and eastern Contra Costa county (CA). This would be helpful for me after I make my purchase.

Thanks for your time.
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    You might want to check out the Allpar.com site, they have a dealer/service board that you can browse or post your question about dealers in the Bay Area.
    If you were in the Kansas City area I could wholeheartedly (after all - this is the heartland!) recommend Bud Brown Chrysler (maybe even a few Plymouths left). Very nice dealer (HUGE INVENTORY - every possible variation of color/interior seating) and a great service dept.
    My '99 Concorde LXi (now at 16K mi) has been great (no problems except for a minor wind noise annoyance that I was able to quickly fix - loose cowl along hood). I think you are correct in that the Concorde is not a significant step down from the LHS. Perhaps the LHS maybe a slightly better value for the $$ but I agree that the Concorde is much better looking (particularly the grille). I think there are no changes for either of these models for 2001.

I drove Subarus for 22 yrs (2 each for 11 yrs) and plan to keep the 'corde for atleast 10. Altho' now I want a NEW Sebring!! but maybe I can talk the SO into buying one! The Subes were very good : reliable but underpowered and noisy. It was also with some (in)trepidation that I bought my first "American" large sedan but it was the second year of the second generation so I keep my fingers crossed that Chrysler has come up with a car that can be compared with the best. I really believe that Daimler chose to partner with Chrysler because of the advances that they have made with styling and engineering vs Ford or GM that both seem to be stuck simply re-hashing old models.
    Nice post! True words,Cars are not bad,dealers poor service make them bad.
    And it happens in all makes,we should avoid those "nasty" dealers,many of them are 5-star dealers,how?????
    It was the Concorde with wings!!!!!

fastdriver
    Does anyone know if there is a website with advanced photos of the 2001 Concorde? I haven't had any luck with the search engines in finding anything about the 2001 Concorde.

Thanks for your time.
    Nothing new,maybe some cosmetic changes and more refinments.
    In two more weeks,cars and brochures at dealers.
  • srinacarsrinacar Member Posts: 14
    Great idea. Unfortunately, names will not matter in my case. While my local dealer did not do me any favors, and clearly could have been more helpful when I pleaded with them to help me save my credit rating, but opted to ignore several calls after I no longer was a "paying customer", I don't think Bay Ridge Chrysler in NY acted any worse than one would expect from a car dealer. In my case, the mother company, DaimlerChrysler, was the real problem. DC failed to communicate with Chrysler Financial and the result was at my expense. Oh well. Better luck to you.
  • treeinmyreartreeinmyrear Member Posts: 3
    I have a decision to make and I am clueless. One morning I woke up to find my dependable used mini van (uncool I know, but practical)- 1992 Caravan 120K- had been vandalized by way of being rolled backwards into a tree, it has been totaled and now I need a car! My current choices are a 1993 Concorde (loaded) 87K for $5,200 or a 1994 (stripped) Plymouth Voyager $4,500. I would be buying either from my mechanic that is 1000% reliable. I did the book prices, ran the vin#'s etc. The Concord has had one owner and been impeccably cared for, the Voyager, has had 3 and is not in too bad of shape. My thing is, I don't know much about the longevity of either. Can I expect to get 150K+ out of a concorde with reasonable repairs, how are the transmissions, I prefer a stick, I am transmission paranoid, I had a ford once, but they are hard to come by. If anyone can tell me about the concorde (or voyager)I would be very greatful, also the price, it seems reasonable but what do I know....

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    you had a ford once, but they are hard to come by????
    Sorry about that, I was in a Nyquil induced stupper....I meant that Ford screwed me on a transmission (twice), I prefer a standard but they are hard to come by in larger cars/vans.
    anyway.....
    Sorry about that, I was in a Nyquil induced stupper....I meant that Ford screwed me on a transmission (twice), I prefer a standard but they are hard to come by in larger cars/vans.
    anyway.....
  • ramronramron Member Posts: 8
    My 94 Concorde purchased new in late 93 has 128K and I hope to get 150K. Several responses were about transmission problems. The transmission is busy, but responsive. To make it last, you need to understand how it operates. Your mechanic should be able to help you.

My Concorde looks and drives like new. It's wholesale value is about $3500.00 now, due to the high miles but still a solid car. Go ahead and drive the Concorde and see if you like the feel of the car and the workings of the busy transmission.

Good Luck and Regards, RAMRON
    I'm planning on buying a new Concorde this year. I've read the buying tips at Edmunds and Motely Fool but there is something they didn't really cover.

Should I order a car from the factory instead of settling for what's on the lot?

Will ordering from the factory save me any money or cost me more?

I'd really like to hear whatever you have to say on the subject. Thanks.
  • countrylawyercountrylawyer Member Posts: 11
    By all means order from the factory if you can afford/tolerate the wait. When you order, you not only make sure that you get exactly what you want, but you take delivery of your car with maybe 5 or 6 miles on the clock, as opposed to 250 hard-driven test drive miles during which every lead-foot wants to see how mightily that 3.2L can make your head snap. Most importantly, you radically alter the economics of the deal from the dealer's perspective, and hence from yours. When you order, the dealer has exactly $0 in the car, other than overhead to clean the thing up and do other pre-delivery work. Minimal. But the dealer still gets its full 3% of MSRP holdback, all its dealer cash, and potentially some of the customer cash as well. In short, with an order your dealer can realistically afford to go much, much lower on the price, and still make his minimum acceptable per-unit profit, because the unit's sold before it ever hits the asphalt at his lot. And that means you've got much more room on the downside of the price range to work with. Lastly, in dealing with a customer who's willing to wait 8 or so weeks for his car, the dealer knows he can't buffalo you because You're Quite Willing to Wait, thank you, and if he doesn't meet you, then You'll Also Be More Than Happy to Wait for His Competition. Unless your old car's blown up on you, order, wait, and count your savings. Just my $0.02.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Does the vehicle on the lot have a lot of miles?
    I purchased my 300M off the lot with 4 miles (just came in that morning) on the odometer. I told the dealer that I did not want the Chrome Wheels and the Upgraded stereo that was on the vehicle. I told him to take off the unwanted options, he said he could not (I knew this already) so we negotated a price of 400 under cost ( dealer made 2% of the holdback I got 1% of it) + I ended up paying $300 for the F chrome wheels and extra full size spare. Negotate at several dealers for lot cars as well as just ordering one. Pick the best overall deal.
    For me It happened to be off the lot.
  • dyorkdyork Member Posts: 6
    I just turned over 1000 miles on my concorde lx and I am still getting around 15/city and 18/hwy. How long does it take for the engine to break in? I had an oil/filter change at around 800 mls. I read somewhere that you could reset the transmission's memory by removing a fuse for a few minutes. But I forgot which fuse it was. Any one else have this problem???
    How is your driving?
    If you are asking me, If I am a lead foot, far from it! And I have also checked the air pressure on all 4 tires (31lbs cold). I removed to TCM fuse (Transmission Control Module?) for about a minute, then put it back. Hope this does something or I am going to be pretty upset/disappointed. I have noticed the following gear changes (according to my tach): 1st=0-8mph, 2nd=8-15mph, 3rd=15-35mph and 4th=45&up. I wished 3rd would come in sooner at around 25mph. Maybe the transmission will "learn"? But anyways, this still does not explain why I got 18mpg on my last trip out of town? I was doing 70-75 mph on a fairly flat highway.
    Just a reminder,the transmission will learn just the very first 1500 miles,after that the transmission will work properly,and if you remove a fuse thinking that you will erase the trans. memory you are wrong.
    The same happens to the AM-FM radio,you can even remove it from your car for days,and if the unit was already set in your car,and the memory of the unit was set already with radio stations,those stations will stay in the radio when you will install it again,so as you see,removing a fuse is a myth.
    If you are getting low milage,I can tell you that maybe it´s your fault,or your trip computer is wrong,in case you are using it.
    UPDATE... I found this site that might explain my poor gas mileage:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm
    It is concerning a recall for a problem with a pin in the master brake cylinder on cars manufactured in june 2000! I bought my concorde in August. Now if I can only find out when my car was built...
    david,

open your driver's door and look down at the bottom of the B pillar. there is a tag there stating what month your car was built.
    Well darn it, According to my dealer and Chrysler (I called them myself) there is no recall on my VIN which leaves me back at square one. A complete computer diagnostics was done and everything checked OK. The only explanation my dealer gave me was that either the engine has not been broken in yet or inacurate mpg numbers on the sticker. WWhat??? I tought it only took 300 miles for the engine to break in and about the sticker mpg being wrong, I don't think so... not by that wide a margin!
    it takes several thousand miles for a car's motor to "break-in". if indeed you are not getting over 20 mpg on the highway at reasonable speeds and you are not consistently driving up and through mountain passes, then there is something wrong. i suspect it is a combination of your driving habits and a still relatively tight motor... also, using oxygenated fuels will lower your gas mileage...ie...ethanol.
    What wax should I use on my beautiful, new burgandy red concorde? I have read some wierd wax names on this board but have yet to see them at my local stores. Is turtle wax too harsh? Consumer reports recommened Nufinish several years back.
    have you decided to "up" your mileage by not driving it?...ie waxing... what have you discovered?
    On my last trip out of town, my mpg actually improved from 18 to 25 mpg (on the highway). Which brings my total miles to 1686. I guess it is an "engine break in issue". I have not yet checked my city mpg but will post as soon as I do. As for waxing my car, no, I dont have the luxury of owning more than 1 car. So what I buy, I drive...
    simply amazing!!!
  • chryslerkidchryslerkid Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 with a 3.5L engine with just about everything electronic. It's been a fine car except for the horn and doorlocks. It seems periodically and very randomly the horn just goes on and stays that way until I pull the relay inside the panel by the door. When the relay is replaced the horn is off. I've had the horn replaced when it shorted out but the behavior continues. Also, I could be just driving down the freeway and all of a sudden the door locks lock, several times in a row. It seem more prevelant when the days get warmer. Has anyone else seen this before??
  • chryslerkidchryslerkid Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 with a 3.5L engine with just about everything electronic. It's been a fine car except for the horn and doorlocks. It seems periodically and very randomly the horn just goes on and stays that way until I pull the relay inside the panel by the door. When the relay is replaced the horn is off. I've had the horn replaced when it shorted out but the behavior continues. Also, I could be just driving down the freeway and all of a sudden the door locks lock, several times in a row. It seem more prevelant when the days get warmer. Has anyone else seen this before??
    I finally ended buying a ´01 Concorde,bright silver,with agate cloth.
    I just notice in ALL the new Concordes a miss fit between the front doors and the bumpers,as well a miss fit with the "B" pillars,I can´t believe it,Chrysler is building those cars(Concorde and 300M),since 98,and both cars have a poor fit in those areas.
    pepe,

what are u talking about? a mis-fit between the front doors and bumper? that would be the fender, wouldn't it? please explain yourself better...
  • 1934chevy1934chevy Member Posts: 1
    I systematically avoided 4 doors and automatics
    for 38 years (as you know there were AAMCO franchises on every streetcorner)and I find automatics with no compression braking worthless
    in the mountains. However, Ford turned the hatchback Mustang into a '48 Plymouth business coupe in 1994, and after I wore out the quickly
    found '93 Mustang, what else was there? The Camaro
    has a tiny cockpit and rolls of fat slathered on
    with a trowel, which made the Concorde the best
    looking car on the road, looking like what Camaros
    and Mustangs SHOULD look like. This is the best looking 4 door since the 1940 Packard. (and I hate
    four doors). I have had two problems, quickly fixed by a dealer different from the one I bought it from....the heater/air control module, and ice
    cracking an outside mirror(this last was also
    replaced under warranty). While I have looked at
    the 2001 Sebring coupe and Lincoln LS, both available with 5 speeds, the Lincoln has no styling and is too small, and the Sebring is still
    a Mitsubishi, is it not, with Yugo quality problems? This Concorde, which I recently drove on
    abandoned railroads and ghost town passes in Colorado, WITHOUT generating any rattles, and without, due to a full cavernous trunk, my usual
    toolboxes and parts kits, has proven to be a VERY
    reliable car. Besides the fact that equally priced
    cars were much smaller, didn't get any better gas
    mileage and had "Japanese generic" styling, this
    offered the biggest car with the smallest engine
    with the biggest (still too small) gas tank I could get!
    I´m sorry,you are right,it´s with the fenders.

Thank you.
  • jj34jj34 Member Posts: 9
    I've had a series of repetitive problems with my '98 Concorde LXi. Specifically, several window motors needing replacement, rack and pinion replaced, engine mount shims added, windshield washers replaced, horn replaced, headlight seals/gaskets replaced, transmission speed sensor replaced, etc, etc. Currently, it has 53,000 miles.

The latest problem is finding a substantial amount of water inside on the driver's side floorboard.
    Since I don't trust the dealership's service department, I usually try to assess any problems with a mechanic before going to the dealer. My mechanic says he doesn't know what it could be. He does not believe it's a problem with the A/C's evaporator or the heating coil because he found no moisture when looking/feeling under the dash. Of course, he says he's not sure. He says it could be a bad windshield seal or perhaps water is getting into the driver's side floorboard from the outside.

This problem has now occurred on three separate occasions. The first two times it was sunny and dry but this latest episode occurred on a rainy day. I don't know what to think. I know it has to be addressed since I'm tired of drying out the car's floorboard. However, since it's out of warranty, the dealer told me it would take about eight or nine hours' worth of labor just to pull out the dash in order to determine the problem. For the labor, they said anywhere from $500.00 to $700.00. Then, whatever the cost for parts causing the problem and parts damaged by the water.

Any suggestions besides getting rid of this piece of junk? I'd like to repair it so I can finally get rid of it since it's been a mechanical pain in the rear. This thing has a problem requiring a trip to the dealership about every three months from the time I first bought it new in '98.

Thanks to whomever can make a suggestion on my possible options.

Another Chrysler-buying sucker in Kingwood, Texas.
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    Sorry to hear about the apparent dilemma you are experiencing with your Concorde.
    I would suggest asking your mechanic to double check the heater core for a leak and if that checked out I would have my car put on a lift and very carefully checked for an undercarriage hole that would allow water into the interior,then I would take my car to a self service high pressure car wash and spray all around the windshield,side windows and if that checked out I would asked the dealer if there were any hoses that pass water through the inside of your car and check those for leaks.
    From reading your post it sounds like you intend on selling your car and by spending 1,000 dollars repairing it realizing the repair will not add any value to your car if I were you I would clean it up real good and trade it in on a new car since you appear to be unhappy with your Concorde..
    I hope you find your problem and can have it repaired at a minimal cost.
    Best of luck........Mimi
  • djwakeleedjwakelee Member Posts: 3
    jj34,

I believe there is a TSB on your water issue. Take a look on the NHTSA web site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm). I'm not sure if the repair would be a freebie or not, as you mentioned the car is out of warranty. If you have documented the problem while the vehicle was in warranty, you should be OK.

Good luck,
    Dave
    Mimi/djwakelee:

Thanks for the input. Mimi, based on the ridiculous quotes for the diagnostics and repairs, I decided to just trade that piece of junk. It looks great since I take excellent care of my vehicles and never miss the preventive maintenance (oil, tire rotation/alignment, etc.); but it's been a hangar queen since its purchase.

I have never been through such a trying experience with a new car. I am not willing to give Chrysler another chance. Their service reps are either incompetent, uninformed, rude or all of the aforementioned. I not only dealt with the reps where I bought this heap, but those at two other dealerships here in the Greater Houston Area.

The Chrysler area rep is an arrogant horse's [non-permissible content removed], so I fully understand where the service techs get their example of leadership and customer service.

As for getting any assistance from DaimlerChrysler in Michigan, the folks I talked to on the phone could care less about my problems. Apparently, they must live for the next customer as opposed to trying to retain and develop a loyal customer base of repeat buyers. Never again.

As much as I dislike small cars, I should have a new Honda by the end of next week. At least I won't be hanging out at their service department on a regular basis.

Burned once but not twice!!!
    jj34,

wow, that was quick! be careful about thinking hondas don't have their problems, cause they do. good luck!
    emale:

I'm confident Hondas have their share of problems. However, my experience with this Chrysler has been so offensive to me, that perhaps only a Yugo could be a bigger headache.

I paid $23,000+ on this '98 Concorde LXi at Henson Motors in Madisonville, Texas in July '98. I finance through my credit union so it's easier for me to dump a bad car once I need to trade it in.
    In order to save space, I won't list all of the repair problems I have had to address on this piece of crap beginning with a shorted out horn just two weeks after its purchase. I've been through seven (yes seven) window motors. The last window motor repair occurred about three weeks ago and since the car was out of warranty, it cost me $256.00 because of the freaking labor for a $99.00 part.

Even when getting a repair done under warranty, I still have to take time off from work (for which I do not get paid) or I take vacation leave (which is still money out of my pocket).

I would never consider another Chrysler product EVEN if it were offered to me free!!! To those of you who have non-clunkers, my best to you and I hope your luck doesn't run out. It is absolute misery to own a car as unreliable and as costly as this Concorde turned out to be.

Good Luck to all but no more Chryslers or Dodge vehicles at my house!!!
    jj34-

I know the feeling and agree with you 100%!!!!! Different LH model- all the same.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/

fastdriver