Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

Comments

• jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    You are no going to see anything better than the military/diplomat price while PCS. The US dealers were not budging on M5 price even into its last model year in 02/03. Grab it while you are there.
  • avattavatt Member Posts: 6
    AWAX:

I am also AF, have given my deposit 1wk ago. In Chicago, it is a great deal. Downtown dealership is selling them for 10K over MSRP. All 4 other area dealers at MSRP w/a 1-1 1/2 yr wait. I'm told selling for over 20K in NY. Ebay has slots alone (just the right to purchase) to purchase them b/w starting bids of 2500-20000. I am buying thru Superior Motors MSP. I assume it is them or Pentagon car sales U R dealing with. I am getting Com Acc, HUD and Sat Radio. The process has been great. Delivery in JAN. Let me know your thoughts.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out this fascinating piece: European Touring Sedans in Their Native Lands. Edmunds.com President Jeremy Anwyl spends quality time with a 2005 Quattroporte and a 2005 XJR. He takes a spin through Italy with the Maserati and through Wales and England with the Jag.

The story is compelling and the video is excellent. I had the good fortune to see the video lab in full swing producing this when I was in Santa Monica a few weeks ago.

Check it out and enjoy!
  • awaxawax Member Posts: 8
    What was the price that Superior Motors quoted you? How are they handling the gas guzzler tax?

AWAX
    Awax:

The price SM quotes is same as PCS, since it is thru the Mil. Sales Prog, as offered by BMW. I have spoken to both. It just happened that SM was closer to Qatar (SM is in Bahrain). Both groups are excellent and I have maintained contact w/PCS, even though purch. thru SM. Price as follows:

Base 73,000
    delivery (dealer markup) 2,150
    GG 3,000
    Comf. Acc. 1,000
    HUD 1,000
    Sat Radio 595

Total 80,745

I did not opt for:

full lthr 3,500
    Multi seats 1,900
    Vent seats 800
    Ski/ fold down seats 475
    Rear a/bag 385 (bad for children)
    Rear heat 350
    Power shade 575

I assume your quote is same?

In IL, military R not exempt, so I will have to pay Registration/sales/use tax. For Chicago residents, it is 9%. Ouch!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    You will have to pay the Gas guzzler tax when the car arrives in the US, in addition to the sales tax upon registration, if applicable.
    SM allready built it into the purchase order and I believe they pay it along w/import tax at customs port entry. What is your understanding of process? Also, do my #'s match your quote?
  • awaxawax Member Posts: 8
    avatt,

The prices match exactly. My concern on the GG tax is that it will surprise me when I want to register the car.

Oklahoma excise tax is 3.75% of the actual purchase price paid when registering the car within on month of taking delivery. I am looking at a $3000 hit for that.

I want to ensure that I don't get hit with the GG tax at that time.
    GG is a federal tax, therefore not a part of the state regis. process. My understanding is that we pay GG as a total of the P. O. As you may know, we pay 10% upfront and the rest of total purchase price to BMW of N. A. They are responsible for paying GG tax along w/import duty (import duty part of the 2150 fee we pay). Your 3.75 beats the hell out of the 9% I am looking at for regis.

I allready recieved a contact name and # for BMW NA, but was advised they will have no info until just prior to delivery in the states. I did however, contact BMW NA just prior to signing to confirm that SM and PCS R legit. They are and was told they deal w/them all the time.

Let me know if you have some other info about process
  • tpondtpond Member Posts: 3
    Avatt-
    I'm also using Superior Motors Military Sales -- who did you speak to to verify they were a legitimate dealer?
    Thanks.
    AWAX:

Recieved this contact from David Baker @ PCS:
    Bettina.BK.Konitz@partner.bmw.de

Also contacted BMW, Germany via email and they also confirmed all. I am working w/Angela & Derek @ SM, both have been great. Derek even took the time to call me back in the states and go thru some details. Good luck!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Thanks for the video merc1
  • seabushseabush Member Posts: 68
    What's a good price to pay for a 1998 XJR with 55K miles on it? The dealer is has a list price of $21,900. I was thinking to offer around $17,400. Thoughts?
  • xjr2bxjr2b Member Posts: 2
    I have a few newbie questions on the XJR, as I am considering buying a 1999 that I found locally.

1. Any major areas of concern at around 80K miles? I'm going to have a pre-purchase check, and I'd like to ask them to focus on possible trouble areas. The car had a $1200 brake job in the last year.

2. The owner has some aftermarket wheels on it, and I would want to return to stock. The dealer says they are $500 / wheel, so I've got a local wheel shop looking for some. Are the stock wheels staggered - meaning wider in the back? Is the recommended tire size for stock 255 / 40 / 18? Any recommendations for places to look for a set in good condition?

3. How is the handling? I am going to drive it tomorrow night, but this is the one concern I have with Jags. I recently had a 2001 Audi S4, and the handling was amazing. I'm certain the jag will be different, and likely less responsive, but how does it compare to other sport sedans?

Thanks for indulging my questions.
    -Grady
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Can't help with your first question. No personal experience.

On your second question, you might try calling the Tire Rack. They would likely know exactly what the OEM wheel and tire sizes were for your car, and may even have some suggestions.

On your last question regarding handling - the XJR would be the least "super" of the super sedans in this forum. An architect that does work for me has one that he fondly refers to as his "BB" (i.e. British Buick). He got it for his wife at a bargain basement price, but he claims his own 2004 E500 Sport is a much better handling car, at least on the winding roads he drives on his daily commute.

I have not driven an XJ or XJR personally, but ridden in one on several occassions and it does seem to be oriented more towards luxury first, power second and handling a distant third. Include some nice winding roads in your test drive.
  • xjr2bxjr2b Member Posts: 2
    I've already got my test drive route mapped. ;)
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    the newer aluminum XJRs handle quite well, they are tighter and lighter than previous ones. the air suspension keeps them pretty much flat around corners. I think mine breaks five seconds to 60, and the Brembo brakes are fine, alittle touchy maybe, but very, very good. The whole, light, big car with 400 horsepower is quite a thing unto itself.
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I have an '04 "new version" aluminum XJR. The concept of the light body and the supercharged engine really delivers in all around performance with decent fuel economy. The car is a joy to drive---when it is not plagued with a problem.

However, my XJR is an absolute nightmare. It has been in the shop for an average of one visit per month since I leased it 26 months ago. Everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong! I have had problems with electronics, such as locks, adaptive cruise, air bag warning lights, and error messages. The interior trim has peeled off of the console and dash surround on three occasions. But, it gets worse: The steering, rear end and suspension have been creaking and noisy from the start. They have replaced the rack and pinion, the differential, and today the car is in the shop awaiting a drive shaft and subframe.

The car has never been hit, and is well maintained. but it is a disaster. I hate this thing. Mine may be the lone ultimate lemon, but it is hard for me to recommend one of these vehicles to anybody based on my experience. After 27 months of ownership, I can say that this is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.

I have been reasonable with Jaguar. I am trying to get them to replace the car or take me out of my lease..I told them I would even start over with a new lease, if they would support the buy out residual at 27 months, but they will not. Meanwhile the dealer is offering me $5000 behind blue book to take me out of this one. That shows how bad these XJR's depreciate! No confidence shown by the selling dealer or Jaguar!

I told them I just want to get out of this one...And, I told them I would give them a second chance by starting over with an '06 XJR, but they are not interested in taking any responsibility. I was a fool for not going after them earlier under the California Lemon Law, but now I am too far into the lease to get easy relief.

As for those of you that think these are good cars and have not experienced any problems...I would keep my fingers crossed.

They drive nicely, but they are nightmares in the long run.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    If you keep good records, why not pursue the lemon law :lemon: claim? BTW, I think that I remember when you purchased it. You used to post regularly. I have always wanted a Jag, but your comments have me re-thinking the idea. I have a Land Rover now, but, knock wood, haven't had any problems in my first 5,000 miles. :)
    Jaguar has offered a concession and some money to me if I take another Jaguar. I am getting a new '05 XJR at a bargain price and giving them back the '04 with its 52,000 miles of problems. It is sort of like kissing your sister to go back to them for another XJR after all that I have endured, but I am going forward with the assumption that I got the worst one, while hoping for better luck with an '05.

If the new car has any issues I will be vigilent and use the lemon law. If it just drives nicely and acts like a good XJR should, I will be a happy camper.

By the way, my '04 was built in early '03 so it was one of the early incarnations of the new XJ, so I am hoping that the '05 will be more evolved in build quality. We shall see. huh?

I should mention that I test drove a new BMW 750, an Audi A-8 and a Mercedes CLS 500 during the past week before agreeing to go back to another XJR. The fact is that IMO the XJR feels lighter, more responsive and fun than any of the others. The horsepower to weight ratio is hard to beat with the XJR, and the other cars with normal engines price out at about the same price as the Supercharged XJR. However, the Audi build quality and interior was hard to resist.
    I dumped the '04 lemon and picked up my new '05 XJR. The new car seems flawless and perfect...By comparison, the '04 had a few glitches that were notable right from the start. The early car was not put together as well.

My story epitomizes why it makes sense to avoid the first year of production on an all-new car. Stay tuned.
    Good luck with the new one! :) I love the looks of the new Super V8 Portfolio.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    I was just wondering if anyone has seen any review of the E60 M5 and it was tested using "only 400 HP", I'm assuming all reviews that I have seen are with the full 500 HP on tap. It would be interesting to compare the same E60 M5 using the default 400 HP and the full 500 HP.
  • mpierce222mpierce222 Member Posts: 1
    I have now had the M5 for 1 month. I sold my previous M5 with out know what I was getting into. All I can tell you that it is a HOOT to drive. 400 or 500 hp nothing can touch you, the 500 hp is good stuff for overtaking but you need to meter the foot pressure with care.
    I own:
    996 Carrera
    Dodge viper pick-up

Love them all but the M5 rules the garage
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Buddy of mine is a Porsche driving instructor and has had glowing reviews of the e60 M5 as the best-performing and best-balanced sedan he has driven. 3-Pedal in 2007 :D
  • gujuplaya00gujuplaya00 Member Posts: 1
    so this scam that you are talking about tell his name and everything...and told you how the car is a e55 amg and he is in ireland for his son and he is only selling the car for 10 grand? Did he also tell you the shipping company is blue stars shipping? if so please let me know ASAP
    thank priyesh
  • smcphersonsmcpherson Member Posts: 1
    I just received a long email from the same guy it sounds... He is advertising a 2004 E500 (Benz) for $10,000 and says that he is in Ireland. I'm trying to contact Blue Stars to see if they even have the vehicle... but I can't seem to locate them... I still have the email from him. The name he uses is Paul Anastasiou... at least this time...
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    You ought to look up internet scams. ;)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Agreed.

And I think the guy with the $10,000 E500 also has $12 million locked up in a bank in Nigeria and just needs you to help him get it expatriated.
  • dkbeckdkbeck Member Posts: 1
    I saw your email questioning the legitimacy of an E500 offered for $10000 by a guy from Ireland. I exchanged email with a guy from Ireland about a 2001 Audi S4 for $12,000 that was also to be delivered through Blue Stars Shipping. I found the website for Blue Stars Shipping and exchanged email with them. They say they have the car in a container in a warehouse. I am suspicious. Did you pursue the deal for the E500?

Car ad: http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd-W0QQAdIdZ2836906
    Blue Stars: http://bluestars-shipping.com/index.htm

The website looks phony to me. And this guy's email says his "sister is in hospital and she is very seek"

Thanks
    There's an escrow link on the home page of the shipping site that is interesting. Among other things, it says the company is based in California. On another page, they give a New York and a Canadian address. You could check with the BBBs in California and New York.

You are right to be extremely suspicious and cautious.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    The Blue Star web site is really a hoot. The site has many mispelled words ("seafright", "airfright"), grammatical tip offs ("...based in USA, California.."), none of the trailer trucks shown are American spec Class 8 rigs (gee, aren't they a California based firm?), none have Blue Star's name on them, and in addition to the previously noted California, NY, and Canadian addresses, they seem headquartered in Spain.

Don't even bother with the BBB. This is just two grad students in Penang having some fun with the rich Americans.
  • bpm69bpm69 Member Posts: 10
    I have the last M5. So I test drove the new one(the sales manager gave me a hard time about it). I expected to love it and be done. But I didn't like the SMG. It was really lurchy on upshifts unless I let off the throttle. Also I found myself looking to see what gear I was in without a hand on the stick I would have in a manual. And the Idrive was better than the one in the 750 but still annoying. So I went and tried the 997 C4S and the cayman(only 2 seater so not the same). I think I enjoyed the C4S more. I've always been a BMW fan but I don't even like the look of the new 5s. What am I missing?
  • www7www7 Member Posts: 1
    Difinitely a scam

here's another example...I was asking details about an BMW XI and this is the response...avoid
    ------------------
    Hello,
    I have to tell you in the first place that my car is like new, has 31,500 KM in perfect working condition, no scratches, no dents, never been abused, and it has clear title, manuals, the original documentation included, which will be delivered along with the car.
    The car is registered in Canada. The car is safe and sound back to Canada at the shipping company
    Right now I have some personal problems with my son`s health and I am in Ireland Dublin for a surgery on his heart. (I`m here because is the cheapest surgery I coud find)
    If you want to buy it, I can ship you the car and I will pay for shipping, insurance and all the fees deducted from this sale, you will have 5 days testing period.
    For more pictures with my car please visit this link
    http://www.myonlineimages.com/public.aspx?memberid=19158
    One more thing I'm a very serious and honest person that has some problems right now. I will appreciate if you were serious about this.
    Everyone goes thru bad times in life, and I am no exception.
    I need to do some extreme things in my life too in order to stay afloat.
    Of course please tell me if you want to buy this car and if you have the money.
    In order to start this deal, I will need:
    1. Your full name and home address
    2. Shipping address (street address, city, state, zip)
    3. e-mail address
    4. phone number
    The car will be shiped by Blue Stars Shipping company.
    If the car isn't like advertised, you can say that you don't buy it, and the car will be shipped back to me at my own expense and you will be completely refund. The agent from the shipping company will assist you in the registration process.
    Please reply with the requested info and if you are really interested please let` move fast because time is a precious thing for me right now,
    Thanks
    Robert Tyler
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    "And then there's the noise: a throaty roar through the midrange that switches over aggressively into a top-end shriek that gives the S6 an aural signature unlike any other German car.
    Even though the BMW M5 also has a V10 (and even though it produces 507 horsepower), it doesn't sound quite this exciting."

That's astonishing- especially considering the S6 is more in-between the super sedan and sports sedan classes.

It also shows what a smart move it was for Audi to buy Lamborghini, which is now quite profitable.

That quote is from a Canadian website: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_T- ype1&c=Article&cid=1144360211321&call_pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196

Can't wait for the RS6!
  • gqby22gqby22 Member Posts: 1
    I talked to a similar guy about a toyota Supra... figured out it was a scam. here's what he wrote me:

EMAIL 1
    First of all I want to tell you that the car is still available and the price of $6,200 includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. The car looks like new, it has never been scratched or wrecked. It will come with a clear title, bill of sale signed by me as well and all the papers (including the original manuals and keys) that you will need to register it under your name. I'm selling it because I've just moved to Dublin, Ireland and I can't drive it here because has left hand drive, and all the cars here have right hand drive so for me this car is useless. I hope that you will understand my situation. E-mail me back if you are interested. Keep me posted.
    Thank You !

EMAIL 2
    The car is located in Ireland, if you are interested we will use a shipping company ( www.cargoexpressinc.co.uk ) which also manages the payment. Here's how it works: I will take the car at the shipping company, they will e-mail you the transport information so you can see that the vehicle is shipped. After you receive this info, you will have to make a deposit to one of their agents so I can be sure that you are serious about buying and I am not shipping the car for nothing. The agent will keep the money in a trust fund until you receive the car and are sattisfied with it. You will have 7 days to inspect and test drive it upon arrival with no obligation to buy. If the car is not exactly as described, you can send it back at my expense, and get a full refund of your deposit. Please provide me your full name and shipping address in order to have the deal started. Thank you

EMAIL 3
    Sure, here's the VIN jt2ja82j5r0018019.The current mileage is 64600.My car i a 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo. You have to make an up front payment of $2000, the remaining balance ( $4500 ) will be paid after you will receive, inspect and test-drive it. I will need your full name and shipping address in order to have the deal started. Thank you
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk with current and former Jaguar owners. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 26, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your ownership experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • grammegramme Member Posts: 1
    Thank goodness you posted this information, as we are dealing with the same guy trying to sell a 1998 Toyota Supra for $7,200. The three email messages are almost identical and what's worse, the VIN checks out with CarFax, so he is using a real VIN. What made me suspicious was the shipping company web site at www.cargoexpressinc.co.uk. It didn't check out with Network Solutions whois query as it is registered to a James Robert Bonar of Gardner, KS. Not exactly a UK corporate registrant.

Thank you so much for your post. :sick:
  • arvin1arvin1 Member Posts: 9
    I would Buy the m5!!wish i had one.... :)
    Pat or Karen, can this thread be renamed? I think it is time for it to say High-Performance Luxury Sedans since this class now includes the Audi S6, Mercedes E63 AMG, Quattroporte etc. etc.

M
    Sure, glad to! Look at the categories above - I can add three more, do you want others there? (There isn't a specific E63 AMG category, only the E55.)
    A casting director seeks drivers who think of their cars as extensions of their personalities and are able to participate in a rally from Vancouver to LA for two weeks in October. Please visit http://www.carspace.com/bullrun for more information.
  • vishnu3vishnu3 Member Posts: 1
    I have looked at the E class and A6 ... and would like to own my first Audi. The only thing that holds me back is to me the extremely ugly trapeze around the logo.

Does anyone know how for how long this will last? If the so called more aggressive logo will go away with these models, then I may go for a used 4.2 (circle version) and then buy a new one in a few years from now if it looks different. But if not ... can they change at least the wheel airbag with an older one, would that one fit?

Also, I would like some of your opinions too. (I now the new trapezoidal logo sort of 'grew on' many of the late model owners). I believe that changing a logo every few years weakens the impact and value of that logo - bimmer and MB are not doing this...
  • dachristdachrist Member Posts: 1
    Anyone with recommendations for snow tires for an MB E55.
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Dunlop M3?
  • jzalkinjzalkin Member Posts: 56
    Audi's logo has not changed - The rings are intact. A design element of the car has been made to be a signature element. It really is not that big a leap. I had an A4 Cab and the new face just connected the upper and lower grills which made it much more noticeable.

Eventually this signature design element will be refined and altered based on modernizing their design, but the rings will not change. Sort of like the Mercedes grill has altered over the years from a huge chrome piece to a more subtle opening on newer models.

I doubt it will go away, but I really think it will be used to give different models a slightly different feel based upon noticeable differences. Right know the grill looks basically the same on all their models (A3, A4, A6, A8).
    I am going to look at both this weekend. Has anyone driven these Audis? I am leaning towards the S8. :D
    Check out the High-End Luxury Marques board, there is S8 owner there: BLKHEMI.

M