Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    on your 00?

The transmission may be having a problem with the lockup control valve in its bore. I thought that was a 95-99 problem, though.

It would be worth changing the fluid if it hasn't been. (Should have been!) Mine started at 65 K in a 98. There is a replacement valve if that's the problem with a new liner for the bore in the control valve body. Getting it replaced by dealer was moderately expensive. I haven't checked at local trans quality repair shop. Will do that in a week or two when I have time.

The trans occasionally feels like a miss in engine. It shows up sometimes or not when shifting between 3rd and 4th where the torque converter clutch is locked up. That valve modulates the slip in the torque converter giving a smooth release and reengagement when shifting.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I second imidazol97. Get the tranny flushed and see if that makes it better, sometimes that's all it needs. If not, then start thinking long and hard about sinking money into transmission repairs versus those low interest rates on a new car. I just bit the bullet and got a new Avalanche to replace my Tahoe. The Tahoe is great, only 63K miles but there is a small leak coming from the front of the tranny. AAMCO pulled it out and replaced the front seal, now it is leaking less but still a few drops here and there. Also, there is now a very subtle shudder when accelerating from a full stop. I just worry that every time they pull the tranny that something else will get messed up. That and the high labor costs, since it takes over seven hours just to pull the tranny out and put it back.

Good luck!
    Not to dispute your experience about pulling the trans,
    but the service manager at the dealer said the Buick trans can have the valve body removed by partly taking things apart. Not cheap, not easy, but not a full removal.
    I'm anxious to see what the local individual reputable trans repairman says when I stop in a couple weeks from now.\

And this is something they can diagnose driving the car with a Tech II attached or whatever it is...

• giants515giants515 Member Posts: 5
    Big thanks, imidazol and mlm, for useful info and suggestions about the trans in my 00 Lesabre.

Miles 65K. Flush, with new filter and gasket, at 60K. Roadtest with trans service shown as "OK" on invoice at 60K service, but suspect test didn't get up to 45-50 mph where prob occurs (dealer is in district of city with speed limits at 30 or 35). No probs at all below 45 mph. Bought car at 30K, so I don't know if the flush at 60K was first one in car's history. Worth flushing again?

A bit more detail.

(1) Prob with uncertain shifts at 45-50 mph on slight upgrade without accel was minor but real at 30K. At 35K, as warranty was about to expire, had prob checked by GM dealer who sold me the car. No codes, and without codes, dealer didn't roadtest car. Realize I probably should have insisted. But at least my questioning the trans is on their records.

(2) Prob has worsened slowly across the 35K I've owned car, and wasn't improved at all by flush/filter/gasket at 60K. But I'd be happy to try f/f/g again again if it makes sense.

Again, many thanks for your comments.

giants515
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A newspaper reporter aims to interview people who are dealing with vehicle recalls, especially of GM products, such as the recent problems with the back gate on the pickups. Please send your daytime contact info to farataye@yahoo.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2004. Thanks, Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that a full removal was required to get to the valves. I think they can just remove the oil pan and go into the case from below. I doubt another flush will help if one was recently done. Hopefully they really did the flush and not just change the fluid because only about half of the fluid comes out when the tranny is drained.
  • giants515giants515 Member Posts: 5
    The receipt shows "flush." Will ask the service manager what's meant. Again, I appreciate the reply and info. Learning a lot from this.

giants515
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    when is the LeSabre going to be replaced of redesigned? It must be soon with all of the new vehicles that have joined Buick.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The LeSabre will be redesigned for 2006 and will be renamed Lucerne.
    the coming LeSabre style?

would that be the 2006 model year or in 2 years 2006?
    i posted this in the Park Avenue board, but it doesn't seem like anyone has been there in a month. So I will ask here. If the LeSabre is 06, when is the Park Avenue?
    ryanfiala81
    Have you gotten the belt changed yet?
    My dealer did it for me ($17) by jacking up the front of the car slight and turning the right front wheel and worked from the wheel well to remove the bolt which lets the spacer drop free and you can change the belt through there. Apparently the bolt can go back through the mount and the spacer without the engine dropping enough or twisting to prevent a linear fit.

I'd have a long piece of wood and an extra jack to lift slightly on a strong part of the engine to help the bolt fit it IF that occured.

I'm about ready to change mine again at 105K. I'll let you know if it worked.

The manual says you have to lift the engine with the upper mounts to take weight off the mount. A local car radio mechanic said to put a jack and piece of wood UNDER the oil pan -- NOT FOR ME. the manual warns about not lifting under the oil pan. Can damage oil intake.

ryanfiala81

I see that you posted in December about a hard start problem.
    Did you fix that? Was it a weak fuel pump from running empty or low fuel too many times with the previous owners? Was it pressure valve not retaining pressure when turned off?
    Try turning the key to on and then back off then to on three times to build up pressure to see if it's weak fuel pressure after sitting.

Code for lean fuel probably isn't oxygen sensor. There's something else making the engine Need lots of fuel and the system isn't supplying it therefore a signal that there's not enough fuel. Look for bad temp sensor telling computer that engine is colder than it really is, e.g.

Maybe ALcan on here has an idea of what goes wrong with that particular year.

Cincy radio mechanic just discussed yesterday that there's no code that says oxygen sensor is bad. He defied any (name of store that does free readouts and saleclerks tell people it's the oxygen sensor) people to show him one. He'd bring his books to their store if they thought they could.
    He says it's usually another sensor/engine problem. This guy is good. I trust him.

• ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    My understanding is that the Park Avenue will be dropped after 2005. The lower level Lucerne will replace the LeSabre, and the higher level Lucerne, probably with a Northstar V8, will replace the Park Avenue. The cars will debut for the 2006 model year, so they will be here in about 18 months. I am not an insider, this is just what I have picked up from reading Automotive News and reading what some industry insiders have said at other boards.
    alright, thanks!
  • ryanfiala81ryanfiala81 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the input, imidazol97. The car starts pretty well now, thanks to having had the intake plennum and fuel pressure regulator (I think that's the part that sits under the plennum) replaced at a steep cost. I still get that check engine light. It'll come on at idle every few weeks (the car only throws this code every now and then), and stick around usually until the next time I start the car up. I'll look into changing that temp sensor if I can locate it. I can probably pull off that serpentine replacement with a friend with your advice. Thanks for your input, and feel free to post any additional suggestions that come to mind. If there's any message boards that you know your guy ALcan posts on, let me know and I'll see what he has to say.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    alcan hangs out on our Maintenance and Repair board. Look for an appropriate discussion, or just post in the "Got a Quick Technical Question?" discussion. Keep us posted here, also. :)
    Ryanfiala is the light steady or flashing?
    IF it's steady, it's emissions related. Possibly a bad seal on the gas cap if it goes on and off. Try putting some petroleum jelly on the gas cap rubber seal. Then when you drive the car and it's only luke warm and it's restarted, it goes through a pressure checking cycle. If it finds the system holds vacuum well enough then the light goes off.

• vet5vet5 Member Posts: 9
    The cruise control on my 2003 LeSabre seems to "get tired". Locked on at 75 MPH, after a while (45 minutes or so) cranks down 3 or 4 MPH and sits there instead. It doesn't happen every time the cruise is on. Car has 13,000 miles on it, otherwise great, no vibrations in 16 inch Mich. tires, etc. Any comments on the cruise control? (Headed to dealer under warranty for a peak - the dealer here is SUPER). Thanks.
  • isom1isom1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 LeSabre and am having trouble with the way it handles, particularly on windy days and on the freeway when I pass large trucks. The steering seems unstable and I have to constantly move the wheel to hold the car in the road. It feels as if it is too loose, but then I'm told it may be the tires. The set that came with it is new, of course. Has anyone had similar problems?
    I had an older LeSabre and loved the way it handled.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Try having it aligned. I have heard if there is too much toe in or out, it will make the car squirrely. Also, check to see if you have 30 pounds of pressure in all tires. I bet yours could be over-inflated. Many folks mistakenly air up to 35 because it it written on the tire as maximum. I do not have a problem at all with the way mine drives when it is windy. It also has good on center feel and does not drift around.
    Which tires do y ou have? General on 15 inch wheels or Michelin on 16 inch wheels? The alignment is important. Mine has slightly more wind movement after if was correctly aligned to try to eliminate the wheel vibration.

The tire pressure DOES make a difference, too.
    Go to 30 and see how you like it.

The car has the large, slab sides compared to my 98 LeSabre, therefore it has more wind pressure affecting the driving.

LeSabre related postings here.
    Is anyone reading in this discussion????

• mariannesammariannesam Member Posts: 21
    Dose anyone know why our 2003 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration Ed keeps on blowing digital AC/Heater Control, Head Up Display, and seat heater ckt fuse IGN 3 located under rear seat? Blows when trying to start car with AC/Heater set on Auto. Dealer has it a third time now. Second time, said brown wire under seat to heater was shorting out on cushion coil so they rerouted wire. Still have problem. Thanks.
  • mutmut Member Posts: 2
    I am also having problems with my 2003 LeSabre being very unstable at 70 mph, especially on a windy day. Have had the dealer align it twice and an independent garage once. All say is is lined up according to specs. Normally run the tires at 30 psi, have tried 35 with no change. Did the day in the saddle with the tech rep, whose main effort was to convince me that i'm too sensitive. This is my third Le Sabre with no problems with the first two. An experienced mechanic suggested I get rid of the General tires and put on Michelain tires, thinking the sidewalls were too flexible. If you push against the rear side of the car you can easily get the car swaying and it's just the tires flexing. The car does not have a rear sway bar. The car goes straight down the road, with no tendancy to pull left or right. It just seems that as you approach 70-75mph it gets very unstable, easily disturbed by crosswind or turbulence behind a large truck. If anyone has any ideas I would sure appreciate hearing them, I don't want to badmouth the car, I just want to fix it. Thanks.
    If you are shopping for tires, get the Tire Rack folks involved. Spend time on their website. There is a questionaire about what you are looking for in a tire (noise, ride, handling etc.)
    Then maybe call and get their opinion on your choices.
    If not, I can tell you, as in a previous post, I really don't think mine is abnormal. You have to correct some, and you have to correct more than my more aerodynamic Monte Carlo. But I think it is about par for a car of this type. We used to have a 95 Olds 98 which you had to correct a little less. I just think the newer Buick is a little more slab sided.
    I'd stick with Michelin for the tires that roll round under load. The H chassis has sensitivity to unevenness in tires and if the tires check with too much unevenness when rolling on the Hunter 9700 -- they replace them with Michelin Symmetry tires.

The people writing on that online store tend toward performance cars and the customer reviews..., who knows what they look for.
    You're looking for a quality tire for travel and around town, not for hard driving or hot rodding.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can also check with the Town Hall's very own Tire Rack rep in this discussion: Ask Connor at the Tire Rack
    I love michelins. However, I was suprised to read all the negative comments at Tire Rack on the Synmmetry from folks who have Honda vans and other non-sporty cars. I have X=1s on my Monte. You can't beat them for smoothness.
    I would consider the Harmony, even though the name sounds dorky.
    That odd rating by eclectic people who happened to allegedly write reviews of certain tire is what I was talking about. It doesn't match what I get from friends and my dealer about Michelin Symmetry. The symmetrys were used on the big Town Cars and Sevilles. Bad tire???--I think NOT. The people buying Odysseys may have come from a different background of how they drove and what they owned before so they expect some thing different. Maybe the Oddysey is so margin that the tires aren't sufficient for it.

I also have X-Ones on my 98 LeSabre. They have worn nicely. They are quiet except on concrete, textures overpasses. I find my Symmetry tires also tend to talk when they hit the same interstate overpasses in the city.

If I were replacing my tires, I'd get the Microedge or the Harmony by Michelin. I'd probably go for the Microedge because the tires area long time purchase. A little more paid for top of the line tires (the X-Ones were top of the line when I bought them) costs little per year extra. It's worth not having the aggravation of fast wear or noisy treads. I've had General, Goodyear, Firestone, etc. I'll stick with Michelin when my tires wear out. Sears also has some Michelin tires with different treads and so do some of the big box cost-cutter stores. By matching up with infor on Michelins website about their tires, you can equate theirs to curren t or past Michelin tires. If I could just put X-Ones from Costco or Sams, I would do that.

I was considering the Symmetry for the Lesabre also. I had time to monitor two cars of my family with these (Town Car, Impala), both driven gently. These tires were rotated on schedule and the cars were aligned. The ones on the TC lasted until 32K and the Impala's to 45K. They kept their balance, but looked bad toward the end.
    The driver of the Town Car owns a tire store and was disappointed in the mileage. He also reported a noticeable degradation in wet weather braking.

I do think that most any new tire will make a huge difference in the feel of the car. Since the feel deteriorates slowly, the cheapest tire replacing a worn out expensive tire will feel better.
  • hagrawalhagrawal Member Posts: 20
    We had wind gust caused stability problem in our 2003 Le Sabre Limited and it was resolved when the passanger side rear door was properly reinstalled.

Perhaps you should check the wind lekage from doors.
  • jf2jf2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about purchasing a 97 LeSabre
    It has 86k, in nice shape
    Fuel gauge doesn't work
    Runs fine on test run
    The owner wants $4200 for it
    Anything I should be inspecting more closely
    on this model ?
    Is the 3.8 a good engine ?
    Any response appreciated and helpful
    Thanks
    Intake manifolds warp and seep around edges requiring replacement. Sometimes the leakage goes inside the intake and puts coolant into the engine. The EGR tube through the plast intake manifold to feed exhaust right behind the air intake can cause the plastic of the intake manifold to deteriorate and allow seepage of coolant from the channels around the air intake (the coolant warms the incoming air in cold weather).

The transmissions have a problem with the control valve for the lockup torque converter wearing the channel where it moves back and forth in the valve body. The lockup begins to fluctuate. The Torque Convert Clutch has a slip capability in it to cushion the roughness from the engine that would be felt if it locked up completely like the early 93? versions of the trans did.

• jf2jf2 Member Posts: 4
    Which mid to late 90s Buick should I be looking
    to purchase ?
     I drove an 87 Century till the arm holding the back axle tore off the body. Maybe the slightly
    over sized tire I put on that side had something to do with that.
    I'd like some info on a good model mid to late 90s
    I'd like to stay with Buick
    Any info appreciated and helpful
    Thanks
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hello, I know this discussion is for the LeSabre, but it seems to be more active than the Park Avenue discussion, and I know that the LeSabre and P.A. are quite similar. My parents (late 50s) are considering a '99 Ultra, but, Dad also likes the LeSabres (2000+), and could probably go either way. Any problems known with the 99+ Park Avenues and 2000+ LeSabres? To my knowledge they are pretty reliable vehicles. The car they are replacing is a '93 Bonneville SSEi with 120k on it. Dad also has a '98 Grand Prix, and even though he vowed to never own another GM vehicle after the unpleasant experience with the Bonnie, he really liked where GM went after that. Any info is appreciated! You can also read my post on the Park Avenue discussion.
    Thanks!
    idntnvu
    The only major update is that a recall replaced the air intake plate bolts where it bolts to the air intake manifold and put in sealant int he coolant--that's all been taken care of by a recall (already done to my 03 LeSabre).

The wheels and tires on certain cars have had a tendency to set up vibrations at certain speeds in the car. If he's buying used car, he can drive each and see if it has a tendency to vibrate at 65 or so -- it's just like an unbalanced tire. Certain tires and brands from the factory had the stiffness that would interact with the frame. 16inch tires did it more. Requires troubleshooting the tires using a Hunter 9700 Road Force wheel balancer to test the uneveness in the rolling of the tire which causes the up and down spring just like wheel balance would. Mine is fixed after the wheel balancer by the dealer.

Other than that the difference is in 1.5 inches more legroom in the back (our son uses the back) and a few hundred pounds more weight and 5 inches total length (part of which is the bumpers protruding more. The seat backs on the front are slightly thicker on Park Avenues I compared. The rear seats have a cigarette lights in each door and a cubbyhole int he center armrest that's the pass through to the trunk. The strut valving is softer in the Park Avenue, changing the ride slightly. I think the LeSabre 03 with Michelins drove more nimbly. I ended up buying the LeSabre instead of the Park Avenue in Dec. 03. Saved $8000 and have a slightly less prestigious car that drives great at 80 and gets 35 mpg on interstate at 65 with air on trips -- like this week. Great car whichever he likes.

He also might want to check a used Aurora. There are great bargains there for the same, more or less, chassis as Lesabre, Bonneville, Park Ave, Deville, STS, and Aurora. Our friends (GM employees) had one of the last model year Auroras and loved it. He got a Grand Prix Anniversary model to replace it just cause he used to have Grand Prix when he was younger.

• tale47tale47 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purching a 2004 Buick LeSabre limited. The list price is about $34,000. With today's factory discounts what is a fair price to pay for the vehicle here in the Boston area.
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    ROMANELLO- Sorry about the problem with your new car. I have a 2004 LeSabre. The only problem that I have had was a rattling sun visor. The dealer replaced the visor without question.

I can tell you that when you have a problem with any GM (and probably other makes) car, the dealer will only replace a part if the scanner shows a code. If no code appears, they will usually note on the work order “unable to duplicate the problem”. Either the repairperson is unable to think for themselves or they depend on the scanner for a code and if none appears, they refuse to look further. I was told that the dealer would not replace a part even if they believe it is a fault because GM will not reimburse the dealer for any work done without a computer code.

If I were you, the first thing that I would do is go to the service manager and demand that this new vehicle be repaired. If this fails to take care of the problem, I would take the car in for service several times for the same problem and make sure that a work order is prepared and a copy given to you. Check your state on the lemon law, which you should be able to find on the Internet.

I had a 2000 Chev. Impala with a safety problem. I had it to the dealer seven times for the same problem. Each time the work order stated “unable to duplicate the problem. They refused to replace anything without a computer code.

I advised the service manager (as required) of my intent to file under the lemon law. I filed, and did all of the necessary steps required. GM, after a few weeks, returned all of my money plus the sales tax. I had no argument from them at all. Seems to me that they would have been better off by replacing a suspected part than return my money. As I recall California, required three attempts at repair before you could file under the lemon law.

Good luck. The LaSabre is a great car. You should be happy once the problem is corrected.
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    After a lot of research I have just replaced the General OEM tires on my 2000 LeSabre. The originals 225X60X16s lasted 44,000 miles. I keep tire pressure at 33psi. The passengers rear tire began a light whumping noise at speed and gradually got worse until I decided to replace the set. Cord deformity. In general the Generals were satisfactory but got louder and harsher with wear. The new tires are Yokohama Avid Touring. I bought them at a local Hibdon Tire dealer in Midwest City OK. Looked at Tire America but by the time you pay shipping and have them installed there is little if any savings. Also there is an advantage of having the purchase dealer local.
    One road trip of 300 miles has show a comfortable and much quieter ride but a rather peculiar low level electrical like hum at speed. Hoping that will improve as the newness wears off. Will update as the miles accumulate.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Did you try tirerack? They have extensive info on tires and will mail them to you? Prices are supposedly cheap but I have not used them?
         I am considering the LeSabre for a new car. How do you like yours? Any troubles? If you had to do it over, would you get the LeSabre again? Have you had any coolant or manifold problems? Do you have the Grand Touring suspension? This is stiffer than the regular one.
    My dad is considering a '00 LeSabre Limited. His decision is between the '00 Limited and an '01 Lincoln Continental. The LeSabre has 31k miles, leather power heated seats, automatic climate control with passenger temperature adjustment, auto dimming mirror with compass, heated outside mirrors, concert sound stereo with CD and cassette, rear air, homelink, and the driver infomation center. It's a very nice car, 1 owner, extremely clean, and was sold to the dealer as a result of it's owner being put in a nursing home. The "bottom dollar" is $12,800.
    The Lincoln has 34k miles, power leather seats (not heated), has the 4.6 V8, homelink, adjustable suspension, adjustable steering, driver information center, Alpine stereo with cassette and 6 disk changer, automatic climate control (no passenger ajustment), auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, heated outside mirrors with reverse tilt down, and rear air. The two are quite similar, and after driving both, it's a very difficult decision. What problems, if any, have you LeSabre owners experienced? I know older models had problems with front end alignment. Do the new generation have any problems with that? Dad is leaning more towards the Buick. Any info is helpful.
  • hagrawalhagrawal Member Posts: 20
    Recently we started having two problems: (a) the seats often donot return to the driver selected positions and (b) the seat heating activates by itself.

Has anyone encountered these problems? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    My dad got the '00 Limited he was looking at, and already 2 problems have arised in 4 days we've had it:
    It rides like a tire is out of balance at highway speeds, but after having tires balanced, still rides the same.
    Also, the driver door window quit working tonight. Our experience with GM vehicles is that the electronics go out all the time, expecially door locks and windows. However we didn't expect this one to happen so soon. The switch is working, because I hear it clicking, so my guess is that it's the motor. Any guesses? There was a '01 Lincoln Continental that is still sitting on the lot, and now that dad is singing the Buick Blues, I think he wishes he'd got the Lincoln instead.
    If you have 31K on the original tires and if they're General brand on 15 inch wheels, you probably have a bad tire. You might try having them Force Balanced on a Hunter 9700 balancer. That would identify the tire that's not rolling round. It may have a bad belt. My two sets of Generals on earlier LeSabres were 'not good tires.' Buick service manager has reminded me of this several times. They're also not a tire I would have wanted the company to replace at partial cost under warranty either.

You'd be better off replacing the tires with a quality tire that rolls with the same crush diameter.

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Ok, so now we're in the right place, I like Buicks, don't get me wrong. It's wierd, but Olds and Buick were my two favorite GM brands. My last Buick was a 91 Park Avenue, and while I really liked the car, it did disappoint me in quite a few areas. Like the short in the Windshield Wipers where it would intermittantly turn on the wipers for no reason. But the real pisser was the freeze plugs started leaking on the 3800 engine at about 40,000 miles, and had to be replaced - out of warranty of course. That turned me off. Concurrently, I had a 92 Continental which, while not a paragon of reliability either, was a much nicer vehicle.

So, keep us informed about Dad's Avalon - er, I mean LeSabre.
    My 03 has an armrest in the rear in the leather option. It does have cupholders in it even, but doesn't have a cubby hole for storage like the Park Avenue does.

The front cupholders on the 03 at least are great. The way they're built in makes them more sturdy than other hangon types earlier cars had.

Is that what yours are like? Is there a flip cover over the end of the front armrest that turns over to expose the cupholders?

The horn doesn't blow as easily as it should because of the stiffness of the plastic. I practice hitting the right spot sometimes, just to know where it is when I need it.

Freeze plugs: Haven't had trouble in 150K on my 1993 LeSabre, nvbanker. No trouble on the 98 LeSabre either, yet. I would guess you were unlucky enough to hit a sequence of bad plugs from a supplier (or poor specs from GM's engineering department).

Did have leaky intake manifold on 98 and uneven lockup on torque converter due to wear in valve body where the control valve moves to limit slip.
    If it makes it to 150K b efore tranny needs a rebuild, I'll be perfectly happy. May buy a smaller pickup truck as next purchase.

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yeah, I'm the only guy I know who lost his freeze plugs on a 3800, and I had a lot of those engines. I liked em, they were torquey, economical and pretty dependable, generally.