Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    I think it's a good idea for a prospective buyer of a new LeSabre to drive a new one with the grand touring suspension and also drive a standard version. The 2000 LeSabre's suspension has been "snugged up" quite a bit from previous year LeSabres. In fact the standard LeSabre is about as firm as the old GTP. Lots of folks don't like the 2000 LeSabre with the GTP because it is apparently "jiggly" at low speeds and the tires have noticeable pavement slap due to the firmer shocks. Drive it both ways first so you won't be unhappy. Another suggestion is the standard suspension with 16 inch alloy wheels and tires. Mine is set up that way and I'm very pleased with it.
  • dponsdpons Member Posts: 3
    (rhraasch): My 2000 Lesabre Custom with Grand Touring suspension has Firestone Affinity tires. The dealer found the two front tires out of round which they say is the cause of my vibration problems at speed. But I think there is more to the problem, because the vibration gets worse after time on the road, which implies the belts are shifting. The dealer said he could not offer me another brand of tire, I am stuck with the Firestones unless I want to buy something else at my expense. However, the same dealer told a fiend that was looking at a new Buick "he would not sell any Buicks with Firestone tires". If the replacement Firestones do not cure the vibration, I guess I will have to shell out another $500 for tires on my new car.
    (macarthur2): The "pavement slap" stems from insufficient rebound damping, which is the complaint I addressed earlier with my GT package. The rebound damping was OK for the first 1000 miles, but quickly decreased thereafter, due to poor quality shocks (typical GM). The GT package has firmer springs, and needs a better quality shock than used on the standard suspension, otherwise they will wear out fast.
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    Hi everyone ! I just turned 5000 miles on my 2000 LeSabre Limited and have not had any problems with it at all. I have the GTP with the Firestone Affinity tires and they are riding really well. I just want to thank everyone here at the site for all your comments about the car. I will definately buy another one in the future.
    The rumor in Detroit is that Ford will be dropping the entire Mercury line just like Dialmer-Chrysler has dropped Plymouth. It's a shame because the Grand Marquis was nice looking and good competitor for the LeSabre. Now all they will have is the uglyish Crown Victoria. I own a LeSabre, just thought you all might find this tid-bit interesting.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I understand Ford is dropping the Mercury name, but not discontinuing the Grand Marquis. I don't know what the GM will be called.
  • bthompbthomp Member Posts: 69
    the Mercury Marauder...and it will kick some butt!
  • bryangzbryangz Member Posts: 24
    After I steered them away from the Lesabre's with the white walls and dealer installed carriage roof, they decided they liked a sterling silver Custom model.
    It has the "tour edition" discount package which if I remember correctly, includes leather seats ,the gauge/driver information center and aluminum wheels. I was disappointed in a couple things: 1. no back seat armrest or head rests. 2. Automatic air conditioning is an option. 3. In general, at least to me, the Lesabre doesn't seem to take the bumps very well despite being built on a rigid platform. I realize the some of these things can be had with the Limited, but come on, no arm rest or head rests in the back seat? How cheap can you get?

On the other hand, I like its styling and the fact that it has side impact bags and that the 3800 V-6 is under the hood. Also, I made sure to take it on the highway to see if it had the kazoo sound, which it didn't.

Any other things I should consider or look for before we pick up the car Monday?

Thanks,

Bryan
  • debra31debra31 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone else is having as many
    problems with their Lesabre as I am. I have only had my 2000 Lesabre for a year now and the problems are mounting up. The air conditioner doesn't cool the car down and my drivers side window will not roll down. I've also noticed water in the passenger floor board after it rains.
    Could I have gotten a lemon??
  • debra31debra31 Member Posts: 2
    Also, could there be engine problems on the way. I have noticed that every once in a while it doesn't start on the first try. Should I just take it as a loss and find something different. The dealer seems helpful enough, but I don't want to take any chance on major auto trouble down the line.
    Hasn't the dealer fixed these problems? Air conditioning, most likely has a coolant leak and needs to be recharged, but in the past I have seen cars that have been overcharged and that can also cause an inability to cool.

As far as water leaking into the cabin, it could be a myriad of things: 1. Improperly sealed windshield. 2. Leaves blocking the air conditioning drain (check up by the windshield wipers) 3. Improper body weld.

All cars sometimes fail to start on the first start. Sometimes just adding fuel injector cleaner can solve such problems. If it continues though, have it checked.

Bryan
  • cid2cid2 Member Posts: 2
    LeSabre should be called "LifeSaver". It saved my Mom's life in a horrible collision! My Mom was driving the speed limit in a 35MPH zone and was hit head-on & on the driver's side by an oncoming Porsche 911 cruising out of control at 82MPH! Luckily, she was wearing a seat belt and the LeSabre's side & front airbags inflated. Although it took 2 hours & the Jaws of Life to remove her, she is alive and well today (although she has major aches & pains). I'm absolutely certain that she survived because she was driving her 1999 Le Sabre. Buick would be wise calling the car, "LifeSaver" instead of LeSabre. It's a wonderfully safe car; my parents replaced the totalled one with another brand new LifeSaver. Thanks, Buick, for saving my Mom's life!
  • cid2cid2 Member Posts: 2
    LeSabre should be called "LifeSaver". It saved my Mom's life in a horrible collision! My Mom was driving the speed limit in a 35MPH zone and was hit head-on & on the driver's side by an oncoming Porsche 911 cruising out of control at 82MPH! Luckily, she was wearing a seat belt and the LeSabre's side & front airbags inflated. Although it took 2 hours & the Jaws of Life to remove her, she is alive and well today (although she has major aches & pains). I'm absolutely certain that she survived because she was driving her 1999 Le Sabre. Buick would be wise calling the car, "LifeSaver" instead of LeSabre. It's a wonderfully safe car; my parents replaced the totalled one with another brand new LifeSaver. Thanks, Buick, for saving my Mom's life!
  • lt1transamlt1transam Member Posts: 1
    My parents' 2000 Buick LeSabre has been stalling
    intermittently at low speeds and stop lights. The
    car currently only has 5000 miles and this is the
    second round of engine stalls. The earlier engine
    stalls occurred in Feb and March and were caused by a bad alternator, not charging properly at low
    RPM. The problem went away for a few months, but
    now it's back. And I doubted this time is the
    alternator.

In city traffic, the car would idle erratically in
    drive at stops, even though it does not have a
    tachometer, I could hear the engine revved up and
    down, struggling, then stalled. In lots of cases,
    I attempted to shift the gear to neutral, trying to relieve the engine / transmission load, but this did not help, the engine died still. I noticed that this problem manifests more in warmer
    climate than cold.

This problem had been looked at 5 times at 2 different dealerships but dealers were saying the
    car was operating within spec. no fixes were
    performed. When I went to the dealer who sold me
    the car the other day, insisting on invoking the
    NJ Lemon Law, the latest excuse I got was " The
    car is designed to use REGULAR 87 octane gas and I
    had been using SUPER 93 octane gas. " The manual
    indicated the car needs 87 octane or higher???
    " Give Regular gas a try " was the latest solution
    I got.

I was incredulous about his answer. Nevertheless to be reasonable, I told the service manager that I will try it, but I am bringing the car back if this does not solve the engine stalls. To make this official, I called Buick Customer Service to
    log this entry. So they are not going to beat around the bush any longer.

I need to know that if there is any owners out there using Super 93 gas for their 2000 LeSabres
    and if they encounter any engine stalls? Please
    respond so I can make a good decision on what to do next
    you should have punched the service manager right in the mouth and then go onto explain how that is just normal social interaction among people. What a joke. Adding 93 premium to the 3.8 doesn't help it any (unless it has extra detergents in it), but it will not cause the stalling you described. I had a 3800 in my 96 LSS and never had a problem with it. This is definitely not the norm. On the other hand, I have read in the past that some 3.8s did have a stalling problem. Might want to peruse the maintenance board to see if you can find any posts about that. Or see if you can find any techincal bulletins on the 3800 at this site <<A HREF="http://www.alldata.com/">http://www.alldata.com/&gt;

Good luck,
    Bryan
  • wildcats1wildcats1 Member Posts: 1
    Will a bumper from a 1993 Buick Lesabre Custom fit a 1992 Buick Lesabre Custom. Someone told me the only difference is the molding. On my 1992 I have a rubber molding with a chrome strip. I there a differnce in the moldings from 1992 to 1993...
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I almost bought a 2000 LeSabre, but instead bought a 2000 Grand Marquis. I've got 24,000 miles on my GM with no problems. Based on the comments here versus the GM town hall, I made the right decision.
    same here. 42K. No problems.
    I tried both of these cars and the LeSabre, in my opinion, came out the winner. Drove both on three different occasions, back to back. LeSabre has better ride, accelerates just as well, has better cruddy weather traction handles better. And by the way it gets 31mpg on the highway at 75mph (legal here on turnpikes). After 8,800 miles absolutely no noises, kazoos, battery or any other problems. Since I do my own oil and filter changes it has never been back to the dealer. The Grand Marquis is huge physically but if you will find a consumer report you will find the interior dimensions are within a tenth inch of being the exactly same (Quite an achievement since the Buick is 13"shorter and 4" narrower.) So the trunk is 2 cubic feet smaller, at least it has a flat floor instead of a gaping hole that use to hold the spare tire. It's personal taste but I did my homework, and the test drives, and bougth the one that I liked best, the LeSabre---no complaints, not one!
  • dog738dog738 Member Posts: 1
    My new Buick uses about 1/2 quart of oil every 1200 miles. I had and Oldsmobile with the same engine for 7 years and it used no oil. The Buick dealer told me it could use up to 1-1/2 quarts every 3000 miles and this was okay. Does anyone else have this problem?
    That's great Mc2. I have 43K miles with no problems of hard driving and you have 8K miles with conservative (self admitted middle name)driving. That also explains your always quoted "31mpg". Your quote "LeSabre has better ride, accelerates just as well, has better cruddy weather traction handles better" RWD with snow tires and traction control is equal to any FWD. The RWD also gives much better handling in dry, repeat after me 50/50 weight distribution. You can push a CV harder in a turn, you have a better chance of recovering from going too fast in a turn, and you have a chance of recovering on ice (not with FWD). I'd gladly trade a few mpg for that alone. Ride quality is a personal issue. Maybe you like soft n' squishy. If you are trying to say that the ride on the LS is harder then a stock CV/GM..yes it probably is. That's because of all that weight the LS has up front. Easily recitified on the CV by changing the shocks. Did you ever drive the performance and handling package CV? You never did answer that question on the CV board.
    That some folks don't want handling packages, and that some folks don't push it in curves and actually drive so as to prevent skids? Auto mags disagree wholely with your suggestion that RWD even with traction control is the equivalent of FWD in rain/snow/mud etc.. Read my lips, "I don't want no stinking handling package". Actually your trading about 5mpg and that is nothing to snicker at these days.
  • bbg1bbg1 Member Posts: 1
    Since purchase, it seems to have a speed of its own. I find myself having to almost stomp on the gas pedal (which, itself, doesn't work that well).
    I phrase it as 'COASTABILITY.' Do any 99 owners experience this?
    Most of the newer cars with the four speed auto coast when you let off the gas. There isn't much compression braking in them like we use to get. But the 3800 V6 is pretty quick and you surely should not have to stomp on the gas. Have the dealer check out the linkage, it may be binding on the air cleaner or somewhere in that region.
  • 2659926599 Member Posts: 2
    My wife bought a 2000 Limited demo, loaded, leather, all automatic, gauges, everything but the silly OnStar and handling package and we are absolutely delighted. First off, the dealer knocked about 5G off the sticker. Then there was the GM card, trade-in, AARP, manufacturer's rebate and God-knows-what-else. Bottom line: under $15,000 for what we view as a luxury car that nobody thinks of as a luxury car. Insurance is under $800 a year, and this in the D.C. suburbs where rates can be high. Car runs, operates like a dream. No kazoo, no dead batteries, no thumping, no nothing. This morning is was cold and there was the automatic "tire low pressure" indicator reminding to add a few pounds of pressure. I'm 6-foot-5 and wear a hat and I never have to even duck getting in and out. The automatic climate control is a dream. Plus the car runs like a bat out of ... you know where. The trunk is as nearly as spacious as my '94 Grand Marquis, which basically holds the state of Rhode Island. I don't do public relations for GM Corp., but I would if all their products were like this LeSabre. My father-in-law, upon seeing the deal we got, went out and bought a nearly identical LeSabre. We also own a third car--a 1984 LeSabre, 165,000 miles, never uses oil, nothing major ever gone wrong. GM Corp. may have built some dogs, but nobody let those dogs out in my driveway. This is one creampuff of a model.
  • danielj3danielj3 Member Posts: 19
    I thought I was seeing double but realized that you did write the same post twice :))

How many miles did the Le Sabre have upon delivery? You got a truly impressive deal. I feel
    like going to a Buick dealer and trade my 2000
    Mercury Sable wagon for a Buick and the Ill write
    Ford to tell them about it. Customer Service and
    the dealer treated me very poorly.
  • 2659926599 Member Posts: 2
    This creampuff had just under 5,900 miles at the time of purchase. What was great is full warranty, all rebates (including the GM card, which is not allowed on "program" cars but is allowed on demos) was included. Dealer was super, the best I ever dealt with lifetime. Would highly recommend Covington Buick, Silver Spring, Md., just outside Washington, D.C.
    Though I LOVE my 2000 LeSabre there are a few design items that I have minor gripes about. The front cupholder(s) built into the armrest will not let you carry big cups of coffee or soft drinks. And if you and a passenger in the front seat have cups with handles (travel mugs) they will both not fit in the holder at the same time. Small styrofoam cups and some medium styrofoam cups are okay.
    I am disappointed that an automobile in this price range, 27k, does not have a rear fold down armrest (yes I could have gone 3k more and bought the limited). but this is a custom with leather and the Prestige Package.
    I sat in the back seat last week for the first time and the cushions have no support, just mush.
    Not trying to be negative, these are minor things, I have owned the car since Jan and have been in the back seat once. But the cupholder needs to be redesigned.
    9700 miles, gets 22-23 rural/city and a serious 31 mpg on the interstate at 70+. Like many Buick owners I consider myself to be a careful driver who maintains the car well. The 3800 V6 has very good power and is reasonalbly quiet. I have the optional 16" tires without the handling package. I would recommend the car over the Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. J.D. Power rates it WAY higher than either of the Ford products.
  • carhuntingcarhunting Member Posts: 2
    i'm ready to dump my 92 ford (gonna donate it for the tax write off because i wouldn't sell it to my worst enemy) Taurus. a friend of mine has a 93 lesabe custom with 50000 miles, mint, fully loaded except for cd and moon roof...anyone who can shed light on this year would be great to hear from..also, they want 7,000 for the car...blue book is 6500 for trade and about 8 for dealer price...what should i pay? i know dealers rarely give blue book value....thanks in advance
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    If the friend is a friend, and you like the car, pay his price :)

If the car doesn't check out, don't let that destroy your friendship.

What is more valuable, a friendship or saving a grand on a car?

If the money is more important, then buy a car from a stranger.

My opinion, YMMV.

TB
  • carhuntingcarhunting Member Posts: 2
    I'd never lose a friend over a grand..i was just curious what the car is really worth....as a real friend, he shouldn't ask me for more than it's worth anyway....thanks again for the response

btw..what's ymmv?

dave
    Your Mileage May Vary

TB
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Thats not a real good price for a 93 but if u decide to buy it check it over carefully. I own a 93lesabre and its been a good car but i started having things go wrong at the milage ur talking about (50000).Things like the water pump, transmission cooling lines to radiator (mine sprung a leak and almost ruined transmission when i lost fluid), alternator, cooler for power steering and rack and pinion which is under car, is in area where it rusts bad, are all things u gotta check out. Also check door locks and all the electronics.They r real expensive to fix. I had part called control head, its the buttons for the defrost,heater, air conditioner etc., go bad and it cost $850 to replace. Keep in mind that the control head can be part that is hard to check cause it can go bad gradually.Also if ur in rust belt (like i am)check car underneath and have mechanic check front struts.Personally i wouldnt get car unless he showed he has fixed some of items mentioned or unless he lowered price $1500 or so to cover ur anticipated expenses. good luck ED
  • rzeparzepa Member Posts: 1
    I am slowly looking for a new LaSabre. Here
    in the SW burbs of Chicago, the 2001 Custom
    with SD package goes for ~26K. What is the
    reasonble amount I should be able to get the
    car for ?
  • datarrdatarr Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2000 LeSabre for 18 months now, a Custom, fully loaded with leather and touring package. I love the way the car drives and I use it in Southwest PA winters, but,, and this is a biggy to me,, I am by far the youngest person I see driving this car. I have a minivan, but got tired of being the driving mom and got the LeSabre, anyone else out there under the age of 60 driving this car with a family?? I take it to the ball field and school functions and am surrounded by minivans, so I can easily locate my vehicle. Just wondering?? Plus, does anyone else think the dashboard looks a litte cheap for a 26K vehicle?
  • tigercat21tigercat21 Member Posts: 28
    yea i c younger people driving lesabres. Infact a lady had her's for sale and her son who was in college begged her for it. He had a preppy type jeep at the time too, so it wasn't like he was desparate for wheels.I like the dash on my lasarbe, to me the simpler the better. Electronic dashes can be very troublesome.All in all though if I like a car I could care less what anyone else thinks of it but theres certainly nothing to be ashamed of in the styling of the lesabre.
  • datarrdatarr Member Posts: 2
    It's not that I don't like the styling, I wouldn't buy a car for that money if I didn't like the way it looks. I just remember my salesperson being surprised that I wanted to look at LeSabres and not the Regal. He even told me that I am by the far the youngest person he has sold a lesabre to in recent memory. But, I went ahead and bought it anyway, I figure mine gets the best workout of the group it left the factory with, It maybe a family sedan, but it does handle well and I like to drive it on highways and see how the touring package reacts to the twists and turns on the PA turnpike.
    Well its good u didnt let salesman influence u. Its hard to say what his agenda was maybe an excess inventory of Regals or better incentive payback on that model but they do try to stear customers to certain models by saying subtle things like he said to u. One of the best things i like about mine is the gas milage.
    U mentioning the pa turnpike brings back memories of when we'd drive to atlantic city, there was always construction along it but I liked the way they had emergency phones every mile.Nothing like that on roads around me here in n y.
    Depending on how you optioned the car there are a couple of ways the dash can look. Mine has the Tachometer and speedometer and looks very nice. The odometer, oil pressure, tire pressure, engine temp and water temp and battery charge rate are all computerized.
    RZEPA here in the OKC area you can almost always find a dealer offering 3k off his on the lot LeSabres. That actually comes in under dealer list (but of course we know they get factory incentives). I like the car very much except for what I mentioned in #289 above.
    know if starter motor is hard to change? My 93Lesabre is occassionally buzzing instead of engaging starter so i figure solenoid is going and i will have to pull starter out.I was wondering if its easy to reach or if manifold or something is in the way? (Its 10 degrees outside and i dont want to go under car right now). Also any ideas on whether this is something that will gradually get worse or will it all of a sudden leave me stranded?
  • dcox87dcox87 Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of identifying a used sedan for purchase this spring. I am looking in the used market and wish to spend no more than 15K. Would anyone recommend a Lesabre around 3to 4 years old as a good used purchase?? I would like to get something with about 50 - 60K miles with the intent of keeping it until its done!
  • mo_womanmo_woman Member Posts: 1
    What is a GM card? And how does it work with
    saving you money on a new car?

Thanks
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The "GM Card" is a regular Co-branded Mastercard credit card managed by Household Bank, NA. The GM Mastercard and rewards program was recently overhauled to attract potential GM customers. The card is offered as a regular and Platinum Mastercard. GM awards the consumer with a 5% rebate on every single purchase charged to the account towards the purchase or lease of any new and unused (Or unregistered GM demo vehicle) GM Car or Truck with the exception of Saturns, Saabs, EV1 electric vehicles and in some instances the Corvette models. Obviously, the more you spend, the more 5% rebate points you accrue in your account. Under the provisions of the new GM Mastercard accounts, there is no limit cap as to how much you can accumulate during the year. You can accrue as many points as you like and these are valid for up to 7 years, provided that you don't default or close your credit card account. However, GM also sets limits as to how many "points" you can redeem on the cars and trucks allowed under the incentive program. For instance, if you want a Chevy Impala, you can only redeem a maximum of $2,000 points towards the purchase/lease of that model. You can also combine your earnings with other incentives (Rebates/special financing) offered at the time of purchase as well. The new GM Card also allows you to redeem your points on selected Non-vehicle purchases as well. There is no annual fee for the card and credit limits are often generous but they depend mainly on your credit worthiness. I bought my new '00 Chevy Impala LS using some of the points that I had accrued in my card. Is really neat and one of the best deals in Co-branded credit cards provided that you want to buy/lease a GM product. My wife and I make all of our purchases using our Platinum GM Mastercard and we are currently accruing an average of $100.00 per month on earnings....for sure her next car will be a GM product.

Also, on new model year introductions, the GM card guarantees that you can apply a minimum of $1,000 points towards the purchase of this new model of car/truck..not bad at all.

Read all about it at:

www.gmcard.com

Hope this helps. ;-)
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    I will have to check into that as I am wanting to get a new LeSabre end of year of 2001.
  • nwalkernwalker Member Posts: 17
    WOW! That was an authoritative response you received to your question concerning the GM Card.
    I wish I had said that. I do want to add this from my personal experience. I have carried the GM Card for eight years. I pay off the balance at the end of every month. If you don't do that (as with any credit card) you are fooling yourself when it comes to "earnings." The company has been great. I have never found an error in their accounting. I have had no problems and I would recommend the card to you. As indicated by teo, the rules have recently changed. With the "new" GM Card your earnings are unlimited but the amount you can apply is limited. With the old card you could earn up to $500 yearly, or, for a while, up to $1000 yearly if you carried the GM Gold Card. I did. When I got ready to purchase my new car, I got the best deal I could get on my new 2000 Le Sabre Limited. After those terms were set, we then subtracted my GM Card earnings off the purchase price. They were worth $5,273. No doubt someone, somewhere did even better than that. It would be interesting to hear from them in this forum.
    I payoff my balance every month. I never acrue any interest on my credit cards as I never ever have balances on any of them ;-)
    The new method of accruing unlimited "5%" earnings on a yearly basis and aplying those points towards a new car with a set cap amount, than waiting 5 to 7 years to accumulate a significant amount of earnings under the old "Blue" GM card $500 per year cap program guidelines. With the new GM card you can accumulate points and buy your car faster than ever before.
  • tadychtadych Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 LeSabre Limited loaded in my driveway on a test. I find a lot of glare in the drivers outside mirror and side window. It comes from the left side of the instrument panel. I wonder if there is a fix for this. Turning down the interior lights also stops the reflection but makes seeing the dash lights hard.
    Clark clarkjudy@hitter,net
    Just took my 13+ year old LeSabre from St. Louis, to DC in a 14 driving marathon.

The formerly light blue car is now road salt grey!

What can I tell you about snow removal.

1. Illinois -- Fair
    2. Indiana -- Poor
    3. Kentucky -- Good
    4. West Virginia -- Excellent
    5. Virginia -- No snow observed.

Cheers,

TB
  • indrekindrek Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2001 Le Sabre Limited last week, and in general I am very pleased with it.

One problem that I have not been able to figure out concerns the door locks. When I start the car in the morning and get out to clean snow and ice off the windows, the doors automatically lock after a short time. The first time it did this, I had to use the spare keys from my wife's fob. After that I used the valet key that I keep separately from the regular key. It's a nuisance.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to prevent the doors locking like this?

Thanks,

Indrek Aavisto
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    Your Lesabre locks automatically because you unlocked it with the remote keyless entry. This is standard on most autos. When not driven the doors re lock. Check your owners manual under remote keyless entry or power door locks. Next time, unlock with the key in door. Merry Christmas!!