Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• Options
    infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    i have 16,500 miles on my 02 and already it seems like the tires should be replaced soon. how much mileage has anyone else got on their original firestones? other than this, rear seatbelts that wouldn't retract, and an occasional speaker buzz, i have had no issues with this great car and plan on keeping it for a very long time. i wish i could have said the same about my 00 alero.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, Toyota puts crappy tires on the Corollas and Prizms. I replaced mine with Michelin X-1's at 24,000 miles and I couldn't believe how much more traction I got! You'll love the Prizm (Corolla). It is ultra-reliable.
  • Options
    reddysrreddysr Member Posts: 1
    Dear friends,

I own a 2000 5 speed chevy prizm. I noticed that whenever I turn on the defogger it will start the Air conditioning . I can see the green light even though A/C is turned off . Is it some thing abnormal and should I need to take it for inspection?
    Any info on the above is greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    It's supposed to do that (most newer cars run the AC compressor with the defroster in just this way).
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Not running the air compressor leads to the system drying out. Contrary to myth, not running a car and its systems does NOT "preserve it".
  • Options
    oldman4oldman4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I purchased a used (former rental car) 2000 Chevy Prism with around 26,000 miles on it.

At less than 37,000 miles I keep smelling coolant after the engine is warm. A local dealer which has serviced the car for about 2 years can find nothing major wrong. Taking it to a private mechanic, I find a potential head gasket failure.

Any one else with either a Prism (2000) or Corolla have such an issue? The coolant is in good shape and I have used "by the book" maintenance on this car so far. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    It is unfortunately possible that the vehicle was abused in its first ownership. I really have a hard time believing that the 1.8L engine in this car would suffer from such early head gasket failure, but I'm sure it is possible, and I'm no mechanic. Can you bring it back to the dealership and tell them that you think the problem may be impending head gasket failure? Perhaps this wouldnt be well received? I'm sorry that I cant help more, but good luck. You might also want to try posting on the Toyota Corolla thread.

~alpha
  • Options
    according2meaccording2me Member Posts: 236
    You could do an oil analysis to see if coolant is in the oil.

<url>http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html</url>
  • Options
    anon70anon70 Member Posts: 82
    i drive it 250+ miles/week. so far only replaced rear glass because of defogger problem (under warrenty). oil changes 7.5k miles. tires/brakes still good. but only ~36mpg on highway from day 1. :(

Had a Technical service bulletin that the dealer didnt know how to fix because the TSb didnt say how to fix it:

Component Description:
    7. FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP NHTSA Number: 264478
    Bulletin Number: 42
    Bulletin Date: FEB 2002

Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Prizm
    Summary:
    SUBJECT REGARDING DEFECTIVE GAS CAPS. *TT
  • Options
    hess7hess7 Member Posts: 4
    Have a chance to buy a 99 prizm that was used as a tow vehicle for 15,000 miles, vehicle currently has 73,000, vehicle was towed behind an RV vehicle. Would this make any diff. or create any future problems? Vehicle looks good except for paint pealing on rear bumper, I believe that was a problem on some of these cars. Thanks Harry
  • Options
    tharpmtharpm Member Posts: 1
    Since I purchased my Prizm (new), I've had a problem with the airbag light blinking. Sometimes it goes away by itself for a few months, then comes back. I read in the manual that this indicates a problem with the SIDE airbags.

Anyway, I brought it in to the dealer numerous times, and the problem always came back. I brought it in again recently for the same problem, and now they want to charge me for diagnosis. I called GM to appeal, but they said it's their "policy" and there's nothing they can do about it.

I took the advice in post #330 in this discussion group, and submitted a complaint to NHTSA. Is there anything else I can do? Have others in this group experienced this problem?

I'm also curious as to whether the blinking light problem represents an actual danger (misfiring or non-firing airbags), or if it is just a sensor malfunction.
  • Options
    jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Anyone buy a used GM Certified Prizm? I'm curious about how the car was reconditioned...new tires, wiper blades, anything? The price seems very good...I'm seeing 01 and 02 Prizms for under $10K with less than 20K miles.
  • Options
    donelsondonelson Member Posts: 2
    Have a shot at a 2002 Prizm at a pretty good price for a car with only 17K miles and warranty left. But it doesn't have overdrive. Engine seems to work hard at 60 mph. Should I stay clear of this one and look for a Prizm with overdrive? Thanks, donelson
  • Options
    dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    I have a non-overdrive 93 Prizm and yes it does work hard, and get less gas millage. It also has 181k miles and the drivetrain is solid(it looks nasty though)

If your going to do a tom of freeway driving I'd opt for an overdrive car, unless you can get a really killer deal on this one.
  • Options
    what's the price of the 02 prizm? i bought mine new, it has 18,000 miles, and it's a manual but with almost all options. i'm just curious of the price. it is a great car, but the tires aren't. i'll replace them soon.

gmcertified: ask the dealer for the 100 point inspection list. i bought a gmcertified venture last year. things aren't necessarily reconditioned-just checked. but do check to be sure things were actually checked. on mine the air and cabin filters were both filthy yet they were on the list as having been checked. i made them change both-the cabin filters would have cost me $50 from gm!
  • Options
    donelsondonelson Member Posts: 2
    Dealer had the prizm on his lot at least all month at $10500. We are now down to 8500, and its the end of the month. I expect him to move more. donelson
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • Options
    johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    I have the same problem on my '99 Prism. It first happened while under warranty and their supposed fix was a loose connector. Of course it came back when out of warranty. It seems to come on during cold weather as it has been blinking for most of the winter. Two weeks ago it went out. That is also when the warm weather got here.
    Don't know what I am going to do about it.
  • Options
    johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    The owners manual for my 1999 Prism on page 5-27 states that the wheel nut torque should be 76 lb-ft. Inside the back cover it states it should be 100 lb-ft.

Any one know what it really should be??

Thanks.
  • Options
    corny_04963corny_04963 Member Posts: 10
    I took the original Equipment Firestones off my Wife's new 2002 Prizm when we rotated on the snows and put them on my son's 97 Geo, since we live in Maine and he drives in Mass. with less snow. We always run studs in the winter up here with better traction on the ice than with a 4x4 pickup without studs. I just replaced the Firestones on the 97 with Goodyears. The Firestones had less than 25K on them and the sidewalls were all checked and cracked. The Service Rep at the auto center called it "dry rot". Have not had good luck with Firestones on any of my vehicles from the standpoint of treadwear and vibration, including on my full size GMC. Going with a better quality brand from any other manufacturer would be a wise move from both a tread life and safety standpoint.
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I'm looking at buying a used '99 Prism (automatic)w/ 60k miles. My question is when does the timing belt need changing on them? Is it at 60K?

Thanks,

Leo
  • Options
    leo: the 99 priZm has a timing chain, not belt. try searching for previous posts for more info.

corny: i'm at about 22k now on my original firestones. they're bad, i'll change them in june.

donelson: did you get the certified prizm?
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Thanks to everyone for their help. I just purchased a '99 Chevy Prizm for my wife to learn to drive on. Looks like a nice little car.

Regards,

Leo
  • Options
    prizmlsiprizmlsi Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1995 Geo LSI with 85,000 on a 1.6 engine and have gotten the timing belt replaced. I see that at 60,000 Geo recommends a valve adjustment. Has anyone gotten a valve adjustment and do these engines really need them. Is this a do it yourself job? Thanks!!!
  • Options
    asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    We had a 96 base Prizm for 3 years (99-2001), and passed it to a relative. No valve adjusments, just oil, filter, and appropriate fluid changes. It is still on the original timing belt at 140k; the serpentine belt was worn and was recently replaced ($200).
  • Options
    kate2002kate2002 Member Posts: 4
    How good is the GEO Prizm for performance and reliability. Does $1900.00 sound like a good price?
  • Options
    Check the price on this website. Also, take to a good mechanic to check. The Prizm is really a rebadged Toyota Corolla, so it is extremely reliable and efficient. Is it automatic or stick? I will tell you why I'm asking when I know your answer.
  • Options
    danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    Had to replace a O2 sensor on my Daughter's 97 Prizm, she has about 80,000 miles now. Has any one else had to replace their O2 sensor and at what mileage? Also what was the cost? I paid $60.00 for a B/W replacement O2 sensor and replaced it myself. I used an Xrayauto scanner to find the trouble code.
  • Options
    snowdoggsnowdogg Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know as I may buy one and like going to junkyards to get my own parts.

Also are the part #'s the same?

thanks!!
  • Options
    Not sure this helps you, but most body panels (hood, trunk, etc.) are different on the same-gen Prizms and Corollas.
  • Options
    aru_cararu_car Member Posts: 1
    Hi Im looking of buying a 97 geo prism lsi, but im not sure whether its similar to Toyota corolla engine of same year or not.Can any one experienced person with this type of cars help me here about this. Also the owners Manual says that the timing belt (costs around 500$ plus at local dealership) needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles, but the usual corolla of similar year needs timing belt replacement at 90,000 miles.where can this be done at a cheaper price.Can any one help me here ??? How is the performance,Maintenance and reliability look for this car compared to Toyota ???

thanks,
  • Options
    transmission, etc. The only real difference is the body panels and some interior trim. Timing belt - I had mine done for $99 at a Toyota dealer. If one wants to charge you $500, look elsewhere. You should not pay more than $300, at the very most. If timing belt breaks, you just stop, because Toyotas are mostly non-interference. Lots of other makes, like Honda, use interference engines, so if the belt breaks, the engine is probably destroyed. This car was built along side the Toyota in Fremont, California. It should be very reliable and the same maintenance. You can get the car serviced at a Toyota dealer or a GM dealer.
  • Options
    hisiennahisienna Member Posts: 4
    Recently I noticed that the blue portion on my wife's 98 prizm's trunk emblem had come off. Easiest fix is to get another emblem, either brand new or from salvage yard, is what I think. Anyone have other suggestions?
  • Options
    $99 for the belt part only? With part and labour, I was quoted about $250 for a 96 Prizm at an independent mechanic - decided to forego the replacement since the engine, as you pointed out, is non-intereference (and at 140 kmiles, I'll just wait until the belt or something more expensive breaks).
  • Options
    get the emblem from the dealer. they are fairly inexpensive (about $10-$12) and all you do is peel off the sticker-backing and press into place. be sure it's lined up correctly before pressing tho. if you got it from a junkyard, you would have to clean off the old foam-backing then reapply with some type of glue. it seems like too much of a hassle to me.
  • Options
    ted2ted2 Member Posts: 1
    I am concerned about the purchase of a 96-350,000mile GEO Pizm. The auto looks in great shape, one owner since 10,000mile purchase. Am I looking for trouble with this purchase? Besides the needed mechanical check is the engine ready to fall out at this level of milage.
    Funds are tight. The auto is for my teens travel to school and youth group. All within 10-15 min from home. Autos are not my forte.
  • Options
    As a former owner of a 96 Prizm (still driven by my sister-in-law), and a current owner of an 02, I'll share my experiences.

The 96 is currently at 140k miles, and while mostly problem free, it burns a bit of oil and leaks some. About a quart per 1000 miles is added to it. While this can be fixed, it just does not seem economical.

If any (cheap) car can go over 300000 miles, it is the Prizm. However, you should consider other Prizms, with lower mileage. I understand that funds are tight, and I don't know if you live in or close to a larger city, with ready access to used cars for sale. In any case, I would look for something fresher. I routinely see 98-99 Prizms with 70-90k miles advertized in the local Minneapolis newspaper for 3-3.5k. If this is way more than what you are planning to spend, I would look for an older model, but still with the lower mileage.
  • Options
    Yes, the $99 was for the belt AND labor, but this was 3 years ago. I would say $200 is probably the best you can do now, and $250 is not bad.
  • Options
    clobyrclobyr Member Posts: 3
    I've found a 1999 Prizm with 12500 miles. Right now, I'm not sure if it is a 3 speed or 4 speed w/OD. Would you recommend 3 speed or should I steer clear of it. Driving pattern will be mix of freeway to work, surface & local streets from work to home and definitely some hills to climb on the weekends, to Santa Cruz, Lake Tahoe etc. What are the advantages of 4 speed w/OD versus 3 speed? Your input is appreciated!
  • Options
    The 3-speed automatic will give you less mpg because it will be turning higher rpm's, which also means it is noisier on the highway. It is not bad, though, but the 4 speed is better. Just look at the side of the gear selector - if it has another push button below the regular push button for the shift interlock, it is a 4 speed. But most of the 99's have 3 speed autos, and they will be fine for your purpose - take it for a drive to see if the extra rpm's annoy you. They will be both extremely reliable. Just drain and fill transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Of course, the best Corolla (Prizm) is the 5 speed manual - highest mpg, lowest noise, and most fun.
  • Options
    Thanks a million for your help and advice. It is definitely a 3 speed I took it to AAA this morning. I think I'm going to go for it. Hopefully it will last me a long time! Thanks again.
  • Options
    noname_17noname_17 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Prizm Lsi with about 110,000 miles on it that I haven't had any problems with until now. When it has been sitting for a while (like over night) it is hard to start. Even when it does start, it usually dies again as soon as I start to drive, and I have to start it again. Does anyone know what I could do to stop this from happening?
  • Options
    dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    I drove a 93 with a 3sp and what was said before was true.(noise, mpg, etc) I drove it as my daily commuter for 5 years after inheriting it from my wife.

At 180k it's mechanically sound, but it has a real case of the uglies. I replaced it with a used Accord, and will be donating it charity.
  • Options
    Hi there again,
    dverespey, thanks for the reply.

Well I finalized the purchase of the 1999 Prizm with 12598 miles on it, on Saturday last. AAA Diagnostic came back with 'minor leak on left front axle shaft housing seal and minor seepage on right'. At the time of the diagnostic, AAA told me that to have this fixed would be 2.5 - 3 hours in labor plus parts.

Curiously I called AAA today to get a recommendation for a shop to do the work and the guy I spoke to today basically told me he thought it highly unlikely the car has this problem with so few miles. I asked him to speak to the tech who had done the inspection. The tech told him that the leak was so minor it is nothing to worry about and that I could monitor it myself by putting some card board under the vehicle to see if any oil is leaking.

They also suggested they could add some dye,have me drive it some miles and bring it back to them. They said this would tell for sure if there is a leak to worry about.

Anyone out there familiar with this kind of problem, should I worry about it or 'not' as they suggested? Should I do the dye thing for my own peace of mind? Any help is much appreciated.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Anyone know how to replace lamp in instrument panel? The lamp for gas gauge is out. 1995 Prizm LSI.
  • Options
    naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Hi, I have been active on the Chrysler 300M forum since buying a new one a few months ago. I helped my 24 yr old daughter buy an 01 Prizm with 29K miles. The car was lease return and certified GM at local Buick dealer where I have a 2nd cousin salesman, so figured it's as good as any assurance it's a good car...they put on new tires, alignment, bunchof other smaller stuff and had to fix the door latch. We got it for $7700 just under book.
    Anyway, I noticed the tranny fluid is a little gray, which they showed me was checked off ok, but I have not seen anything other than a pinkish fluid before. We have to get an owners manual mailed to us, but does Chevy/Toyota have a special type of fluid or to be safe should I have her do an exchange now that it's almost at 30K mi? She's headed back to Madison so I want to ensure this lasts as long as all the reviews say it should (trust me we were getting nickled/dimed by her old 92 Corsica so I am sure this will be MUCH better). THANKS.
  • Options
    I would definitely change it now, since you don't know the prior ownership's habits. I would be concerned that the fluid is grayish after only 30,000. I have never seen one with grayish fluid, even after 50,000 and never changed. Also, note that with a drain and refill that you will only replace a portion of the fluid, since more than half of the fluid remains in an automatic transmission, even with the drain plug removed. That's why it is important to do this every 30,000. Oh, make sure to put the exact same kind of fluid in (says on the dipstick and owner's manual.)
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Just changed the fuel filter (had to replace part of fuel line too, fitting was impossible to remove by me or by mechanic:( on 95 Prizm LSI 1.8L 4 spd auto with 117K prior to taking trip. Averaged 37 mpg on two tanks of fuel with mixed driving of 70 mph interstate, 60 mph stop and go rural two lane highway and some city driving. I'm impressed. The car is well maintained and still runs like new and tracks well at interstate speeds. Not a big surprise with Toyota mechanicals but I'm still very happy.

IMO the 93-97 Corolla/Prizm models are the best versions made.
  • Options
    burakbegenburakbegen Member Posts: 1
    What is the exact difference between LSi and Standard for 99 Prism. I checked Edmunds.com, it says power mirrors is standard for LSi, but I am buying a 99 Prism without power mirrors (it has power windows, ABS, AC, cruise etc). I checked CarFax Report it says it is a LSi model, I am confused, if it is a LSi according to VIN number, how come the power mirrors are not standard? And do you know anymore differences like in gas mileage, performance, etc? Thank you...
  • Options
    98-02 Prizms LSI had, I believe, standard power door locks and windows. Also folding rear seat. The engine and transmission choices on the LSI and base are the same.