Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

Comments

• soxylusoxylu Member Posts: 6
    Unlike you I know of bit about cars.
    Perhaps I can help in your decision process:

In my opinion, I would not mortgage the future to get the car now. I have a good job which supports my family and myself (no kids, wife in school). I can afford the S4 with a little to spare and still have money for savings and trips. Remember it is only a car. Get it only if it will NOT be a financial burder on yourself or your family. A car is nothing to be selfish about. It is a very expensive item.

If I could not afford it, I would have gotten the Grand Prix (which I had before the Audi). It has great power, a practical part (4 doors with a good truck), and it is only 3 years into this body style. In the 20-25K price range it has no peer.

One year earlier with my good fortune, I would be driving a M3.

In my opinion, the S4 is the best car, by far, in the 35-40K range of small sport sedans. It gives outstanding performance (maybe not as good as the M3, perhaps a bit better), practicality (4-door which the new M3 will not have for at least 3 years, large truck with fold down rear seats), luxury (far more options and features then the M3, with an easier ride then the M3), and adaptability (with a $600 chip you can get up to 310hp).

I use the M3 since it was the benchmark for the sport sedans in this price range. The new M3 will be over 50k, with a minimal increase in performance from the old M3, out of my price range.

Good luck with whatever car you decide to get!
  • inloveinlove Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to both "einster" and "soxylu for the input. I guess it all boils down to a fundamental lifestyle question.

I've always admired people who sacrafice personal comfort/material wants for family finanial strength.

It's not that the car isn't affordable (virtually everything is affordable in today's world), it's that the S4 would deliver purely personal benefits.

I guess I've heard too many stories about our ancestors treks to school (up hill both ways)and am oriented to financial management for family hapiness versus individual pleasure.

Oh well. I'll keep an envious eye on this board and hope a Santorim Blue (with onyx leather and all the fixings minus nav.)falls into my lap.

Thanks and have fun!
    Inlove,
    If you are still interested in the S4, check out:

www.audiworld.com

It has a message board for all the Audi autos and you can ask as many question as you need. Also, dealers frequently post cars they have available on the site. You will likely have to pay close to MSRP (I got mine for 1500 off MSRP, but got very lucky).
  • bobsc400bobsc400 Member Posts: 9
    Just dropped by the dealer on Sat. Test drove the S4 for the second time. Now I've gotta have it. Dealer says wait time is 6 months.

Willing to travel if it's not more than a few states away.

Looking for:
    Silver
    Alcantara
    Every option but NAV.

Anyone aware of one that exists? I live in Chicago.

Thanks.
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    Go to www.audiworld.com, and then to the S4 forum. They should be able to help you either locate it, or steer you in the right direction.

Good luck. I have an A4 and love it!
  • russkelloggrusskellogg Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone implemented the navigation system in the s4? I am wondering if it is worth the extra money. I know what it looks like...please provide all types of information....does it talk to you...what can you do with it..etc.
    Thanks
  • ehernandehernand Member Posts: 8
    The new M3 is going to bump power from 240 to 340. If that's minimal, you need to drive a space shuttle to work.
    What I was referring to is the fact that the 0-60 will go from 5.5 to 5.0. The problem is the lower torque then expected. That is about 270 or so. Yes, it is going to be an outstanding auto but my S4 is a better value for the money.
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    Remember, the same car that now has 343 used to have 320 in Europe. BMW reduced the performance in the US to save money. They saved money by having simpler valving (and induction I think).

Thus an M3 cost something like a $8K premium over a 328i in the US, while it was far more in Europe.

I would guess BMW either has to cut down the engine again on the new M3 or raise the price somewhat when it comes to the US. If I were BMW, I would cut the power. The M3 was an enormous seller in the US, I think largely because people could afford it. If they raise the price, it will be more prestiguous, but they'd actually make less money due to far lower sales.

Also, as mentioned, the torque figures are low on the new M3. Thus you can assume it is an RPM engine (my calculations put the redline at 7K or higher). BMW's mention of a "dynamic redline" that raises as the engine oil warms up also points to this.

If this is the case, then the M3 will be fast like the Honda S2000 is fast. That is, it will be fast when hammered all the way, and must less so under normal driving. Great for racing, less spectacular for the street.

Given that the S4 starts blowing out 258ft-lbs of torque at 1850RPM (and has AWD), it may actually feel faster even if it isn't.
    For the driving I do, I don't rev the engine all the way. I usually shift at 3500-4000 rpm. Having driven a S2000, I can safely say having an engine going at 7500 rpm takes some getting used to. Not something I would do on a daily commute in the city.

The new BMW is going to be an outstanding auto, with most estimates showing a base price of 45k with options up to about 52k.

It should have 343 hp (slightly less for America), with 269 ft-lbs torque at 4900 rpm (kind of high to get peak torque) with a redline of 8000. It should weigh in at ~3200 lbs.

But back to my intial statement, the new M3 will shave only about .5 sec off the 0-60, due to the minimal increase in torque of 236 to 269.

That is why a Mercedes E55 with 51 less HP and an automatic transmission can keep up with a 400 hp M5 with a manual. The E55 has 391 torque while the M5 has 369. True the Mercedes is lighter (~250 lbs) but it has an automatic vs a manual for the M5.

A S4 with a decent chip will give ~310hp and ~360 ft-lbs of torque at 1850 rpm. It will be interesting to see which car is faster then. Some people have chipped their S4 already and are quoting 0-60 times of 5.0-5.2. For only 40k + $595 for the chip.
  • drewrdrewr Member Posts: 7
    You are in-love....With yourself!
  • genes555genes555 Member Posts: 10
    has anyone gotten any S4's at a discount?
    I would appreciate any info on prices and options.
    Discounts on S4's are extremely difficult to come by.

Every dealer in Chicago was MSRP or above. On top of that I couldn't find the exact color and interior I wanted. Same thing in MI and IN.

So last week I started looking in states much further away (When spending this much $ I refuse to buy anything but exactly what I want! I went to the Audi website and started blind calling dealers all over the nation. Found exactly the car I wanted...Silver with Onyx/Silver Alcantara and all the goodies except NAV and phone...$1,450 below MSRP. It does have 80 miles on it but they promise me it's perfect.

I'm buying the car site-unseen and having it shipped here. A leap of faith I know. Can't wait till it gets here on Saturday of next week.

Good luck on finding a discount. If you look for dealerships in smaller cities you just might luck out like I did.
  • roys2roys2 Member Posts: 5
    genes555,
    See posts #112 re an Alabama dealer who was offering 5% below MSRP and #144 who felt he had gotten a loaded S4 for about $2K below MSRP. I test drove an S4 at Leith in Cary,NC and would have placed a deposit on ordering one, but they wanted MSRP. When I said no sale, they asked if a discount of $500-600 would make a difference. I walked away. They can do better, but it may take the next M3 to soften them up. I saw in Roundel that there may be an AWD variant of the next M3 (but maybe only in Europe?). Good hunting.
    I found the S4 I wanted in Pennsylvania. I live in Chicago. It's being picked up by an auto deliverer on Thurs. My concern is that it has 80 miles already on it and that it may have been abused.

Is there anything I should have the deliverer look for when picking it up? I remember my first test drive in the S4. I drove it hard. If the same thing was done for a 80 miles in this one I'm worried. They tell me thats not the case but 80 miles?
  • eussmdeussmd Member Posts: 2
    I stopped by my local Audi dealer (Commonwealth Audi in Southern California) to check out a Nogaro Blue S4 they had. The car was already pre-sold but I wanted to see the color since I am considering the same. The interior had the silver leather. Not my first choice but other than that the car looked great. After some gazing at the exterior, (because it was pre-sold I was not able to get in) I asked the salesman this question. "If I order an S4 how long will it take to get it?" His response was this. "8 months!" I said, "Are you kidding?" He said, "No." So, is this guy pullin' my chain or what? Also, I would like to know if anyone has seen a Nogaro blue S4 with the blue Alcantara inserts.

BTW, the Nogaro blue S4 looked like it was doing 100mph standing still. What a terrific looking car. I hope my order can be placed soon however, 8 months is not acceptable especially when there is a BMW dealership that has a fully loaded 328i with my name on it less than 200 yards away from Audi's.
  • s4givens4given Member Posts: 11
    Don't fool yourself. A 328i isn't nearly the car the S4 is. I went through a similar search. I looked at heavily at BMW's '00 328i and '99 M3.

The 328 is nice looking but way underpowered compared to the S4 and BMW M3. The M3 has plenty of power and a much stiffer suspension than it's 328 sister, on par with the S4.

To me, the Audi was better than the M3. More power plus Quattro sealed the deal on my end. 0-60 in the S4 is incredible. You wouldn't think an AWD car would be this quick but it really is. The twin turbos accelerate the car faster than a stock Porsche 911. Unbelievable torque band! This car is truly amazing.

However, since you are from SoCal, status might be more important to you. I don't mean that as a slam. 2 people I know from CA, 1 from SoCal and 1 from NoCal, chose the M3 over the S4. One because of the same reason you claim above, availability, and the other simply because "it's an Audi - BMW's are better cars". Then again he only chose the BMW because Mercedes wouldn't finance him on what he really wanted!

For whatever reason here in the US the BMW's are held in higher regard from a status standpoint than Audi's. Certainly not true throughout most of Europe. It's probably due to that whole bogus "sudden acceleration syndrome" even though it was disproved by experts time and time again.

As far as availability they are rare everywhere, but even more rare in CA. If you don't mind travelling a bit and driving the car back (I highly suggest this - it's fun) you should have no problem finding one. Go to audiusa.com and do a search on dealers within 500 or 600 miles from you. I did just that and found exactly the S4 I was looking for.

Good luck on your quest. You can't go wrong with either the S4 or the 328i, but they are apples and oranges.
  • eussmdeussmd Member Posts: 2
    s4given - Thanks for your comparison response between the S4 and 328i. I don't have to be sold on the S4, I already am. Believe me I think this car is the finest sports sedan in this price range that I've ever seen. The combination of power, luxury, and refinement is hard to beat. The M3 is a fine car as well but from posts I've seen in the BMW newsgroups the 2001 will be very difficult to get your hands on and it's priced itself into a totally different category.
    I'm just really dissapointed in the time it will take to get an S4. My wife likes the 328i but I keep holding my ground.
    Thanks for your pointers on tracking one down.
    No problem. Good luck finding the car of your (or your wife's) dreams.

I now this is off topic, but you SHOULD have fun in the buying process. Test driving many cars, looking at all the options, comparing and contrasting benefits and price! Don't let any high-pressure salespeople kill the experience.

I suggest doing what I did when looking to test drive - call the manager and let him know you want to drive a xxxx and not have any sales pressure. 80% of the time they have no problem with that and it's a breeze. Avoid the dealerships that don't like the idea.
  • gba1gba1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone for all of the useful information. I've rationalized the sea of data and realized that it really did make sense. I took the plunge today and bought a S4 - Brilliant Black, Onyx Leather with Silver Alcantara, all options. Beautiful car.

Availability in MA seems to be marginally better than other places (except for the two blue colors). This one had just arrived the day before from port.

Despite the salesmen protests "we don't discount S4s" I did manage to get $1500 off MSRP. I searched all of the dealers in the area for color combinations and had 4 dealers all willing to discount more than a $1000. Helps to pay for the insurance.

But as spring arrives, the 'need for speed' will likely dry up the discounting. The factory is apparently flipping over to 2001 production for all new orders, which may have an additional price impact.

Go and get one if you can. See you over on audiworld.com with the other S4 owners.
    Congrats on the new S4. I've had mine a week and a half now. It only gets better.
  • donato26donato26 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard of the chip for the S4 raising horsepower to about 310. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a hold of this chip, if anyone knows of any web site that sells it. Please let me know.
  • bill42bill42 Member Posts: 29
    eussmd asked:
    >Also, I would like to know if anyone has seen
    >a Nogaro blue S4 with the blue Alcantara inserts.

As of about 10 days ago there was one in the showroom at International Autos in Milwaukee, WI. As of that time it was unsold.
    You need to go to the AudiWorld Website. Go to Forums, click on the S4 forum. There are a few options for chips:
    Garrett
    APR
    Wett
    TAP
    AutoThority

Garrett and APR seem to be considered the best on the AudiWorld S4 forum, but they all have had great reviews. There is a Links section also. You can follow the links to their websites.

www.audiworld.com
  • mahall75mahall75 Member Posts: 3
    The Giac chip is pretty impressive, and so is the Wett. The cool thing about the wett is that its can be replaced with the stock without solder. The only question I have is are any of these chips going to hurt the engine? For reliability, and longevity? Respond if you know.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    Pros:

Chips raise the turbo boost to obtain more power, and they all produce a lot more power than stock.

The real meaningful differences in power will be produced by more boost (GIAC used 1.1 bar versus 1.0 bar with most other aftermarket chips).

Different brands vary in smoothness, when extra boost kicks in, quality of development, reliability, and customer support.

Horsepower gains can be 50 bhp or more and torque can increase by 100 ft lbs or more.

Cons:

If there is an existing problem or "weak link" then the chip can make it worse or bring it to light sooner.

You may find yourself paying for that problem instead of your warranty.

Simply put, these chips can void warranty claims if that's what your dealer or Audi decide to do. You're at the mercy of their customer goodwill.

To avoid detection, some people swap chips back to stock before going to the dealer for service, but I'd rather not do this.

If Audi denies warranty, you can sue and "force" them to "prove" the chip "caused" the problem.

Of course, you will incur time and legal costs.

Audi shows the court all those impressive graphs from the chip maker and makes a simple argument:

"The car was powered beyond normal tolerances."

If your door handle fell off, you probably win. If your transmission failed, you probably lose.

If your a real masochist, here's a helpful link explaining your "rights" and all the things you can try to "protect" them:

http://sema.org/fedleg/warranty/warranty.html

Despite knowing all the above I purchased a chip.

Unfortunately, problems were posted in Audiworld regarding throttle boot failures, exhaust noise, and drivetrain rubbing.

These problems were not limited to just one brand of chip versus another.

I returned the chip without ever installing and was given a prompt refund.

Maybe I'll reconsider after the warranty expires and would probably go with MTM, distributed in the U.S. by Hoppen Motorsports.

Hoppen has extremely strong ties to Audi and MTM is run by a former Audi engine designer.

Some consider MTM to be back door factory stuff.
  • clerkpalmerclerkpalmer Member Posts: 1
    I've had my S4 for about 3 months and have noticed a few quirks w/performance.

First, has anyone felt a "dip" in power around 3000 RPM's when accelerating?

Second, at times it seems like the car's turbos do not want to kick in. Sometimes I'll get on it in second with little to no reaction from the engine. Other times it takes off. Anyone experiencing similar difficulties?

I'd appreciate any feedback to determine whether I should bring it in to the shop.
  • bigcoconutbigcoconut Member Posts: 13
    In response to post 189: I've had mine for about 5 months and the turbo lag, according to reports I've read is relatively normal. You might want to ask the folks at the dealer for a better piece of mind. I haven't experienced the "dip" you were refering to around 3000.
  • bigcoconutbigcoconut Member Posts: 13
    My American Spec has 250hp. The German models have 265hp. Where does the extra 15hp come from? Someone told me it's the higher octane in the German fuel. No, I didn't go for that!
  • markdenvermarkdenver Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an S4 with 6-speed on Tuesday.
    It was a demo with 1,500 miles.
    Wednesday I noticed a noise that I thought might be the left front CV joint. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad transmission and plans to replace it.
    I am obviously shocked.

Has anyone else had transmission problems or noise?
    German S4 has 15 more HP and a like 35 more ft-lbs of torque. There isn't any more octane in European fuel than US (they just measure it differently), so it is just tune.

The same engine is in the A6 2.7T. In Europe, it produces 235HP (30 less then S4), in the US it produces 250HP, the same as the US S4.

I guess AoA just wanted all 2.7Ts to produce the same power in the US. I don't know why.
    Sorry to hear about your transmission problems.

Here's an excellent writeup from an owner who had a bad transmission replaced.

Click on 01/02/00.

http://www.audizone.com/info/s4logmain.htm

Speaking of transmissions, my Audi dealer agreed to install the UUC short shifter, which shortens the throw by about 20% and improves overall feel.

I'll have this done at my first service a couple weeks from now.

The stock shifter works OK (never missed a gear) but definitely could be improved, especially the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3.

If transmission goes bad, Audi can try to blame the shifter. The Audi service manager reviewed the installation instructions and doesn't think it will cause problems. He won't touch a chip.

The UUC shifter costs $279 plus shipping, but if it works as claimed by many S4 owners, it should be worth it. My last car was an Integra GSR and it shifted head and shoulders better than the S4.
  • lrodkinlrodkin Member Posts: 1
    Without question, the s-4 is the finest sports sedan I have ever driven. I hve been lusting after one for 6 years! After driving and owning bmw's and saabs, there is really no comparison. I am finally in the process of trying to buy one. I have heard some comments about the gear shift, and a possible alternative, any info? Further, has anybody done any research on a possible spoiler for the s-4? Although a brilliant car, they could have done a little more with the body style. Also, it appears the sports interior, with the alcantra inserts are gorgeous; anybody have experience with it?
    Thanks,
    Larry
  • from_neon_2_s4from_neon_2_s4 Member Posts: 1
    I was extremely close to pulling the trigger on an S4 this weekend. The model I was eyeing had the suede inserts. I thought it looked really sharp! (black with black/silver seats) However, I have never heard of a car with suede seats. Does anyone know what it would be like to care for suede seats? Would I be asking for trouble? Will they stain easily? etc., etc.

Any feedback would be MOST appreciated!!
    You should go to www.audiworld.com, and go to the S4 forum. They should be able to answer all of your questions.

Good luck!
    Since it is leather, with the surface broken up.

Problem is, it does stain much more easily than leather, almost as easily as cloth. In a dark color, the uneven surface hides stains well, but in a light color, it isn't going to last long.

I personally would stay away from suede seats. But if you really like it, just be willing to pay a little more care to it than normal.
  • chuck4chuck4 Member Posts: 1
    The inserts on the sport interior are made of Alcantara which is actually a fabric. But you sure could have fooled me! I've had my silver/black for about 4 months and have had no problems. I prefer them to all leather because of comfort and they grip better in turns.
  • jesseliujesseliu Member Posts: 41
    Hello,

Could you S4 owners recommend a dealer that has been helpful in procuring a S4 quickly? I'm looking to purchase a Silver S4 for my brother.

Please send all information to my email address at Jliu@legato.com

Regards,

Jesse
    S4's haven't been in production for months, and 2001 production has yet to start yet. Most dealers are sold out.

Good luck, they must be out there somewhere.
  • gemsgems Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the reply... How do you find S4's reliability? How do you compare it with
    your old GSR? You are the right person to ask since you have experienced both. ( I mean the stock GSR before your adventures with JSRC stuff?? ) I am not able to find out a S4 with local Audi dealer. Since I can't afford a
    new one I am just hoping to find a good used S4...Used S4's may come to the market
    by the time next M3 comes out!!!
    No problems for the first 7900 miles, except for a slightly loose plastic vent cover on the dash.

The dealer will fix at my 8000 mile service this Friday. I've needed to add about a quart and a half of oil during break-in but none in the last 1000 miles. Will move to synthetic (which you have to supply yourself) and will run Valvoline Synpower 5W40 (the factory recommended weight), obtainable by special ordering from Valvoline's 800 #. You can also run the easier to find 5W30 without problems per the owner's manual.

By contrast, the GSR never burned a drop of oil, even while it had the supercharger. Other than the timing problems related to S/C, the GSR ran perfectly for over 20000 miles.

The S4 is obviously much stronger than the GSR, especially at low rpm's, and there is no torque steer due to the AWD.

On the othe hand, the supercharged GSR would give the stock S4 a serious run for its money and may even be a tad quicker once you get rolling.

On dry, smooth surfaces, the handling is similar, but the S4 is far and away the smoother handler on less than perfect roads, and both cars slow down with little drama.

As mentioned a few posts up, the GSR shifter is much better and lets you snick through the gears with no effort. The S4 shifter is quite clunky, but that UUC short shifter to be installed this Friday should be a big improvement.

Both cars had dedicated snow tires in the winter, but the edge clearly goes to the S4. With snows, it's invincible. The S4's lower ground clearance posed no problems at all in the snow.

The Bose stereo in the S4 sounds much better than the GSR stock unit but it's not nearly as easy to upgrade to aftermarket stuff. The Eclipse system in the GSR sounded much better (it should for the $3000 it cost!) and it would be nice to have this moved to the Audi if it weren't so much hassle.

It's unfair to compare these two cars since one costs so much more, but frankly, if the S/C had worked out on the GSR, that's what I'd still be driving today, even though the S4 beats the GSR hands down on comfort, noise levels, and luxury.

The one thing I miss the most about the GSR is the "VTEC hit" at higher rpms. The S4 makes its power early and runs out of steam at higher rpms.

I'm still toying with the idea of the MTM chip and exhaust, despite the potential problems or warranty headaches. The appeal of 320 bhp and 370 ft lbs of torque is pretty hard to resist! The MTM chip offers a "two stage" feel meaning greater boost as you get into the throttle.

Audi provides their code directly to MTM, which eliminates the guesswork that other chipmakers must do, meaning potentially better reliability. Still, you will take your chances with any chip.

Hopefully, I've answered some of your questions.
  • bklyn_boybklyn_boy Member Posts: 1
    Believe it or not...less than 1500 miles, flat in the sidewall.....local bridgestone dealer (houston) says there arent any RE040 in the country!! Is this true....?? says next best thing are 71's..

comments??

Thx.
    You may have the infamous 'bubble' problem.

Go to http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4.html

Search the S4 category using the word "bubble" and you'll see what I mean.

Many have replaced their RE040s with other brands so you could probably pick up low mileage ones
    fairly cheap (e.g. $90 per tire or less).

I've moved to Dunlop Sp9000s and am very pleased with them, but already sold my RE040s.

BTW, the UUC short shifter was installed Friday by my dealer (1.6 hours) and it did improve the precision noticably and makes the car even more fun to drive. It's still not quite as buttery smooth as an Integra GSR but it's pretty close.
  • kerosene2kerosene2 Member Posts: 2
    I have been doing a lot of research in regards to purchasing a new car. My search has finally been narrowed done to the S4 and the Bimmer 328ci. I am currently leaning toward the S4 because everything is so appealing. I am not crazy about the sedan look but everything else looks really good. I was wondering if anyone could chime in about the following concerns I have.
    a. There has been a lot of talk about something fishy going on between 2nd and 3rd gear. Is this a reoccuring problem with a lot of owners or is it isolated to a select few who happen to have models with bad transmissions?
    b. How hard is it to upgrade the Bose system? I have to have a good sounding system and I am worried about aftermarket adaptations.
    c. For those of you who have it, how much more useful do you find the short-shift box? Does the dealer install it and how much is it going for?
    d. I know it differs from state to state and company to company but how is everybody finding their insurance costs?
    e. Any thoughts about the navigation for those of you who opted?
    f. Anything else I should know about? Shakes, rattles or rolls? Mechanical or power failures?
  • dgundgun Member Posts: 1
    seanv(#24), bigoconut(#67), jwolff(#68)

Are any of you still looking in?
    I plan an S4 purchase in Germany(assuming France is not possible) early in '01.
    Would like the n&n of the German dealer who can deliver a US spec car. Also have a few questions on registration, insurance, etc.; been a long time since I have done this.(And Mercedes made it very easy.)
    Anyone else with information?

dgunn
    Your questions would best be answered on www.audiworld.com. Go to the forums, and then to the S4 forum. I am sure you will get alot of responses to your inquiries.

Great car. I have an A4, and I am sure with the extra HP, the S4 is amazing.
  • gemsgems Member Posts: 15
    Thanks Mgreen1

Sorry, I didn't look at this topic for so long.I was hanging around in the sports car conference. Thank you very much for the prompt reply....As you have mentioned, there is no point in comparing the 'sleeper' S4 and 'screaming' GSR !!!! Two entirely different types of cars...My dilemma is to go in which direction? Go for a used S4 , Look for a new Impreza 2.5 RS, Go for supercharging my 4-dr GSR?
    I can't afford a new S4 so the option is to get a used S4. That is why I was asking about reliability of the S4. I haven't driven a S4 yet... but I guess its going to be another kind of rush to hit the peak power at very low rpm's... It would have been a big change for you to change the shift patterns from upper 7K rms to 2/3K rpms!!!! Impreza 2.5 RS seems to be another good choice. A turbo version is due next year for under 30K. From whatever reviews I have read so far it looks like it is going to be a stunner. Now the third choice is to go for JSRC. If you get it done by a good tuner I think it should work fine. Reliability of GSR has been excellent so far and financially also it is the best option out there for me. - 3 K installed.

It is nice to know that you still think about your Vtec days!!!! I still remember your last post in the GSR topic before you moved on to S4. You wrote about going for another drive in the GSR with whatever gas left in the car before giving it back to the dealer.
    One of best parting shots I have ever seen !!! LAter...
  • troiljtroilj Member Posts: 1
    I have driven the car several times and have a 2001 Casablanca White on the way. I will say this for sure. It will be very nice to have power on demand quickly as opposed to the way the V-Tec engine delivers power. I have a 97 Prelude SH and it handles really well with the ATTS system, but I really hate having to wait until 5200 rpm for any fun to begin. Honestly, how often are you cruising around at 4500+ rpm so you can jet away? With the S4, it doesn't matter where you are and what gear you are in, BYE-BYE!!! Its quite addictive and will no doubt get me in trouble. :)

I like the honda engines, but the only thing honda builds that is on par with most any high powered german engine is the NSX. That is one wonderful automobile. Its the only Japanese stock car that would take me away from going back to a german car.
    I can answer two of them.

a. 2nd to 3rd. A few people have this problem. It is a faulty gearbox. If you have the problem, you can get it replaced for free. I think the problem is fixed now on the production line. But since they aren't producing S4's right now, that doesn't help much.
    b. Bose system has exact same head unit as other system. It has different amps and speakers. The amps are completely external (internal amp used for front of non-Bose system is retained but unused). So it should be easy to upgrade. Some have done it with success. You probably will want to upgrade it as the A4 system is lacking in bass (the A6 Bose system has a subwoofer, as does the A4 Avant Bose system, and they are much better).
  • hateheathateheat Member Posts: 3
    Yikes! I was inches away from heading back to my Audi Dealer to place an order for a slick new S4 when my wife alerted me to a comment she found at carpoint.com.

Apparently, the air conditioning on the Audi A4/A6 line under-performs. Can any owners out there confirm/dispute this?

It's winter where I am right now (Toronto) so I can't test it for myself - but summers here can get terribly hot and humid.

You can't imagine how pissed I'd be, if in the middle of July/August, my wife forces me to drive our Camry because the S4's air conditioning isn't up to snuff.

See Carpoint's comments in the Comfort section at:

(A4/S4 Models)
    www.carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Heraud/Audi/A4/2000R.asp

(A6 Models)
    www.carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Heraud/Audi/A6/2000R.asp

Thanks for any info you can provide.
This discussion has been closed.