Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn S-Series

Comments

• chasmalachasmala Member Posts: 14
    Thank you for the kind advice. I would probably get the full blown SL2 less leather seats so looking at the LS makes a lot of sense. I like the look of the SL better than the LS but I am sure that is not what to base my decision. I guess I'm a purist and think the SL is the REAL Saturn. But I do appreciate your input. Thanks again.
  • 72malibu72malibu Member Posts: 2
    At the end of July I posted a message about buying a used 93 SL1. I got some good advice , so I am hoping to get more. Well, soon after I got my car, I had 4 new tires (55,000 treadlife) put on, actually Cooper Lifeliner Classics. Then I decided to have it aligned. Even after having it aligned and rotated the (new) tires, the car still floats to left mercifully. They say it is aligned according to there machine and I should not wear the tires, but I am worried about the float thing. Also, the steering is not tight, it is very loose. It seems to "oversteer" when you turn corners. Since I only know the cars this way, should the steering be tight and agile on these cars. Also, the previous owner had one motor mount replaced a year ago and new brakes with new rotors. My mechanic (a GM dealer) said he inspected everything closely (he is reliable). The closet Saturn dealer is 2 hours away. Can anyone give me a little help here? thanks
  • ken1776ken1776 Member Posts: 41
    My wife's car floats when the tire pressure is incorrect. Might check that for starters. Also, I'm not a big fan of Cooper tires, but they shouldn't make the car pull. As for the steering problem? No clue! This is actually one feature I like about our Saturn, good tight steering. I suggest you spend the time and see the dealer.
  • mikeknightmikeknight Member Posts: 1
    Hello Saturn fans,
    I'm stuck between purchasing two saturns.
    one is a '94 SL 2 with auto and ac and has 112k miles. This one is going for about $5,000

The other is a '95 SC 2 with 35,000 miles. This also has auto and ac but is around $8,300.

I would prefer not to spend the extra 3,300 but am concerned that my Saturn will die very quickly with those miles on it. Which one would you get? Thanks!
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Re fw alignment: I also suggest you get an "alternate opinion" on the correctness of the alignment from another place.

I had to have the alignment done during my first year ownership of 95 SL2. It was done at the dealership. The mechanic could not get the alignment while he was just using the threads on the alignment linkage. He had to enlarge the mounting hole on the strut to finally get it right.

And yes, the steering must not be loose, it could be dangerous if it's not made tight soon.
  • travelertraveler Member Posts: 67
    I agree with Norbert444 that you might want to try a different alignment shop. As far as the loose steering, it could be the rack and pinion unit, or any one of or all four of the tie rod ends. The inner two are mounted to the rack and are inside the flexible boot that is on each end of the rack to keep out dirt and water. If any one of them comes apart, you'll have little or no control of the steering. Get it into another shop real soon.
  • tsodentsoden Member Posts: 6
    I realize that I am probably in the wrong forum, but is there anyone out there that has a 2001 SC2? I will be in the market for a new car since my lease on my 98 Malibu is up shortly. My wife loves the look of the SC and I just wanted to hear some overall comments. WE are currently looking at other possibilities as well such as Toyota Echo, Daewoo Nubira, Hyundai Tiburon. (I know it sounds like I am crossing the boarder on different classes of vehicles but we are trying to figure out if we want sporty or not. We don't want the SL simply because a family member owns one and we want to be different!)
  • saturnboysaturnboy Member Posts: 89
    T Soden
    If your looking for sporty, IMO , The Saturn 3 door coupe blows away anything around 15k as far as style goes. However, the 3 door coupe rides lower to the ground then the SL 4 doors, providing for countless scrapes on the bottom front bumper. Also, insurance will be significantly more compared to a SL2 4 door with the same engine and equiptment.

The choice is up to you, if your marginal benifit (what your gaining) is greater then your marginal cost(what your giving up) then a 3 door coupe is the way to go. Good luck.

Mikeknight

I would try to get the price down a bit on the 94 SL2 to around 4500.00. For some reason, the SL2 4 door model's are rated more reliable then the SC's. A friend of mine has a 94 SL2 in tan with around 150k on the original engine, trans. Don't see anyreason why this SL2 wouldn't go the same distance. Good luck.
  • siamesesiamese Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 98 Saturn SL2 and I have a very interesting question. On the top of the dashboard there is a square indentation that has 2 holes covered up. What is this meant to be used for? I thought maybe a CD player or a fuzz buster but I am just curious. Any ideas anyone?
    I thought it was a sunglass holder or something, However I put a hushpuppy and a disney character their to liven things up a bit : ) Who knows, didn't see the holes before, we'll have to look into that.
    I have a '95 SL2 with the same covered holes (covers are two squares with less than an inch side).

The 2 little squares cover one screw each. These screws hold the whole top of the dashboard.
  • judithcjudithc Member Posts: 2
    My 1994 SL Saturn has been overheating and both sensors for the fan have been replaced several times. Yet the problem continues. It all started when the alternator went bad a year ago and a non-saturn garage had to put in a new alternator and I had to take it to Saturn to get the sensor. This week, in addition to overheating again (the indicator was 1/2 way in the red zone), I couldn't get it in any gear except reverse. After I cut off the engine and started it up again, the gears were fine. Saturn could not replicate the problem. The car has 89,000 miles (about 12,000 of those are miles incurred while towing) and we bought the car new. Saturn just put in another new fan sensor and were gracious not to charge me this time. Has anyone else experienced these kinds of problems?
  • afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    I would suggest you go over to Saturnfans.com

The people there know everything about Saturns and can probably help you
    Some other things to do: replace the thermostat, once you overheat the engine the thermostats usually don't work properly. Hopefully the garage checked for a partially plugged radiator by feeling it and finding cool spots which means the coolant isn't flowing through that part of the radiator thus engine runs hotter.
  • chasmalachasmala Member Posts: 14
    My mother has 1999 Saturn with 9,000 miles on it and for a few months the brakes have been squealing. I brought it back to the dealer and they tell me there is nothing wrong and then the squeal goes away for a few days and then it's back. When she turned the car around to leave my house the other day I heard what she was talking about. The brakes made a tremendous squeal again! I am bringing it back to to be looked at by the dealer but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was the cause. They say it's safe to drive but who wants a car with this kind of noise? It doesn't get any highway milage so they are telling me that's what is causing rust to build up on the brakes. Something doesn't sound right to me. Any thoughts?
    Squealing brakes.
    Yeah, squealing is normally caused by a piece of dirt attached onto - or around - the brake pads. If "rust" builds up on the pads, it is the same thing. "Rust" can be caused by not driving the car much.
    I have a 98 Saturn, and my brakes always squeal in the mornings and after rain. After I apply the brakes a few times it goes away. This is normal in general , and on Saturns.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I don't think squeals from brakes are normal per say. More cars seem to have this problem since the change over to non-asbestos pads, however, I wouldn't consider it normal. My 2000 Hyundai Accent has 6000 miles and the brakes have never squealed once, not even after 8" of rain in one day and than sitting over night to rust. All it does is make a gritty rubbing sound for the first couple times I apply the brakes until the rust has worn off. My VW Rabbit performance brake pads have only squealed when missing an anti-rattle clip and they have over 50K and 4 years on them. I think the squealing noise comes more from the caliper than the actual brake pads. If the caliper is just slightly loose or too flexible, it will allow the pads to move in their housing and thus cause the squealing. From my experiences, I would have to say that I would not consider squealing brakes to be normal and would have the dealer fix it right.
    My brakes did not squeal at 6k either, give it time and who knows what will happen. Rattles may pop up in a few years that you never thought possible. Thats one of the reasons I get a new car every 3 years to avoid annoying things + I like having a new car as often as possible. Thinking Corolla for my next car, or an L Series.
    According to an article from the detroit news, Saturn has the highest owner loyalty rate in the industry, 1 in 3 Saturn buyers return to buy another one. A new SUV offers great hope for the company and sales are up 21 % this year.

See the article at

http://www.detnews.com/2000/autos/0010/06/b01-130505.htm
  • dona18dona18 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem with the overheating. Every time I would stop in the traffic where my car would idle for a long time it would overheat. Even in the winter time I was forced to turn my air conditioner on so that the fan would be and it would cool it down. I took my car to the mechanic and it turned out to be my sensor. It didn't read the right temperature so the computer didn't turn the cooling fan on. It's been a year since I replaced my sensor and my car works fine without overheating. I hope this helps anyone.
    Ranked #2 by JD powers for customer satisfaction.

Overall satisfaction ranked by consumer reports - Saturn #1
  • republicanrepublican Member Posts: 11
    I am going to buy that new Saturn SUV when it comes out. I think Saturn is one of the best automakers in the world.
    I hope you had or let the mechanic replace the thermostat in your Saturn when he rplaced the coolant temperature sensor. It has been my experience that once the engine overheats that the thermostat doesn't work properly, either the engine runs hotter or runs cooler and both affect gas mileage.
  • verysaturnverysaturn Member Posts: 1
    Saturn is playing games with you. There is a documented problem with the engine head on the Saturn SL1/SW1 sedans with base engine. A defect/crack in the head allows oil, and or exhaust to enter the cooling system, resulting in the problems that you are describing. Engine warranty for this problem was extended to 100K miles. Check out www.NHTSA.gov web site for additional info on this problem and others, such as defective seat back recliners that Saturn was charging customers to replace. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration Web site. Saturn should have sent you notification of this problem, if you are the original owner and kept your mailing address current. Good Luck!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I saw the new Saturn SUV at the Miami International Autoshow last month.....sweeeet!

Have any info on the technical specs??
    I suggest you visit www.saturnfans.com
    They have a good deal of info on the new Saturn SUV. I know it will have a continuously variable transmission like the one used in the Honda Civic HX, available 4 wheel drive, the base engine is the 4 banger used in the L Series, around 135 horses, 145ft lbs of tg.
    Should start around 17 to 18k. I believe it will also share the V6 with the L series, which was taken from the Saab 9-5 and Caddy Catera.
  • stevieweevystevieweevy Member Posts: 12
    I drove a Saturn for the first time today. It was a 2001 5 speed SL2 model. Although it performed adaquately, I noticed that to shift into all gears, the "feel" of it was not smooth, maybe "notchy" if that is a word? Do any of you that drive manual Saturns notice that it is not a smooth shifting trans? Your opinions will be appreciated.
    The shifter is a bit notchy at first. In about 2000-3000 miles it get broken in and actually has a very nice feel to it.

For the smoothest shifter I have ever driven though try out the L series stick. Its pulled from the Saab 9-5. Wow thats nice.
    So may i assume you own a Saturn SL2? Are you happy with it? Would you buy it again? I am considering buying it although I can get much more equipment for the same price( since saturn won't haggle) with a sentra or a bargained down civic.
    How can you get more car with a Civic for the money? I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The civic IS the better overall CAR in terms of reliablity. No car out there has a better track reccord - I would say that. However it cost more to own and is not as fun to drive. In terms of cost where I live Honda Civic is second only to the Accord in terms of cars most stolen (Los Angeles) and you pay about 30-35% more to insure a Honda. Also the civic doesn't have a 5 ***** government safety rating for the front driver and passenger.

I would go the Saturn route again. I have a SC2 and it is a lot of fun to drive - has given me no trouble, and LOOKS a lot cooler than a Civic. You can get a 2001 SC2 manual for 16000 - this includes all the power features with remote keyless entry ect ect. Thats a LOT of car for the money.

Finally for me I like to be a little different and EVERYONE has a Honda (so it seems) Boring.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Has anybody seen this website? As a person considering a SL2, I was shocked at the amount of entries from ANGRY owners. Not just one angry owner, but over a hundred entries about saturns stalling at random, oil burning engines, and unhelpful saturn reps that pass the buck and blame the customer. Is this true? What do the people that like to post on this site think? Read the column from where people relate their stories.
    Is run by a Lawyer who did aftermarket stuff to his radio/alarm ect making electical modifications and then wanted Saturn to take responsibility when he had electical problems.

Saturns are not perfect cars by any means. If you want to see how reliable they are, go to consumer reports and check out their reliablity rankings. Also Saturn has a better track reccord than any other Auto manufacturer for resolving customer issues - hence Consumer Reports ranks them number 1 in this regard. Finally - Saturn currently enjoys the highest loyalty rate of any auto manufacturer. If Saturn owners were really so unhappy, wouldn't they be buying something else?

I question the credibility of a site where the person who runs it has very questionable credibility.

Even so, it is a CAR and as such there will be people who have problems with them and will be unhappy. Read back in this thread... I have posted some interesting observations about disgruntled Saturn owners.
    I realize that the person that created the website is one person; I am referring to the dozens of other posts by many other people through that website sharing horror stories about their saturns. That is what is influencing me and I am having second thoughts about buying, that is all.
    Stevieweevy

Note that the Saturnexposed site has not been updated since dec, 1999. Saturn did offer to buy back his car even thou they had no responsibility for it's problems that were caused by him. He decided he wanted to try to suck money out of Saturn cause he felt it was "owed to his lazy A##".

As far as the numerous complaints, many of those cannot be proved as to their authenticity, I myself posted a messege on their where in which I had a few choice words to say about the lawyer who created that site regarding sheep and it was posted right along with the others. For all you know, he could have sat there for days and posted a hundred or so messeges, you wouldn't be the wiser.

It is best to listen to large independent, un biased sorces like www.consumerreports.com, www.jdpower.com, www.intellichoice.com who all have relativly good things to say about Saturns. Are they perfect, no. Are they as bad as some people say, No. The choice is up to you, and as a smart consumer just like the other 2 million plus Saturn owners, I am happy with my first Saturn SL, and plan on getting another Saturn next year, not sure which model, except it will be a Saturn.
  • bahr1bahr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 94 SL1 for 5-1/2 years and have had few problems until lately. I have 104,500 miles on my car and have not had much maintenance done except for regular oil changes. Now my car is in for repair - the EGR Valve, EI Module and Coolant Temp Sensor. My 'check engine' light and temperature gauge have been going on and off for the past several hundred miles, but I have ignored it until I had the cash to get my car fixed. I also have to get my serpentine belt replaced soon and my coolant hoses.

I have been reading other's responses and have to add that I also have problems with my key getting stuck in my ignition switch. I'll be able to pull the key out, however it will not be in the 'off' position so the bells will go off, etc. I just 'wrote it off' as having an older car, but it seems very common from the different responses I've seen on this site as well as others.

So far, I don't think that is that much for a 94 with almost 105k miles on it. But, as Murphy's law goes, the big money items always happen after the car is paid off!!
    I have a 99sl2 bought new april 99 and now have over 38000 miles. I had a problem with the exhaust repaired under warranty and a outer door panel replaced under warranty. Had no other problems. I do as much of the maintenance myself. Have changed oil and filter around 3000 miles and at 33000 replaced the transmission fluid and filter and replaced air filter twice.
    As with any car, you can have problems that take awhile to resolve. Oil burning is at times caused by the driver/owner, ie not changing oil and filter on a regular basis, and driving habits I see people that have to be going the speed limit or faster as soon as possible. that type of drving takes its toll on the engine and transmission. Other times it is a defect in the engine casting and without removing and taking the engine apart, you don't know which is the cause of oil burning. This is my own opinion and real life observations. Also I would not be afraid to buy another Saturn!
  • mrhall52mrhall52 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new Saturn SL2 sedan, a week old. In the space of a week, we've had two instances where the key wouldn't turn in the ignition switch. Both times my wife -- it's her car -- fiddled with it for about 15 minutes before it would turn. The car is at the dealer's now, being fixed.

Has anyone else had this trouble? If so, is it indeed fixable? Or should I just give it back to them?
    The Saturn is by far the best small car you can get. It is made in America. My wife have one and it is 5 speed and has 64,000 miles on it and we've only had it on the shop three times. We replaced the clutch at about 45,000 miles, the alternator at 52,000 miles, and the front axle right under 60,000 miles. By 64,000 miles in most foreign cars the timing chain would have broke and the engine would be dead. I will definately look at another one when this one goes under.
    Pure ignorance. That's all I have to say. Your experience is pretty sad, especially if it is the norm for Saturn. None of those repairs are normal for that low mileage of a car. My mom's 92 Accord has 183,000 miles. It still has the original clutch, the alternator wasn't replaced until 150,000 miles, and the CV axle didn't need replacing until 178,000 miles. Oh yeah, the timing belt never broke and it wasn't replaced until 92K and 180K. Her engine is running strong and doesn't drink a drop of oil. Gee, her car was made in America too, imagine that. Either you don't expect much out of your cars or you have never had the luxury of experiencing a real quality car.
    Republican is obviously NOT a Saturn owner - he is just making an unfunny joke.

It amazes me how many Saturn Bashers there are out there.
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    If the key doesn't turn then the steering column may be locked. Try turning the wheel a little and the key should turn.
    I am a Saturn owner! A loyal Saturn owner! I am looking at the bigger Saturn now for my own car. It has been the best car we have ever bought in terms of reliability. No car is going to make it past 60,000 without some kind of problem. My Saturn has had the least problems of all my cars. I bet if you got one of these little Hondas it would have more problems than the Saturn.
    Those comments coming from someone who claimed before to own a Hyundai Accent ! Nuff said.
  • toyota4x4toyota4x4 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 95 saturn SL2, a 96 Geo Prizm Lsi(toyota corolla) and a 92 Honda Civic. All 3 cars are excellent for reliability, resale and gas mileage, but I would definately prefer driving the Prizm or Civic because they are quieter and a smoother ride. However to anyone who is interested in a saturn I would recommend them. Mine has been excellent. I couldn't buy a new one though because Saturn makes about $2,000 off the car plus a hefty 3% holdback.
    According to Toyota4x4, it was stated that "Saturn makes nearly 2 grand off the car plus a hefty 3 percent holdback".
    When comparing REAL invoice numbers to MSRP, the Saturn SL compact is close to $ 600.00 over invoice at MSRP plus the dealer holdback. The Saturn L 100 Midsize sedan is around $ 1000.00 over invoice plus the dealer holdback.
    At this time, Saturn is essentially discounting there cars, Saturn Corp. currently offers 1.9 % Financing across the board for all Saturn models- which means Saturn had to buy down the interest rate= discounting cars. Also, untill the end of november in some parts of the US, if you take delivery of a 2001 Saturn SL compact (base model) only, they will give you 90 days to make your first payment.
    With GM's 1.5 Billion investment dollars coming, Saturn is offering low interest rates and competitivly priced cars compared to the competition to aid sales untill newer and more exciting cars roll out in years ahead. In which case, Saturn's glory days may return by retaining more, and regaining loyal Saturn owners.
    Saturnboy you are close.

A Saturn SL has about 400 in GROSS profit - SL2 has about 1000.

L100 has 800 - L300 has 1200.

Holdback is not dealer profit. They help offset the cost of doing business. NET profit is a different story altogether. I don't know why anyone would worry about how much money a dealership is making anyways. Compare the price of the car and the value you get for it to other similar cars and the price you can buy them for. Make your decision from that.

Deciding what car to buy based upon how much "profit" a dealer is making doesn't make any sense.
    Repub, your logic is far from true. It is very possible to have no serious problems before 60K. Your repairs are ridiculous for that low mileage of a car. And where are you coming up with your notion that the Honda Civic won't do as good as your car? Have you ever owned one? I seriously doubt it with your "buy only American namebrand" mindset. Like I said before, which I noticed you totally ignored, my mom's 92 Accord EX was way more reliable than your Saturn and proved your logic concerning Hondas is seriously flawed. Her first repair was not needed until 83K. Before that, the only thing done to her car was oil changes, air filter changes, and spark plugs. Not one mechanical repair was needed compared to your 3 repairs before the 60K mark. And what do you have to say to that? Nothing you can say can change that truth, but you go right ahead and keep believing your confused mind.
    Saturnboy, what does what I own have to do with anything? I am proud to own a Hyundai Accent. I have had no problems with my car in its first very crucial 7400 miles (the first 10k tends to mark the car a lemon or not). I am not bashing Saturns; only the blatantly ridiculous statements said by Republican. You have to admit that him claiming his Saturn is reliable after 3 major repairs in only 60K is ridiculous. I wouldn't call it a piece of junk, but it is far from extremely reliable. I do not think, however, that his car is the norm representative of Saturn's quality. At least, I seriously hope not, for Saturn's sake and everyone who buy's them.
    lngtonge18,
    If you car has not had a couple of problems before 60,000 miles such then you aren't paying attention. My Saturn have the three problems I listed before 60,000 miles. None of them were that serious so I think the Saturn is a good car.
    You're moms Honda might be the one in millon that have no problems! The Saturn have the least problems of any car I have bought in my lifetime! I like the little Saturns I think for the money you are getting a darn good product. Probably the best of all little cars!
    I find it intriging that you replaced the clutch at 45k miles in your saturn. I did own a mazda protege before my saturn. I sold the mazda to my son and at 130k+ miles it still has the original clutch. Since I did not want another standard shift car my saturn has the automatic. I hope I get more than 52k and 64k miles for alternator and right axle on my saturn. Now it has clos to 39k miles and runs fine. Most of my driving is highway driving.