Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    I am looking at a 2003 or 2004 Lesabre Custom, any comments on these cars, drivers opinions, service issues. Thanks all
  • trixie500trixie500 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my '92 Le Sabre about a month ago and love it! Just yesterday, I noticed that when I turn the heater on, the smell of raw gas fills the car. When I turn the heater off and open the windows (brrr it's cold) it goes away. I looked and smelled under the hood and didn't notice anything odd. Has anyone heard of this?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter in Southern California is looking to interview a retiree who has been very loyal to the Buick brand over the years, right up to the present. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, March 22, 2006 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about the topic of interest.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • lngjnlngjn Member Posts: 1
    The button on my driver's door will not go all the way in to open the door.
    The inside pull handle works to open but outside does not.
    Anything I can try before taking off the door panel etc.?

1988 Buick Lesabre
  • chucka1chucka1 Member Posts: 3
    Simple question I think:

Where is the cabin air filter located in a 2004 Buick LeSabre Custom?

Also, is it easy to activate the turn lights (not turn signals)
    when the lights seem to be there in the headlight group?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The cabin air filter is under the hood. Open the hood. Look right in front of the passenger below the windshield wiper. You'll see a cover about the size of a tissue box. It has two snap clips. Your car might not have the opening or may not have the filter present. If it has the opening, the filter and the plastic frame that holds it in place are available from the dealer for about 50$. Replacement filters are about $18 at PepBoys. Napa stores or others might have the frame to slip in a lot cheaper. I'd call around a lot.

I have just read on a discussion about someone who had added the cornering bulbs to a Custom. I believe from that discussion they weren't available as an option on a Custom. I don't know for sure. You would need a service manual for that car for the wiring and a good ability to understand where a relay has to be put that turns on the bulbs to do that.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Thanks so much.

:D
    I've had a 2004 custom since August 2004.

Have had no problems and there is head room for a 6'7" driver.

Gas milage might not be as advertised.

I'd buy again.
    Gas milage might not be as advertised.

I'm not sure what you mean with that statement. My 03 gets 22 when my wife drives it only for short trips 1-2 miles to stores and back; 24 in my short drives. On interstate trips it gets 29-32, typically 31 mpg with 3 adults and full luggage weight and air and 70 mph on interstate trips. On local flat road no stops it gets 35-38; just hit the button and cruise at 55. Starts and stops lower that.

The Mulroney sticker said 29/19 IIRC.

My 98 does the same but cold starts in winter really cut down the overall mileage.

• sonnyduransonnyduran Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 le sabre vibrates at 65 75mph has done this since I purchased it new. dealer and GM cannot seem to solve problem.anyone have solution? several wheels balances and new michelins have not helped.
    Have the tires been road force balanced by a tech who knows how to troubleshoot leSabre problems?

Is the car completely realigned? Not just within tolerance range for each setting?

• 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    You may want to take it to a tech that can check the vehichles Dynamic balance b/c 65-75 mph is usually where the problems for that are. Static balance is usually vibrating noticiably at 55mph.
  • jef4jef4 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 98 Lesabre that had a blown head gasket while I was on vacation. It had 72,000 miles and it broke down on a Sunday in Columbia, SC. It cost $2500. I found out that the 98 has a plastic manifold and blown head gaskets are not uncommon. I called GM to express my anger. They were very nice. They even called the garage that "fixed" the engine to see what caused the problem. GM sent me a certificate for a substantial discount on a new GM car, if I decide to buy one within a year.
    It's nice that they offer a discount off their profit on a new car; why now fix the one they didn't build right, that they've known has a problem since 1998?

I asked them to pay the parts and/or labor cost for the repair on my intake manifold. They lost track of my calls through the first cycle. Months later some nasty, MBA type wannabe manager came through with the same type of offer as for you--but my wife had convinced me to buy a new car months before. Why would I want another new Buick?

GM didn't handle this problem right and it is hurting them image now in sales. They earned what they got on this item. A partial payment for cost of repair of these intakes would have done a lot of PR.

• 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    GM is not perfect though evryone wants to try to make them be. They stand behind there work by doing jef4 right. When the 2500HD we own was in the shop due to computer problems, they called up to the dealer to see what the problem was. This is in the boondocks of NC so they must really care if ya ask me.
  • hotkimchihotkimchi Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm very curious because my mother is having the exact same problem with her '98 LeSabre. Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • terex58terex58 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem, got a new key and still didn't work, would really appreciate advice.

Thanks
    If you feel it's the key sensors inside the key cylinder now making contact you can replace the key cylinder ( $250?) or you can try the bypass the puts a resistor in line to replace the key in the cylinder's resistance.

If you don't believe it's anything else in the VATS circuit
    http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/292005/169809/art- icle.pdf

http://www.12vp.com/info_resistors.htm

The first article is dealer service oriented. The second tells how you can find the right two wires (often in a little orange tube the looks like a wire) and where the base of the steering column is you can connect in a resistor of the proper resistance (measure you key chip's resistance) and make the computer think it has the right key in it all the time. Some service location people can do this that aren't dealers.

• jebusweebusjebusweebus Member Posts: 2
    I want to put a performance air intake on my lesabre. I need some help because as you may know there are no kits out there for most buicks, and I really dont feel like building one. Can anyone tell me what intake for what kind of car would best fit on my Lesabre??
  • duddly101duddly101 Member Posts: 7
    My 2001 Lesabre's air bag seat belt warning light stays on, usually in the morning, or when the car is started after sitting overnight. The air bag light stay lit, and seat belt light will flash, then go out. The air bag light will stay on. While the seat belt is flashing, latching and re latching the drivers seat belt has no effect. After I drive several miles, and the engine is warmed, the only way to clear the air bag light is to re start the car. Interestingly tho, on warm days, after the car sits in the sun most afternoon, everything works normally. Has any one experienced this problem, and is the remedy a DIY?
  • romeroomromeroom Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace an ECM (Electronic Control Module) on my '94 LeSabre. Where is this part located?

Thanks.
  • jebusweebusjebusweebus Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I own a 1988 buick lesabre. can anyone tell me how to remove the front bumper? Please help.
  • hydrohydro Member Posts: 1
    I picked up a '93 Buick Lesabre for a very low price considering it has 130k kilometres on it. Yes im metric. But for about the past week I have noticed a gas odour, and to my further imspection found a gas leak under the rear passenger side. When the engine is one it drips alot more then when the engine is off. I took it to a garage and they told me I need a new "Fuel level sending unit" and probably a new "Gas Tank" since it would be corroded. It was then estimated at $731 (CAN) for the job. I know its not that much considering, but does this sound right? I know I can get a gas tank for $200, and the Sending unit for $75..so is the rest all labour, is it really that big of a job?
  • hevonenhevonen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 LeSabre Limited with 64,000 miles and never any serious or lingering problems.

For the last two months, after heavy rains, water has collected on the floor of the right side passenger compartment, mostly in the rear, occasionally extending to the front seat. The carpet is saturated. No other area even hints of moisture -- not the seat, the ceiling, the door or any other upholstered item, just the floor. The doors and windows were closed during the deluges.

The fluid gives off no odor -- doesn't smell like gasoline or coolant.

The dealer had no clue as to what the problem could be. I know the battery sits under the rear seat so could there be some kind of line running beneath the floor board that could be leaking water?

Much appreciate any answers or even just educated guesses.
    Was the car driven during the rains or did the water come in around seals or something without being driven in the rain.

Ideals. Does it have a sunroof. Occasionally a drain tube clogs or kinks and water goes wrong place.

Do you see any water dripping around the botton edge of the front or rear door immediately after the rain. There is a plastic water seal layer inside the door that is sealed with butyl caulk and sometimes that doesn't seal right and the water gets to the interior of the car.

Do you have any looseness in the rubber seal around the door. To check use a dollar bill and open the window and run it along the rubber seal. You will feel the areas where the seal isn't making good contact.

If occurs during driving check lower parts of same rubber seals for ways tire spray from front can get in around front of rear door or back of front door.

• kessarykessary Member Posts: 2
    yes, had the same problem with 98 Buick 3800 series II, Be careful, part of the leak is also EGR (basically hot exhaust)leaking into the crankcase which will turn your engine oil into a very thick grease like substance, I burned up my engine the day after replacing the intake. It will clog your pickup tube in the oil pan where it picks up the oil. Am now in the process of rebuilding engine at 111,000 miles. So don't take a chance the oil pan is very easy to get off, just drop it and pull the pickup tube off and clean it very well. Good Luck.
    The EGR tube only would leak into the air stream to be burned in the motor. It might affect driveability with additional oxygen-free air going in. But the oil wouldn't be affected.

The oil sludging sounds like lack of oil changes, poor filters, both, or poor oil quality used.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    That sounds about right for my son's '98-- 22-30 or so. It gets surprisingly good mileage for such a large car.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • fltcoilsfltcoils Member Posts: 8
    I am pleased with my LeSabre.

Has anyone else had a problem with the wheels rusting?

My car is a 2004 celebration edition, has 16" chrome wheels. Was made in late May 2004. Now just 2 years old the front wheels are covered in rust. I'd thought that brake dust was covering them, but on closer inspection, no, it's rust.

I'm wondering if this is covered by warrenty.

??
    I'd get to the dealer immediately to let them determine what's happening. I've noticed the brake dust if not kept off will form crud that resembles rust. But it's possible there is an early rusting problem.

I have had trouble finding a good cleaner for my wheels. Chrome Celebration 03. I just use a chrome polish and try to let it rub off the brake dust bits that stick.

• jtong321jtong321 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everybody.
    I have a 2002 LeSabre custom with 44k miles. I bought it used last fall. After it worked very well for several months, the air bag light came in July. Initially, I took it to local dealer, the dealer told me that it's just a sensor over-reaction problem and fixed it by cleaning something and clearing the record. However, after a month, the air bag light came on again. I took the car to same dealer. Now they said I need to change the air bag control module (cost $550). I am wondering if anybody here had the same problem? Do you think the control module causes the problem? And how much did you spend for this kind of problem?
    I also found that during day when temperature is high, the air bag light will come on. However, if the temperature drops (during night), the light may not come on. This finding may be pure coincidence. Thanks a lot for any suggestion.
  • sizzmansizzman Member Posts: 2
    I am working on 1995 Buick LeSabre. It will run ok for awhile, but then it stalls and is hard to start. Recent work on it was a normal tune up, Spark plugs, wires, gas filter, and air filter. I even dropped the gas tank and cleaned it out. Also, when I rev the engine, I can not get it to go over 4000 rpms. It seems like it gets too much gass or air and starts to choke out until it gets back down to 3500 rpms. I have also cleaned out the port injectors. The check engine light comes on, but Autozone states that there computer reader only does 1996 and newer vehicles. Any ideas on the problem?? Any help is appreciated!!
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    I would check the fuel pressure regulator
  • wingnut691983wingnut691983 Member Posts: 3
    Hi!

I have been looking for a place to get some help for a 'do it yourselfer' who doesnt want to pour a lot of cash into a 13 year old car. We had a really rainy day last week and one road that I go through to get home from work had a substantial amount of water over it, after going through it (i was probably going 20 or so) I went about 200 feet and the sucker stalled out. After that it would not start, i sat there for 10 minutes or so and then it would start and run fora bout 3 seconds and then stall out. It did that several times. Since the last time it did that it has not started since and will only crank.

A buddy of mine and I looked at it today, we found that the plugs are not sparking. Took one out and cranked it and nothing. The wires and all are fine. Suspected the coil packs, took them off and took them to auto zone and they tested out fine. The guy at autozone said we might want to check the camshaft sensor which is one the side of the engine down by one of the pulley wheels, said if that gets water in it it will not work and will not spark.

To "test" that would be 36 bucks for a new one and have never replaced that before so am not even sure I can do it myself so I would like to have some semblance of it being a good idea before I do that. Obviously it wont start so if i need to take it someplace I will have to have it towed. (I was 3 miles away from home so a friend pulled it back to my house with his truck)

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! :sick:
  • jjz1jjz1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I have a 200 custom with 121000 miles on it. My check engine light came on, and the trouble code is reading an EVAP emmission control leak. I still need to look the car over, but has anyone experienced this problem before, and maybe know of a particular section of the system that is known for leaking? The car runs great, I recently replaced the plugs and wires. Perhaps I knocked something loose while doing so...any ideas woould be greatly appreciated.
  • fltcoilsfltcoils Member Posts: 8
    A few months ago I posted a concern that the chrome wheels had rusted on my 2004 celebration edition lesabre limited.

Buick has replaced them, free of charge, so I am very happy. Now I can put those final 150 miles on the car and pass 36000. And wax my wheels.

Have I said the engineering of the Lesabre (and Century) powertrain is exceptional? It is. I greatly appreciate the low RPM torque and overdrive highway fuel economy. I just wish Buick made a 2500lb car with this same philosophy. Such a car could surely get 45 or 50 mpg on the highway!
    First place is gas cap. Check the seal it makes with the top of the tank tube. I put vaseline on it to help seal.

Then the car will do a check for tank seal when it's restarted lukewarm. I.e., drive 3-4 miles. Stop motor for while. Restart car. It may do a check on the evap system. Light may go off if the problem is gas cap seal.

• dagardagar Member Posts: 1
    Can you give me an idea what i'm looking for on "Passenger Climate Control" on my 1995 Buick Lesabre Limited. Control panel lights up, but seems stuck on cold. It's winter time and my side blows heat and passenger side blows cold.
    Can you help me out.....Respectfuly....Gary
    Without crawling under my dash (again) I believe you may have a problem with the link to the door that adjusts the relative air flow to the passenger side.

Take off the hush panel underneath the passenger side dash. Four or five little screws and clips. Look for a box about the size of a paperback novel sitting at an angle to the right side of the heater box. At the bottom is a link, white plastic or nylon IIRC. It's supposed to move left and right to adjust the requested air flow temp tot he passenger.

If it's not snapped to the slip at the left end which goes into the heater box through a hole with foam around it, it will be a snapin fit from the back, I believe. You may be able to move the link in and out that's going into the box to see that it changes the passenger temp.

If the link is unsnapped, that's the easiest problem. If the link is not moving from the programmer box end, that may mean the electric motor inside the programmer box is stuck or dead. I bought a replacement programmer at a recycling yard for $100--high I thought, but they are good and knowledgable and worth it. It got to show the puller what I wanted by showing him my car disassembled and where I wanted things cut.

There also is a little electric motor on top of the heater box right next to the programmer and connected to it by two little wires, but I think that's the one for overall temperature control. It gives problems by having a gear crack. It can be replaced. It's harder to get to.

If you diddle with the two links you may loosen up a stuck vane inside the heater if that's the problem. If the link is snapped off the clip, I _believe_ you have the car requesting full heat to snap the link on in the right position. The programmer will index the thing when it's restarted. If it's wrong it may give flashing digits to indicate something's not where it expects it.

Both of these are easier if you remove the five screws under the glovebox and remove it.

• bnexbnex Member Posts: 1
    Folks,

I am looking for the following parts for a V8 1970 Buick LeSabre:

- For the front suspension, I need the complete assembly and 2 upper control arms.

- 2 strut bars

- Rear brake shoes

- Core support

I prefer new parts but am having a very tough time finding these parts and will accept used if in decent shape.

If you don't have these parts could you suggest a supplier who might have parts for this car?

Thanks very much in advance!

BNEX
  • mkuszekmkuszek Member Posts: 1
    Hope I can get some help with this one. My 1999 LeSabre's all of a sudden is giving me a real erratic heater display. It's freezing and I got no heat. Thought it was maybe the thermostat so I changed it. NOPE.
    What happens is I can get heat if I put the windshield defrosted on.,but when I switch it to mid level or lower level it turns cold. No the AC does not go on,just cold air comes in the car.Not heat.The display gets weird and says EXT. and changes the temperatue numbers every few seconds or minutes randomly.
    Is this a control gone bad or some type of heating module?The display looks fine but reads like it is getting wrond info. Where do you think I should start?
    Do you have the automatic dual air conditioner? If so I'd ask first if you have done anything around the wiring and vacuum tubing under the dash?

If you have the standard system I haven't worked with that one. I have had many wonderful hours of underdash time with my dual ACC and replacing the programmer when bypassing the vacuum tubes that control the doors.

The reason I suspect a ground is a defection head (control on the dash) shoud find an error and flash the numbers for about 90 seconds and then be stable. It sets a code that's readable with a scanner (Scan II) not the kind like Autozone has for the motor.

If not I'd suspect a defective dash unit or a grounding problem. Are you in a climate where there is lots of moisture getting into your car when you open the door and get in and out. A common ground problem to corrode is the one by the A pillar as it goes into the door sill. This can cause symptoms such as door locks not working, climate control changing, and other strange things I forget. One person had their car dying and he tried stomping next to the ground area in aggravation and it made contact again and started.

I had not dug into these on my own Lesabre 93 that developed symptoms-my wife made me trade it first.
    I also understood there was one by the parking brake in the pillar area and one back next to the driver's seat. This picture looks like it's from wiring bundle somewhere in between. There also is a groundblock on the passenger side. But most people with problems find the moisture has corroded the copper in the buss bars on the driver's side.

My test would be some hammering on the wire bundles where there's lots of electrical tape wrapped around the ground busses to hope to make good contact again until the corrosion grows again. That could let you know it is a ground connection.

• leolileoli Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy a used car - Buick LeSabre. The details are, 2003, with 85,000miles. It was once used for business purpose.

I am really a freshman in Buick even in car, could any kind people give me some suggestion for this car?

by the way, the price is asked 8500 dollar.
  • wigloowigloo Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully you can help! After starting the car the heater blend door behind the glove box moves fully in both directions (open & closed). When it stops it blows only cool air. If I turn the temperature to its hottest setting the blend door only moves a small amount. The only way to get hot air from any of the vents is to physically push the blend door linkage to the far right. Any ideas??
  • lesabreloverlesabrelover Member Posts: 9
    The only thing I'd be concerned is, check the maintenance records to make sure it was taken care of properly. In August of 2005 I bought a 2003 Lesabre that was a lease return and I was given all the maintenance records with it. I've put 20,000 miles on it and have not had any problems. I've been changing the oil and filter, of course.
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    Is there a cure for the power steering puump whine on a '95 LeSabre? I replaced thepump and it si still there.
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Hey, ya'll have been a big help on previous problems, so maybe you can solve this one for me. My mom has a '99 LeSabre, with approx. 84K on it. I have noticed the E-brake light will sometimes come on even if the brakes are not touched. It seems to come on when I accelerate hard, and just then. The brakes will lock up on ice too. Has anyone else had this problem? I seem to think that it may be the ABS sensor going bad, but it's just a theory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: The car has a waaaayyyy too floaty ride, can we change out the struts and springs to make it better? Would that help any? Thanks a million.
    Without doing an research, I believe the ebrake light is also the fluid level for the master cylinder. It may mean the brake pads have worn enough and more fluid has gone into the wheel cylinders to lower the master cylinder level. In other words, have the front brakes checked. My rears have lasted 150K mi, so I doubt yours have worn. I think mine are about 2/3 still present on the back drums.

The ABS system should work or give you the warning light that there's something wrong. If you are going slow and try to lock up the wheels on ice they will lock up. The system doesn't seem to work below a certain speed.

The 84000 miles is about 35K miles late for strut replacement. I put Monroe Road Sensing struts, they had the air leveling on the rear since my Limited 98 has that. I just kept watching at Sears for what was their best sale on 1/2 price struts or full price with no installation charge. I forget which...

I don't like Sears since they ruined two studs and wouldn't replace the last one at their expense. It wasn't my fault they run the nuts off and on without cleaning the threads using their high speed air guns... to rotate and rebalance the tires taht are lifetime balance...

The struts will make a world of difference. You might do well with Delco replacements also. I had driven some loaner cars from my dealer that had repacement struts that I believe they put on. The dealer gives loaners for any service you have done and use cars off the used car lot, often ones with highermileage that tend not to sell. They had a 95 Park Ave that had 165K mi on it before they quit using it that had replacement struts that I thought were GM.

• dee41dee41 Member Posts: 3
    :cry: I have a 95 Buick Lesabre with over 100,000 miles on it, and i think the transmission is slipping!
    If I step on the gas to hard it will rev up as if it is in neutral. If i let up just a little off the gas, It will then go back into gear. This happens while in (OD) We replaced the modulator, and it seems to be a little better, But will still do it at around 50-60MPH. I have read in other forums that the modulator has to be adjusted, That there is a small screw that you turn clockwise, or counter clockwise. However i'm not able to find it!!! Anyone have any idea's???
    Also Dose that stuff called "Transmatic" For automatic trans really work???
    How many times has the drain, change filter, and refill maintenance been done on this transmission?

When the modulator was changed (external job?) was the oil drained and filter replaced?

My first thought would be a filter not letting fluid pass through it because it's partly stopped up.