Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    is jerking you around -- take it to someone else. The Prizm and Corolla are mechanical twins, and I assure you the 1ZZ engine is a gem -- smooth, repsonsiveness and quiet, even under full throttle.

My guess is there may be a part of the exhaust that it rubbing against the floorpan somewhere, transmitting noise and vibration into the cockpit. There also may be something wrong with the resonator. If that doesn't fix the problem, there may be something wrong with the engine.

Whatever you do, do not delay in getting this fixed -- your car is under warranty and you don't want to ket a major problem continue if you plan to keep the car for any length of time.

One thing to ponder, next time you get a car like this -- the 3 speed auto is really only good for city driving. The amount you saved in the initial price will be wuickly used up in additional fuel costs. And a 4-speed is much more responsive.
  • ckeemckeem Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response. I will be taking the car to another dealer and have them check both the exhaust and the resonator. They could be the culprit.
  • keithchkeithch Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 Prizm has only 7,000 miles.
    I need to hold down the key for a few more seconds to start the car. I can hear the starter is trying to turn. The problem does not always happen.
    The problem happens after freeway driving, in the morning. Once a day. Anyone has this experience?

Thanks
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    I am new to this forum and I am thinking about purchasing a new 2001 Chevrolet Prizm. I need to know the advantages of this car and any problem areas that you all have encountered with the 2000 or 2001 Chevrolet Prizm. Thanks for any help!
  • yarslewyarslew Member Posts: 1
    I can't find a manual covering the 1998 Prizm, and would like to know if the front suspension (drive axle and wheel bearing, etc) is the same as the previous years. So far all manuals on Corolla and Prizm go only through 1997, and I have a wheel bearing that is suspect.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    you won't get much if any negative comments about this car. Remember this car was designed and engineered by Toyota.

it is extremely well built. I have a 99 prizm of which nothing has gone wrong. It has been flwless from day one as far as build quality.

the motor is strong and powerful for a car this size and is ultra smooth.

My negative comments would be limited to...
    small inside (duh, its a small car and I am finding I would like to go back to a bigger car).
    brakes could be a tad stronger
    stock tires suck.
    soft suspension and steering sould be quickened.
    heater warms slow in winter compared to larger cars.

Minor stuff. If I sell it soon, I would just simply be doing so to get a bigger car, like a Taurus. Otherwise it is a fine car.
  • uvulauvula Member Posts: 3
    In July I bought a new 01 Prizm Lsi 4 speed A/T, loaded, and am wondering what I should get for gas mileage. I'm getting around 28 - 29 highway (I keep it steady between 55 - 65, that is, not fluctuating, but at a constant speed within this range). City I get about 23 - 24 no matter how conservatively I drive. There seems to be a VERY slight rough idle when stopped in Drive or Park. Any comments appreciated.
  • iperkinsiperkins Member Posts: 5
    everythings okay for all of you out there crying over the engine whining in the 98-01 prizm. thats normal. For anyone considering buying a prizm,
    Pros- good fit and finish, Superior ride for its class, lively engine.
    Cons-
    Everythings okay for all of you out there crying over the engine whining in the 98-01 prizm. thats normal. For anyone considering buying a prizm,
    Pros- good fit and finish, Superior ride for its class, lively engine.
    Cons- CHEAP TIRES! to describe the base radio in a word, CRAP. Everything else is built pertty well in this car. Overall, Great car.
  • gabagooogabagooo Member Posts: 5
    Hello. I just purchased a reddish (I am not sure of the exact color - red with a tinge of orange) 1999 Prim with a gray interior. It has 18,200 miles, three speed transmission, a/c, and the dealer agreed to replace the basic radio unit with a am/am cassette. I paid $10125 minus tax and plates. I looked at approx. 15 cars and I kept comming back to the Prim. It isn't the most exciting car, but it will be reliable. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this virtual community. Your comments on this message board helped me to arrive at my decision. I look forward to my Prim ownership and continued participation in this on owning discussion.
  • cpan13cpan13 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 00 Prim in August. Initially had funny, rhythmic "wuh wuh wuh" noise from engine at around 1200rpm/idling. Dealer said it was "normal" noise. Now at 7000miles, cannot hear it inside the cabin, but has rhythmic "pfh pfh pfh" noise when listening to engine outside.
    Is this a "normal" noise other Prim's have? Anyone else have this noise?

My A/I light is also ALWAYS on when you are on Window Defrost mode - should it be?

When I first start my car, it idles at 1400-1600rpm for 2 minutes before dropping down to 900-1100. Is that normal? (Oh, I live in Michigan where it's been 0 degrees)
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Can't tell you about your Prizm's engine noise. I have a 99 Corolla LE. And I live in Ann Arbor. So not too far from ya.

I can't recall hearing any rhythmic noises. Engine is louder when it's cold, but once it has warmed up, you can not hear it inside the car until about 40 mph.

As for the idle speed. 1400-1600 rpm is normal. It's programed to idle at higher speed until the engine warms up. Because a cold engine produce is when it's least efficient, that's why it's programed to idle higher to warm up faster. It's listed in the Toyota's owner's manual, don't know about Chevy's. Once it's warmed up (you can watch the engine temperature gauge), the idle speed should drop to just below 1000 rpm.
  • dakota2000dakota2000 Member Posts: 2
    For what it's worth i'd recommend the prizm to anyone.I bought it over it's twin the Corolla because i saved about $1000.(bought it new in'96 for$12,000. a/c 5speed am/fm rear defog....can get the same car for the same or less today because everyone still wants suv's)Now with 60,000 miles i have done nothing but preventive maintenance(oil every 3k,new tires,tune up,one tie rod end).You will lose a little on resale(if you are like me resale value means little when you keep them for 8-10years) but in general you will pay less to begin with.Great little car!!
  • tommy100tommy100 Member Posts: 12
    Its hard to beleive but my prizm w/88k finally broke 2 days ago all of a sudden,started runnung bad smelled like burning rubber, a sqeal then died,starts bud smells then dies
    dad said most likely timing belt,i can exept that but then the mechanio
    said the engine was most likely,ruined?bent valves,pistuz?
    it ran perfect till then,is my engine realy damaged cause of belt/slipage breakage?oh its a 95 1.6l manual.Help
    he said about 2 grand to "rebuild the motor to manufacures specs"Any sugesstions
    i was looking through my g-friends owners book at her replacement intervals for her 95 cavalier i have a 95 prizm both caomrable size and class of cars, hers does not reqire half the stuff mine does, especially the timing belt but also no valve clreance adjustment,rotor,cap,wires,drive belts,i thought toyota engines were more technically advanced her cavalier is as old as mine w/pretty same almost 90k, my boken timing belts could cost up to 2,000 to repair,sounds like gm makes a more thoughfull 4cyl engine design,a belt that can ruin the engine if it breaks,
    come on toyota (geo,whatever this car is)gm,toyota,or geo
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    You trade maintenance costs for liveability and for reliability and durability. The Prizm is a much more refined, easy-to-live-with car than is the Cavalier. It will, with proper maintenance, far outlast the average Cavalier - 100,000 mile maintenance intervals may sound great, but in many cases, a Cavalier won't make it that far, nor is that type of service interval realistic.

I'll venture to say that in 100,000 miles of driving, the repairs to a Cavalier will end up costing more than the maintenance on a Prizm.
    if the 1.6l engine is ruined if timing belt slips and breakes.i've been told it may or may not if not
    $400 est if it did it could be up to
    $1800 which i dont have either im a poor 21 year old.my mechanic told me
    its definetly the belt but wont know till next week if it damaged the motor?i still owe about $2500 o the prizm up till now i cant complain and i also noticed a valve clerance adjustment that wasnever done can that cause problems ,any advice thanks tommy
    92-97?prizms seems like that would be more durable any ideas?
    Belts tend to be quieter, for one, and allow a more compact engine. No, a broken timing belt on a Toyota 1.6 or 1.8L engine will not damage the engine (as it will on a Honda, or Neon, or other car with an interference-design engine).
    i am glad to hear that abroken belt wont damage, i called the machanic and he said there is always a chance for valve train damage?i hope not what is tha interferance engine thing?i also noticed in the owners manual on the 95 prizm says valve clearance at 60k my mach also said
    theres no need cause there hidralic lash?or something, should i go to a different mech.seems like he contrdicts what u say any advice
    i dont know what to do my car is sitting at the garage, should i have towed to a diffrent garage,i recently
    found out the perizm is a toyota design, and in the past hes worked on my american cars i dont think he knows much about these little rice rockets?
    I don't think the Toyota 1.6 and 1.8 use hydraulic lifters that self-adjust. Adjusting the valves is a 30-minute job that can be done along with the timing belt.

By all means, take the car to a mechanic familiar with Toyota engines.
    Toyota has not used interference engine since the 80's. Only exception was the ultra cheap Toyota Tercel. But the Prizm is not based on the Tercel, but on the Corolla.

So your engine should not bend valve when the timing belt brakes. The engine will just die, and you come to a rolling stop. You probably has to get the belt replaced, and probably the water pump as well. From now on, be sure to replace your belt at 60K miles as PER instructed. :)

Good luck.
    mechanically all the way a toyota motor,and do know anythin bout the 6k
    valve clearance adjustment,it was also never done,could that of caused a problem thatnks again any ideas?
    yes, your engine is a 100% Toyota through and through. The Prizm is 95% Corolla. Only the minor components such as the radio/battery, and inside/outside sheet metal/fabric are different.

If you look at the engine and the heatshield, you probably will spot some Japanese label and warning of some sort. :)

If you are still not 100% certain, look at this web page.

http://www.gates.com/shared/brochure.cfm?brochure=30

Open up the .pdf file, and look under the Geo section. Notice the Geo Prizm are not listed with a (*), indicating it's not an interference design. So rest easy. The valves are not bent.

Not 100% certain what they do to the valve at your 6K valve adjustment (I don't own a Prizm, got a 99 Corolla, and haven't noticed any 6K valve adjustment). It's most likely for tune up, to make sure the engine run clean and efficiently like new. Even without the tune up, the valve's condition shouldn't change much, or at least not enough to make an free-running (non-interference engine) become interference.

There is a small possibility that when the belt beaks, the broken pieces might do some collateral damage. With luck, it didn't do anything bad or get caught in something else. Talk to your mechanic and find out for sure. Or even get a 2nd opinion from another mechanic you trust if you think the first one is trying to rip you off. Good luck.
    I looked at the link I posted in the last message. I found a little interesting information.

Hey everyone. Anyone own a 90-93 Prizm? While the 94-95 ones do not use an interference engine (as per Toyota corolla engine), the 90-93 Prizm DOES use an interference design, (the 90-93 Corolla does not).

Was the 90-93 Prizm not based on the Corolla? Or did GM use a GM engine for the 90-93 Prizm?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I have a 99 Chevy Prizm with frontal and side airbags. There are intermittent problems with airbag sensors that is causing the AIRBAG warning light to activate. If you have a Prizm that has or has had in the past this same type of problem I urge you to make a complaint to NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ .
    The more I research this it appears that many owners of 98 and 99 Prizm's (and Corolla) have cars with defective airbags or sensors. Unless it is reported, GM will not have to correct the problem and the owners will be stuck with the bills. There is currently no TSB or recall on this problem.
  • badbrett79badbrett79 Member Posts: 29
    the dark red boring color, i saw a prizm of same style the oter da y with an awesome, tin can kinda blue not navy bluebut a radiant med dark blue, does nayone have a prizm w/this cool bue f so what is it called i would like to get myne painted,and if so shold i have them pait the door handles and door moulding the same?do u think it would be durable even though there not painted now (there black) thanks
  • airwolf1984airwolf1984 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

I have geo prizm 1996 basic trim. I got it as a used one and don't have the manual. I would like to change the pre-set radio stations but cannot figure out how. The radio is stock one, no cassette, CD. Any idea? Thanks.
    as i can remember before i got my system, u find the station u want press one of the presetes and hold it in till the music pauses and comes back on,by the way each button can hold 2 presets for fm stations.if it was like mine, dies urs have an electronic tape deck w/a wanna be equalizer? hope this helps brett
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    My 1990 prizm has 303,000 miles on it,with the original motor, trans and clutch!! the car rides almost like it did ten years ago. It amazes me everyday I drive it. This is by far the best car ever built.
    On my way to 400,000...............
    i have a 95 and would be overjoyed to get over 100k.whatz ur secret i didnt think a tiny engine could run so long,let alone the clutch,mind kinda knocks loud in the morning or whenever it sits for a few hours,whut weight and brand oil do u use,any advice, thanks brett
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I use a fram filter and castrol 10w30. I am on my 6th timing belt (every 60k). Just passed new jerseys crazy inspection with no problems!
    I just bought a 1999 Prizm with 18200 miles on the clock and a three speed transmission. Most of the driving that I have been doing has been short distance, around town. I live in upstate New York, where it has been snowy and cold. On my last tank of gas, I averaged just 17 mpg. Pretty poor. The Corsica I was driving before the Prizm was getting 22 mpg under the same circumstances and it had a 3.1 ltr V-6! Any thoughts on the poor mpg? Also, the engine seems to idal pretty high (no tach) but I would guess at least at 1200 rpm. Tell me, fellow Prizm owners, is this how Prizms behave? Thanks for any insights that you may have.
    my 95 prizm is near 90k, and once it warms up the tac says about 1000rpm's and seems to idle higher the colder it is out but once at normal temp u cant even feel it idling,but itz a 5 speed so that may make e dif.oh and ur gas mileage sounds weird how do u come up w/mpg figures anyway, mine seems to do better on gas that that though,good luc
    I have 99 and 95 Prizm. The idle on both cars is higher until the operating temperature is reached. Whether this is controlled by mechanical or computer I don't know. It is normal for Prizm and many other modern cars.
    If you are really getting 17MPG then there is something wrong with the car. I average between 25-35MPG on the 95 and 27-37 on the 99. I do have 4 spd auto. The 3 spd will get less MPG but not alot less. Are you recording the amount of gas and miles used and determining mileage correctly?
    Thanks for the feedback. I have noticed that the motor revs really high when it cold and it isn't quite as buzz when it has warmed up. I track my mpg using the tripometer (reset after each fill up) divided by the number of gallon to the tenths. I have had the car since January 2 and have filled up twice now. On my first tank I averaged just 23 mpg and the second 17 mpg. I called the dealer and they are going to check the dial - under warranty. I have also asked them to look into my squeaky rear breaks as well. I really dig the car, but I am not happy with my mileage. I have to admit that I like the exterior styling much better than the Toyota version as well as the dash treatment. I agree with the others - the small tires are pretty lame. When the times comes I will move up to a firmer gripping set on rubber.
    I must admit, chevrolet did a better job on the dash board, I hate where that mini radio the corolla is located. Chevrolet needs to drop that funky Cavalier instead of the prizm. Personally, I think its nothing but a peice of crap that someone slapped together. It really needs to go with all of that uncalled for noise from that engine.
  • mukasa7mukasa7 Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to purchase a 95 Prizm (72,000miles) if my mechanic gives me the final thumbs up. I don't suspect any problems, everything has checked out so far, it drives well and I fell in love with it immediately. However, it does not have the owner's manual and I want to make sure I do all the proper maintenance over the years. Does anyone know how I can get a hold of the manual or a list of all the things I need to periodically get checked, flushed, and replaced. Are there any Prizm specific maintenance checks that need to be done? Thanks for your advice.
    i bought a 95 prizm bout 9 mos ago with 73k now has 90k itsbeen a good performer ita a 5sp 1.6l the worst part of the car is the power (the lack of) but im usta it now,i did have the front brake and 4 new tires thata really all besides oil changes,mine also had no manual and i just ordered one from helms ithink the car makers dont make them a book comp.does it was 20 bucksw/shipping part no 10258591 B, hope that helps,and as for mainance itz says to get timing belt changed at 60k which wuz never done yet.but for an economy ca r its a good one.prob because it has a toyota engine. lots of luck brett
  • airwolf1984airwolf1984 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, badbrett79. The trick does it: tune to the station frequency, hold one of the pre-set station number (1--6) for a while.

You mentioned each button can hold 2 pre-sets for FM stations. How do you achieve that?

For your info, my radio does not have an electronic tape deck w/a wanna be equalizer. Radio only!

Thanks.
  • hank15hank15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Prizm. The owners manual does not specify the type of anti-freeze replacement. Can I use GM dex-cool(orange color) good for 5 years or 150,000 mi? The fluid in the car now looks red to me. Could it be a Toyota brand of antifreeze since it's a Toyota engine? Thanks!
  • bredapupbredapup Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 1995 Geo Prizm it has only the stock radio with no casette or CD player, I idealy want a CD player, Anyone know where to get one?
    I don't want to rip my car apart trying to put a system in there that doesn't fit correctly.. Also, Anyone have any comments on how long these cars run? Mine has 82k miles on it, Hoping I don't have to replace an engine anytime soon!
    The radio that fits in the Prizm is available at almost any car stereo installer and if you do not want to spend too much then try Best Buy or Circuit City type stores. They offer an adapter plate that will fit a standard CD/Radio or a special sized radio that is about twice the size of the standard deck that will fit in your Prizm. I have a 95 and have replaced the original CD/Cassette/Radio with a CD/Radio. Cost me about $160 installed.

How long will Prizm last? As you probably know the Prizm motor is exactly same as Corolla motor and Corolla has reputation as one of the most reliable cars made. Should easily last 140-175K with routine maintenance, and some last 300K or longer.
    it had a cd factory cd player, when i got it it also has a few items that were called only o the LSI model,sunroof,power wind and locks,imtermitent wipers,abs brake,power mirrors, cruise,titl,better looking seat fabric than base, ive been tol itsa base model and that the vin# supports
    it had a cd factory cd player, when i got it it also has a few items that were called only o the LSI model,sunroof,power wind and locks,imtermitent wipers,abs brake,power mirrors, cruise,titl,better looking seat fabric than base, ive been tol itsa base model and that the vin# supports that the only idea i got is that the original owner maybe oredred those options but if woulda been hundreds and hundred for thoose seperate,insted of getting the lsi any ideas???!!!
  • mukasa7mukasa7 Member Posts: 2
    I found the website you were talking about and I plan on getting the owner's manual. By the way, after all the paperwork I finally picked up my car today. I'm very excited and nervous. I've never owned a car before.

My next question is how does one set the blasted clock and station presets? I have the Geo radio/tape setup. I can't figure it out. Help!
  • rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    I bought a used 95 Geo Prism LSI, 5 speed with 26K miles in November'97 for $9,600. In May '99, with 59K miles, I sold it for $7,700.

I loved the car. It was well built, fit and finish was good. The 1.6L engine got a little loud at 75-80mph, but it did OK. No shakes or vibration in steering. It was a solid car for its size and weight. As soon as I bought it, I replaced the 175/65-14 tires with Firestone FT70C 185/65-14. Good tires in ice and snow.
    I bought and put on MOLDED front splash guards from Toyota dealer. I just told the guy I needed splash gurds for a '95 Toyota Corolla. GM dealer did not carry any type of splash guards for Geo.

My two complaints with Geo Prism were; slightly small room that got to me on 2-4 hour trips, specially lack of room to stretch my left leg. I am 5 9 and 185 Ibs. I don't know how taller people can take these small cars. the second complaint was the heater, it never heated up decently. I took it to the dealer twice and I was told the heater was working as designed!! Well, the dealer was worthless. They did not know and did not want to work on it. My sister's Tercel had an excellent heater.

Geo Prism is built on the same assembly line as Toyota Corollas are. The cars are built in a joint venture between GM and Toyota. With the exception of skin; fenders, bumpers, doors, headlights, and taillights the cars are identical.

I was getting 32(doing 75MPH)or 37 doing 60 MPH on highway. If your are looking for a good small car, Geo Prism is a good choice. Toyota reliability at Chevy Cavelier price.

Good luck finding a good one.
    good luck.
    recently i've noticed that the front end &steerig in my car has really gotten lousy over the month, same tires seemk good.the steering wheel just doenst have that tite feel anymore.and it shimmies back n forth u can look at it and its mooving back n forth when driving stering wheel,when u turn the wheel when the steering wheel is centering after a return u can fell the wheel shiming.doenst seem to affec the handling, worst when cold? theere is also a noise from the front left tire area. it sounds just like a rubbing brake but there new and have beem checked ad there fine and the tire is fine too.brake shop said maybe a bearing.?? thanks brett