Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• dandbhood1dandbhood1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the information about the Dreaded Kazoo Sound. Armed with this info I'm taking it to the dealer to have it "Looked at". Hopefully they'll take the right action.
    About the Torque steering, I think it is fairly typical on the 2000 Buick. I have it on mine also but it doesnt seem to be very strong. Before I bought the car I read a road test report that had mentioned the problem so I guess I wasn't surprised when it happened.
  • tsw019tsw019 Member Posts: 13
    Not a computer guru,use internet very little,not even that familiar with .coms,but glad to be at this Town Hall!! Thanks "MARVD". You may have saved a lot of us days--even weeks or months waiting on a factory response. Wish us luck;hopefully our dealers will be as competent as yours.Will keep in touch.
    Took the Buick in today for "The Fix". Resealing the windshield. Heading out for a 3600 mile trip and will be back after labor Day. Will let everyone know how "The fix" Worked. Thanks to all who talked about the problem, probably saved our sanity. Fingers are crossed!!!
  • moram2moram2 Member Posts: 4
    aNYONE HAVE BRAKING PROBLEMS ON THEIR 97 CUSTOM
    NOT RESPONDING WELL,WILL NOT STOP !!!!
  • okiewildcatokiewildcat Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 94 lesabre, custom. 56,500
    Asking price is 8500. Very good condition. Does that sound like a good price?
  • rviscusorviscuso Member Posts: 2
    Met with the factory rep and left the car with the dealer for two days. Some of the problems were fixed; e.g. drivers door adjusted to correct for water getting past seal, rear seat back reattached. Some problems were not resolved; engine whine sound coming through speakers, rattles throughout the dash (even though the dash cover was replaced) doors and back of vehicle, radio station and temperature settings changed when returning to vehicle, and of course the dreaded wind noise.

Now for the bad stuff; the factory rep says the following are considered normal; blurry drivers side mirror, brake pedal clicking sound when brake is applied (it didn't do this for the first four months), engine that idles smooth then suddenly hiccups and idles rough causing steering wheel to vibrate, pulsating steering wheel when turning at low speeds.

I have contacted Buick customer support requesting their assistance. Now waiting to see what happens next.

To say that owning this car has been a major disappointment is an understatement. Really thought that by now Buick/GM would have its act together, especially for a car in this price range. I appreciate Folsom Buick's efforts in trying to resolve these problems, but if they can't be fixed then what? It's up to Buick to see how much they truly value their customers.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated, am I being too particular about this car?

Lastly, no kazoo noise, just everything else, and torque steer is a byproduct of front wheel drive.
    I once had the wheel literally jerk a good 4-6 inches when accelerating in a turn. Not a good feeling.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    NO - you are not being too particular.
    The problems you describe are NOT normal on any car.

I test drove a LeSabre and was very disappointed.
    Although it was big, fast and heavy and drove and rode really well, it had lots of little stuff wrong with it. The air conditioning didn't work at all, the trunk release had a problem and something was wrong with the driver side power seat.

The design was also flawed by the very distracting reflection of the defroster vent in the windshield. Very annoying. I came away wishing I had bought a 99 LeSabre which I liked much better overall. We wound up buying a 2000 Impala LS.

This torque steer thing shows up to a degree on our Implala and I don't know why.

I previously had a 1989 OLDS Royale 88 and it had no trace of torque steer even under the hardest acceleration.

Your stated problems are more than annoyances - especially the engine hiccup and pulsating steering wheel. No way is that right unless you're straining the steering at the end of its range. According to the LEMON LAW, I think they get three chances to fix a SERIOUS problem.

Good Luck.
  • dauber2dauber2 Member Posts: 2
    My car is a 94 LeSabre and has recently developed a problem with power while the AC is running. My mechanic has changed numerous fuel and gas tank filters and has inspected the spark plugs. Has anyone else had this problem, and what was the eventual fix? The car now has 92,000 miles.
  • acb2acb2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 LeSabre has a loud wind noise on both sides anywhere above 45 mph and above 90 degrees. We drove from Tuscon to Yuma in 110 plus and had a steady, loud whistle from both sides. No noise at all below 85 degrees.

Has anyone had the same experience or has anyone had any experience with their dealership or with Buick on this? Thanks.
  • judysgajudysga Member Posts: 2
    Boy, have I had experience with the dealer, GM, and wind noise!!! I bought a new 2000 LeSabre Limited on July 3. It has had excessive wind and road noise from day one and has been in the shop 15 of the 35 days I have owned it. Today, the dealer told me there is nothing more they can do and that GM does not offer buy backs on cars with excessive wind noise! My next course of action is to contact the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's office to file a complaint, and send a letter to the newspapers. Maybe that will get GM's attention re: the excessive wind and road noise on some of these cars!! Hope you have better luck with your dealer than I have...
  • jkelsojkelso Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2000 limited which i like very much except after 16000 miles i have neverore than 27 mpg hi-way. buick says i shoiuld get 30 plus. anyone else experiencing this?.
    i have a 2000 limited which i like very much except after 16000 miles i have neverore than 27 mpg hi-way. buick says i shoiuld get 30 plus. anyone else experiencing this?.
    i have a 27 mpg max on hi-way after 16000 miles, most miles are 26 only. anyone else with this problem?
  • alturshaltursh Member Posts: 1
    I just put $800 + into the transmission of my 1997 Lesabre at 42000 miles. We love the car and it is the second one we owned. Funny thing was that our 1989 LeSabre needed the same work at approximately the same mileage. Anyone else experience similar problems? The dealer was not aware of any GM program. They told me the same thing bout the rear brakes on my Regal though too.
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    My 2000 LeSabre gets 31 mpg at a steady 70mph. Your mileage, of course depends on the position of your right foot. Highway to me means you fill up and get on an interstate and drive all day where you can maintain a steady speed for more hours than your bladder will allow. Stop and go on secondary roads will bring it down because of the accelerating up to speed limit and then stopping again. In local stop and go I am getting 23.1 while running the A/C. I have 6,500 miles on the car. By the way, no wind noise, no mirror distortion or any of the other complaints mentioned above. Fine automobile.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Sounds like you got the only 2000 LeSabre that was put together properly. I was thinking of buying a 2000 LeSabre, but finally purchased a 2000 Grand Marquis - 17,000 miles and no problems. The LeSabre is a fine automobile and I am surprised at the problems that many owners seem to be experiencing.
    The two cars we tried out back to back on three separate occasions were the LeSabre and Grand Marquis. We chose the LeSabre due to size (it fits in the garage--13 inchs shorter than the Gran Marquis and the wife is the primary driver she likes the size) and the front wheel drive. In spite of the big overall size difference of the cars the interior space is within 10ths of an inch in every dimension except the trunk. We didn't like the big hole in the trunk floor in the Gran Marquis having had a trunk shaped that way in a Dodge Dynasty. But the contest was close. One of the the thing I have found about this type of site is that people come to gripe a lot. Even though it seems like a lot of complaints it can be from a relatively small number of people. I know several other new LeSabre owners who have had no problems with their car. All three get 30+ on the highway but we are the older generation (sigh)and tend to obey speed limits
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    When I was shopping for a new car earlier this year, I narrowed my decision down to the LeSabre and Grand Marquis. I think both are fine vehicles, probably the main reason I chose the GM is because Ford was offering a $1500 rebate and I got my dealer to match this. The sticker was $26,975 and I bought at 23,975, plus I battled and got a fair price for my trade. I agree with you about the trunk, I don't like the hole either. The LeSabre does get better gas mileage and is smaller in size. I felt the GM offered a little softer and quieter ride than the LeSabre. I put about 40,000 miles on a year and my next car will probably be a LeSabre. I have the General Motors Mastercard with over $1000 rebate dollars so a LeSabre is looking like my next car. I agree when you say people come hear to gripe, but as you will notice some cars get more gripes than others. At 41 years old I am not the typical GM or LeSabre buyer, but I refuse to sit in a firm riding car during the 40,000 miles a year that I travel.
    That did help in our situation here also. One of the local dealers was offering $3000 off factory sticker price on LeSabres. Doing the math it came out to like $530 below dealer invoice---hard to turn that type of deal down. And I had done my homework on the invoice and MSRP both on the net and in Consumer mags. I knew it was a great deal.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Considering a larger American sedan, including the Dodge Intrepid.

I think the Impala competes more with the Intrepid than the other two. I don't think the Impala is quite as wide, and has a smaller trunk. Not a bad choice, just want a bench seat.

So it will be a close argument on the other two, and the decision has not been made, but the pro's and con's (You decide which is which) seems to be the following:

LeSabre

Better gas mileage, front wheel drive, GM build quality, torque steer, higher price but more standard equipment

Crown Vic

RWD, V-8, old but bulletproof design, excellent build quality, lower price, lower gas mileage, less equipment on base model

I am looking at the Crown Vic base model with the Performance and Handling Package good for 240 hp. It seems the LeSabre requires a lot of other stuff to get the good performance items. However, if Buick is offering a ton of incentives, could change my mind. But in the Crown Vic you can do big smokey burnouts and feel like a teenager again.

One thing to be said, the competition only makes each car better.
  • nwalkernwalker Member Posts: 17
    I believe you are correct when you say that those who have a problem are more likely to talk about it in this forum than those who do not. I bought my 2000 Limited GT in June of last year. In fourteen months and 12,000 miles it has given me nothing but satisfaction. I would recommend this car to anyone. My initial thought was that I would trade before the warranty ran out but now I plan to wait till the 2003 model year to see what the Park Avenue offers when Buick celebrates one hundred years of automobile production. If I like it, that could be my next car. PS: Are we supposed to be apologetic about our age?
  • bthompbthomp Member Posts: 69
    Only if you reach cooterdome and start complaining about how fast others drive
    I believe you will find the Performance and Handling package on the Crown Vic will only up the horsepower to 215 from 200--it just adds dual exhausts and the handling goodies. The Lesabre comes with a 205 hp V6 which is no slouch. In fact since the Ford is about 4-500 pounds heavier the acceleration is just about identical. Buick offers a Gran Touring pkg for about the same money as the Fords package. But the new LeSabre has a firmer ride than the old and self leveling rear suspension is standard, not an option. For looks I personally like the Mercury Gran Marquis over the Crown Vic, but the options are still there.
    It seems a little strange to me that if I want a Buick Regal I can get it with the 3800 Supercharged engine. And if I want a Park Avenue I can also buy it with a supercharged 3800 engine but I can't get that engine in a LeSabre. For those like JSylvester, above, it gives 240 horsepower and you can do big bad burn outs with the front wheels!! Although I'm satisfied with the 205 hp engine I think Buick could pick up even more sales with the supercharged engine. Come on Buick----don't rest on your heels just because you have had the best selling full sized car in America for eight consecutive years.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    While the 215 hp on the Crown Vic was for 00, for 01 it is now 240 hp. I have no doubt the LeSabre is no slouch.

Looking at the 01 prices, on the LeSabre Custom, to get the touring package, one must order the Luxury Pkge for $1,105, which is nice, but includes stuff I don't really need. With both of those packages, the LeSabre lists for about $26,102.

One can order a CV base with the Handling & Performance Package and CD player for $23,695, or about $2,400 less.

It is true the LeSabre has some nice stuff standard, like keyless entry and a seemingly nicer stereo.

It really boils down to whether one can live with rear wheels' drive advantages & disadvantages, and the poorer gas mileage. I have not compared insurance and repair expenses. I do think the Crown Vic has the advantage in reliability and build quality, but the LeSabre is probably a little nicer. Over 100,000 miles, the gas on the CV is probably going to cost you about $1,250 more.

I doubt if a FWD car can handle more than about 200 hp easily. Had an old Sundance Turbo that would lose traction in any kind of dampness if I hammered it. (Funny thing, that old Chrysler Turbo was probably the most reliable part of the car, never had any problems with that)

Thanks for all the info, I will definetely look at both, as well as the Avalon, but Toyota's don't do much for me.
    If you have the grand touring package on your LeSabre you have a lower ratio axle for acceleration performance. This would hurt your highway mileage. Lots of folks don't think about that when they order the GTP. Same deal for the big Ford/Merc when they go to performance package.
  • eryan1eryan1 Member Posts: 2
    Bulletproof- thats what they claim. Ha ha. My 2000 with just over 18K on the clock puked out about 2 weeks ago. Very violent metal on metal screeching, the sounds of niagra falls for about 5 miles on the interstate and then it calmed down but shift quality was very poor. Barely made it home. Called Buick roadside assistance. Long long wait on hold. Finally they dispatch a tow truck and tell me it will be 1 hour or less. 2-3 hours later the truck arrives and the driver is setting up to jump the battery. I straighten it out and have car hauled back to dealer. Next day I call dealer and request they put in a whole new tranny, not a rebuild of the old. Dealer ignores me and replaces "valve body" only and flushes out the main unit. I barely get off the lot and sense tranny is whiistling and feels different. I call dealer to complain. They tell me it is normal for an electronic tranny to shift different as it "learns" your driving habits.
    Next day sound is very loud on way to work. Complete failure on the way home. Stranded in a busy intersection with stripped out tranny. Turn car off and wait 10 minutes. Then it starts but needs 5K rpm to go 5mph. I limp home making 2 more stop and waits. Buick roadside is called and we start again. Now I have a complete new tranny. By the way I'm the same guy that just went to war earlier this summer with dealer on getting out of round General tires replaced with Michelins. Anyway I thought readers may be interested in my Lesabre experience. Good car, poor build quality, Dealers mean a lot in satisfaction. Mine gets an F.
  • tensortensor Member Posts: 25
    My parents bought got their 2000 LeSabre Custom last November (after a heated debate between this and the Regal), and they have been very happy with it. It is light bronzemist with the Gran Touring, stabilitrack, and heads up display options. It was built in 10/99, and the car is very tight with about 9K miles. The only problem was at 1K miles when we noticed the transmission was making a slight grinding noise. It immediately went back to the dealer where they determined it had a bad heat treated baring. At first they said they would put in a new transmission, but they ended up replacing the baring. We were not wild about this solution, but since this it has been perfect.

We also have a cousin who bought a 2000 LeSabre last summer, and she has had no problems with hers at all and loves it.

No dreaded kazoo sound on either of them.
    Back from our 4000 plus mile trip. Resealing the windshield, twice, did the trick as far as the Kazoo sound was concerned. When we were in Michigan a stone hit and cracked the windshield so I had to have it replaced. They did a good job of replacing it and we still have no Kazoo noise. Thank goodness. As far as mileage we averaged 29.2 MPG with the climate control on all the time and at highway speeds of about 75 average. This includes a couple of hundred miles of city driving. The ride was very comfortable and relaxing but my previous ride was a Dodge 250 Cummins diesal pickup truck. Overall we like the Buick very much and would recommend it to others that are curious about it.
  • eryan1eryan1 Member Posts: 2
    Further to my post # 232. 2 days after picking up my car with the replaced transmission it started to leak tranny fluid. Took it back to dealer and they replaced some seals. I picked it up after a labor day weekend and started off for work. About 4 miles into the trip the service engine light came on. Turned around and left car at dealer- again! Picked up car yesterday and all seems ok so far. I am at my end with this car. If it fails again I will start working with zone office on a buy back.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Back on the 1st of June, bought a 1987 LeSabre for $1K from my grandmother who was trimming her fleet of vehicles. It had 54.5K on the clock.

Did tuneup, oil change, tranny fluid change, new struts and last weekend replace the brakes (she tended to ride the brakes a bit and there was a shudder during high speed stops.)

Just drove it from St. Louis to Columbia, MO for a service call and wanted to check fuel economy, so I filled up before I got on the freeway. Drove to the site, about 10 miles of the 124 was in town, and then filled it up. I had to work hard at getting 4 gallons in the tank. Now I realize that there is more error in such a short trip, be we are talking in the neighborhood of 30-31MPG for a nearly 4000# 13 year old car.

Of course, I set the cruise on 65 (the under 40 crowd can do this, but it was hard.) Driving back I did my usual 80-85 MPH on the freeway and since I was going home, it was 147 miles from the station to the station near my home. On that leg, the LeSabre used 5.8 gallons of fuel, or about 25MPG.

So speed does greatly impact fuel economy. Of course the 25 minutes I saved is worth that extra gallon of fuel over that distance. I got to see my kids before it was bed time.

But have to admit, that is was less stressful to go 65. But I didn't hang out in the left lane, only used the left lane to pass and always made sure I was not impeding faster traffic by my passing maneuvers. I know how I always hate those last minute lane changers who couldn't wait another 5 seconds for me to pass and they pull out in the left lane, passing the vehicle they were following at about 0.1 MPH faster than they were going in the other lane.

Cheers,

TB
  • stan13stan13 Member Posts: 14
    I picked up a new 2000 LeSabre Limited last night. Prior to purchase, I test drove it and discovered the now-dreaded "kazoo" sound. I told the salesperson I would not purchase the car unless the sound was eliminated. They did eliminate it and rather successfully by re-sealing the entire windshield. Don't know the specifics about the cause of the sound but it obviously is related to faulty windshield sealing.
  • bruce227bruce227 Member Posts: 2
    Help,

Bought a 2000 Lesabre and have the kazoo noise.
    Dealer refuses to test car since Mass. speed limit is 65mph and they will not go above speed limit. They will not read the Edmund's postings I brought with me. Literally!! I read it to them.

I suggested they call some dealers who might have solved the problem. They said get me some names and we will call. (can you believe this).

Therfore, I am asking Dandbhood1, Marvd or anyone else if they could give me the names of the dealerships and their phone numbers as well as the service tech they dealt with.

The car is great. The dealer response is mind boggling. thank you for all your help.

Brog227
  • b_mailb_mail Member Posts: 4
    Brog227
    I'm getting the same exact response from my dealer. Since my kazoo noise happens at 75 and above they can't check it out due to the speed limit. I volunteered to drive one of the service tech's but that didn't work either. Also, mine only makes the noise when the outside temperature is above 90 degrees. this makes it hard to get the car to act up with fall coming up. I told the dealer about the results others were having by resealing the windshield, but he said they haven't received any service bulletins on such a repair and that out of all the cars they have sold, I'm the first to have this problem. I'm with you, I need all the advice or help I can get. Keep us posted.
    Brog227
    I'm getting the same exact response from my dealer. Since my kazoo noise happens at 75 and above they can't check it out due to the speed limit. I volunteered to drive one of the service tech's but that didn't work either. Also, mine only makes the noise when the outside temperature is above 90 degrees. this makes it hard to get the car to act up with fall coming up. I told the dealer about the results others were having by resealing the windshield, but he said they haven't received any service bulletins on such a repair and that out of all the cars they have sold, I'm the first to have this problem. I'm with you, I need all the advice or help I can get. Keep us posted.
    I guess I'm so upset with the dealer my hands are shaking
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's review of the 2000 Buick LeSabre is now available. Here's the direct link: Road Test: 2000 Buick LeSabre, by Erin Mahoney. Let us know what you think.

;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • fastbuckfastbuck Member Posts: 11
    On a recent trip to Hawaii, we were "upgraded" to a LeSabre, that being the only vehicle left on the lot. My 13 year old son, who normally takes little notice of non-virtual reality, had an almost violent reaction to the thought of being seen in what he immediately termed "grandma's car," and proceeded to rant and rave whenever the unfortunate machine entered his field of vision. At one point I had to intervene to prevent our normally mild mannered youngster from physically attacking the Buick's rear section with his surfboard.
    I have to confess to ambivalence at his reaction to his father's almost- an -Oldsmobile. On the one hand, as an enthusiast, I was pleased to see him express an opinion of a car, even if it was bitterly negative. On the other, I have never met a car I didn't like, and assumed that junior would follow on in my Will Rogersish footsteps.
    But it appears that Fastbuck the younger isn't alone in his rejection of the domestically produced full size product. Only yesterday I rode shotgun with a 59 year old accountant who cursed and railed at the seemingly inoffensive Mercury Marquis that fate (and Hertz) had burdened him with. He'd requested a Volvo (I didn't know they even had them available), and his disappointment was visceral.
    What is it about these large, comfortable automobiles that so troubles so many? And who actually chooses to buy them, apart from purchasers of rental, police and taxi cab fleets?
    If the problem were merely dullness, certainly Mazdas and Toyotas would inspire equally strong reactions, yet they don't seem to. Likewise, it can't be generational, since my almost a senior colleague reacted identically to my just bearly a teen.
    Perhaps there's something deeper going on. Like all cars, both the Buick and the Mercury make statements about their drivers. I suppose that my son and my friend didn't like what the cars were saying about them. I suspect that neither would have been as bothered by a Chevrolet or a Cadillac; the problem had something to do with the rental cars' timid in-betweenness, their projection of some kind of whitebread middleclass
    comfortable domesticity. Neither cool enough for a surfer, nor refined enough for for a professional. If that's the case, then the designers at GM and Ford have some serious thinking to do if they want to maintain a future for their profitable midline dreamboats.
  • bruce227bruce227 Member Posts: 2
    I have a solution for you, it worked for me.

Call the owner of the dealership. I did, he called me back and I explained calmly what transpired and about Edmunds and offered to send him copies. He was honestly amazed at the info. on the internet. I did not send him anything I just reminded him of the catch 22 we are in and there seems to be a reasonable cure that is inexpensive to try.

he said he will have to speak to the service manager and he would call me back.

Two days later he called back and authorized the re-sealing of the windshield and apologized for the inconvenience.

Tell me what happens. The owner may not know what is happening and may not be happy when he finds out his service people are not being creative nor helpful. Tell me what happens.

thanks to all who helped me.

Brog227
  • jtxhjtxh Member Posts: 1
    In answer to the ruminations in post 243, let me offer the following. Some of us need a car with a trunk large enough to allow 4 or 5 people to take a trip and actually be able to carry luggage in the trunk. Some of us have elderly relatives that need the ease of ingress/egress that larger cars provide. I imagine that those who buy noncool cars such as Buicks have matured to the point that they no longer need an inanimate object to provide them with an identity. When you can get a large enough vehicle that will get 30mpg on the highway, you would be remiss to rule it out because of status issues. No, I don't drive a Lesabre, and I'm not sure that I ever will but they do have a place on the highway.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    FAstbuck - I'm a 45 yr old family man driving my 2nd Gand Marquis - buy em used and drive em till they drop - who contends they are the ultimte economy car (when true vehicle long-term cost is calculated) and make more sense to own than just about anything on the road. I drive about 25-30K hiway miles a year in the northeast. The comfort is fantastic - riding over hours of asphalt (hm - could make an interesting pun there!) and the gas mileage is the same on the newer models as a Camry or other small to midsized vanilla car. I would like to buy a newer car next yr and love the classy Infinity I-30 and the arguably sexier Maxima GLE, but remembering the last half dozen accidents I've seen along the way home, I think my enjoyable big car ride is probably cheap life insurance too.

We used the Grand Marquis for our primary family vehicle over the last 7 years and the addition of a used green Surburban to our driveway has certainly given us an alternative - but at 13 mpg for "Reptar" and uncertain future gas prices, it still makes sense for our 'second car' to be able to accomodate the family if/when needed. I'll probably buy another one - or maybe one of these 2000 blue hair LeSabres or maybe a Bonneville (smooth riding but sexier looking).

Just call me Tpke Ken - cruising in comfort.
  • stan13stan13 Member Posts: 14
    I'd like to know if anyone has done any upgrades to the sound system on the 2000 LeSabre. The Concert Hall II system is a terrible disappointment....lacking in stereo effect and it has irritatingly strident highs. I'd like to upgrade the speakers but don't ant to re-invent the wheel, so if anyone out there has made a measurable improvement to the poor sound in the LeSabre, I'd love to hear about what "fixes" did the magic.
  • roberthallroberthall Member Posts: 1
    Thanks, guys. I downloaded your kazoo comments, and my dealer accepted my diagnosis. Had the windshield resealed. Warranty. No sweat! Saved us a lot of searching. Local sheriff told me a dealer would be breaking the law to condone a 70 mph test in a 65 mph state. The dealer won't even let a mechanic ride in a car exceeding the speed limit. Sounds to me like that MA dealer didn't explain himself very well to his customer.
  • dponsdpons Member Posts: 3
    My experience with the Grand Touring option with Firestone Affinity tires is bad. The ride at first was firm but not too harsh, but after 1000 mi the ride is harsh with every small road imperfection felt. Also, there is a vibration at 70-75 mph felt in the steering wheel and front seat. I believe the problem is poor tires and lack of isolation between the suspension and driver. I wish I would have bought the standard suspension with the optional 16-inch wheels. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the GT option?
    Consumer Reports and a couple of car magazines said the Gran Touring package was jiggly. I have the 16 inch wheel option withoout GTP and it seems a little firmer than the 15" that were on the demo I first drove. But I'm very pleased with the ride. The tires are Generals and seem to do pretty well but when the time comes I'll probabally go to Bridgestone Re930's which the testers say are quiet and very capable. (and I might add, a whole chunk less than Michlins)
  • wpswwpsw Member Posts: 1
    There are several comments about the dreaded Kazoo sounds for 2000 LaSabre's. Has anyone had the problem with a 2001?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    What's the consensus from you LeSabre posters on the Custom's wheel treatment - I think they look out of place - some attempt to generate a retro/futuristic sort of impression. And are they covers or alloys? I don't have catalogue handy to check out but just saw another one - a silver Custom - up close and decided that I definitely don't like that particular wheel look.

Turnpike Ken
  • rhraaschrhraasch Member Posts: 9
    I recently bought a 2000 Buick LeSabre Custom which has Firestone 16" Affinity tires on it. I'm not having any problems and I'm totally satisfied with the car; however, in light of the Firestone tire recall I was curious if anyone has heard anything adverse about the Firestone Affinity tire.
  • tensortensor Member Posts: 25
    dpons: We have the GTP option and have the Firestone Affinity tires. We have almost 10K miles now, but we have not experienced any deterioration in ride. I will say, though, that the '00 LeSabre with GTP is much stiffer than the '93 LeSabre with GTP which is what we had before. The handling of the new LeSabre is much better than the last generation, but the ride is definitely harder.

tpken: I do not care for the art deco wheels either and that is an excellent description of them. Our cousin got them on her '00 (I do not think she thought twice about it), and they are alloys. When my folks were picking out their '00 I was happy when they said that they did not like them either (my dad hated them, my mom did not care).

The GTP wheels look nice, but they are what I call tooth brush wheels since you need one to clean out the brake dust.

rhraasch: I have not heard anything either about the Firestone Affinity tires. No problems with ours either.
  • nwalkernwalker Member Posts: 17
    I have owned my 2000 Limited with the Gran Touring Package for fifteen months. I have 14,000 miles on the car with no problems. I have had good experience with the Fireston Affinity tires. Just to be super safe, after the Ford/Firestone problems made headlines, I took my car in to the dealership. They assured me that the problems did not extend to the Affinity but they voluntarily put the car on a lift and went over the tires by hand. They found no indication that anything was amiss. I am satisfied with the tires and completely pleased with my Buick. I will likely buy another.