Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• butch11butch11 Member Posts: 153
    What is SIPS.

Used to helio-ski when I lived in the south-by accident got involved with a group of extremely wealthy people-spent a week or 2 with them in a mountain resort every winter. Got to know them quite well-none of the people in this group drove "flash" high end vehicles-several had your basic beaters-they also wore really plain clothes. One guy sold a company he started for over $80 million-showed up that year with a new pair of sneakers to replace the falling apart pair he wore every year-we really ribbed him for spending money on new sneakers-they were Caldor specials for $7. If you really got wealth and know it-you do not have to flaunt wealth.
  • tim98tim98 Member Posts: 16
    I see 626 has been compared to Camry's in this group. I work for a rental company, thus I get to drive Camry's, 626's, Contours, Breeze's, Intrepids and Taurus's. The Camry is clearly my favorite car on the lot. The Mazda 626 is a great car, but, it does not feel as solid and strong as the Camry. I can notice major similarities between the 626 and the Contour. It is no surprise Ford has interest in the 626.

I enjoy driving the Intrepids, but the Camry is much better.

I apologize for comparing so many cars, but I must vote for the Camry as my best choice.
  • jkrolakjkrolak Member Posts: 38
    Car and Driver rates the new Mitsubishi Galant as the top car over Honda Accord and Toyota Camry for 2000. Who wooda thought...
  • quattro_pearlquattro_pearl Member Posts: 51
    It tested out higher because of the low price, V6 and amenities. Even w/v6 it's still slow, although it looks good. I wish mitsu had kept the VR4 and GS models. I miss my GS though
  • brzozowskibrzozowski Member Posts: 1
    I've done some research on the mentioned vehicles. For long term owership what would be the best value. 5 plus years. Any information would be helpful
  • prebmwprebmw Member Posts: 23
    The web site www.AutoSite.com has tables already computed for 5 year ownership costs. I have found it very helpful.
  • skechskech Member Posts: 2
    I had a 95 Jetta iii and it was fun to drive handled awesome looked super cool and was always in the shop. I had an oil leak that the Volkswagen dealer mechanics had to call vw about. They replaced seals in it three times until they found out that at some other seal it was sucking air and blowing the new ones out. Then the sunroof frame broke and it cost $1200 to fix. Then all the dash lights went out, the cruise-sometimes it would work and then it wouldn't. I could feel a slight shock in my foot when it was on the gas peddal if I was trying to run the cruise. then the door locks weren't reliable to always turn to unlock the car, then the exhaust, then the ignition didn't want to turn-especially if it was really cold-you'd have to fidget with it- all this at about 50,000 miles. Man I loved that car but I couldn't take it anymore. Wish stuff would last on them like the Honda's-that's where I'm headed. I guess if I could get my hands on a Corrado I'd go vw again, but other than that I'm done. Sorry VW
  • skechskech Member Posts: 2
    I had a 95 Jetta iii and it was fun to drive handled awesome looked super cool and was always in the shop. I had an oil leak that the Volkswagen dealer mechanics had to call vw about. They replaced seals in it three times until they found out that at some other seal it was sucking air and blowing the new ones out. Then the sunroof frame broke and it cost $1200 to fix. Then all the dash lights went out, the cruise-sometimes it would work and then it wouldn't. I could feel a slight shock in my foot when it was on the gas peddal if I was trying to run the cruise. then the door locks weren't reliable to always turn to unlock the car, then the exhaust, then the ignition didn't want to turn-especially if it was really cold-you'd have to fidget with it- all this at about 50,000 miles. Man I loved that car but I couldn't take it anymore. Wish stuff would last on them like the Honda's-that's where I'm headed. I guess if I could get my hands on a Corrado I'd go vw again, but other than that I'm done. Sorry VW Oh, yeah forgot to say that I'm tall and I never have sat in a car more adapt for the tall. My head would never touch the roof if I did my hair big that day and I never felt like I was looking into the visor. Haven't found another car yet I can say that about.
  • colicincolicin Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to vent about some irritating features of these cars that make the purchase decision an avoidance/avoidance problem, as I seem to recall it described in psych 101.

Camry: The side view mirrors don't fold! I have an 87 camry which does have folding mirrors - a feature I use regularly here in France where I live. OK, maybe we have narrower streets than California, but I used them alot in america, too, before I moved here. What where they thinking?? Does anyone know of fix for this?

Accord: I can live with the non-split rear folding seat, but would it have been so hard to make it split like everyone else's? If you need to use it you're down to a 2-seater. And who cares what the temperature is INSIDE the car? That's like designing a refrigerator where the light goes off when you OPEN the door.

Passat: that roof antenna! the dealer told me I could just unscrew it if I need to carry something big on the roof (like my sailboard, which I carry often on my camry roof), but I'm sure he's wrong - it'll be stolen long before Spring. What do those things cost to replace - and do they sell them by the dozen?

Acura 3.2 - can't even consider this one, even though it's about the same price as the Passat GLX and has great reviews and is loaded with features. this rear seat doesn't fold down at all! Do they think the car is so expensive you can't afford any other possessions and so will never have to carry anything bigger than suitcase. The little "pass-through" (which probably cost them more to install than a simple fold-down seat would have) is just about big enough for a broom handle or a ski pole, but not at the same time. I felt insulted just sitting in the car.

There, now I feel better.
  • raymond9raymond9 Member Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to get a Acura Integra GS-R
    Sedan for $20,970. This includes Taxes,
    Registration, Floor Mats, and Destination Charges.
    I'll be getting to get rid of my 1997 Honda Civic
    EX Coupe(automatic/127hp). Should I talk my wife
    into doing it. BTW I have a 1993 Volvo 940 that
    serves the role of the family car.
  • justtravelingjusttraveling Member Posts: 2
    Peeves:

I agree about the pass through on the Acura TL! And last year they didn't even have that! So the little hole is better than nothing.
  • isell_mitsus1isell_mitsus1 Member Posts: 23
    The Accord has a 60/40 split in LX and EX models. The DX has a full folding bench.
  • gasboygasboy Member Posts: 1
    I have the CD player with the 6 speaker system in my 2000 Accord EX. The 4 speakers up front sound great, but the 2 rear deck speakers are only about half as loud and have hardly any treble. Is this normal?
  • hammerghammerg Member Posts: 13
    I agree, the sound up front in the EX isn't bad at all, whereas the rear speakers are boomy and dull.
  • kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    From my experiences, the Honda Accords are by far and away the best cars out there. I've owned both Camrys and Accords, and the Accords are a better, bigger, more reliable car that is more fun to drive. The Camrys are a blah ride to me. My extended family all have Accords, and they've all got a minimum of 170 K miles out of them. Passat's are too expensive.
    My headhunter told me a funny/not so funny story yesterday. He had, (emphasis on HAD) a '98 Jetta, which he liked. Some chick in a 10 year old Accord, lost control of her car and ran into his brick garage, going THROUGH the wall. Totalling the Jetta on the other side of the wall ($14000 worth of damage, covered in bricks and debris). The Honda was able to DRIVE AWAY. Hard to believe, but that's what he told me. Anyway part 2. He got a 2000 Jetta 1 or 2 months ago. With <150 miles on it, he noted some problems w/ the engine so he brings it to the dealer. 16 days later he gets the car back w/ a totally rebuilt engine. Something about a problem w/ the pistons. Okay, so now he's driving the car after this. Less than a week goes by and he notes something wrong w/ the engine again. He takes it back and after a day they claim it's a rattle in the hood latch. He says "no way" and they recheck it. Sure enough, it's another serious engine problem. This is ongoing, so I don't know the nature of this latest problem. To VW's credit they're attempting to correct the problem. But the lemon law in NY is 20 days in the shop when new and he's at 18 and counting. I'll follow up if I find out anything more. What a bummer!
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I don't understand why people often relate Accords to boring cars out there. Either they have looked it from a distance, or never really driven like it should be. I preferred it over Passat in my own comparo back in '97 October.

gasboy:
    The front speakers are nice in the Accord (I've EX), but the rear speakers disappoint. If I wanted a better audio output, I'd just replace the rear speakers with better ones.

'98 Accord EX (Black) / 39K miles (and feels new)
    I spoke to my buddy yesterday. VW is REPLACING the engine with a brand new one. They also told him if any other problems arise, they will replace the car. Although the problems overall are horrendous, VW is walking the talk and taking care of him. Gotta commend them for that, at least.
  • vickilvickil Member Posts: 3
    JUST SIGNED UP ON A 2000 EX V6 FOR 22.45K HOPE TO DRIVE IT AWAY TOMORROW. SHOPPED CAMRY'S , SOLARA & MADE ATTEMPT AT MILLENIA S. VISITED 1ST HONDA DEALER AND WAS OFFERED 2% OFF MSRP. HE SAID IT WAS A SUPPLY & DEMAND THING. GOT ON CARPOINT THAT EVENING; SENT OUT RFQ; FIRST RESPONSE WAS OFFER FOR 22.85 : TWO HOURS LATER REQUOTED BY SAME DEALER @22.45...HOW DOES THAT SOUND...OTHER DEALER DECLINE TO MAKE OFFER, SAID MY DEAL WAS "AGGRESSIVE PRICING"
    Sounds like a good deal vickil. What color are you buying?
  • kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    I don't believe Car and Driver's rankings. Give it 7 years and see how many of the 2000 Passats are on the road compared to Accords and Camrys.
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    Well, I do see VW beetles from '60s and
    early '70s on the road,after forty years or
    so. How many forty year old Toyotas/Hondas
    have you seen?
    DEAR ISELL MITSUS 1;

COLOR IS "SATIN SILVER METALLIC"
    SEEMS TO PICK UP OTHER COLORS BEAUTIFULLY AT LEAST IN THE EVENING UNDER LIGHTS.
    COLOR LOOK RICH TO ME.

DEALER INCLUDES FULL SET OF HONDA FLOOR MAT'S AT NO CHARGE (INTERNET BONUS)

IF ANYONE IN THE NEW ENGLAND AREA DESIRES REFERAL FOR DEALER LET ME KNOW. THERE IS 50.00 IN IT FOR REFERAL BUT THAT ASIDE; AFTER HUNTING THE SEDAN MARKET FOR 2-1/2 WEEKS, MY SALESMAN WAS UP FRONT,
    COMPETATIVE, QUICK, PAINLESS AND NO GAMES WHATSOEVER.

PICKING UP THIS AFTERNOON: HOPE EVERYTHING GOES OK
    I'VE BEEN DRIVING A 1994 CADDY CONCOURS (MUTED RED) FOR 4YEARS AND I EXCITED WITH THIS NEW BABY.
    DEAR ISELL MITSUS 1;

COLOR IS "SATIN SILVER METALLIC"
    SEEMS TO PICK UP OTHER COLORS BEAUTIFULLY AT LEAST IN THE EVENING UNDER LIGHTS.
    COLOR LOOK RICH TO ME.

DEALER INCLUDES FULL SET OF HONDA FLOOR MAT'S AT NO CHARGE (INTERNET BONUS)

IF ANYONE IN THE NEW ENGLAND AREA DESIRES REFERAL FOR DEALER LET ME KNOW. THERE IS 50.00 IN IT FOR REFERAL BUT THAT ASIDE; AFTER HUNTING THE SEDAN MARKET FOR 2-1/2 WEEKS, MY SALESMAN WAS UP FRONT,
    COMPETATIVE, QUICK, PAINLESS AND NO GAMES WHATSOEVER.

PICKING UP THIS AFTERNOON: HOPE EVERYTHING GOES OK
    I'VE BEEN DRIVING A 1994 CADDY CONCOURS (MUTED RED) FOR 4YEARS AND I EXCITED WITH THIS NEW BABY.
    They sold about 700,000 beetles from the 60-70's. From that number what % do you think is still on the road. I know I don't see very many of them. And Toyota and Honda were not around when the Beetle came out...so.......

vickil: You must be getting a V6 Coupe if you are getting the Satin Silver. Great looking car if you did get the Silver Coupe.
  • ricekingriceking Member Posts: 1
    hi, vickil i am in the market for a car and i already own 94accordlx and this time i was looking for a different make, but if i get a good deal like yours, rather i will go fora honda again. could u please give me that dealer's address,particularly sales person's name and i thank u in advance.
  • drifterdrifter Member Posts: 4
    I'm planning to purchase a new car in a month or so, and I've narrowed my choices down to either an Oldsmobile Alero GL3 w/ feature package & upgraded sound system (no leather, no sunroof), or a Honda Accord EX (because you can't get ABS with LX model, according to Edmunds). I haven't decided weather to opt for I4 or V6 for the Accord. I realize these two cars are in different class in terms of size & price. I've come down to these choices after having rented each of them for a week each on vacations.

Can the owners of these two cars tell me about the cars? No, I don't want to hear anything about other Oldsmobile cars or other Hondas. Just Alero & Accord. I'd like to know how much you've paid for them, how much you were able to knock off the MSRP, etc etc. I also need to know if either cars are reliable.

Another concern: according to Edmunds, you can't get cloth trip with Accord EX V6. Are leather seats comfortable for your back?

Accord LX owners: if it's possible to get LX with ABS (can Edmunds be wrong?), please let me know.

Thanks
  • nappynappy Member Posts: 1
    Vickil, I am also looking to buy a honda. Can
    you give me the name of you dealer too. Thanks
  • DaleRKDaleRK Member Posts: 2
    I have to agree with An...

Bought the Accord EX in March '98, have 31,000 miles and zero problems. Changed the oil, checked the fluids, one flat tire (fixed for free at local tire place)....perfect vehicle so far. On long trips I get about 32mpg at 70-75mph on cruise. The car passes effortlessly, and is straight as an arrow into the 80's. Without cruise control I'm sure I would have had a couple of tickets.

The cd-stereo is great, and I have to continually turn the volume down after my wife gets finished using it. Fit and finish (always garaged) is very nice, no squeaks or noises yet.

I can't imagine a more reliable, better handling, long distance driving sedan out there.

Dale
  • davew7davew7 Member Posts: 2
    My 96 AccordEX with 40500 miles needs a new exhaust. Does this sound like it might be a sign of maintenance issues with this car? Has anyone else come across an exhaust job needed at 40k? The lease is up soon and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it out. Thanks
    I find it fairly amazing even if 1 car from
    forty years ago is still on the road. I give
    VW credit for it. I see some domestics from
    that era as well.
    When did Honda start making cars for the US market? Early/late '70s? Don't see any of them on the road today. Probably in 'rust-heaven'.
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    Maybe if you weren't trying to start an invalid argument you'd probably see some too. What percentage of VW Things are left running? What about VW Rabbits? Old Jettas? Ever seen a VW Dasher or 412? Bugs are collectors items so of course they are still running. You can literally built a bug from scratch in some catalogs. And you wanna see "rust heaven" go check out a air-cooled VW repair shop. They invariably have "dead bugs" strewn all about.
    And as far as domestic cars, other than collectors items it is fairly infrequent to see any of their cars from the late 70's also that are in good condition. Especially domestics that compare to early 70's Hondas.
  • tonyantonyan Member Posts: 10
    Go see this guys site

http://www.myvwlemon.com
  • hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    Mildly interesting site about a person aggravated over a dealership's inability to properly repair one problem with his or her car. Other than feeling sorry for the person, is there a point you wish to make about VWs in general?
  • jin_satxjin_satx Member Posts: 40
    You can pretty much go to my??lemmon.com, where ?? represents every model of car sold in this country. Somwhere out there is a disguntled buyer for every model sold in the U.S., so what's your point?????
  • tonyantonyan Member Posts: 10
    Just giving out an address for people that might want to vent their vw problems. That was the only point.
  • fiordaafiordaa Member Posts: 1
    Live in NJ and looking at both the Passat GLS 4cyl. 5spd and the Accord EX 4cyl 5spd. Test drove both, and enjoyed the Passat more. Thoughts on repair costs, reliability, and relative value would be greatly appreciated.
  • jin_satxjin_satx Member Posts: 40
    I own both a 00 Accord EXLV6, the wifes, and a 00 Passat GLX V6, mine. I preferred the Passat. I purchased both cars about the same time and both of them have been defect and trouble free. I think they are both good cars, but the Passat is much more fun to drive!!!!!!!

For more info on the Passat, please check out the following web-sites.

www.vwvortex.com www.clubb5.com
  • ksatbjhksatbjh Member Posts: 14
    I also looked at the two cars you mentioned. I really like the styling of the Passat, but finding a 5 speed in my area was impossible and the Passat's automatic/4cyl. was really gutless compared to the Accord 5 spd. when we test drove.
    I ended up with the Accord 5 spd. EX because I was able to get it for several thousand cheaper than a comparably equipped Passat (in my area), the long term maintenance costs of the Passat are supposed to be pretty high, and because I like the interior layout of the Accord better - especially the cup holders.
    I still think the Passat is a very sharp looking car, but I personally don't care to pay a premium for it. As far as the Accord goes, I've had it for several months now, and both my wife (its primary driver) and I enjoy it very much. It's been flawless.
    Good luck in your search.
  • vw_guy53vw_guy53 Member Posts: 1
    Go for the Passat. For the money, no other car out there offers the same kind of value, features, engineering, safety, fit/finish, material quality, driving pleasure, utility, etc. in a single package.

Still, some may cry that the Passat's expensive. Really? Well from the awards that this car has received and from the reviews I've read, I beg to differ. Most sources seem to agree that the Passat is constructed and drives as well as many cars costing $30K+. Not bad for a car that can be had out the door for less than $22K MSRP. AND that base car includes 4-wheel discs w/ABS, keyless entry, power everything, trip computer, front AND side airbags, cruise, basic engineering shared with the costlier Audi A4, tops in class safety.....the list goes on ad nauseam.

I, too, was trying to decide between an Accord EX 4 5sp and the Passat GLS 1.8T 5sp. I currently drive a '91 Honda and was having it serviced the other day. As I waited, I checked out an Accord in the showroom. Having spent a lot of time with the Passat, I was unimpressed with what I saw. Dull styling seen on every street corner as opposed to the elegant and sophisticated design that sets the Passat apart. I lifted the hood. Aesthetic inadequacies aside, where was the double firewall contruction that adds safety and rigidity to the Passat? I opened the trunk. Why aren't the hinges designed to be out of the way and why is the trunk lining so inferior to that found in the Passat? And where's the full-size spare? The Accord gained some respect once I climbed inside, but it still lagged behind the Passat in feel, sturdiness, and design. Plus, side airbags aren't even available with the cloth interior I want. Over time, it's these little things that you may not notice at first that come to be truly appreciated. Furthermore, on the road, the Accord's a great driver. But the Passat's better. VW has excelled in making a car that is equally athletic, quiet, and comfortable.

If you go with the Accord, you may save a little bit at first and get a slightly longer basic warranty. But will Honda pay for your maintenance like VW does? Nope. And if you have a major mechanical failure nice years down the road at 98,000 miles, will Honda pay for all the repairs like VW will? No chance. In the end, since both cars have proven to be very reliable and the difference in depreciation between the Accord and Passat is negligible, doesn't it make sense to pay a little more for routine maintenance and drive the finer car, especially if it's the car you really want? Not that the Accord is a bad car. It's a great car. But the Passat's greatER. So, let the lemmings of the world buy Accords. Anyway, they're the kind of people who won't even know what they're missing when you pass by in your Passat. Think about it.
    "Maybe if you weren't trying to start an invalid
    argument you'd probably see some too."

No, I still do not see any. It was just a personal observation. And I still think '70s Accords
    were rust buckets.

Yes, some VWs and domestics are collector cars
    and no offering from Honda has ever achieved that
    status. I wonder why.
  • sbakersbaker Member Posts: 30
    I know, strictly speaking, my title isn't included in the topic. So, I'll keep it short. Recently, I was new car shopping. I was originally considering two of the cars included in discussions here. In my case, it was an EX (coupe) and the GLX both w/4cyl & 5-spd. Luckily, another car enthusiast turned me on to the Infiniti G20t. It turned out that the G20t is as reliable(actually better according to CR magazine) as the Honda and is better handling/riding than the VW(the European version of the G20 has been rated one of the worlds 10 best handling sedans...period), comes with more features (climate control to name one), a better warranty(4yr/60k b2b), and better dealerships. Best of all, with the current $1500 incentive, a G20t can be bought for the same or less than either(much less the the VW), when comparably equipped. I'm extemely pleased with mine so far. Well, sorry for the digression but...food for thought for anyone looking.
  • titopuentetitopuente Member Posts: 46
    The G20 is definitely a great car. The paint job on that car is amongst the best I've seen in a car in the price range. IMHO its engine lacked a lot of kick with the auto, but 5 spd. was great. I needed to get the auto because my younger sister will inherit the car within a few months and she can't drive 5 spd. The 5 spd. Accord kicked a**. In europe, I believe the G20 is a Nissan Primera or something. You can see them duke it out with Volvo s40's, Accords, and other european cars on BTC (speedvision). I of course root for the Accords.
    IMHO an auto saps much of the driving joy out of all of these cars, or for that matter almost any 4cyl setup. Which, BTW, is why I test drove and immediately eliminated the auto-only Volvo S40. Maybe you should teach your sister how to drive a 5-spd;-) And you're correct in stating that the European G20 is a called a Nissan Primera.

If only I could get speedvision on local cable... hopefully soon:-( Go Nissan!!
  • aquaticaquatic Member Posts: 12
    I own both cars. I have a 1990 Accord and a 1994 Camry. The Camry rides very smooth and is quieter than the Honda. But I have had more serious engine problems with the Camry than the Honda. The Honda has 158,000 miles on it and the Camry has 67,000 miles. In my experience the Honda is the better car for longevity and the Camry is better for the ride and size. Also the G-20 was not rated better than either of these in Consumer Reports.
  • titopuentetitopuente Member Posts: 46
    CR is a great source for rating cars, but it is dangerous to base your opinions on somebody else's reviews. I find the stats for CR very useful, however, the most important thing is to rate the cars yourself. I tested out just about every single sedan on the market (import) and I found the G20 to be lacking room, however, its handling was much sharper than most other cars...the dealer who accompanies me on the tests usually holds on to the handles while I test the cars.

Sbaker: Autos do sap performance out of every single engine. Auto for G20 made it feel torqueless, the Accord had quite a bit of punch with auto.
    Of course, CR is just one source that should be used to evaluate a vehicle. IMHO it can be counted on to be more objective then most. But, it certainly has it's own subjective biases. For instance, I frequently find myself disagreeing with it's assessment of what constitutes inspired handling.

Nothing can substitute for a good test drive. Being a car nut, I constantly drive all manner of vehicles, even when I'm not actually in the market for a new one. It's a hobby of mine that I can indulge due to my proximity to an abundance of overlapping dealers. So, I have first hand experience with most of the import sedans and coupes, as well as many domestic types.

titopuente: I agree, the G20 w/auto, performance wise, is not a great match. I did find the Accord 2.3L w/auto somewhat better, but "punch"... no way. I guess we just define "punch" differently. I found the G20 interior comfortable both front and back and I'm 6'0". It was also one of the few that could accommodate my wife (5'0") in the driver position with a manual. The Accord coupe was another that fit her, but not the Passat, A4, or Solara to name a few. BTW, like you, I'm also fond of white knuckle test drives.

aquatic: CR not only rated the predicted reliability of the '00 G20 significantly higher than the Accord and Camry, but the highest new car... period! All this really says is that when people discuss the advantage of the legendary (and well deserved) quality mystique of the Honda/Toyota cars... they got nothin' on the G20.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I would put G20 against Integra LS/GS/GS-R. That's the market G20 is targeted at. G20 is based off Sentra platform, and Integra shares that with Civic. So there is a similarity, then comes pricing. Ofcourse, Integra with 7-8 year old design needs lot of freshening up, but that's the actual competition.
    Now, for someone looking at a sport sedan in $20-22K range, Integra GS-R and G20t make sense.
    I could be wrong but... I believe the G20 is based on the European Primara which is a different platform then the Sentra. However, it does share it's drivetrain with the new SE and previous SE-R Sentras. Regardless, IMHO, the Integra is more likely to be on the shopping list with cars like the Prelude, Civic SI, Celica, Eclipse, and others that are viewed as being more perfomance oriented and less practical as a daily driver. The "t" in G20t stands for touring and if you drive one, I think you'll find it much more akin to cars like the Audi A4 1.8T and Volvo S40. But, I also think, mainly due to price, that it's a viable alternative to an Integra. It also competes very farvoribly with a Passat, Accord coupe, or Solara in their dressed up 4-cyl versions. They, generally, offer more room but don't have the ride/handling of the G20t which feels much more like the A4. And finally there's the Infiniti name, an intangible quality that again puts it more in the company of an Audi or Volvo.

Categorizing cars is imprecise to say the least. Much of it is perception (a,k,a, marketing hype). More important, is the order of priority an individual assigns to various car attributes. And since every car is a compromise of some sort, things like price, power, size, ride, or prestige can blur the lines quickly.
  • lmrubinlmrubin Member Posts: 1
    I see comparison between Accord and Passat, but no one comparing Gallant with those two. Looking for a good comparison between the three. We will test drive this weekend. We are finishing lease in a few months on a Galant, and enjoy the car -- has been very worry-free during its 40000 miles on a three-year lease. I like a car that rides sporty but I need excellent visibility from back sides, and can fit 5 nicely (two growing kids, etc.).
    From everything I am reading, I may have a difficult decision between the three. What do you all think?