Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

Comments

• ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    if you want real audi porker, the A6 4.2 weighs more than the A8 4.2. if guess that demonstrates the validity of aluminum frames
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    I think the Torsen system is what weighs Audi Quattros down. Just look at a regular A4 1.8t Quattro! That thing's like 3500lbs! It's alot for a 150hp car. Nothing that a chip can't help tho. But still in stock form...

BTW, doesn't all Quattros come with front and rear differentials?
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    Regular A4 1.8Tq is not 170HP in US. Because the Volvo V40 it competes against has 160HP. Nit picked.

All "true" Quattro IVs (A4,A6,A8,Passat) have front, rear, and center diffs. That 3 times as many diffs as a normal car. Also twice the half shafts, at least twice the driveshafts, plus double the CV joints. There's your weight right there.

Other Quattros (TT,S3,Bora 4Motion,Golf 4Motion) have front and rear diffs and a Haldex clutch. This is significantly lighter than "true" Quattro IVs, this improves handling, acceleration, and braking at the expense of flexibility in power distribution. A very smart trade-off for small cars.

*Note: the term "true" here isn't supposed to indicate some kind of bias. It's just that Audi has used Quattro and even Quattro IV to signify two entirely different AWD systems and you need to differentiate between them somehow.
    Regular A4 18.Tq is now 170HP in US, I accidentally typed not instead of now.
    Hmm....if the 1.8T is gonna be 170hp then it sure would put a dent to the 190hp 2.8l A4s then!
    Audi sells the 2.8 on prestige though in the US instead of performance. The 1.8T is still not available with leather. This forces many people into the 2.8.

The tuner's choice is obviously the 1.8T, and with the low-end torque of the turbo, the performance numbers should be very similar even stock.
  • cross6cross6 Member Posts: 9
    Has the manual shifter for the S-4 been modified? I have read some negative comments on the 2000 S4's 6 speed that they were a "little clunky"...has Audi done anything? And how's the burn on Nogaro Blue? How does the color look in 6 months do you still like it?
    No change in clunkiness. I never considered it clunky anyway. There were changes because of 1-2 and 2-3 synchro problems, but the don't change the feel when it is operating correctly.
  • neilm5neilm5 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard if Audi is REALLY going to build an S4 with a 3 liter or 3.2 liter engine? If so, any specifics on arrival date in the US?
  • depalmpa1depalmpa1 Member Posts: 3
    What Sort of changes did they make to the shifter, bollinger? Have you heard of any other instances of transmission issues besides the one on audizone.com? Also, anyone heard of Throttle body hose tears in unchipped S4's?
    The changes were I think only inside the tranny to fix the problems with bad synchronization in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. No feel changes unless you cound fewer bad shifts as a feel change.

A few people without chips have reported TBB chips. I would say though that well over 90% of the TBB rips are chip-related.
  • oneballoneball Member Posts: 3
    Heh everyone,

First time posting to Edmunds...

Just bought a 2000 S4 and am picking it up tonight. Can't wait!

It seems with the 2001's out now, if there are still 2000's they should be really aggressively priced.

I paid $55000Cdn, roughly $37000US for it.
    It's black with the silver leather on black interior, 6-spd manual (wish I could've gotten one with Tip though), cold weather package (standard in Canada), premium package, bose snd system and 6-disc changer.

Went through a broker, AutoSource, I have to say that if you're in the Vancouver, BC area, they are the guys to speak to about sourcing out a vehicle.
    So I picked up my ride tonight. Is it ever incredible. :-)

Asked the salesperson why the Canadian models have no fogs and basically the Canadian gov't requires that the car's bumper be able to withstand a 5mph collision without serious damage. For some reason I guess the bumper with the foglight housing doesn't cut it on the US model... plus the intercooler ducts are right behind/below where the foglights should be. So if someone decided to back into you, your fogs would be smashed and your intakes blocked.
  • bigcoconutbigcoconut Member Posts: 13
    Bollinger, any word on a possible recall on some 2.7T's? A friend gave me this info yesterday and mentioned condensation in the fuel system if you continually run below half a tank.
    Sure he's not BSing you? Go find out with other S4 drivers... in your area
    Could be... but that's the best explanation I've gotten from anyone. :-)

I haven't seen a Canadian S4 with fogs and you can't get them as an option either although another explanation would be that the Cdn S4's come with the Cold Weather pack standard so they had to cut the costs elsewhere. But that doesn't explain why you can't order the fogs as an option.
  • jshahjshah Member Posts: 1
    I've been doing my homework and it seems to me that the S4 is the best car all around. They dealer by me has one in exactly the way I want it. Neg. Blue with Black blue seats. Its 2001 and about 42k. The invoice will all options is about 37.8 (with Dest.). What is the best price I can get on the car. 42k seems a bit steep. Isn't 3k a bit high for a profit marg.
    Also, My concern is snow and rain. Ii live in North NJ and was wondering if I really need to buy snow tires for the winter.
    Any comments would help. Thanks.

-Jay
    I didn't mention why there was a recall. It's nothing to do with condensation. Some fuel additives react with the sulfur in our fuel and the metals in the sensors in the fuel tank to coat the sensor and make the fuel gauge read erratically. I have had no problem with this, but I am not switching brands of gas (and thus additives) until I get mine fixed.

Audi is doing a poor job with the recall, the parts are late. Plus, my local dealer is terribly overloaded. I'm looking at months before mine gets fixed. That's a bunch of crap.

The problem is VDO's fault, and Porsche is feeling the pinch also. Big deal, its us owners who are inconvenienced and it doesn't matter whose fault it is.
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    I believe the S4 has high performance tires, which would warrant getting snow tires in the winter. You might want to go to www.audiworld.com and ask the S4 forum all the questions you have. They have all been through it.

Good luck!
    O.K., this may seem like a dumb question. What should the "optimum" tire pressure be for my S4? I recently purchased a set of Dunlop SP Sport 2000's and the dealer set the tire pressure at 35psi. I was thinking more between 40-45, as the max is 53psi. "Optimum" referred to the most consistent wear concerning tire pressure. I normally average 110-120mph and know that the tires are a bit warmer at higher speeds. I will have the ECU upgrade in place by next week and expect to run over 160mph. Now you can see my concern about tire pressure.
    The tires I purchased are not the 2000's but the
    Dunlop SP Sport 9000's.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    also have SP9000.

suggest cold temp of 40 front, 38 rear.
  • mikeyf16mikeyf16 Member Posts: 5
    2 questions:

1) Any suggestions on a bike rack for an S4/A4? I've only seen one recommendation on another board for Nashbars Mondial rack...

2) Dealers in CO and NM are adding so called permanent vinyl clear bras on their cars on the lots. It's a hand cut, form fitting plastic cover that's permanently installed to protect the front end from chipping during the winter months here, where they sand the roads vs salt.

Anyone have one of these? Any words on the pros/cons?
    Clair Parts (Audi dealer in Boston) offers one, but I don't know anything about it.

You might check the S4 forum at www.audiworld.com

http://www.clairparts.com/shop/accessories.cfm?do=drilldown_categories&&model_year=2001
  • mfuller1mfuller1 Member Posts: 17
    You may also want to check out Yakima at www.yakima.com. They make some of the best fitting roof racks around, I think. Thule is also another good maker.
  • imola2000imola2000 Member Posts: 2
    I drove the m-3 2000, and I drove the s-4. Overall in New England the s-4 is the better car to own. Let's drive down the highway in the slush and see who chickens out first.
    I think most ppl who owns M3s also have a beater car during winter time. duh...
  • edwfedwf Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an S4 and the dealer told me that I should let the car cool down for at least 2 minutes before I turn it off. Any truth to that?
    Don't worry about cool down unless you've been running the car really hard or if you've been running for extended periods at higher speeds.

To be on the safe side, you might want to idle for at least 30 or 45 seconds, which is what I normally do.

When possible, try to take it easy for the last couple miles, i.e., without getting into the turbos, and be sure to change to synthetic oil after about 8000 miles.

More importantly, be sure to take it easy until oil temp warms up, which can take a few minutes.
  • alanathomealanathome Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone on this list. I just bought a 2001 S4. I take delivery tomorrow night. I can't wait! Are the 2001s difficult to find? I just luckily spotted this one in a dealer lot. It was a cancelled order car. (no show...)
  • ilxmanilxman Member Posts: 25
    Thanks in part to all the informative posts here, I've put in my order for a Nogaro/Blue Alcantara and I get to hurry up and wait until late December. Since I live in an apartment in Chicago, I've cut a deal with my dealer to sell the stock tires and buy a set of high-performance, all-weather tires (since I can't practically store the stock tires and replace them with snow tires during the winter).

My question is this: What are the best high-performance all-weather tires available?
  • MorganConradMorganConrad Member Posts: 21
    Check the archives in the "Wheel and Tire" forum at www.audiworld.com. The Dunlop 5000s have been getting good reviews.
  • sccafansccafan Member Posts: 1
    Hey ilxman

What dealer did you buy car from? I purchased a 2000 S4 9/9/00 from Laurel Audi of Tinley Park, Illinois.

My purchase:

Exterior - Light Silver Metallic
    Interior - Onyx/Silver
    Tiptronic (47m one way commute in heavy traffic)
    Cold Weather Package (natch for life in snow belt)
    Bose Premium Sound System
    Convenience Package

I too am concerned about the tires during our nasty winters. I have the space to store the tires but would like to try your route before going out and getting winter tires.

I was treated royally at Laurel and can't give them enough praise in how well they made the car buying experience an enjoyable treat. I believe I got a good deal (at least I was happy).

I test drove and compared the BMW 328i and 330Ci, the Acura 3.2 CL Type-S (only because I had a 97 CL 3.0 with 73K and experienced no problems), and the Lexus IS300.

I believe I made the right choice.

Anyone - is joining the Quattro Club a good or bad idea?

Thanks.
    I've already ordered my Nogaro S4 (from Loeber Motors, sccafan) but I didn't order the Navigation system because it doesn't seem all that useful without the tv screen (like BMW or Acuras). Also, while Acura uses a DVD-based system (7x more info than CD), Audi still uses a CD (i.e., less useful detail??) Do any of you out there have it? How useful is it in real life? Should I call my dealer and add it to my order? Thanx for the input.

Anybody else out there with comments on high-performance all-weather tires????
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Loeber Motors???? Are they the same brothers that own Loeber Motors in the Chicago area?

M
    It works great. It doesn't have DVD, it doesn't have a moving map. But it works very well. Very easy to use, and its instructions about how to get around are very clear.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    anyone know what the 0-60 time is for the S-4?
    it's 5.5 I think. Not bad....not bad at all. But seriously how often do you do that? Even if you can.... not everyone can pull a 5.5 with them. I bet that lawyer dude who owns a Nagano blue can't do it!
  • porkibearporkibear Member Posts: 1
    Hey out there. Anyone buy an S4 for less than MSRP??? I'm finding that people are paying at least MSRP or more...anywhere from $3-5000 markup above MSRP. Anyone know an Audi dealer in Southern California selling S4's below MSRP?
    Audi specifies 95 ROZ/RON Octane. They specify 91 AKI. Look inside your gas cap.

In Europe they specify their gas by RON/ROZ only. In the use we use (RON+MON)/2 or AKI.

Here's a match chart:
    US 87 AKI == 89 RON/ROZ
    US 89 AKI == 92 RON/ROZ
    US 91 AKI == 95 RON/ROZ
    US 93 AKI == 98 RON/ROZ

Shoot, that's not exactly right, I can't remember the exact matches.

Just remember that our standard is the same as their standard grade, our 91 grade is the same as their premium (95), and our 93 is the same as or better than their 98 super premium.
  • ubatubaubatuba Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2001 S4 loaded in Carslbad, San Diego. The Dealear (Hoehn)was asking MSRP but at the end they gave me a $400.00 break, I guess was a good deal because this car was the only one in 200 miles radius.
  • bnolan7534bnolan7534 Member Posts: 3
    I have a question that I am able to ask most people. Audi S4 owners are apparently no different. How does the back of my Mercedes C43 look?

I know you can tell me anything else. I am talking about real world experience. Don't go and quote me anything stupid from any magazine. Oh yeah, what does the number 52 mean to you guys. Let me spell it out.

302 hp
    -250 hp
    -------
    An [non-permissible content removed] kicking

BDOG

BDOG
  • jeneric21jeneric21 Member Posts: 4
    You spent how much for your C43? Wow, compare that to the S4, you spent over $10K more. Sorry to hear that.

BTW, a simple $600 chip for the S4 and it's at 306 hp with 366 ft/lbs of torque at 1850 rpm. How much torque do you have?

I can still see you in my rear-view mirror . . . so . . . a cat-back exhaust system ($800) and presto, 320 hp with 375 ft/lbs. These gains with two simple bolt-ons.

Go take a seat and enjoy your "sports" car with that lovely automatic tranny.

You better think twice the next time you're next to an S4. It could be me.
    Would it be an AMG'd C-class? Sorry I just don't know.

Comparing HP is dumb. It can lead to stupid conclusions, like that a 250HP Chrysler 300M should be about the same speed as a 250HP S4. Except the S4 is 2 seconds faster. Not fair you say? The 300M is a bigger car? Oh, well the 250HP A6 2.7T is the same size, and also 2 seconds faster.

Really though, I think you may need to work on your self confidence. A wonderful car like a fast Mercedes is a total waste in the hand of a person so insecure they have to post smack to the net.

Next time, buy a car to satisfy yourself, instead of to lord over others.
    My 2001 Nogaro Blue/Blue Alcantara is on order, due in December. It turns out that after getting complaints about the stock low-profile tires, Audi is giving a choice of Michelin or Pirelli all-weather high-performance tires. It turns out that all those pot-holed American streets have been causing premature bulging of the stock tires. I'll post more info when I find out the exact tire models.

BTW, any more navigation system owners out there to tell me whether it's a worthwhile option?????
  • bnolan7534bnolan7534 Member Posts: 3
    Anything you can do to your Turbocharged Audi, I can do to my Naturally Aspirated Benz, including the addition of a turbo. Nothing beats dispacement. Referring to money is real weak. Do not worry about what your wife says about how much you spent on your car. You can not put a price tag on fine art. Go ahead, try and argue with me.

What is a mercedes benz model list. Are we talking about the model line-up for 1999, 2000, or 2001. All good things do not last forever. If you go to MBUSA.com, and look around you'll find it.

I am getting so sick and tired of Audi S4 drivers pulling up next to me, it happens quite often, and explaining to me how he missed a shift, or he really wasn't trying.

Has anyone heard of the K43. Let me know. By the way, what does a Chrysler have to do with our class of cars. If you really think about it, an A6 2.7, is not really with us either. Make a better comparison next time, like the 240 hp M3. If you have any questions or comments let me know.

BDOG
  • pkuethpkueth Member Posts: 1
    To the S4 or the M3...it doesn't compare well at all.
    You know why that is? Its because a Benz is a status symbol. Yes, status symbol. Again repeat after me "My car is a status symbol made for people that don't give a hoot about real world performance" See that wasn't that hard now was it? Ohh and just for the record I love Benz, they make great luxury cars.

Your C43 is a nice luxury automobile. BUT IT IS NOT A SPORTS CAR. AMG has not made a true sports car in a long time. (The only true AMG sports sedan I have ever seen was a one off an E Chassis with a V 12 in it) The E55 is nice too, I guess.

But I can already prove that your car is not a sports car by adding this statement "YOU DRIVE AN AUTOMATIC"

And adding a Supercharger from Lorinser (the K43 package) will only cost you what? 10 grand maybe, probably even more Lorinser is expensive. And By the time you have your super charger from 20 extra grand from what I spend. I'll drive my slightly modified Stage 2+ S4 and its 359hp around and get to actually shift myself.

Your mate

Peter
  • jatjat Member Posts: 11
    With all this talk about the S4's stock tires performance on snow, how does it do on a wet road? Not much snow here in California, just wondering on how it does on rain soaked roads? thanks.
  • jeneric21jeneric21 Member Posts: 4
    I've enjoyed my Navigation system and I think it's worth it.

The display is in the center of the instrument cluster which makes it very easy to read. Along with the prompting of the voice, the display provides clear arrows toward your direction.

The controls are near the parking brake. There are buttons and a thumbwheel. After a few uses, it's easy to use.

Like all nav systems, it will re-route if you go off the "path."

I would get it again.
This discussion has been closed.