Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• Options
    deewofdeewof Member Posts: 11
    My 2000 Le Sabre produces air that is only slightly cooler than room temp. from the 2 vents on drivers side, while producing air that is adequately cool from the 2 vents on the passenger side. In the winter time,the problem is similar, with the passenger side getting enough heat, but not so the driver's side. This problem became much more evident after I replaced the condenser last July. Service reps.at 2 different GM dealers seem as baffled as I am. I'm hoping some of you have encountered / cured this perplexing problem & can share some hot tips.
  • Options
    robert_orobert_o Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 LeSabre. I believe a need a special brake tool to replace rear pads. Is it a simple job? I worked on cars years back buit not juch on rear discs. Do I have to buy the tool from GM? What specs is there on how far back caliper must go?

Thx.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I haven't done rear pads on mine yet. I believe you're talking about a tool that catches the two spots on the piston to turn it to move it back in. The pistons don't compress like the front pistons do; they must be screwed back in to accomodate the thicker new pads.

I'd do some checking at the parts stores including walmart to see if they have something. It may be you can do it with two ends of a pair of pliers for all I know.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    robert_orobert_o Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Saw a kit advertised on Amazon.com for about $60.00.

Did rear pads years ago on a Lincoln and was better w/a special tool that retracted the piston.

Just wondering.
  • Options
    mailinator711mailinator711 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2001 LeSabre Custom at 84K about 7 months ago for $5000. Price was below fair mkt value, I think. First owner was a rental car company, second was a highway driver. Three months in, the rear window regulator (motor that moves the power windows up) broke. Will cost $200-600 to fix. I haven't fixed it yet, it's just stuck in the up position.

The window regulator was very poorly designed, if you stick around, I'm going to guess that a lot of people will tell you the same thing. Plan on replacing a couple of them for a car as old as this one.

Also I have some sort of leak that developed two months after I bought it. There's a pool of water, probably 4-5 gallons constantly sloshing about. I don't know how much to fix that.

Otherwise, it's a really solid car. No other major problems. Gas averages at 23-27MPG. Rides real real smooth, low noise, crap handling, but drives like a dream for normal city/long distance highway driving. It's a sub luxury car for a very low price.
  • Options
    Where's the pool of water?

The window regulators are available from a Brooklyn company. He fixes them better than the original contractor design.

• Options
    mailinator711mailinator711 Member Posts: 2
    The pool of water collects in the rear passenger side foot-well. I can see up to an inch deep pool of water that leaves a dirt ring around the carpeting within the foot well. The front passenger side footwell gets slightly damp with a less shallow puddle. The entire situation gets much much worse with heavy rain, and it isn't a problem when there's no rain. When I brake hard, I can sometimes hear sloshing water, so I'm guessing there's a lot more water also pooling in some metal undercarriage compartment.

I have no idea what it is, I don't think it's an open window since there are no stains under the window seals. I'm guessing its a failed front windshield gasket that's dripping water on the passenger side.

Thanks for the tip about out the Brooklyn company. Email me at mailinator711=at=yahoo=dot=com. I'm close enough to NYC that a trip there is possible if the price and reputation make doing so worthwhile. I've found some random internet supplier that sells the regulator for $100, and I'm thinking of replacing the thing myself. The dealer is charging $600+ for the parts and labor...
  • Options
    Do you have a sun roof? Their drains come undone and are a major problem.

Next is the door. Front door. Rear door. The gasket around can shrink or let water through. But inside the door, under the plastic, carpet, and cardboard panel, is a layer of plastic that is caulked to the metal frame of the door. This plastic makes the water that comes into the door around the windows stay outside the car. If the caulk sticking has failed, the water can trickle into the car interior.

I'm just telling what I've learned from Bonneville dicussions. Try the garden hose around the doors and then look for trickles of water going into the car.

You'll need to take the carpet partly out to get the underlayer to dry.

• Options
    dee41dee41 Member Posts: 3
    Well I have had the transmission replaced with a rebuilt. However... The tranny expert is puzzled!! He says the rebuilt tranny is not working either, and is having the same problems. He said he inspected the tranny and it looked great! He now thinks it is something in the computer system, Perhaps sending the wrong information to the tranny??? Dose the 95 Lesabre Custom/ with Dynoride have a computerized tranny? Also what dose Dynoride stand for?
    Kinda wondering if I had this rebuilt put in for nothing!! :mad:
  • Options
    mariannesammariannesam Member Posts: 21
    2003 Buick LeSabre driver heated seat switch stays on HI and seat does not heat. HI goes off when turn off car. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    Could be broken heater wire in one of the three element padds in the seat. Could also be the box under the seat that controls the power to the seat when the switch on the door calls for heat.

If you are doing it yourself oriented, I read about people switching the boxes from passenger seat and driver seat to diagnose that as the possible cause. However many people have broken elements. There are aftermarket replacements for the elements. I believe working on them requires disabling the airbag system for the side airbags--which I believe are in the seat... Danger. Read how to do it before acting.

Dealer rebuilds of seats may be $$$.

• Options
    gchecksfieldgchecksfield Member Posts: 36
    If you know where the soft plug is on this car, please tell me. I cannot find it. Bought a nice 2000 with only 28K and would like to drain the antifreeze before I put it on the road. Thanks.
  • Options
    I couldn't find one on my 03. I asked the service guys at the dealer. They didn't find it. They use a flush machine so they don't need it.

I take off the radiator hose and drain. Refill. Run to temp. Drain. Let cool. Refill with distilled water. Run to temp. Drain. Cool pure DexCool to get in the 6 quarts or whatever is needed for the right freeze point. I have to put the last of the liquid into the reservoir tank. But it all mixes.

After running to temperature so lower hose is hot (hot water returning to motor) run motor to 2500 or above 5 times for about 10 sec to force air from heater. Use bleeder screw on top of thermostat housing to bleed out air.

DexCool should be changed every 2 years or 24-36000 miles to be safe. I add two pellets of crushed organic sealer from GM parts counter-5 in pack for a few dollars. They went in with the recall and used to be used in every car. But they give the reseroir tank a dirty look that shoppers don't like to see. I figure I flushed out some of the sealant so I put in some fresh. Next change I may actually put in a chemical flush-a gentle one to clean out system.

Someone mentioned they take out the knock sensor that's low on the block to drain the coolant. There may be a drain on the bottom or lower side of the radiator, but you may have to take off a panel or something...

• Options
    kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    The plug is in the driver's side of the lower radiator. You can't access from the top. You have to take off the big panel that spans the width of the very front of the car. The panel has those push tabs that you just insert a screwdriver under to remove. Once you get the panel off, you will be able to see the drain plug. It is plastic, like most newer cars now, so you have to be careful.
  • Options
    gchecksfieldgchecksfield Member Posts: 36
    I thought I was the only person alive using the technique in 1372. I never heard of the organic sealer; I think I will give that a try. I broke the plastic drain plug on my parents' car once; I will be careful. Thanks to both of you.
  • Options
    leftfootleftfoot Member Posts: 3
    i own a 1985 2dr. By far one of the mos reliable cars ive ever had experience with. Starts every morning with no problems and has never left me stranded and talk about solid!
  • Options
    I just came across the packet of tabs I had bought. They contain ginger, almond shell, sodium carbonate and a large organic molecule.

• Options
    pakman5o2pakman5o2 Member Posts: 1
    My dad is having the same problem, what is the solution?
  • Options
    bozie2bozie2 Member Posts: 3
    My driver's side door window quit working during this past winter. Just stopped working for no apparaent reason. No indication of cable problem as I had in an earlier post. But anyway last Saturday was a warm day and I decided to check it out. Figuring that it may be a fuse blown so I proceeded to use my book that came with the car and find the fuse for that window. Found the fuse in the master fuse box under hood. I pulled the switch control on the door. Easy enough the fuse was ok. I ran a continuity check and all checked checked out ok. could hear the click of trying to operate but would not. So I said all this to lead into my real problem I have now (THE ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT) Remaining on. During trying to find the problem of the window I ran the battery down. Had to jump it off to start due to leaving the door's open too long didn't solve the window problem either. Now the ABS and Brake warning light's remain on. Have done all the known to me to re-set such as removing the battery cables (BOTH Recommended) and then re-connect with no results. They just want go off. Went to Advance Auto Part's for a free check but they had no way of checking and recommended a local repair shop which I know but charges a high price for their work. So I'm at you guy's mercy to help me solve this problem. Thank's (Bozie)
  • Options
    Haven't received any reply on my #1378 posting. Someone out there aught to give me some advice on what is possiably the next step I should take outside of what I have already done that may save me a huge repair bill. I already know that to have a mechanic fix the problem will run into big money when it could be a simple solution. Come on guy's HELP_HELP_HELP. Thank's (Bozie)
  • Options
    lorddrago1lorddrago1 Member Posts: 19
    Ok replaced o2 and got same code agian volt test ahows 4v. Dose not change. Any ideas on what I'm missing?
  • Options
    If you email me an address I can tell you somewhere to look for help that might be useful. Can't post it because of rules here so email me at address in profile or my carspace account here..

• Options
    duddly101duddly101 Member Posts: 7
    I was told it was the air bag restraint computer module. Dealer wants 500 bucks to replace and reprogram. There is a company in Texas that can rebuild , and maintain current data. I havent had the time to remove, It is located in under the front seat carpet, in the hump. 100 bucks, IF it can be repaired.
  • Options
    Thank's for response-My email address is (gammonsh@bellsouth.net)
  • Options
    Does anybody know how to fix my 2003 Buick LeSabre heads up display (HUD)? It is intermittent and very dim when it does work. If it does display, its only for a short time and then gets dimmer and dimmer until you can't see it anymore. The position control works and I have tried adjusting the intensity will no success. Have about 55k miles. Thanks. :sick:
  • Options
    albesurealbesure Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I'm having the same thing on my car. Does any one have any tips on the flashing security sys. on how to disable it?
  • Options
    More info on my HUD problem: It always works at night and during the day its very very dim, even if the intensity is turned all the way up. Any ideas?
  • Options
    wiz1awiz1a Member Posts: 2
    My son just bought a 92 LeSabre (got a great deal on it) but the a/c unit is in terrible shape and is giving signs of the bearing in it giving out. He doesnt want to change the whole unit and really doesnt care for a/c, as it bothers his eyes. I checked with local auto parts store for shorter belt to bypass a/c altogether, but they said one is not listed as that yr/model did not have "no a/c" option...does anyone know the size of the serpentine belt that will bypass the a/c yet can still be tightened to spec? The engine is 3.8

Thanx in advance for any help....
  • Options
    Is it a bearing for the compressor or for the clutch. The clutch an be changed, requires a certain tool I believe, without venting the AC and recharging it--if it's currently got a charge.

People have used a shorter belt to bypass on Bonnevilles. There are variations of motors since 92 to 05 between the two. I'll see if someone gave a belt length.

Someone suggests a 73 inch belt. That's for an L27 Series I motor. I'm not sure how the Bonneville and LeSabre differ for 93. They said that O'Reilly's auto parts has a book giving lengths for AC delete on motors.

Take a good look to be sure that a straight bypass of the AC pulley will work on your application. Be sure there's nothing in between to interfere. Someone had mentioned tht the wrap around the waterpump is less but it still turns okay.

Go in to your local friendly auto parts store and ask what they have. They may have a spec belt for your year.

• Options
    wiz1awiz1a Member Posts: 2
    Thanx for the info, imidazol.... I did notice that the wrap around on the water pump would be less and was not sure if it would be enough... the clutch is entirely gone from the unit. Previous owner did not care and just left it. Thanx again for the info, If it works out I will let all know...
  • Options
    carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    Did you ever find out how to extinguish the ABS light when the brakes are working as they should? Appreciate it if you would share that with me. I was told if the fuse for the system is blown the light comes on with ignition and stays on. Can anyone confirm this? I don't even see a fuse specifically for the ABS system. :confuse:
  • Options
    45bob5745bob57 Member Posts: 2
    I have replace all four of the window motors and regulators...spent approx $1600. Did I miss a recall? Vehical is a 2000 LeSabre. Help!! 45Bob57
  • Options
    Is an Advanced Auto type store able to turn off the code with their readers?

• Options
    anjouanjou Member Posts: 1
    I just inherited a 1992 Buick LeSabre with 135,000 miles from my mother-in-law. Although the A/C does blow cold air, there is very little of it coming out of any of the vents. In MAX A/C mode and the blower on high, the blower fan makes a noise like a tornado, but none of the air is coming out the vents. At lower fan speeds or in NORM A/C mode it is relatively quiet, but has the same symptom.
  • Options
    When you switch between the modes using the buttons do you hear any noises like the vanes in the heater box changing position?

If not check under the hood on the firewall to the driver's side of the center in the relay center/MaxiFuse block for a small vacuum line that pulled off from the vacuum storage tank. That would mean you get no vacuum inside the car to operate the heater doors.

• Options
    wclance3wclance3 Member Posts: 1
    My pump comes on and operates about five seconds and there seems to be no change in the ride; but I have a very slight rattle in the area of the right rear wheel well. I am not familiar with the Buick system; do they use standard air shocks under computer control? Could I have a shock gone bad? Please any comments at all. Thanks
  • Options
    rehman0780rehman0780 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue with my 1995. Thanks
  • Options
    rehman0780rehman0780 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having same issue with my 1995. Thanks.
  • Options
    rvdmadrvdmad Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 Le Sabre Custom has a defective (noisy) a/c-heater temperature control switch. General motors calls this an actuator, part # 89018377. This switch is electrical and located just behind the glove box. The control box housing the switch is small and a shaft rotates as you move the temperature control on the dash back and forth.

I had planned to replace this actuator, which looks simple to do. I checked with the dealer and was told that the new switch must be calibrated and that moving the shaft to calibrate the switch can damage the new switch. If the shaft is rotated further than it is necessary, the shaft will lock and will ruin the entire switch. Of course this concerns me some.

I attempted to find a book for this operation but have not been successful.

Can anyone help me with information or instructions?

I appreciated your help.

Ron D
  • Options
    Try this:
    temperature door actuator R&R
    and this;actuator

You've got mail in your carspace account mailbox here on Edmunds. I just sent additional information to you. click on the "Mailbox" word in the gray bar with all the clickable links across it to get to your mail...

• Options
    rvdmadrvdmad Member Posts: 6
    I really thank you for your help. I have attempted to find the e-mail message that you sent to my carspace account but nothing appears. I think all that I now need is how to calibrate the unit.

This is probably not a good idea but I am listing my e-mail address below. if you will resend the info. I will appreciate it.

Thanks again
    dalrymple1@verizon.net
  • Options
    stacygstacyg Member Posts: 1
    hi 45bob57
    i also have a 2000 buick lesabre that i have changed 7 motors and or regulators at present i have 3 of my windows wired up because i refused to spend any more money on these windows i did ask a dealer about a recall and was told there were none.
    if you have any info to share i would appreciate it. also my dash board is separating from the window.
    thanks
    stacyg
  • Options
    sordzmansordzman Member Posts: 2
    Here is one for all you lighting gurus out there. 1994 LeSabre Custom. Great road car and really good mileage. Has 108,000 on it but well maintained. ABS light stays on but I don't slide 'em anyway and the brakes are really good. Here's the situation: Cruise control works but the "Cruise" light is inop. Next the instrument lights won't come on but I can turn the dome light on with the instrument light rheostat. When the keys are in the ignition and the driver's door is opened, the dinger dings (as it's supposed to); when the ignition is turned off with the headlights on, the dinger dings (as it's supposed to); now, with no keys in and no lights on, when the driver's door is opened, the dinger dings (which it isn't supposed to). I'm thinking it's a fuse but which one? There is a small index pasted to the fuse box cover but doesn't mean much to me. I don't want to give the dealer another chance to guess. Now what? Over.
  • Options
    I have heard people comment about the bell going off at the wrong time. The instrument panel lights not workin may mean a connector at the instrument panel isn't making good contact. It could be grounds at the bottom of the A pillar where the plastic trim follows around to become the door bottom. I have a manual for a 93 but don't have a 94 to check electrical problems. The bells could be suffering from the same ground problem.

I believe I've heard mention of a body control module that controls all the bells and whistles. Don't know where it is and believe it was in a Bonneville discussion where some of these have been mentioned. But my thinking is each is a unique circumstantce. Some leSabres have a small fuse and relay and bell panel on the passenger side above the right foot. Remove the hush panel. On top of the hush panel is a listing of what each item is. Listen to see if that's the source of ding sound by the way. The noise maker itself may be under there..

• Options
    pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    Hi all,

Just got a great deal on a 2004 Limited with 63,000 miles. Paid $9000 at a Lincoln Mercury dealership. My only issue with the car is that the rear outlets do not dispense any air.

I have tried the lever in between the two vents and nothing happens if I move the lever up or down, although I hear some sliding noises inside the vents. Is there a rear air switch I am missing? Do the rear vents only work in certain modes? (ie, only in Air conditioning or when the flow is on the floor)

Thanks for any help. Love the car.

As a side note, is there a better value out there than large, late model American sedans?

Pat
  • Options
    There is a duct that comes lose below the rear vents near the floor under the middle front seat. See if the air is coming out near the floor behind the middle front seat. If it is, then the duct needs to be reconnected. Mine came off on my 2003 about 10 times after 10 visits to the dealer for seat and electrical repairs. To reattach, move the front seats forward and up all the way. Then put your hand on the duct near the floor and push it real hard on and over the solid receiver. The duct is flexible but can come off when you just move the seats too much. Its not easy to get on but mine has stayed on for the last 2 years so hopefully its kind of formed now to stay on. I hope I don't have to remove the seat anytime soon as I probably would never get it to stay on again. I do have a front driver seat heating element out, but have not attempted to fix it for about 1 year.
  • Options
    My AC is not blowing cold on my 2003 Buick LeSabre Limited. It was intermittent about 1 month ago and now has just stopped all together. Also, the blue light on the temp dash control is now out but the red light still works. Further, the lights on the dash fan control now don't work either. Could it be a bad electronic dash AC control panel or a freon leak? Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    sordzmansordzman Member Posts: 2
    Good news in a way. The instrument light problem was a blown fuse (found by easter-egging) now they work. The Cruise light still doesn't but, hopefully, is another blown fuse - now to find it. Suggestion: go to your friendly auto zone and get a pack of 10, 15 and 20 amp mini-fuses and put 'em in the trunk.
  • Options
    pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    Thanks, mariannesam. That did the trick. Kind of a hokey setup for the rear air. I think I will be "fixing" this problem quite often.

Otherwise, great car (except for the cup holders, which are terrible)
  • Options
    anniegalanniegal Member Posts: 1
    This morning the word "Security" light on the panel stayed on after I started and drove my 1998 Buick Lesabre a little ways. Why? What does that mean? It drives so good, it has about 90,000 miles on it. I love my Buick but I'm concerned about this Security Light.

D.C.