Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• warzonectxwarzonectx Member Posts: 26
    how fast do the Chrysler Concorde go. Is the 120 top speed. if you know email me at warzonectx@juno.com or post it.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Has anyone installed the spoiler the dealer sells or any other one? The dealer picture isn't very good.

Thanks
  • luvmylxiluvmylxi Member Posts: 3
    All Chrysler products have 120mph speed limiting computer in the engine. The only cars without this feature are the viper and the prowler.
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    I know many new readers to this site come here when thinking of purchasing a new car looking for the opionions from owners of the same make car....since I have just turned 50,000 miles on my 99 Concorde LXI I thought this would be the right time to post mine.
    Let me start off by saying my Concorde did require 1,000 dollars worth of repairs between the 36,000 mile warranty and 50,000 mile mark...which I find a little on the high side but still within reason....on the possitive side I find the Concorde to be a truly beautiful car,reasonably well made,fun to drive,very roomy both in the driver seat as well as the back seat..plenty of power,very economical on the highway,handles very well at all speeds,and is fairly priced for todays cars.
    On the negative side I find the Concorde to have limited leg room in the front passenger seat(if you are 6' or taller you will not find this position at all comfortable)...blind spot from the side view mirrors,hard riding car(feel all the bumps)and a very noisy riding car.
    To sum it all up I have to say that I disagree with many of the previous posters who stated that the Concorde was junk...I feel it is a fairly well made car with many good points but also have to say that when I trade my car in next May I will not purchase another Concorde because of the hard and noisy ride of the Concorde.

I feel that the Concorde with a few modifications could be made to be one of the best cars made today for it's price but as it is now I would have to pass on purchasing another one.
  • warzonectxwarzonectx Member Posts: 26
    can the chrysler concorde go 125 if so email or post it. my email is warzonectx@yahoo.com
  • tomcat37xtomcat37x Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with their up front rack & coupling?
    I'm in the 45k-50k mile range and I need a new one for my '98 lxi $1250est.
    Sorry to hear of your problem ...rack and pinion and cv joint repairs which are actually steering and drive axles are very common and costly repairs on front wheel drive cars but usually occur at a higher mileage then is with the case with your car.
    Unfortunately these repairs can also be needed in lower mileage front wheel drive cars.
    Do you have the Chrysler extended warranty?..If so I believe all 3 levels of the Chrysler warranty cover both the rack and CV {drive axle}
  • tco1tco1 Member Posts: 3
    This board is amazing! I have been hunting for a used car and have come across an opportunity to buy a 93 Concorde with 41k on it. Was set on moving forward but my research on this board turned up regular water pump and tranny problems (at 100k) along with a bevy of reliability concerns. Should I be avoiding this car? Can someone put these issues in perspective for me otherwise? Thank you so much!
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Most LH model sedans are limited to 112 mph due to the tires and suspension limitations. The two that have no speed limiter are the 300M with the PHP Package, and the Dodge Intrepid R/T (which comes with the PHP package standard). They both top out at around 140 mph.

As far as a used Concorde, they are priced low, so a few repairs may not be too bad. Remember, on an 8 year old car, expect air conditioning and maybe some electrical problems. Age effects those systems the most.
  • billgiffbillgiff Member Posts: 16
    I have seen numerous postings in the past regarding electric window problems, now I have it , must be contagious. Problem comes and goes, windows will not operate at times, not consistent and you never know when it will happen, have never had them stuck down thank heavens. Before I go chasing off to the dealer does anyone out there have an idea what is causing my failure, I can hear the techies now telling me it works OK now bring it in when it's not working, yea right.
  • ramronramron Member Posts: 8
    The '93 Concord had 2 engine choices. The 3.3L and 3.5L. I have a '94 with 3.3L purchased in late '93. I now have 140K miles and the car is still rock solid and like new. I did replace the water pump at 120K and changes the transmission fluid at 120K. The fluid should be replaced on a more regulator basis. I don't know much about the 3.5L except it is a more powerful and more complicated engine with a timing belt which drives the water pump and overhead cam.

You may want to look at the Chrysler enthusiasts site allpar.com for additional information. Good luck. ramrod
    I have a 99 Concorde LXI and expierienced what appears to be the same problem you are having.
    In my case at times my front passenger window would not work from my main driver window controls and it was a come and go problem.
    I had taken my car to the dealer and the service dept said they could not duplicate the problem at that time and made no further attempt to fix it.
    I then waited until it happened again at which time I immediately drove my car to the dealer and had the service writer see for himself the problem and it turned out to be the power window switch which was replaced and corrected the problem.
  • eeeleeel Member Posts: 57
    nice to see the concorde won best in large size cars - the intrepid also scored very high - has for the last 3 years
    never bought one - never would - i know a few people (gen mgr) of large dealerships and they all to a fault tell me the same thing - don't buy it !!! - now if i were a customer (and they didn't know me) - of course they would tell me the opposite - major profit maker and they tell me 95%+ of the people who purchase it never get their money back in warranty claims - just thought i'd throw that out there -
    I feel there is no right or wrong to the question of an extended warranty but its more of what you are comfortable with.
    You had mentioned about a General mgr who said 95%of the people who buy the warranty never get their moneys worth...possibly he was referring to the fact that many buyers trade their cars in every 3 or 4 years and in that case only have less then 50,000 miles and for that reason never get their moneys worth from a warranty.
    I have been in the car business about 25 years and have owned several car lots over the years and have close friends in the automotive business from owners to mechanics and just about all of them purchase the extended warranty when buying or leasing a new vehicle.
    In my expierences any one who keeps their car for close to 100,000 miles will find the warranty to be very cost efficent.
    He was also right when he said the warranty was a big profit item to the selling dealer and the reason for that is that there is no set price the dealer has to charge for the warranty and it is sold by the finance dept. after the point of commitment and sale of the car and most buyers just agree on the price given them which in many cases is much higher then could be bought for.
    In my opionion I feel if you do your homework and know the true cost of the warranty and purchase it at a fair price and do end up keeping your car with high mileage it will prove to pay for it self and then some.
    you make some excellent points - i usually keep mine for 100k and i've yet to get burned - i.e. so far i've always come ahead - i will say when i'm asked to purchase one - i'll offer them 50% of whatever price they ask - that still leaves 10% for them (profit) which of course they state that the margin is too low - i always respond 10% profit for me signing a piece of paper isn't too bad - and as my mom would say 10% is better than nothing - of course you can find them through alternative sources - most of the people i know who work in the industry won't buy them - maybe we just know a different group - but i see that most dealers in the balto want 2k+ for a comprehensive extended warranty and most don't seem to want negotiate
  • binubinu Member Posts: 81
    I have had to change my driver's side power window motor twice. Mine is a 1998 Concorde Lxi.
    The 1st time, the motor was replaced under warranty. The 2nd time, I ended up paying the $50 deductible on my extended warranty.
    Coincidentally, on both occasions when the motor failed, it was after I had come back from a 3-4 week vacation. This means, the window motor was not used for 3-4 weeks.
  • rickgonzrickgonz Member Posts: 87
    If you get the window stuck problem again, you may want to ask your service rep to look into TSBs:

8-40-99
    8-46-98A

My driver side window gets stuck in the up position, making it inconvenient sometimes at toll booths.
    However since it happens infrequently, I just haven't brought it in for service cause of the hassle of it. Haven't had any other problems at all so haven't had any reason to bring in for service other than routine maintenance.

I ascribe the stuck window to dirty or grounded switch as it happens when it has rained or snowed a lot, or has been very hot for a few days.

I also cleaned off the glass area that seemed to have some kind of sticky stuff on it, don't know if that helped.
    Rick
  • thewifescarthewifescar Member Posts: 2
    Bought a brand new 2000 Concorde for the wife (and kids) just over a year (and 13K miles) ago. Did so with some trepidation because of DC's reputation, but took the plunge because it had more room than a LeSabre, and I'm guessing that what I ended up paying to purchase (price+interest) the car was $4K to $5K lower than it would have been for a comparably equipped LeSabre. Though I haven't had cause to regret the decision yet - my wife loves the car - my experience with the car has yet to allay my fears about DC's reputation. There's the window that, when opened and its cold outside, sounds like you're going over a rumple strip. (Been to the dealer twice for that - still not fixed.) Also, the front tires have worn poorly and my wife is a pretty tame driver. (We'll see what a new alignment does for the rotated tires.) The thing that has me the most concerned, though, is the way the transmission "downshifts" during routine stops. (I'm not actually sure if it is a downshift or a shift to neutral.) Whatever it is, though gentler, it reminds me of the "klunk" I used to get when the overdrive solenoid in the transmission of my old Bonneville starting hanging. Is this "normal"?

Thanks for your responses.
  • thewifescarthewifescar Member Posts: 2
    P.S. to msg #570. The car noted is an LXi.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Pictures are on my LHS. Spoiler is the same as on the Concorde. Pictures below.

www.ehomebook.com/users/njerald

Click on Photo album, Click on LHS. 6 Pictures.
  • frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    My 2000 Concorde has been a fine car so far. I have noticed that the windows now stick coming down. They seem to have a hard time disengaging from the rubber gasket at the top.
    I have tries to silicone the gasket with no relief. My fear is that the window motor will blow, and this will of course happen after the warranty is up. Any ideas out there?
  • d47d47 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Concorde and have nothing but trouble since it was purchased. About the only problem I haven't had is with the power windows. I've spent thousands of dollars in repairs. Had the O2 sensors replaced a number of times. Several times under warranty-several times at my own expense. The check engine light is on intermittently. We've had a tune-up.

My nephew had a Chrysler van which developed transmission problems and a variety of other problems when the van had less than 75,000 miles. He was smart enough to have purchased the extended warranty. Unfortunately I was not.

Another nephew's Chrysler AS system went out shortly after the car was out of warranty.

I will never purchase another Chrysler product.

If Daimler Chrysler wants to improve business, they need to improve the quality of their product.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    FYI- the 2002 Concorde will be getting the front and rear bumper fascias from the current LHS. The LHS will not be built for 2002, but will be a package on the 2002 Concorde ,this package will be called the Concorde Limited. From the outside it will look like the current LHS but will have a Concorde interior . So three levels of trim will be available for 2002 LX , LXI and Limited.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    See this post I saved from last year on the 300M message board. It is due to the type of rubber used.

#58 of 71: Transmission Ed. 101 (indydriver) Tue 14 Mar '00 (11:40 PM)
    If anyone is having tranny problems with their
    300M, contact the service manager at Carson
    Chrysler in Plainfield, IN (they're on the web).
    He's become an expert after working on my car the
    past year. I bought in Dec. 98 and now have 35,000
    miles on the clock. Car was delivered from the
    factory with the famous 'valve body' defect which
    manifests itself by failing to shift out of park on
    cold starts even though the digital dash indicator
    shows it shifting. Trans eventually engages after
    a few revs and pressure is built up. Replacing this
    part involves complete removal of the trans from
    the car--make sure you've got a good mechanic! I
    continued to have shifting problems, especially a
    "thunk" on the downshift from 2nd to 1st when
    coming to a stop. Dealer replaced the TCM
    (transmission control module) and Speed Sensor with
    no improvement. Dealer finally nailed it by
    replacing the solenoid controlling 2nd gear. Works
    great now and I use the Autostick all the time.

Window problems are caused by the rubber seals
    being too soft. Notice the smudge marks left along
    the leading edge of the glass. You can help prevent
    window motor failures by keeping this leading edge
    of the glass clean. If you never clean it, it
    tends to get tackier and tackier especially in warm
    weather putting excess strain on the hardware.
    d47:

Actually they have improved a lot.

You will notice that a lot of the 1999+ LH-platform owners (300M, Concorde, LHS, Intrepid) are very pleased with their cars. That is because they did better design work on these cars.
    Same with the new model of Sebrings, much better cars than the previous ones. The new engines and transmissions are responsible for a lot of the customer satisfaction. DOHC designs vs. the old OHV engines.
    I don't know about the vans if they are still on the same platform as before, but they appear to be better built also.
    I had unevenly-wearing tires too at first.
    This platform seems to be quite sensitive to how/where you drive also.
    I had the dealer align all wheels and balance them, three times in 25,000 miles.But have them definitely inspected after going over some bad roads (like those in Manhattan or D.C.).
    I think the power window problems in here must be contagious..lol..
    About a month or so ago my driver side rear window stopped working for about 5 minutes and then just started working again and I didn't really give much thought to it until last week when I had a passenger in the back seat who was unable to open the back window...I tried from the main control on and off for about 15 minutes at which time it started working and has worked fine ever since.
    Realizing that sooner or later in all probability the window would stop working at all so when I had my oil changed at the dealer today I told him about the window and to my surprise they changed the window motor...the repair was at no cost to me as I have the zero deductable extended warranty but I always ask the cost of the repair for curiosity and was told the replacement cost of the power window motor was...210.00 dollars plus tax.
    It does seem that Chrysler has had a lot of problems with the power window motors but i'm sure other new car manufactures are having similar problems as well.
  • tomtwomeytomtwomey Member Posts: 3
    This car is smooth as silk....I keep thinking about buying it, but the reputation on these cars is horrible....I've tried, but I can't seem to find a reason not to buy it for $4000. Maybe I should buy a warranty too? Any opinions would be appreciated.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Depending on the mileage, make sure the transmission has been replaced or rebuilt. You likely will not get more than 50,000 miles out of the original, even if it is babied and well maintained.

The fuel system is another source of trouble on these cars - leaks are common.

Other common failures: electrical system, air conditioning, and suspension parts.

Overall - have the car checked by a competent mechanic, and if available, buy an extended warranty. Chances are good you will need it. The 98+ models improved somewhat, but the first-generation LH cars were among the least reliable cars on the road.
    In response to your post I would like to give you my opionion on your contemplated purchase of 94 Concorde...based on my past expierence in the automobile business I feel that when considering the purchase of a 7 year old car with 99,000 miles that the past reputation of that brand car should not be a factor in your decision but what is important is the overall condition of just the one car you are looking to buy.
    I would suggest that you take the car to a reputable shop and let them put it on a lift and check for past frame damage as well as checking the drive train with their diagnostic equiptment and test driving the car.
    A complete evaluation like this may cost about a hundred dollars or so but it may prove to be a wise investment.
    As for the warranty....without question if it were me buying the car I would purchase the warranty if that was an available option.
    i don't know - we have 135k on my wifes 93 eagle vision - friend has a 93 interpid (94 also) with 150k / 115k - no tranny problems - i know lots of people - i mean lots (client used interpids for their sales force) and have had no trannies re-done (all 95-96 models) - all have over 100k - so while i hear these horror stories my experiences are quite different. in fact 3 of the companies i have consulted for have swithced the company cars/trucks to mopar and after several years have saved a ton of money - they did it because the costs reflected that they should - i.e. the mopars have been cheaper to run/maintain with less downtime than the gm/ford/honda/toyota vehicles they replaced. just my 2 cents
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Weren't they more reliable in the 3.3 than the 3.5? I'd heard that they tended to have problems with engines with more torque like the 3.5 (or the 3.8 in minivan applications).

I don't know too many people with older LH's. A friend of mine has a '94 Concorde with the 3.5, and he must have about 80-90K miles on it by now. I know he's had water pump, A/C, and brake rotor problems, and a few other annoyances. And there's a lady at work who has a '94 3.3 Concorde, that's pushing 100K. I think it's ok mechanically but is starting to rust on the lower edge of the doors.

When I delivered pizzas, 3 other drivers, at varying times, had first-gen LH's. One guy had a '96 3.3 Intrepid that he bought used, low mileage. I haven't talked to him in awhile, but have seen the car parked outside his house, so I guess it's still running. This other guy had a '96 or so 3.5, that was pushing 80K, and running fine.

Then finally, about the time I quit, this one kid had a '94 Intrepid that his mom gave him. I do know it was on its second tranny, but don't remember how many miles it had.

Well, I guess I know more people with older LH's than I thought!
  • jimbo66jimbo66 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced an intermittent brightening of the dash lights? This has happened to me twice both times the headlights were off. This is the only weird experience with this car bought it 11/99 now has 10,300 happy miles. Thanks Jim
  • david872david872 Member Posts: 11
    I too have had window motor problems. I've already had 3 of the 4 replaced. I was told they are being replaced with an upgraded motor. All were replaced under warranty. I asked that since 3 of 4 have failed if they would replace the last one with the upgraded motor and I got an quick, clear NO! I tried between the dealer and DC to get the last one replaced with no success. Anyone been sucessful with getting DC to fix a known problem before the part fails?
    I used to have the problem on my 98 concorde lxi.
    It used to happen very rarely, only in the daytime, when I drive with the headlights ON.
    Whenever the flicker occurs, the headlight also turns OFF and ON, similar to turning the headlight switch OFF and ON. ( When the headlight switches OFF the interior turns brighter and when the headlight comes back ON the interiors turn dimmer )

The dealer never found the cause. This problem has never occured even once during nighttime driving. So i just ignored it. I still have the car and it drives great.
    I was very surprised to read in Thursday Arizona Republic daily newspaper that the cab forward design will be discontinued in both the dodge Intrepid and Chrysler Concorde by the 2004 model year.
    The replacement cars...known as the next generation Chryslers will have rear wheel drive.
    The article gave two reasons for Chrysler doing away with the cab forward design...the first being that the new Chryslers will have V-8 engines which will require larger front hood space....the 2nd reason being they were not big sellers due in part because of complaints about quality,reliability and ultimately low resale value.
    I guess if the Concorde had a low resale value in the past now that it is being discontinued it will have almost no resale value....Thank God I only lease mine...
    I have to say that I will miss the beauty of my 99 Concorde when I give mine back at the end of my lease in June.
    I also have seen a picture of the new future 2 door Chrysler Hemi conv. and I have to say that it was one of the best looking cars I have ever seen....what a beauty...
    Best of luck to all.
    mimi:
    allpar.com has more info about this, and I think that is also where I saw some drawings. Unfortunately they have made lots of decisions which are to the detriment of what used to be Chrysler, its employees and its customers. Like cancelling the Neon and selling a rebadged Mitsubishi car instead. And it will not be a better car than the Neon, as it will be based on the current Lancer/Colt platform and will have smaller engines than the Neon.
    It will be cheaper for them to produce, and so will make more money for the German company.
    They also intend to source LH transmissions from Mercedes. The new LH design looks like some kind of retro design which even less people will buy. There is some debate as to what will happen to the 300N plans. Oh well, forget frickin Daimler, my next car to replace my 99 Concorde will probably be Japanese.
    Wait ,the 300N is still going to be built , and a ragtop also . You will see good things from DC in the future. MD trans are good for the LH/LX car . with the V8 option this will be a real rocket . Dont look at the concept cars and think this is how they will be built . Just wait and see.
    Ottowrkr,

After viewing your profile and reading your posts in the 300M thread, I thought you might be better placed to provide an explanation:

1) I have mentioned in posts # 117, 142, 209, 211 of this same 'concorde' thread of a headlight/dashlight flicker that I have noticed on my 98 Concorde Lxi. Is it possible for you to throw some light on this ? I know a few other Concorde owners who have emailed me off-line with the same issue. The dealer has no idea of what's going on.

2) What is the deal with the Chrysler learning transmission ? What was it supposed to achieve ?

Any info is deeply appreciated.
    Thanks
    I have a 99 Concorde LXI which had the same flickering problem with my dash lights....I have taken my car back to the dealer on 2 occasions and both times have been told problem could not be duplicated so they were unable to make any repairs.
    In my situation what I did was adjusted the brightness control for my interior dash lights to the brightest position without my interior lights coming on and that did correct my problem....leading me to believe the problem may be in the dimmer switch.
    Prior to owning my Chrysler I have been a buick owner for many years and I have to say that the Buick dealer would always look much further into any problem reported to them regardless of wheather or not it was doing that when it was brought in but I find that with Chrysler service they are very fast to just say...can not duplicate the problem at this time...and end it at that.
    I have heard of this problem and most owners say the headlamp switch is the problem ,try moving the dimmer wheel to a few diffrent positions and see if this helps.
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    Just wanted to post that my `99 LXi at 24K miles is still going great -- NO problems, no sticking window motors (have kept the window edges free of dirt and film); no drivetrain problems; some road-noise on some surfaces (probably the GY Eagle GAs which are wearing normally); a loose cowling along to hood in one corner was easily fixed; minor wear to the driver`s leather seat surface on left-side near waist (maybe a belt I wear?); AC cools car quickly on recent 100+ deg. days; no weatherstripping problems; flickering dash lights happened once about 2 yrs ago (probably is caused by the wheel-type brightness switch being in a `touchy` position). Anyway, I love this car!
    Mimi,

This problem occurs only during daytime and only when I am driving with headlights on.
    The effect is the same as the headlight switch being turned to the 'OFF' position and then back to 'ON' position.
    So even when my brightness switch is turned to max brightness,as you suggested, it does not mean that the problem is solved. The headlights are still affected. Only this time, the interior dash lights are unaffected. This is how it is supposed to be when your headlight switch is turned 'off' and 'on.

Point: The problem still exists. Some sensor or software is turning the headlight switch 'off' and turning it back 'on' during daytime.
    I wanted to ask folks on this thread what tire they recommended but I didn't have much time: two flat tires in one day. So off I went to Price Club/Costco.

I got some new 205/70 tires for my 99 Concorde: Michelin X Radial Plus (maybe an OEM model for Costco? as I can't find it on Michelin's web page). Since I have the smaller 15" steel wheels, I did not have much choice. Boy was I shocked when I saw the price for each tire was $89. Last time I had purchased tires two years ago that much money paid for a Michelin MXV, the next higher in touring class tires.

It could be my imagination, but the tires slightly quieted road noise. Handling is maybe slightly degraded though when driving fast around sharp curves, as I think this is a harder tire with less grip than the original Goodyears.
    Oh yeah, it looks like Michelin calls them X-Ones now. And in my tire size, they only come as WSW.
    The shop mounted them black face out.
  • drummer4drummer4 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had a problem with the black trim
    around the windows on the outside of the vehicle. Everytime that I wash the vehicle, the trim has these streak marks that make it look almost as if it has an oxide problem. It looks horrible and I have not been successful in getting the trim to shine. Any suggestions?
  • rolheureuxrolheureux Member Posts: 5
    I need to change the tires.Any recommendations..they need to be 4-seasons!
    no answers to your question, this place is pretty stagnant. You might get more response in the 300M forum. Anyway my Michelins are pretty good, like I said quieted the cabin a bit. On my previous car I also tried BFGoodrich, Dunlops and Michelins (MXV). I would say the Michelins were the best of them both in grip and durability.
  • perolafperolaf Member Posts: 5
    I've had poor experiences with Michelins on two different cars in the snow. They wear well but don't grip. I've been reasonably satisfied with tires by Summit and Cooper for all season use. I just bought a 2000 LX with 30,000 miles whose Goodyears probably will need to be replaced in the next 10,000 miles, so I welcome any other suggestions. Don't overlook the services the tire dealer may provide free, especially in a small town. My local dealer balances for free and does free rotations for the life of the tire. The big chains won't and often aren't the cheapest if you look at total cost.